Do you really like the daily as it is ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Dailies are traditional MMO fetch quests.
I always adapted to changes until this one, because it goes straight against the fundament of GW2.
Kill ten rats and other 0/10 fetching should just stay out of GW2.

. . . I feel compelled to point out it was always in GW2, just hidden behind obfuscation with the Renown hearts and Dynamic Events where you’re supposed to gather ground spawns or specific drops to fill a bar. The only difference with DEs is that everyone is contributing, so as long as you just do one you can technically leave it alone and others will finish it.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Venirto.4208

Venirto.4208

Easiest way to get daily heals: Frostgorge Sound, event with castaways (near the Honor of the Waves dungeon).

It takes about 10 min for this even to respawn, you just have to swim down the lake and heal few kodans.

Posted by: Meowwilson.5106

Meowwilson.5106

I always adapted to changes until this one, because it goes straight against the fundament of GW2.

“traditional MMO fetch quests”
absolutely useless to this forum i am.. but i did get a bit of a laugh out of this.

Posted by: Halanna.3927

Halanna.3927

If they aren’t planning to allow choice in monthlies as well as dailies, then they ought to be.

Yes, I agree completely. Anet has to know there is a % of the player base that doesn’t like PvP, won’t do PvP and trying to force them into it won’t work, they just aren’t going to participate.

Choices in the monthly like the above poster said is coming for dailies only makes sense for monthlies too.

Posted by: Salt.4621

Salt.4621

I think the daily achievements are too easy.

“Your face is funny. All squished and weird.”

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I would definitely be all for monthlies having a “choice” system, too. Basically, as they currently work, I almost never get them done. In fact, this was the first month I have been able to actually accomplish it. lol Having a choice would prolly mean I can get more monthlies done in the future.

Posted by: lisamee.2408

lisamee.2408

I would love a larger list of activities for both the daily and monthlies, and have the option to choose my favorites.

I have never completed the monthly because i do not enjoy WvW , pvp, nor dungeons.

(edited by lisamee.2408)

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

What’s wrong with it is not the daily, is that ArenaNet made the rewards for it too valuable. So instead of just getting the dailies as you play the game, people now think they have to grind for them.

You don’t need to go out of your way to complete the daily. Just play the game like you normally would, and then 30 min before you log off, have a look at what you’re missing. I guarantee it’s not going to be much.

The only daily that can be a bit annoying is the veteran one, if you only play PvE. Other then that, it’s fine as it is. I never felt like I had to grind for the daily, I usually just get it as I play the game, without even thinking about it.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

(edited by Kasama.8941)

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

TBH, I just don’t like dailies at all – especially when doing them is the only way to get something (ascended amulets, at the moment). It’s kind of like a gear grind/treadmill.

Edit: I suppose it’s become obvious that, despite the fact that “we don’t make grindy games”, they’re going to keep the grind/low-odds RNG/gear treadmill going for the life of the game. So I don’t think there’s any point in discussing it any more. They’re not listening to us.

(edited by Chuo.4238)

Posted by: Pandeh.5248

Pandeh.5248

If doing the daily for you is a grind then I don’t think you really like the game that much. Yes the price may be steep, but if you really consider just playing the game then hunt for the last few things left before the daily resets a grind. Why do you even play? The daily is the same as it’s allways been pretty much, I even complete my daily some times now withouth even looking at it, unless it’s the crafting or Laurel part. And those two takes 1 minute to complete both.

Posted by: Avatar.1923

daily as it is: not really

daily with some cool choices like; mini quest, go talk to this dude, clear this mini dungeon/boss ? totally.

Posted by: LyricDawnhagen.7803

LyricDawnhagen.7803

Just read:

MMORPG: Okay now for: Daily achievements! I’ve been doing the new dailies, well… daily, whenever I login. But I’ve really been looking forward to this system. Can you explain how it’ll work?

COLIN: The new system will allow players to specifically pick from the list of daily achievements and complete the achievements they’re most interested in to earn their daily reward. We haven’t finalized the number, but it’ll be something like “do 5 out of 9 on the list to earn your reward.” If you decide you want to do more achievements from the list, for each additional achievement you do past the fifth, you’d also earn some bonus achievement points for your account. This is totally optional though.

<SNIP>

from http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/7133/Guild-Wars-2-Februarys-Flame-and-Frost-Update-Detailed.html

I really like the new dailies and after I read this article, I believe I will love the changes that are still to come. I have yet to have a problem completing the new dailies. I usually complete them while I am doing my usual stuff.

What I am waiting to see on the forums is the hue and cry that will come when some people realize that the daily will be increased to nine items instead of the five items it is now. Since ArenaNet is going to reward people that take the daily to the next tier and complete the optional extra steps, the complainers will hit the forums saying that the daily is way too long now because they have to do nine thing instead of five.

Optional, the new required.

Posted by: LyricDawnhagen.7803

LyricDawnhagen.7803

Just read:

MMORPG: Okay now for: Daily achievements! I’ve been doing the new dailies, well… daily, whenever I login. But I’ve really been looking forward to this system. Can you explain how it’ll work?

COLIN: The new system will allow players to specifically pick from the list of daily achievements and complete the achievements they’re most interested in to earn their daily reward. We haven’t finalized the number, but it’ll be something like “do 5 out of 9 on the list to earn your reward.” If you decide you want to do more achievements from the list, for each additional achievement you do past the fifth, you’d also earn some bonus achievement points for your account. This is totally optional though.

<SNIP>

from http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/7133/Guild-Wars-2-Februarys-Flame-and-Frost-Update-Detailed.html

I really like the new dailies and after I read this article, I believe I will love the changes that are still to come. I have yet to have a problem completing the new dailies. I usually complete them while I am doing my usual stuff.

What I am waiting to see on the forums is the hue and cry that will come when some people realize that the daily will be increased to nine items instead of the five items it is now. Since ArenaNet is going to reward the people that take the daily to the next tier and complete the optional extra steps, the complainers will hit the forums saying that the daily is way too long now because they have to do nine thing instead of five.

Posted by: Medazolam.3058

Medazolam.3058

haha, so true.

Posted by: Hawkian.6580

Hawkian.6580

. . . I feel compelled to point out it was always in GW2, just hidden behind obfuscation with the Renown hearts and Dynamic Events where you’re supposed to gather ground spawns or specific drops to fill a bar. The only difference with DEs is that everyone is contributing, so as long as you just do one you can technically leave it alone and others will finish it.

I agree with your overarching point of course (only a fool would argue that the day-to-day actions you’re doing for a heart are different than a traditional MMO quest) but there are several aspects that help considerably with the obfuscation:

1. There’s no “accepting quests” or managing log, you just do what’s needed while you’re in the area, which makes in-game sense and eases the burden enormously on the player
2. Almost every heart offers multiple routes to completion, some even letting you choose from 4 or more contributing tasks. You can stick to just one (allowing you to, for example, complete hearts 20 levels above yours by doing the non-combat task) or do a mix to complete the heart faster.
3. This may seem silly, but the fact that it’s an unmarked bar versus a “0/10” counter makes a big psychological impact for me. The farmer wouldn’t know exactly how many wasp’s nests you needed to stamp out until the infestation was cleared up.
4. No backtracking, no “turning the quest in,” no delay in the flow of gameplay to obtain your rewards
5. The fact that every heart becomes a karma vendor afterward provides a sense of tangible impact beyond “since I helped this NPC he now no longer has an icon above his head”

(edited by Hawkian.6580)

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

Only ones I don’t like are ones where players can end up in hostile situations due to ‘screwing it up’ for others, namely the dodge and especially the revive one.

Not because either of those are any harder than anything else, but just so we don’t need to worry about killing a mob that someone is trying to dodge, or preventing an npc from dying people wanted to ress.

One of the things I like about this game is there’s no real reason not to jump in to anything that’s going on, invited or not, whenever you feel like it. You aren’t stealing loot or exp etc which was a great design decision. The revive/dodge components of the daily set that a step back. Not a big deal but we’d be better off without it.

Posted by: fractalKinesis.8569

fractalKinesis.8569

Daily is easy and profitable. I have no problem with it at all.

Xiro, High Five Warriors [HFW], Jade Quarry

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I agree with your overarching point of course (only a fool would argue that the day-to-day actions you’re doing for a heart are different than a traditional MMO quest) but there are several aspects that help considerably with the obfuscation:

1. There’s no “accepting quests” or managing log, you just do what’s needed while you’re in the area, which makes in-game sense and eases the burden enormously on the player
2. Almost every heart offers multiple routes to completion, some even letting you choose from 4 or more contributing tasks. You can stick to just one (allowing you to, for example, complete hearts 20 levels above yours by doing the non-combat task) or do a mix to complete the heart faster.
3. No backtracking, no “turning the quest in,” no delay in the flow of gameplay to obtain your rewards
4. The fact that every heart becomes a karma vendor afterward provides a sense of tangible impact beyond “since I helped this NPC he now no longer has an icon above his head”

And these points are what make it different from your “typical” fetch quest to one I think is one done well. It can be argued to still be a fetch quest.

Personally, I don’t mind fetch quests for the sake of being fetch quests; if they have good writing about why you need to get it or why you need to get X item, take it to Y, get an item for it in exchange and then take that to Z? I’ll roll with it.

I don’t mind fetch quests which are a chain of events, such as getting one object as a favor to someone to get them to do something for another quest you have going. Interconnections make me happy, it pretends the world isn’t limited to a bunch of small one-off quests.

I do mind ones which are plain, simple, unadorned busywork. “Prove you’re capable of handling bigger tasks by bringing me ten orc scalps.” is on the edge of what I generally tolerate as adequate, and that quickly slides down if there’s nothing interesting following up.

And of course, randomized fetch quests which pop up from time to time (“Find me this random item today.”) annoy me in a few free games I play, or in open-ended games.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Danno.5269

Danno.5269

Pretty soon will be able to pick daily so i can suffer for a few more days. I just hate the daily aquatic slayer (don’t like underwater combat) and i really dislike gathering.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

You don’t need to go out of your way to complete the daily.

After playing the way I “normally” do, the dailies I still usually have to complete are: veterans, dodger, healer, aquatic slayer, laurel vendor, and sometimes events and kill variety. Most days, I do go somewhere specific just to finish my dailies.

Of course, other people have other experiences, but the point is that for some of us, a casual, normal playthrough isn’t usually enough to finish everything. It’s fine; it’s just the way it is for me.

thats why just giving dailies after x amount of xp gain is “the best solution for anet saying they want us to play the way we want”.

i dont think these dailies are the best solution to bring back people in the open world.

sure didnt do it for me.
i just end up tp at the same places to get it done.

lets see how new dailies and guild quest are going to improve this.
actually this “daily format” as is, stayed there for a month only, probably.

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

To be honest, I never really pay too much attention to them.
As I play they get filled up rather quickly.
The only two exceptions are healer and aquatic kills, but I’ll usually swing by Nageling for the first and go kill everything as I get clams or coral for the second.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

I hate both Daily Healer and Daily Veteran Slayer.

I was unable to complete my daily yesterday because it took me so long to trey finding some NPCs to rez that stupid thing turned over (For some reason the daily event resets at 7pm est on my server. Maybe I accidentally joined a EU server?)

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

Pretty soon will be able to pick daily so i can suffer for a few more days. I just hate the daily aquatic slayer (don’t like underwater combat) and i really dislike gathering.

Underwater critters count. Also, go look for vegetable farms.

Posted by: Afyael.1740

Afyael.1740

If doing the daily for you is a grind then I don’t think you really like the game that much. Yes the price may be steep, but if you really consider just playing the game then hunt for the last few things left before the daily resets a grind. Why do you even play? The daily is the same as it’s allways been pretty much, I even complete my daily some times now withouth even looking at it, unless it’s the crafting or Laurel part. And those two takes 1 minute to complete both.

It’s just annoying when you’re busy with stuff and sometimes you just can’t log in. I log in whenever I can and enjoy playing but sometimes I’m just so overloaded with work that I preferred the old system where I would miss a few dailies and all I miss out on are karma jugs. Now I feel forced to log in every day and rush the daily just so that I’m not being left behind. I’m all for rewarding players that are dedicated and play more than me with minor rewards but I wish they gave us other ways to get the ascended necklaces.

The Zaishen system in GW1 had it right, you could buy zkeys with coins (essentially laurels) you got from dailies but you could also buy them with balthazar faction/tourney reward points.

Posted by: Chaosgyro.6023

Chaosgyro.6023

Diessa Plateau, and other charr areas too, are great places to get the healer requirement. There’s always a lot of patrolling npc’s that get killed by local wildlife. I’m sure they’re around to help with the feeling of a “militarized zone” or some such.

For veteran kills I’d head to a little track of land south of the Decimus Stones waypoint in Plains of Ashford or the skill point cave in Wayfarer Foothill’s Solitude Vale. Both have 2-4 quick respawning vets, and aren’t in very high level areas either.

Posted by: ginzo.8792

ginzo.8792

every thread about these dailys asking is it fun all you get are the same folk telling you how easy it is.
They seem to missunderstand the question utterly. its asking are they FUN not are they difficult.
It’s like they are protective of them cos they are easy and are scared they get replaced by soemthing more difficult. So choose to ignore the aspect of " are these repetative chores fun"

or perhaps the folk who are so used to having to run around doing their chores in game are so mentally conditioned into thinking thats what games are about, they no longer grasp the concept of what FUN actually means.
after all if you find it acceptable that you are cohersed into doing chores in a game thats supposed to be nothing but a Fun passtime isnt that proof enough that your missing the point?

^
thats what i talked about earlier “fun”

but people dont really care here, its about rewards and getting it now.

Posted by: MrSilver.5269

MrSilver.5269

I think they should introduce new gear every 4 months that requires the completion of irrelevant daily/monthly tasks because that is not grindy. After all, ANet doesn’t make grindy games.

But I’m trying, Ringo. I’m trying real hard to be the shepherd.

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

The only problem with dailies is that it is currently the ONLY way to get laurels, now if we could get them by other means then the dailies would become less mandatory and more fun. Instead of logging in and playing and I m logging in to make sure I get my dailies, which is sadly bringing back memories of aion and fort defense.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

its a gear grind.
(albeit a very very good one!)

only UO got it right…

Tobias Trueflight.8350

every thread about these dailys asking is it fun all you get are the same folk telling you how easy it is.
They seem to missunderstand the question utterly. its asking are they FUN not are they difficult.
It’s like they are protective of them cos they are easy and are scared they get replaced by soemthing more difficult. So choose to ignore the aspect of " are these repetative chores fun"

or perhaps the folk who are so used to having to run around doing their chores in game are so mentally conditioned into thinking thats what games are about, they no longer grasp the concept of what FUN actually means.
after all if you find it acceptable that you are cohersed into doing chores in a game thats supposed to be nothing but a Fun passtime isnt that proof enough that your missing the point?

I find it entertaining. I said before here – I use the Daily Dodger now to try to figure out timing windows on attacks and push myself to dodge better rather than just tanking damage. I also use the karma from events for Jewelry Boxes now, since I didn’t see any of the temple armor that I really liked. Yet. I use the gathered materials to work on some crafting so I can supply weapons/armor for my alts myself rather than worry about finding it or buying it.

Is it exciting, awesome, overwhelming fun? No, but it serves a purpose for me. Is it boring and tedious as people here say it is? Not exactly, I find WvW far more tedious (Stormbluff Isle, whyyyyyy can’t you do better? ) and since that dropped out of the Monthly I’ve been there just to snag a couple quick events and run for a few iron nodes.

Oh, and a lot of times I do the bulk of them on my alts to play around with different classes, then finish them on my 80 character because the cash value is much better for it. 5 silver versus 1 silver?

So if that answers your question if I find it “fun” . . . no, if I wanted “fun” I’d go get plastered off vodka and try beating my family members at Risk again. Wait, no, I don’t find that fun either since I always am the first one out :P

Tobias Trueflight.8350

its a gear grind.
(albeit a very very good one!)

only UO got it right…

It is such a pity UO got other stuff very very wrong for me. FOR ME! I can’t PvP worth a crap and with UO’s famous gank teams roaming the wild near known rich ore veins? Yeah, I often wound up sighing and logging out as I lost yet more ingots to someone doing the UO equivalent of teabagging my corpse.

Posted by: LordGustoff.3752

LordGustoff.3752

I like the rotating dailies, and I look forward to when I will be able to pick and choose which ones I want to do. I don’t really like the laurels though… the idea is nice on paper but it’s just another currency I have to keep track of and would have rather had them use karma and have the items cost hundreds of thousands of karma (since karma is fairly easy to get). I am grateful at least that the new laurels aren’t a physical item.

If you did what they did, you would have what they have.
You have what you have because you do what you do.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

It’s just annoying when you’re busy with stuff and sometimes you just can’t log in. I log in whenever I can and enjoy playing but sometimes I’m just so overloaded with work that I preferred the old system where I would miss a few dailies and all I miss out on are karma jugs. Now I feel forced to log in every day and rush the daily just so that I’m not being left behind. I’m all for rewarding players that are dedicated and play more than me with minor rewards but I wish they gave us other ways to get the ascended necklaces.

The Zaishen system in GW1 had it right, you could buy zkeys with coins (essentially laurels) you got from dailies but you could also buy them with balthazar faction/tourney reward points.

Agree 100% on this. The only way to get ascended amulets is to do dailies/monthlies.

This is a gear grind, folks. I don’t care how easy or hard it is. You are required to log in a specific number of days and do specific tasks in order to get the best tier gear. I just want to play the game my way, like they said in the Manifesto. But no, I’m supposed to be spending my logged on time doing specific things so I can have gear with the best stats.

Gear grind. Saying it’t not a gear grind doesn’t change the fact that it is.

Posted by: lunarminx.3624

lunarminx.3624

We always appreciated gw2 for being fun and different from other mmos. But what is so fun about grinding dailies and monthlies for one ascended neck ? Especially when dailies are like this :
1. Daily Kills : Kill mosquitos, sparkflies .. job done in 2 min (In bloodtide coast) or any white mobs
2. Daily Dodger : Hit Ice wurm then avoid its stone balls … job done in 2 min. (in frostgorge sound)
3. Daily Healer : Now, this is annoying as hell. There are some places, where players let NPC die just to ress them back.. even in events. Instead of doing events or helping ally npcs… players are actually just waiting for them to die … wow lol
4. Daily Aquatic Kills : Salmon
5. Daily Events/veteran kills : WvWvW … no really … its really easy to kill veteran dolyaks/guards and get both dailies done easily.
6. Daily Crafting : I have no idea why people complained about it at first… it is the 2nd easiest daily in-game after finding laurel vendor, as you can get it done even by crafting low level items. For any crafter… especially chefs… its less than 1 min really
7. Daily Gatherer : I like it, but it really does not encourage to explore low level areas
8. Daily kill variety : Nothing wrong with it so far.
9. Daily Laurel Vendor : LAMEST THING EVER… Rename the daily to “Daily visit to Lions Arch”.

Guys, I just want you to know, I want this game to be more fun and exploring. At the moment, dailies do not offer anything interesting, except gear grind and people are doing it like crazy just for the ascended neck and infusions. It is getting a bit like other mmo dailies, where you do them even if you do not like them. I just want to know, do you really like the Dailies as it is ? Any constructive criticism will be appreciated.
Thank you

1. Daily Kills, should name specific mobs to kill and amount to combine kills and variety in one.
2. Gathering should name a specific too.
3.There is a Laurel Vendor in Divinity’s Reach BTW.
4. Crafting is no big deal.
5. Healing is no big deal.
6. I hate the dodging but really, it’s done in a few minutes.

It’s all boring, it gets done.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

I hate both Daily Healer and Daily Veteran Slayer.

I was unable to complete my daily yesterday because it took me so long to trey finding some NPCs to rez that stupid thing turned over (For some reason the daily event resets at 7pm est on my server. Maybe I accidentally joined a EU server?)

Nope, that is when it resets (I am est too on a NA server). It really is a crappy time.
Noon or midnight would make more sense and by server not one time for all and made inconvenient by what time zone you live in.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I actually like the daily a lot more as it is now. Before it was pointless unless you were farming karma and boring.

Having some variety is nice and if you really don’t like a particular task you can just skip it that day. Yes you’ll lose a laurel but it’s not the end of the world. (And I say that as someone with 7 laurels so far who’s saving for the 2 minis.)

If you don’t like the daily gatherer or events you’re a bit stuck, but if you’re not gathering materials and doing events anyway then you’re going to have a problem playing this game.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Nope.
All hearts can be completed by doing many different tasks they don’t force you to repeat the same stuff over and over, while kill 25 aquatic mobs can only be completed by killing 25 aquatic rats.

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

I love the new system, but one thing you guys are forgetting, pretty soon you’ll be able to choose which ones you want to do from a list, so those you might hate (like aquatic, for whatever reason even though it’s one of the easiest ones) you can choose not to do.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…