Do you WvW? If not, what's stopping you?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

5. Anonymity creates no rivalry…which to me is a big part of the PvP fun in an MMO…wanting to hunt specific people down.

Disagree 1000%
ANet did it right by making enemies unable to talk to each other. Last thing I want is some kid with an attitude paging me about how I suck, or how he’s going to kill me after I just killed him.

Wow. Someone needs to go back to school and learn the meaning of the word Anonymity. The poster was talking about being able to know who you are fighting by presenting their name on the screen other than “so and so invader” .

Fear the middle way is lost. Some names would be nice. Titles. But with the names you can pm. More guild competition would be nice also. Without some competition it al gets boring.

Posted by: Grunties.6841

Grunties.6841

Zerg v Zerg not my cup of tea
No incentive

Posted by: fefner.5729

fefner.5729

It’s a zerg fest, no tactics, it’s just get a force bigger than your enemies and you’ll win

Posted by: Rosen Myst.7641

Rosen Myst.7641

^what fefner said.

When the sides are fairly even, battles can be a lot of fun. Otherwise it gets boring fast.

Posted by: Kakeru.2873

Kakeru.2873

No incentive

They should rename it . Zerg V Zerg V Zerg. Because that’s what it actually is.

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

The usual what is known for ages now:
Thief class, culling, nightcapping, lack of rewards, small maps, no variety, lack of ladders etc etc…..oh most important: the developer thinks we dont exist atall.

Nice run down, though it’s missing at least one other issue, that being the lack of visible enemy names.

I’d add that the matches are either too short to generate any sort of emotional investment in beating the enemy, or too long to facilitate more casual involvement.

I know alot of players who burned out taking a match seriously for however many days they could sustain, only to watch their gains lost within a fraction of the time they invested into achieving them. These players would be better served by shorter matches which they could have a greater impact upon, while at the same time matches short enough that they can happily miss a match without feeling like they’ve lost the war.

Suffice it to say, I knew alot of WvWers who found the 24hr matches far more fun than the 7d matches.

Unfortunately, they seem to be moving towards making matches permanent at some point. That worked well back in the DAoC days, but I haven’t seen it succeed since. Feel free to show me where it has.

(edited by Ansultares.1567)

Posted by: Midnightjade.3520

Midnightjade.3520

No incentive

They should rename it . Zerg V Zerg V Zerg. Because that’s what it actually is.

Thing is, it could be so much more than that. But the only way to learn is to do it – guides are not much help. And the folks that play WvWvW regularly and post on the WvWvW forum just aren’t very friendly to players asking for advice.

For example, I started a thread on the WvWvW forum recently, asking for some tips for tactics beyond basic zerg, and some map orientation, and the best way to farm up badges. It received only one reply, which consisted of a link to a list of basic guides which I had already read, and a request I not post any further.

And then the WvWvW regulars complain about lack of participation. LOL. What goes around comes around.

Onyx: Norn Guardian 80. Queen in Tatters: Asura Mesmer 80.
[The Flameseeker Prophecies] 4/11/13
Itinerant, no guild.

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

And then the WvWvW regulars complain about lack of participation. LOL. What goes around comes around.

If you participated, you’d develop your own methods.

Anyway, dealing with the zerg basically comes down to avoiding the zerg. There’s not much room for tactics when you can’t even see most of the enemy forces until you’re in the midst of them.

I’m not sure what kind of information you’re after beyond that. You could try being more specific in your questions.

Posted by: Eirikr.8047

Eirikr.8047

I use it simply because it allows completion of dailies events quickly. Also allows for a quick easy variety of mob kills. Other than that, I’m not much interested.

Better rewards would draw me in more often.

Posted by: Clark Skinner.4902

Clark Skinner.4902

Performance was a terrible issue since launch and not a single thing has improved. And nothing will be improved for another year, so it’s basically a lost cause for me.

I’m excluded from WvW. I would be much more into it if not for FPS dipping down to 3 at times.

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

The major reason for the zerginess is kittening downed state, which makes zergs able to rez their fallen indefinitely and prolongs zerg-v-zerg confrontations to the point of boredom.

Not to mention downed state & rallying is EXTREMELY frustrating in small-group roaming PVP. Rallying in particular on kills is a kittening joke.

downed state is bad for PVP

Posted by: Hevy.5074

Hevy.5074

Whats stopping me from WvWvW…

Laughably miniscule rewards, player zergs are the definition of ‘not fun’, oh and lets not forget the biggest issue of all, player culling. Its bad enough to have a few thieves appear out of nowhere and gank you, but having an entire zerg appear out of nowhere is simply disheartening.

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

I only do it for monthly. The reason?

1. No feeling of progression… when you win you don’t even know it.
2. Running 15 mins across the map just to reach a battle (if there is one)
3. When in a big battle your individual input is negligible and it just feels like I’m mindlessly laying down AoEs…
4. Lacking in one on one battles, since someone will always come to help. At least sPvP I get a good duel somewhat regularly.

There are more but those are the biggies for me.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

What stops me is when the other server is too strong.

I don’t like dying. I like fighting when my server is winning. I feel better when I am owning people.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

All the above complaints.

They can keep adding new PvE zones with nothing in them and 100 more fractals, but that’s really just one aspect of the game. WvW is a primary aspect of the game all its own. Anet really should polish out their selling points evenly.

In addition to all the improvements, I would like to see additional incentives for defense. WvDoor is bad gameplay. WvW should be more defensive for more fun and a greater sense of purpose to capturing objectives. For defending you already get event completion ticks, guild bonuses to loot, and big kills from manning the seige, but in this case more is better. Upgrades to not just the defensive capabilities, but an additional “treasury” loot aura upgrade could be seen as highly beneficial, especially if it included a higher chance at badges that everyone complains about having such a low drop rate. This could could cost a sum of karma and upgade time (spending money to get better loot would seem counter-productive and spending a huge amount of supply for more loot would be seen as unhelpful and selfish.) Suddenly defending specific objectives tooth and nail becomes a rewarding goal to the individual player. Karma also needs another sink.

Worst case scenario, if there’s a particularly stubborn stalemate in terms of tower/keep flips, it encourages more small skirmishes out in the terrain. People would fight more often for camps and checkpoint/dolly ganks which is an improvement. Letting fortification flips get old is probably worse for the WvW experience in the long-term.

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Downed feature is the biggest reason I don’t WvW. If you are facing a big zerg and have less players and you pick off some players it doesn’t affect the zerg at all because that person will get ressed instantly. It’s pretty much whoever has more players wins especially during off hours

(edited by RoRo.8270)

Midnightjade.3520

Anyway, dealing with the zerg basically comes down to avoiding the zerg. There’s not much room for tactics when you can’t even see most of the enemy forces until you’re in the midst of them.

I’m not sure what kind of information you’re after beyond that. You could try being more specific in your questions.

OK, what’s a good activity for a player new to WvWvW that avoids the zerg and is unlikely to get them killed?

Thanks!

Itinerant, no guild.

Posted by: John Widdin.9618

John Widdin.9618

No incentive

I’d have to disagree. Maguuma is a relatively low populated server by comparison to who we normally face, and thanks to our mumble, we can move the right amounts of our small force where we need them.

WvW is more about supply control, moving quickly, and positioning.

Not mashing zergs against each other.

Zachary ~ Mesmer/ John Widdin ~ Warrior/ Zazmataz ~ Engineer
Maguuma – [TriM][DERP]

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

zerg v zerg is totally boring. —> zero skill.
map is too big and travel is too slow —> die and spend 8 min getting back
armor repair costs —> after spending 8 min running to my destination only to be insta killed in a zerg v zerg i don’t appreciate paying for it. add insult to injury.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

(edited by vespers.1759)

Chickenshoes.6250

OK, what’s a good activity for a player new to WvWvW that avoids the zerg and is unlikely to get them killed?

Thanks!

Run supply, and objective defense (maybe not camps if facing a zerg)

Running supply means taking supply manually from a camp or overly-supplied structure and taking it where it’s needed for immediate use.

I may seem like you aren’t being useful, but in most situations, having someone build/maintain seige and repair stuff while being there to call out incoming and defend is useful. You might not get huge steady loot like someone in the zerg all day, but successfully defending against attackers will get you decent rewards and loot. If you build and man seige that otherwise wouldn’t have been there, you’ve created an opportunity that you would have probably missed if you hadn’t chose to defend.

Remember, you defending is always better than not being there and leaving your realm short 1 guy.

If you do this, you’ll get a good feel for WvW and may decide to follow a commander in being offensive.

Chickenshoes.6250

Maybe WvW specific dailies could be useful as a cheap way of motivating people. If someone pops in quickly to do their dailies, odds are they might stick around after to keep playing.

If there’s some concern about too many achievement points piling up for the tryhards, just average out the current dailies to include the WvW dailies. I would prefer this.

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Easy to answer.
PvP is boring and unappealing to me and no matter how much WvW try to be for PvE’ers too and go under the PvE section of the game and in the PvE monthly it is NOT PvE and it is a pain in the kitten for some people.

You don’t have to enjoy every aspect of the game to log in. I enjoy PvE I enjoy playing all the racial stories, all the orders etc. I enjoy jumping puzzles and dynamic events and exploration.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Infatum.2481

Infatum.2481

I do WvW, but only rarely (mostly for the monthly). Probably the main reason I don’t do it more is the anonymity, I like being able to compliment people who fought well and start to recognize certain enemies on the battlefield and the thrill that comes from facing those I know are going to be a challenge. The current setup is so bland and faceless, and the only real personality any adversary generally has is how rude their emotes are. I’m not sure why they decided to set it up that way given SPvP is the complete opposite.

Midnightjade.3520

Thanks!

Run supply, and objective defense (maybe not camps if facing a zerg)

Running supply means taking supply manually from a camp or overly-supplied structure and taking it where it’s needed for immediate use.

I may seem like you aren’t being useful, but in most situations, having someone build/maintain seige and repair stuff while being there to call out incoming and defend is useful. You might not get huge steady loot like someone in the zerg all day, but successfully defending against attackers will get you decent rewards and loot. If you build and man seige that otherwise wouldn’t have been there, you’ve created an opportunity that you would have probably missed if you hadn’t chose to defend.

Remember, you defending is always better than not being there and leaving your realm short 1 guy.

If you do this, you’ll get a good feel for WvW and may decide to follow a commander in being offensive.

Awesome, thanks! I need to do the maps anyhow for map completion so can kill two birds with one stone. Get completion, and learn as well. ^^

I’ll check the guides to find out where to get supply and where to take it – tbh most of them are incredibly basic. For instance, how do I know where supply is low?

Itinerant, no guild.

Posted by: Marikus.1875

Marikus.1875

Today was my first time trying wvwvw (I just made it to lvl 11 btw).

I lasted a whole 2 minutes before dieing with just 1 other person around me to help.

That was the first and last time I will ever step foot in wvwvw again.

Posted by: teviko.6049

teviko.6049

Reasons for no WvWvW for me.

Everytime I read the WvW forums, I learn about yet another exploit that is in use that is making WvW a headache and overall not fun. (seige capping anyone??)

Also, the point capping. You take the outpost, you defend it, you walk away, 2 seconds later, the enemy is taking it back. By the time you make it back, they have left, you take it back, you walk away, they come back and retake it…‘gag

You’ll be taking down a fort, you have the gate down to 10% and BAM suddenly your dead as a gang of the keeps defenders appear out of NOWHERE to kill you and defend their territory.

2v1 in WvW…

Hacks and cheats.

The overall reason? WHy? Why should I WvW??

Posted by: Zedrix.2104

Zedrix.2104

No real rewards. (Should be a way to get better looking armours and weapons in wvw)
No mounts. Mounts make for faster gameplay.
If they took a bit of warhammers open world pvp and put it in to gw2 it would be perfect.

Posted by: Turgut.4397

Turgut.4397

Tried it a few times, complete zerg fest, nothing tactical. Which ever World has the most people, and fastest button mashers win.

Still waiting for the things I love about GW1.

Chickenshoes.6250

I’ll check the guides to find out where to get supply and where to take it – tbh most of them are incredibly basic. For instance, how do I know where supply is low?

Usually you just take supply from the closest camp.

Go to the area to check how much supply is in it. It will appear on the screen somewhere, I think the corner with the events. The map doesn’t tell you. You can always ask if someplace needs supply, someone who’s there could tell you.

Also if someone ever mentions that siege needs to be built, that means supply is needed to put it up. This could be in a base or out in the world, usually things needed to break enemy doors/walls. Usually you don’t need to run supply for individual pieces of siege equipment. Enough random people using their 10 personal supply just for such occasions will erect them, as should you.

Posted by: Kyrel.8942

Kyrel.8942

A terrible computer unable to handle the mass amounts of players.

Posted by: Nozdrum.2894

Nozdrum.2894

Because I get killed by invis people all the time.
No this is not a complain about thiefs.
It is a complain about people not loading in time. This really annoys me, why not just show a bunch of red names?
Also when I see them it likes like kitten and I can’t do anything remotly relevant because all I do has lagg.

The reason I don’t go wvw? It is unplayable for me.

Posted by: Sokina.8041

Sokina.8041

All the drama surrounding it.
Culling issues. Thieves are benefitting most from this. (Not a thief hate omg rage post)
kitten rewards.

Midnightjade.3520

Go to the area to check how much supply is in it. It will appear on the screen somewhere, I think the corner with the events. The map doesn’t tell you. You can always ask if someplace needs supply, someone who’s there could tell you.

Also if someone ever mentions that siege needs to be built, that means supply is needed to put it up. This could be in a base or out in the world, usually things needed to break enemy doors/walls. Usually you don’t need to run supply for individual pieces of siege equipment. Enough random people using their 10 personal supply just for such occasions will erect them, as should you.

Great, thanks. I actually have some blueprints from when I was last in WvWvW. I’ll learn how to supply stuff, then try building something when I get the hang of it.

Much appreciated. ^^

Itinerant, no guild.

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

My 10 fps in mass battles is what’s stopping me. Have decided to run scout and supply missions instead which becomes very boring thus my time in WvW has drastically declined.

This single game is not worth a 300+ dollar investment in a new motherboard and I5-I7 cpu although reading the tech forums those with such systems aren’t getting that much better performance anyways (bang for buck theory) as all my other games run flawlessly with my X4 955 cpu.

Same here, it’s ridiculous.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Chickenshoes.6250

Great, thanks. I actually have some blueprints from when I was last in WvWvW. I’ll learn how to supply stuff, then try building something when I get the hang of it.

Much appreciated. ^^

Also you can’t directly dump supply into the supply pile. Running supply is for immediate use, not stockpiling. One of the big reasons people run supply is so that they don’t use up the base’s stockpile supply they would need in emergencies.

using supply to build/repair gives modest experience and achievement progression.

(edited by Chickenshoes.6250)

Posted by: sonicsix.5713

sonicsix.5713

No, because I do not like PvP. So much so that I never complete the monthly achievement.

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

1) WvW is a mindless zerg vs. a door.

2) You get PvE buffs that… you can’t use because you’re in WvW.

3) Terrible lag/invisible players

Posted by: Genesis.5169

Genesis.5169

It’s simple.
I. Do. Not. Like. Zergs.
There is no skill to it. No strategy. No Progression.
It’s just group up bombard a wall fail or succeed or ghost and win.
I personally would like to see something more small scale maybe a ladder system where teams compute in various sizes. And matchmaking is based on your w/l rate.

Like a.
3v3 or a 4v4 and i would love somewhere where i can 1v1 people to.

These forums are a joke its not for opinions or debate its just a safe place for people to cry at.

Posted by: Druss.6917

Druss.6917

1. No-strat Zergs. When I think large-scale epic fantasy battles I think strategic maneuvers and large scale tactics; feints, guerilla warfare, scouting, and LOTR type stuff. I do not think of two massive groups haphazardly throwing projectiles and bodies at each other like a kindergarten dodgeball game.

2. Melee is almost always useless, the only exception I can see is Ele daggers because Ride the Lightning is such a ridiculously effective escape maneuver. And thieves, but only because of the subsequent issue…

3. Thief culling exploit. Wandering around the world engaging in small 1v1s or 2v2s used to be a lot of fun in WvW, and it gave melees at least something to do even if it doesn’t really contribute to a win. Now you run across a nigh-invincible thief every fifty feet, and melees are just completely screwed.

4. Lag

5. The DOZENS of terrain exploits that ANet doesn’t even acknowledge, let alone address.

This mostly sums it up for me, along with the known exploits that people constantly use like mesmer portals under walls, ect. There’s no strategy involved at all, it’s just whoever can maintain a larger zerg and who has the most money to throw on siege. Also like someone else mentioned, I basically spend all the money I spent time earning elsewhere just to spend a few hours in wvw. I know people are always saying they make so much there, how could you possibly lose money in wvw, then I see the same people standing afk for most of the day only going out for easy zergs and events. I loved wvw soooo much in the betas and I looked foward to it being a major part of my playing experience but after the first two months I gave it up for good. Idc if I can never complete my monthly achievs again.

“Come to me and die you stinking whoresons. For I am Druss, and This is Death!”

Posted by: FacesOfMu.3561

FacesOfMu.3561

I played WvW for the first time this last weekend.
Strangely in WvW I feel the futility of playing games here more than anywhere else. Not in the sense that I’m not learning anything, because I am, but the rapid backwards and forwardsing of bases and resources makes me question the value of capturing them as goals.
The battles themselves can be quite fun and very involving, but in the quiet time that I sit back and ask “what do I want now?” I don’t easily have an answer from the WvW arena.

People vary.

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

While I do still actively pvp in wvw zones, I think a lot of stuff that was brought up here is good. However, as a quick note about the anonymity, it’s not quite as bad anymore. You can change it so that you see other peoples’ dyes, and there’s still the guild tag. You should be able to identify people by those. Also, you can /invite or /join people from other servers to talk to them. I too would prefer to just be able to see people’s names, but you shouldn’t feel too discouraged by the anonymity as there are some decent work arounds.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

PvD zergfest.

Kinda boring.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

garbage fps and no able to use skills in zergs. The day they optimize gw2 is that day i’ll spend more time than what i need for monthly achievement.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: karma.8763

karma.8763

All add one……..not being able to see the 20 enemy’s pounding on you untill your dead.

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

I tried it while leveling up and quickly gave up after I got killed a few times and had no idea what was going on. I will probably give it a shot when I hit 80 but I don’t see much point in it really.

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

Zerg vs Zerg is lame

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

No badges, bad rewards are part of it; the lack of a decent dedicated group is the other.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

I actually like the chaos of WvW, but only when I’m feeling in the mood for it. Generally I just prefer the reliability of PvE combat, where I won’t be ganked quite as often by OHKOs (unless I’m running a dungeon).

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Posted by: incaman.1456

incaman.1456

- Do you WvW?
Nope

- What’s stopping you?
1-2 FPS during skirmishes

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Lag, literally right now, is stopping me from wvw-ing >.>

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.