Did the patch break jumping?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tierra.8615

Tierra.8615

It feels like you can’t jump off ledges like you could before. I keep failing at the EBG jumping puzzle, which is very surprising since I used to run it flawlessly… I feel like I walked into a jumping puzzle for the first time ever. Did the patch change something? Is it intended? I hope not =/

Posted by: Eindwe.5932

Eindwe.5932

Yeah, I’m having the same problem.

I posted something in the bug forum, here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Unresponsive-Jumping-Dec-3rd-Patch

Posted by: hobbes.6178

hobbes.6178

Anyone else? I am not the only one…

Posted by: Khalic.3561

Khalic.3561

No, something definitely seems off with the responsiveness.

Khyla Shadowsong ~ Charr Ele, Engi, Mes, Ranger, Guard, Thief, War, Necro
Northern Shiverpeaks ~ [dO] Drop Otter

Posted by: Jezvin.8461

Jezvin.8461

Yes they did they need to revert this patch asap.

Posted by: Okamy.8235

Okamy.8235

Same problem here. Before, you could almost jump immediately after the falling started. Now, you sometimes can’t jump when you didn’t reach the edge.

This is just so much fun for the jumping puzzle.

Posted by: hobbes.6178

hobbes.6178

My server has tons of people in the EB jump puzzle but no one is attacking each other because no one can get anywhere.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Yes, I posted in tech support.

For the time being, if you do a quick double-tap of the space bar every time you just want to jump once, it seems to work. Of course it throws off all the muscle memory stuff we’ve been working on.

notebene.3190

breaks out tin foil hat

So, did they try to intentionally fix something they considered was an exploit of some kind, and it over corrected, and it’s ‘not’ in the patch notes?

Or…did fixing something else break jumping? Which would be really weird if it went with something like fixing the boxing gloves or something?

sits patiently with hat firmly in place on head

Posted by: souless.1935

souless.1935

Something is definitely up here. I did this exact same jump puzzle yesterday and had zero issues with it now its very unresponsive in an intermittent manner.

Ehmry Bay! Commander – Onyxguard
GW1/GW2 Beta player

Posted by: Ebon.7641

Ebon.7641

was about to make the same thread, but I’m glad other people are reporting the same issue

SO, SO frustrating

trying to do the EB JP right now… oh my god is it painful. they seriously messed something up here

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

And I just thought My keyboard was broken. Lol. Can’t progress within the EB puzzle. Looks lik the update broke more than it fixed.

Posted by: Asumita.2174

Asumita.2174

Why is it that small bugs are fixed, and critical ones pop up every time. Back then it was the loot drop, and now this?

GW2 is now on par with Windows ME as far as critical bugs go.
Fix the jumping ASAP.

(edited by Asumita.2174)

Ebon.7641

And I just thought My keyboard was broken. Lol. Can’t progress within the EB puzzle. Looks lik the update broke more than it fixed.

yeah I just ragequit in the arena. basically impossible

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

You can see what the effect is by going to lions arch and going to the ramp directly to the left, walking out of the bank. Run at the ramp and jump right as you hit the lip of that ramp going down.

What happens is you are in a “falling” state for a split second so it prevent you from jumping and instead pulls you down.

This is adverse to what the jumping physics previously were because you were able to begin a slight fall for a split second and still input a jump command to gain some extra distance into your jump.

So they either “fixed” the physics or “broke” some jumping puzzles that used to require you to jump certain distances that were REALLY picky on how close to the edge you were when you jumped.

Now add latency into the mix and you can see how being too precise on when the player inputs a jump command can cause issues.

notebene.3190

You can see what the effect is by going to lions arch and going to the ramp directly to the left, walking out of the bank. Run at the ramp and jump right as you hit the lip of that ramp going down.

What happens is you are in a “falling” state for a split second so it prevent you from jumping and instead pulls you down.

This is adverse to what the jumping physics previously were because you were able to begin a slight fall for a split second and still input a jump command to gain some extra distance into your jump.

So they either “fixed” the physics or “broke” some jumping puzzles that used to require you to jump certain distances that were REALLY picky on how close to the edge you were when you jumped.

Now add latency into the mix and you can see how being too precise on when the player inputs a jump command can cause issues.

adjusts tin foil hat more snugly

This is pretty interesting, because then it would seem to indicate this might be the result of some stealth nerf they didn’t want to say anything about, no? Maybe they ‘fixed’ the physics as you say to prevent a class from cheating with the physics at something (or maybe related to all those node teleporters), and the result broke our ability to jump?

I can pull off a jump the way I intended every time if I always double-tap the space bar to jump. It’s not much of a work around though, as it really breaks all the hand/eye muscle memory work I put in to get me to a point where I can do borderlands with the step off on the branch trick all the way through without falling.

Now I just walk off stuff if I don’t double jump.

Posted by: Rederik.7134

Rederik.7134

Formal request: put jump back!

Will file a ticket in game as well.

Posted by: Asumita.2174

Asumita.2174

It’s like playing Tekken online with bad lag. You can’t time anything right, and game becomes unplayable. Especially with lots of people around you. Right now I just spam the jump button and pray that I will jump at the right timing…

Posted by: Lerend.5380

Lerend.5380

This seems to hit the nail on the head. If the game considers you “falling” it no longer lets you jump, even if you’re not actually falling yet. Which makes many jumps buggy and others nigh on impossible to complete considering with no runspeed buff you literally must walk off the edge before jumping to just barely clear the distance.

Fixitfixitifixitfixt please.

Posted by: Lumpy.8760

Lumpy.8760

my group failed to make the daily because we kept falling in the uncategorized fractal

Ebon.7641

my group failed to make the daily because we kept falling in the uncategorized fractal

yeah I can’t even imagine how awful that is right now

Posted by: Azelroth.6801

Azelroth.6801

I have just tested this out and it indeed feels broken.

They do need to look into fixing this ASAP as jumping is one of the game’s main mechanics.

Azelroth [MoM] – Methods Of Mayhem
Commander @ Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Medozorz.5920

Medozorz.5920

bump, jumping is broken

TUP

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Next

We are looking into this presently. Thanks for reporting.

Posted by: Nemui.6753

Nemui.6753

and i thought i just got bad at jumping puzzles over night… hm, not sure how those CoE runs i had planned for later will work out.

Posted by: Neve.7134

Neve.7134

Yes I have the same problem. Noticed @ Jade Maw in Fractals. Our party almost wiped cause of jump that doesnt work. We were lucky with mesmers and portals.

Posted by: steelwolf.9864

steelwolf.9864

I’m glad to see the quick response to this and other issues the patch brought up.

Posted by: scabies.3246

scabies.3246

I thought it was my keyboard. But I knew my keyboard worked fine, so thought it was lag. They broke jumping.

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

Something as game breaking as this “patch” should be rolled back without delay. Hire some new patch testers. This was an epic bork up.

Posted by: JaNordy.6149

JaNordy.6149

LOL holy kitten, how do you messup that bad. I actually thought my keyboard was broken or something. Glad to see its not my keyboard broken or me being bad for hour+. How do you even mess that up Anet seriously?

Posted by: henry.1420

henry.1420

It looks like the patch is breaking everything.. please please seriously consider firing your QA analysts..

Posted by: AMra.9687

AMra.9687

i am very glad to see I’m not the only one who cant jump consistently since the patch, i had figured something was wrong with my keyboard. Made the Jade Maw a real kitten to do today, thankfully my group was awesome and killed themselves after he was dead so we could restart from a checkpoint and i could still get loots but i would have rather fought the fight

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

Something as game breaking as this “patch” should be rolled back without delay. Hire some new patch testers. This was an epic bork up.

Oh no, you can’t do jumping puzzles today. Truly the end of the world.

bad joke for the fractal raiders, remember that one of the stages, rely heavily on jumps

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

Posted by: Ballistic.4531

Ballistic.4531

How about Uncategorized Fractal?

This world needs more people being frank and less people being offended.

Posted by: Sarne.4528

Sarne.4528

I almost bought a new keyboard after this, right after I nearly broke this one over my knee. I don’t want to play this game in the first place, but I’m not going to leave my group stranded – so I log in for Fractals. Guess what we got on the first one? Temple! That’s right. My armor ENTIRELY broke trying to clear the way past the harpies because of this kitten jumping bug, which seems to affect larger characters more often than smaller ones.

Great job ArenaNet. I quit SWTOR because they worshiped RNG and every time they patched, they broke more. Is this the beginning of the end?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Ah cool so glad people reported this. Had real issues in JP, then watched 2 others fall at easy jumps. Something seemed up – I’m very glad I don’t have to blame my inept jumping on this one

Posted by: SuLor.2840

SuLor.2840

So interesting, I was in the middle of doing the metrica province jumping puzzle when the patch hit and when I came back, I was having the worst time, I just gave up. My friend was joking that the patch broke jumping, I was a skeptic, but it seems it wasn’t just me having bad coordination.

Posted by: Martin Kerstein.3071

Previous

Martin Kerstein.3071

Head of Global Community

We wanted to give people that retro Guild Wars feeling, where there was no jumping.

Joking aside, like Mark mentioned, we are working on it, sorry for the inconvenience.

Posted by: aaron.7850

aaron.7850

This is horrible! I tried the JP in BL and just couldnt do it. Hope they fix it quickly because its just not enjoyable for me to play with this glitch.

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

You don’t do fractals do you?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

There should totally be a reward for anyone making that Malchors Leap one or Lost Shores JP whilst the problem is in place!

There’s a challenge for someone!

notebene.3190

For what it’s worth, I found that if I double-tapped the jump key each time I intended to jump quickly, it always registered a jump. Though I didn’t have a ‘lot’ of testing with it, I only needed to run to my borderland’s jump puzzle after the patch and take the two key halves to the door. Double-jumping at each jump was the only thing that got me there.

Actually the 2nd to the last run was the funniest, as I double-jumped all the way there, and then on the last little floating rock before the last little jump up to run to the door, I got over confident and decided to just do a normal jump and fell. Double-jumped the whole thing on the final run, and that’s how it earned it’s name.

Posted by: unknown.9402

unknown.9402

Can’t you guys just revert back to what it was before patch? It’s starting to feel like you are trying to fix “fixes” on things that had little to no issue before.

Posted by: henry.1420

henry.1420

Can’t you guys just revert back to what it was before patch? It’s starting to feel like you are trying to fix “fixes” on things that had little to no issue before.

100% agree. Given the many things that are broken because of the patch, totally should revert it.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Glad to know I wasn’t the only one noticing this problem. Made the JP in Plains of Ashford more difficult than usual.

As a question, have you ever coded something before? I’m in basic Javascript and just a single error or added character (0-9, a-z, and anything like a ; : or a ,) can cause problems. It can take me 30 minutes just to find the problem in a simple 12 line code. And even then there’s a chance I screwed something else up, causing another error I have to fix! It’s a tough game of trial and error at times.

Imagine how much work this is for the programmers, since it’s over 1 million lines odds are. My hats off to the programmers, as you have some rough nights ahead of you.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

100% agree. Given the many things that are broken because of the patch, totally should revert it.

I have to agree, with this and the transform health/trait issue it needs to be reverted if a hotfix that fixes these can’t be put out within a couple of hours.

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

Posted by: Graill.8596

Graill.8596

It’s because i made it to the top of Southsun Cove and found Anets secret next to the big tree up there…….with sceenshots, so it did happen…..

There is no worse feeling than that during an argument, you realize you are wrong.

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

That’s ok, I made Anet’s jump bork my own. I trolled our guild leader with it. I told him the patch introduced a one time account wide bonus for the jumping puzzle chests in WvWvW.

After a few misses and some choice swear words….we had to let him in on the patch boo boo.

Posted by: unknown.9402

unknown.9402

Glad to know I wasn’t the only one noticing this problem. Made the JP in Plains of Ashford more difficult than usual.

As a question, have you ever coded something before? I’m in basic Javascript and just a single error or added character (0-9, a-z, and anything like a ; : or a ,) can cause problems. It can take me 30 minutes just to find the problem in a simple 12 line code. And even then there’s a chance I screwed something else up, causing another error I have to fix! It’s a tough game of trial and error at times.

Imagine how much work this is for the programmers, since it’s over 1 million lines odds are. My hats off to the programmers, as you have some rough nights ahead of you.

Yes I have coded. I test my code first before I release the code to someone else. If the new code causes problem then I revert it back to what it was before… unless the old code was broken too. So here’s the question, was the old jumping code broken for you? If not, then why not just revert back? I’m just using a bit of common sense here.

Posted by: Nemui.6753

Nemui.6753

I have to agree, with this and the transform health/trait issue it needs to be reverted if a hotfix that fixes these can’t be put out within a couple of hours.

what’s that health/trait issue?