Double HP not compatible with Inquest GMII?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Geekfox.4267

Geekfox.4267

For the first time, the event to destroy the Inquest’s Golem Mark II has just failed with about 5% HP after 15 minutes.

I always melee DPS on the boss but like 95% of the zerg do not. So…. either adjust the health on Golem Mark II compensate for the poor DPS from the ranging zerg, or maybe the zerg need to rethink their DPS and strategy? I don’t know.

Thoughts?

Attachments:

Posted by: Absolute Ze Woah.1074

Absolute Ze Woah.1074

I was just there too. I’m really disappointed in this health buff because the MKII didn’t need it. It’s already got a ton of health and takes a while to do. Not to mention it doesn’t drop anything worth getting like Teq or TT does. What makes it worse is that the majority of people stand on that box and auto from range which doesn’t give crits. You have to melee the boss which proves somewhat difficult on MKII because of its electric fields.

tl;dr: health buff was good on some bosses (fire ele) but MKII didn’t need it. It’s just obnoxious on him.

Geekfox.4267

Personally, I’d prefer removing the box people were standing on, instead of increasing Inquest Golem Mark II’s health. Rude awakening with buffing other world bosses’ health is good enough.

Posted by: Zui.9245

Zui.9245

This is simply a learn2play issue from the zerg. AFK range 11111ing does terrible damage. It wastes your time, and the time of everyone else, as well as increasing the possibility of failure (what you just experienced).

It would be nice if ANET simply removed the box, but I’m sure that after enough regular fails of the golem that the zerg will start to learn2play and actually melee the golem. It’s not like melee is really all that difficult for this boss anyway, providing you’re paying a tiny amount of attention and thus not effectively playing AFK.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The zerg has always been terrible at killing it. Before the zergs came along, you used to be able to solo it in half the time they usually take. Blame all the leechers – they make everything that scales worse.

If everyone that wasn’t dealing their worth in DPS simply tagged the boss and AFK’d outside of the event’s area, events would be a lot faster.

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

The zerg has always been terrible at killing it. Before the zergs came along, you used to be able to solo it in half the time they usually take. Blame all the leechers – they make everything that scales worse.

If everyone that wasn’t dealing their worth in DPS simply tagged the boss and AFK’d outside of the event’s area, events would be a lot faster.

Problem is scaling here. I remember being able to 5man MarkII and dodging the electro plates and such. but today, due to the sheer number of ppl standing on that box, it makes no sense to do that anymore.

Anet needs to serious think about what they are doing here. Simply adding Crit damage to the bosses and doubling the HP is not good enough. The bosses are all still the same, they just take longer now. So what did Anet accomplish by doing this? Absolutely nothing.

The exception would be TeQ and TT, those bosses suffer from Skill Lag now and 30-45 seconds of players unable to activate Fury, Haste, Might Boons really suffers the entire Burning of that boss. That is why they are failing more now then before the patch. Also, TEQ is not any harder then before, he/she just takes nearly all the time now to kill it. Been in 5-6 successful maps since that patch and every kill ended at :45 – 1:25 seconds left on the boss counter. How is that more challenging? its not.

Problem with TEQ is the morons who auto attack and stay dead when downed. The smaller issue is ppl not watching the clock to get back on defenses after the burn phase. when players get those under control, and Anet fixes the lag, Teq will be on 95% farm just like before this poor excuse of a Boss Patch.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

teq claw and golem did not need this 200% hp buff

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

So standing on the box is out? Actually, I don’t mind that. I like having to watch the electro zaps and rush in when they’re gone. Sometimes I just do that anyhow even if I’m on a toon with proper range.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

So what happens when the event fails? Does the Golem just go away and nothing happens, or is there some dialogue? Any consequences for the failing players?

Geekfox.4267

So what happens when the event fails? Does the Golem just go away and nothing happens, or is there some dialogue? Any consequences for the failing players?

It just detaches itself from the platform, deconstructs into floating little block particles and flies vertically away. No mass player wipe, no massive poison fog or anything. Just event failure and no chest.

And a new feeling of disgust due to 20 minutes wasted.

(edited by Geekfox.4267)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

For the first time, the event to destroy the Inquest’s Golem Mark II has just failed with about 5% HP after 15 minutes.

I always melee DPS on the boss but like 95% of the zerg do not. So…. either adjust the health on Golem Mark II compensate for the poor DPS from the ranging zerg, or maybe the zerg need to rethink their DPS and strategy? I don’t know.

Thoughts?

Then, the zerg is going to have to adapt. Why should the game adjust to people who want to stand in one spot complaining about how boring it is to press <1>? Shouldn’t the developers continue to challenge us?

I’m not going to worry about world boss events failing until the community takes time to sort out new strategies, given the changes. If, after adapting, we still aren’t able to kill them within less than half the allotted time, then we can bring out the pitchforks.

edit: the ‘kitten’ filter doesn’t like to see “will not” or “won’t” followed by “it”.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

The problem is that being able to crit them doesn’t work. If crit damage was working properly, the 2x HP would not be causing much of a difference in kill times.

With Tequatl, the only spot that crit damage actually works with is the ‘hidden/double damage’ spot on the ground. A location that you will only hit with ground targeted AoE or melee attacks. The actual targetable spots are still immune to crits. Others, like Shadow Behemoth, have no spots that you can crit.

So the problem isn’t the double hp, or even the players (though, I do agree the box at golem should be removed). It’s the fact that this change was obviously not implemented properly, and pushed out without bothering to test it.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The exception would be TeQ and TT, those bosses suffer from Skill Lag now and 30-45 seconds of players unable to activate Fury, Haste, Might Boons really suffers the entire Burning of that boss. That is why they are failing more now then before the patch. Also, TEQ is not any harder then before, he/she just takes nearly all the time now to kill it. Been in 5-6 successful maps since that patch and every kill ended at :45 – 1:25 seconds left on the boss counter. How is that more challenging? its not.

I don’t think the change was intended to make it more challenging, at least no more than before the 6/23 patch. The patch shifted the advantage towards conditions for these bosses and this change is just to move it back in the other direction so they should be more or less equally effective.

mrstealth.6701

I don’t think the change was intended to make it more challenging, at least no more than before the 6/23 patch. The patch shifted the advantage towards conditions for these bosses and this change is just to move it back in the other direction so they should be more or less equally effective.

Direct damage is also higher than it was before, thanks to gaining access to more traits and overall stats being increased. Guardians having easy access to AoE quickness is also giving a considerable boost to both damage types.

If we could properly crit all target locations on bosses, we would probably still be killing them faster than before the 6/23 update.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I was just there too. I’m really disappointed in this health buff because the MKII didn’t need it. It’s already got a ton of health and takes a while to do.

I don’t think it had much more health – if it had more health at all – than most other world bosses.

The thing is that most players just spam 1 at max range while standing on those boxes to avoid the annoyance of the electric fields. Those who can’t spend most of the fight waypointing and running back as the electric field kills in ~3 hits for most (especially zerkers).

So it’s less ‘he has more health’ and more ‘zerg doesn’t do optimal damage by choice’.

If they nerfed that electric field and/or removed that stack of boxes, I bet he’d die much faster.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Everyone is aware that those boxes are there intentionally and working as intended, right? They’ve been there since the beginning, and there’s a reason they’re there, it’s so people can range attack the boss…but you CAN NOT just spam 1, you must use all of your skills…it’s not rocket science, but then again, perhaps it is, maybe that’s why there’s a problem now. It certainly isn’t the 100% HP increase(which is what doubling is, it’s a 100% increase, not 200% as someone above said…i.e. 100% of 10 is 10, 200% of 10 is 20, if the HP was originally 10, now it’s 20…hence, doubled or 100% increase).

Posted by: Conaywea.5062

Conaywea.5062

why people waste 20mins to get a yellow

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

why people waste 20mins to get a yellow

This is what I have been asking myself for sometime now, even 5mins to get a yellow to too much.

The Entire loot system needs overhauled. I am soo sick and tired of getting the same loot on all the same mobs across the zones in the game. its unimaginative on Anet’s part, and really gives players no incentive to adapt to these new updates.

I would like to see more BoA items that are boss specific. and Skins are just not enough.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Khisanth.2948

I was just there too. I’m really disappointed in this health buff because the MKII didn’t need it. It’s already got a ton of health and takes a while to do.

I don’t think it had much more health – if it had more health at all – than most other world bosses.

The thing is that most players just spam 1 at max range while standing on those boxes to avoid the annoyance of the electric fields. Those who can’t spend most of the fight waypointing and running back as the electric field kills in ~3 hits for most (especially zerkers).

So it’s less ‘he has more health’ and more ‘zerg doesn’t do optimal damage by choice’.

If they nerfed that electric field and/or removed that stack of boxes, I bet he’d die much faster.

The electric field does 25% per hit so it doesn’t really matter what you wear.

Aerlen.5326

Well, having done Golem MK2 I can now say….

…that this doesn’t matter if you melee him.

Zerg needs to get in close or AoE and dodge out of the electric fields. Expect to still die a few times though.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Khisanth.2948

Did it earlier. Didn’t seem much different from the old one to me. It ended at :12 so I guess that was 9 minutes for the kill.

Posted by: Genlog.4983

Genlog.4983

the HP off the boss is not the problem but i stile see many going afk during a boss fight
and they w8 till the boss is almost done

its very sad allot off players do that

Posted by: Sango.6502

Sango.6502

…Others, like Shadow Behemoth, have no spots that you can crit…

Anet does need to fix SB’s crit spot in particular. It’s actually located in the death spot!!

Wouldn’t expect the zerg to go in and stand it thou.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Indeed, Golem was long enough even before the additional HP.

Also Claw of Jormag.. that thing takes 30 minutes to kill now. It was way too long even before. :P

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It died within 8 minutes on the random instance I was in. I don’t think the health of the boss is the issue; the zerg just hasn’t adapted to the new mechanic(s) yet.

mrstealth.6701

…Others, like Shadow Behemoth, have no spots that you can crit…

Anet does need to fix SB’s crit spot in particular. It’s actually located in the death spot!!

Wouldn’t expect the zerg to go in and stand it thou.

Yeah, I did find that spot. It’s certainly not one that most players can be expected to hit. You need ground target AoE to hit it without dying, which is something not everyone has. No auto attack has any chance of hitting that without extremely precise positioning and camera angles.

SB also suffers fromsevere downscaling of precision. I kept about 1/3 of my actual crit chance in that area.

mrstealth.6701

It died within 8 minutes on the random instance I was in. I don’t think the health of the boss is the issue; the zerg just hasn’t adapted to the new mechanic(s) yet.

The new mechanics aren’t even implemented properly. It makes no sense to have doubled their HP because some very specific, unmarked, untargetable spot can now be critically hit. Most ranged skills in the game can’t even hit these spots. And these hitbox locations aren’t even new, they’ve been there for ages. If you think about it, the fact that these spots exist at all is probably a bug. Teq’s crit spot is the same as the “double damage” spot that can be hit before it even lands for the burn phase.

To me, it seems pretty obvious that they attempted to make the bosses able to be critically hit (at all points), but did so in a way that only effected the ‘hidden’ damage points. It’s not an issue of us needing to adapt, but of Anet needing properly test their implementations before releasing them to the live game.

Posted by: Lotus.1796

Lotus.1796

This lazy method of just doubling HP to make content more difficult is similar to how D3 was implemented in the past.

Posted by: Wuselknusel.4082

Wuselknusel.4082

Thoughts?

So you think because you failed once, that the boss is now OP?

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

…or maybe the zerg need to rethink their DPS and strategy?…

This.
Sad thing is, they won’t. No matter how many times they fail, they’re just not capable of doing anything else. Just stand on the noob spot and pew pew.

mrstealth.6701

…or maybe the zerg need to rethink their DPS and strategy?…

This.
Sad thing is, they won’t. No matter how many times they fail, they’re just not capable of doing anything else. Just stand on the noob spot and pew pew.

While I agree that the box at golem needs to go, and has since day one, that’s not the actual problem. No matter how you play, or where you are, only certain skills are even capable of hitting the crit damage spot.

When I killed golem earlier tonight, only 4 of my 15 available attack skills (2 weapons sets + death shroud) were even capable of hitting that crit damage hitbox. In fact, necro’s dagger has their only auto attack skill that can hit it. A weapon that is of little use for condition builds.

I cannot accept that it is intentional to have such restrictive options to remain viable to any degree for most world bosses.

Posted by: dobri.7820

dobri.7820

We are not obligated to get the reward every time!

if more bosses fail ppl will pay more atention to them. and not just WP hit the boss from max range and w8 it to die. as all good things it takes some time so the ppl can adjust to the current situation.

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

if more bosses fail ppl will pay more atention to them. and not just WP hit the boss from max range and w8 it to die. as all good things it takes some time so the ppl can adjust to the current situation.

I think you have that backwards. If “more bosses fail ppl will pay LESS attention to them”.

It won’t take time to “adjust”. See, if we can agree that most players are casual in that they don’t research the best build for a boss, nor do they watch countless videos about how to take a boss down, then it simply means that after failing at a boss x number of times, they won’t bother with it.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

No, we’re not. But neither should anyone expect people to do a content that is boring, tedious and unrewarding. Golem already took a long time even before that change (condi patch didn’t seem to affect his times in the slightest). Now it just takes too long.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Aerlen.5326

Hmn. I do enjoy the fact that now people do have to melee Golem instead of pressing 1111 from range to win but I understand the frustration. The entire ‘crit spot’ idea seems to be comically flawed on several large bosses leading me to agree with another poster that this is a bug.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Posted by: Draghmar.2594

Draghmar.2594

Everyone is aware that those boxes are there intentionally and working as intended, right? They’ve been there since the beginning, and there’s a reason they’re there, it’s so people can range attack the boss…

You can use range attack without standing on that box just fine. I was doing that many, many times with different classes without any issues. You just need to pay at least a little more attention to your surroundings. :P

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Everyone is aware that those boxes are there intentionally and working as intended, right? They’ve been there since the beginning, and there’s a reason they’re there, it’s so people can range attack the boss…

You can use range attack without standing on that box just fine. I was doing that many, many times with different classes without any issues.

Yep, at 1200 attack range you can easily hit golem without going in the lightning field. Rangers with their 1500 option have it even better. Basically, currently only thieves may have a problem.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Did Golem last night, no issues. Had 5min to spare.

I think the problem is with the majority of people thinking they can 11111111 their way through the fight still.

Eventually those people will figure it out and/or stop showing up, and the only ones left will be the ones that understand they can’t just stand in the electricity and then stay dead until the fight is over….

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Using a sledgehammer to do a scalpel’s job. It’s something of a Guild Wars tradition.

Instead of taking each boss and buffing them individually with regard for fight mechanics etc. let just give them all the same blanket buff.
Everyone loves a good bullet sponge slog right?

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

My solution:

Remove the boxes.
Make is a closed arena. Forcefield the whole place. Which mean , anyone outside of the zone can’t get in and don’t get credit.
Buff it’s hp by 50%
Immune Poison
Immune bleeding
Add a Armor Scales Stack. Armor will degrade if melee attacks. Once it’s armor is completely degraded. Physical damage x 200% or 300%.
Add a Forcefield stack/boon/whatever it is call where ranged damage do 20-30% less damage.
Add a mechanic for players to remove that forcefield stacks for 10 secs or less for a 200% ranged damage.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

That seems like a lot. I’d be fine if they just removed the boxes and toned down the damage slightly on the electric fields. Either that, or the fields should be telegraphed by something.

If you lock people out, then they won’t be able to run back in. When they die (and they will), they will stay dead instead of running back. This could be a problem.

Either way, the boxes definitely need to go or the field needs to be able to hit on top of the boxes too.

Posted by: DirtyDan.4759

DirtyDan.4759

Just finished the Golem II event in about 6 minutes. Don’t know what the problem is. Took maybe 1 minute more than before the patch.
I was using ranger longbow only spaming 1,2,5,7,8,9,10 from a point next to the stairs without getting hit once.

(edited by DirtyDan.4759)

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I always thought the golem was in a good spot HP wise. Maybe took a bit too long. But honestly, I am baffled how many people go down when the electric field shows up or his smash attack, 90% of the people get knocked away and don’t get the right dodging and this after three years. New players aside ofc.

I check sometimes other players. And I am shocked that those ‘1,1,1,1’-ers really exist. I can’t imagine just standing there and doing literally nothing. From this perspective I think it is good, the zerg learns how the mechanics actually work. In the future though, keep those for instanced raid content.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

(edited by ProtoGunner.4953)

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Hrm… while pure HP sponging is bad, at least it is some step in the direction of making PvE enemies not auto-wins. The worst one, but still better than nothing.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Just finished one a couple of hours ago. Did not notice any difference.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t understand why people think this change was made as part of some plan to make the content more challenging.

• The changes to condition mechanics made a lot of bosses trivial. Adding health made up for some of that.
  • People have wanted world bosses to allow critical hits, so that part of their builds wasn’t wasted.
  • Critical hits on world bosses probably shouldn’t be as easy to achieve as they are on standard foes or even standard bosses.
  • Lot of folks have requested that world bosses be less trivial generally, in particular that they shouldn’t die to autoattacks from “safe” spots, as they did two weeks ago.

People obviously need some time to adjust to the changes, so it’s far, far too soon to say that anything needs to change again. It might be that double health is too much or that the critical hit locations are too narrow — let’s try to adapt first, before we assume that ANet ought to act.

Khisanth.2948

That seems like a lot. I’d be fine if they just removed the boxes and toned down the damage slightly on the electric fields. Either that, or the fields should be telegraphed by something.

Electric arcs appear before the damaging field.

Posted by: Photoloss.4817

Photoloss.4817

The problem, especially with the electric fields, is that with the current lags on top of constant effect spam, you simply can’t get out of all attacks in time. Yes, there is a slight warm-up animation, but half of it is obscured by the golem and the other half by other people’s attacks hitting said golem. The Caledon jungle wurm currently desyncs by several seconds for its knockback-spin attack.

For the golem specifically I would suggest reducing the electric fields to less than half their current dps, but upping the barrage attack to deal 5-10k per shot with no target limit (50+ targets). At least that’s a reasonable numerical “fix” until they can come up with proper boss mechanics.

Posted by: Koomaster.9176

Koomaster.9176

If you want to remove the boxes, remove the electric field entirely. It’s too random and sometimes you simply can’t get out of it before you’re dead.

Just did this fight a little while ago and honestly didn’t notice any difference, even with the zerg using boxes and ranging.

Not sure why you guys want to make content more difficult for everyone else. If you want a harder time wait to zone into boss fights till a few seconds before it starts. You’ll probably get a fresh map without a zerg. Solo the boss to your hearts content if you want a difficult fight. But talk about a waste of time.

Khisanth.2948

For the golem specifically I would suggest reducing the electric fields to less than half their current dps, but upping the barrage attack to deal 5-10k per shot with no target limit (50+ targets). At least that’s a reasonable numerical “fix” until they can come up with proper boss mechanics.

So either stand on the box(or similar range) or melee? What is the point of eliminating the midrange option? Those are the only people that would get hit by the barrage.