Easiest Overall Profession

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: damianlxl.3621

damianlxl.3621

I really hope this won’t devolve into a mass of people snarling at how OP x is or how bad y is, so let me state:

I am pretty bad at this game and having a hard time just completing personal story and basic pve questing.

With that in mind, what is the general consensus on all around easiest profession to learn with that is still viable in dungeons endgame. I don’t really pvp at all, so that isn’t a concern to me.

Posted by: Esturk.2183

Esturk.2183

Warrior I’d say

Posted by: Sin.8174

Sin.8174

Guardian or Warrior. Easy mode!

Orphyn X – 8X Thief – Tarnished Coast
Lady Raevyn – 11 Necromancer – TC
Fanboy- The New Godwin’s Law.

Posted by: Yashimata.2986

Yashimata.2986

Definitely warrior.

Posted by: Dante.3754

Dante.3754

Gaurdian and Warrior are very forgiving professions thanks to high base armor(and vitatilty for warrior). When it comes to dungeons they are both good but more so for the Gaurdian who are probably one of the best at support.

Posted by: DUAxWolff.2759

DUAxWolff.2759

Ranger is really easy as well. Built in tank if you have a bear pet plus they have good range DPS with Longbow and good melee with Sword/Dagger.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

A warrior would be your overall easiest IMO. Now being able to walk over enemies is no indication of easy mode though, no matter the profession you will NEED to learn that avoidance (dodging and kiting) will give you much more bang for your buck.

damianlxl.3621

The two I have played thus far are necromancer and engineer, and the difficulty curve was very similar: for the first 20 levels I felt very weak and was usually in panic trying to just stay alive, then after 30 I started feeling like I understood what was happening, but by 60 it was getting frustrating and I was dying more than I like (which is to say, at all)

Occasionally I think that it isn’t really the profession and it is just the game being too difficult for me because I have no sense of timing or strategy, and no understanding of synergy etc.

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

All professions are equally faceroll imo but I don’t think anything quite compares to a ranger with shortbow just spamming 1 and profit lulz

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: Creature.4038

Creature.4038

Warrior or guardian definetely, way to easy in my opinion i dont like playing them at all

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

Warrior is best for kill speed and has great self-survival and group utility.

Ranger is easy to play, but is low dps in dungeon groups.

Posted by: Pochibella.8394

Pochibella.8394

A ranger pet can easily get you killed in a dungeon as well. They run ahead of you, won’t stay stowed when you tell them to…

All of the classes are “easy”. For solo leveling and endgame dungeoing I would say guardian or warrior.

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

Warrior is the easiest proffesion, especially with the skill Endure Pain.

Hardest proffesion probably is Elementalist.

Weakest proffesion is Ranger, but we’ll see after patch.

Posted by: Fritz.5026

Fritz.5026

i would say thief.

you can go to the thief forum right now and see a p/p video where all the guy does is spam 3-3-3-3 and he still does well.

it doesnt get much easier than that.

Posted by: Minus.3478

Minus.3478

This is just my opinion.

For 1-79 leveling my warrior was much easier than the elementalist. At 80 the elementalist just pulls way ahead of the warrior due to superior utility skills and basicly the option to bunker build. Once you figure out how the skills work, the ele can just rip through content, be a wonderful asset to any group, and a very respectable soloer.

Posted by: Alberel Leonhart.9640

Alberel Leonhart.9640

Roll a warrior, equip a greatsword, press 2.

100 blades is literally a one shot kill for most mobs for quite a while into the game, and their 5-signet build is effectively god mode until it starts to balance out later on.

ANet apparently wanted them to be the ‘easier’ profession which they certainly managed, though I still think they went a bit overboard. In PvP they’re not so bad as players can and will dodge, but in PvE they’re stupidly overpowered.

Posted by: Joey.3928

Joey.3928

I would say a ranger is NOT really best for a beginner. It requires a lot of attention to be put on your pet.

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger
Hardcorepwnograhpy [HARD] | Isle of Janthir

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

I have a couple of 80s but I made a ranger that’s level 20 now and so far it’s easier than any other class I played, including warrior and guardian.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

damianlxl.3621

i would say thief.

you can go to the thief forum right now and see a p/p video where all the guy does is spam 3-3-3-3 and he still does well.

I have also heard however that thief dies really fast if you are not paying attention.

I do like the medium armor aesthetic best; but I am apprehensive to play a really twitch class when I am already having a hard time keeping up with the pace of the game.

Posted by: Panzen.4625

Panzen.4625

There is a reason all the bots are rangers.

Though a ranger can also mess up a lot in group play… but that is nothing new, pet classes have been like that since like forever.

Posted by: Plague.5329

Plague.5329

Depends. PvE? Warrior. PvP? Thief. If you try to play Thief in PvE you will probably have some problems. If you try to play Warrior in PvP, hope you like being kitten

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

I’d say it depends on the person. But overall I would think Warrior or Guardian if you want to be incredibly durable, and both have a very wide range of abilities and builds you can do.

Sin.8174

i would say thief.

I have also heard however that thief dies really fast if you are not paying attention.

I do like the medium armor aesthetic best; but I am apprehensive to play a really twitch class when I am already having a hard time keeping up with the pace of the game.

Fritz does not play a thief, guarenteed. he’s the type that sees a ‘Cheese’ PvE/PvP thief video and screams NERF.

If you are a beginner, stay away from thief until you get comfortable with the dodge commands. Thief gameplay is one that’s constantly on the move, about situational awareness, and yes, they have lower survivability than most when it comes to armor.

However, there are some nice skills that help with survivability in PvE. We have a variety of invisibility inducing skills that can be chained together as long as we stay out of combat. (Makes it nice for bypassing some tough, clustered areas)

We also have amny tools for a quick escape when we’re about to be wtfpwned by a big monster. However, using these skills appropriately, managing initiaive, and knowing monster animations is a big part in whether or not you’ll survive.

Once mastered however, thief is a blast to play.

Fritz.5026

i would say thief.

Fritz does not play a thief, guarenteed. he’s the type that sees a ‘Cheese’ PvE/PvP thief video and screams NERF.

If you are a beginner, stay away from thief until you get comfortable with the dodge commands. Thief gameplay is one that’s constantly on the move, about situational awareness, and yes, they have lower survivability than most when it comes to armor.

However, there are some nice skills that help with survivability in PvE. We have a variety of invisibility inducing skills that can be chained together as long as we stay out of combat. (Makes it nice for bypassing some tough, clustered areas)

We also have amny tools for a quick escape when we’re about to be wtfpwned by a big monster. However, using these skills appropriately, managing initiaive, and knowing monster animations is a big part in whether or not you’ll survive.

Once mastered however, thief is a blast to play.

sin is the type who likes to make things sound more dramatic than they really are, guaranteed.

every class has to dodge and stay on the move, it is not unique to the thief class, not even a little bit.

it just happens that thieves can spam 1 button for their damage rotation while everyone else has to use multiple skills for their damage rotation.

everyone uses 1 heal, 3 utilities, and 1 elite.

most classes also need to use 5 attack skills, except thieves who can get by spamming 1 button.

logically this makes the thief the easiest to play.

Sin.8174

Point proven.

You know nothing about the class that you’re bashing.

I have multiple classes. Warriors do not need to move as much. Nor do guardians lol...

I play D/D thief and no, I can’t just spam ’1’ unless I want to sit there all day trying to down something. You actually have to move around a mob, especially when trying to land backstabs.

We also use our utilities and heals just like everyone else.

Take your personal hate for the class to the thief forums like everyone else, and stop spreading misinformation to people asking for help.

damianlxl.3621

So to mediate here thief uses less moves (apparently) with a greater importance on timing. So its not what you press but when you press it and where you are in relation to your target.

Engineer also has the same armor and can’t really take much punishment. I really love the control of rifle, but I have not figured out a way to do damage with it, or any of the kits. Heard great things about grenade/bomb but using it solo just gets me killed because I really have no idea how to kite (outside of net shot and overcharge shot)

The other thing is… I really dislike having to kite in the first place. Maybe this is just my experience playing less demanding games, but there isn’t anything fun about playing keep away while I slowly tick away at an enemies health.

Maybe I just want this to be a hack-n-slash game and it just isn’t happening.

Posted by: CtrlAltDel.5309

CtrlAltDel.5309

PvE wise Warrior and Gaurdian are probably the easiest. Fairly straight forward and can do a lot of damage/buff with little effort.

Engineer and Elementalist are probably the hardest. You have to do a ton of switching of kits/elements depending on the situation and the best DPS build for Eng w/grenades is fairly complicated to use on the move. Although Eng grenade spam underwater is fairly OP.

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

Ranger with bear pets is solid for everything.

Guardian or Warrior. Easy mode!

Agreed for solo PvE.

Not so much so for instanced grouping unless you wanna avoid melee which is pretty silly if you play a warror and/or guardian.

Sin.8174

PvE wise Warrior and Gaurdian are probably the easiest. Fairly straight forward and can do a lot of damage/buff with little effort.

Engineer and Elementalist are probably the hardest. You have to do a ton of switching of kits/elements depending on the situation and the best DPS build for Eng w/grenades is fairly complicated to use on the move. Although Eng grenade spam underwater is fairly OP.

Ele’s are a pain >.<

I started one, but quickly moved onto a necromancer. LOL Will probably revisit Elementalist and Engineer at a later time, when I can sit back and focus on their plethora of abilities.

Sin.8174

How is spamming 2 even viable?!?

It’s not. Not even close to viable in PvE...

Dude. Seriously. Stop spreading false facts.

Fritz.5026

How is spamming 2 even viable?!?

It’s not. Not even close to viable in PvE…

Dude. Seriously. Stop spreading false facts.

whatever you say chief. i mean its not like its been a successfully used tactic for months now by many players or anything, lol.

you can go to youtube right now and pull up multiple videos where spamming #2 is the main tactic when a thief is using d/d. I just watched a video last night of a thief who used shortbow and when anything got close went d/d and spammed #2 with every bit of initiative they had. they did fairly well and thought they were a skilled player.

dont let those little things like facts get in the way of pretending its not real though.

Sin.8174

Just did a search on youtube called ’heartseeker spam’.

Every video is 1+ months old, (aside from ONE video). Thus, is was BEFORE the nerf to HS.

HS spam worked on bad pvp players who were glass cannons or didn’t know a thing about dodging or timing. Now? it’s a laughable tactic.

Your facts are lies... -.-

I’m done arguing.

Fritz.5026

HS spam worked on bad pvp players who were glass cannons or didn’t know a thing about dodging or timing. Now? it’s a laughable tactic.

wait.

were you not earlier saying that only thieves had to know about dodging and timing?

i thought other classes were exempt from needing these skills from your statements.

you are just contradicting yourself at this point.

Posted by: Sir Morgan Malory.2069

Sir Morgan Malory.2069

For PvE soloist.
God Mod – 1. Warriors
Overpowered – 2. Rangers
– 3.Guardian
Properly balance – 4.Necromaner
– 5. Thief
– 6. Mesmer
Underpowered – 7. Elementalist
– 8. Engineer

If you want to play a melee character, both Warrior and Guardians are a good choice. If you want to play a ranged attacker Rangers are the only good choice. If you want to play a caster… play a different game.

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

If u dont pvp at all, u struggle to complete ur story quests and u like dungeons and pve, just go for the warrior. But beware, it is really boring. Effective, but borring.

Fritz.5026

I just wonder how many people who keep acting like warrior is god mode actually play a warrior. The warrior I made was certainly effective, I am not arguing that, but when I had him oriented to do damage so I could kill things quickly I also died pretty easily. I just never felt like I had this ‘god mode’ people speak of which is what confuses me.

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

Leveling is about killing stuff fast and dodging the lethal blows. Now warrior can do this good. Now can I have a question on u – ever tried to lvl elementalist or necromancer? Try, and u will apriciate ur warrior, pve wise.

Guardian is also good.

Posted by: Raven Paradox.1860

Raven Paradox.1860

Guardian is pretty easy but boring and slow. They’re best used as a defensive character, so leveling one was a PAIN IN THE BUTT.

Thief is somewhat easy, but not in the personal story if going solo. Ranger is pretty easy.

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

A warrior would be your overall easiest IMO. Now being able to walk over enemies is no indication of easy mode though, no matter the profession you will NEED to learn that avoidance (dodging and kiting) will give you much more bang for your buck.

I agree, there’s a lot to be said for experience in spvp to show what you do and don’t know and need to work on…

We need more tutorials in this game, that’s for sure.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Posted by: LuckyLuke.9046

LuckyLuke.9046

i would say thief.

L2P mate….Not all guys spam 3 3 3 3 just dont see video take a thief and playit to learn how op or not are.
btw its the second skill tha u see in videos 2 2 2 2:)

Tsoulaki-lvl 80 thief

Posted by: Zinthros.6589

Zinthros.6589

Warrior. Not even a competition.

Varamyr Langkron / Kirk Vandergrift
Commander on Tarnished Coast [RE]
Greatsword Ranger before it was cool

Posted by: sixfeetunder.6508

sixfeetunder.6508

want easy mode level a warrior.

Greatsword/rifel hands down mows them over.

tons of life even if u dont spend into traits and just look at their skills lol..insane what they can do.

Posted by: Kraven.4936

Kraven.4936

Why is this in general discussion? Move this topic to the warrior forums.

Posted by: sixfeetunder.6508

sixfeetunder.6508

Why is this in general discussion? Move this topic to the warrior forums.

if you read the tittle he is asking about proffessions..not just a single one but them all.

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

I would say engineers, grenade spam so hard.

Posted by: Katsumoto.9452

Katsumoto.9452

Easily Warriors for PvE.

Invulnerability
High armour
High health
Hardly any targeted abilities
Not as position oriented as say, a Thief
High damage

They have a lot going for them in PvE. Huge damage on greatsword and such and like I said, you don’t have to target 90% of your abilities. Problem is it gets boring.

Aurora Glade [EU]

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

Do you want to easily win at PvP and PvE with the most overpowered class? That’s a no brainer… roll a Warrior. Also they will never get nerfed. Ever.

Posted by: Wilky.7521

Wilky.7521

I really hope this won’t devolve into a mass of people snarling at how OP x is or how bad y is, so let me state:

I am pretty bad at this game and having a hard time just completing personal story and basic pve questing.

With that in mind, what is the general consensus on all around easiest profession to learn with that is still viable in dungeons endgame. I don’t really pvp at all, so that isn’t a concern to me.

Signet 2h Sword warrior – you don’t have to cast your heal or any utility skills. You AE well, have some movement skills to run, and do massive damage.

Posted by: Alexander Dragonfang.1759

Alexander Dragonfang.1759

Warrior is as easy as the user can make it be.

Playing a warrior PROPERLY in PvE being a usefull character for everyone and still autosuficient requieres a LOT more effort and THINKING.

But most Warriors players goes all brainless bandwagon signet hurr durr build and thats it, we are, a braindead proffession just cause 1 build that everyone use, above all, is the most unrewarding and booring way to play a warrior.

Try banners kittendamnit

Posted by: Merthax.5172

Merthax.5172

Do you want to easily win at PvP and PvE with the most overpowered class? That’s a no brainer… roll a Warrior. Also they will never get nerfed. Ever.

Really, are warrior’s considered overpowered now?

Maybe in PvE, but I keep hearing how terribad they are in PvP.