Diving goggles level gated?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

I honestly thought you were joking OP until I saw the screenshot – that’s completely absurd. I thought, I mean, I knew GW2 is a themepark, but this is like nailing your feet to the tracks.

As I said earlier, I wish I was joking. This just boggles my mind.

Why u do dis anet? Isn’t GW2 about the adventure? About not leveling just from the grind – but the cool concept of leveling via adventuring? What’s the point of level gating diving goggles? Anyone have a logical explanation?

My best guess is that this is simply a side effect of removing bundle items from low levels. After all, your weapon skills are replaced with diving skills. And bundle items are somehow too complex.

But I don’t understand that change, either.

Posted by: Bugabuga.9721

Bugabuga.9721

The screenshot says it all. Ladies and gentlemen; we are witnessing the end of an MMO (or the jobs of certain upper level management heads).

I can’t possibly fathom the data to suggest new players were too stupid to click on goggles and leap from a cliff. Something has to be done about this. All of this precious development time wasted on useless gameplay limits.

It just really confuses me. Like I can’t think of ANY gain for the players OR Anet from changes like this. I just can’t fathom why they would do this.

Easy. The MMO player who hasn’t managed to buy the GW2 yet (and level at least one toon to level 80 by now) has exceedingly fragile brain… fragile
“Dodging”? That’s a chance of shaking the brain!
Waving both arms at once with two weapons? Might impact your balance and confuse you.
Leaping off a cliff with some glass contraption clasped on one’s face? Are you insane?! NO!
Picking up a twig and whacking something with it? Madness, for untrained brain.

Come back later, after your brain is hardened from doing boring things for a dozen levels or so…

Posted by: XunlaiSpy.9384

XunlaiSpy.9384

Just checked and it’s documented in the wiki notes:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates

“Dive locations are now marked on the map and diving goggles are level-gated. "

Posted by: dwillikers.2348

dwillikers.2348

LOL Was about to link the same thing. +1

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Wow, it’s like I just want to shake a person really hard. It’s just mind boggling that someone, anyone, thought these were good changes. I’m just noticing that all my low level Mesmer’s that I use have had their utility skills frozen. Even though I dumped lots of skill points into the characters, I can’t change the utility skill. Anet ever think I do not want all 80’s?

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Robert.4197

Robert.4197

Posted by: Skaigash.4715

Skaigash.4715

I’m just waiting for the white knights to come in and justify this brilliant development.

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

Interacting with the goggles strips you of your gear, thus too overwhelming for new players to comprehend.
And even then…the knowledge that you can…swim? Oh my god, that’s just too much.
Three dimensional movement is just too overwhelming. They’ll never get back on land!

Posted by: Yoshiro.8170

Yoshiro.8170

It probably is due to bundles interactivity or due to water combat skills being level gated also. They didnt want people jumping into the water, landing there and having no skills. Alot of the things shouldnt be level gated for non-new players though.. if we managed before we certainly could still manage it :C

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I only regret that I have but one face to palm.

Posted by: ketchup.2783

ketchup.2783

I remember the first time I saw Diving Goggles, conveniently placed on the precipice of a ledge above some water.

After the initial shock wore off, I stood staring down at them, my mind racing to comprehend their meaning, Literally a couple of possibilities swirled around my tiny brain but it was too much. Exhausted, I logged off.

I went for a walk just to clear my mind. The image of those goggles haunted me as I walked along the path, teasing me with their impenetrable puzzle. I saw the moon and the stars, and it dawned on me. Just like the endless mysteries of the universe, I was not meant to understand. In another life, in another time – maybe.

I had looked upon those goggles on that ledge like a mouse looks upon Michaelangelo’s David. They were simply too huge to comprehend, to hold their full meaning in my head would be like holding the sea in a teacup.

Sometimes I still dream about them, and the ledge. In the dream, the water below rushes up to meet me, an epiphany promised within its depths – but then I wake up, and the dream, like the answers, fade away.

moar, plox

Posted by: Galespark.7835

Galespark.7835

I remember the first time I saw Diving Goggles, conveniently placed on the precipice of a ledge above some water.

After the initial shock wore off, I stood staring down at them, my mind racing to comprehend their meaning, Literally a couple of possibilities swirled around my tiny brain but it was too much. Exhausted, I logged off.

I went for a walk just to clear my mind. The image of those goggles haunted me as I walked along the path, teasing me with their impenetrable puzzle. I saw the moon and the stars, and it dawned on me. Just like the endless mysteries of the universe, I was not meant to understand. In another life, in another time – maybe.

I had looked upon those goggles on that ledge like a mouse looks upon Michaelangelo’s David. They were simply too huge to comprehend, to hold their full meaning in my head would be like holding the sea in a teacup.

Sometimes I still dream about them, and the ledge. In the dream, the water below rushes up to meet me, an epiphany promised within its depths – but then I wake up, and the dream, like the answers, fade away.

You made my day.

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

This is absolutely ridiculous.

I can understand slowing down the introduction of a few things, but this has gotten way out of hand.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

Posted by: Iris.5918

Iris.5918

What happened to the “play how you want” philosophy? I really wonder.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Are you serious? OP must be trolling. Anyone have proof?

I wish I was trolling. Then there might be some comedy here (aside from the Bohemian Rhapsody attempt early in the thread (edit: And aside from dace’s incredible post that I can’t believe I forgot to mention. That was great.)).

I don’t currently know what level the goggles unlock, unfortunately. But I read about this gate on Reddit, and had to make a character for myself to see.

First: Which map is that?
Second: I think you can use them by level 7 which seems to be when they make certain others things visible/available to new players.
Third: I think this is something that isn’t supposed to be gated from vet players.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: jucca.8219

jucca.8219

You cannot use that item right now. M’kay.

Posted by: Kamui.4038

Kamui.4038

I wish I was trolling. Then there might be some comedy here (aside from the Bohemian Rhapsody attempt early in the thread (edit: And aside from dace’s incredible post that I can’t believe I forgot to mention. That was great.)).

I don’t currently know what level the goggles unlock, unfortunately. But I read about this gate on Reddit, and had to make a character for myself to see.

Second: I think you can use them by level 7 which seems to be when they make certain others things visible/available to new players.
Third: I think this is something that isn’t supposed to be gated from vet players.

Why even gate bundles? What is the point of this? I remember picking up a shovel and hitting stuff with it and actually felt as if my character was part of the world it was in because I could interact with stuff in the world beyond NPCs. Now the character feels like its apart from it “until you reach level 7.” It doesn’t make sense. The artificial barrier is really not needed.

This goes for everything that is gated.

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

First: This is a shot taken in Rata Sum, near the Idea Incubation Lab.
Second: If you ask me, items that have a level gate should clearly state when you can use them. Regardless of how silly I think this is, a better message would be “You can’t use this item until level X”.
Third: What’s the point of gating it even to new players? They’re diving goggles. Not rocket surgery.

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

Absurd. Explain to me why i have to be at level X to click on the goggle and jump ? Don’t kitten me with “oh you know, these are unintentional bugs”. yah, like you were sleep-programming when you put that activity code into the blacklist.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

Posted by: Roybe.5896

Roybe.5896

Sometimes I still dream about them, and the ledge. The water below rushes up to meet me, I understand a little bit more – but then I wake up, and the dream, like the answers, fade away.

9/10 part 2 pls

Eagerly awaiting the sequel.

….and…GW3….confirmed.

Posted by: sishbob.3987

sishbob.3987

Absurd. Explain to me why i have to be at level X to click on the goggle and jump ?

The act of relaying the thought to the hand and fingers to click the goggles, much less equip them, is too much for most people. Not only could you suffer a stroke from too much thinking, you could hurt your finger or get the dreaded carpal tunnel syndrome.

The ideal game would have no clicked or thinking involved.

I have it.

Watch paint dry.

Posted by: Renn.8241

Renn.8241

This is why anet should stop these tiny per day reveals for a patch that shows just 1% and then super stealth everything without discussion or thought. Just tell us straight up !!

~Renn~ Jade Quarry – Norn, – Ranger.

Posted by: lanedraex.3691

lanedraex.3691

Aetherblade jumping puzzle, got to the end and …. Surprise!

Thank you Anet, this is the best gift ever, number one reason I pre-ordered the game was the promise of gated content!

Edit: this makes me remember of a particular Korean MMO back in early 2000s where you needed to be lvl 5 to eat an apple…

Attachments:

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Thank you Anet, this is the best gift ever, number one reason I pre-ordered the game was the promise of gated content!

Edit: this makes me remember of a particular Korean MMO back in early 2000s where you needed to be lvl 5 to eat an apple…

It is not gated at level 30 it is a bug. Oh I just love regression bugs.

Diving goggles now unlock on an account-wide basis rather than a per-character basis.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m just waiting for the white knights to come in and justify this brilliant development.

Funny I didn’t see any posts by white knights justifying this change.

Maybe it’s because the people you refer to as white knights actually think about what they post and only post if they actually disagree with something.

Anyway it’s all fixed now.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I don’t see a point to a level restriction on them though. It’s not like you’re gonna come across anything before level 15 that requires you to jump off a cliff into water. Much less anything that requires you to use diving goggles. It’s just an optional achievement you can get.

So I guess as veterans we won’t be seeing the restriction anymore:

Diving goggles now unlock on an account-wide basis rather than a per-character basis.

But it doesn’t change the point Charr is making here – a good one – that using diving goggles is completely optional content. It’s not even like skill challenges where it affects your abilities in some way. It’s just kitteningkittenkitten fluff for kitten’s sake.

Someone save the kittens!

I don’t understand what rationale could be behind this change. At worst, new players might have a moment of confusion if they don’t immediately understand how the goggles work. That’s OK. You can’t strip out every potential moment of confusion. You never will. And afaik, diving goggle locations are all in out-of-the-way locations. As in, you pretty much have to be going off the beaten path and exploring the world to even notice them.

What player who needs to stay on the rails is going to even come across these things? And on top of that, text that says you can’t use them without explaining a word about them or when you will be able to use them.

I’d like to think I’ve been pretty reasonable on the whole about these changes, but this one needs to go. There is no universe in which you can justify it. Fluff content should never ever be restricted based on “players will get confused” – the whole point of fluff content is that it’s something extra for the more adventurous players to play with. There’s nothing interesting about discovering little nuggets of fluff content if you only discover a wall and then it’s later force-fed to you.

Come to think of it, I believe I just made an argument for removing the restriction on vistas as well. An info tip to explain them is one thing; preventing use is another thing entirely.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: JCROY.5730

JCROY.5730

Goosebumps..I am hearing angels sing, flying cupids everywhere..my world fades to a pink cloudy surrounding of emotions.. XD

“see cow, grab bundle, feed cow?”

Posted by: JCROY.5730

JCROY.5730

I can understand why you whitened the chat screen out…must be some nasty language in there after you found out…LOL

“see cow, grab bundle, feed cow?”

Posted by: NativeDigital.4539

NativeDigital.4539

Diving Goggles are now unlocked account wise rather than per character.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Thank god, you know how many times as a youngster I went to the pool and….no wait, even when I was 5 I managed to wear goggles so I didn’t get stingy chlorine eyes underwater….Ok the reason must be…..I’m sure it’s because…..maybe it’s about….?

I have nothing.

If some creepy guy had come up to me talking about metrics before I jumped in the deep end and my goggle elastic had been purposefully tied in a knot behind my back, I’d swim elsewhere.

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

If the diving goggles bug is fixed, why can’t my level 50 character use the goggles in Fields of Ruin on Tenaebron Lake? I get the same message as in the picture a few posts up. Right Now.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

anzenketh.3759

If the diving goggles bug is fixed, why can’t my level 50 character use the goggles in Fields of Ruin on Tenaebron Lake? I get the same message as in the picture a few posts up. Right Now.

Because the fix broke it for existing accounts.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Goggles-Failure/first

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

What level do diving goggles unlock?

anzenketh.3759

What level do diving goggles unlock?

Before level 11.

Zaxares.5419

Right, thanks.

Hopefully this bug will get fixed soon, but in the meantime, if I need to do goggles, I guess I can always create a throwaway character and use a level 20 scroll on them.

Posted by: Eon of Aeon.4658

Eon of Aeon.4658

Chiming in to echo that still broken for me…and I was so close to finishing Diving Master before that stupid Sept 16th patch

EDIT – To be specific, as far as I can tell Lornar’s Pass and Timberline falls are broken for me. I only had those, Wayfarer, and non Dive Master dives left to do…well, that and the Aetherpirate JP goggle, but I refuse to go back and do that one if I did forget to do it :/

Posted by: KONING.8106

KONING.8106

Well what about a lvl 80 character?

I came in this map and i cannot use these goggles…

WTF Anet

Attachments:

Posted by: KONING.8106

KONING.8106

Plz Explain..

Attachments:

anzenketh.3759

Plz Explain..

Because the fix broke it for existing accounts.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Goggles-Failure/first

Posted by: RattusInsanus.1287

RattusInsanus.1287

So… apparently you have to be a level 80 to access diving goggles? Cuz my level 69 char couldn’t use em when I was staring at diving goggles yesterday. I agree with what everyone has said about how much more are we going to dumb down this game? Are we going to start having tutorials showing people how to turn their computers on? :P

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Ppl why all the rage? Theire targeting their game at nitwits low IQ ppl. The all-mighty metrics have shown its a growing niche that needs atention. Heres a development suggestion: Popups at loggin remembering you whats the name of your toon and the controls for the game. You know, for the also expanding market of half-senile players.

I think their key target audience would benefit from popups with their own personal names.

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

I may once have been one of these white knights, I loved the game dearly and I had faith in Anet, even if, even then, they were not perfect. I saw past their little mistakes, thinking that in the greater scheme, things would be alright… but my love is fading and my faith turning to sadness as I see what I once believed in and my hopes for the future turn to dust. I can no longer truthfully defend, the things that they do.

Seriously though… I still love the game… Anet CAN make great things… but they are going in the wrong direction…

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

So… apparently you have to be a level 80 to access diving goggles?

You can either wait for them to fix the bugs involving existing accounts and the new unlocks or you can create a new character and level it up to unlock everything now. Diving goggles unlock somewhere around level 10.

Posted by: Yukito.9012

Yukito.9012

Good ol’ ArenaNet, ‘fixing’ things no one complained about.

But not touching things that are actually broken with a ten foot pole.

Not true! After two years of it being broken, they finally removed the hint system and retired the hint achievment.

Posted by: dybryd.1358

dybryd.1358

I assumed this was a bug accidentally introduced by the patch.

Posted by: Eric.6109

Eric.6109

This is so idiotic. I wanted to use a pair with a lvl 45 character and got “this item is not available for you now” text box :|

a.net: I will not be buying gems with cash until you fix traits.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I remember the first time I found diving goggles. I put em on and freaked out cuz suddenly all my armor and weapons disappeared. I cried so hard.

Then a friend told me they were for diving into water and that I didn’t really lose my stuff. So I went back and put em on and dove into the water….and missed. I hit the ground and died. I cried so hard.

Someone’s going to loot my corpse now and I’m going to lose all my stuff.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: AnniMira.2506

AnniMira.2506

So, what is wrong with the diving goggles? My char is at lvl 80 and cannot use the diving goggles. No diving, no achievement. The message does not explain when I’m able to use the goggles again. Buggy goggles?

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

The simple answer is, “Yes… people really ARE that stupid.”

Yes, they really DO get confused when their skill bar changes, and they have no particular interest to learn, either. They DO get overwhelmed by seeing a map filled with all these… things… and really don’t want to deal with them.

So they play the game five hours, and quit because it’s “too confusing.” Which, hey, great! We don’t want people that dumb playing this game anyway!

But there’s a problem. Farmville and Candy Crush Saga have shown AAA developers that this crowd will pay metric kitten tons of money to play games they like (and don’t even have particularly high standards, either). So NCSoft and the execs at Arena.net get $$$ in their eyes, and say to the developers, “Get this market into the game.”

And here we are, this is Arena.net’s attempt to tap into that very lucrative market.

Zaxares.5419

Yes. The recent patch that made diving goggles unlock account wide also introduced a bug where all accounts got diving goggles locked again. There is a workaround where you can create a new character and then level them past 11 (which is when the goggles unlock), either normally or with an Experience Scroll. This will unlock the goggles on your account again.

Obviously, not everyone will have a spare character slot though, so hopefully this bug gets fixed soon.