Dolyak Express Jan 10, 2014

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Gonna chime in, in the interest of winnowing out known answers:

Asura are mammals, as stated in a forum post in GW2Guru, I believe, where a dev expressed shock at coming across fanfic of asura laying eggs. Not that I would mind any tidbits about asura (or any other race’s) biology!

Humans aren’t native to Tyria, the planet. They appeared on Tyria the continent and Elona in 205 A.E., and Cantha much earlier in 786 B.E. Where they were before then is a mystery, but human history claims that their gods brought them to this world from somewhere across the Mists. It’s also interesting to note that the timeline says in all three cases that humans “appear” on the given continent, not arrive. An unconventional, maybe magical, means of translocation perhaps?

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

Posted by: sAdam.5876

sAdam.5876

Question: Braham’s surname.
That moody Norn introduced himself as Braham Eirsson which could be translated into Braham son of Eir. But as we all know he and Eir are not on best of terms. He himself stated that:
“You’ve probably heard of my mother. She’s a famous hero, a member of Destiny’s Edge. Eir Stegalkin. I’m not bragging, mind you. I take after my father”.
I’m curious whatever there is more into choosing that family name, instead of his father’s who was also hero of Norns.

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

Question 1: How are imprison sorcerers ? I think steel bars aren’t enough to prevent a magic escape.

Question 2: Trahearne said that “[his] necromantic servants have never been alive; thus, they are immune to the ravages of Orr.” If minions aren’t made of flesh, from where did they come ?

(edited by Kulvar.1239)

Posted by: captaincrash.6528

captaincrash.6528

Unsure if I should update my old post for a new question or make a new one so here’s comment #2

What was the reasoning behind the currency change? Humans 250 years ago were trading Platinum as their premium currency, with gold being their equivalent of cents. With the multiculturalism going on now, was this brought on to make it easier for all races to trade? The only race that this could be pinned on is the Charr, since Asura and Norn vendors in Eye of the North traded platinum, and Sylvari are far too young to have influenced such a change (in my eyes).

Crash ~ Charr Reaper

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Gonna emulate captaincrash and draw inspiration from Kulvar:

Is there anything you can tell us about fleshreavers? How intelligent they are, how they ended up in their current locations, or at least why they appear out of portals to the Underworld?

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

Posted by: Errannar.8263

Errannar.8263

Question 1: It is speculated champions have the role of preparing the coming of their masters by gathering magical energy from corrupting/creating minions. Thus, once the Great Destroyer was… destroyed, we hindered Primordus coming.
Question 2: No, the defeat of the Great Destroyer didn’t affect the awakening of any other Elder Dragon.
Question 3: He has yet not awoken, but his magical energy might be already affecting Tyria; as happened with Jormag’s back in Eye of the North.

Thank you for the answers. I guess I should’ve looked at the dragon champions entry on the wiki as well. Specifically the part mentioning the Nornbear.

Still, I can’t help but notice that there’s approximately 50 years between every awakening of an Elder Dragon after Primordus woke up. That makes me wonder if there’s some special significance to Primordus’ awakening or perhaps his existence.

But I guess this is not the place to speculate about that, since this thread is created to ask questions. Unfortunately, my other questions are all ones that would be spoilers and are more likely to be answered in the game at some point.

“I like going on adventures, helping my friends and watching things burn.”
~ Spring Flow, Sylvari Guardian

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Question 2: No, the defeat of the Great Destroyer didn’t affect the awakening of any other Elder Dragon.
Question 3: He has yet not awoken, but his magical energy might be already affecting Tyria; as happened with Jormag’s back in Eye of the North.

Actually, we are not quite sure of either of these.

If the Great Destroyer wasn’t stopped, then Primordus would have awoken in roughly 1078 AE leaving a 100 year gap before the next Elder Dragon. The Elder Dragons awake in roughly 50 year gaps. Either the Great Destroyer’s death did pause the others, Primordus prepared for a head start and the others didn’t, the 50 year thing is purely coincidence (from a lore standpoint), or two Elder Dragons awoke at roughly the same time (when Primordus awoke – which by our knowledge would be Mordremoth’s waking time in such a case).

We simply don’t know – though I’m guessing the 50 year thing is just coincidence by a lore standpoint because if Glint wasn’t purified then she would have hastened Kralkatorrik’s awakening making him rise sooner, but as she didn’t, his awakening was prolonged the longest but still at that 50 year time period. Similarly Jormag’s awakening was likely delayed by the death of Svanir and was known to be hastened by the Sons of Svanir giving energy to Jormag. Chances are that all Elder Dragons were meant to awaken around the time we’re at now but other than Kralkatorrik (and Mordremoth), there were champions to hasten the awakening (this would cause confusion with Zhaitan as he had no known champion – though sleeping on a magic minefield of sorts probably attested to his awakening – same could be said for Primordus even with the Great Destroyer’s death). But that’s hypothetical and not a concrete answer – so those two questions of Errannar.8263 are still valid with answer unproven (just highly likely).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Posted by: Eluveitie.1290

Eluveitie.1290

True, both are somewhat speculations from what we can infer given the information we have at hand. Although, seems unlikely the defeat of a champion from one dragon would affect all the other dragons. But, I guess we could have more insight on the whole pre-awakening affair in general.

But I’d rather get much juicier anwers to other questions asked here in their place. :P

Posted by: Eluveitie.1290

Eluveitie.1290

I’d tell you to delve deeper into your argument of why it needs a lot of work, but it’s not the place and neither is it meant for ranting about game mechanics; it is about posting questions for the dev team regarding lore. So please, take it to another thread.

Posted by: MRA.4758

MRA.4758

Of course you are free to have your own opinions on the game’s mechanic and its lore (as enervating it may be for everyone else when you throw them in so bluntly in a completely unrelated discussion), but you should understand that lore and gameplay are handled by two completely different departments of a rather large company, so there is actually no reason why Anet shouldn’t address both fields at the same time.

~MRA

IGN: Peavy (Asuran Engineer)
Tyrian Intelligence Agency [TIA]
Dies for Riverside on a regular basis, since the betas

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: MRA.4758

MRA.4758

(Back on topic) I am also interested in an answer to the following question:

Players have come up with every sort of speculation on the lore and on (possible and impossible) upcoming story bits of GW2. What has been so far the most interesting/funny/inspiring/elaborate/crazy hypotheses you have heard that has absolutely nothing to do with the direction the lore/story of the game is actually heading?

~MRA

IGN: Peavy (Asuran Engineer)
Tyrian Intelligence Agency [TIA]
Dies for Riverside on a regular basis, since the betas

(edited by MRA.4758)

Posted by: Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Adding a generic +1 on the Charr-related lore questions. More information regarding Ash Legion in particular.

“The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever.” — Me
I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a
Project Manager. You’ve been warned. ;-)

Posted by: Daesyn.4781

Daesyn.4781

I’m not sure if this is even the right place to put this, but here goes:

Are there any future plans (even tentative ones) to add new classes? I did a search on the subject, but pretty much everything I found is pure speculation.

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

Previous

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

Next

Hello all! We’ve been watching your questions and they’ve been quite wonderful. We’re locking the thread now so we can send it off to get answers. Once we have all the responses, we’ll get it localized and post back here with the answers!

We’ll be posting the responses next week; we already have a stickied thread so you’ll never miss what is happening: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Dolyak-Express-Dev-Q-A-Archives

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Previous

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Greetings,

Welcome to the next installment of the Dolyak Express. Today we have answers to some of your lore questions from this thread, as well as from the other language forums, from Lead Writer Bobby Stein and Narrative Designers Jeff Grubb and Scott McGough.

Q: What sort of internal structures do you have at work to maintain consistency of the universe in the long run [among so many designers and writers]? I know you have a big wiki for pure objective and logical consistency, but what about the spirit of the universe?

Bobby Stein: We use a combination of wikis, internal documentation, and interdisciplinary communication to both maintain and evolve the spirit of the Guild Wars universe. Every team that is building story content has an assigned narrative designer who drafts character dialog and plot, but also checks for continuity.

Q: Could you explain to us the steps of the story creation process based on a well-known example? From the idea to the game—including the different people dealing with it. How were different teams involved in creating it?

Bobby: Living World story creation has evolved considerably over the past year, as we’re always striving to create interesting character moments that resonate with our players. It all starts with a concept or plot outline involving our main characters. We pose a question that we want players to ask. Then we set out to answer that question through a combination of story beats, character moments, art set pieces, and gameplay. We discuss those ideas as a team, and narrow them down to a more focused story. From there, the teams are able to take that framework and build the content that you play every two weeks.

To show that evolution, I’ll use two different release groups. Flame & Frost started out as a series of teaser events that would lead up to the introduction of Rox and Braham, the retaking of Cragstead and the devourer hatchery, and the destruction of Molten Alliance weapons facilities. A relatively small team built that content over several months, with the members focusing on specific story and gameplay bits from concept to completion. We used open world events to draw players in, and then developed the story and characters mostly in story instances.

Contrast that with the Nightmare Tower releases, which had a larger cast of characters, bigger story instances and world zones, and action on a larger scale. Since we were using established characters, we were able to build some quieter moments to allow roleplayers a chance to get to know them a bit better, and we were able to put those out in the open world for increased visibility.

With each release, members of the various Living World teams earned valuable experience that they’d apply to their next projects. By the end of 2013, the writers and narrative designers were working more closely with gameplay designers, which led to greater synergy between disciplines and stronger stories as a result. You’ll see evidence of that in the remaining four releases of the Scarlet story.

Q: The texture of the moon in-game closely resembles the real world moon. Is Tyria supposed to be Earth? And if so, is the Guild Wars 2 universe based before or after our own time?

Bobby: Any similarities to our moon are purely coincidental. Tyria is not Earth.

Q: How is the centaur society structured? What place does spiritualism, social rank, family take in day-to-day life?

Scott McGough: In modern times, the bulk of centaur society is structured more like a massive army under the control of a powerful warlord—specifically, Ulgoth the Mighty of the Modniir. In reaction to all the other sentient races pushing in on centaur territory (humanity being the first on their list of enemies), the Modniir mustered and organized the Harathi and Tamini tribes into a single large fighting force. The Modniir occupy the highest position in this tribal hierarchy, followed by the Harathi, and then the Tamini. The Modniir are ruthless and dictatorial, conscripting the less powerful centaur tribes into service and forcing them to fight according to the combat strategies and orders of battle laid out by the Modniir high command.

The centaurs are generally a very spiritual people that combine nature worship with ancestor worship. This worship was always fairly militant and violent, with rites that routinely ended in ritualistic combat between centaur tribes or between individuals from the same tribe. Years of struggle and border warfare have hardened the centaurs to the point where their religious observances are even more violent and martial than they had been, especially with the Modniir’s aggressive campaign of attacks on humanity. Centaurs still have a deep reverence for their nature spirit (whom they vehemently deny is an aspect of the human goddess Melandru) but these days they focus on the proud, wild, and free aspects of their spirituality far more than the growing and nurturing aspects.

Centaur family bonds have correspondingly diminished in importance as the war against humanity progresses. They still have defined family roles (in short, the males hunt and protect the tribe’s borders while the females aggressively defend centaur civilians while administering the day to day operation of encampments). Males are more common on the battlefield, but as the conflict with humanity continues to drain centaur resources, more and more females are being called away from centaur homesteads to participate in the front line fighting.

Q: Are the Six [gods] really gone or not? Their power is still very much present. Players can call upon the gods’ power with prayers, NPC priests can summon Reapers of Grenth etc., and their statues are still stuffed with energy. So if they left, why are their power still here?

Jeff Grubb: The human gods still exist, and their power is still felt within Tyria. However, they have pulled back into the mists, leaving the humans to stand (or fall) on their own merits. There has been a tendency for the human gods to, um, meddle with their worshippers a bit much, and in the wake of the final battle of Abaddon, they have been trying to cut back. Also, the destruction of the big A and his replacement with Kormir in the Pantheon resolved one of their ties with physical contact with Tyria. So there are ties, but you just can’t ring them up to take on the Elder Dragons.

Q: During their training in the fahrar, how is a charr’s profession decided? What would prompt a cub to be given training in spellcasting, when spellcasting is not particularly liked in charr society? Does the fahrar merely give charr a basic military training and they then leave and decide which profession they want to specialize in?

Jeff: Profession is determined by aptitude. If a young charr has magical tendencies, it would be unwise both for the cub and the warband to push him or her into another field. Some groups do this, but others are pragmatic about it – a hallmark of charr thinking. They are not big fans of magical abilities due to the previous power of the Flame Legion, but still see magical abilities as a useful tool. The best modern comparison is the American Football Team, which mostly consists of big, beefy warrior types, but really like to keep around the small guy whose only real skill is to kick the ball 50 yards through a set of uprights.

Q: Can you explain how an asuran wedding ceremony might work ? Preferably with as much details as possible.

Jeff: Here’s what I have said publicly previously on Asura Marriage – Asura tend to practice serial monogamy, in that they have a serious romantic relationship with only one other asura at a time. Most of these relationships are equal partnerships which often (but not always) have a firm, pre-determined end date. Most often, such relationships come out of two asura who fall in love with the same beautiful concept. These marriages of the mind produce rapid development of ideas and increased conceptual paradigms. Oh yeah, and children. Relationships that break up tend to feature more fights about who gets the inventions than who gets the kids. – http://secretagentcat.com/2011/09/12/in-the-mind-of-genius/

I don’t think we’ve had an asura wedding ceremony yet.

Q: Do ogres have religious beliefs?

Jeff: From our internal wiki “Ogres are not spiritual in any fashion; they have no concept of gods of religious spirits, they do not worship anything or anyone, they do not have religious traditions, superstitions, or any other fantastic explanation about how the world works or how life was created. They simply do not care. Ogres care only for the here-and-now, the concrete reality of the moment, and have no spiritual belief system to address anything beyond that point.”

Q: Do the wizard towers in Kessex Hills and Ascalon have any relationship? What´s the story behind them and what happened to the Ascalonian one?

Jeff: I think the two towers are similar chiefly because of the chains. The idea of chaining down your tower makes sense for when you are dealing with particularly powerful powerful magics allows you to move the tower away from populated areas when you are experimenting with particularly powerful energies, and, of course, to move away once something has gone horribly, horribly wrong. The tower in Kessex Hills was in a nearby location in GW1 and was towed to the present location. The one from Ascalon in GW1 is missing and its fate is unrevealed.

Q: In the Order of Whispers lair, we can see a huge planetarium. But it doesn’t seem to correspond to Tyrian continents. What are the blue areas on it? Of what use is this item for the Order?

Jeff: The huge orb is the Order Threat Assessment Board, indicating draconic and other supernatural threats on a huge scale. Much of the globe has not been explored by the Order, and as a result that space is used as expanded views for the areas that they are monitoring, and the end result does not look like the “real” world outside to someone just walking in (think of walking up behind a programmer when their screen is filled with code).

Q: What is the story behind the secret rooms in Caudecus’ Manor and the faces therein?

Jeff: The rooms of madness were something that Josh came up with for the Caduecus explorables, which we put into the map but did not implement in the game due to time. They remained on the map itself, but were not connected. Fans located the rooms by getting behind the architecture. There is currently no official story regarding the faces.