Dolyak Express - March 28, 2014

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: shogei.8015

shogei.8015

In GW1 there were rare contests where users could design weapons and armor. Has any thought been put into doing that for GW2?

Guild warrior for life!

Posted by: Hokie.1045

Hokie.1045

• Is the price of transmutation essentially being tripled for players under level 80? If so, is there any way to make it easier to acquire them on these characters? (please don’t say map completion)
  • Will the WvW Armor Skins vendor stay with the wardrobe installation? How will skins that we purchase, or have purchased, be integrated into the wardrobe—It was seen that HoM skins said “Free to Apply”, will these skins earn a ’Free to Apply X times"?
[KI] Ferguson’s Crossing
~Hokie —
~Red Kiwi

Posted by: Dragonic Elemental.2674

Dragonic Elemental.2674

Will you keep this style of iteration of releasing updates only every half a year, or will you, much to my preference, start with faster iteration on (smaller) patches?

May the Six watch over us. And come back to Tyria soon.

Posted by: Aldorion.9741

Aldorion.9741

I wonder what happens to the Fused Gauntles when the wardrobe hits.
Will we get the skin unlocked for each tier or will we just get the one we chose? And what if people (like me) kept the Ticket? It would be really awesome to see it unlocked for each type of armor!

Posted by: Risingashes.8694

Risingashes.8694

Why do you consider it fair to not compensate TPvPers for the effort they’ve already put in to the system?

TPvPers have not received achievement credit for rank points gained by winning tournaments.

They’ve had their efforts trivialized by a ten-fold increase in winning rewards without retroactive adjustments.

They’ve had their rank trivialized by a quartering of the max rank achievable.

The effect is new players getting ten times more, and having to do a significant amount less, all the while the original participants have had hundreds of hours effectively negated.

Win chests will be deleted with no compensation, and no method to actually convert the items from these chests has been provided.

Glory boosters have already been effectively deleted without compensation.

Would it really be so horrible to do some token gesture to players who’ve been using an imbalanced system so their time isn’t wasted? How exactly would it hurt anyone for someone who has 200 chests to be given the same reward that they’d get under the new system? Why are they simply out of luck while new players are showered with rewards?

You did this with Fractals, while making the reward system worse, and failing to provide the leaderboards- the only justifiable reason for a reset. So this attitude must be some core design philosophy, but I’m unable to really understand how you justify screwing over old players for seamingly no reason. Is there really no way to give ANY recognition to people who’ve kept formats going prior to revamps?

All you’d need to do is put in a vendor that converts glory boosters to 100 glory, that would be nothing compared to how much the boosters could actually get if they were used. But it would be less of a slap in the face, it would acknowledge that you’re taking something away.

Allow a convertion of chests on a 5:1 ratio for new chests, so people stuck without glory can get something for a year of effort. Same with crafting mats.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

With the new Trait system and the reworking of lower levels mobs to compensate, have you looked at the scaling system for downscaling as well? Otherwise, wouldn’t higher level characters go from being able to sneeze lower level mobs down to just being able to glare them down?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: ATHAM.5068

ATHAM.5068

What will happen to the duplicate gemstore skins that are used in both PvE and PvP?

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

How far back are skins going to be rewarded?
Will we only have access to the ones we currently have on characters and in bank? Or can you track what skins we’ve used since our first login?

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Spanex.1950

Spanex.1950

My question isn’t related to the april 15th patch but I’ve been getting into 3d modeling and I have a question for the dev who rigged/animated the krait. What I want to ask is: How many bones were used in the krait model’s tail?

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

What will happen of living story skins that had specific armor type limitations, like per example the fused gauntlets skin of which you had to choose between the armor types? Will it become open to all types or remain as the armor type you chose it to be back then?
(Hopefully you take my suggestion: make these skins open to all armor types since I know I am not the only one that regrets the choice I made back then and would really like to use that skin on other types than the one I chose and essentially they are not bound to armor types in the first place)

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

My question isn’t related to the april 15th patch but I’ve been getting into 3d modeling and I have a question for the dev who rigged/animated the krait. What I want to ask is: How many bones were used in the krait model’s tail?

As a fellow 3d hobbyist, can I second this question? Or perhaps make a bolder question?

Would devs be allowed/willing to post wireframes/rigging/texture samples of models like the krait or towns so we can look at how they’re built? No the actual model files, just jpegs of screen captures or renders from them. Pretty please? With sugar and cherries and all that on top?

Any chance for a twitch stream with the devs for that kind of stuff?

…sorry, I’ll stop derailing this now.

Posted by: Twyll Blackleaf.9641

Twyll Blackleaf.9641

As a fellow 3d hobbyist, can I second this question? Or perhaps make a bolder question?

Would devs be allowed/willing to post wireframes/rigging/texture samples of models like the krait or towns so we can look at how they’re built? No the actual model files, just jpegs of screen captures or renders from them. Pretty please? With sugar and cherries and all that on top?

Any chance for a twitch stream with the devs for that kind of stuff?

…sorry, I’ll stop derailing this now.

As someone interested in the reasons behind their refusal to do meshes for separate pieces on Outfits, I’d like to third this Particularly when it comes to armor— especially given that I sincerely doubt anyone’s going to be stealing your “trade secrets” for “how to make an armor system that can’t be edited later or mixed and matched.”

And now, voila! The question has become relevant to the topic!

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Right now, AP chests have a PvP skin box inside of them that gives you about 6 PvP skins. Which I’ve always just deposited into my PvP locker because I don’t PvP. But on 4/15 those skins will become available for me in PvE, which is awesome.

My question is, will AP chests opened after 4/15 have a box in them containing skin unlocks, much like the old chests did?

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

With the advent of account bound ascended / legendary gear, would it now be feasible to do some type of ‘armor closet’? If so, is it something the devs would consider doing as a future feature?

Something to help facilitate the sharing of account bound weapons / armor / trinkets across alts, and potentially resolving some player concerns about additional sets eating up room in their inventory or in their bank.

(Yeah, I know. Not open ended, but a simple yes or no would be sufficient for me.)

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Posted by: pswendel.8179

pswendel.8179

Right now, AP chests have a PvP skin box inside of them that gives you about 6 PvP skins. Which I’ve always just deposited into my PvP locker because I don’t PvP. But on 4/15 those skins will become available for me in PvE, which is awesome.

My question is, will AP chests opened after 4/15 have a box in them containing skin unlocks, much like the old chests did?

Please answer this.

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Will there be an opportunity to earn transmutation charges as in game rewards for events, or will access be strictly gem purchases?

Considering demand will likely be lower across the board for skins, will loot tables be adjusted for unique drops, mystic forge, and black lion chests?

(edited by Gnat.9405)

Posted by: capnbishop.3927

capnbishop.3927

Not being able to port directly into a contestable waypoint will almost certainly increase overall waypoint expenses (we now have to port into the zone first, then port again if the intended destination isn’t contested). Is there a plan to offset this cost, or is this just an extension of the gold sink?

Posted by: Coroner.3168

Coroner.3168

Q: Will we be able to see in which ‘Megaserver’ we are? Like in the original game you could see in which district you were in (starting from 1 upwards).

Andal Myth Of East – Guardian
Northern Shiverpeaks [NA]
Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS]

Posted by: Zesbeer.8365

Zesbeer.8365

I am unsure if this has been asked and or answered but will we have to roll 22 characters to get all of the biography armor options? (example: the starter mesmer masks) or are those skins going to be basic unlocks for everyone?

also will there be any basic unlocks?
or gemstore unlock packs?

Posted by: ZDBioHazard.8246

ZDBioHazard.8246

I’ve got a whole bunch of questions about the MegaServer system. Sorry if this is too long, I tend to talk a lot.

Does the decision of which instance you’re placed in have any persistence? For example, if I disconnect, will I still be placed in the same instance when I quickly log back in, or will I be placed in another instance if the system deems another has become “more favorable?”

Also, is there any functionality to prompt to switch instances if another one becomes much more favorable after you join? Say, if you enter a zone by yourself, then half a dozen friended, but unpartied guildmates happen to land on another instance later due to overflow, server weights or whatever. I think it would be kind-of cool if the UI would show a discrete prompt saying something like “Hey, we found an instance that looks like it might be more favorable, if you’re interested. Transfer?”

I imagine lots of new instances will need to be generated when an absolutely massive amount of people show up to a map for the scheduled world boss of the moment. When the boss is over, do the overflow instances still collapse with the “${ZONE} is ready, transfer?” dialog? Does the MegaServer system actively notice people waypointing from one boss to another to perhaps preemptively place a portion of them on some sort of “boss-killing”-oriented instance to avoid accidentally slamming the original map?

Will we have any user-facing options for tuning the sorting algorithm? For example, I would forsake any kind of home server-based weighting to be with any of my guildmates, where other users might prefer the opposite. There could even be a setting for “prefer Roleplayers” which would simply prioritize people who have set that option, to attempt to satisfy the RP group. However, I can see how such options would likely interfere with metrics gathering for testing, and might disrupt the illusion of transparency you guys seem to be going for with this system.

This one might be a little too close to the secret sauce, but I would like to know more about what sort of metrics the system collects to determine “my playstyle.” I’m just curious. Is it as simple as “you run X events/bosses/champions/dungeons per hour,” or does it go in-depth to analyze chat or keep records on the different people I party with through LFG/etc? I know you guys keep all those metrics and statistics for other reasons already, My question is if the MegaServer sorting algorithm uses any of that data directly. Would we see instances full of people who like to stand at the trading post? People that say “lol” a lot? People that talk about the same topics in /map or /say chat? Zones dedicated to farming bots?

I am really excited to see the performance of this sorting algorithm. I think it has the potential to really liven up some zones, and create a more unified community for PvE.

Ara Daybreak [GT] – Charr Elementalist – Henge of Denravi

(edited by ZDBioHazard.8246)

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Previous

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Next

Thank you for submitting these questions. We will review the questions from this week’s thread, as well as those from the other language forums. We will chose a group of them to hand over to the various Development Teams. Their replies will be posted in all language forums on Friday, April 11.

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

Previous

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

Thanks for waiting everybody. We have gathered questions from this thread, other threads on the forum and from our other language forums and passed them along to the teams for answers. Below you can read the great responses we have received from the developers. Namely, Associate Game Director John Corpening, Gameplay Programmer Bill Freist, Server Programmer Samuel Loretan and Game Designers Curtis Johnson and Matt Wuerffel.

Trait Changes

Q: What about PvP-only players who have low-level characters for PvP? Does the new trait system mean we won’t be able to experiment with builds any more unless we start playing PvE?

John Corpening: In PvP players have access to all skills, runes, sigils and traits from the “core” set. The core set is everything the game launched with. New traits and other items that are added to the game will require players to unlock it. So there should be plenty for players to play with. And with all the gold, loot, tomes of knowledge and skill points that players are earning from playing Reward Tracks unlocking the new stuff will be fairly easy.

Q: With the way getting trait points is changing and having to be level 30, does this mean that we can only get 50 trait points?

John Corpening: Trait points will be condensed from a total of 70 points into 14 points. Each one of these new points is essentially worth 5 of the ‘old’ points. This way each time you spend a point you will unlock a minor or major trait slot and 50 points of each stat in the line which will feel much more rewarding as well as prevent build errors when setting up your character. These points will begin to be awarded at level 30 and continue to be obtained every 6 levels. Once you reach level 66 it will continue at a pace of 2 points every 6 levels until 80.

Social Play and LFG Changes

Q: Last login for guilds, does that mean last represented login?

Bill Freist: Last logout time for the account – regardless of what guild they were representing.

Q: So is it only guild leaders who have access to seeing when members last logged on, or can the entire guild roster see it?

Bill Freist: The entire guild can view this information.

Q: Is last login retroactive? Will we see actual last login dates on April 15th or do we start our clocks from April 15th?

Bill Freist: This feature was deployed at midnight PST on Mar 12th. Players that log out after that time will start recording their last online time. So the maximum last online time will be just over a month when this feature ships. Player that haven’t logged in between then and the build will display as “Unknown” for when they were last online.

Megaserver

Q: Will language grouping only work for officially supported languages (EN, FR, DE, ES)? If not, how will players who speak unsupported languages (Polish, Russian, etc.) be grouped?

Samuel Loretan: To determine a player language, MegaServer uses the language of that player’s home world (or the world currently guested to, if any). That means that only official languages are being supported. All servers marked with a specific language are using this language, while servers without an explicit language are using English by default. Players who speak unsupported languages will be grouped using those criteria.

Q: How will this affect the people I’ve blocked? Will they be shuffled to another map unless someone in my guild has them unblocked?

Samuel Loretan: The MegaServer system currently doesn’t use the friends list nor the blocked list information. This might be something that will change in the future: as we’ve stated, the MegaServer system is just the beginning, and we are exploring all sorts of approaches in creating meaningful and solid social units for the system to use.

Q: What is happening with guesting?

Samuel Loretan: On April 15th, the guesting feature will still exist. If you guest to a specific world, this world will be used to sort you, instead of your home world. That doesn’t mean that you will necessarily end up in a different map copy, but you will be counted as a member of your guested world by the MegaServer system.

Universal Timers and Guild Events

Q: Will existing Influence, Merits, Consumables, and Unlocks across all Worlds be merged into the new unified chapter?

Samuel Loretan: We are still working on the details of the guild merging, but the general goal is to avoid losing anything in the process, when feasible, and without going over the currently defined maximal capacities for each of those elements (the 250 Merits limit, for example). Keep in mind that this will evolve, and that we will let you know the specifics of the guild merging as soon as practically feasible.

Q: How will Guild Banks from different Worlds be resolved and merged together? In order to avoid items/gold being destroyed, will guilds have to empty their guild banks in preparation for a merge?

Samuel Loretan: As previously said, the specifics of the merging are still being worked on. Guild banks are a difficult problem to solve, but we’re currently targeting a solution that wouldn’t require any preparation from the players. That being said, nothing is set for sure here, and you will be informed of the details as soon as they’re defined for certain.

Q: Since the megaserver changes will initially affect a few areas, will the World Boss schedule table be true just for the light yellow bosses or are the rest of the World Bosses also going into the new schedule even if their areas are still not part of the megaserver?

Samuel Loretan: No, the World Bosses schedule will be released globally on April 15th. Note that the order of rollout of the MegaServer system may still change, as we’re still conducting tests, and as we will be adjusting the parameters depending on our monitoring. While I know that it isn’t what was in the blog post, we’re adjusting this to ensure the best experience for everyone, and the smoother possible rollout of this feature, which has a very large scope and requires careful operation.

Wardrobe and Dye Changes

Q: Will all the gems armors we have bought or earned be unlocked even if we salvaged some of them?

Curtis Johnson: Only skins you currently have equipped or in inventory will be unlocked automatically. Any piece from a complete gem store armor set will unlock the whole set for your account. So if you salvaged everything but still have the primeval glove skin you will unlock the whole armor set.

Q: Speaking of the gas mask — what about it, or Mask of the Queen, or other items that currently can be applied to any weight of armor but then get locked to that weight? Will they remain free-for-all in terms of armor weight once in the Wardrobe?

Matt Wuerffel: Items that could be applied to any weight of armor (the gas mask, Mask of the Queen, Radiant and Hellfire armor) will unlock their skin for all armor types.

Q: Do racial and weight restrictions still apply to the wardrobe system?

Matt Wuerffel: When you are transmuting looks to a character, racial and armor type restrictions still apply. Any character can unlock those skins to the account (e.g. your Mesmer can acquire heavy armor and unlock the skins to your account, which you could then apply to your Guardian’s appearance).

Q: Does the number of transmutation charges required depend on anything?

Matt Wuerffel: All transmutations cost one charge per item, with the exception of skins from the Hall of Monuments and the achievements system, which are free to apply.

Q: Once I unlock a skin in the wardrobe, am I free to delete the actual item while still using the appearance from the wardrobe in the future?

Matt Wuerffel: Yes. In fact, deleting the item will actually unlock the skin in the wardrobe as a safeguard.

Q: Are we going to be able to use town clothes as armor from now on?

Matt Wuerffel: All outfits will be usable in combat.

Q: Why not simply convert town clothes into armor skins and keep the costume pieces separate?

Curtis Johnson: Some town-clothes are not compatible in tech and art style to mix with all the existing armors and thus were not eligible for conversion.

Q: ‘Outfits’ are all or nothing. What about items that were sold as individual items?

Curtis Johnson: Town clothes sold individually were either converted to individual armor skins available to any weight class or endless tonics.

Q: What happens to the extra items that came with the costumes, like the broom you fly on or the black cat?

Curtis Johnson: All toys will still function from inventory and can be used with armor or outfits. Toys will still un-equip automatically in combat.

Q: Will this be enabled in WvW? What about the various toys that got costumes and such banned from WvW?

Curtis Johnson: WvW equipment and wardrobe will all be usable the same as PvE. Toys that are not allowed in WvW will be individually disabled.

Q: Will a transmutation charge “unlock” the skin already in our locker for unlimited use?

Matt Wuerffel: Skin unlocks are permanent, free, and account wide by account binding the item or salvaging it. Each time you transmute a skin from the wardrobe onto an item, it will cost one transmutation charge with the exception of skins from the Hall of Monuments and the achievements system will remain free to apply to as many items as you like. Once transmuted the item can be equipped and unequipped as often as you like and will keep the skin.

Q: Unidentified dyes are required for the Gift of Color. How are we going to get them now?

Matt Wuerffel: Unidentified dyes will be obtainable from the Mystic Forge, from select in-game rewards, and from the trading post. Also, the number of unidentified dyes required for the Gift of Color will be reduced.

Q: When unlocking a Legendary appearance, will I also unlock the visual effect that comes with it (footsteps and aura). If so, would it take 1 transmutation charge to apply those to the account or will I need to pay gold?

Matt Wuerffel: All visual effects that are associated with a Legendary weapon will apply to any weapon transmuted to an unlocked Legendary skin. The cost of transmutation is always one charge per item, with the exception of skins from the Hall of Monuments and the achievements system, which are free to apply.

Q: If I’ve already reskinned my legendary with something else would I still be getting the legendary skin when we get the wardrobes? Also, what will happen to transmutation splitters?

Matt Wuerffel: Items that have been transmuted will unlock the skin of the base item used for stats and the most recent item applied for appearance. Transmutation splitters will still be available to use on transmuted items to separate the base item used for stats and the most recent item applied for appearance.

Q: What about backpieces (be it the Jetpack, Dwayna, Ascended, etc.): will these be converted into skins too?

Matt Wuerffel: Backpiece skins can be added to your account wardrobe, and backpiece items can be transmuted through the wardrobe in the hero panel, just like other pieces of equipment.

Q: Will there be an opportunity to earn transmutation charges as in game rewards for events, or will access be strictly gem purchases?

Curtis Johnson: Transmutation charges can be earned as part of map completes and will occasionally be included in other rewards. Gold can also be exchanged for gems to purchase anything in the store.