Empyreal Fragments are absurd

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

ROFL, when i see this QQ, I must seriously doubt, that certain people must have never heard something about LONG TERM MOTIVATION

I stopped reading right here. Please look up the meaning of “casual player”.

Oh yes I forgot .. the newest type of casual gamer nowadays wants to have put everything free into their a** right when they log into the game ..

How could I have forgotten this only …. /facepalm…

If you believe, only because you are a casual gamer, that a casual gamer can’t be required in a game to do some “effort” to get something, even if it requires of them normally more time, than it does for hardcore players, then you absolutely play the wrong game my friend!
Just a word of advice.

“Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

If you believe, only because you are a casual gamer, that a casual gamer can’t be required in a game to do some “effort” to get something, even if it requires of them normally more time, than it does for hardcore players, then you absolutely play the wrong game my friend!
Just a word of advice.

Pretty much this.

Some people seem to be either in a hurry or want everything the moment they log in.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

MikaHR.1978

Just a word of advice.

Pretty much this.

Some people seem to be either in a hurry or want everything the moment they log in.

Yes, they want the game that was advertised:

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Just a word of advice.

Pretty much this.

By the time you reach level 80 you should have enough of the Ascended materials to craft an Ascended Weapon.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

By the time you reach level 80 you should have enough of the Ascended materials to craft an Ascended Weapon.

By the time my alt reaches level 80, he doesn’t even have close to enough gold and materials to craft a full exotic set, not to mention leveling the 4 crafts needed to do it to 400.

What makes you think a freshly level 80 char got enough mats for even one Ascended Weapon? Did you see how much ore and wood it costs?

MikaHR.1978

Just a word of advice.

Pretty much this.

Uh-huh. rofl

I leveled enough alts to know, sorry bro.

maddoctor.2738

By the time my alt reaches level 80, he doesn’t even have close to enough gold and materials to craft a full exotic set, not to mention leveling the 4 crafts needed to do it to 400.

What makes you think a freshly level 80 char got enough mats for even one Ascended Weapon? Did you see how much ore and wood it costs?

I will repost what I posted on another thread:

The main “issue” we have now is that Ascended Weapons weren’t here at release. Fortunately, the Ascended Materials are available at the lowest levels, by the time you reach 80 (on a post-patch character) it is reasonable to have enough materials to craft an Ascended Weapon.
Let’s take a look at the materials needed to craft an Ascended Greatsword and how hard it is to get them before you even reach level 80:
Normal Materials are rather easy to come by if you actually play the game, and not fast level using crafting, it’s not unreasonable to have all the mats below shortly after you reach 80. Even the 450 Mithril Ingots are easy to get, Mithril is everywhere. It might appear that the required are loads if you start collecting them now, but as I see it, even a fresh player can actually have most of these while only playing the game normally.
60 Softwood Plank
30 Seasoned Wood Plank
20 Hard Wood Plank
150 Elder Wood Plank
10 Ancient Wood Plank
180 Iron Ingot
90 Steel Ingot
60 Darksteel Ingot
450 Mithril Ingot
15 Orichalcum Ingot
Rare Materials:
20 Crystalline Dust
5 T6 Materials
17 Globs of Ectoplasm
Not a very unreasonable amount there now, isn’t it? The “only” hard part here are the Globs of Ectoplasm, but due to our beloved World Bosses, starting at level 60 you can get your Globs without issues.
“Special” Mats
30 Obsidian Shards
20 Skill Points
5 Laurels
21k Karma
3 gold
Once again, make a new character and by level 80 (if done “properly”) you will probably have all those easily.
And now the Ascended Materials:
270 Thermocatalytic Reagent, that’s around 4g, not very expensive
500 Pile of Bloodstone Dust, that’s very easy to come by, at level 10 you can go around in Queensdale and get some Champion kills for these
500 Empyreal Fragment, that’s indeed a tough one, but dungeons give 20 per path, that’s 60 per dungeon. If you do all dungeons as you level up, there’s a total of 25 Paths for exactly 500 Empyreal Fragments. In other words, if you run each dungeon ONCE (while leveling from 1 to 80 preferably) you will get all your Fragments. Do some Jumping Puzzles on the way to cover some paths you might not do.
500 Dragonite Ore, you can start getting these at level 15, killing the Shadow Behemoth, Frozen Maw, Fire Elemental and Jungle Wurm. If you kill all the World Bosses ONCE, and assuming average drop in Dragonite Ore, you will get a grand total of 308 Dragonite Ore. They should make Dragonite Ore more readily available for sure, it’s the most rare of the 3 (requires more Grind).
So, unless you consider a “grind”, running all world bosses and dungeon paths ONCE, then I don’t see any kind of mindless grind required for the Ascended mats. It’s your choice if you choose to “grind” some of the bosses or some of the dungeon paths over and over again, but you certainly don’t have to at all. If you want you can get all the Ascended Materials for a Weapon in a single day, if you can run all the paths in one day of course.
To me, getting to 400 Weaponsmithing is a lot more time consuming / grindy than crafting an Ascended Weapon. If you can get to 400 in a crafting discipline, there shouldn’t be any problem in crafting your weapon of choice.

maddoctor.2738

Just a word of advice.

Pretty much this.

Uh-huh. rofl

I leveled enough alts to know, sorry bro.

I leveled enough alts but never got any Ascended materials, I think it’s because while I leveled them there were no ascended material drops. Maybe.

stof.9341

Last time I checked, you needed 500 in a craft for a weapon. It costs around 180-200g in materials to do 400→500 even counting the money you get back by selling the stuff you craft which is partly stupid since you need to disassemble them to get one of the components for Ascended.

Here’s the breakdown : it costs more to level your craft from 400 to 500 than to straight buy a full set of cultural T3 armor. Are you telling me that any fresh level 80 would have enough money to get one set of cultural T3 armor?

Btw, your huge wall of text never mentioned Dark Matter. Why?

maddoctor.2738

Last time I checked, you needed 500 in a craft for a weapon. It costs around 180-200g in materials to do 400->500 even counting the money you get back by selling the stuff you craft which is partly stupid since you need to disassemble them to get one of the components for Ascended.

Here’s the breakdown : it costs more to level your craft from 400 to 500 than to straight buy a full set of cultural T3 armor. Are you telling me that any fresh level 80 would have enough money to get one set of cultural T3 armor?

Btw, your huge wall of text never mentioned Dark Matter. Why?

I forgot about it the first and was pointed out in the other thread, multi-threading while the forums are giving Internal Server Error messages is hard.
Here is the rest:

Yes, my mistake. But to get to 500 Weaponsmithing you need to craft exotics, salvaging those exotics should give you enough Dark Matter for a few Ascended Weapons.
Of course players are using multiple weapons, I use 9 ONLY on my Guardian (I regularly use all Guardian weapons) and to make them all Ascended it will take me years?
However, by the time you reach 80 with a level 1 character it’s not unreasonable to have nearly everything you need for an Ascended Weapon, provided you didn’t “fast” level. I wanted to point out that simple fact. Also, by definition it’s not a “grind” if you are doing unique and different tasks (like all dungeon paths) to get it. Doing the math, it’s clear that players don’t need to grind their favorite paths/champions for their Ascended needs, the system is “build” specifically not to need that.
Even so, for the Ascended weapons you are “grinding” nearly everywhere you want. Take for example Volcanus or Foefire’s Essence, those require “grinding” on a very specific part of the game. Also, most of the materials for Ascended weapons can come from a level 2, while the other high-end weapons require level 80 characters for their most expensive part (lodestones). It’s the same with Legendaries, they require specific grinds to make, to get the materials you want. I’ll take the Ascended type “grind” over the previous type of “grind” any day. At least I can get my Ascended Weapons by playing HOW I WANT.

maddoctor.2738

Last time I checked, you needed 500 in a craft for a weapon. It costs around 180-200g in materials to do 400->500 even counting the money you get back by selling the stuff you craft which is partly stupid since you need to disassemble them to get one of the components for Ascended.

You need exactly 6 weapons to get to level 450 on any crafting discipline, and you can even make a profit selling them, or salvage them for Dark Matter. I won’t go above it until they “fix” the Ascended recipies and make them reward exp beyond 450, it’s silly that it doesn’t.

I don’t believe it requires 200g to get to 500, how many weapons do you need to get to 500 from 450 anyway?

Also, although isn’t so helpful, you only need a single character to get to 500, the more alts you have, the more important this is.

stof.9341

You completely ignore the cost of leveling one craft to 500, except at the part about Dark Matter.

For example, you say that for one ascended weapon it costs only 5 T6 mats. Yet you get Dark Matter by salvaging the exotics made in the 400-500 part. You need like on average, 10 exotics to get your Dark matter. That’s already 50 T6 mats and 50 Globs of Ectoplasm extra you didn’t count.

MikaHR.1978

You need exactly 6 weapons to get to level 450 on any crafting discipline, and you can even make a profit selling them, or salvage them for Dark Matter. I won’t go above it until they “fix” the Ascended recipies and make them reward exp beyond 450, it’s silly that it doesn’t.

I don’t believe it requires 200g to get to 500, how many weapons do you need to get to 500 from 450 anyway?

Also, although isn’t so helpful, you only need a single character to get to 500, the more alts you have, the more important this is.

You need 3 crafts to go to 500. And when armor comes out another 3. Do your own math.

And after all that actually craft all weapons/armor you need. And yes eventually you will need it all.

maddoctor.2738

You completely ignore the cost of leveling one craft to 500, except at the part about Dark Matter.

For example, you say that for one ascended weapon it costs only 5 T6 mats. Yet you get Dark Matter by salvaging the exotics made in the 400-500 part. You need like on average, 10 exotics to get your Dark matter. That’s already 50 T6 mats and 50 Globs of Ectoplasm extra you didn’t count.

Dark Matter come from any Exotic gear (doesn’t need to be level 80), you can get it by salvaging dungeon exotics and drops too, or even, if you are using a fresh character, the 6 exotics you get from exploring Malchor’s Leap, Curshed Shore and Frostgorge Sound. Dark Matter doesn’t only come from salvaging crafted Exotics, you can basically get it for free.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

1 weapon + booster is about 3 levels
17 exotic weapons.

Consider that ascended materials gives really little crafting xp.
Also you don t want to use crafting boosters for time gated materials beause you would need 8.

Its very expensive to craft 400 to 500.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

No matter what, you still have to go out of your way to do ridiculously stupid content like temple and dragon bosses to get dragonite. I’m fine with Empyreal, they’re found in both wvwvw and dungeons. The bloodstone dust drops in massive quantities and everything and their mother is a champion in this game (Dungeons, WvWvW, open world PVE, there isn’t a place without ton of champions to kill..).

Dragonite isn’t the only issue with ascended gear, but it’s quite the massive pain in the *.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

maddoctor.2738

Dragonite isn’t the only issue with ascended gear, but it’s quite the massive pain in the *.

Dragonite is the worst of them all, they should add more options to get it, or maybe a MF recipe to transmute one type of Ascended material to another.

maddoctor.2738

Also you don t want to use crafting boosters for time gated materials beause you would need 8.

I’m crafting loads of the time-gated ones without a booster, then I’ll craft Deldrimor and Spiritwood in bulk to make good use of the booster. It can save a booster or two and level up faster.

stof.9341

So your plan to craft an Ascended weapon with a freshly level 80 alt includes getting enough mats out of nowhere to craft 6 exotics, and then waiting for ANet to nerf the costs themselves because you say so?

Sounds good to me.

maddoctor.2738

So your plan to craft an Ascended weapon with a freshly level 80 alt includes getting enough mats out of nowhere to craft 6 exotics, and then waiting for ANet to nerf the costs themselves because you say so?

Sounds good to me.

No. I said you will have enough materials to craft an Ascended Weapon not that your fresh level 80 alt will enough materials to get to 500 Weaponsmithing. I never included getting to 500 Weaponsmithing in my calculations.

500 Weaponsmithing is “account bound” you need it only once on your entire account, so I guess I can somewhat justify the cost, it’s a big overhead cost for getting your very first Ascended Weapon but after that it will cost you nothing, you don’t lose crafting levels. Does it have a ridiculous cost? Yes it does I never said otherwise.

As for me waiting for them to nerf the cost, how does it make sense to still get experience from a level 400 recipe but not get experience from a level 450 recipe?

stof.9341

No. I said you will have enough materials to craft an Ascended Weapon not that your fresh level 80 alt will enough materials to get to 500 Weaponsmithing. I never included getting to 500 Weaponsmithing in my calculations.

Yes you did. You said the Dark Matters will come from salvaging the exotics you made to level your craft to 500.

Also, nobody gets 450 Mithril while leveling from 1 to 80 unless they go out of their way to gather as much as possible.

MikaHR.1978

Sounds good to me.

500 Weaponsmithing is “account bound” you need it only once on your entire account, so I guess I can somewhat justify the cost, it’s a big overhead cost for getting your very first Ascended Weapon but after that it will cost you nothing, you don’t lose crafting levels. Does it have a ridiculous cost? Yes it does I never said otherwise.

As for me waiting for them to nerf the cost, how does it make sense to still get experience from a level 400 recipe but not get experience from a level 450 recipe?

Ah, so if you go out of your way during leveling, and level “properly?” you might get enough mats to maybe craft 1 weapon. Nevermind that you cant level your craft to actually craft it, level another 5 crafts, or another 33 gear pieces you will need just for 1 character 1 build.

Yup, its totally reasonable.

(edited by MikaHR.1978)

kokiman.2364

Also, nobody gets 450 Mithril while leveling from 1 to 80 unless they go out of their way to gather as much as possible.

Just as a reference, when I reached Level 20 in GW1 I wasn’t even close to my first set of max armor + max weapons.

GuildWars 2

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t know, maybe I’m doing it wrong. I haven’t bought a single mat off the TP. And, so far, I have 4 crafting disciplines at 400, and well on my way to 500. Doesn’t anyone else gather their mats, or salvage items for mats? Hasn’t cost me one copper to craft things. In fact, I make a few gold by selling my extra mats, and a few of the items I craft. Lol, I am surprised by how much some of them sell for, to be honest.

Posted by: apocalyps.7106

apocalyps.7106

no fresh character can get that in it’s normal way up to 80.

(edited by apocalyps.7106)

stof.9341

Just as a reference, when I reached Level 20 in GW1 I wasn’t even close to my first set of max armor + max weapons.

Well unless you mean something different and talk about that rune thing that was ultra expensive, I did get max armor shortly after level 20. Getting just THE right weapon required me to finish a campaign first though but then it was given for free for me.

The equivalent in GW2 would be getting the ascended weapon set of your choice (on 2H or two 1h) after we beat Zhaithan.

As for the sigil/rune thing, you could get by with the next best one and only losing like, 9 max HP total?

The fact people can reach crafting 500 without buying mats on the TP is pointless since for opportunity costs reason, the mats you farmed yourself still have value.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I have a craft at 470, 2 at 440. I have more gold in the bank than before I started. If I wanted less gold I would be at 500. You get to choose how you do it. I am not even 100% sure I will make one, just having it as an option. I do know that in the time it will take me to get even one to 500 (less than 1 week by my guess) I will be able to make a couple of weapons.

Posted by: apocalyps.7106

apocalyps.7106

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

Seriously? You couldn’t afford 5-6k+ crappy mats to get level 20 armor/weapons? All level 20 weapons/armors were the same; only cosmetic differences in GW1 other than inherents/inscriptions. Runes and Insigs too? Oh lawdy, another 5k tops for the best unless you were a Rit/Imba/Monk. Rolling through PvE you make that before you even hit 20; boxing or not.

(edited by Copestetic.5174)

kokiman.2364

Well unless you mean something different and talk about that rune thing that was ultra expensive

The runes, the weapon upgrades maybe even the hero equipment. Ascended gear is BiS and in GW1 the rune of sup. Health was part of BiS gear.

GuildWars 2

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

ROFL, when i see this QQ, I must seriously doubt, that certain people must have never heard something about LONG TERM MOTIVATION

These items and all their required materials are intentionally designed extra therfore, that not every 0815-noob gamer just will have all these items a couple days after the patch release already.

These items are the highest powerful items of the whole game, these items aren’t be made to get extremly quick. These items are designed for partient players which slowly work towards their goals, like working for a legendary weapon, as the ascendant weapons are itentionally designed to be basically the “bridge” between exotic items and legendary items …

31h of gameplay is absolutely not much, this is peanuts..
I would understand this complain, if gettign all these items qould require like a month of gameplay or so, as that would be really too much to get just 1 single character geared fully, as that would be absolutely again a middle finger towards all those people, which play with multiple characters…

125 Dungeon runs.. when you make like 2-3 runs a day thats then just 41 days, so a month and nearly 2 weeks, but doing 2-3 dungeon runs a day doesn’t require 24h beign ingame to do that…
What I meant with a month of gameplay is that if something requires you to play a game for like 30*24hours to aqquire something in the game, what would really be too much where I could understand then the complaint.

/After months of grinding finally collected all Ascended weapons for your main.
/Monthly profession nerf— I mean, re-balance, rendering your current build useless.
/Grind again for months to replace your useless Ascended weapons for new Ascended weapons.
/Rinse and repeat.

Welcome to Play-How-You-Want Wars 2.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

I am thinking that the globs of dark matter are also absurd if you dont want to spend lots of money on exos to salvage. Cheapest would be to salvage exo dungeon armor and wvw exos if you do lots of wvw.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

(edited by Khal Drogo.9631)

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I am being think the globs of dark matter are also absurd if you dont want to spend lots of money on exos to salvage. Cheapest would be to salvage exo dungeon armor and wvw exos if you do lots of wvw.

Cheapest is to salvage the exotics to created to get from 400 to 500

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

I am being think the globs of dark matter are also absurd if you dont want to spend lots of money on exos to salvage. Cheapest would be to salvage exo dungeon armor and wvw exos if you do lots of wvw.

Cheapest is to salvage the exotics to created to get from 400 to 500

Err no you could have sold those to the TP which I did. You can salvage the one exo you are replacing though if u have a replacement skin for a chance.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

I spent about 20g to get weaponsmithing from 400 to 476. Saying it costs 200g is just silly. Stop QQing, start playing, farm those mithril and elder nodes, kill some champs, do some JPs, WvW, dungeons. And you can have it in a month.

Second thing:
Using all 9 weapons of guardian…. why do you need all of them on ascended tier? stat boost is not necessary. It is already easy to play with exotics. Craft only ascended weapon you use 95% of time. Like Greatsword, or Scepter. And craft it to boost your DPS, not base stats. And then play game, have fun… and after sime time you will find out you have another pile of mats to craft second ascended….

guys you are like little kids who need their toys right after they are released… stop crying, start playing.. nobody needs ascended now. They are just something you can work on for longer period of time.

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

You don’t need to get all the weapons… underwater lol. Just take 1-2 weapons for each of the 2 or 3 of your most played chars. Takes still a while… but a lot better than making full sets of all weapons for each of the all 8 classes and all the weapons they can use.

Posted by: AmBoSS.7129

AmBoSS.7129

I don’t get the defenders of this kittening, mindless grind. Yeah, I don’t play 24/7, and I certainly don’t want to farm like a stupid bot. How can anyone enjoy this?

If you played GW1, then you would know that we don’t need ascended gear. That’s just totally useless vertical progression. I mean literally, it’s not useful at all, but some 24/7 grinder have it and thus their character is stronger for no other reason than brainless grind.

Some guys here talk about “yeah, but, what do you want, logging in and getting a full set of ascended?! Hah? Is that fun?!”

To be honest, I would not mind. Because I want players to be on equal stats. If you want to stand out, get some nice looking skins.

Or, just make ascended gear extremly HARD to get. Like really hard, a very hard dungeon with five Liadri as Boss or whatever. I would love that, because I can do it in a reasonable amount of time, I need skill, and thats how it is supposed to be.
Although I would prefer ascended stuff to just be skinns, but well….

MikaHR.1978

I spent about 20g to get weaponsmithing from 400 to 476. Saying it costs 200g is just silly. Stop QQing, start playing, farm those mithril and elder nodes, kill some champs, do some JPs, WvW, dungeons. And you can have it in a month.

Second thing:
Using all 9 weapons of guardian…. why do you need all of them on ascended tier? stat boost is not necessary. It is already easy to play with exotics. Craft only ascended weapon you use 95% of time. Like Greatsword, or Scepter. And craft it to boost your DPS, not base stats. And then play game, have fun… and after sime time you will find out you have another pile of mats to craft second ascended….

guys you are like little kids who need their toys right after they are released… stop crying, start playing.. nobody needs ascended now. They are just something you can work on for longer period of time.

Posted by: One Note Chord.5031

One Note Chord.5031

I actually liked grinding for my legendaries, and I’m looking forward to getting more when they add more. If ascended items were only about the infusion slots, and otherwise had the same stats as exotics, I think they’d be a great addition to the game, because I like fotm, and I’d be okay with working to do higher levels (as long as agony never showed up anywhere else in the game)

The problem, like other people have said, is that the actual additions they’ve made are bad for the game. Even Colin Johanson agrees! He once listed these things as bad to have in a game: “loot drop systems that require doing a dungeon with a tiny chance the item you want can drop at the end, raid systems that need huge numbers of people online simultaneously to organize and play, thousands of wash/repeat item-collection or kill-mob quests or dailies with flavor text support, the best stat gear requiring crazy amounts of time to earn”

So Colin is actively striving to put into GW2 things he thinks are bad. That’s a strange approach, and it’s one we’re concerned about.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
Pre-launch, Colin listed things that make MMOs bad. They are all now in GW2.

(edited by One Note Chord.5031)

kokiman.2364

I actually liked grinding for my legendaries, and I’m looking forward to getting more when they add more. If ascended items were only about the infusion slots, and otherwise had the same stats as exotics, I think they’d be a great addition to the game, because I like fotm, and I’d be okay with working to do higher levels (as long as agony never showed up anywhere else in the game)

The problem, like other people have said, is that the actual additions they’ve made are bad for the game. Even Colin Johanson agrees! He once listed these things as bad to have in a game: “loot drop systems that require doing a dungeon with a tiny chance the item you want can drop at the end, raid systems that need huge numbers of people online simultaneously to organize and play, thousands of wash/repeat item-collection or kill-mob quests or dailies with flavor text support, the best stat gear requiring crazy amounts of time to earn”

So Colin is actively striving to put into GW2 things he thinks are bad. That’s a strange approach, and it’s one we’re concerned about.

Never heard about PR Talk?
Do you also complain about generic asia mmo nr #15123 because they advertise it as an epic mmo with awesome fights?

GuildWars 2

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Assuming everyone uses a one-handed weapon, off-hand weapon, and two-handed weapon, you need 1,500 Empyreal Fragments. Then there’s two underwater weapons. That’s 2,500 Empyreal Fragments.

The best way to get all of those fragments is dungeons. Each dungeon gives 20 Empyreal Fragments. That means all the ascended weapons require 125 dungeon runs. Assuming each dungeon run takes 15 minutes, that’s 31.5 hours of gameplay just for Empyreal Fragments.

If someone wants to do it through jumping puzzles, it will take an average of 625 jumping puzzles to get 2,500 Empyreal Fragments. Assuming each jumping puzzle takes five minutes — a very generous estimate — that’s more than 52 hours of gameplay just for Empyreal Fragments.

As a comparison, it takes 84 temple events to get 2,500 Dragonite Ore. That’s 21 hours of gameplay at most.

Is this intentional?

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base. The rare stuff becomes the really awesome looking armours. It’s all about collecting the unique looking stuff and collecting all the other rare collectable items in the game: armour pieces, potentially different potions – a lot of that is still up in the air and we’ll finalise a lot of those reward systems as we get closer to release. And those come off of things like the bosses at the end of dungeons – the raids.”

Well what about the time gating of the two crafting material (may be more, can only remember 2)? Spiritwood and Lump of Mythril…(?).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Never heard about PR Talk?
Do you also complain about generic asia mmo nr #15123 because they advertise it as an epic mmo with awesome fights?

Seems like a lot of folks were led to believe that GW2 would be an alternative to such things. Guess it was all just PR talk.

The table is a fable.

One Note Chord.5031

Nope. But that generic mmo also wasn’t the sequel to a game that actually did embody the principles that people like Colin were touting during the development of GW2.

I liked GW because it didn’t have vertical progression. I liked the way GW2 sounded because they said it wouldn’t have vertical progression. I liked the first couple months of GW2 because it actually didn’t have vertical progression. Then Lost Shores came, and it was worrying.

Now ascended weapons have come, and those worries have been confirmed. Now there is vertical progression. Now casual players cannot expect to have best in slot gear in anything even remotely resembling a timely fashion.

This isn’t what we were told to expect during the development of GW2, but it’s also not what we were hoping for after GW.

And, again, there’s a difference between promising something and not really delivering, which is what you’re talking about with generic mmos, and actively adding things you explicitly said were bad for games, which is what Colin is now doing.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

It is nice to know that you consider 2 weeks a crazy amount of time. Yes 2 weeks for a average player.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

It is nice to know that you consider 2 weeks a crazy amount of time. Yes 2 weeks for a average player.

Nice to know that I am below average. I guess me and my 13 characters are just not dedicated enough for this game. Alas!

The table is a fable.

One Note Chord.5031

Ascended weapons will not take a casual player 2 weeks to get. Leveling to 500 takes a significant amount of money (or a lot of time spent gathering mats—a lot of time, anyway, for a casual player).

Exotics were great because they were a goal you could reach without a ton of effort. They weren’t automatic when you got to 80, but they weren’t particularly hard to get after that.

Imagine a new player getting their first level 80 character. Now they want an ascended weapon. They still think 5g is a lot, and now they need 100g in mats, whether they gather them or buy them.

(100g might be off, sorry. I haven’t actually done the math, and I’ve seen people throwing lots of numbers around. I’m just estimating roughly from what I’ve used so far/will use in the next few days on my ascended weapon.)

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Nice to know that I am below average. I guess me and my 13 characters are just not dedicated enough for this game. Alas!

Have you been trying to get ascended gear?

I am 1/4 the way there myself. I have not been trying all that hard either. I took a few days off too. The reason why I say average is there are people who already have their ascended.

I find that I can typically make one Dragonite Ingot or Empyreal Star a day. All the other materials I already have plenty of or the things that I do to get Dragonite Ingot or Empyreal Star will also give me the mats for those.

For my playstyle it is harder for me to get empyreal fragment. As I really do not enjoy Jumping puzzles and Dungeon runs on some paths are harder for me to come by. But then the entire point of this is to get players to try other parts of the game.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

(edited by anzenketh.3759)

Posted by: The Talcmaster.7391

The Talcmaster.7391

I agree that the empyreal fragment drops are a little on the low side. Just did Scavenger’s Chasm with some guild mates, expecting a couple from each of the 3 chests (it’s a bit of a long puzzle so it should have been one of the more rewarding ones) but ending up with a whopping 0…

Ignoring weirdness like that, considering that you will end up with a full stack of bloodstone dust from a single Invasion without really trying, I support reducing the amount of dust handed out and increasing the amount of fragments chests and whatnot give. Farming champs is rather mindless and rapid paced, so only a couple dust makes sense, but JP and mini dungeons have genuine time and skill requirements, and adjusting it as mentioned would make both feel more rewarding. It’s that whole risk vs reward thing that people keep mentioning.

Fort Aspenwood – [fury], [SAO], [NICE]
Fun on someone else’s schedule is not fun

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

i really find fun how dungeon players finds hard and grindy to obtain dragonite.
While
Open pve players find hard and gridy to get empyreal fragments.

Same issue as fractal backpack made worse.

If before you had to do one thing that possibly you didn t like, now you almost certainly will be forced to farm something you don t like.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: TexRob.5183

TexRob.5183

Assuming everyone uses a one-handed weapon, off-hand weapon, and two-handed weapon, you need 1,500 Empyreal Fragments. Then there’s two underwater weapons. That’s 2,500 Empyreal Fragments.

The best way to get all of those fragments is dungeons. Each dungeon gives 20 Empyreal Fragments. That means all the ascended weapons require 125 dungeon runs. Assuming each dungeon run takes 15 minutes, that’s 31.5 hours of gameplay just for Empyreal Fragments.

If someone wants to do it through jumping puzzles, it will take an average of 625 jumping puzzles to get 2,500 Empyreal Fragments. Assuming each jumping puzzle takes five minutes — a very generous estimate — that’s more than 52 hours of gameplay just for Empyreal Fragments.

As a comparison, it takes 84 temple events to get 2,500 Dragonite Ore. That’s 21 hours of gameplay at most.

Is this intentional?

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base. The rare stuff becomes the really awesome looking armours. It’s all about collecting the unique looking stuff and collecting all the other rare collectable items in the game: armour pieces, potentially different potions – a lot of that is still up in the air and we’ll finalise a lot of those reward systems as we get closer to release. And those come off of things like the bosses at the end of dungeons – the raids.”

lol, you’re assuming a lot. Why not just assume that everyone wants one of every weapon? How about multiples of every stat combo?

Reality is, most people want 1 or 2. A lot of people are using sub 80, or rare or green underwater weapons for that matter.

I’ve got over 250 already, and it’s been out less than a week, fragments are not the problem. Ore on the other hand, while I have a fair amount, seems like that is going to take a bit longer, but still probably a reasonable drop rate.

Tex Rob 80 War [RICH] GoM