Egocentrism

Egocentrism

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Other than the practical side. The reason why discrimination based on racism is bad is because it is factually incorrect: the color of your skin doesn’t determine the content of your character. But if someone is “disabled” in such a way as to be extremely violent and dangerous, then of course they will be discriminated against. They’re operationally different, and in such a way that refusing to pass judgement leads to bodily harm.

I have aspergers myself. I literally cannot understand social etiquette and social norms. It doesn’t feel like I’m some kind of super unique snowflake that is equal to everyone else in my own unique snowflakey way. It feels like my head is broken; that I am deaf to the extrasensory noise that everyone else readily hears and understands. I’m horrible at customer service jobs (I’ve literally sent customers away crying before, not sure how), and if someone doesn’t want to hire me for a customer service job, that is the a practical, reasonable, and logical choice, not an evil one.

But if we were to apply statistical and psychological standards instead of scientific ones we could dishonestly correlate violence with certain ethnicities. Autism is a sensory disorder not one that infringes upon intelligence or reasoning capability and to label it as a disorder likely has a cultural or social construct rather than an objective one.

http://www.livescience.com/16849-autism-advantages-research.html

Goes over overlooked advantages of autism, which conveniently get ignored just to keep the framing as a “disorder” and therefore unjustly justify discrimination.

Dr.House has such an attitude himself (making clients cry) yet he gets the job done and is the best in his field within the show’s canon.

People stereotype people with autism as jerks, but where does this come from? In early childhood an autistic kid is viewed as different from his peers and gets bullied, this reinforces the normalcy of being unkind. Other kids are unkind so the bullying victim in turn learns said behavior and does the same to other kids so this too is learned behavior.

Yes some disorders like schizophrenia and certain personality disorders can lead to violence but most violent behavior is rooted in societal circumstances. Schizophrenia also has biological and scientific evidence not just psychological too as brain scans show a different pattern.

Egocentrism

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Other than the practical side. The reason why discrimination based on racism is bad is because it is factually incorrect: the color of your skin doesn’t determine the content of your character. But if someone is “disabled” in such a way as to be extremely violent and dangerous, then of course they will be discriminated against. They’re operationally different, and in such a way that refusing to pass judgement leads to bodily harm.

I have aspergers myself. I literally cannot understand social etiquette and social norms. It doesn’t feel like I’m some kind of super unique snowflake that is equal to everyone else in my own unique snowflakey way. It feels like my head is broken; that I am deaf to the extrasensory noise that everyone else readily hears and understands. I’m horrible at customer service jobs (I’ve literally sent customers away crying before, not sure how), and if someone doesn’t want to hire me for a customer service job, that is the a practical, reasonable, and logical choice, not an evil one.

But if we were to apply statistical and psychological standards instead of scientific ones we could dishonestly correlate violence with certain ethnicities. Autism is a sensory disorder not one that infringes upon intelligence or reasoning capability and to label it as a disorder likely has a cultural or social construct rather than an objective one.

http://www.livescience.com/16849-autism-advantages-research.html

Goes over overlooked advantages of autism, which conveniently get ignored just to keep the framing as a “disorder” and therefore unjustly justify discrimination.

Dr.House has such an attitude himself (making clients cry) yet he gets the job done and is the best in his field within the show’s canon.

People stereotype people with autism as jerks, but where does this come from? In early childhood an autistic kid is viewed as different from his peers and gets bullied, this reinforces the normalcy of being unkind. Other kids are unkind so the bullying victim in turn learns said behavior and does the same to other kids so this too is learned behavior.

That doesn’t make sense. Your argument is that because you can misrepresent data, then a sensory disorder wouldn’t limit intelligence or reasoning. An inability to see things limits the information you can acquire, which indeed would limit your intelligence and also limit your ability to reason. To give the barest of examples, there are concepts that a blind person cannot understand, and it is because of the fact that they are blind that these limits exist.

The whole “advantages/disadvantages” game is looking beyond the basic fact and trying to nitpick. If some “disorder” has “advantages and disadvantages”, then it is “operationally different”. As an aspy myself, I can tell you that the notion of “advantages” to a disorder is itself a bad stereotype. Asperger’s doesn’t mean I’m Nikola Tesla or James Watt. It means I’m that weird kid who gets averages grades regardless. I’m not somehow smarter in another area because I can’t comprehend human behavior.

Also, try not to use fictional examples. Dr. House is a textbook “bad doctor” who’s conduct in real life would cost countless lives due to the inner strife caused by his hateful attitude. Yes, arrogant kittens of doctors get people killed.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Egocentrism

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Not sure if you were trying to be funny, but to answer your question, just about anyone who is not a sociopath since all humans have mirror neurons.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3510904/

The extent to which individuals are/feel egocentric differs per individual. While issues regarding basic needs and instincts will trigger more egoistical responses from individuals, more abstract thoughts and emotions will vary in response severity.

Overread the link, they are talking about synaptical signals when observing a similar action to our own on others.
True empathy is still impossible, since every humans brains is unique and will react different to the same situation. All you can do is observe the situation another person is in and their outside reactions and try to imagine how you would feel in order to relate to that other persons feelings. Its very questionable, how close to ‘feeling someone else’s pain’ that actually gets you.
However, that may be ‘a little’ offtopic.

True, if you view emotions or events happening in a living beings brains as fully unique between each member. While it is true that under those circumstances you might never be able to feel anothers pain since you’ve literally setup the definition for it to be unique, if we view processes in the brain as similar inbetween subjects, we come close enough.

Simplified mirror neurons make an observer go through similar emotions/processes in his brain as the observed within his own brains function. While this might not trigger the exactly same amount of fear, pain, joy, or emotion in the observer, does it really have to? Extreme experiences might not be shared equaly, but if person A knows how getting hit on the head after a fall of hight x feels, he will come very close to feeling for person B after seeing him experience a similar fall.

Also the topic at hand was egocentrism and not pure empathy, and for that purpose mirror neurons are more than sufficient to accomplish a break from ones own world view, even if one is not aware of it.

Egocentrism

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Guys — the moderator team asked me to take a look at the thread, as they were concerned that the discussion was veering off into a completely new tangent. I agree with them. I think this thread has housed some good and meaningful discussion, but at this time we will be closing it, with thanks to those who participated.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet