Dueling, where is it?

Dueling, where is it?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

it doesn’t help that starter areas are the places you find the people with the least invested in the game, thus they’re more likely to mess with players that are seemingly more invested in the game.

As in, “i just started playing [insert game], my friend just came over to check it out and made a new character. He has no plans on playing this character past this moment, so he just walks around and trolls others.”

To be fair, i don’t think you can cite one zone in WoW and generalize it to the entirety of GW2, especially when GW2 is far more accessible and far less competitive than WoW. On top of that, i would like to imagine that once duels were implemented, there would also be a ignore/block system that would disable duel request. But we know nothing at this point so it’s anyone’s guess….my guess is just loaded with optimism and observations about the current state of the game.

On that server (Norgannon), for alliance, Goldshire was were everyone went to duel. (Apparently priot to Cata, everyone hung out in Ironforge, then after they all migrated to Stormwind) I rarely saw it anywhere else in the game. (Can’t speak for the horde side, I didn’t play horde). Maybe it wouldn’t bother anyone else, but when a lvl 85 death knight is spamming a lvl 10 for duels, he isn’t doing it for any other reason than to be a kitten. And then when you turn him down and politely tell him you’re not interested, he turns around and kills every murloc in the vicinity, which you need to kill for the stupid quest… you get a little annoyed.

This is just one example of dozens I could give, in only 7 months of play.

We see some of this crap in GW2 already, where higher level players treat lower levels like crap simply because they can. We see it with the LFG tool. We see it with the champ trains (especially in QD, saw it just last night and had to jump in to defend the person that had only just started playing in the last 24 hours). Such things could give new players a reason to put the game down.

You also have higher players griefing other higher players, because they choose trait line ‘y’ over ‘x’, or stat ‘y’ over ‘x’, or because they prefer one weapon over the supposedly ‘optimal’ weapon for their class.

The list goes on, and on, and on. The issues are there, they exist, and in many cases are the rule not the exception. Which is very very sad, because it says a lot about society as a whole.

It’s all well and good to be positive. I’m glad your experiences have been positive; not everyone is that lucky though.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

Colin johanson did mention it on this video interview with Matt Visual.
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/85152-video-interview-pax-with-colin-johanson/

Oh god no!
Lets just hope he lied about it like they do for so many other things. The day the have open world dueling is the day I uninstall the game and find something else to do.

Umm… why such a harsh negative reaction?

It’s been discussed to death in so many other threads so I am not going to get in to the details again, but suffice it to say the players who insist on doing open world dueling are the worst kind of player in any game and end up ruining any kind of play experience for non pvpers. You can see it now with the costume brawl. They will have a whole map to do their thing in yet they will choose to do it right on top of other players. I play games to have fun and relax. GW has always been able to offer both. Once it no longer does there is no reason to keep playing and no reason to keep it installed.

With a post like this I think you are probably worse than the legions of evil griefing duelers you think exist. What a narrow minded view that you refuse to allow a feature based on a few bad apples. I guess we shouldn’t add any more content like Tequatl because that brings out not only grriefers to sit on turrets but also PvE elitists that harass people just as much if not more. I’ve run into more PvE players that ruin the PvE experience, especially in dungeons here, that clearly we should only develop single player content and instance it. I mean party invites can lead to griefing right? So we shouldn’t have that feature either. I’ve seen plenty of people here complaining about being harassed due to their gear, spec, or class and even worse they were getting kicked from the group right before the final boss/chest. Almost every aspect of any game can be griefed in one way or another, not adding a feature because of the fear a griefer might exploit it is just letting griefers win.

The simple truth here is you refuse to accept that there are solutions to the issues you bring up. Heck those solutions were even in WoW but somehow you refused to use them. If someone is spamming mapchat or duel requests to harass you, /ignore griefername. BOOM no more mapchat spam and all duels are declined. You could also take it 1 step further and just report them for harassment if you really wanted to. ArenaNet can even expand this system and add a decline all duels feature so those that are solely against it don’t ever even have to see the duel request box.

I would LOVE to be able to duel my friends while waiting for a dragon or other event to pop. Plus it would be awesome for helping to work out a new spec. “Join SPvP arena you say”, well the gear/abilities aren’t the same there and it removes me from the game world. “Go to WvW” well this doesn’t solve the issue at all. I want to duel with my friends and discuss the results, so unless you’re footing the bill for constant server transfers this doesn’t solve anything. “Only have dueling in Arena’s” again dueling is something that also helps solve boredom while waiting around for things to happen.

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: Desperation.6743

Desperation.6743

I hope, they will add duel option in the new expansion.

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Bloody necromancers.

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Still do not want.
dead horse.gif

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

Other than map completion and Char storyline, the arena in BC is pretty much unused. If dueling was limited to that one location, it would do well to accommodate those who want it while being sufficiently enough out of the way for those who don’t want it.

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

if you’re looking for a duel system, it’s in the other hundreds of MMO’s already out there.
if you want it in GW2, we have 2 places for them and both specifically made for PvP.
if you want it in GW2 but in the PvE world, tough luck buddy because it’s not gonna happen.

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

It’s already been stated by a Dev that they would like to add it. So, ah, tough luck but it’s gonna happen.

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

It’s already been stated by a Dev that they would like to add it. So, ah, tough luck but it’s gonna happen.

in some form or another, they never said specifically it’s gonna be a world wide duel system.
it can just as much be in an arena, that’s a form.
btw, they said that back in 2013, it’s 2015, things change.

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Sure, let’s necro a 16 month old thread because someone won’t take a hint when the after thread on the subject was closed.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

They were not going to stick to the living story and not make an expansion too.

I hope it never arrives.

SBI

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

At anyone looking for discussions on dueling/open world PvP

There have been many threads on the dueling since launch. Most of them get closed due to people getting into heated arguments and such topics are rarely constructive.

Enter this into your favorite search engine and you’ll see tons of results. All asking for dueling in GW2. And almost all of them are met with the same responses.

site:forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum duels

(you can also change duels for open world pvp, dueling, etc. to find many more on the exact same subject.)

Please close this thread as there is nothing new to add to the topic, and Anet, and the players, have made themselves clear on where dueling stands in GW2. Thanks!!

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

(edited by pdavis.8031)

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Dueling isn’t fair IMHO, as in PvE you’ll be using food, have full availability to get armor in any stat combo people are using rares/exotics/ascendeds. Some ppl do not use underwater weapons, you’ll have stacks from defeating spawns and such…..

Someone could have an ally pre buff him, or use a stat increase, be helped by allies, and so on. It isn’t balanced and It will only prove some people should have been in WvW/PvP but were unable to figure out how….

I’ll be honest and say PvP shouldnt be done in WvW as well I’m annoyed by GvG players destroying tick and filling up maps contributing nothing to the server, often ignoring bloodlust as well…

So dueling and PvP are the same IMHO so please go to PvP to enjoy it.

Please close this thread as we had several before it and this subject has too much southpark elements….To be taken serious OR to be taken into account.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

You have custom arena’s for dueling.
They added this to appease the masses

Plenty of dueling arena games open also.

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I don’t care if they add dueling, so long as they also add a way to turn off dueling invites in the options panel.

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

Wow, is this thread really necro’ed from 16 months ago?

There are 3 Game modes in GW2

PvP is in the:

• PvP Game mode
  • WvW Game mode
  • But Not the PvE Game mode

Can’t we who don’t like PvP keep at least one Game mode without PvP please?

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: SirWarriant.2319

SirWarriant.2319

99% of pve content would be duel free, people would what be sitting outside of a fee cities sparring. I don’t see how that even remotely affects you doing world bosses or sitting there waiting for the LFG to pop up. There are multiple gladiator arenas in the game that just go to waste, why not open those up to duelling as sort of a mini game. Duelling kills time, it’s a fun way to mess around with your friends and fight some people without having to worry about people interrupting it and so on. Please elaborate on how a few people which would most likely be in one spot would hinder your pve or ruin the experience for you in anyway shape or form.

Ullr Thorgislwulf: 80 Ranger Yaks Bend sPvP & WvW
Eladan of Greenwood: 80 Ranger
Elemir Swiftblade: 80 Thief

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

99% of pve content would be duel free, people would what be sitting outside of a fee cities sparring. I don’t see how that even remotely affects you doing world bosses or sitting there waiting for the LFG to pop up. There are multiple gladiator arenas in the game that just go to waste, why not open those up to duelling as sort of a mini game. Duelling kills time, it’s a fun way to mess around with your friends and fight some people without having to worry about people interrupting it and so on. Please elaborate on how a few people which would most likely be in one spot would hinder your pve or ruin the experience for you in anyway shape or form.

Its been said a million times before, but…

In an open world PvP server the option is that PvP is simply there, which means there is a greater than normal chance it won’t just be some guys trying to pass the time. It means griefing and ganking low level players “for fun”. If dueling was the option then there would be harassment in the way of request spamming or, if on a toggle, whisper taunting of individuals. About the only version of PvP in PvE i can get behind are those arena type areas like at the BC. Mark the area as a zone so when you cross into it, every player has their flag shifted to be an enemy and then let those people work out how they want to duel. People can stay atop and watch if they so choose and the world can keep turning.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: SirWarriant.2319

SirWarriant.2319

Its been said a million times before, but…

In an open world PvP server the option is that PvP is simply there, which means there is a greater than normal chance it won’t just be some guys trying to pass the time. It means griefing and ganking low level players “for fun”. If dueling was the option then there would be harassment in the way of request spamming or, if on a toggle, whisper taunting of individuals. About the only version of PvP in PvE i can get behind are those arena type areas like at the BC. Mark the area as a zone so when you cross into it, every player has their flag shifted to be an enemy and then let those people work out how they want to duel. People can stay atop and watch if they so choose and the world can keep turning.

So do what LotRO does with duel requests, give you the option to automatically decline them, they never show up and you don’t even know someone sent you one. If you don’t want to duel walk away from the area people are duelling or just say your watching. It’s pretty simple and that’s a stupid reason to not include it. Implying that spam messages don’t happen in other game modes is stupid you are completely ignorant if you think only duelling causes this. I’ve gotten hate spam in pvp, i’ve gotten random spam in pve etc.

Ullr Thorgislwulf: 80 Ranger Yaks Bend sPvP & WvW
Eladan of Greenwood: 80 Ranger
Elemir Swiftblade: 80 Thief

(edited by SirWarriant.2319)

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Couldn’t find old topic, but I know of a lot of people that want this put ingame. So why isn’t it here yet?

Alot of people do not want this put in game.
Last thread i responded in i tallied up the responses and the forums are a small portion of the player base, but here you go

63 against no exception.
21 against dueling unless its in specific areas where nobody sees it, and you dont have to take part unless you go into those areas.
32 for dueling.
8 for open world pvp(Not what the thread was about)
19 non specific answers

So those are the results, and even among the small population of the forum the people who dont want it, were the majority. Note im among the ones who are against dueling unless its implemented in a specific area where nobody sees it, and you dont have to take part unless you run into those areas. Those areas would be clearly marked and a warning would be displayed.

And stop necroing these threads for crying out loud.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Couldn’t find old topic, but I know of a lot of people that want this put ingame. So why isn’t it here yet?

So one thread just ends and you start another??? GG….

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Hopefully off the table, because it’s one of the worst ideas in any MMORPG. The community needs to be less focused on 1v1 performance, not given tools to support it.

The game already discourages 1v1 a lot, so hopefully the devs stay the course.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

Dueling has been asked for since the days of GW1, still hasn’t happened. And for good reason.

As this game is also fairly pvp oriented you will always have the buttheads who will want to show off who has the biggest sword (or compensating for a lack of one more rather) by challenging anyone and everyone to a duel, and will harass players who refuse or who lose.

By not adding in duels, they delete this kind of occasional headache and allow the GM’s to attend to more important matters than banning that someone who went too far.

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Custom arenas or WvW for dueling

Thats not possible in WvW cause of enemy players who wont just stand and watch you dueling,instead they kill you.Custom arenas forcing you to play with pvp gear so thats not an option ether.We want pvp with our PVE gear,without enemy players killing us wile dueling.Also i want to duel my friend.

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Dueling has been asked for since the days of GW1, still hasn’t happened. And for good reason.

As this game is also fairly pvp oriented you will always have the buttheads who will want to show off who has the biggest sword (or compensating for a lack of one more rather) by challenging anyone and everyone to a duel, and will harass players who refuse or who lose.

By not adding in duels, they delete this kind of occasional headache and allow the GM’s to attend to more important matters than banning that someone who went too far.

In all fairness – and that coming from someone who really does not see dueling fit in well with the majority of GW2´s playerbase – then Anet should step up and either say dueling will never be a thing in here or it is not off the table in the future. Same with mounts for that matter.

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

As long as they have a designated area that you can duel and it is something you can toggle to automatically decline them, then I have no problem with dueling.

What I don’t want to see is Divinity’s Reach, LA, Grove, etc. cluttered with a bunch of combat animations and sound effects from tons of duels taking place all in the same spot. I also don’t want to be able to have people randomly walk up to me and challenge me to a duel, so that I have to now click some Decline button. I’ve been in games where someone spams that over and over until I simply had to leave the area.

So as long as those two scenarios aren’t possible, then who really cares.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

As long as they have a designated area that you can duel and it is something you can toggle to automatically decline them, then I have no problem with dueling.

What I don’t want to see is Divinity’s Reach, LA, Grove, etc. cluttered with a bunch of combat animations and sound effects from tons of duels taking place all in the same spot. I also don’t want to be able to have people randomly walk up to me and challenge me to a duel, so that I have to now click some Decline button. I’ve been in games where someone spams that over and over until I simply had to leave the area.

There is also the whisper spam too. Declining a duel might lead some immature idiot to start sending duel requests in whisper. I know you can block those, but it’s an extra hassle that I currently don’t have

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Anet doesn’t want to add it.
Quite a bunch of players don’t want it either.
It has low priority.
It’s still in work.

Pick one.

Colin said in an interview that he would like to see dueling implemented into the game.

That leaves only the bottom two.

:)

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

There is also the whisper spam too. Declining a duel might lead some immature idiot to start sending duel requests in whisper. I know you can block those, but it’s an extra hassle that I currently don’t have

True, didn’t even think of that. Easiest solution would be to have a special designated arena out somewhere. As long as I’m not just standing around that arena, I will likely not get whisper spammed. The people spamming would likely be spamming others at the arena location. That’s why it’s very important that dueling not be allowed wherever and whenever. Needs to be at a specific spot, away from the population.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Wildstar has open world dueling and I hear it is doing well. /sarcasm

I’ll see myself out….

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Can’t see the problem. Just make certain “dead” areas in this game duel spots. Give us an option to auto decline duel invites so you wont even notice someone trying to duel you. And when people start to troll and flame ( something they would do on other stuff already) simply use your block/ignore button. People who dont like to duel wont have to simple as that.

I for one would like to duel my guildies and custom arenas are not the answer to that cause i mainy play WvW with them and the builds in Spvp are very restricted.

Haters gonna hate anyway.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: hildegain.2106

hildegain.2106

Anet doesn’t want to add it.

Like a shop not wanting to sell anything, I guess.

Quite a bunch of players don’t want it either.

Quite a bunch of players demanded it from day one.

It has low priority.

Not what they said at launch… I’m pretty sure I remember it being only months away back then. This game has been out for years, so far we’ve seen kitten all in terms of actual content. The Living Story has been a joke and we still have to wait til the end of the year and an expansion for new PvP modes, it’s a joke.

It’s still in work.

Not at all.

Pick one.

Actually none of the above. The actual system for duelling was implemented at the cost of having a private arena for subscription on a monthly basis. GG!

So in short, we won’t likely see a duelling system implemented because it would probably cut into Arenanet’s sweet gem income.

So:

Stupid.
Greedy.
Lazy.

Pick one.

I’ll see myself out….

Sure, wildstar. The only MMO out there today with open world duelling. I think your comment speaks for itself.

Dueling, where is it?

Tommyknocker.6089

I’ll see myself out….

Sure, wildstar. The only MMO out there today with open world duelling. I think your comment speaks for itself.

Actually my point was that if you want to kill the true PvE crowd just add in open world dueling, hence the Wildstar reference. There are many games that offer open world grieving, sorry I mean dueling, so why should we have it here? I for one would leave this game, regrettably after 3000+ hours if they added it, as I am sure would many others.

Edit to add: the answer is probably greed, but then again I won’t blame them for not hurting their bottom line, as I enjoy the freedom of adventuring without being bothered by certain players.

(edited by Tommyknocker.6089)

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: Desperation.6743

Desperation.6743

Duel option won’t bring any harm into the game. Don’t see any reason why we still don’t have it. And I’m pretty sure that most people want duel option. At least we all would have fun

Dueling, where is it?

Tommyknocker.6089

Duel option won’t bring any harm into the game (IMO). (I) Don’t see any reason why we still don’t have it. And I’m pretty sure that (some) people want duel option. At least (all those remaining) would have fun

FTFY

edit: clarity

(edited by Tommyknocker.6089)

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Duel option won’t bring any harm into the game. Don’t see any reason why we still don’t have it. And I’m pretty sure that most people want duel option. At least we all would have fun

63 against no exception.
21 against dueling unless its in specific areas where nobody sees it, and you dont have to take part unless you go into those areas.
32 for dueling.
8 for open world pvp(Not what the thread was about)
19 non specific answers

Most people dont want this. sorry. And this is just from a small sample, from the last thread, that got deleted.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: Cash.2385

Cash.2385

Please add this…

Dueling, where is it?

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

One reason I could easily think of: The balance isn’t meant to provide for 1v1 situations (it clearly isn’t, actually). The devs don’t want to give the false impression, via supporting a 1v1 format, that these situations are in any way, shape or form relevant to balance input or balance changes.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.