Do You Enjoy Massive Zerg Content?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

As the title implies, do you like open world zerging? Or would you rather prefer instanced content?

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Open world by far you get to play with other ppl at any time with out needing to be consure with the 5 man limit. Its a question of mmorpg vs HUB games open world is an mmorpg instanced is more HUB game.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

As the title implies, do you like open world zerging? Or would you rather prefer instanced content?

Instanced content ala GW1 all the way. Challenging, neither short nor too long, awesome, interesting.

Would be nice if we got content with party-size increase to 8 or 12.

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

No. And there can be no other answer.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Posted by: sfxblade.3459

sfxblade.3459

i like it, but the thing i hate is that we dont really see what we’re doing, there is so many people that when we attack something all you see is green/blue and an icon. I like the tequatl fight tho, but all the other stuff..meh, i just do it because of the cash.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

This is an MMO, so yes. I expect massive zerg content in a massively multiplayer.

If you want 5-man stuff, go play an RPG like Diablo.

Posted by: Raeysa Penrose.8450

Raeysa Penrose.8450

I absolutely adore zerging. I’m kind of a painfully shy person in game, so it’s really hard for me to party up with people. Finding a zerg and running with them allows me to sort of ease into the social aspect of the game, so I have someone to play with until I work up the courage to speak up.

Also, the feeling of running with a pack is kind of glorious. Call me crazy, but I have howled like a wolf IRL while running with zergs from one point to another!

EDIT: I’m with Vol. MMOs are all about the massive numbers of people. “Massively Multiplayer.” 5-man instances work for Torchlight II, but I play MMOs for the people.

Fear not this night
curse my dependence on sleep for survival!

(edited by Raeysa Penrose.8450)

Posted by: Kevan.8912

Kevan.8912

i like zergs too.
nobody asks you about your gear-dps-etc.
it’s “democratic”

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

I love open world zerging.

And I was a big fan of the clockwork chaos invasions. It was extremely fun back when it was new.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

(edited by Naus the Gobbo.5172)

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

To be happy, I need a mix of both. Zergs allow me to hang out with my fellow server players, while instanced content is usually more story-driven (I NEED THIS LIKE AIR) and allows me to get closer with guildies. IMO, the Tower of Nightmare releases were a great blend.

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

I hate all the zerg content that has been released.

Not that the content itself was bad or anything, but the game and their servers just can’t handle the load. Zerg content results in unbearable skill lag, dramatic drops in FPS, and just over the top effects that, along with a cluttered HUD, obscures the display.

Until they can remedy the technical issues involved in this zerg style content, they should not be releasing it.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

No I do not. It is laggy, boring and doesn’t feel like you are accomplishing anything. You don’t get any evolution in skill. No fun & no reason to do it.

If they killed every single zerg with a huge nerf hammer, I’d be in favor.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Autumn Man.6852

Autumn Man.6852

Yes, I love it!

Posted by: Elmo Benchwarmer.3025

Elmo Benchwarmer.3025

I don’t like it. As a player I need a challenge. Zerging doesn’t provide that.

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

I absolutely hate all zerg content.

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Nope, i actually do not care for mindless zerging.

if the developers think a bunch of players “participating” in masses at an event and think we do it because it is fun, then i have to say: nope…
i will not do this mindless thing any longer then i have to.
I really hope they find a way to break up the zerging. it really gets annoying with every “big” release

Posted by: lekyii.9856

lekyii.9856

No, theres no “tactic” or coordnation and its all zerg besides fps go to a very low point.

Instanced content for life.

Posted by: Ghostextechnica.3270

Ghostextechnica.3270

Love it – it means I can enjoy GW2 and have a proper life and don’t need to worry too much if someone comes over, or I get a phone call or whatever and have to afk.

In an instanced raid – you have to be completely committed and if someone is afk everyone will fail.

When I get that feeling I want… spectral healing.

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

Zergs are good in limited doses…good mindless fun.

But for actual gameplay, the instanced missions of GW1 were far more challenging and interesting.

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

I love open world content, I hate zerging.

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I like zerg content, that said of course I do think that there needs to be a bit better scaling. Most of it doesn’t down scale well, I’m afraid so once the content gets old it can be a bit of an issue to complete it. As far as I remember most content has a upper and a lower scaling limit, so once you’ve got more people when the upper limit content can become a little to easy. The alternative would be to add things like 1-shot kill abilities, since that would drastically decrease the advantage that a zerg brings, although most players would hate that.

Posted by: Savoy.6824

Savoy.6824

I like it. kthxbye

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once – Nietzsche

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

I’m give or take. I like zerg warfare in PvP because it feels more like a real battlefield rather than Little Tykes: My First Arena Match!.

In PvE, I prefer strong solo/duo/small group content over zerg content.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: TChalla.7146

TChalla.7146

I enjoy it from time to time. I don’t do it regularly, but when I feel like doing it, it’s there.

I’m not exactly sure why people feel so adamantly about getting rid of this, really. If one doesn’t like it, one doesn’t have to participate. Seems simple to me.

Posted by: artsed.9702

artsed.9702

Hate it.

Large-scale, open world content is ok (I like Claw of Jormag when it’s not clogged full of people, and I think the Ulgoth quest chain in the Harathi Hinterlands is possibly the best designed in the game, even if he could scale up a bit better), but since we’re talking about Tequatl-style massive zergs, I just can’t handle it. It’s a nightmare on less-than-awesome PCs, I don’t find it to mesh well with the game’s current engine (a giant square hitbox covered with particle effects that doesn’t even line up with the massive dragon in front of you), and you’re so individually insignificant that it doesn’t even really matter to the outcome of the battle whether you show up or not. Doesn’t really feel very heroic or immersive.

It’s good that they exist for those that like it, and Tequatl was designed alright, but that type of content really isn’t for me.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i like co-op, i hate zergs.
co-op is good for everyone, zergs ruin everything.

Elbegast.6970

I enjoy it from time to time. I don’t do it regularly, but when I feel like doing it, it’s there.

I’m not exactly sure why people feel so adamantly about getting rid of this, really. If one doesn’t like it, one doesn’t have to participate. Seems simple to me.

Part of the problem is that the people who do not participate in the bi-weekly zergfests have a harder time finding other players to complete non-zerg group content. The zone specific zergs also empty the game world and lead new players to believe the game has already died. There is nothing beneficial in funneling the majority of your player base to a single specific zone every two weeks. It only hurts the game.

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

Nope, I absolutely kittening hate it. I found clearing zones in Guild Wars to be a million times more entertaining than sitting around scratching my kitten for hours until I finally, along with a hundred faceless nobodies, get to the brainless bashing.

This is bad, bad, bad. I get the concept behind it but it still sucks.

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

ANET fails again.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I like both.

I like doing my daily and bit of cash by doing the Queensdale zerg. Usually i listen to music or chat with people around making it really fun and relax.

I like the World Boss Zerg, doing events that i do on rare occasion. Some of them are boring, but other are interesting. And like with the Queensdale zerg, i like to listen to music or chat with people while doing it.

I like Tequalt because it need some organization. You can use the Turret, protect it with a small number so no champion come or DPS the Dragon in the zerg. Even there it’s not a mindless zerg. You need to keep an eye for the waves and i’m usually quite occupy by rezzing a bunch of people that DPS without doing anything to stay alive.

Of course, Zerg content on its own ain’t enough. A good mix of Party and Zerg content is needed.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Nope, I prefer content I can do at my own pace.
Also the overflows completely kill it.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Instanced content ala GW1 all the way. Challenging, neither short nor too long, awesome, interesting.

Would be nice if we got content with party-size increase to 8 or 12.

Agree with this. Guild Wars 1 required 100x more skill than the average zerg boss killing.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

Don’t call it zerg content…that taints people’s responses.

Call it for what it is – Large, Open-World, Challenging Meta/Zone Events.

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

In other words, zerg content.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Players will do the easiest and quickest way to make gold.

Before the zerg trains was the world bosses train before they got nerfed. Before the world bosses was the dungeons.

Zerg trains in Queensdale/Frostgorge Sound get nerfed, they’ll just go to the next best thing to get money and loot and karma or whatever it is they need.

The zerg in and of itself is NOT the problem. The problem is a lack of permanent content that’s challenging and fun with an appropriate level of reward for risk and time. They add in a number of those on various maps and the zerg will spread out or at least map hop.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Although your description is accurate without the Challenging Meta part. Something by any other name is still something.

I do agree that maybe zerg has a negative connotation, but Zone Events doesn’t exactly evoke a good response either imo.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Malchior.5042

Although your description is accurate without the Challenging Meta part. Something by any other name is still something.

I do agree that maybe zerg has a negative connotation, but Zone Events doesn’t exactly evoke a good response either imo.

Regardless of people’s expectations and content design, if the OP is looking for truthful and illustrated responses (which I believe he is), barring the use of the term “zerg” may be beneficial.

Also true that “Zone Events” does not always receive a healthy response, but this is the kind of criticism that has the potential to be acted upon.

Why do certain people dislike certain zone events? Is it game performance/lag? Is it difficulty? Is it lack of server participation and integration? (Overflows)

If we want change, we need to offer constructive discussion that not only points out flaws but suggests solutions!

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Nova Stiker.8396

Nova Stiker.8396

I don’t understand why ArenaNet assumes zerging is fun.
I don’t understand why ArenaNet thinks Immobilize stacking is fun.

I don’t think ArenaNet understands fun.

Do I enjoy zerging content?

Attachments:

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Why was this moved?
This was about the game in general, not WvW.

Hello, the World bosses are mostly still very zerg and DPS heavy. So it is a problem in all gametypes.

Malchior.5042

Well…the OP never explained his intent of the post, or where his thoughts were coming from. Given a quick runthrough of topic titles, I’d probably have done the same.

As others have voiced, please moderator, if you could move this back to General Discussion, we’d greatly appreciate it.

Perhaps change the title to better reflect the OP’s intent of the current Living Story updates and their design direction.

Thanks!
Malchior

Posted by: Ghostextechnica.3270

Ghostextechnica.3270

Given the question is about open world vs instanced it’s pretty clear they are talking about pve.

Wanna move this back to general mods?

When I get that feeling I want… spectral healing.

Posted by: mesme.5028

mesme.5028

I dislike zerg content, i also dislike i have to do it if i want dragonite ore.

Ascended should have obtained via fractals progression, and not got by how much gold and mats you have adding gems to gold only worsened any respect good gamers had in gw2, zerg content i think is good for peeps who cant play proper as it gives them the feeling of accomplishment they can’t obtain through skill.

We can consider games like wow as an example, the hardest content was only seen by 1% of the game community but was held in the highest regard by all, wotlk came along and the game was diluted, nerfed to oblivion so everyone could do the content and thus the game content became a joke, this is how i view zerg content, joke content.

Elbegast.6970

Thank you, moderators.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

I don’t mind open-world zerg content, I just wish it wasn’t the only new content being offered.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Daesyn.4781

Daesyn.4781

In some instances “zerg content” can be enjoyable (random jumping puzzles with 50+ people, anyone?) but in a lot of instances it’s just plain annoying.

Most of the time I prefer challenging solo or small group (20 people tops) content. Unfortunately, some of the in-game mechanics (such as bosses being able to kill anyone with 1 or 2 hits) make this impossible.

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

No. /15 c h a r s

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I like both but find it hard to be “stuck” in instances. Sure enough, I get into a dungeon and the phone rings or the dog needs to go out. Real life… gets in the way. I also like the feeling of fighting along side 50 other random people all with the same purpose. That makes the game fun for me. I do both types of content and just simply enjoy the game as much as possible.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: the krytan assassin.9235

the krytan assassin.9235

don’t really like zergs here either. Atm there are 2 types of open world bosses, those who require tactics and those who don’t. For the bosses that require tactics i prefer an instanced boss over an open world boss. It’s just frustrating if new players screw it up for the experienced players. By making instanced world bosses you provide 1. a maximum number of people (no more 100+ autoattacking @ tequatl) and 2. make sure that the persons you take with you in the dungeon can listen/understand what needs to be done.

A-net, feel free to make easy content for the casual/just starting players, but also give some attention to more hardcore gamers. by neglecting the hardcore gamers in gw2 only results in a kid friendly, easy playable, non challenging game like the latest expansions of WoW.

DDD|elementalist| Piken commander|RaW|

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I like this sort of content in theory, but the massive lag and particle effect spam take away almost all of the enjoyment. It would be better as a raid-type instance, with 12-20 people max.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

I like the Tequatl encounter if that’s what you mean.