Diving goggles level gated?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

Really? I mean, really really?

Honest question time. What part about bundle items was so confusing? Was it combat? Was it having a bunch of new skills when you picked up something? Or maybe the sparkles on the ground for bundle items was too distracting?

I’m trying really hard to even fathom what kind of confusion you might get from diving goggles. They’re not in combat locations, you only get two skills. They’re not even abundant in low level areas, so they can’t be that distracting (unless you walk into a city).

But new characters are simply told “you cannot use that item now.”

Posted by: Kamui.4038

Kamui.4038

I… I have no words.

Is this real life?

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

Is this just fantasy?

Posted by: Aiglos.2907

Aiglos.2907

I thought they were caught in a landslide?

Fear the might of Shatterstone!

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

No escape from reality!

Posted by: DarkSpirit.7046

DarkSpirit.7046

Perhaps if you see a diving goggle lying in the game you would just freak out and cry out loud that this game is too complicated?

Remember they are making it for people with very sensitive brains, they have to go real easy on them.

“Ahhh….diving goggles?! I can’t stand it! This is too much information for me! My head going to explode!”

(edited by DarkSpirit.7046)

Posted by: Aiglos.2907

Aiglos.2907

Awww, we were nearly onto something!
Never mind :P

But the diving goggles thing is quite saddening

Fear the might of Shatterstone!

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

Diving googles require MLG levels of skill. Trying to use them would just confuse and intimidate new players.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Are you serious? OP must be trolling. Anyone have proof?

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Diving is too harrrd~

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: Errant Venture.9371

Errant Venture.9371

I didn’t think I could be impressed by design choices anymore, but they went and did it.

The Battle Bakery [vPie]

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Water should be removed from all starter maps grin

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Azure The Heartless.3261

Water should be removed from all starter maps grin

stop now before they hear you

Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: MrITpro.7451

MrITpro.7451

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

I remember the first time I saw Diving Goggles, conveniently placed on the precipice of a ledge above some water.

After the initial shock wore off, I stood staring down at them, my mind racing to comprehend their meaning, Literally a couple of possibilities swirled around my tiny brain but it was too much. Exhausted, I logged off.

I went for a walk just to clear my mind. The image of those goggles haunted me as I walked along the path, teasing me with their impenetrable puzzle. I saw the moon and the stars, and it dawned on me. Just like the endless mysteries of the universe, I was not meant to understand. In another life, in another time – maybe.

I had looked upon those goggles on that ledge like a mouse looks upon Michaelangelo’s David. They were simply too huge to comprehend, to hold their full meaning in my head would be like holding the sea in a teacup.

Sometimes I still dream about them, and the ledge. In the dream, the water below rushes up to meet me, an epiphany promised within its depths – but then I wake up, and the dream, like the answers, fade away.

Azure The Heartless.3261

I remember the first time I saw Diving Goggles, conveniently placed on the precipice of a ledge above some water.

After the initial shock wore off, I stood staring down at them, my mind racing to comprehend their meaning, Literally a couple of possibilities swirled around my tiny brain but it was too much. Exhausted, I logged off.

I went for a walk just to clear my mind. The image of those goggles haunted me as I walked along the path, teasing me with their impenetrable puzzle. I saw the moon and the stars, and it dawned on me. Just like the endless mysteries of the universe, I was not meant to understand. In another life, in another time – maybe.

I had looked upon those goggles on that ledge like a mouse looks upon Michaelangelo’s David. They were simply too huge to comprehend, to hold their full meaning in my head would be like holding the sea in a teacup.

Sometimes I still dream about them, and the ledge. The water below rushes up to meet me, I understand a little bit more – but then I wake up, and the dream, like the answers, fade away.

9/10 part 2 pls

Posted by: Errant Venture.9371

Errant Venture.9371

Sometimes I still dream about them, and the ledge. The water below rushes up to meet me, I understand a little bit more – but then I wake up, and the dream, like the answers, fade away.

9/10 part 2 pls

Eagerly awaiting the sequel.

The Battle Bakery [vPie]

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

Sometimes I still dream about them, and the ledge. In the dream, the water below rushes up to meet me, an epiphany promised within its depths – but then I wake up, and the dream, like the answers, fade away.

Beautiful, just beautiful. sheds tear

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: Mala.3861

Mala.3861

Awesome!!

And, diving goggles, really???

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

A better love story than Twilight.

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

Are you serious? OP must be trolling. Anyone have proof?

I wish I was trolling. Then there might be some comedy here (aside from the Bohemian Rhapsody attempt early in the thread (edit: And aside from dace’s incredible post that I can’t believe I forgot to mention. That was great.)).

I don’t currently know what level the goggles unlock, unfortunately. But I read about this gate on Reddit, and had to make a character for myself to see.

Attachments:

(edited by Nkuvu.2570)

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

The game has reached a new level of being lowbrow – Achievement +3 Dev AP

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Better story than Thrahearne against Zaithan for sure!

I’m afraid there might not be a second part I guess… because what if all of a sudden while easily walking by, close to an unexplored POI he might level up granting him immediate knowledge on diving techniques and goggle usage.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Swizzle.7982

Swizzle.7982

It’s fine guys, stop complaining, their metrics told them that goggles were too confusing. It’s for the best, I mean, this game isn’t designed for you, the players, it’s designed for some other people, people who don’t play GW2.

Posted by: FrozenStarRo.7240

FrozenStarRo.7240

Just horrible that they’d lock this away. Unnecessary backtracking since you’ll have to come back at a later time for it. Read on Reddit someone couldn’t interact with skillpoint, undoubtedly also locked behind some level requirement.

It appears Jumping Puzzles start at 21, I had a scroll-leveled Necro I logged into today just to verify she was stripped of her utilities (which she was, lost my 9). At level 21 I had Jumping Puzzles pop on screen with my level unlocks. Could anyone with a lower level char or free slot please verify if JP chests can be interacted with if under lv21?

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Just horrible that they’d lock this away. Unnecessary backtracking since you’ll have to come back at a later time for it. Read on Reddit someone couldn’t interact with skillpoint, undoubtedly also locked behind some level requirement.

It appears Jumping Puzzles start at 21, I had a scroll-leveled Necro I logged into today just to verify she was stripped of her utilities (which she was, lost my 9). At level 21 I had Jumping Puzzles pop on screen with my level unlocks. Could anyone with a lower level char or free slot please verify if JP chests can be interacted with if under lv21?

Oh god…….I’ll test this after Teq, if it is…………..

just……….

God

This just keeps getting worse if true.

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

The screenshot says it all. Ladies and gentlemen; we are witnessing the end of an MMO (or the jobs of certain upper level management heads).

I can’t possibly fathom the data to suggest new players were too stupid to click on goggles and leap from a cliff. Something has to be done about this. All of this precious development time wasted on useless gameplay limits.

Celestina.2894

The screenshot says it all. Ladies and gentlemen; we are witnessing the end of an MMO (or the jobs of certain upper level management heads).

I can’t possibly fathom the data to suggest new players were too stupid to click on goggles and leap from a cliff. Something has to be done about this. All of this precious development time wasted on useless gameplay limits.

It just really confuses me. Like I can’t think of ANY gain for the players OR Anet from changes like this. I just can’t fathom why they would do this.

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

If they weren’t gated, we wouldn’t have this thread. So, it was worth it.

Posted by: Kythan Myr.4719

Kythan Myr.4719

Next it will be jumping puzzles.

I can see it now. As a new player, You spend a few pain stakingly minutes getting up that really hard puzzle. You finally make it to the top waiting to get your chest, but wait! Instead you are greeted with a message: “Sorry, you cannot get this reward right now, try back when you are a higher level”

When does all this stuff about the game being too complicated/confusing for new players end? It’s a wonder how some of us made it through the first two years 0_o. If things need to be simplified that much for new players, I feel pretty special right now.

Celestina.2894

I can see it now. As a new player, You spend a few pain stakingly minutes getting up that really hard puzzle. You finally make it to the top waiting to get your chest, but wait! Instead you are greeted with a message: “Sorry, you cannot get this reward right now, try back when you are a higher level”

When does all this stuff about the game being too complicated/confusing for new players end? It’s a wonder how some of us made it through the first two years 0_o. If things need to be simplified that much for new players, I feel pretty special right now.

Uuuh………they might be level gated also, gonna test after this teq map I’m in.

Posted by: Cries Of Sorrow.5864

Cries Of Sorrow.5864

Well I’m runnin’ through the world with a gun in my back tryin’ to catch a ride in a cadillac
Thought that I was livin’ but you can’t really tell been tryin’ to get away from that success smell
You know I need a houseboat and I need a plane I need a butler and a trip to Spain
I need everything the world owes me I tell that to myself and I agree
I’m caught in a dream so what you don’t know what I’m goin’ through
I’m right in between so I’ll I’ll just play along with you
Well I’m runnin’ through the world with a gun in my back tryin’ to catch a ride in that cadillac
Thought I was livin’ but you can’t never tell what I thought was heaven turned out to be hell
Whoa whoa when you see me with a smile on my face
Whoa whoa then you’ll know I’m a mental case whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa
I’m caught in a dream so what I don’t know what I’m going through
I’m right in between so I’ll I’ll just play along with you
Whoa whoa ooh ooh ooh aah aah aah aah oo oo oo oo oo oo

Main Elementalist:Train Of Thought
Alt Warrior: Burning Paris
Best Ele build EU.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

You are joking right? I hope you are joking.

Seriously this artificial time gated nonsense has gone too far, surely Arena Net sees have ridiculous this is, their decisions lately boggle the mind.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Straylight.7529

Straylight.7529

Uuuh………they might be level gated also, gonna test after this teq map I’m in.

Colin just confirmed that Jumping Puzzles are available at any level. The notification simply pops up around lvl 21 to make you aware of their existence.

You can also go do jumping puzzles any time you want for example, the game just gives you a heads up they exist at level 21 if you haven’t found one by then, etc.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Wait-You-can-t-DODGE/first#post4392788

Posted by: Uuni.3561

Uuni.3561

They should just lock off swimming, new players might not know how to swim. Also locking off movement backwards because new players might fall off from cliff if they aren’t looking where they are going. I’d also lock away taking damage because you might die and get confused if you die in a video game, a player might get confused by their mortality to the point they stop spending money in gem store

Posted by: Yozoh.8179

Yozoh.8179

Part 2, please!

Posted by: Suinz.5968

Suinz.5968

Stop trolling. Please tell me you’re trolling..please..

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

They were obviously too overwhelming and confusing to new players. The concept of putting goggles on and jumping into water was something they wanted to restrict to higher levels so you could get a grasp for your character and how to dye its armor first.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

The first time I came across diving goggles it confused me. My character was suddenly naked with nothing but goggles on and I had no idea what to do. I also kept misreading the text on the goggles. I actually went to the GW2 wiki and searched for “divining goggles” and it came up with no results.

I didn’t let it get to me though. I just figured “whatever” and went on my merry way.

I don’t see a point to a level restriction on them though. It’s not like you’re gonna come across anything before level 15 that requires you to jump off a cliff into water. Much less anything that requires you to use diving goggles. It’s just an optional achievement you can get.

There’s something charming about rangers.

(edited by Charrbeque.8729)

Posted by: Cries Of Sorrow.5864

Cries Of Sorrow.5864

My character is always wearing diving goggles, it’s confusing me, everyone calls me ugly and a kitten cause of it

Main Elementalist:Train Of Thought
Alt Warrior: Burning Paris
Best Ele build EU.

Posted by: bertillec.7864

bertillec.7864

what do the dev thinking?stop bringing china’s online games experience to our world!!!!dev you are totaling doing worng in this aspects i have to say.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Diving goggles level gated

Dumb.

That’s all.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

dace, your post deserves far more than the measly +1 I can give it. XD

I also agree with everyone that these restrictions are ridiculously draconian. Let players explore and learn at their own pace!

Posted by: Agrpa.1603

Agrpa.1603

Ppl why all the rage? Theire targeting their game at nitwits low IQ ppl. The all-mighty metrics have shown its a growing niche that needs atention. Heres a development suggestion: Popups at loggin remembering you whats the name of your toon and the controls for the game. You know, for the also expanding market of half-senile players.

Posted by: sunset.3056

sunset.3056

Ppl why all the rage? Theire targeting their game at nitwits low IQ ppl. The all-mighty metrics have shown its a growing niche that needs atention. Heres a development suggestion: Popups at loggin remembering you whats the name of your toon and the controls for the game. You know, for the also expanding market of half-senile players.

I agree, theaire targeting system is really bad. Thaie need to keep things simple so we don’t get too overwelmed.

Posted by: Lethal Stranger.5093

Lethal Stranger.5093

Good ol’ ArenaNet, ‘fixing’ things no one complained about.

Necromancer/Engineer/Elementalist main
Plays every class though :>
The Dynasty Warriors [DW] – Far Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Good ol’ ArenaNet, ‘fixing’ things no one complained about.

But not touching things that are actually broken with a ten foot pole.

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

We really need a thread that lists a complete list of the real gated features and the ones that people make up. When I was playing the game, I seriously couldn’t tell the difference between the trolls making fun of the game and the REAL gated content. Diving goggles gated? Sounded fake. Jumping puzzles gated until you reach level 20? Sounded plausible. Salvage kits gated? I had no idea since my character was a high enough level to use salvage kits, apparently.

Someone please make a comprehensive list of what is actually gated and what is not.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

I’m hardly playing this game already these days, I’m really not as infuriated as the most people anymore, I just don’t care.

But here’s what I’ve been wondering these past few days – what was this patch designed for? How is level gating content a good thing? What were they trying to achieve? Is this what they’ve been working for (as a background project) for past few months while Living Story was running?
I really don’t understand Arena Net anymore.

Posted by: Domino.1359

Domino.1359

I honestly thought you were joking OP until I saw the screenshot – that’s completely absurd. I thought, I mean, I knew GW2 is a themepark, but this is like nailing your feet to the tracks.

Why u do dis anet? Isn’t GW2 about the adventure? About not leveling just from the grind – but the cool concept of leveling via adventuring? What’s the point of level gating diving goggles? Anyone have a logical explanation?