Empyreal Fragments are absurd

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

This is more like Complain on the Forum Wars 2 at this point.

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

@OP: Did you forget to consider that maybe Ascended weapons aren’t something that they intended for you to have on every single slot? Kinda like how you’re not expected to have 1-4 Legendaries on your character?

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

@OP: Did you forget to consider that maybe Ascended weapons aren’t something that they intended for you to have on every single slot? Kinda like how you’re not expected to have 1-4 Legendaries on your character?

ANet fell a long way from their time of GW1 then.

“Sorry guys, we don’t expect people to have BiS items any time soon. GW1 was too fair and skill based you see? We want it to be about who is the biggest farmer”

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Have you considered that legendaries were supposed to be skins only?

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I’m a primarily a WvW player who does some PvE. I’m willing to go out of my way a bit to get Ascended gear, but generally, I’m just going to play the way I want to play. And if I get enough mats for Ascended gear, then I’ll craft them.

However, if playing this way eventually causes me to feel very disadvantaged in WvW, I’ll simply quit the game.

Olba.5376

“Sorry guys, we don’t expect people to have BiS items any time soon. GW1 was too fair and skill based you see? We want it to be about who is the biggest farmer”

Looking at the OP, I think people are rushing a bit too much to the Ascended stuff.

Colin has literally gone on record saying that Exotics were too easy to get, which ended up not matching their idea for BiS stuff.

Looking at the OP’s numbers, he’s got a total of 5 weapons and 32-52 hours of gameplay for the Empyreal Fragments. If he doesn’t buy Empyreal Fragments and Deldrimor Steel Ingots from the TP, he’s looking at a minimum of 6 days per weapon, for a total of 30 days. Getting 32-52 hours of gameplay within 30 days amounts to 1-2 hours a day.

Compared to various other games, being able to get BiS gear within a month and by playing as little as 1-2 hours a day is amazingly low.

(edited by Olba.5376)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Threatening?? No.. Comical…

Games evolve… And this thread is stemming from an interview taken from September of 2011.

Some of us based our purchase decision on that kind of information you know. I could nearly be grounds for a lawsuit even no? False advertising.

You have no grounds for a lawsuit. For a period of time what was said was true and arguably at that point, you’d have gotten your money’s worth out of it. And while the TOS isn’t actually legally binding, there are terms in there about changing the game that I suspect most courts would accept.

At any rate, for a reasonable amount of time you were entitled to a refund which Anet would have given you.

Posted by: Jordy.1570

Jordy.1570

its on purpose to flood our invetorys…. this is how they force ppl to buy stuff from the gemshop… u need to look at every content from the developers perspective. keep the gemshop and non subscriber marketing model in mind every time u take a look at the new content. this is how u will understand whats going on here.
they keep us busy with no effort. every decission needs to fit the idea “there need to be a way to sell something in the gemshop”
content is not for free. they just design this way so ppl think about spending money on the cashshop.
it all fits in well. look at the gem price. noone wants to trade their hard earned gold for games. ppl rather spend 10 euro for a new bag slot etc…
they r fooling us hard…

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Again the game design has been misunderstood. You are not supposed to farm those things. You do some dungeons, you get some. You do a puzzle for your daily, you get some more.

You get these things by playing regularly, there is no need to farm them. Instead, you calculate the time it takes to get them to the millisecond, and complain.

Oh sure, in 2-3 months I’ll probably get my first weapon through WvW Think of it, I may be able to outfit a whole character in a year! Yes, yes, those 500+ orichalcum ore and 500+ ancient wood logs will drop like nothing

I’d post again that huge list of mats required per crafting profession per weapon, but it’s not worth the time.

Again, the game design features something that is the opposite of what has been promoted before the ascended fiasco. See Colin’s quote.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

(edited by Wolfheart.1938)

Posted by: Retsuko.2035

Retsuko.2035

So far i have 250 empyreal fragments without trying. I don’t grind either… All i do is play a bit, do a dungeon, kill a chest boss world event, do a fractal etc etc. I’m working on an ascended staff, but i’m not in a hurry. Seeing me at 250 fragments means that the fragments is the least of my worries.

It would be a good idea to play this game, and explore other features this game has to offer instead of whine here and avoid more difficult content.

Also i hardly doubt that anyone would really feel a disadvantage if you don’t have an ascended weapon. It’s only 1 ascended item out of many. So the points difference is so tiny, it’s neglectable. It’s another story between full exotic armor/weapon/trinkets vs all ascended once armor comes out. But right now, it’s just too tiny, unless you were too lazy to neglect your trinkets and didn’t bother getting ascended.

Retsu ~ Inner Monkey [IM] ~ Piken Square

(edited by Retsuko.2035)

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

You don’t even have to try to get the materials for ascended weapons… you get all the materials by doing anything in the game.

Now relax and stop the over dramatizing.

Wolfheart.1938

Since you keep posting the same thing, I’ll asnwer you the same thing:

I want a staff and a gs on my guardian. I use many other weapons, but those are the ones I use most of the time so I can live with the others being exotic. Are you telling me I get 1000 orichalcum ores and 1000 ancient wood logs by just playing the game? Open your eyes buddy

AntiGw.9367

Are you telling me I get 1000 orichalcum ores and 1000 ancient wood logs by just playing the game? Open your eyes buddy

Well… that’s where they usually come from… unless some stork brings them to people or something.

Wolfheart.1938

But that is kind of a stupid point now isn’t it? Arenanet could make an item that costed 5000 globs of ectoplasm and you could say “but you get the mats through playing the game so it’s k!”

Well where else would I get the mats, at walmart?

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

Seriously, stop with the drama. Your false perception of what really is, is really wrong. Play the game and you will see why.

Posted by: Avatara.1042

Looking at the OP, I think people are rushing a bit too much to the Ascended stuff.

Colin has literally gone on record saying that Exotics were too easy to get, which ended up not matching their idea for BiS stuff.

Looking at the OP’s numbers, he’s got a total of 5 weapons and 32-52 hours of gameplay for the Empyreal Fragments. If he doesn’t buy Empyreal Fragments and Deldrimor Steel Ingots from the TP, he’s looking at a minimum of 6 days per weapon, for a total of 30 days. Getting 32-52 hours of gameplay within 30 days amounts to 1-2 hours a day.

Compared to various other games, being able to get BiS gear within a month and by playing as little as 1-2 hours a day is amazingly low.

You cannot buy Empyreal Fragments from the TP.

So far i have 250 empyreal fragments without trying. I don’t grind either… All i do is play a bit, do a dungeon, kill a chest boss world event, do a fractal etc etc. I’m working on an ascended staff, but i’m not in a hurry. Seeing me at 250 fragments means that the fragments is the least of my worries.

It would be a good idea to play this game, and explore other features this game has to offer instead of whine here and avoid more difficult content.

Also i hardly doubt that anyone would really feel a disadvantage if you don’t have an ascended weapon. It’s only 1 ascended item out of many. So the points difference is so tiny, it’s neglectable. It’s another story between full exotic armor/weapon/trinkets vs all ascended once armor comes out. But right now, it’s just too tiny, unless you were too lazy to neglect your trinkets and didn’t bother getting ascended.

If you have 250 fragments ‘without trying’, then you run a lot of dungeons.

Also, a weapon upgrade is not ‘neglectable’. It is quite large.

(edited by Avatara.1042)

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

The problem here is that you want your Acended weapon naow. Is it intended to take some time to earn instead of like all the gear up until now that you can obtain with little to no effort at all?

I hope so.

The problem here is that you want your Acended weapon naow. Is it intended to take some time to earn instead of like all the gear up until now that you can obtain with little to no effort at all?

I hope so.

I already have my ascended weapon ‘naow’. The problem is in the lame way I had to acquire the crafting mats, and in the poor 450-500 levelling system.

(edited by Avatara.1042)

Posted by: arjeidi.2690

arjeidi.2690

Because its more satisfying than, uh, playing the game. Duh.

Olba.5376

My bad, I meant Spiritwood Planks. So long as you don’t circumvent the timegating by buying them from the TP, you’re looking at a bare minimum of 6 Deldrimor Steel Ingots and 5 Spiritwood Planks per weapon, for a total of 30 and 25 for the OP’s proposed 5 weapons.

Surely you cannot say that the OP’s calculated 30-50 hours in a month is too much for BiS gear?

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

No, and neither has anyone with a brain for the simple reason that ascended items are statistically superior to exotic. A character with full ascended is objectively stronger than a character with full exotics of the same stats.

If they weren’t I’m fairly certain most of us wouldn’t be complaining.

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

Already got 2 stacks of thse, only by playing the game last week. You know.. Jumping puzzles, fractals, one or other dungeon run.. and of course, Guild events.

I’m happy with the ammount. What scares me is bloodstone from champs, I already have 30 stacks of those lololol

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t understand why people are saying you must do dungeon runs for these fragments. I think I have run maybe 6 dungeons in the game’s life, and none of those in the past few months, and I have a goodly amount of Empyreal fragments.

You can actually obtain these without going out of your way. Unless, of course, your way of playing is parking in LA, or something, I guess.

Why can’t there be things in this game that take some time to obtain? Why must people rush to get them, and then complain about ‘grinding’ for them? It boggles my mind, truly. =(

Wolfheart.1938

Oh but there are many things that take time to obtain. Legendaries, rare weapons, most of the mystic forge ones. Why must “hard to obtain” items have a statistical advantage over others? It goes exactly against their design philosophy of easy to reach stat cap and even playing field

My bad, I meant Spiritwood Planks. So long as you don’t circumvent the timegating by buying them from the TP, you’re looking at a bare minimum of 6 Deldrimor Steel Ingots and 5 Spiritwood Planks per weapon, for a total of 30 and 25 for the OP’s proposed 5 weapons.

Surely you cannot say that the OP’s calculated 30-50 hours in a month is too much for BiS gear?

Different weapons require differing amounts of Deldrimor Steel and Spiritwood. The staff, for example, takes 3 Steel, but 9 planks. Elonian leather is also used for bows.

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

Why can’t there be things in this game that take some time to obtain?

There were many many many things that take time to obtain already in the game.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: Sil.4560

Sil.4560

15 characters and such.

Use spaces.

But then people can’t see how dedicated to filling my posts with awesome, meaningful content I am!

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

I’ve been spending 2-3 hours a day running around looting chests in the open world / doing a single JP for the last 4 daily CD’s and have over 1400 fragments – so that is probably about 10ish hours of work for almost 3 weapons worth.

Care to give the exact breakdown? 2-3hrs a day ONLY opening chests + 1 JP sounds about right as for 1400 I would like to see how even with alts.

Sure. I do probably 75% of all the open world chests on a main, then do rounds in wayfarer and queensdale only on all my level 80 alts (7 total level 80’s.) I then do one of the jumping puzzles in Caledon forest that gives 6-9 fragments on all 7 80’s as well. I also loot maybe 40% of the “easy” chests in Orr on 4 of those 80’s while gathering wood/ore. It all adds up rather quickly…

If you only had one level 80. obviously it would take a lot longer to gather the shards or you would have to work harder at it doing say, a bunch of dungeon paths. BUT, it’s all the same in the end as someone with a bunch of alts needs to make weapons for those alts eventually, the only benefit is gearing out your main faster.

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

I’ve been spending 2-3 hours a day running around looting chests in the open world / doing a single JP for the last 4 daily CD’s and have over 1400 fragments – so that is probably about 10ish hours of work for almost 3 weapons worth.

Care to give the exact breakdown? 2-3hrs a day ONLY opening chests + 1 JP sounds about right as for 1400 I would like to see how even with alts.

Sure. I do probably 75% of all the open world chests on a main, then do rounds in wayfarer and queensdale only on all my level 80 alts (7 total level 80’s.) I then do one of the jumping puzzles in Caledon forest that gives 6-9 fragments on all 7 80’s as well. I also loot maybe 40% of the “easy” chests in Orr on 4 of those 80’s while gathering wood/ore. It all adds up rather quickly…

If you only had one level 80. obviously it would take a lot longer to gather the shards or you would have to work harder at it doing say, a bunch of dungeon paths. BUT, it’s all the same in the end as someone with a bunch of alts needs to make weapons for those alts eventually, the only benefit is gearing out your main faster.

Thanks for this breakdown.
It’s too bad I only have two 80 characters, but thankfully 1 has all waypoints and the other has 80-90% all waypoints.
Time to play the game, ie. farming chests.

In before empyreal fragment daily account bound locks/nerfs.

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

It’s too bad I only have two 80 characters, but thankfully 1 has all waypoints and the other has 80-90% all waypoints.

If they made them daily account locked, I would sure hope they boosted all the amounts give to 10+.

It’s kind of unreasonable to expect the average player will have 8 alts running around harvesting chests, so I’m really not sure what Arenanet’s thinking was on this.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

If you spent the same amount of time on your 2 80’s getting more of the chests / JP’s than me, you would get the same amount in that time – it is just less stressful to do the low level one’s sometimes

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I don’t find it that bad, because even if it’s tedious, it seems to be able to be acquired from standard gameplay. The crafting is the crappy part, to me at least.

At least it’s consistent, so even if the RNG is mean, there’s little of a problem, unlike Dark Matter. I run camps a lot, so YMMV….

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Sentry.3691

Sentry.3691

The best way to get all of those fragments is dungeons. Each dungeon gives 20 Empyreal Fragments. That means all the ascended weapons require 125 dungeon runs. Assuming each dungeon run takes 15 minutes, that’s 31.5 hours of gameplay just for Empyreal Fragments.

The best way to get Empyreal Fragments is wvw, not dungeons. They are ridiculously easy to get just by capturing camps and towers.

For me, Dragonite Ore is much more difficult to get because I don’t enjoy mindlessly farming temple events and world bosses.

BlueZone.4236

The best way to get Empyreal Fragments is wvw, not dungeons. They are ridiculously easy to get just by capturing camps and towers.

Assuming you’re logged in during the active time of your server’s WvW, and/or assuming your opponent’s server doesn’t have 24/7 WvW defense coverage, and/or assuming you can solo camps, and/or assuming your server hasn’t been demoralized by its current match up, it is absolutely ridiculously easy.

azurrei has the best advice for guaranteed fragment farming. Farm the open world chests with multiple level 80s (do it while you still can).
WvW is hit or miss. It’s a miss on my server this week.

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

You’re right this is ridiculous. Why, even with me logging on to my Mesmer and porting people into the JP’s in LA for free empyreals, it’s going to take them a while to get BiS….. clearly, there’s something wrong when you actually have to devote a little bit of time to getting the absolute best weapons.

Wolfheart.1938

Agreed Ykfox. Doing every single JP in the game 5 times (actual numbers) to get 4 BiS weapons on a single character for a single build (say I am a p/p + p/d condi thief) is nothing but “devoting a little bit of time”, especially when you look at the rest of the requirements for ascended weapons.

(edited by Wolfheart.1938)

BlueZone.4236

You’re right this is ridiculous. Why, even with me logging on to my Mesmer and porting people into the JP’s in LA for free empyreals, it’s going to take them a while to get BiS….. clearly, there’s something wrong when you actually have to devote a little bit of time to getting the absolute best weapons.

As others have suggested before (or something similar), I’d prefer if anet took advantage of it’s personal story/living story (minus the temporary aspect) and make you obtain pieces as quest to “craft” your weapon, not farm the same content again and again.
I don’t want to be like Trahearne who was handed Caladbolg on a silver platter.
If done right, at least then I’d have a (hopefully memorable) story and feel like it was an accomplishment.

Less traditional MMO, more RPG, please. But I’m most likely in the minority, so that isn’t going to happen.

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

As others have suggested before (or something similar), I’d prefer if anet took advantage of it’s personal story/living story (minus the temporary aspect) and make you obtain pieces as quest to “craft” your weapon, not farm the same content again and again.
I don’t want to be like Trahearne who was handed Caladbolg on a silver platter.
If done right, at least then I’d have a (hopefully memorable) story and feel like it was an accomplishment.

Less traditional MMO, more RPG, please. But I’m most likely in the minority, so that isn’t going to happen.

This.

Posted by: One Note Chord.5031

One Note Chord.5031

Hey, thanks, finally found a signature for these forums! It sure is remarkable, though, that the direction Guild Wars 2 took is so different from the Game Director’s plan. He must not be very good at his job. Maybe they can get somebody new for Guild Wars 3.

(Some less scrupulous critics might, of course, conclude that Colin was just lying! But I’ll be more charitable and attribute it to gross incompetence.)

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”
Pre-launch, Colin listed things that make MMOs bad. They are all now in GW2.

(edited by One Note Chord.5031)

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

If someone wants to do it through jumping puzzles, it will take an average of 625 jumping puzzles to get 2,500 Empyreal Fragments. Assuming each jumping puzzle takes five minutes — a very generous estimate — that’s more than 52 hours of gameplay just for Empyreal Fragments.

As a comparison, it takes 84 temple events to get 2,500 Dragonite Ore. That’s 21 hours of gameplay at most.

Is this intentional?

I’m convinced they don’t actually sit down and kitten it in this manner. Not only from this update but from previous updates as well like the celestial armor addition.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

The best way to get all of those fragments is dungeons. Each dungeon gives 20 Empyreal Fragments. That means all the ascended weapons require 125 dungeon runs. Assuming each dungeon run takes 15 minutes, that’s 31.5 hours of gameplay just for Empyreal Fragments.

For me, Dragonite Ore is much more difficult to get because I don’t enjoy mindlessly farming temple events and world bosses.

WvW is sketchy at best. Camps only have as good of a return as Jumping Puzzles, and I’m a little unsure about towers since I haven’t been lucky enough to be on during a time when we’re capping them.

I wouldn’t say it’s really worth the time unless you’re just steamrolling through all the enemies camps and towers..

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

WvW is sketchy at best. Camps only have as good of a return as Jumping Puzzles, and I’m a little unsure about towers since I haven’t been lucky enough to be on during a time when we’re capping them.

I wouldn’t say it’s really worth the time unless you’re just steamrolling through all the enemies camps and towers..

Yep agreed, I get some but not much, certainly not nearly as much as the bloodstone and dragonite

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

ROFL, when i see this QQ, I must seriously doubt, that certain people must have never heard something about LONG TERM MOTIVATION

I stopped reading right here. Please look up the meaning of “casual player”.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

I don’t have enough hands for the amount of facepalm I have for this thread… and my desk cannot contain the force of my headdesk…

AntiGw.9367

I don’t have enough hands for the amount of facepalm I have for this thread… and my desk cannot contain the force of my headdesk…

There’s always the keyboard.

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

There’s always the keyboard.

I’d rather not shatter it.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

When reading the complaints on the forums is more entertaining than playing the game, something is very, very wrong.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

Yep agreed, I get some but not much, certainly not nearly as much as the bloodstone and dragonite

Maybe in world vs. world. In normal PvE, getting Bloodstone Dust and Dragonite Ore is easy, especially in comparison to Empyreal Fragments.

To be honest, world vs. world players are just screwed by this patch.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

ROFL, when i see this QQ, I must seriously doubt, that certain people must have never heard something about LONG TERM MOTIVATION

I stopped reading right here. Please look up the meaning of “casual player”.

Oh yes I forgot .. the newest type of casual gamer nowadays wants to have put everything free into their a** right when they log into the game ..

How could I have forgotten this only …. /facepalm…

If you believe, only because you are a casual gamer, that a casual gamer can’t be required in a game to do some “effort” to get something, even if it requires of them normally more time, than it does for hardcore players, then you absolutely play the wrong game my friend!
Just a word of advice.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside