Does anyone actually want a Season 3?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

So OP in answer to your question, it seems like a lot of people do want Season 3. Including me.

A post full of negative opinions…

“The opinions expressed in this thread are those of the vocal minority.”

Only 1% of the players post in the forums, so in the end everything posted here is the opinion of a minority.

Source ( in german ) :
https://forum-de.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mehr-Transparenz-beim-Runden-Tisch/416077

He also mentions a round table to the statistics, where views are often parallel to guildmates even if not all of them participate in the forum. The post is in better defense of in-game surveys rather than anything indicative of majority/minority opinion.

But, you know, way to be disingenuous with your presentation.

This is typically how i view game forums in general. While there are several solo players that don’t participate in discussions in the game or out of it, a ton of feedback and feelings about the game for me come from a pretty large base of players.

On topic though, I’m pretty impartial to LW3 being a thing. I’d certainly like to see them get their ducks in a row and go on a bug/QoL/update spree, over anything else though.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

I’ve not been as happy as others with LS 2. In LS 1, I reserved judgement until the final chapter, which was heavily hyped. I really hoped that they’d tie everything together and give us closure on that story before moving on to the next. Now they have been hyping LS 2 ending, but I’m not fooled twice. Based on what I’ve seen of LS 2, I have low expectations of its ending and any thing produced for LS 3.

Hey, at least they should be able to go up from here.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Short answer is no. I’ve never been a fan of drip fead content. I would much rather a full blown add on to the game. I’m happy that they have made the LS perminant, but the fact is messes with exsisting maps annoys me to no end. Don’t get me wrong, I e enjoyed bits of the LS2. But the story is moving so slowly and the main story is over very quickly.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

While the active forum community is obviously of different opinion. we dont know what other groups want, especially fairly new and future players.
Nobody seems to take their opinion into account here, except Anet.

And they are the ones that have a better picture of how to design future features and content for them.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Conner.5803

Conner.5803

Season 3 would be ok with much more regular updates and content. If it’s like the current one, this game will die from lack of content.

The current one brought 2 new maps, new types of enemies, 2 new armor sets, 2 types of currencies, the Skritt holes to move around the map, and other stuff. Free. How is this lack of content???? Just stop.

And is this the type of content people have been asking for years now? Anet can pump out tons of content in a year, but if it keeps on being the same type of content over and over again that just doesn’t even change the way the game can be played even slightly people will get bored with it real quick. The 2 maps you speak off are only grind fest, the majority of the new type of enemies are only available in those particular maps, the 2 armor sets are only skins that have no additional value and I just can’t see what’s positive about having even more currencies. Skritt holes to move around the map? How is this considered content?

Yes it may be free (for the people who log on during the updates), but the quality of these content are really sub-par to what the people actually want.

Posted by: L Step.8659

L Step.8659

No. The Living Story has bad pacing, doesn’t feel living at all, is usually the same grindy achievements reworded/disguised, and people go through the content as fast as possible so they can get away from it. The maps and events will end up being dead for people getting to the content later.

Would prefer a traditional expansion – it helps fund the game, and seems easier to introduce new regions/races/whatever than the living story does, ofc that could just be the writing that makes the living story seem so out of place from that perspective.

Still hoping for Tengu race too. :’(

ReRolled [Re] GvG Hero/Wannabe

Best NA rallybot on EU

(edited by L Step.8659)

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Season 3 would be ok with much more regular updates and content. If it’s like the current one, this game will die from lack of content.

The current one brought 2 new maps, new types of enemies, 2 new armor sets, 2 types of currencies, the Skritt holes to move around the map, and other stuff. Free. How is this lack of content???? Just stop.

And is this the type of content people have been asking for years now? Anet can pump out tons of content in a year, but if it keeps on being the same type of content over and over again that just doesn’t even change the way the game can be played even slightly people will get bored with it real quick. The 2 maps you speak off are only grind fest, the majority of the new type of enemies are only available in those particular maps, the 2 armor sets are only skins that have no additional value and I just can’t see what’s positive about having even more currencies. Skritt holes to move around the map? How is this considered content?

Yes it may be free (for the people who log on during the updates), but the quality of these content are really sub-par to what the people actually want.

That’s just like your opinion, man…

Posted by: Kurrilino.2706

Kurrilino.2706

So what is the supposed difference, since you’ve suddenly graduated to a professor of linguistics to defend your moot point?

Actually is an adverb, modifying in this case, the verb want. He’s not asking if anyone wants a Season Three. he’s asking if they “actually” want it.[/quote]

lol… Vayne
being in top form after holidays ????

This is exactly why people think you are someone from A-Net.
Someone comes with a legit request or opinion and it will be drowned in semantics.

Despite speaking 5 languages i have to admit that english isn’t my native tongue.
But i still catch the OP’s message that he is not happy with LS 1 and 2 and asks that if someone else is interested in a 3rd part if it includes the same dull and weak stuff.

How difficult can it be ?

Actually this topic can be closed right now because all of us know where this will lead.
The future discussions will be like………

What do you actually mean by LS2…… do you mean the actual LS2 or the 2nd chapter of LS2. Or even the 2nd LS after LS1 or after LS2 what would be LS4….. all this has to be cleared out before we even continue talking about game content.

After 83 pages the “A-Net Tag” comes in:

Dear Op we totally understand your desire of new and fresh content.
I just came out of a meeting and and got a hint that we add 3 trees to the swamp in Queensdale and removed 5 ambients.
Our graphics team also replaced the dye “Teal” with “Apple Green”.
We are totally excited about these ground breaking news and also want to point out
that it wouldn’t be possible without all your players input….

OP: ………. wait what ?? I was asking for content………..

White Knights: We totally told you… all this waiting was worth it. We always told you something big is brewing.

Trolls: LOL…….. this is insulting.

OP: but.. but … but…… all this was not my issue i just wanted to play more GW2

White Knights: This is exactly what you have been asking for

Forum: 273 bans …. topic moved to page 426

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

I want a season 1 for PvP.

:)

o.O

:(

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: bahanwoodcarver.6071

bahanwoodcarver.6071

Hello !

Yep, I would like a LW season 3. I had quite fun with the season 2, allowing me to progress at my own pace. I also enjoyed the season 1 because we had a lot of fun in various adventures :-).

As a note, I also really hope to see more of the maguuma jungle and a new race. As I created one character per race per profession, in the current situation , I cannot play necro or ranger or mesmer, so I really hope new races soon, to be able to play these professions.

In fact, I just want more new adventures :-).

Best regards.

Bahan

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Kurrilino is my new hero. +1 for you.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

I most definitely want a season 3. I also want an expansion. Sorry Anet am Greedy okey

But anyhow joking aside pretty sure thats what we’re getting anyway. Arenanet have been extremely clever in my opinion. They know one of the big issues why so many MMOs loose in popularity is because expansions just take too long to complete. Biweekly content keeps people engaged and coming back.

Its a sound strategy people just need to see it to believe it. I am hoping January will be the month. They hinted Season 2 would end with something big and dont see us just facing and defeating an elder dragon in 1 last episode. my theory is the end will just set things up for the expansion that will include the personal story that ends in the actual battle much like they did with zaithan.

But we’ll see only 2 weeks for the last episode now and maybe 2 weeks max for the announcement.. if one is coming.

Fingers crossed

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

If Vayne’s the white knight, can I be Batman?

I don’t know why Anet allows the use of the term “White Knight” It’s an exclusively derogatory term in the context of this forum and adds nothing to the conversation.

CMM.6712

If Vayne’s the white knight, can I be Batman?

I don’t know why Anet allows the use of the term “White Knight” It’s an exclusively derogatory term in the context of this forum and adds nothing to the conversation.

Completely agree, I don’t understand why the off topic personal attacks are allowed. Typically they come from posters who never have anything positive or constructive to say. The little jabs everywhere are just ridiculous and I think those should also be moderated.

On topic: looking forward to the next episode of LS. I am also looking forward to April to see what it brings.

Posted by: Eric.6109

Eric.6109

I do. The LS in itself isn’t bad.

a.net: I will not be buying gems with cash until you fix traits.

Posted by: Reanne.5462

Reanne.5462

lol… Vayne

Someone comes with a legit request or opinion and it will be drowned in semantics.

Despite speaking 5 languages i have to admit that english isn’t my native tongue.
But i still catch the OP’s message that he is not happy with LS 1 and 2 and asks that if someone else is interested in a 3rd part if it includes the same dull and weak stuff.

Actually this topic can be closed right now because all of us know where this will lead.

What do you actually mean by LS2…… do you mean the actual LS2 or the 2nd chapter of LS2. Or even the 2nd LS after LS1 or after LS2 what would be LS4….. all this has to be cleared out before we even continue talking about game content.

I just came out of a meeting and and got a hint that we add 3 trees to the swamp in Queensdale and removed 5 ambients.
We are totally excited about these ground breaking news and also want to point out

White Knights: We totally told you… all this waiting was worth it. We always told you something big is brewing.

[/quote]

I said it before, and the (sentence adjusted to ensure what happened before doesnt happen again… so I will say it again. YOU are awesome. +1

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

not interested, story is not for MMOs, good gameplay and replayable content is, if we can get these fine

Story is not for MMOs? Dude, have you ever played an mmo?

Serious question time. You seem unaware of how major a factor story and lore are in… Well… About all of them.

Important to you? Clearly not.

I’ll risk speculating that it matters to most, and that that majority is a big one.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

So what is the supposed difference, since you’ve suddenly graduated to a professor of linguistics to defend your moot point?

Actually is an adverb, modifying in this case, the verb want. He’s not asking if anyone wants a Season Three. he’s asking if they “actually” want it.

Incorrectly quoted, or terribly edited by moderation. Either way, in response to the adverb modifier, I fail to see how actually or really hold any difference in connotation. Unless I just didn’t understand the quoted portion, although I’m pretty sure I did.

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

“Does anyone actually want a Season 3?”

I don’t, I rather Anet just do a eComic accessed maybe through our personal home instance library (more room to tell a story and show off that great art style) throughout the year that leads to a real expansion worth of content that LS has proven it can’t provide. Anet quarterly reports should give a pretty good idea, time will tell.

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

So, at the core, this seems to be another thread about an expansion. Please post any original thoughts you may have on that subject in the designated thread.

If you’d like to discuss Season 3 of the Living World, you’re free to post here.

Thank you.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

I’m actually looking forward to the next season. Really enjoyed S2 so far – I don’t think we’re quite there yet but the story experience has improved drastically since S1 and release. Just hoping for side-quests to start appearing, personally.

I’m not convinced of the need for an “expansion” to replace S3 since they’re basically different sizes of the same thing. There’s no reason S3 or S4 etc. can’t introduce new races, classes, continents or whatever – either way it’ll take the same amount of development time to make them, just with a different delivery method.

And then if we have to pay extra to unlock a new race, class, etc. – so be it. There’s no downside to having a Season 3 unless you really don’t want new story content.

Posted by: Goose.8195

Goose.8195

I’ve enjoyed the Living Story season 2. I left the game because I disliked season 1 so much, but I’m really glad I came back for 2. I would like to see Season 3 knock our expectations out of the park though, even if that only means a LS update every month or 2. With some high-quality updates I will no doubt continue playing this game well into 2015 and beyond.

[BBN] Big and Beautiful Norns
You dont have to be one to love one.

Ben K.6238

Do you know how much development time is required to make new content for GW2? What technical requirements must be met in each version? Translation etc. for localization? And how many staff are on each team?

Without actually knowing what their personnel can produce in ideal circumstances it’s a bit presumptuous to call them “lazy”.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Um . . . let’s stick to the topic, shall we?

Personally, I hope Season 3 takes a while. I want Season 2 to completely encompass everything about Morty and his eventual defeat. Kind of like Scarlet. I really enjoyed the ending and aftermath of that.

I want Season 3 to emphasize a new threat or conflict . . . Jormag,

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Uh yes, ofc?

As far as improvements I’d like to see:

• Less~no downtime between patches. I’m fine with 8 episodes or so only, but I’d prefer them to actually come back-to-back over 4 months, then ~1 months break for a feature patch with balance changes and some UI stuff and so on, then next season.
  • Better support for grouped story playthroughs.
  • More ingame rewards. The last few patches have been good here, keep it up.
  • More events in the world change and adapt. The world shouldn’t be as static. This should also apply to dungeons. Whenever possible, have living story permanently change parts of the world.
  • A proper tutorial system for the new zone mechanics. My dad picked up GW2 , and I noticed this is something those zones lack – they never explain what’s special about them. Not a big issue ofc, easily explained, but there’s tutorials ingame, just add a few for the new zones.
  • Please please please please make living story affect WvW. I’m fine with sPvP being that weird little sidegame some weird people play which has nothing at all to do with the rest of the game, but WvW was always hyped as this integral part of GW2. Make it that! Make Living Story require WvW. OTOH, make engaging with the living story’s elements non-optional for WvW. Maybe mordremoth’s vines grow all over the zones, breaking apart walls entirely at times leaving former defensive areas no better than camps? Shutting down parts of the zone? Spawning events which allow to recruit NPCs to crush keeps for you, but you have to complete those pre-events without getting backstabbed first? Anything, really.

Other than that, sure, another season please.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Not yet.

I want the current season to end, then I want an expansion. Leave the current storyline behind on a real cliffhanger, and then move the fight to the great Crystal dragon and the Crystal Desert. HUGE story where we take the fight to the dragon and bring it down, then two new seasons of LS (Seasons 3 and 4) where Palawa Joko starts to make his presence felt as we start to venture into Elona. Season 4 would, again, end in a cliffhanger.

Then repeat this pattern throughout the world, killing off dragons but leaving huge, unresolved plot lines that are NEVER resolved, even when the game finally ends.

There will be no Guild Wars 3.

::laughs evilly::

((Okay, but seriously, I want some of both.))

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Ben K.6238

WvW players do not at all appreciate things in WvW getting broken by LS updates, however. It might be more appealing if anything else got fixed there to begin with – it’s the same maps with largely the same mechanics as were present at launch, so it’s getting a bit stale. Throwing in something they didn’t ask for will probably be taken as an insult.

Carighan.6758

then I want an expansion. Leave the current storyline behind on a real cliffhanger, and then move the fight to the great Crystal dragon and the Crystal Desert. HUGE story where we take the fight to the dragon and bring it down

What I find curious about that is why does it have to be an expansion.
From the way I read it, you mostly want more content, right? But you assume that if this happens, it has to happen in one huge pack, boxed. Right?

Only the thing is: If ANet could produce this much content, why would they not already have done that? Meaning why wouldn’t LS releases come out 25 times a year and be pretty large individually?
Assuming they aren’t quietly intentionally bleeding players while having 75%+ of their people work on something behind the scenes (then they need a new management, really badly :P ), we can assume the current dev speed is all we’ll get.

In other words, such a “huge storyline” would take 2-3 YEARS of no other updates to produce. I’m not sure that’s what you had in mind, and that’s my problem with many of these “I want an expansion”-posts.

The issue is raw development speed.
Not how you package the developed content.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

This was something recently talked about in the guild im in and frankly the answer was a resounding yes.

However, what we all noted was that instead of Bi-weekly updates (relative to holidays) we’d rather see monthly updates so that the story can contain more, and more polished works, as well as not leave us with gaps depending on “holidays”. This also would allow the Anet team to incorporate the story and festivals into monthly achievements (or would have if they had not deleted monthlies).

Realistically though the only issue i have with season, and story is the pace at which it is delivered and how quickly you can play through it. I would love to see longer chapters story wise with smaller instances in between for combat. So instead of having 3 medium sized instances we have 10-12 smaller ones that would allow for more re-play value and achievement management. Less reliance on “challenge motes” which are buggy and ultimately the ability to push the story in a more fluid direction that doesn’t always end on massive cliff hangers.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’d also like to see more effect on events in the persistent world. The changes to Kessex come to mind.

I remember that ANet added something like 30 events to the PvE world sometime within the first few months after launch. Irrc, one of the devs involved commented that players did not even seem to notice. I wonder, though, if the reaction would be the same now. Personally, I hadn’t come close to seeing every event that was in at launch at that time, so I had no way of knowing what if an event was new or if I’d just missed it before. I’d have to say that, two years later, I’ve seen most events at least once.

Carighan.6758

Irrc, one of the devs involved commented that players did not even seem to notice.

I also fail to see how your changes being so organic people don’t even consciously notice is a bad thing.

I mean, consider if every patch changes a dozen events. Consider that individually, like moving your colleague’s desk by half a millimeter, this is pretty much unnoticeable.
Yet a year later, you all of a sudden stop and realize “Wait, this all used to be totally different a year ago, wasn’t it?!” and start to ask in guild chat, players realizing that wow, tons and tons of events must have changed, there’s entirely different chains and stories now. Much like your colleague is wondering why he’s sitting on the other end of the room.

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

I would like to see if Arenanet is able to deliver more world via Living World beside the story. During Season 2 the focus was mainly on the story. This is plausible when we keep in mind that only a small team is working on the current season and there was still the need to test and optimise the concept with the story journal. The current LW team does an impressive job with the design of maps and events in addition to the core story (instances). But I see very clearly the limits the team has in the form extended breaks and episodes that feel like over-stretched fillers.

For Season 3 I would love to see that more teams work and design for the LW concept and deliver the content that the story can ship. If I would brainstorm I would Rytlock let to bring us a mighty artifact from the mists: a weapon your class is not able to use at the moment. The player would have to take lesson to master the new weapon. Rox is teaching Jory to use a greatsword. Rox could also teach all necromancers with a final examination in a story instance. Could be an episode with not much story but a lot of content in form of a new weapon for each class and the possibility to think about new builds.

I would love to see bigger maps as part of Season 3 and the introduction of new skill taught by new NPCs we will meet in future story arcs. With more teams working on LW this would be “very easy” to realise. There would be so much possibilities to expand the world of GW2 in more or less “real time”. I hope Arenanet will catch the chance the LW offers instead of let it escape.

(edited by Belenwyn.8674)

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

I just want to point out that factions and nightfall were standalone games, much bigger than a typical expansion, and anet produced those in 12 months each with less staff than they have now…

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

To be honest, I’m on the fence about wanting a Season 3.

It feels like the quality and quantity of LW updates doesn’t go on par to the quality and quantity expected of expansions over the same period of time. We’ve passed 2.25 of GW2’s lifespan, and what do we have to show for it?

So I’m not sure if the concept of the Living World can produce as much as a company could produce in more traditional concepts.

This all depends on how much is going on in the background, and I am considering all non-holiday updates (feature batches, WvW seasons) and not just the Living World updates themselves – and I am including what as been removed as well.

Ideally, I think the game should use a mixture of Living World and expansion – with the Living World being rather than an update every 2 weeks for 3-4 number of updates before a break, rather be 1 larger update every few months (e.g., we got E1-4 at one go and E5-8 in one go for Season 2), and then every 3-4 large updates we get an expansion instead of a large update. If such, or something similar, is possible while not reducing quality and quantity of the updates, then yes I’d like a Season 3.

But if ArenaNet is incapable of a mixed usage while maintaining the quality and quantity, then I’d rather have expansions instead of the Living World to be perfectly honest.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

CMM.6712

I just want to point out that factions and nightfall were standalone games, much bigger than a typical expansion, and anet produced those in 12 months each with less staff than they have now…

Completely different games. This comparison has been made several times and I do not feel it as valid. I have to say I would love to see a Factions and a Nightfall GW2 style though!

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

I’d like an expansion with new classes etc. The only thing I’ve enjoyed from Living Story so far was the Molten Facility dungeon. That was pretty much it.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Posted by: Pino.5209

Pino.5209

No to Season 3 LS.
LS is a cheap distraction content with close to zero replay value. The game at this stage feels stale and old. GW2 needs a proper expansion contents.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Do I want more content?

Sure.

Do I want it in the same form it has been delivered to us this far ( aka Seasons) – thus meaning season 3?

No.

Why? Because the pace is too slow.

I would rather wait half a year and have a few days’ worth of content in a bigger patch/whatever you want to call it than have 1 or 2 hours of fun progressing through a story every 2 weeks.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

Do I want more content?

Sure.

Do I want it in the same form it has been delivered to us this far ( aka Seasons) – thus meaning season 3?

No.

Why? Because the pace is too slow.

I would rather wait half a year and have a few days’ worth of content in a bigger patch/whatever you want to call it than have 1 or 2 hours of fun progressing through a story every 2 weeks.

I guess you can never truly make everyone happy. At least they are making an effort.

You can always wait for the season to be over and then play it all at once. I’ve barely touched Season 2 and I have a lot to catch up on.

Sorrow’s Furnace US

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

“Big background patch that we cant yet talk about it” – that is for me expansion worth of content.I dont care will they call it “expansion” or just some feature patch with LS but content is on its way.

Posted by: Shinobi.3240

Shinobi.3240

Actually is an adverb, modifying in this case, the verb want. He’s not asking if anyone wants a Season Three. he’s asking if they “actually” want it.

lol… Vayne

[/quote]

I laughed so much about this. Thank you! +1

Best Regards!

Shinobi Sicarius [ Thief / Lvl: 80 / PvP Rank: 250+]
[5/8 Champion Titles – Legendary Division] [19k+ AP]
[BEER – Dungeon Riders – Desolation]

Posted by: Nidarrock.5692

Nidarrock.5692

Yup. I would definitely like a Season 3, or an expansion. Heck, if Season 3 offered more content per episode, I’d pay for each one. But that is a debate for another day. Despite a some gripes with the LW model I like having a stream of story being brought our way.

Please, in Season 3, can I hear my character speak again… and not how I can outrun a centaur. As I play through the personal story on other characters I’ve noticed how much I miss the old talking sections.

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

not interested, story is not for MMOs, good gameplay and replayable content is, if we can get these fine

Story is not for MMOs? Dude, have you ever played an mmo?

Serious question time. You seem unaware of how major a factor story and lore are in… Well… About all of them.

Important to you? Clearly not.

I’ll risk speculating that it matters to most, and that that majority is a big one.

No, he is more or less correct. Replayability and Gameplay are far more important to a MMO than story ever has been. Heck MMO’s roots are all about creating a game that players play for a very long time in order to keep them paying a subscription. Why do you think MMO’s have drifted towards F2P? MMO’s have started focusing on stories instead of good gameplay and replayability, thus players don’t want to pay a monthly subscription for something they won’t be playing in a month. SWTOR is a prime example of story not sustaining a MMO. They focused so much on story and the rest of the game was generic, boring, and soulless. They had to scramble to flip that game to F2P because the loss of players was so bad. The best part of that was that I had called that they day they said they were focusing on the story pillar and doing full VO.

Story isn’t bad, it simply doesn’t sustain a MMO. Story is always finite and players will complete it way faster than devs can produce it. You need good gameplay and mechanics to sustain the game in order for the devs to produce more story/content. GW2 after 2 years is sorely lacking in good gameplay and most certainly in mechanics. If anything the continual dumbing down of things is making things worse than they were at launch. If ArenaNet continues to add LS3 without adding any depth to the game then it’s a sad end for GW2. We’ve already seen the effects focusing on LS has on the game and it’s not great; WvW is struggling to stay alive, SPvP is a joke, and dungeons are a ghost of opportunity lost. GW2’s remaining lifespan is basically until another AAA F2P/B2P MMO releases, I’m guessing EQNext.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

If ArenaNet continues to add LS3 without adding any depth to the game then it’s a sad end for GW2.

I’d wager a fair amount of money you are wrong about that. GW2 is doing very well as far as MMO’s go these days, despite the decided air of pure, deluded pessimism you’ll find on the forums, to which you appear to subscribe.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I wouldn’t want new classes or weapon sets; gotta balance the ones we have. New skills yes, and why the heck aren’t their guild halls and jeweler 500 in the making?

As for wanting a season 3, yes. I’ve found season 2 to be a decent distraction, and haven’t even worked on the most recent two chapters yet.

So because you don’t think the pvp is balanced, everyone else should be denied new content? Thats pretty selfish. I might as well say I don’t want new races because it could interfere with the lore of the Universe or that I don’t want new zones because I don’t want a thin playerbase. Its not different.

I said like nothing about pvp. (Hello, I have less than 20 games of that, 4 of which were used to get dailies yesterday, but you know what they say what happens when you assume) Perhaps you should learn to read; it’s pretty selfish when you can’t and you’re replying. And not wanting content before the current content is fixed to a certain quality level is not the same thing about denying everyone content. Unless you think that releasing crappy, poorly tested and tuned content while the current content remains as such is to not deny people new content. Of course, that would just be a silly strawman of your point, and I wouldn’t resort to the same stuff you are.

Please don’t speak for this so called “everyone” to project your opinion. It’s pretty selfish.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Old topic, there are dozens of it. But yes, I want an expansion and no ‘aweseome LS which bring the same content like an expansion’. People want something to do and for an MMO there isn’t much to do for most players who played for 1-2 years.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Hey, so this thread devolved quickly from loaded question to “White knight trap” where anyone who points out the loaded question is labeled and shoved into a bin.

I gave my answer earlier, but I think I’ll change it. I want nothing from this game, but I’ll accept whatever they give me. Or not. I still have a Minecraft account.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Harry.2184

Harry.2184

Of course I want a Season 3!

There have been many who do not like the whole Living Story portion of the game, I do… along with others. It is something new, it gives us things to do…

I understand that there is no pleasing everyone, but I enjoy the Living Stories. Maybe not so much the avid pausing they have done through-out season 2, but, I do enjoy the material they release, I find it interesting….

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Irrc, one of the devs involved commented that players did not even seem to notice.

I also fail to see how your changes being so organic people don’t even consciously notice is a bad thing.

I mean, consider if every patch changes a dozen events. Consider that individually, like moving your colleague’s desk by half a millimeter, this is pretty much unnoticeable.
Yet a year later, you all of a sudden stop and realize “Wait, this all used to be totally different a year ago, wasn’t it?!” and start to ask in guild chat, players realizing that wow, tons and tons of events must have changed, there’s entirely different chains and stories now. Much like your colleague is wondering why he’s sitting on the other end of the room.

Good point.

But…

People say that ANet pays no attention to what players say (or don’t say, in this case).

Posted by: Mikali.9651

Mikali.9651

Good point.

But…

People say that ANet pays no attention to what players say (or don’t say, in this case).

The problem is, all this feels like RPG game, getting patches and modes for it.

There is nothing mmorpg in this LS, thats the problem.
In mmorpg you team up with others, you are the one who is in journey and you are the hero, you are central figure who gets help from others.
Not just some bystander.

LS story is all fine and well, but that isnt mmorpg, its rpg. That is why I dont enjoy it.
I wanna play with OTHERS, not cuz I’m lonely, but cuz I have to! Cuz it’s hard content for just one player.

You know, to feel like Im playing with players, and not just NPCs.

This game is such NPCS+AI Wars 2.
Seriously, too many ai in classes, too many npcs in pve.