Devs, GW2 finally helping Roleplayers...? :C

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Also fixing the range of /em being seen would be nice as well, as it way too large. Putting it as the same range as text I think would fix that and not sure why it has not been done all this time.

Please! This needs to happen. Rata Sum and the Grove are some of the worst locations to visit because of the emote range.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There were enough roleplayers at launch to completely fill two servers (Tarnished Coast and Piken Square, having been selected by rp’ers as the unofficial rp servers pre launch, became near impossible to get on soon after launch). That’s a good hunk of players, enough to be an important demographic to consider.

And yet my guild went to TC and none of us roleplay. Saying that there were two servers full of roleplayers is not necessarily accurate. We don’t know what percentage of the people coming to those servers actually RP.

For example, I come to RP servers in every game I play because I like the people on them better. They tend to be more helpful or carebear which appeals to me. It matches my in game temperment, even though I don’t RP. And I’m sure I’m not alone.

Several servers filled up pretty fast at launch and none of the others were RP servers, so it’s hard to say that even most people on TC or Piken Square RP. I don’t really believe that was every the case.

Not to say there isn’t an RP community but there’s no way to tell from an unofficial server being full that it was mostly RPers. In fact, I’m wondering how many people who chose TC didn’t even know it was the unofficial RP server.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Well, the select box will work for that too: it simply makes more likely to find RP, that is. So if you RP you’ll have an easier time contacting people to make stories, and if you simply like seeing characters acting “in character”, you’ll be more likely find places with dramatic and inmersive activities.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: CaptainVanguard.4925

CaptainVanguard.4925

Adding a megaserver “type” would be moderatley easy since its simply more freedom to let players pick which server they want to be part of within the megaserver.

Honestly however, making this even easier, simply make it possible that when your in a city hub, I.E. Lions Arch, DR, Hoelbrek etc… you have the “option” of selecting Roleplay as a server preference, allowing you to enter the roleplaying instance of that city and “only” that version, granted it might not be as effective as making it entirley open world but it would be easier to programme and make.

Posted by: Kyra Wolfe.1879

Kyra Wolfe.1879

Keep ’m coming folk!

Another thing I personally would like… mounts. I know everyone says they’re not needed with Waypoints, and I know they’re not… but we already have a broom and flying carpet, so why not a Dolyak, Drake, Elk or Gryphon?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

About the emote range — they did fix that at some point. Certainly they toned it down from beta to launch. In some patch or other the range expanded again and despite complaints I don’t think they ever again reduced it to reasonable levels.

It should reach far enough to accommodate a larger gathering, so, say, across the width of the LA jellyfish plaza, but not across a whole city.

I do like the idea of being able to toggle RP on as a megaserver preference.

To your most recent post, Kyra, you are heading for a severe derail. I suggest you move that over to the Mounts thread and leave that concept out of RP QoL requests for now.

Posted by: Kyra Wolfe.1879

Kyra Wolfe.1879

Ah- fair enough! I did wish them for RP purposes, but I get where you’re coming from! My apologies.

My preferences are still;
- more customisation
- possible bigger mini’s
- returned dyeable town clothing
- description possibility
- glow turned off. for fps or RP, I don’t care truly.

I haven’t had as much issue with the sharding myself, but I do understand why people would want it. So a choice in the matter would indeed be nice!

Posted by: CaptainVanguard.4925

CaptainVanguard.4925

What “could” happen regarding a potential idea for tonics is that they could have a Tonics Tab for non combat tonics, allowing you to store them like you do with other wardrobe cosmetics and “possibly” add some kind of dye system through that, “maybe”.

Posted by: AuroraW.7149

AuroraW.7149

Don’t do any organized roleplay, but what I really miss in this game is being able to SIT on objects in a normal sitting position, let it be the furniture galore shattered all over Tyria or any other ‘sittable’ object or piece of the landscape. :-)

Booga: I took the bullets out of their guns. That was smart, huh?
Tank Girl: Booga, that was very smart.
Gath Gealaich | Rémi Heltzer [GN] – Elona [D]

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

One thing I would like to add to my list of stuff I want to see that might help Roleplayers is the animations to work again – i.e. at the moment if another player is sat, they are still stood for people who weren’t nearby when the /sit originally happened!

Also, to add to my point about how selectable megaservers might help Roleplayers: It’d help new players more than established roleplayers. Currently myself and Kyra (we know each other both on Piken) have a big friend list so we rarely have trouble. But new roleplayers are struggling to find roleplay at the moment. I think selectable megaservers will help them a great deal, and increase out population if the RP community decides on one shard for the go-to RP shard (if they’re named).

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Sulfarius.1756

Sulfarius.1756

There’s certainly some things I like that are being suggested in here. I also do think that some people ask for a bit too much.

- Character description/Bio is perhaps the single most important tool to be added to give RPers some QoL. It’s annoying for both you and others around you when you keep having to emote that you carry an instrument on your back, have a scar somewhere visible and so on, whenever new people arrive. Even whispering people this info is a bit annoying, as you don’t always know for sure if that person even cares. Being able to write this on a bio/description would save a lot of trouble!

- Fix emotes. Right now, when someone is /sitting but you weren’t there when they sent the emote to the server, you don’t see their model sitting down. Asking people to redo emotes is annoying!

Those are really the only two that are most important… and one of them is just a bug fix. I think it’s also important to keep in mind, when thinking about stuff you’d like to see for RPers, you keep in mind the none-rping part of the playerbase. The more players you can appeal with an idea, the more likely it is that Anet would do it. A character bio/description can be good fun for someone that doesn’t RP, yet still likes to immerse themselves in the world. Sitting on a random chair in a bar… barely relevant for them… however, suggest them to add an item/emote that makes you pull out a chair, regardless of a chair being near… and taaadaaa, many people would enjoy that thus Anet is more likely to think about adding it!

Edit: About the megaserver issue. Perhaps Anet can simply add a “RP” tag at PS and TC. Homeserver helps you connect with others that selected the same server and should thus make it easier for people to find RPers when they selected these servers.

(edited by Sulfarius.1756)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

On your edit: Sadly that won’t happen. ANet has never wanted to designate RP servers as such. That leads to them being expected to “police” behavior there. Adding a tag would make them official. Also, TC at least is fairly constantly full thanks to its solid WvW performance, so NA players who want an RP server might see that tag, be unable to join, and elect not to join the game after all. Megaservers mean that RPers can join an RP guild to have a chance to get into maps holding fellow RPers. It’s far from perfect. Having a toggle choice to say you prefer to be added to RP maps would do far more to sort RPers together. But we’re not going to get ANet setting aside any home servers for specific play-style groups.

Posted by: jonoth.2308

jonoth.2308

I think at minimum shard selection would alleviate the main issues with finding roleplay. After that, any combination of:

-More appearance options (outfits, beards, tattoos, etc)
-Short character description

Full bio has always been a bit excessive, as it’s stuff that should be learned while RPing. But a short description of a couple of additional details (a visible inscription, a specific tattoo or scar, an instrument or book carried, voice like Danny DeVito, smells like full-court basketball) would help ease introduction of new visual items.

“Good news, everyone!”

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i am not a big RP player but i like to, the thing that stops me is the game not really allowing it.
for instance, i did a med RP play in city of heroes (so quite a while ago) and i loved it, the game also provided plenty to do so.
GW2 however does not even half that, i hate it when my character looks and acts exactly like everybody else and even has a way to ruin my character. (having only one voice tone making it impossible to make an older or younger character)

it just misses the final touches, the cherry on the cake, the lore behind a story, the joy within a city.

and about the shard choosing, i would actually like to see a quiet shard made only for RP players and you know why?
because an RP player isn’t standing without 20+ at the same NPC for the bank or jump around like an idiot (unless RP friendly) around the crafting halls.
the only adjustment i have to ask is have it language based, when you have your game set on english you get english RP shards.

Posted by: squeeky.3469

squeeky.3469

mostly emotes, more emotes would be magical, if possible, specific RP servers, or at least a way to log on to a specific RP shard, maybe a duelling system (this could also be attractive to pvp players) but mostly emotes, and small things, like being able to interact with a chair and sit on it, and eating and drinking animations…mostly just a new emote pack would be great though, and that town clothing thing I saw up on this thread a few times, its a mission to RP an average merc and is just chilling when the only clothing tonic has you looking like nobility, and your only real alternative is to walk around in plate armour or create a new character who can wear medium or light armour