Dueling in gw2! Remember?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

yeah like everyone is saying, there is an active duel thread also on the front of general discussion.

As for inspect, i would recommend digging up one of the many threads that had been posted back when there was a suggestion forum. You will find it both hilarious and mind-boggling. For some reason, people are reeeeaally against inspect, at least the people that trolled the suggestions forum.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/The-Inspect-Gear-Discussion/page/9#post1625287

Posted by: Brtiva.9721

Brtiva.9721

Auto decline option would be a must.

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

You are in the wrong thread. If you want to have a discussion, at least have the decency to stay on topic. Again, for the 1021382112 w/e times, you can duel in guild wars 2 via custom arena or obsidian sanctum against other servers.

Custom arenas make you use your watered-down sPvP avatar and is not nearly as accessible as open world duels. Colin Johanson even admitted it was a awkward way to have to duel.

The whole point of open world dueling is that it happens on the spot. If you wan’t to duel with someone, you shouldn’t have to form a party, join spvp, open up the wiki to learn howto make a custom arena, realize you have to buy gems to make a custom game, go back to checking off achievements and dont duel because no one is going to go through that effort for a simple duel.

Obsidian Sanctum is another terrible suggestion, unless all your friends happen to be on the opposing WvW servers.

If you spent as much time reading as you did trying to argue with people you would save me a lot of typing.

I might have came up a little bit biased as I mostly tpvp and wvw, and rarely pve. Nonetheless, the Op asked why ArenaNet didn’t implement dueling in guild wars 2 as whole which I proved him wrong. I didn’t realize this discussion was all about duel in open world pve only. Reading between lines is not my forte.

(edited by Poplolita.2638)

Scrambles.2604

You are in the wrong thread. If you want to have a discussion, at least have the decency to stay on topic. Again, for the 1021382112 w/e times, you can duel in guild wars 2 via custom arena or obsidian sanctum against other servers.

Custom arenas make you use your watered-down sPvP avatar and is not nearly as accessible as open world duels. Colin Johanson even admitted it was a awkward way to have to duel.

The whole point of open world dueling is that it happens on the spot. If you wan’t to duel with someone, you shouldn’t have to form a party, join spvp, open up the wiki to learn howto make a custom arena, realize you have to buy gems to make a custom game, go back to checking off achievements and dont duel because no one is going to go through that effort for a simple duel.

Obsidian Sanctum is another terrible suggestion, unless all your friends happen to be on the opposing WvW servers.

If you spent as much time reading as you did trying to argue with people you would save me a lot of typing.

I might have came up a little bit biased as I mostly tpvp and wvw, and rarely pve. Nonetheless, the Op asked why ArenaNet didn’t implement dueling in guild wars 2 as whole which I proved him wrong, he did not said anything about open world pve. Reading between lines is not my forte.

No worries, man. Just read harder next time and stop accusing people of derailing the thread.

For the sake of this conversation, we define dueling the same way it is defined in every other MMO – two players fight each other in the open world until one player has 1 hp left and the duel is over.

For the sake of GW2 and all the people who’s play would for some reason be absolutely ruined by the presence of a duel system, I would advocate for an option to auto-decline duels and a cooldown on the amount of times you could duel request someone.

If the player persists in his/her requests to the point of verbal abuse (because harassment only happens with duels apparently) block the person and report them. If need be, do what us WoW vets used to do when we were being corpse camped by that same undead rogue and leave the zone or take a break, and realize it’s not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Finally, because you enjoy pvp, sparring, competition, not fighting NPCs, it most definitely doesn’t make you an over-aggressive, troll, ganker, jerk, elitist, what-have-you. I don’t know where this idea came from. I see it in this thread “you are rude to me on a forum you are obviously a pvper.” It really blows my mind….remember when video games were about killing eachother? And we were all still friends?

(edited by Scrambles.2604)

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

What’s up with all the negative nancies saying that dueling is a bad idea?

Are you honestly refusing a potential new feature? No matter how many times it’s been discussed, it’s been discussed that much because people WANT it.

Unbelievable really. The amount of people resorting to the most unrealistic and far fetched reasons to not have duels astounds me.

Dueling is a must-have feature in every mmo and its primary objective is fun only. It’s like another activity to do, but here the ever-so-bright casual pve masters think that a new metagame or pvp scene will develop from it lmfao. Too funny.

If you understood dueling at all you would understand that its primary objective is not fun, but rather sharpening ones PvP skills. As such, it is already in the game. You can create an instance in which to sharpen your PvP skills via dueling.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

For the umpteenth time, if this is implemented put a toggle for players to disable the option to participate and I won’t care.

Whut?

Who would make a dueling system save that it have an accept and decline option respectively? That would be broken and lazy.

I ? Karkas.

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I don’t see what’s legitimately wrong with having an option for players to duel in the open world. Do explain, please.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

For the umpteenth time, if this is implemented put a toggle for players to disable the option to participate and I won’t care.

Whut?

Who would make a dueling system save that it have an accept and decline option respectively? That would be broken and lazy.

The on/off toggle would be an auto-decline, I don’t want to have to click a decline or accept option when I have and never will have the inclination to duel.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Raine.1394

I believe this question have been asked hundred of times, but Im wondering – why no duel? Why cant I see and challenge my friend for a friendly duel

Why no implementing that?

PS – why no inspect option?

What this game really needs at this point is gearscore. Let’s be honest about this given the current gear grind context.

Raine.1394

This is probably the biggest thing I miss from games like WoW.
When you are feeling bored you can just do some quick duels against random players in the open world.
The whole spvp dueling just doesn’t feel the same because everyone has the highest level, stats, and gear. They should let us duel in the open world with our current level stats,etc.

Yes, this makes perfect sense with the current gear grind focus. It is antithetical, of course, to the historic Anet position on the matter. But, positions change on the drop of a dime here. So, dueling, why not?

Posted by: Ionut.2307

Ionut.2307

I can see this feature being implemented in the future having to pay a fee in gems for every duel. It wouldn’t surprise me at this point.

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

PvE is about cooperation, therefore I find it counter to the core value proposition of the game mode.

Alas, as stated previously.. use your costume brawl tonics if PvP and WvW don’t satisfy the need.

Never once have I had the desire to pick a fight with another player in the game… that’s me.

I don’t want people dueling around me and confusing whatever is going on in the open world environment. That’s me and that’s my 2 cents.

Seven Star Stalker.1740

PvE is about cooperation, therefore I find it counter to the core value proposition of the game mode.

Alas, as stated previously.. use your costume brawl tonics if PvP and WvW don’t satisfy the need.

Never once have I had the desire to pick a fight with another player in the game… that’s me.

I don’t want people dueling around me and confusing whatever is going on in the open world environment. That’s me and that’s my 2 cents.

Sometimes a duel is useful in a Roleplay scene. I think it’s dubious to have to make someone make a custom arena or pre-determine the outcome for something like that. Furthermore, it’s not confusing. If two people with friendly names are fighting I fail to see how you could be confused when you know people can duel eachother. I mean people have been dueling eachother since ancient times. Unless you’ve studied literally not a single iota of any kind of history and watched not a single movie, you shouldn’t be confused in how dueling works on a basic level.

Also, sometimes people just want to duel for fun. Or may want to simply practice their capabilities in a 1v1 environment to test the damage or builds or the like. With ascended about, you can’t really test that properly in PVP arenas anymore.

Really, it’s literally a case of people being bothered by how other people want to play. This won’t affect you or anyone else in your play style, especially if you can just decline any way. Dueling I find generally is important for Roleplay or fun, but it’s not a functional sort of thing. And really costume brawl isn’t very immersive or effective given you’re using costume skills instead.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: MasterKitty.8205

MasterKitty.8205

The problem with dueling is, it wont be skill based or competitive.
Because the player who has the best PvE gear and access to all traits and skills will have an advantage to change tactics against the player who doesn’t.

Most people I know who take PvP seriously wont duel anyways, unless it’s in the sPvP arena where all players are truly equal in terms of having access to everything they need to strategies against their opponent.

You make it sound like getting access to all traits and skills is hard o_O

^-^ My bad…
What I’m trying to say is, most PvP players I know only care about competitive PvP in equal grounds that they wont care about getting all that stuff from PvE in the first place. It can be very hard for a PvP player to play PvE contents he/she does not enjoy.

There for, dueling already happens in t-PvP arenas because of the accessibility to get right into the game rather than having to play contents you might not like just to do one that you do.

Not sure if that helped clear what I was saying or not.

Edit: And the fact that anyone can do that, kinda means it’s pointless to add dueling, is what Im getting at.

Very true when you want to test out skills.
However, sometimes it has happened that I want to check if my gear is good enough for WvW roaming, for instance. There should be an option that would allow us to test out our gear with our guildmates, for instance.
Only because, once you go to WvW to actually roam. Not only will your gear count, but also your very gameplay.

I do agree with your point. Skill > Gear. But gear still counts for it self somewhat, so I wouldn’t let go of the option to ‘test out our gear’ with our guildmates or randoms or whoever.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

No to open world dueling…for all the reasons stated in all the countless threads we’ve seen here in the forums, before.

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

For some reason, people are reeeeaally against inspect, at least the people that trolled the suggestions forum.

Yes, apparently objecting to the implementation of a tool that further empowers the moaning egotistical moronic elitists in further locking out ordinary players from their oh-so-precious dungeon-grinding parties is now called “trolling”.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Whut?

Diablo 2… Walk into game, use party’s tp… Set up own tp… Go back to town and set self to hostile… Destroy everyone.

And no inspect option because it’s no ones business what I have equipped. They can see quite plainly what skins I’m using and that’s more than they should know anyway… I liken the inspect to someone peeking over the wall into the next changing room at a department store, it’s just creepy.

(edited by Magnus Steelgrave.6580)

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

This is probably the biggest thing I miss from games like WoW.
When you are feeling bored you can just do some quick duels against random players in the open world.
The whole spvp dueling just doesn’t feel the same because everyone has the highest level, stats, and gear. They should let us duel in the open world with our current level stats,etc.

So what you want is to go and kill people with lower levels, lower stats and lower gear so you feel special about killing them?

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

They should make a dueling server. The entire server can duel. But the catch is once you go to that server, you can never play on any other server. No transfers, no nothing.

Then we can finally keep the guys who don’t want to deal with this at all, away from people who insist on having it.

Because that’s the real problem with the MMO industry. Half the population wants X and half wants Y and they’re mutually exclusive.

Posted by: Alienmuppet.1942

Alienmuppet.1942

I would love to see open world dueling implemented. If you don’t want to take part, all you have to do is not take part..

It’d be great if you could slap someone round the face with a glove first..

;-)

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

You could also go back to World of Warcraft.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

Posted by: Taurok.6708

Taurok.6708

If you understood dueling at all you would understand that its primary objective is not fun, but rather sharpening ones PvP skills. As such, it is already in the game. You can create an instance in which to sharpen your PvP skills via dueling.

I would like dueling in the game because it’s fun, a good change of pace, and something to do when you need to wait. I would like it to be convenient enough to actually get used for those purposes. If that means I don’t understand dueling, I’m OK with that.

Also, it’s worth mentioning again that creating custom arenas and joining empty servers are garbage options for dueling. That will technically work, but dueling in instances needs better support if the plan is for us to duel in instances. Not that I care, because for my purposes having to leave the zone defeats the purpose.

Scrambles.2604

For some reason, people are reeeeaally against inspect, at least the people that trolled the suggestions forum.

Yes, apparently objecting to the implementation of a tool that further empowers the moaning egotistical moronic elitists in further locking out ordinary players from their oh-so-precious dungeon-grinding parties is now called “trolling”.

Yeah, because the only reason anyone ever used /inspect was to deny people from groups.

Do you even read the things you type? Is your vision so narrow that you can’t see any other uses for /inspect besides the hypothetical situation where someone boots you from a party you probably didn’t belong in in the first place?

Regardless, this is a duel thread. That other thread got merged into here and I don’t want to go off the rails on this crazy train.

Trolling wasn’t really the best word for me to use…but seriously the only people that browsed the suggestions forums were the hopeful romantics that wanted to suggest things and everyone else that existed just to shut them down.

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

Hey we almost forgot about dueling!
Will this feature ever be implented? Are there any plans for duels ingame now that more than a year has passed?

There is already a system in the game which allows you to duel and duel with your own friends if you desire.

Why make a redundant system?

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Escadin.9482

Escadin.9482

Will this feature ever be implented? Are there any plans for duels ingame now that more than a year has passed?

There is already a system in the game which allows you to duel and duel with your own friends if you desire.

Where?

Azreell.1568

Where?

“Hey friend.

Yes?

Come join me in the empty room #105 so we can screw around and test specs.

Okay Ill brt."

Dueling has always been available in this game.

On your screen hit the tpvp window and join an empty room. Invite your friend to join that room and whala – let the dueling commence.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Nury.3062

Nury.3062

Dueling is not needed,is just an optional feature.Is true that many players want to duel and is not a bad thing i can gladly accept dueling in an open world arena like the one in black citadel or instanced arena.If you want to duel with your friends i don’t see why would you be against instanced,arenas etc.But usualy the players that duel in open world are dueling to show that they are better than someone else,that leads to verbal abuse many times,trolling etc. and if you say that’s not true,it means you haven’t played that many mmos.

I say NO for open world dueling but YES for instanced/arena dueling.

—-Balthazar Order [Gods]—-
“We are now! We are forever!”

Azreell.1568

Dueling is not needed,is just an optional feature.Is true that many players want to duel and is not a bad thing i can gladly accept dueling in an open world arena like the one in black citadel or instanced arena.If you want to duel with your friends i don’t see why would you be against instanced,arenas etc.But usualy the players that duel in open world are dueling to show that they are better than someone else,that leads to verbal abuse many times,trolling etc. and if you say that’s not true,it means you haven’t played that many mmos.

Am I the only one who understands this mechanic is already in place.?

It just doesn’t have a /duel command and requires you to go into an empty instanced tpvp room and you can duel your heart out.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

It just doesn’t have a /duel command and requires you to go into an empty instanced tpvp room and you can duel your heart out.

No, read my posts.

Scrambles.2604

You shouldn’t have to buy gems to duel. It should be like costume brawls, just a fun little side game to mess around with friends/strangers while you wait to do other things in the open world. If you have to party and port to a whole nother instance to duel, that is not even close to the accessibility modern MMOers have experienced in every other MMO.

It’s also worth mentioning that you DIE in custom pvp. So you die, have to wait to respawn, and find your friend to duel again. Also, you are forced to use the same old pvp maps, as opposed to the vast, interesting, and mostly unused open world environment. And of course, you cannot use your main character, food/buffs etc.

It’s watered down dueling and i don’t know how people can justify this as a great substitute for open world dueling unless they’ve never actually tried it.

Posted by: Beast Sos.1457

Beast Sos.1457

What would making duelling fun in pve is not the fact that you are fighting 1v1 with another player but that you are fighting in the huge open world and you can do thing you wouldnt be able to in spvp. For example, if we could duel in pve we could duel while doing a jumping puzzle, we can duel around a champ, you can duel while fighting Jormag, etc. It is the options that come with duelling in pve which makes it fun not only the fact that you can duel.

Seven Star Stalker.1740

You could also go back to World of Warcraft.

Are you promoting another game in the GW2 forum?

I ? Karkas.

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Whut?

Diablo 2… Walk into game, use party’s tp… Set up own tp… Go back to town and set self to hostile… Destroy everyone.

And no inspect option because it’s no ones business what I have equipped. They can see quite plainly what skins I’m using and that’s more than they should know anyway… I liken the inspect to someone peeking over the wall into the next changing room at a department store, it’s just creepy.

Inspect option has nothing to do with dueling. And Diablo 2.. Good as the game may be, I’d like to think every online game since has improved itself.

I ? Karkas.

Seven Star Stalker.1740

And for people who don’t want to duel there? I would like to think that the vast majority of people into dueling wouldn’t like to duel there, in fact.

I ? Karkas.

uknortherner.2670

What would making duelling fun in pve is not the fact that you are fighting 1v1 with another player but that you are fighting in the huge open world and you can do thing you wouldnt be able to in spvp. For example, if we could duel in pve we could duel while doing a jumping puzzle, we can duel around a champ, you can duel while fighting Jormag, etc. It is the options that come with duelling in pve which makes it fun not only the fact that you can duel.

Not much fun for the people who are trying to do said content whilst putting up with two idiots getting in the way, eh?

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Not much fun for the people who are trying to do said content whilst putting up with two idiots getting in the way, eh?

Edit: I actually wrote something here and it dissappeared but I can’t be bothered to write the whole thing again.

Anyway. Lazy version is you’re getting bothered by things that have largely nothing to do with you.

I ? Karkas.

(edited by Seven Star Stalker.1740)

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Anyway. Lazy version is you’re getting bothered by things that have largely nothing to do with you.

Well, it WILL have something to do with me when it stops me from completing content due to people either scaling it up (in case of World bosses) or making me miss jumps due to flashing lights distracting me.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Well, it WILL have something to do with me when it stops me from completing content due to people either scaling it up (in case of World bosses) or making me miss jumps due to flashing lights distracting me.

You have guesting, you can ask them (Heaven forbid anyone asks for anything) to stop politely. I doubt someone will outright spite you and not move, and even if they did, that just means you should play the bigger-person. Furthermore, given the size of the whole map, and given the remoteness and tediousness associated with Jumping puzzles or the like, what’s the likelihood of actually finding people there? Don’t forget you already have many jumping puzzles with mobs. Don’t they have flashy lights and effects?

And as for scaling, lol.

If you have two people dueling during a world boss (Which I doubt most people would do more than once just because the novelty for these sorts of things would run out fast), and 30 people at the event, I honestly think the duelists are a minor issue compared to all the other people there regardless. Even still, what about AFKers? What about the fact that dueling does them harm? You realize if someone is dueling right under Tequatl or Jormag, they’re making themselves more vulnerable to getting killed, in the case of which you can just not res them?

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Escadin.9482

Escadin.9482

This is extremely far fetched…

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Unbelievable really. The amount of people resorting to the most unrealistic and far fetched reasons to not have duels astounds me.

I think my reasons are actually quite logical.

Assumptions cannot possibly be concrete evidence, no matter how “logical” they seem to you.

Nice try, but my argument still stands.

It’s funny that you try to dismantle my argument even though I did not even oppose duelling.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

Looks like the players who “play how they want”, namely, those running around in yellows with a ridiculously suboptimal build are afraid of a bit of criticism. That’s why they’re so scared of “inspect” and “duel”.

However, to the rest of us who are serious about clearing content, this would be a godsend. No more special snowflakes ruining world boss events and dungeons.

Looks like the players who “play how they want”, namely, those running around in yellows with a ridiculously suboptimal build are afraid of a bit of criticism. That’s why they’re so scared of “inspect” and “duel”.

However, to the rest of us who are serious about clearing content, this would be a godsend. No more special snowflakes ruining world boss events and dungeons.

I’m curious, how exactly would you keep people with buils you don’t like suboptimal builds from participating in world boss events?

~Sincerely, Scissors

Dark Catalyst.1028

I’m curious, how exactly would you keep people with buils you don’t like suboptimal builds from participating in world boss events?

Call outs. People need to learn that these events require cooperation which means gearing and traiting correctly.

uknortherner.2670

No, players who play how they want are doing exactly what Anet had envisioned. Your post pretty much sums up why some in the pro-duel/inspect camp can be safely ignored.

If you want a game that’s a total gankfest, then go and play one. GW2 isn’t for you.

Dark Catalyst.1028

No, players who play how they want are doing exactly what Anet had envisioned. Your post pretty much sums up why some in the pro-duel/inspect camp can be safely ignored.

If you want a game that’s a total gankfest, then go and play one. GW2 isn’t for you.

How is dueling going to create a gankfest? Don’t want to duel? Then don’t. Let OTHER people play how they want to play.

I really don’t get it. People complain about shallow, zergy content but that’s what you’re going to get if you let people be special snowflakes and do what they want instead of requiring some semblance of teamwork. I guess that’s too “elitist”.

Beast Sos.1457

How does 2 people duelling get in the way of others? In a jp there is no body block, during a champ fight, if anything, they would help by taking aggro and doing dmg to it, and for events like Jormag I see no way they can get in they way.

If 2 people want to duel that makes them idiots?

(edited by Moderator)

Beast Sos.1457

2 people wont scale up a event to the point you cant do it. For your flashing problem, I can say take out the partical effects from the game because when I fight a world boss I cant see the aoe circles so I dont know when to dodge and ill die. If 2 people fighting in a jp will seriously affect your completion of it then you need to practice on your jumping.

Call outs. People need to learn that these events require cooperation which means gearing and traiting correctly.

So basically, if Inspect gets implemented, you will tell people in chat how much their build sucks. That’s exactly the reason this game has no Inspect.

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

I fully agree.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

uknortherner.2670

How does 2 people duelling get in the way of others? In a jp there is no body block, during a champ fight, if anything, they would help by taking aggro and doing dmg to it, and for events like Jormag I see no way they can get in they way.

If 2 people want to duel that makes them idiots?

How do you think? Take a pick from endless particle spam littering the screen, endless duel request spam (unless Anet actually include an auto-decline option) or the way the game factors all players within the vicinity of a champ boss when scaling the boss, not who’s actually landing hits on them.

Two people wanting to duel doesn’t make them idiots. Two people choosing to duel around jumping puzzles effectively reducing visibility for those of us who want to actually do the JP, Tequatl (and taking valuable slots away from people who actually want to play the event) or Lion’s Arch during big events makes them idiots.