Does Anet play the game

Does Anet play the game

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

You’re totally wrong on it being a vocal minority, it’s a vocal majority, just look at the forums, most are posts about what people don’t like and what’s wrong with the game, and where they see the game headed. The people that stick up for Anet in these posts, look at their post histories, I have they LIVE IN THE FORUMS, they can’t possibly play the game with the amount of time they spend on these forums, some people who stick up for the DEV’s post in almost every single post on these forums, now how does someone like that spend quality time in game and find the time to post on the forums all day? I’ll tell you how, they are actually Anet employees posting under their own game accounts, just like the the Anet employee in this post said he plays on his own account, employees are posting in the forums on their own accounts to look like regular players.

I know this for a fact cause I was banned for calling one of them out and posting his name I will not say who but it happened and I got banned from the forums for it, it was a temp ban.

Hahahaha

You should ask Vayne to post a screenshot of his hours played.

PS I hope you realize it’s against forum rules to call out anyone, Anet or players.

Does Anet play the game

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

you used to see people marked as Anet around. I haven’t even heard of this happening in like 7 months. But even before that, the mods said they had one labeled account, and one non-labeled account, and never the two should be affiliated.

Does Anet play the game

Posted by: Zero.6082

Zero.6082

Agreed and remember for games like these it is fuelled by the players and the company needs to encourage people to do stuff instead of discourage people to do stuff. Makes a difference. I have friends quitting because they say the game won’t let them farm anymore to make money or the dungeons are becoming to annoying to play.

Be careful, I beat Skyrim and got everything in the game in only 60 hours. Beat it twice actually. I hold no ill will to that game and will buy the next one even though I don’t play it that much anymore. I am unsure about GW2 considering the fact that they discourage players from doing anything but PVP.

I would rather get everything in the game in a few weeks be satisfied, and buy the next one or next expansion then spend months getting nothing. I mean why would i buy a game that won’t let me get anything just to keep me coming back for false hope. Get rid of the RNG its bad and add rewarding gear. You will obtain more players and make people want to buy sequels. Otherwise you will bore everyone away and make ill will upon the name Anet.
That is why I ask if you play your own game cause I would want to know if you see the ill will that is created from mistakes. The community wants to tell you something and the last post I saw was the game direct can win pvp….. uh?

Does Anet play the game

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

sigh “The Community” is not necessarily represented on these forums. That’s not to say that forums are useless, but I’d think any devs who actually acted on most of the crap spouted in forums would be in real trouble.

In actual fact, only a very few regular forum users are usually worth listening to – those who do number crunching and have rational arguments. The rest is just junk – people looking at a whole game from their own myopikittentle corner, having tantrums because devs don’t listen to their special snowflake point of view.

Does Anet play the game

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

I definitely don’t think it’s asking too much for the people to make the game to have to be required to play it once in a while.

It would be like a chef who doesn’t even taste their food. How exactly are you supposed to know how to design a game that you don’t even play.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

Does Anet play the game

Ursan.7846

I definitely don’t think it’s asking too much for the people to make the game to have to be required to play it once in a while.

It would be like a chef who doesn’t even taste their food. How exactly are you supposed to know how to design a game that you don’t even play.

Just like how Beethoven was unable to create great music because he was deaf, right?

Oh wait…

Does Anet play the game

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

Just like how Beethoven was unable to create great music because he was deaf, right?

Oh wait…

Except, Beethoven went gradually deaf and people kept telling him how awesome his music was…

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Does Anet play the game

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

If you just died in PvP or WvW, it was probably me who killed you. GG!

3/10 … ^ he’s too Smile-Zoned to ever be seen as a pro Ganker
would be a lot more believable if Jon Peters had posted it instead

Does Anet play the game

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

Because using an example from 200 years ago is totally relevant, and besides, he could still feel his music’s rhythm.

The fanboy is strong with this one. Let’s just blindfold the devs while we’re at it.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

Does Anet play the game

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Oh wait…

I like read on the music forums that you need to like hear so like Beethoven can’t have written anything. Forums don’t lie man.

Does Anet play the game

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

There is another side to this. Developers that play the game extensively themselves sometimes engage in “pet peeve” design – making changes based solely on what they personally dislike (or enjoy) without regard for the fact that the game has to appeal to a wide spectrum of players. Adding things that they like is generally a lot less harmful than removing things they don’t like but that some of the population does (unless the things they like are given mechanical advantages over other options to make them the “right” choice).

Does Anet play the game

Ursan.7846

Except, Beethoven went gradually deaf and people kept telling him how awesome his music was…

Right. Beethoven gradually became completely deaf and yet still continued to create great works of music (The 9th symphony, I believe, was created in his later ages when he was completely deaf).

This is ignoring the fact that your point is pretty moot since Anet does play their game (as proven by many posts in this thread.)

And I hope you realize plenty of people still are “telling Anet how awesome their game is”," through the sheer existence of overflows, WvW quenes, and reports of strong Gem sales from NCSoft earnings reports.

EDIT: I apologize, as I seem to have misunderstood the original post. My understanding is, Dog isn’t stating that Anet is not playing the game, just stating that devs should play the game once in a while, which they definitely already do.

(edited by Ursan.7846)

Does Anet play the game

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

I see plenty of Anet people on SBI, though theyre not usually wearing the red Anet tag.

I dont think they get much/anything for free either, because I still remember listening to isaiah cartwright talk about how much money he spent converting gems into gold for a commander tag, and thinking I really shouldve used that as a jumping point to argue for account wide commander tags, but oh well.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

Does Anet play the game

Posted by: Pendragon.8735

Pendragon.8735

I’m sure they play, but I think there is an issue in that they don’t have dedicated developers consistently playing each profession.

They might dabble into them all at some points or another, to test things, but this isn’t good enough to establish a true undestanding of what needs to be done to keep everyone on even footing.

Does Anet play the game

Posted by: Seed.5467

Seed.5467

Has anyone ever seen some one from anet actually play the game. Most of the time they talk about what is in the best interest of us or what they think would be more fun. But it seems to be going in the wrong direction cause everyone keeps complaining. I all most wonder if they even play there own game. I mean i wonder if they are satisfied with how it turned out.

Does everyone think that Anet or NCsoft or who ever makes the decisions is creating better content that the gamer actually wants or just easy filler to appease people cause they promised they would give us new stuff?

Me personally, i haven´t saw anyone. Maybe because i am on EU. It would certainly be fun to pop into someone.

Bright.9160:

An Anet dev was spamming a POISON FIELD on a GATE. I’m not asking for them to know every class inside out (except for Izzy, but I’ll get to that), or to run the best builds there are, because that is not realistic. But not knowing that inanimate objects in your game don’t take condition damage is like a someone who designs cars jamming his keys in the CD slot and wondering why the car won’t start.

As i recall, every field has a radius ? So, it´s possible that he targeted the door, where there were players with Ramms in order to get the poisoning? Who knows

On a funny note however the walls on SM used to be very poisinous . Do not know Anet actually fixed it.

Regards

Seed

Attachments:

Does Anet play the game

Posted by: Rama.6439

Rama.6439

You’re totally wrong on it being a vocal minority, it’s a vocal majority, just look at the forums, most are posts about what people don’t like and what’s wrong with the game, and where they see the game headed. The people that stick up for Anet in these posts, look at their post histories, I have they LIVE IN THE FORUMS, they can’t possibly play the game with the amount of time they spend on these forums, some people who stick up for the DEV’s post in almost every single post on these forums, now how does someone like that spend quality time in game and find the time to post on the forums all day? I’ll tell you how, they are actually Anet employees posting under their own game accounts, just like the the Anet employee in this post said he plays on his own account, employees are posting in the forums on their own accounts to look like regular players.

I know this for a fact cause I was banned for calling one of them out and posting his name I will not say who but it happened and I got banned from the forums for it, it was a temp ban.

Hahahaha

You should ask Vayne to post a screenshot of his hours played.

PS I hope you realize it’s against forum rules to call out anyone, Anet or players.

Yes, I was banned for calling out a certain someone for that same thing cause they spend way to much time in the forums and seem to be in every single post I visit, so I checked their past posts and they had WAY TO MANY posts to be playing the game like they said they were.

But as far as Anet playing the game, I used to see Anet on back in the first several months after release, but since then haven’t seen them anymore, they are probably just as bored as most of us.

Arcubus Balefire – 80 Guardian
Välkyri – 80 Warrior
JQ[Lulz] – Kill fur Thrillz…

Does Anet play the game

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

It should comfortably drive at 100km/h if it’s a city car and 140km/h for any other car. 140km/h is already about highspeed limits in most of continental Europe. It is not necessary to design your car to drive faster, except if you market it to Germans (who don’t have speed limits).

They actually do have speed limits at some parts of the freeway. Most of them just don’t bother with them.

I know all too well. I drive through Germany on a daily basis. Loving it.

Back to the terrible analogy though, since you obviously missed my point: they designed a casual game for a big market (the comfi city cars you refer to), but failed to test them on the high way to see what happened (speed runners), which is why PvE is so broken right now. They are all like “I don’t know what you guys are talking about, my damage doesn’t look so OP”, because they run trash builds.

OK so you fix the trash builds, a.net should be on that. Sincerely hope this months update brings some big changes to conditions and warriors. Time’s up for me too. But the comfy car ain’t the problem, it’s the people chiptuning it.

You don’t ask a guy without a drivers permit and no experience driving cars to design a car for big masses.

True. You ask someone from the target public, who, on average, don’t chiptune their car, don’t go speeding and stay off the German highways for the most part.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Does Anet play the game

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Indeed I do tend to post between phone calls. It’s a relaxing break to talk to fellow gamers given the nature of my job. However I do not work for A.net. That’s too much credit. Thanks for the compliment though.

You’ll notice though, that my posts are usually spread in a 10 hour windows (I work 7 to 6) and almost never in the weekends. When I’m not posting, I’m either playing GW2, sleeping or doing other RL stuff.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Does Anet play the game

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Has anyone ever seen some one from anet actually play the game. Most of the time they talk about what is in the best interest of us or what they think would be more fun. But it seems to be going in the wrong direction cause everyone keeps complaining. I all most wonder if they even play there own game. I mean i wonder if they are satisfied with how it turned out.

Does everyone think that Anet or NCsoft or who ever makes the decisions is creating better content that the gamer actually wants or just easy filler to appease people cause they promised they would give us new stuff?

Are you freakin’ kidding me?! They do a 30min-1hr Live Stream every Friday of them playing the game. (Check their YouTube channel).

Most of the devs are members of the same guild on SBI server. I’ve played with a few in Dynamic Events, sPvP, and WvW when that server was my home.

As for people “keep complaining”, that’s because they’re a very vocal minority. You cannot please all the people, all of the time; you can please some of the people, most of the time. And right now, what they’re doing as far as the direction of the game and what’s “fun”, I think it’s brilliant.

Accusing someone of being an Anet employee is accusing them of lying. You can check my achievement points (over 8000 now) which I didn’t get by not playing the game. Clearly you think that no one can put 2-3 hours into the forums a day and still play the game for 5-6 hours a day. Clearly that’s incorrect.

And getting banned for calling someone an Anet employee doesn’t prove anything. Hell, if you make enough personal attacks on people you’re bound to get banned.

Are you really surprised the way you come off that the mods reacted?

Does Anet play the game

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

sigh “The Community” is not necessarily represented on these forums. That’s not to say that forums are useless, but I’d think any devs who actually acted on most of the crap spouted in forums would be in real trouble.

In actual fact, only a very few regular forum users are usually worth listening to – those who do number crunching and have rational arguments. The rest is just junk – people looking at a whole game from their own myopikittentle corner, having tantrums because devs don’t listen to their special snowflake point of view.

Doesn’t mean that some of the arguments are wrong just because they don’t have math to back it up. Perception in the customer service world is everything, remember that.

If the game is perceived as being lopsided, unfair, or grindy, than they have to treat those reports as serious because it is a product after all whether other players agree with these people or not.

I know they play their game. But do they have enough people playing the classes with the most trouble in the live environment to see the problems? Do they have enough people playing the most OP class in that same environment to see why people are complaining about the PVE imbalance in the builds that people are complaining about? Do they play doing the things that the players have done who have experienced these problems not necessarily on their own accounts but on their test accounts?

For example, how many Dev builds in PVE are condition damage builds who play the three weakest classes in the game? That’s the question of the day imo. How many are playing support roles in dungeons?

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Does Anet play the game

Posted by: Black Teagan.9215

Black Teagan.9215

That will I see.

Caleb Ferendir
-Charr Thief-
It’s good to be bad!

Does Anet play the game

Posted by: ditchy.8792

ditchy.8792

I think i killed one of em at EBG’s JP. he represents GoM server at that time.
It’s fun to have a quality battle with A.net staff. TBH A.net icon above his head gave me goose bumps before the battle. Lol

Blood Jelly (Necromancer) – Bloody Furball. (Guardian) – Bloody Pumpkin (Elementalist)
Regnum Ascalon[RegA] – Devona’s Rest

Does Anet play the game

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

I want an Arena.net team to do lvl 48 FotM Dredge level without a guardian..
And then post their experience..

Does Anet play the game

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

I want an Arena.net team to do lvl 48 FotM Dredge level without a guardian..
And then post their experience..

They’d probably spam blind and get wrecked.

I’d also like them to do the bomb part, not the turrets. Just so they can see how ridiculous the respawn rate and aggro range of the dredge on the stairs are. I mean, we kill them in under 2 seconds on our teams, yet we don’t kill them fast enough to enable us to run by, because they respawn almost instantly.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Does Anet play the game

Posted by: Genophix.3098

Genophix.3098

That’s not fair Colin, you can’t count turning the server off as a win