Dev Blog: Changes to Traits

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Two things to think about:

• Will they tweak the areas, given how there’ll less stats available?
  • Will they be implementing China’s 1 – 30 experience (the only logical explanation for moving traits up to 30)?

The question is, what exactly you have to do for that .. fine if it is all soloable, but would be bad if in the end you have to “buy” these skills maybe later from other players because you need to kill champs or do things in Dungeons that nobody else does anymore.

You can buy traits from a vendor, so if there’s a specific trait you want, but you don’t want to do that bit of content, you can still get it.

Of course we don’t now the prices till now. And if they want to “force” us to “enjoy” content we maybe don’t want to play, i believe these price could be quite high and its maybe less expensive to buy a dungeon path from other players or whatever.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

I like some of the changes, but the 30 levels before traits seemed off. My first reaction was that it may be a by-product of changes going into the Chinese version ( it also smells a bit of being able to pay to access it sooner). The timing also has an impact on me thinking this, since EU/US levelling is ghost town.

Whether that’s right or wrong doesn’t change the sentiment of my reaction, which is that this is an obstacle. Lucky I have all the alts I’ll ever need at 80.

(edited by dace.8019)

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Yes, the lack of templates with the current “free” system is puzzling. Having 2 template slots by default but extendible via gemstore looks good.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Storm of the Ages.9076

Storm of the Ages.9076

First thing I thought of =o But we would need a lot more than 2 free slots. Once you can save builds, people will start trying crazy things. It will really open up diversity ^.^

Posted by: OneManArmy.9732

OneManArmy.9732

Great work ANet. If you also add templates/profiles for traits/gear it will be even better!

but it seems unfair for low lvls. I think you should lock traits for all char’s, even for 80.

(edited by OneManArmy.9732)

Beldin.5498

Tbh I am wondering if this is all in aid of a possible incoming increase to lvl cap, that would certainly explain some of this..

With those changes in my opinion they can better decrease the max level to 20, so that we get starting from level 6, at least 1 skillpoint every level.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Two things to think about:

• Will they tweak the areas, given how there’ll less stats available?
  • Will they be implementing China’s 1 – 30 experience (the only logical explanation for moving traits up to 30)?

The question is, what exactly you have to do for that .. fine if it is all soloable, but would be bad if in the end you have to “buy” these skills maybe later from other players because you need to kill champs or do things in Dungeons that nobody else does anymore.

You can buy traits from a vendor, so if there’s a specific trait you want, but you don’t want to do that bit of content, you can still get it.

Of course we don’t now the prices till now. And if they want to “force” us to “enjoy” content we maybe don’t want to play, i believe these price could be quite high and its maybe less expensive to buy a dungeon path from other players or whatever.

Unless I overlooked it, we also dont know the currency that will be required. Im holding out hope that it will be skill points rather than gold.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

You guys aren’t considering the fact that they completely redid the 1-30 experience for the Chinese client. I think they might do the same thing here. So while you are complaining about zones and difficulties and such that may all change when they unveil the new 1-30 progression in the “building foundations” blog post.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Great work ANet. If you also add templates/profiles for traits/gear it will be even better!

Agree. I really love This Suggestion

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

One of the screenshots in the announcement/article shows a trait that is unlocked by defeating the High Wizard guarding the entrance to Arah. I’m sure there will be a surge of players doing all these events for unlocks shortly after the update hits. But good luck getting that later on.

The only time many events like that are done on my server is with the post-reset world boss train. Which is nothing but a mess of lag and overflows that I have no desire to participate in.

The ‘option’ to buy the unlocks from an NPC will likely end up being the only option for many of us to get some of the new traits.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

They only showed one GM trait for each class. Every trait line is getting a new one for every profession. Save your opinions for it til it goes live. I for one and mad hype for a new meta. We were already dealing with OP builds and there will be plenty of OP builds afterwards, they will just be different builds. I am ready for different builds.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

You guys aren’t considering the fact that they completely redid the 1-30 experience for the Chinese client. I think they might do the same thing here. So while you are complaining about zones and difficulties and such that may all change when they unveil the new 1-30 progression in the “building foundations” blog post.

If you remember, both the Chinesse and the Western audience reacted negatively to changes made to the Chinesse client. It did not make the game better, it just made it really grindy.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I wouldn’t mind some of the Chinese changes. As long as we don’t get any VIP Gemstore service.

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Well, it’s just my opininon, but if you are a pure PvE player, you rarely need more than 2 spec. Suddenly only my guardian came to my mind to swap between a GS SW/F set and a hammer set for fractals, but you get it.
In WvW it could be the same.
If you play between the two game modes, 2 template seems to be enough for me.

For a reasonable price, the extension can work. 400 gem for an extra slot is what i would like personally, but even if it’s 800 i could live with it, since i wouldn’t need more than 2 anyway. :P

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

I just have to say you don’t know who Laidri is do you? She was an epic hard boss like character during the Queen’s Jubilee. You had to solo her, and only a small percentage of the player base was able to beat her. By placing a trait behind her would mean only about 15% of the player base would be able to get said trait. This would be terrible. There is no world trains for her and she isn’t done any more cause she doesn’t exist in game at the moment (she might return next Queen’s Jubilee).

I’m sorry, I mixed her up with the temple of lyssa event. But why would they automatically attach crucial skills to temporary events anyway. I wouldn’t worry about that.

The guy’s point was not about the temporary content aspect but placing a skill behind such a big wall. Such as adding new content that can only be soloed that is just as tough or tougher than Laidri for a new trait or skill. There should be alternatives for the people who are unable to complete said content.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: guardian.6489

guardian.6489

More options are good. Keep in mind these changes are more geared towards new players rather then old players with massive piles of gold.

1g or even 50sil per trait might not sound much to you but to a newbie who’s just finished leveling up with barely 2g to spare and looking to get exotics, killing the Risen Wizards for a free trait sounds like a decent deal.

I still remember 2g for the grandmaster trait book feeling like a massive amount of cash.

Retired Leader of TTS

Posted by: Deadplanet.3810

Deadplanet.3810

Yes credit where credit is due. This is a proper QoL improvement for me.. Thank you Anet! You also got me really curious and excited for the rest of the upcoming features.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

And thats why leveling should be made even more boring ?

I just wonder if that will also have impact on mobs. Do they have also traits ? I just always had the feeling that somewhere around lvl 12-15 the mobs started to get much harder than the lower mobs. Now if players get even weaker will those mobs also get weaker because of missing skills / traits or proportionally harder ?

I’m not sure if “boring” can have gradations. For me, it’s usually either interesting, okay or boring, with leveling being boring. At the moment, we do not know how this will affect monsters, but the logical thing to do would be to nerf respective level monsters down (or = buff base player stats) to make leveling “equally boring”. And really, I wouldn’t be surprised if they nerfed open world “roaming” mobs even more to speed up leveling.

20 level 80s and counting.

(edited by Lishtenbird.2814)

Posted by: Jealle.1926

Jealle.1926

yes they say u will be able to purchase them but i couldnt see where it said it was gold you purchased with, maybe it will be skill points, or skill points and small coin cost

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Yep. In general i’m loving the new trait system and its a huge step foward. But it was a great time to give us trait template. The update is in 3 weeks, so maybe they are working on it right now, but didn’t put it in the preview just in case they can’t give is on the 15th april.

Anyways. Even without trait template, it will be way more easy to play different build.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

If you remember, both the Chinesse and the Western audience reacted negatively to changes made to the Chinesse client. It did not make the game better, it just made it really grindy.

There was no reaction on how much the difficulty of the early content was tweaked. Mostly talking about Personal Story here, because the open world 1-30 zones are very easy anyway even for lower levels.

Posted by: ElysianEternity.6215

ElysianEternity.6215

Well, since there’s no say to how much buying these skills will cost and unlocking them for every alt might be repetitive and boring, here’s a random idea:

Lower the cost of the instant-skill unlock by 10% or 20% for every alt on that account.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

One of the screenshots in the announcement/article shows a trait that is unlocked by defeating the High Wizard guarding the entrance to Arah. I’m sure there will be a surge of players doing all these events for unlocks shortly after the update hits. But good luck getting that later on.

I would like to point out this part of the blog:

All major traits will be locked on characters created after the feature pack. All existing characters created before this feature pack will be have all previously existing major traits unlocked.

Given that, I think there will not be a real rush to do most of these events, because all existing characters will already have those things unlocked. Only the events for the new Grandmaster traits will be locked for exisiting characters, and only those events will get rushed.

Adept and Master trait events, as well as ones for currently existing Grandmaster traits, will stay as ignored as they currently are, until some new characters reach a level to need to take them on.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Beldin.5498

The only time many events like that are done on my server is with the post-reset world boss train. Which is nothing but a mess of lag and overflows that I have no desire to participate in.

The ‘option’ to buy the unlocks from an NPC will likely end up being the only option for many of us to get some of the new traits.

Yeah .. with all my later alts i haven’t even been to Orr at all, since i don’t really like Orr that much. So that would mean first i have find and fight the whole tedious way through Straits and Malchors Leap with that “funny” Event before the bridge when you are alone there, and then maybe guest to another server to find people that maybe make this event.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

There was no reaction on how much the difficulty of the early content was tweaked. Mostly talking about Personal Story here, because the open world 1-30 zones are very easy anyway even for lower levels.

Because it was not tweaked. It was simply made grindy. Fight with weapon 1 until you level up enough to unlock other weapon skills. Level up till a certain level to unlock vistas. Level up to even unlock the personal story. The Chinese version is horrible and grindy.

Posted by: Aktarus.5612

Aktarus.5612

Finally they will made a good free change, but guys stop to speak about pay something with gems, on gw1 it was infinite template(trait/armor/weapon) , all for free…

So don’t start to ask to pay for something, there is enough gemstore in this game, and never ask this specially for basic game mechanics , plz…Its just a saving option on our computer…don’t need to pay for this.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Oh, so the game needed more reasons to make leveling alts less attractive.

Whatever.

My thoughts…

“Wow, I actually want to level an alt now! I can feel rewarded for exploring everything again, and grow in strength and ability as well! It’s like Guild Wars 1!”

Amazing how opinions can differ, eh?

Of course opinions differ. I don’t like leveling at all, and prefer my progression to be built sideways. There’s simply too much content balanced around max level characters these days and thus starting a new character seems simply gated to me at this point. Adding stuff like WxP for WvW, my most common activity, is still soulbound and yes, I think this going to make me care even less about alts. I only have 2 alts atm, of which one was my former main so doesn’t really count. I do have several level 20 scrolls and a dozen level up scrolls so most likely I will ignore most of this anyways.

If I were to have it my way, the level cap would be 20, but that’s just how I feel.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

All major traits will be locked on characters created after the feature pack. All existing characters created before this feature pack will be have all previously existing major traits unlocked.

Given that, I think there will not be a real rush to do most of these events, because all existing characters will already have those things unlocked. Only the events for the new Grandmaster traits will be locked for exisiting characters, and only those events will get rushed.

Adept and Master trait events, as well as ones for currently existing Grandmaster traits, will stay as ignored as they currently are, until some new characters reach a level to need to take them on.

So I wonder if this is also, like, level 20s we have now will have all the traits unlocked, even if they aren’t now (like, grandmaster traits). I’m going to keep one alt at 20 to see, but my next character I’m going to bring to at least 60 before this patch, for sure.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

First thing I thought of =o But we would need a lot more than 2 free slots. Once you can save builds, people will start trying crazy things. It will really open up diversity ^.^

Buy in gem store if you need more than two. Simple as that.

Dalanor.5387

Aktarus i understand you, but you can’t get everything for free. Giving the option for 2 free template is more than enough anyway as i wrote above. If the price is reasonable, you have the option to get more template and Anet gets some money. Win-Win.

Even your bank and bag slots are free and you know what? Expandable for gems. So i don’t see your problem.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

I still think this is an april’s fools joke…i mean come oooon…a ranger buff that is actually a good buff? Any of u guys actually believe this?

Posted by: Storm of the Ages.9076

Storm of the Ages.9076

In gw1, I had a minimum of 10 specs for each class, and almost everyone that I knew that played did. Just 2 spots for free would be a huge mistake, and I think anet would already know that. IF a restriction was to be added, it should be much larger, as there will be dozens of builds a person will want to save on their main.

Posted by: Rangersix.1754

Rangersix.1754

More options are good. Keep in mind these changes are more geared towards new players rather then old players with massive piles of gold.

1g or even 50sil per trait might not sound much to you but to a newbie who’s just finished leveling up with barely 2g to spare and looking to get exotics, killing the Risen Wizards for a free trait sounds like a decent deal.

I still remember 2g for the grandmaster trait book feeling like a massive amount of cash.

The problem is though, that the world is quite dead at the moment. If veteran players are encouraged to go outside and participate in world events again, this will also improve the situation for new and casual players.

Instead of having to gather gold because no one is doing events in the world, events would be done far more often, allowing new players to do events in the first place.

Beldin.5498

Tell that my level 23 thief that was dead in 2 seconds when 2 or 3 Icebrood Wolves in Snowden Drifts jumped at her.

I don’t know why many people always say that it all is sooo easy, when infact i don’t know any other MMO where i died more often than in GW2 while leveling because of the bugged respawn rate, where mobs instan respawn that you just killed and how mobs often spawn out of nothing in events and whatever.

Palador.2170

Tbh I am wondering if this is all in aid of a possible incoming increase to lvl cap, that would certainly explain some of this..

That … would explain everything.

[Edit] In fact, it bothered me that the “every 6 levels” for a trait point didn’t work out to end on level 80. But if you carry it a bit further, you’ll see that it does end nicely on level 90.

It’s one point every 6 levels from 30 – 66, then 2 points up to 80.

You’ll start acquiring points at level 30, when the adept trait tier is unlocked, then you’ll earn one trait point every six levels until level 66, when you’ll start earning two trait points at a time.

30 – 1 pt
36 – 1 pt
42 – 1 pt
48 – 1 pt
54 – 1 pt
60 – 1 pt
66 – 2 pt
72 – 2 pt
78 – 2 pt

Total: 12 points.

To match our current trait allotment, they need to add in two extra points at level 80, breaking the pattern. However, if you continue on with the pattern:

84 – 2 pt
90 – 2 pt

Total: 16 points.

It’s a nice, even stopping point, and only 2 trait points more than the 14 we’ll be getting.

Posted by: Turgut.4397

Turgut.4397

This is good. Although some people run different equipment sets with different builds. They should implement swapping system for that too.

Still waiting for the things I love about GW1.

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

In gw1, I had a minimum of 10 specs for each class, and almost everyone that I knew that played did. Just 2 spots for free would be a huge mistake, and I think anet would already know that. IF a restriction was to be added, it should be much larger, as there will be dozens of builds a person will want to save on their main.

I expect the temple unlock in the gem store would be account wide, so if you really want more than two, you can convert gold to gems and buy a few slots. I expect them to be about 200-400 gems for each unlock.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Im hoping this is what the changes to Looking for Group are all about – a way to identify groups across servers (and then easily move/guest to that server – or, even better, a copy of the zone similar to an overflow for people interested in that event) that are working on select dynamic events or zones. It’s not an easy problem to solve, but there is potential there.

Posted by: OneManArmy.9732

OneManArmy.9732

one more idea. make achievement for finishing all traits challenge and reward…title I suppose, class specific that can only be visible on specific prof. like pvp titles (champ.magus , etc), but not so boring like they are

I see, you ll take us a lot of info about new patch, I m rly curious about your new ideas and improvements. GL

Hail Sat…I mean Anet

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

That … would explain everything.

[Edit] In fact, it bothered me that the “every 6 levels” for a trait point didn’t work out to end on level 80. But if you carry it a bit further, you’ll see that it does end nicely on level 90.

It’s one point every 6 levels from 30 – 66, then 2 points up to 80.

You’ll start acquiring points at level 30, when the adept trait tier is unlocked, then you’ll earn one trait point every six levels until level 66, when you’ll start earning two trait points at a time.

30 – 1 pt
36 – 1 pt
42 – 1 pt
48 – 1 pt
54 – 1 pt
60 – 1 pt
66 – 2 pt
72 – 2 pt
78 – 2 pt

Total: 12 points.

To match our current trait allotment, they need to add in two extra points at level 80, breaking the pattern. However, if you continue on with the pattern:

84 – 2 pt
90 – 2 pt

Total: 16 points.

It’s a nice, even stopping point, and only 2 trait points more than the 14 we’ll be getting.

Hmm…but them extra two points would allow players to build two full trait lines and up to master on a third, since each point is now worth 5.

Unless they were introducing an Ubergrandmaster tier, I can’t see them adding two extra points.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Build templates would be an incredibly moistening addition to go with this change.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

Good point. While I think the decision for traits being unlocked via gameplay is a good one, they might have failed to consider the fact that this update won’t create enough interest in these events for them to actually be viable means of unlocking…even in the short term after the update.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: Turgut.4397

Turgut.4397

I expect the temple unlock in the gem store would be account wide, so if you really want more than two, you can convert gold to gems and buy a few slots. I expect them to be about 200-400 gems for each unlock.

Why should this feature cost us money? And why are people discussing it’s prices? Such a basic feature was 100% free in GW1 and accessible with the click of a button. You can save dozens maybe hundreds of builds. I don’t see why people jump straight to the payment options before really thinking it through. We’re already being bombarded with gem store items and restrictions (the account-wide bank space is a good example).

Still waiting for the things I love about GW1.

(edited by Turgut.4397)

Posted by: guardian.6489

guardian.6489

The problem is though, that the world is quite dead at the moment. If veteran players are encouraged to go outside and participate in world events again, this will also improve the situation for new and casual players.

Instead of having to gather gold because no one is doing events in the world, events would be done far more often, allowing new players to do events in the first place.

I’d argue that’s more of a problem with the current system of servers instead of districts then the new trait unlock system itself. Old players are always going to ignore old content they don’t enjoy anymore, the real solution is only to put all new players in the same overflow/district so there’s enough to do low-level content. Even if you force vetern players to do events in order to unlock everything, they’ll just unlock everything quickly and go back to ignoring old content again.

Besides it’s not like all these events are outside of what a vetern player will do. From the sounds of the risen priest, a lot of them would fall into being on the world boss train which a lot of servers do.

Retired Leader of TTS

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Because it was not tweaked. It was simply made grindy. Fight with weapon 1 until you level up enough to unlock other weapon skills. Level up till a certain level to unlock vistas. Level up to even unlock the personal story. The Chinese version is horrible and grindy.

And that has nothing to do with how easy or hard the content was in the Chinese version. They said they will tweak the early experience for it, making lower level content (mostly Personal story instances) a lot easier than they currently are.

Also, according to Mike OBrian (because I haven’t played the Chinese version) things like Vistas, WvW and Skill challenges etc are already active in the Chinese version no matter of your level, BUT the game doesn’t give you UI options to see them.

He gave an example of WvW, there is no icon on the top of your screen to go to WvW until you reached a certain level, but you CAN go there using the Asura gates, at any level. You can do those things even at level 1, the game only doesn’t show them on the minimap/map until you level up for some weird reason only Anet knows. That’s not more grindy.

For the weapon skills yes it’s a stupid change I’ll never understand.

There is no indication that they will bring those changes to the EU/NA version. Other than the promised “tweak” to the early content difficulty.

Palador.2170

Unless they were introducing an Ubergrandmaster tier, I can’t see them adding two extra points.

I can easily see them doing that, though. Limit it to just one Uber per character, so you don’t have someone using two, and you’re good to go. The Ubers could even be something like “One extra trait from this trait line”, allowing you to grab that one extra trait that you had to skip to get the one you really wanted.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I can easily see them doing that, though. Limit it to just one Uber per character, so you don’t have someone using two, and you’re good to go. The Ubers could even be something like “One extra trait from this trait line”, allowing you to grab that one extra trait that you had to skip to get the one you really wanted.

But surely if they were going to add that, they’d have said that in this blog post?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Dalanor.5387

Because it’s reasonable that they will follow the same route with this, as with character, bag and bank slots.
You get a nice amount of that feature for free and if it isn’t enough for you, you can expand it further.
Honestly, a lot of players don’t even have 5 characters or maxed out bank / bag.

Same with this. If it’s character based (i don’t think an account wide template makes sense), 2 slot is more than enough. See my above comment why.

edit: Maybe in GW1 you had 23523626 viable and optimal build, but this game is called GW2.

Posted by: Nat.4029

Nat.4029

If this is what we get to look forward to in this feature patch, then I’d like to give a very sarcastic “Yay!”.

Valar Morghulis

Palador.2170

But surely if they were going to add that, they’d have said that in this blog post?

Not if the level raise isn’t in the update patch. This could be just groundwork for a later raise.