Do you display your titles?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I’m a bit curious about how players feel about their titles and if they display them.

If you have multiple titles and display them which ones do you like to show?
Do you switch them around or use certain ones one certain characters?
Did you pursue/farm your titles or did they come naturally through the course of playing the game.

I have been playing close to 4 months and so far I have 3 titles.

1. Combat Healer – Most of it came naturally from rezing NPCs along the way as I played. I did rez a fair amount of players but since I don’t do WvW and other events where players go down a lot the number was maybe 15%. I did farm the last 100 or so NPCs because I wanted that first title. I displayed this title for a short time but then didn’t feel anything special about rezzing basically 1000 NPCs. IMO the title would mean more if it required rezzing actual players.
  2. Sanctum Sprint – I got this one the real way from a legitimate first place win and not by friendly players letting me win. I was rather happy about this because I’m terrible at such things. I think I displayed it for a few days but then turned it off after doing more races. I didn’t feel it meant much just winning one race. If the races had been tiered based on wins, say 5 wins moves you to the next bracket and so forth I think it would have meant more.
  3. Master Crafter – I earned this one partially on my own through experimenting with crafting and then the rest using guides to level up some alts. I displayed this one for about a day. I suppose there is nothing fancy about using a guide to craft level alts. It more or less shows you have enough coin to do it.

It seems most players display titles and I can respect the game play that got them their titles. That being said, I tend to notice players more that I’m sure have earned several titles but don’t display them. I guess this stands out to me because it doesn’t seem to be the norm.

The Burninator

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Yeah, I make absolutely sure to remember people that I am a god and they are just mere mortals.

I don’t actively pursue titles as you can only show one at a time.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

(edited by Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713)

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Yes, I have to scroll…

Attachments:

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

If I have a title that I feel ‘fits’ the character, then yes I display one. Otherwise, no. I’m not really ‘doing it for other people’, so whether or not a specific char has one depends on style and fit.

I display GWAMM on my ele. She had it in GW1, I worked forever to get that title, and I’m very proud of it. As my ele is my namesake and primary class carry over, she got that title. It suits her, and what she represents.

My mesmer got ‘Chosen’ as it suits her. She’s conceited, ‘one of a kind’ etc etc. Hard to explain ‘how’ this fits, the words just aren’t coming to me.

I know my necro has one…. from Halloween. Necro…halloween…mad king….yeah, it seemed to work for her.

I dont think I have any displayed on my other 3 right now. Nothing ‘fit’ with their personalities. Of course, the necro and mesmer may have theirs changed at any given point as they ‘evolve’ as well. Right now the only one that wont change in my ele.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I tend to cycle my titles but usually wear “Combat Healer” in WvW and “Distinction in Applied Jumping” everywhere else.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Chi.2943

Chi.2943

I think I’m pretty similar to you. I have quite a number of titles but I don’t display any of them. Of course this is only my opinion, but to me the only titles that I am impressed by are:

1. Any WvW title
2. Upper tier sPvP/tournament titles
3. Champion of the Gods/GWAMM

All other titles are just kinda like…meh. Okay, cool title brah.

Nubbie [OnS]

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’m with Lanfear. The title must suit. I have Golden on my Lyssa-blessed charming noble conman. Respected Achiever on his much more reliable sister. Been There Done That on my blase Asura. Combat Healer/Volunteer on my Valiant Guardian.

Several of my alts have no title because none fit. I was super-hoping for “Basher” from Dragon Bash because that would have worked so well for my warrior.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I have different titles on different characters as well. My sylvari ranger uses traveler, for example, because it fits him perfectly.

My ultra conceited Asura uses GWAMM.

I don’t actually have titles displayed on my lower level characters, because they haven’t developed a personality yet.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I only use Combat Healer in farming zergs, to denote that this is my chosen role. This is so that other people I party with can see that I am contributing whilst not always attacking mobs.

JustTrogdor.7892

I didn’t think about using titles to match the character. That’s pretty cool that you all do that. I suppose I could use Combat Healer on my Guardian. Actually they need the opposite of that title for me, “Combat Casualty”. It would suite all my characters. I would have earned that one in my first week.

The Burninator

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I didn’t think about using titles to match the character. That’s pretty cool that you all do that. I suppose I could use Combat Healer on my Guardian. Actually they need the opposite of that title for me, “Combat Casualty”. It would suite all my characters. I would have earned that one in my first week.

LMAO! Funny stuff.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I do display them but not typically how others might I guess. I try to give each of my char’s a title that suits their “story” or “char” I guess. For example for my Guardian I gave the combat medic, for my Mesmer (Sylvari) I gave the “Southsun Stalwart” as it kind of signifies he protects the southern areas. My Thief charr I gave “Master Carver” simply because of his massive claws and I kind of play him as an evil char lol.

So yeah that’s a few examples of mine. :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

chuckle

I know what you mean by that. A guildie of mine in GW1 died….a lot. We nicknamed him Sir Dies A Lot because of it (he even tried making a pvp char with that name, was hillarious). Would be really nifty if there were titles that we could achieve for things like that, just for humor’s sake. ‘Sacrificial Lamb’ would probably be a good one….for that person that jumps in there to die in their teammates stead…

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Emmet.2943

Emmet.2943

I have 5 or so titles and i don’t ever display them. I used to when you could only see the titles when you selected the person. When they made the change to display them at all times i turned mine off and all nameplates off as they got in the way all the time especially in WvW.

I don’t mind them but i just don’t like them getting in the way of stuff and actually like the immersive feel of no nameplates in an mmo world especially in WvW as it feels a lot better having to actually look for the person and not their nameplate/title.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I try to match the titles to characters also. For example, my Mesmer Astral Projections which is my Ritualist’s namesake, has the GWAMM title. I put my Champion of the Gods title on my Asura guardian, Resistance Is Fatal, because it suits her egotistical little soul. My thief of course has the Master Carver title. And so on.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

No.
I was actually slightly amused how everybody and their hamster had that clutter turned on when it was launched.
Lately sanity has thankfully overtaken vanity a bit.

Polish > hype

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I display my GW1 GWAMM title.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

All my characters are emissaries of the mad king.

I display my favorite title but don’t actively go after any. I might go after LS titles just because they’re temporary. The rest I can get whenever.

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

Only have combat healer, traveler, and guild warrior.

I display guild warrior cuz that’s the best I got. Everyone has combat healer rofl it’s worthless.

All is vain.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

I don’t have many of them, so I just keep it on Combat Healer.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

No.
I was trying to match titles to my characters ie: guardian – combat healer but decided against it after the title display change.
Since then i find titles to be useless clutter and do not want to impose this on other players.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Sil.4560

Sil.4560

Omnomnivore. Don’t need other titles.

Posted by: crystal.5930

crystal.5930

I’m still displaying “Closer to the Stars” on all my characters just because I like it, and don’t really like the ones I’ve earned in GW2. If I get one that seems to suit a particular character though, I will change it.

Chosovi Rose, Thomas Thorn, Crystalbrier, Bracken Farstone, Crassul, on Tarnished Coast
“Worshipping nonsense and imagination” — Hayden Herrera (paraphrased)

JustTrogdor.7892

I know what you mean by that. A guildie of mine in GW1 died….a lot. We nicknamed him Sir Dies A Lot

HAHA, you and the others in this thread inspired me. I decided to rename my Guardian who has 23 deaths in 15 hours of play time “Mr Dies A Lot” Then I put the Combat Healer title on him because of the contradiction. I’m using it more as a tag signaling for healers.

I got to test it out right away. I went to the Pavilion and a boss spawned. Everyone was standing on a ledge just kind of looking at it. So I shouted in chat “RAMBO!!” and jumped my little Azura Guardian upscaled from level 22 into the fight. I died. However, it seemed to encourage the others to charge into battle.

The Burninator

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

No title. I don’t like any of them, plus it stands out more.

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

We’re not allowed to in guild raids unless we have Ultimate Dominator, so no. I’m also not bothered to change it outside WvW so I’m titleless.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

If there were a ‘Slayer of Worlds’ title, I might wear it. I don’t wear titles. None of them look cool enough.

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

GWAMM is the only title I would display not because it sounds arrogant, but because I spent a hell of a lot of time getting it back in GW1 and I’m going to get my game times worth out of it.

Posted by: Lpfan.3578

Lpfan.3578

All of my characters display titles, even the characters I barely play right now! The world shall be made aware of my achievements and the world shall say “Congrats, you’re only the millionth player I’ve seen with that one.” I still enjoy titles though, even if lots of other people have the ones I have.

Currently I like to display my Respected Achiever title because I just got to 5k+ achievement points last week! Before that, it was mostly GW1 titles but, I’m only up to Closer to the Stars… would love GWAMM but I will never get there. Sometimes I display ones from Living Story, like Crab Tosser, Emissary of the Mad King, Avenger of the Dispossessed.

Do I really work specifically towards getting a title? No, not really… but if something I want to complete has a title at the end of it, I’m likely to display it at least for a little while when I get it.

Posted by: Starscream.6498

Starscream.6498

Meh, got the LS titles but they just show I was there somewhere, I keep my Dungeon Master title on throughout all my characters, I feel like it’s the only one that displays an actual achievement.

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

WAR had some awesome titles. In GW2, none of the titles really reflect an actual achievement. At best, theres a few pvp/wvw ones that are grinds (and possibly world explorer), but thats about it.

Without any pride in the titles i’ve been given, I just leave them off.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

Posted by: Curae.1837

Curae.1837

I don’t really work towards titles – also I hardly display them. Atm I just don’t really have any titles that would suit my characters. Besides that – displaying a title on my mesmer on which I enjoy to wvwvw and pvp occasionally… nah.

“When we remember that we are all mad.
The mysteries dissapear and life stands explained.”

Posted by: DelOnasi.6051

DelOnasi.6051

HAHA, you and the others in this thread inspired me. I decided to rename my Guardian who has 23 deaths in 15 hours of play time “Mr Dies A Lot” Then I put the Combat Healer title on him because of the contradiction. I’m using it more as a tag signaling for healers.

If 23/15 deaths/hour is a lot… uh oh! Most of my characters have a deaths/hour of about 2, and my engineer has a deaths/hour of about 4 (I blame the journey to the gates of arah at level 46).

I display Dungeon Master on all of my characters. It’s the only title I have that took effort to get, it reflects what I spend most of my game time doing, and I feel like it gives me a little bit of credibility in PUGs (whether or not it actually does).

Dungeon Master ~ Litter of Lions [Arch] Admin ~ Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Nalora.7964

Nalora.7964

I do not display my titles on any of my characters. If I could, I would love to be able to represent my guild but not have the guild [NAME] show up on screen. But then my computer “desktop” is pure black and has one shortcut on it.

DEMAND Bunny Slippers and a bathrobe!

Posted by: Idad.3695

Idad.3695

How many titles are there? On wiki there seems to be only a handful, the ones everyone have listed aren’t even coming to mind. Does anyone care to explain?

Hooah

JustTrogdor.7892

If 23/15 deaths/hour is a lot… uh oh! Most of my characters have a deaths/hour of about 2, and my engineer has a deaths/hour of about 4 (I blame the journey to the gates of arah at level 46).

The character I mentioned and renamed does a lot of RP (his new name suits him better for that as well), a lot of trading and other “safe” events. I’d say if I subtracted the hours doing those activities I’m probably on par with your numbers, maybe a bit worse.

The Burninator

JustTrogdor.7892

How many titles are there? On wiki there seems to be only a handful, the ones everyone have listed aren’t even coming to mind. Does anyone care to explain?

I don’t think the wiki has all the special event titles. As for the rest I don’t know either. Some of them carry over from GW1 achievements as far as I know. Perhaps one of those GWAMM players can fill us in.

The Burninator

Posted by: Idad.3695

Idad.3695

I would like that.

Hooah

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I usually show one when i remember they exist, to me titles are meaningless..

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Nope. Neither does anyone in my guild.

We are trying to avoid adding to the visual clutter and hoping that ANet (eventually – sigh) makes seeing them optional.

Titles have become meaningless to us (and none of them humorous enough to use, sadly.)

Understand there are titles that are meaningful to players. And support them wanting to wear them and having them seen by like-minded players.

Again, would prefer an option to turn off seeing them.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Posted by: Magxene.2579

Magxene.2579

I like to change up my titles on my Guardian and Ranger. For the rest of my alts I tend to keep to ‘Been there, done that’ simply because I want other players to know that just because I might not have a star next to my name and on a low level character does not mean I don’t know what I am doing; I am an experienced player. I understand this might be a weird mentality but it’s just what I do for titles lol

Posted by: Jovel.5706

Jovel.5706

I have 28 titles and only 12 characters, can’t display them all :P

I do like to switch up my titles depending on my character’s profession and race though, can’t wear Champion of the Gods on a Charr, or Flameseeker on a Sylvari. I do the most rotation on my engineer with Master Crafter/Dungeon Master/Combat Healer/Chosen/Apprentice Toymaker and on my warrior with Guild Warrior/Avenger of the Dispossessed/Golden/Master Carver.

On some characters I just keep my God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals title displayed

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

I display the dungeonmaster so that less pugs ask me if i have experience with a dungeon lol. Have it for more than 8 months and only one time i have been asked been in the same instance and visually near them. It works!.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

This wiki page shows all the current titles, including the ones from Guild Wars 1 wearable in this game. (The Hall of Monuments titles and God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals, aka GWAMM)

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Titles

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Given my concern for screen clutter, and since the display of my titles is not optionally viewable by others, I choose to never to display a title. It seems like the responsible thing to do.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I show titles, but it tends to be based on my character.

For example, my Guardian would be the title from Flame and Frost

My necro or mesmer on the other hand might use the Mad King title.

Generally if I have a character but no title I feel fits it, I’ll go without a title. Some titles I just don’t use period because they’re just…….eh to me, Golden for example I recently achieved but I’ll never display because it’s simply not interesting.

Posted by: Neve.7134

Neve.7134

I think I use titles based on character too =) With my pro warrior I use Legend Of the Mist, with Ranger (i use most for dungeons) Dungeon Master, with my puppy pink asura Apprentice Toymaker or Miniature Collector and so on with all other character

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

In any game I play I generally do not display a title that represents achievements based on time spent or grind. If a particular achievement with a title attached feels more skill based then yes.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

I recently removed all titles from my characters.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I show the GWAMM title on the three namesakes who were a GWAMM in GW1. On my Asuran warrior I am showing the Distinction in Applied Jumping title because I never thought I’d get it… (and she was the one who got the achievement done).

The rest doesn’t wear a title, or it must be Traveler or Volunteer…