Ecto drop nerfed or is it just me?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Yarrmor.8406

Yarrmor.8406

Q:

I’m using the BLSK for ectos and normally I would have around 1 salv : 1.3-1.5 ectos. But now I’m getting 1:0.5… And looking at the ecto price the last few days, it seems I’m not the only one. Anyone knows something about this… stealth nerf… or did I just miss something?

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

A:

Nothing about ecto drop rates has changed what so ever, we’d make sure to call this out if it was changed.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

BLK seem useless nowadays, it feels like they don’t give as many as they used to. I used to always get at least one in the several stacks of BLK I’ve used in the past. Now I get 0 so often that I stopped using them.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Foxgloved.3029

Foxgloved.3029

Noticed this also. Nice work Anet.

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

i dunno about you but i got 10 ectos salvaging 4 items lol .

maybe MF affects it as i ate a Omnomberry bar before salvaging

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Ecto rate has always been .95 for rares, if you were getting more than that the RNG gods were smiling upon you.

Seems pretty random to me. Best run was 7 in a row with 1 or 2 ectos, worst was 6 in a row with zero.

Posted by: Sowin.5187

Sowin.5187

I salvaged several hundred rares over the weekend using only BLK. Not only was the ecto rate averaging <1 per, probably 10% of the salvages using BLK didn’t produce anything. I thought I would at least get some type of crafting material.

Posted by: Dradiin.8935

Dradiin.8935

I would test it with full MF gear on…. that seems to be a difference, i refuse to wear my MF gear in grps anymore but i swap it on when i decide to do some savaging of rares/exotics.

Posted by: DieQuex.4096

DieQuex.4096

Don’t use MF at all and it’s been the same for me.

Yarrmor.8406

i dunno about you but i got 10 ectos salvaging 4 items lol .

maybe MF affects it as i ate a Omnomberry bar before salvaging

No, I have around 155% MF all the time… doubt it that it’s related to it.

Maybe the fortune lady’s gone to someone else. I used to get 3 ectos out of 1 salv more often than I’d get 1 out of it. And I got more often 1 out of it, than 0. Also, I rarely get 2 out of 1 salv. Done like 250 salvs with BLSK already, and I think I got like 3 or 4 times 2 ectos xD

(edited by Yarrmor.8406)

Posted by: Midnightjade.3520

Midnightjade.3520

I was really lucky yesterday, salvaged 2 rares with BLSK and ended up with 5 ectos (3 and 2).

I was kicking myself thinking I should have been doing this all along – am in the middle of Legendary quest and will need a ton of them. Now I’m wondering if it’s more productive to sell rares that sell for equal to or more than ecto price, and then buy ectos, or salvage the rares hoping for an average of >1 ecto net.

Onyx: Norn Guardian 80. Queen in Tatters: Asura Mesmer 80.
[The Flameseeker Prophecies] 4/11/13
Itinerant, no guild.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I find it hilarious that we always get these kinds of posts after someone gets 0 ectos after a few salvages.

No, there was no stealth nerf. Some days you win, some days you lose.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

My rate on mystic salvage kits have been around .70.

Posted by: skjidi.5240

skjidi.5240

What you can do about this, is selling your rare and buy 1 ecto back when you sell the rare

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

There has been gospel truth from Anet directly that MF only affects what loot is on a corpse when it is killed.

Posted by: Forestgreen.7981

Forestgreen.7981

I just don’t understand why A-net doesn’t make it so salvaging 70+ rares just yeild 1 ecto, no RNG involved. We currently have a RNG to FIND rare/mats to make them, then a RNG to salvage ectos. Seriously why is there a need for RNG on everything. There’s even a RNG for being able to hit targets 1 meter from you using bows.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

My ecto rates have been higher than normal. It used to be dreadful. Lady luck has smiled on me this week!

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

I got 7 ecto on 3 rares with a master kit.

It’s all random. Nothing was changed. Except perhaps your luck. Find a rabbits foot.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I have read on here multiple times that the return percent for salvaging rares with Mystic salvage kit is 0.9 ecto/rare – tested by people who did like 10,000 salvages
I just salvaged 140 level 68+ rares with MSK and got 113 ecto (0.8 ecto/rare).
The next 6 salvages would all have to yield 3 ectos to bring that average up to 0.9. based on that, this isn’t a half-bad estimation of the current rate. So, some time in recent history they did do a stealth nerf.

edit: people, please stop thinking 1-10 salvages gives you even a hint of the return rate. 100 is around the lowest I would even consider useful.

(edited by Mystic.5934)

Posted by: Yaptap.7945

Yaptap.7945

For these values to be accurate, the sample size needs to be more than just a few hundred or thousand. Maybe 100,000s and that might lend a bit more weight.

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

yeah especially from rares, it seems the salvage rate has changed, may be thats guy the ectos went up in the tp

I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: Grassrab.9302

Grassrab.9302

Each rare gives you a possible 3 the mystic kit has a 25% recovery rate, on average this should give you 3 ecto’s for 4 salvaged rares. Black lion kit has 50% recovery, which should give you 1.5 ecto’s per rare.
Magic find should not affect salvaging according to the wiki.

Posted by: Krom.8754

Krom.8754

I’m not exactly keeping track, but it’s rare I salvage a yellow that doesn’t give me at least 1 ecto. I’d put my average around 1.5-2.

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

Each rare gives you a possible 3 the mystic kit has a 25% recovery rate, on average this should give you 3 ecto’s for 4 salvaged rares. Black lion kit has 50% recovery, which should give you 1.5 ecto’s per rare.
Magic find should not affect salvaging according to the wiki.

Your math seems to assume the probability of getting 1, 2, or 3 ecto to be the same. Can you site a source for this information or is it a guess/assumption?

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

I’ve noticed this as well, but I thought it was just my luck. Maybe we (or you guys :p) should horde rares and test this?

Yarrmor.8406

I find it hilarious that we always get these kinds of posts after someone gets 0 ectos after a few salvages.

No, there was no stealth nerf. Some days you win, some days you lose.

No, I was just wondering, because the ecto price got up pretty fast. And also the price on rare lvl 70-80s has gone up big time.

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

It makes since for prices to go up across the board if more & more bots are being banned. Less accounts out there providing the mats for a high demanded item will raise the price of what is left.

But as Colin said, no nerf. You just had some bad luck on salvages.
If everything worked out like everyone wanted in the world, we would all be ga-gillionaires.

Posted by: Akiko.2364

Akiko.2364

Colin will have to get used to this, I think after every patch of Everquest over the last 12 years someone will come to the forums and compain that Spirit of the Wolf or that some favorite thing of thiers was secretly nurfed or that bards were broken again….

ok the bards Were broken again but that is besides the point!

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

Ony deep breathes more now too.

[SFD] – Maguuma

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

Salvaged 5 rares and got 10 ectos few days ago. The trial before that was slightly worse. I assume it is working as intended.

You can still get some money of an exotic by selling its sigil. Some of them can be sold for fair few Gs.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Each week we get a new topic here claiming that in the previous week the drop rate of ectos was much better. The fact we continue to get the same topic over and over, always claiming that one week before everything was great, is a nice proof of how ArenaNet should not listen to the forum when seeking game feedback.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Mazer.8923

Mazer.8923

As Colin Johanson stated above, ecto salvage rate haven’t changed. I’ve noticed peaks and lulls in my salvage rates too but it’s nothing to be overly concerned about. I’d imagine the ecto prices are going up because more and more people are crafting/upgrading the new back pieces which take 250 a pop for some of them.

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

Nothing about ecto drop rates has changed what so ever, we’d make sure to call this out if it was changed.

Why has the price of ectos gone up by like 20% in the past week?

Something’s gotta be at fault here… Did you nerf rare drop rates or something?

I haven’t noticed a difference in the rate I get good salvages, but I’ve noticed a MARKED decrease in the number of rares I get out of fractals, which has led to many fewer ectos piling up in my bank over the last week.

Out of about a dozen fractal runs in the past week, I’ve managed only 20 ectos because the rare drop rate seems to have decreased.

Of course it could just be my imagination or bad luck. Just a theory.

(edited by Hickeroar.9734)

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I haven’t noticed a difference in the rate I get good salvages, but I’ve noticed a MARKED decrease in the number of rares I get out of fractals, which has led to many fewer ectos piling up in my bank over the last week.

Out of about a dozen fractal runs in the past week, I’ve managed only 20 ectos because the rare drop rate seems to have decreased.

There was a massive bot ban wave last week. This is why T6 prices have jumped up in some cases to 100% and more.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Erasculio.2914

And this is why it’s a waste to have developers posting in the forum. The game director has just posted claiming drop rates were not nerfed, then someone quotes him asking if drop rates were nerfed. Definitely this is the kind of thing worth having developers stopping their work improving the game.

The price of ectos is going back to what it was before the snowflake exploit, in which a lot of people exploited a cheap and easy way to make ectos.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to

Hickeroar.9734

There was a massive bot ban wave last week. This is why T6 prices have jumped up in some cases to 100% and more.

Ah, I didn’t hear about that. In that case I’m gonna write off my rare drop rate decrease to bad luck and imagination.

Hickeroar.9734

And this is why it’s a waste to have developers posting in the forum. The game director has just posted claiming drop rates were not nerfed, then someone quotes him asking if drop rates were nerfed.

He said ecto drop rates were not nerfed. I was talking about RARES.

Also, if you bothered to read what I ASKED, you’d see that I asked why the ecto price has increased by 20%. I didn’t ask if they were nerfed.

Hickeroar.9734

And this is why it’s a waste to have developers posting in the forum. The game director has just posted claiming drop rates were not nerfed, then someone quotes him asking if drop rates were nerfed.

He said ecto drop rates were not nerfed. I was talking about RARES.

Zzzzzz… A nerf in the drop rate of rares and exotics, which are the only source of ectos, means a nerf in the drop rate of ectos. Reading comprehension is a great thing.

Yeah, and thinking of reading comprehension, if you had bothered to actually READ my post, you would have seen that I didn’t ask if they had been nerfed. I asked why ecto prices had increased dramatically….

Erasculio.2914

you would have seen that I didn’t ask if they had been nerfed.

No?

Again, reading comprehension is a great thing.

Posted by: Ojike.3179

Ojike.3179

I dont think it has been nerfed, i seem to get more ecto with BL kit then Mystic or master..

Random crap is random. :/

Posted by: Dreamslayer.7659

Dreamslayer.7659

Notice that nobody ever posts that after 1000 salvages, they think there is a problem?

It’s always after 5-10…

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

It’s random. Sometimes you get less, some more.

If it was for me I’d have made Ectos and Obsidians back to where they belong, aka random drops in FoW and UW.
They used to be the endgame materials… Back then when you looted an ecto you were happy because it was worth a lot and rare, now it’s everyday stuff.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Drops been fine for me.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I can confirm that this is just random, there are days that I get 0-1 ecto everytime, and others that I get almost always 2-3 ectos.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

The reason ecto got so cheap was the snowflake exploit that flooded the market with ill produced ecto. Even if the ecto didnt all make it to the tp directly some of it fulfilled otherwise unfulfilled demand. What we are seeing now is the price slowly returning to equalibrium.

Equalibrium is about 33-34 silver. There was a point in time it spiked above that but then legit ecto producting methods became known and supply in ecto spiked. depressing the market for a bit. then the snowflake exploit hit which dropped the price of an ecto down to 24 silver. Right now our buy order/sell order rates are about equal to what they were before.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

The double RNG of finding a rare item only to get nothing out of it is really poor design. One lair of RNG…finding the actual rare…should be enough to ensure at least one Ectoplasm.

I’d much rather have rares give at least 1 Ecto 100% of the time than having a 10% chance to get 3 as well as a 20% chance to get nothing.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Could it be Account issues, Ive noticed my drop rates in game and in salvage are abysmal, 6 Rares 4 gave nothing 1 gave one Ecto another gave 2 Ecto, thats pretty poor.

i also have found i get nothing much in open world. Another fact i’ve played the game nearly 1500 hours and i’ve yet to ever see a Lodestone of any type what so ever drop, never even seen one drop….

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

Colin will have to get used to this, I think after every patch of Everquest over the last 12 years someone will come to the forums and compain that Spirit of the Wolf or that some favorite thing of thiers was secretly nurfed or that bards were broken again….

ok the bards Were broken again but that is besides the point!

So so true. To this day I still confuse some of my guild by referring to swiftness as SoW.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

Posted by: Meowwilson.5106

Meowwilson.5106

There has been gospel truth from Anet directly that MF only affects what loot is on a corpse when it is killed.

Source please. im looking around for it.. i’ll post my source if i find it before i get a response.

thanks

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Source please. im looking around for it.. i’ll post my source if i find it before i get a response.

thanks

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Magic-Find-Chests/597487