Endgame ?

Endgame ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Alvagon.8710

Alvagon.8710

What is the endgame in GW2 what do you do after getting 80 lvl and full exo gear ?

After seeing this topic " https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Your-goals-in-the-world-of-Tyria "

I feel like this is the answer, and in reality Gw2 is a Pokemon game with the slogan “Get them all” and because im not that type of a person that gives a kitten about collections, Achievement Points etc… I’m getting bored instead longing into the game i write stupid stuff here, like this topic and the concept of endgame in GW2 witch is a sad mystery too me. Well in quest for my answer i found this:

“BY CHARLES ONYETT Right after creating a character and taking your first steps into Guild Wars 2 you’ll be able to participate in what’s essentially end game content. Player versus player arenas can be accessed at any time to hop into short-duration battles between two teams. Or you could drop into the World versus World system”

“Though there’s a lot of complexity to the skill system, its intricacies might be drowned out by the chaos of huge groups swarming into each other and using superior numbers overwhelm all else. ArenaNet hopes to curb the effectiveness of this ‘zerging’ tactic through a variety of objectives and methods to alter the tide of battle”

And this is exactly why i dont like WvW (Endgame):

“So zerging is effective but what we’ve seen is zerging is generally the first step of acceptance into the game. It’s the easiest thing for people to understand. You’re just in a big group, you’re running around, don’t really know what’s going on but [you’re] doing stuff. And then you start picking it up.”

Sadly i have only that kind of experience and am still not able to pick it up.

Source “http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/08/25/guild-wars-2-the-end-game
GUILD WARS 2 / 24 AUG 2012

And if this all is rly true and the Endgame in deed is, or are the pvp modes that i hate so much because of there shabbiness. Did the game end for me even before i got that 80 and exo ?

Endgame ?

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

Endgame ?

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

What would you want to do as end game?

Endgame ?

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

There is no endgame .. or the whole game is endgame. The endgame is that you can
do whatever you want to do.

You are NOT forced to do dungeons and raids again and again here to get your BIS
items.

What is so good in having a big open world and then try to force the player to totally
forget it at max level and only let them creep through dark brown holes now ?

Has the word “endgame” even existed before WoW ? Does anybody remember the
times when it was : The journey is the reward ?

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Endgame ?

Alvagon.8710

Yea i fear that after 2-4 weeks after release i will be in the same exact spot as im now.

What would you want to do as end game?

Duno make WvW more a Strategy + skill rather than a numbers game. Maybe events in PvE impact the world smth like COF event, Guild influence tune it so that doing events not only guild missions gives rewards for your guild not how its now when we sit at stacks of it and don’t have anything 2 spend it on.

Endgame ?

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

GW2 never really had endgame from the start. They kind of went into it with legendary weapons and ascended stuff but by the time you level to 80 you have enough karma/gold to buy exotic gear right away and equip it. Anything beyond that is just farming for mats and gold as far as I can tell and you don’t really need that gear for most of the game. Oh and kiddie events and terribad story lines. I shouldn’t forget those. And the tetris dungeon of course.

GW2 looks great on the outside but for me it’s a game that looks pretty and is cutesie but isn’t more than that. Gear progressions has effectively been shot down now although the game does have the basis for it. What does that leave other than to farm/grind for other stuff that you could buy via the trading post alternatively?

I gave the game another chance last year. I leveled a toon to 80 and bought exotic gear instantly. Then there was some big event going on that I didn’t really get the point of (I was totally out of the story and missed a lot of this living story crap) so I didn’t really bother with it. Then I thought, right I guess I’m done. Logged out and that was that.

Clearly this game is not for everyone and the continued trend of GW2 sales going down roughly 10% every quarter seems indicative of the game losing more than gaining players, at least those who are willing to pay for it.

GW2 still costs 40 bucks around here. I don’t know many MMOs that keep that price so high after having been out for a few years but I guess they have to with a B2P concept. Just not sure how many people are willing to pay full price for a game that’s been out about 2.5 years. You could argue that the price sets a barrier for a lot of people in a world with lots of F2P options.

The expansion, surprising as it was that there is one, generated some interest so I came to have a look but so far I’m not sure will deliver, but I will wait with deciding until after it’s released of course.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Endgame ?

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

The problem is that people still have the ancient MMO mentality that the level and the gear make the end game, and that isn’t how GW2 was designed. Gehenna, Alvagon, the very first thing you have to do before continuing is throwing everything you’ve ever experienced in previous MMO’s out the window, because GW2 is not now nor will it every be like them, and you’ll continue to be sorely disappointed if you keep that mentality.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Endgame ?

Alvagon.8710

The problem is that people still have the ancient MMO mentality that the level and the gear make the end game, and that isn’t how GW2 was designed. Gehenna, Alvagon, the very first thing you have to do before continuing is throwing everything you’ve ever experienced in previous MMO’s out the window, because GW2 is not now nor will it every be like them, and you’ll continue to be sorely disappointed if you keep that mentality.

Y i can see your point in previews MMos i did lvl up got the gear grinding threw the world with my Guild/Clan only to get too the point where we felt rdy to challenge others and the world itself striving for a common goal witch was obtaining a castle
buy a clan hall kill the biggest boss in the game fight for the glory and make name for the guild, Help pll to get to the point in game where the rest of guild was… I miss this…

Endgame ?

Gehenna.3625

No this is a false assumption. I played GW1 for about 7 years and so I was very used to playing a game without endgame gear progression. If anything GW1 is better at that than GW2.

I also object to you using the word mentality as if it’s a bad thing that people have different tastes. That’s just a bad attitude from your side.

Clearly what GW2 offers as endgame is not for everybody. GW2 is not revolutionary. It started on the live servers with Anet talking about slow gear progression with ascended gear and a level cap raise but not to soon. They wanted to take a middle road and offer the best of both worlds. In my view they got the worst of both.

GW2 has terrible story and voice acting.
The zones look really good but there are too many of them.
There are too many levels. Considering what levels get you from unlocks to skill points, there was never a need to have more than 30-35 levels. The rest is just grind.
While leveling you gain enough wealth to buy endgame level gear, so there is nothing pushing you to do more than that.
When I still played it was all about zerging bosses and looting and going around in circles in the same area.
Dungeons were mostly obsolete by default and very buggy at start.
Events are just more of the same. They can be fun but they were often too childish in nature.

So I stopped playing and that’s ok.

I am only here, in case that’s your next question, to see what this new expansion is all about and what I see is that they are going back to their roots of GW1 with this. Just not sure it will be implemented as successfully as it was in GW1 because GW2 simply isn’t GW1.

So really, you seem to like this game and that’s great. You call it revolutionary, I call it boring. The OP here seems to have the same experience I had.

It is of course all my opinion. The continued drop in sales of GW2 of about 10% each quarter however is factual and not my opinion. You decide what that means for you, I already know what that means to me.

But I’ve always said, also back then, that I do hope for the fans that the game persists. I do not gain anything from GW2 dying. In essence my hope is that Anet sticks around and learns from this and makes a GW3 that is much better than this.

Endgame ?

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

End game in this game could be:

Living Story (Lvl 80)
Explorer Dungeons (Lvl 80)
fractals (Lvl 80)
WvW (Lvl 80)
Achievement points
Collections (Lvl 80)
Cosmetics
World bosses (most Lvl 80)
and more…

Sadly there hasn’t been and updates to Dungeons, fractals and WvW for a while and the so called End Game content has been old and booring and thats it.
Call it Stuff, content or End game content it is still stuff to do once you hit level 80. I do not call it End Game content becouse it is not the end of the game. GW2 is evergrowing and it never ends, I see no end in this tunnel.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Endgame ?

Alvagon.8710

Living Story (Lvl 80)
fractals (Lvl 80)
WvW (Lvl 80)
Achievement points
Collections (Lvl 80)
Cosmetics
and more…

Sadly there hasn’t been and updates to Dungeons, fractals and WvW for a while and the so called End Game content has been old and booring and thats it.
Call it Stuff, content or End game content it is still stuff to do once you hit level 80. I do not call it End Game content becouse it is not the end of the game. GW2 is evergrowing and it never ends, I see no end in this tunnel.

So the endgame is a endless repetition of Dungeon/Fractals/World Bosses and more.. while collecting collections in order to unlock some Cosmetics that grant Achievement points upon finishing the Living Story for the sake of distracting you from the endless Gold Grind to buy some more Cosmetics.

Endgame ?

Posted by: Darkness.9732

Darkness.9732

Endgame is quitting this game for me. They haven t fixed ranger after 2 years and half.
No future guys no future

Endgame ?

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Endgame is quitting this game for me. They haven t fixed ranger after 2 years and half.
No future guys no future

Other games haven’t fixed stuff in over 10 years, and those games still have a future.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Endgame ?

Posted by: Hylgeriak.8250

Hylgeriak.8250

Kyrgyz Manas – Gandara[EU]

Endgame ?

Gehenna.3625

No future guys no future

Other games haven’t fixed stuff in over 10 years, and those games still have a future.

Sure it happens in all games and people have quit over it in all games as well. At some point people accept what is or they had enough and end their suffering by doing something they should’ve done a long time ago.

I feel for the guy but really you shouldn’t invest time in a game’s potential. It’s not about what the game could be, but what the game is. I stopped when I realised it wasn’t what it needed to be and I certainly had no faith that Anet would change it.

I am intrigued at the moment because this expansion does remind me of a lot of things that worked in GW1, but then this isn’t GW1 so I am not sure if it’s going to work out either. Time will tell, I certainly won’t try it until the price drops on the expansion. Once bitten twice shy as they say.

Endgame ?

Posted by: Loiterer.4235

Loiterer.4235

No future guys no future

There’s a difference between not fixing some minor bug and not fixing an entire class.

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.

Endgame ?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

No future guys no future

There’s a difference between not fixing some minor bug and not fixing an entire class.

Ranger works fine for a whole lot of people. I know people who love their rangers and play them all the time. They run dungeons with them, do open world events with them, even PvP and WvW with them.

So maybe assuming the profession is unplayable is a gross exaggeration.

Endgame ?

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Duno make WvW more a Strategy + skill rather than a numbers game. Maybe events in PvE impact the world smth like COF event, Guild influence tune it so that doing events not only guild missions gives rewards for your guild not how its now when we sit at stacks of it and don’t have anything 2 spend it on.

get involved with your server community. WvW is often strategy and guarding keeps rather than blob fights. That requires you to know your server community and be assigned some duties though. Try finding a WvW guild

also did you try Spvp?

Endgame ?

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

No future guys no future

In many games, there are classes that aren’t played at all. Do you know why? because they are not viable in PvE or PvP and that includes big titles like WoW.

GW2 isn’t the only MMORPG having this issue. Most games end up with some kind of a class meta where a couple of classes become the ones that get used the most.

Otherwise, Rangers aren’t that bad. If you are calculative, they will mostly probably end up with worse potentional however overall, they are playable and alot of people enjoy playing them alot.

Endgame ?

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Living Story (Lvl 80)
fractals (Lvl 80)
WvW (Lvl 80)
Achievement points
Collections (Lvl 80)
Cosmetics
and more…

So the endgame is a endless repetition of Dungeon/Fractals/World Bosses and more.. while collecting collections in order to unlock some Cosmetics that grant Achievement points upon finishing the Living Story for the sake of distracting you from the endless Gold Grind to buy some more Cosmetics.

Endgame in GW2 is doing whatever sort of content, or combination of sorts of content, you enjoy. There are few barriers to doing any of it, and those are all fairly easily overcome, so that anyone is able to join in with what they want.

As opposed to most MMOs, where endgame is an endless repetition of the same dungeon/raid, in order to get good enough gear to get to a better dungeon/raid, in order to wait a few months so that you need to grind more dungeons/raids to get to yet more dungeons/raids. Oh, and once finished, never do any of them ever again.

But if you just don’t like GW2, that’s fine too. No game can please everyone.

Endgame ?

Gehenna.3625

Ranger works fine for a whole lot of people. I know people who love their rangers and play them all the time. They run dungeons with them, do open world events with them, even PvP and WvW with them.

I think it was another thread where someone mentioned: We’ve learned to deal with it, so should you.

I am not sure if that’s how I would like to define “working fine”. There is still a big difference for me between making it work and working fine.

I think the assumption is yours. He said it needs fixing, not that it’s unplayable as far as I can tell. Perhaps I missed the comment where he actually said it was unplayable. Apologies in advance if that’s the case.

Endgame ?

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

No future guys no future

Is this a promise?

I have skimmed through your posting history. You’re opinion on this game is beyond repair IMO. Do yourself a favor, there are lots of other games out there that might suit your expectations better.

PS: I have a lvl 80 ranger. It’s doing fine.

Endgame ?

Vayne.8563

I think it was another thread where someone mentioned: We’ve learned to deal with it, so should you.

I am not sure if that’s how I would like to define “working fine”. There is still a big difference for me between making it work and working fine.

I think the assumption is yours. He said it needs fixing, not that it’s unplayable as far as I can tell. Perhaps I missed the comment where he actually said it was unplayable. Apologies in advance if that’s the case.

There are bugs in every game. If the bug is minor it’s minor. I play a ranger just fine. I don’t have to “deal with it” even if someone else said so. Since I know a whole lot of people who enjoy their rangers and don’t think they’re bugged, or unplayable, I guess that would remain a matter of opinion. I have no trouble playing my ranger. I don’t have to deal with it. That’s your assumption.

Endgame ?

Gehenna.3625

There are bugs in every game. If the bug is minor it’s minor. I play a ranger just fine. I don’t have to “deal with it” even if someone else said so. Since I know a whole lot of people who enjoy their rangers and don’t think they’re bugged, or unplayable, I guess that would remain a matter of opinion. I have no trouble playing my ranger. I don’t have to deal with it. That’s your assumption.

You call it minor, doesn’t mean it is minor to everybody. You are not the template for mankind as you know, so this is a matter of opinion.

You play a ranger just fine. Again, that’s your opinion, doesn’t mean it’s working fine for everyone.

Just because you don’t have to deal with it, doesn’t mean others don’t feel that way. You are not more right than others or do you claim some sort of divinity here?

When you say you know “a whole lot of people” that’s a very subjective and misleading term. Someone in a village might think 1000 people is alot and someone living in LA might find 10 million people a lot. Give us a number or an estimate. I am pretty sure it might lack the volumes of representing the player base. So again this is personal opinion and experience, not an actual majority or even a big chunk of the player base.

bugged, or unplayable. This is a false comparison. Bugged is not equal to unplayable. Some bugs may literally make a class unplayable but most bugs are not of that category. So yes this is very much personal opinion again.

And your final assumption is that I was saying you were having trouble with it. I didn’t assume you did or do. I simply was indicating that there are people who acknowledge the bug and deal with it. Not that this was your experience.

Of course you do have a tendency to talk as if you have some authority or represent a lot of people and this is why I wanted to show you that not everybody, even the people who do play rangers, consider everything to be just fine.

Endgame ?

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

You call it minor, doesn’t mean it is minor to everybody. You are not the template for mankind as you know, so this is a matter of opinion.

You play a ranger just fine. Again, that’s your opinion, doesn’t mean it’s working fine for everyone.

Just because you don’t have to deal with it, doesn’t mean others don’t feel that way. You are not more right than others or do you claim some sort of divinity here?

When you say you know “a whole lot of people” that’s a very subjective and misleading term. Someone in a village might think 1000 people is alot and someone living in LA might find 10 million people a lot. Give us a number or an estimate. I am pretty sure it might lack the volumes of representing the player base. So again this is personal opinion and experience, not an actual majority or even a big chunk of the player base.

bugged, or unplayable. This is a false comparison. Bugged is not equal to unplayable. Some bugs may literally make a class unplayable but most bugs are not of that category. So please don’t make it sound like these are the same.

And your final assumption is that I said it was saying you were having trouble with it. I didn’t assume you did or do. I simply was indicating that there are people who acknowledge the bug and deal with it. Not that this was your experience.

Of course you do have a tendency to talk as if you have some authority or represent a lot of people and this is why I wanted to show you that not everybody, even the people who do play rangers, consider everything to be just fine.

Do you actually know anything you’re talking about (please do tell me about these ranger bugs), or are you just arguing with Vayne for the sake of arguing with Vayne?

Endgame ?

Vayne.8563

bugged, or unplayable. This is a false comparison. Bugged is not equal to unplayable. Some bugs may literally make a class unplayable but most bugs are not of that category. So please don’t make it sound like these are the same.

And your final assumption is that I said it was saying you were having trouble with it. I didn’t assume you did or do. I simply was indicating that there are people who acknowledge the bug and deal with it. Not that this was your experience.

If people feel the ranger is bad enough to quit over, that is indeed their opinion. And they expressed it. I expressed a contrary opinion. Other people share my opinion. I don’t know why you have a problem with this. I didn’t say this person doesn’t have a right to his opinion, but I do believe he’s overstating his case.

Considering how many 80th level rangers I see running around, I’d have to say I’m not alone.

Endgame ?

Alvagon.8710

This is a completely different topic:

“Having an endgame, thinking you need one, and designing your game around it — this is the core problem of the MMO genre. No matter how hard you spin it, when you create a game with an endgame, you create a game with an end… and not much else.”

Quote from: “http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/03/14/working-as-intended-endgame-is-the-worst-thing-that-ever-happen/

I feel Gw2 is exactly that no endgame you do what you have been doing since lvl 1:
“So the endgame is a endless repetition of Dungeon/Fractals/World Bosses and more.. while collecting collections in order to unlock some Cosmetics that grant Achievement points upon finishing the Living Story for the sake of distracting you from the endless Gold Grind to buy some more Cosmetics.”

While a endgame should be essential to game as it should provide challenge, reward for the veteran players that’s why you have ppl soloing dungeons because after the time has passed they do not provide any sort of challenge, not only that but soloing a dungeon path can earn you much more gold than a 5 man full run and this should be an MMO after all.

Endgame ?

Gehenna.3625

If people feel the ranger is bad enough to quit over, that is indeed their opinion. And they expressed it. I expressed a contrary opinion. Other people share my opinion. I don’t know why you have a problem with this. I didn’t say this person doesn’t have a right to his opinion, but I do believe he’s overstating his case.

Considering how many 80th level rangers I see running around, I’d have to say I’m not alone.

This is a much more balanced way of bringing your opinion. Would’ve been great if that was actually the topic here.

You do realise you were reacting to a single comment made by someone who isn’t the OP?

Endgame ?

Vayne.8563

This is a much more balanced way of bringing your opinion. Would’ve been great if that was actually the topic here.

You do realise you were reacting to a single comment made by someone who isn’t the OP?

Sorry but your post is off topic. If this is an issue for you, why do you keep responding to me about an off topic post? Does that really make sense to you.

On topic: As far the end game game goes. it is weak for people who want challenging content. That has always been the case. Hopefully the expansion will fill that gap.

Endgame ?

Alvagon.8710

Class is not so tragic ppl playing it are, push backs require positioning and pets demand attention.

Endgame ?

Gehenna.3625

Sorry but your post is off topic. If this is an issue for you, why do you keep responding to me about an off topic post? Does that really make sense to you.

On topic: As far the end game game goes. it is weak for people who want challenging content. That has always been the case. Hopefully the expansion will fill that gap.

I think you care more about this game and forum than I do, so it might be more important to you to stay on topic. Do not see us as equals in this. I remember you not being happy with people going off topic in the past but I might be wrong. I just get annoyed by your way of posting till I challenge you and you finally say what you mean. I am just pointing out that you were going off topic because I thought you are the kind of person who prefers threads stay on topic here. For me that’s not so important.

But this doesn’t benefit anyone, even myself, so I will also get back on topic and leave this for what it is. You may have the final off topic comment if you need it.

GW2 has very little real challenge except fighting boredom and repetition from my experience. That’s why I quit. The content that you get to do is not very interesting and the boss fights (unless something has changed recently) were generally the dodge and ress kind, regardless of what skills or class you brought.

You look forward to what the expansion will bring. I think that means that you agree at least to some point that the current endgame is lacking in that department. But that aside, I wonder if the new expansion can actualy deliver this.

I hope for people it does, but I am not so sure it will. It will probably add some new elements to the game but will it be considered challenging and interesting for more than a month? I honestly don’t know but considering the foundation of this game and how the mechanics are, I am not expecting it.

I think the expansion is geared more towards customer retention of the existing player base and generating a spike in sales that have been goind down steadily as the financial reports have shown. An understandable move but I do hope that doing a 180 about expansions and level cap raises will help.

The only thing that does look a little interesting is that mastery thing…but it looks like just adding a few things to the game, not necessarily adding challenge to the game.

Endgame ?

Loiterer.4235

I used to love my ranger but then as I started spending more and more time on other characters as a consequence of leveling alts with friends, I realized that to love the ranger I had to make a lot of compromises. Something that I don’t need to do on other classes and at this point the only classes I haven’t yet played are the warrior and the necromancer.

It’s an amazing class IF you avoid dungeons, avoid fractals, trait either into the beastmaster line to have somewhat viable pets or into nature magic to act as a buff bot, don’t use their signature weapon outside of PvP, accept that you’ll spend more time in melee range than not, accept that even beastmaster traited pets will spend more time being dead than not, resign to the fact that several achievements are either uncompletable or made extremely hard because the pets can’t be stowed permanently and don’t bother with jumping puzzles that have enemies in them as the pets will magically port to those then engage them at the most inopportune times thus constantly keeping you in combat or suprise putting you in combat mid-jump.

I can do dungeons but my class is the least desired next to engineers so unless I get some friends together who don’t mind being kitten with a ranger in the team, I won’t be running a lot of them.

My class’ core mechanic is utterly unviable unless I pick specific traits. At least 30% of my DPS is tied to an NPC companion with laggy controls, buggy AI and the inability to stay alive for more than three seconds in an AoE. Which is very unfortunate because this game has more AoE than Twilight vampires have glitter on them. My pet can not be stowed permanently.

I could go on but I’m sure you get what I’m trying to say. The essence of playing a ranger is learning to work around an inordinate amount of bugs or design flaws. Whatever you wish to categorize them as. That’s not fine.

/edit

In many games, there are classes that aren’t played at all. Do you know why? because they are not viable in PvE or PvP and that includes big titles like WoW.

Name one class that isn’t played at all in WoW. I’m waiting.

Blizzard isn’t the epitome of class balance but they’re doing a far better job since WOTLK than Arenanet did in this game or its prequel. (Wammo, anyone?)

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.

(edited by Loiterer.4235)

Endgame ?

Gehenna.3625

Blizzard isn’t the epitome of class balance but they’re doing a far better job since WOTLK than Arenanet did in this game or its prequel. (Wammo, anyone?)

The Wammo became the laughing stock at some point. The dual class system of GW1 was a rich feeding ground for imbalance but at least classes were about something and Anet did do a lot there to try to balance it. Even to the point of bringing in PvE only skills and making PvP and PvE versions of the same skill.

I always felt that giving the same skill set to PvE and PvP was a mistake in any game but I also think that imbalances fuel PvP as much as it causes frustration. There is a limit though and I know that I enjoyed PvP much more in GW1 than in GW2 when I still played. The maps like JQ and also Random Arena’s were not perfect but they were fun to do. I just never understood why GW2 didn’t build on that success. WvW wasn’t bad but it did get boring faster than I would’ve liked. That could’ve been a good one for endgame really. Maybe the new stuff will help.

I just sometimes get the feeling that the newer developers that ended up making GW2 were just scoffing at the GW1 teams and now are realising they had some pretty good ideas back then.

At some point though you reach max level and then the question is: Now what? How well that question can be answered depends on the person but also on what the game does or doesn’t provide.

Endgame ?

Loiterer.4235

The Wammo became the laughing stock at some point. The dual class system of GW1 was a rich feeding ground for imbalance but at least classes were about something and Anet did do a lot there to try to balance it. Even to the point of bringing in PvE only skills and making PvP and PvE versions of the same skill.

I applaud them as well for that and continue to make subtle jabs at Blizzard on the WoW forum as the balance cycle seems to mainly shift around the problem of the devs being determined to juggle the same set of skills in PvP and PvE.

As I mentioned, they’re not the epitome of class balance but it has to be said that I haven’t seen something as bad the GW2 ranger since pre-Zul’Gurub days when the survival hunter’s top tier skill was a DoT that did less damage than another DoT that they got at lower levels.

Lacerate / 2004 – 2005 / never forget

Arenanet did a great job by breaking up the more problematic skills into PvE and PvP versions but then I don’t know whappened. The fact that ranger pets still can’t reliably attack moving targets after three years + beta is… mindblowing.

Endgame ?

Gehenna.3625

I applaud them as well for that and continue to make subtle jabs at Blizzard on the WoW forum as the balance cycle seems to mainly shift around the problem of the devs being determined to juggle the same set of skills in PvP and PvE.

As I mentioned, they’re not the epitome of class balance but it has to be said that I haven’t seen something as bad the GW2 ranger since pre-Zul’Gurub days when the survival hunter’s top tier skill was a DoT that did less damage than another DoT that they got at lower levels.

Lacerate / 2004 – 2005 / never forget

Arenanet did a great job by breaking up the more problematic skills into PvE and PvP versions but then I don’t know whappened. The fact that ranger pets still can’t reliably attack moving targets after three years + beta is… mindblowing.

Yeh I never liked the ranger in GW2 so haven’t played one but that does seem like a rotten situation.

But endgame surely is more than just class balance or a single class not working right or as desired.

My issue lies for example with the classes all having the same role and sharing more and more weapon types. The expansion will increase that. It makes it less interesting for me to try out different classes because they are too similar. For me alting is something I do a lot in games I play. So that’s part of my endgame approach if you will. GW2 is the first game that I could barely level 1 character to 80. I had 19 toons in GW1, I have 21 in SWTOR. Neither are perfect games but both I enjoy(ed) more than GW2 also because leveling was fun. GW1 had a lot of story for level 20. That worked fine for me. I liked how they did the missions and how you progressed over the map. It felt like you were going somewhere with all of that. The actual leveling there became less important than the progression over the maps and story.

Increased difficulty levels came with HM missions and clearing zones in HM. And there were special zones like UW, the Deep, DoA etc. that were a big deal. I think with all the stuff that does happen in GW2 it just doesn’t feel like it’s going anywhere. And that feeling is important to me at least.

I think a person can be more forgiving to flaws in a game when the game itself offers what you need from it. Even if they fixed the ranger issues, whatever they all may be, I think you might find that it just clears the path to the next annoyance you haven’t dealt with. But that’s just my idea, I don’t know how you feel about that yourself.

Endgame ?

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Living Story (Lvl 80)
fractals (Lvl 80)
WvW (Lvl 80)
Achievement points
Collections (Lvl 80)
Cosmetics
and more…

I dunno what end game content is but thats what I beleave it is… Please tell me how does end game content work? what is it in other games?

Edit:
Oh, btw… Gold grind? I havent grinded/Farmed any gold in this game since I started playing at headstart. Compaired to other MMO’s where I have been forced to farm the last dungeon over and over again to get the best gear to be usefull in PvP.
I have enjoyed GW2 since day 1 and still enjoy it, I do not farm or grind becouse I do not like it, I only do the stuff I like to do and I play with friends to make the game even more entertaining.

(edited by EdgarMTanaka.7291)

Endgame ?

Loiterer.4235

I think a person can be more forgiving to flaws in a game when the game itself offers what you need from it. Even if they fixed the ranger issues, whatever they all may be, I think you might find that it just clears the path to the next annoyance you haven’t dealt with. But that’s just my idea, I don’t know how you feel about that yourself.

That is true. In fact, I just came after a rather long break. A year and a couple of months. Maybe even a year and a half. Haven’t been counting. While I have achieved great many things, at the end there I was with multiple level 80 characters and not much to do with them.

The ranger was my main initially so the lack of fixes narrowed down its viability and my participation in the different kinds of content even further.

Endgame ?

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

sorry man, yeah, i am outside the box, i dont think mmos really need levels or arbitrary stat increases, but gw2 is very shallow when it comes to things that show mastery of the game, or depth.
endgame in gw2, is mostly about pursuing cosmetics, not bad on its own, however, the ways in which you actually do it, and the amount of repeition based activity, is not a good deal.

a lot of their good features, that could be endgame like, are not well developed/fleshed out.

however they suggest that the expansion will be the new endgame. Lets see how that works out

Endgame ?

Posted by: karakurt.8690

karakurt.8690

No endgame after exotic sets done there is just grinding ascended items and legendary and then grind for another character.

Endgame ?

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Living Story (Lvl 80)
fractals (Lvl 80)
WvW (Lvl 80)
Achievement points
Collections (Lvl 80)
Cosmetics
and more…

1)living story, basically endgame story, true, but the experience isnt very compelling to me.
2)only the last two explorable dungeons, and the twilight path make full use of your abilities, all the rest can be done before 80.
3)fractals, definately endgame, but still fairly shallow, too many repitions per difficulty increase. you dont really have to beat it 30 times to be ready for level 30
4)WvW definately endgame, but its a very specific market, those who like massive multiplayer PVP (zerg versus zerg)
5)Achievements, i wouldnt call this endgame, its mostly just repetions, aside from like jump puzzles, and mini dungeons. (kill 1000 rats, is an achievement, but its not an endgame)
6)collections guess this is endgame for collectors,
7)cosmetics is basically same as collections
8)world bosses, are not really endgame, most of them require no skills other than showing up.

all in all i would say that list could be cut to,
wvw
fractals
collecting/cosmetics

main problem is other than collecting/cosmetics, WvW and fractals are fairly shallow. in the first couple weeks of WvW, you probably experienced most of it. fractals, likewise.
cosmetics is pretty large, but the method of obtaining most cosmetics is very poor/grindy, so it doesnt enhance the game much.

Endgame ?

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Tradepost, because there are no drops in this game, there is no endgame.

Endgame ?

Posted by: Brahmincorle.1264

Brahmincorle.1264

Tradepost, because there are no drops in this game, there is no endgame.

QFT

Also epic open world boss fights like Shatterer the Punching Bag, Fire Elemental a.k.a “wait 10 minutes for 10 seconds long fight”, MC Jormag also known as “stand here and autoattack with long bow” and ofc collecting carved bone spoons xD

Endgame ?

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

If you are asking for endgame, just stop and go play different game and save yourself and us the QQ.

Guild wars 2 for all it similarities to other mmorpg is at the very least different due to its lack of gear treadmill known as endgame

I hear WoW and FF14 gots that endgame. Gw2 endgame is looking pretty and playing trade post supposedly.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Endgame ?

Posted by: Eli Stormstrike.8637

Eli Stormstrike.8637

Living Story (Lvl 80)
fractals (Lvl 80)
WvW (Lvl 80)
Achievement points
Collections (Lvl 80)
Cosmetics
and more…

Sounds like you’re burned out, played too much for too long, have too much spare time spent gaming GW2, and have become jaded with the game. You don’t leave however because you like GW2 and MMORPG’s, so you post on the forums hoping the devs will take notice and improve the game.

Alas, no one will care.

I suggest you take a break and when you return after a few months or a year, the game will be much more fun, as it has been for me.

Endgame ?

Gehenna.3625

Sounds like you’re burned out, played too much for too long, have too much spare time spent gaming GW2, and have become jaded with the game. You don’t leave however because you like GW2 and MMORPG’s, so you post on the forums hoping the devs will take notice and improve the game.

Alas, no one will care.

I suggest you take a break and when you return after a few months or a year, the game will be much more fun, as it has been for me.

Or not.

Endgame ?

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Alas, no one will care.

Or not.

Op is a big boy, he doesn’t need you to speak for him.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Endgame ?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Has the word “endgame” even existed before WoW ? Does anybody remember the times when it was : The journey is the reward ?

I don’t know if it was specifically WoW that started it but it was around then. I remember reading about GW1 shortly before it was released (so shortly before WoW was released as well) and several articles felt the need to comment on the, then unusual, fact that it had an overall story line and could therefore be ‘finished’ and reassured readers that didn’t mean you had to stop playing.

As far as I remember it most MMOs before then, like Ultima Online, Everquest, Runescape etc. were more free-roaming. I don’t remember UO having any story at all, except maybe a bit of background on each area and dungeon. It was entirely about where you wanted to go and what you wanted to do there.

Which is pretty much how I’ve been playing GW2 since getting to level 80 on my main. You can finish your story (or you might have never started it), you can do dungeons, explore the map, do the living story, do WvW or PvP, collect skins and items, make a legendary, experiment with builds. Or you can do all of it.

Rather than looking for someone else to have designated specific parts of the game as ‘end game’ and telling you that is what you now must do look at everything that’s available in the entire game and then do whatever you want.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Endgame ?

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

I don’t really understand what “endgame” means. It seems to have no real definition and the people complaining about it’s lack can’t come up an actual definition either.

It’s usually referring to a power creep based carrot&stick&treadmill system.

There are an enormous amount of games using that model already. It’s likely the people complaining here came from one or more of those games already and their expectations of “endgame” are colored by those experiences. It would be good for them to reflect on why they grew dissatisfied with those games before asking for this game to be polluted by that nonsense.

Want to know what endgame is in GW2? It’s developing personal skill. Your gear (read: time you have to grind, or money to waste depending on game) doesn’t make you better. You make you better.

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

Endgame ?

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Living Story (Lvl 80)
fractals (Lvl 80)
WvW (Lvl 80)
Achievement points
Collections (Lvl 80)
Cosmetics
and more…

1)living story, basically endgame story, true, but the experience isnt very compelling to me.
2)only the last two explorable dungeons, and the twilight path make full use of your abilities, all the rest can be done before 80.
3)fractals, definately endgame, but still fairly shallow, too many repitions per difficulty increase. you dont really have to beat it 30 times to be ready for level 30
4)WvW definately endgame, but its a very specific market, those who like massive multiplayer PVP (zerg versus zerg)
5)Achievements, i wouldnt call this endgame, its mostly just repetions, aside from like jump puzzles, and mini dungeons. (kill 1000 rats, is an achievement, but its not an endgame)
6)collections guess this is endgame for collectors,
7)cosmetics is basically same as collections
8)world bosses, are not really endgame, most of them require no skills other than showing up.

all in all i would say that list could be cut to,
wvw
fractals
collecting/cosmetics

main problem is other than collecting/cosmetics, WvW and fractals are fairly shallow. in the first couple weeks of WvW, you probably experienced most of it. fractals, likewise.
cosmetics is pretty large, but the method of obtaining most cosmetics is very poor/grindy, so it doesnt enhance the game much.

Still… I don’t count it as end game… I count it as content and I like it, well most of it, not all of it. I have enjoyed GW2 since release so you and me are way to different but also I do not do the stuff over and over again. I do a little here and a little there and some stuff there and maby some day I go back there with some new ppl and do it again and then I do something there… And you may think LS is shallow, I think it is wonderfull and I cant wait to see the next part of the story. But what is most important is that I do not see any part in this game as End game.
So by looking at the game with another view this game could be more enjoyable than, what can I do once I reach level 80?
I havent gotten to much end game content in that many other MMO’s but the one I played before GW2 had endgame content and it was do 4 mini dungeons (More like 4 bosses) to unlock the big dungeon (More like a bigger boss) once a week and beat him and pray that you are lucky and get the loot you need. If you didn’t get it, repeat. If you got it repeat again to get another one to get the next part of the armor and repeat. Me and my guild did this for once a week for over 4 months… That was to get a good armor so I could go out in PvP to be good enough to make any difference. It was so little content compaired to what GW2 has to offer me.

So I will ask again ‘What is Endgame Content?

Endgame ?

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Endgame is to constantly getting better without ever getting better, and without even
really want to get better, because if you would really get better, you constantly start to
cry that everything is too easy and there is no challenge.

Its really funny how people have been trained to do and endless Sysyphos job and think
thats the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I still blame WoW on that, since i never heared people talk about “endgame” in Lineage
or EQ2 that was released before WoW.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.