Developers thought on Ascended?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Butter.3024

Butter.3024

Why is getting ascended weapon based completely on luck ( low drop rate like precursor ) or an cost extreme amount of gold via crafting?

I guess Anet really wants to bring back crafting, but seriously though, can Anet develops like a bunch of quest and after we finishes each quest we get a small pieces and then all together makes Ascended Weapon, ideally it should took 3-4 weeks to finish the quest. I think that will be a lot more enjoyable for everyone.

We already got Legendary to grind, please dont add on Ascended….

Really hope Anet rethinks about this before releasing Ascended Armor.

Posted by: Eviscera.9703

Eviscera.9703

Thank you! This is a great idea. I don’t even think Anet knew what the hell they were doing when they introduced the ascended weapons. Why do you force us to do the same kittening kitten all over again?! (Gold farming) When you could make the journey alot more fun.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

One reason it’s entirely based on luck is because if it wasn’t, the games economy would be destroyed. Ascended weapons would sell for cheaper than level 20 weapons. If all you had to do was kill BOSS X to get an ascended weapon, people would line up for hours and farm Boss X. Within a day, ascended weapons would be cheaper than level 20 weapons. ANet would most likely react by putting up a time gate on BOSS X which would start a whine fest like never seen before here. That is why ascended weapons are RNG based.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think it is a choice whether you ‘grind’ for gold to craft or not. I am nearly to 500 on crafting and I haven’t spent a dime on it. If you are in a rush to get Ascended weapons, then you will have to spend gold to get the materials quickly. If you aren’t in a rush, then the materials will come to you as you play. No extra costs.

To me, at least, it’s all a matter of choice.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Really difficult to get all the ori and ancient wood coming to me as I play WvW Not to mention that the “take it easy” approach will be so slow for people that play less than 2h a day that they might get full BiS in years, especially considering armors.

@OP: unfortunately they haven’t commented on anything related for a while now, I doubt they will do anything about it

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, I rarely go out and gather those materials. Very rarely. I get most of mine from salvaging items. My point is that there really is more than the two choices: luck or extreme amounts of gold. Not sure why a goal taking months or even years is such a bad thing. It is ok to be in it for the long haul. Took me several years to get some of the top items in GW1, and I have no problem with it taking me years to get items here.
I understand many, if not most, people would rather not wait, though. I’m just an odd duck. =P

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It’s supposed to be a long-term goal, for those people who were complaining that once you’ve got full exotics there is no character progression, nothing to work towards and this game “needs” a gear treadmill.

Hopefully they won’t ever add a full treadmill (where ascended gear would be required to begin grinding for the next set, which would then let you grind for the one after, ad infinium) but they have given them one set to work on and deliberately made it take a long time because that’s what players asked for.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Not sure why a goal taking months or even years is such a bad thing. It is ok to be in it for the long haul. Took me several years to get some of the top items in GW1, and I have no problem with it taking me years to get items here.

We know we’re getting ascended armor only three months after ascended weapons. Most of us won’t have ascended weapons for our characters by the time that armor is available. If the pattern continues, we won’t have the armor by the time masterwork infusions are available. Then there are Rare infusions, followed by Exotic, then Escended.

Infusions aren’t much now, but you can bet by the time we’re at Ascended rarity, they’ll be statistically significant.

That’s the problem with BiS gear taking so long to acquire. Only the hardcore will be able to enjoy having BiS gear. The rest of us will be continually trying to catch up.

(edited by Gibson.4036)

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

It’s just too bad that the people who desperately need stats to constantly chase didn’t stick with any one of the large number of games available that offer it to them.

Those of us content with endgame “progression” consisting of cosmetic rewards and horizontal development would just like one MMORPG to call home.

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

It’s just too bad that the people who desperately need stats to constantly chase didn’t stick with any one of the large number of games available that offer it to them.

Those of us content with endgame “progression” consisting of cosmetic rewards and horizontal development would just like one MMORPG to call home.

^ yea.. u know i was happy being able to easily obtain different BiS gear to experiment on builds and mixing and matching armor looks

As for the OP, well I sure would like it if there are more fun and direct ways for ascendeds but really when devs already said how they didnt like how ‘fast’ we got exotics, i guess its likely we wont get these kind of implementation.

Wudnt knw how much it would affect the economy though, given that ascendeds are account bounds…

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

One reason it’s entirely based on luck is because if it wasn’t, the games economy would be destroyed. Ascended weapons would sell for cheaper than level 20 weapons. If all you had to do was kill BOSS X to get an ascended weapon, people would line up for hours and farm Boss X. Within a day, ascended weapons would be cheaper than level 20 weapons. ANet would most likely react by putting up a time gate on BOSS X which would start a whine fest like never seen before here. That is why ascended weapons are RNG based.

Considering the weapons are account bound, I’m not really sure what you’re getting at.

The reason Ascended takes so many resources is because it’s supposed to be the end-all to character stat progression. There was an interview with the game director in which he stated that players crashed into the power plateau much faster than anyone had anticipated. The new crafting system is made to be a way to progress your character over a period of time. Crafting and acquiring the necessary materials is the progression.

Ascended weapons, and soon armor, by design, are long term goals and players are getting frustrated because they’re dumping loads of gold into the process expecting to be finished everything as fast as other content can be completed. Granted, the option is available for players who have excessive amounts of gold to unload and make the weapon in a day, but this is also working as the intended gold sink.

The best advice you can get in terms of ascended crafting is to take your time. There is NO content in which the weapons are absolutely required at the moment, and it doesn’t look like there will be any time soon. Fractals were being done at high levels without them for almost a year as well.

Posted by: Mahedros.9103

Mahedros.9103

Considering the weapons are account bound, I’m not really sure what you’re getting at.

The reason Ascended takes so many resources is because it’s supposed to be the end-all to character stat progression. There was an interview with the game director in which he stated that players crashed into the power plateau much faster than anyone had anticipated. The new crafting system is made to be a way to progress your character over a period of time. Crafting and acquiring the necessary materials is the progression.

Ascended weapons, and soon armor, by design, are long term goals and players are getting frustrated because they’re dumping loads of gold into the process expecting to be finished everything as fast as other content can be completed. Granted, the option is available for players who have excessive amounts of gold to unload and make the weapon in a day, but this is also working as the intended gold sink.

The best advice you can get in terms of ascended crafting is to take your time. There is NO content in which the weapons are absolutely required at the moment, and it doesn’t look like there will be any time soon. Fractals were being done at high levels without them for almost a year as well.

The real problem is that you NEED to craft to get them, i dont like to be told how to play a game and thats wat they doing, " u want BiS item? well u has to craft!"

SF- Mahedros – Necro [ARG]-
Januz- Ele [ARG]

Posted by: Xcom.1926

Xcom.1926

They want this to be the last tier, at least that is what they say. So they want it to take a while to get it.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

I’ve decided not to spend any gold on crafting to 500. I enjoy going out and collecting materials, and turning those materials into other things. I go out into Tyria every day on a harvesting run… I haven’t even been playing the game for long, and I already have several armor sets, a legendary on another character, everyhting but the precursor for the bifrost, 3 level 80’s… This game needed ascended crafting. At least it gives me something to work on while waiting to acquire enough gold for my precursor.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

They want this to be the last tier, at least that is what they say. So they want it to take a while to get it.

People for whose this “last tier” was designed for will get them in a matter of days. “A while” to get it (or never) is how much will it take for all those that didn’t really need a new tier in the game at all.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

I understand not wanting to craft for BiS and I’ve seen/had this conversation with others in this forum. I think a lot of the frustration comes from knowing that any other type of gear or skin that a player wants, there is usually at least one other method to acquire it.

Ascended items, however, are the final tier of progression that we will see, likely for good. The importance of making them difficult, or time consuming, is so that there is a feeling of progression while working towards your weapon – collecting materials, practicing craft, accumulating skill points, etc.

In all fairness, I suppose crafting was kind of a cop-out to a more interesting form of acquisition, but now it’s what we have unless you want to roll RNG dice. On the other hand, implementing the weapons through crafting was a way to satisfy multiple requests; namely, the need for a more significant crafting system, the motivation to complete world events and dungeons, and the need to have a sort of progression.

It was stated multiple times that ascended crafting is a long-term goal, and frankly there is not even a need that exist in the game for ascended weapons/armor other than personal. They may be significant in fractals eventually, but I am sure that this entire system wasn’t created for that relatively small group of players.

The hard part of the task is actually getting to 500. Once you cap, the weapons pour in so the benefit is certainly there. Armor may be another story, as the sheer amount of Ori/Gossamer that will be needed is super intimidating.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I really like what the OP suggested, its adds new content to the game takes the same amount of time to aquire as the crafting route and gives players something to actually strive for and do instead of a two week temp thing..

Honestly op i think you should be making this game i’d actually play it, to the others he never said it would be sellable and it would be in pieces to acquire, which would be account bound..

Sounds good to me new quests, story line and an epic reward at the end sign me up. Finally some one with some good ideas.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

There was an interview with the game director in which he stated that players crashed into the power plateau much faster than anyone had anticipated.

That is a lie Anet told to justify the new stat grind. Please refer to the following quote:

“Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.” – Colin, Eurogamer, September 2011.

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

or an cost extreme amount of gold via crafting?

If you take the time to get your own mats, like I did, it doesn’t cost all that much.

There was an interview with the game director in which he stated that players crashed into the power plateau much faster than anyone had anticipated.

That is a lie Anet told to justify the new stat grind. Please refer to the following quote:

“Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.” – Colin, Eurogamer, September 2011.

They also said a lot of things around that time, and even after, that ended up getting cut. Their stance on iterative development, however, has always remained consistent. Colin’s original vision for “best statistical loot at 80” went the way of the NPC companions before it and energy potions afterward. When a game company embraces iterative development, stuff’s gonna change.

The intent behind his statement, the goal for that original design, hasn’t changed. All of the game’s content can be done successfully upon reaching level 80. You don’t need best in slot for anything. It’ll make your day a bit easier, sure, but it’s not required.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

(edited by DusK.3849)

Posted by: Ferum Flamebender.5910

Ferum Flamebender.5910

Why just make it a boss? Arenanet allready violated enough of it’s manifesto, give us a quest log for some certain quests (like the quests for ascended). Make us do 4 uterly hard quests or something! A prime example of such thing is the way you had to aquire the black moa chick minipet in gw1: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Black_Moa_Chick

You had to do a bunch of stuff that took long walks, through zones full of enemies and getting materials to fill the inquibator, and then you had to walk into the lair of the stone summit (forgot it’s name) and then fight the ironforge man!

So much stuff that took a long time to get it done. The same can be done for ascended weapons!

Aetra Ironbender, Rated E for Engineer- [WoT] Warlocks of Tyria- Far Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Why is getting ascended weapon based completely on luck ( low drop rate like precursor ) or an cost extreme amount of gold via crafting?

I guess Anet really wants to bring back crafting, but seriously though, can Anet develops like a bunch of quest and after we finishes each quest we get a small pieces and then all together makes Ascended Weapon, ideally it should took 3-4 weeks to finish the quest. I think that will be a lot more enjoyable for everyone.

We already got Legendary to grind, please dont add on Ascended….

Really hope Anet rethinks about this before releasing Ascended Armor.

Personally: my thoughts on ascended are this:

• Let us gather it through an enticing and challenging quest line!
  • Don’t make us farm materials…, but give us pieces as part of a scavenger hunt
  • Leave out the crafting altogether: getting to 500 crafting is an expense no casual player can afford so it is really pay to win.
  • Make the pieces soulbound so you can’t just go buying materials for the ascended and then craft them like a boss.
  • Bring new characters in that will be a part of the development of the weapon/armour, either as protagonists or as allies.
Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain