Endgame beeing gemstore isn't good!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

If they insist on keeping the cash shop, they should take after Rift’s example. Their shop is actually very fair.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

All they care about is money?
That’s why they allow you to EASILY trade in in-game gold (that’s worthless to them despite popular believe) for gems so you can get your stuff like it was from any other in-game vendor.
Also, the substantial amount of content you get FOR FREE with living story updates, would they be an eager money company, they’d either just pack it in a payed expansion or charge admission with gems, and by the way, the gems then couldn’t be bought with gold, only real money.

That is not actually true. The gold itself might be worthless but the act of trading it is not. If there was no exchange and ANet simply sold the gold for cash to whoever wanted to buy it then it would be a very different game. I am certain there are people would not have bought the game if they did it that way.

As for these free updates … very few had enough to offer to be worth paying for. Something like the most recent Halloween isn’t much different from the free events in a typical free to play game.

Posted by: Leeto.1570

Leeto.1570

Im not saying dont add skins in gemstore or something but something like 2 sets in game 1 in store or 1:1 ratios or i dont know 1 in game and 2 in store but kitten something more than 0 in game and 18 in store.
At first i thought living story is just excuse to put stuff in gemstore like “oh heres small aetherblade mission now buy these sets from gemstore” but no they add more gear with no meaning… from where is this zodiac gear? have we ever even encountered anything in gw2 that has smth to do with zodiacs?
Ofcourse there is no rewards for doing content cause every reward they make they sell in gemstore.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

“If getting gold as best as you can is something you like to do”. I do not like to do that.

“I mean how often do you want to be payed for work you have done in real life with eggs or food or any thing other then money?” Exactly my point. This gold-grind makes it feel like work.

I don’t want it to be like real life. How often do I get to kill a dragon in real life?

I have now also said multiple times that as long as you do not make all items account-bound gold will always be an option to get those items. So I don’t take that part away.

Tokens is the same. it’s farming for an item. However the token system is not bad as an extra. If you would have specific drops from bosses in dungeons that would be great and while you do that dungeon multiple times for that item in the meanwhile you at least get the tokens and so eventually get a full dungeon-set. So it’s a nice extra but not so fun as working directly for an item.

And maybe the fact that everybody can make money and then buy everything is what devaluates all those items.

Anyway with making items drop from specific content you do not take the gold-option away. At least not for the items that are not account-bound.

You seem to think its the only way to play the game or you would not view the gem story as being that big in the game.

You comply miss my point this is a question of gold vs tokens gold is universal tokens are only for a small number of things there for tokens system become more restrictive in what you can do to get something where gold is something that allows for any use. This is the def of what money in real life was ideally to work and that why we use it over a barred system.

You often do not get too far from real life in a game or you would simply be unable to relate to that game. Every day that you have a challenges in real life is fighting a dragon just because its not a real thing dose not make getting over something less like “fighting a dragon.”

But all skins ARE account bound from here on forever stop making things and saying thing the way they are not. We are talking about skins and skin alone all gemstore armor are nothing but skins much like you would buy skins for LoL they do nothing for the game but are simple add on that ppl can get.

Your so comply confusing your self here GOLD AND MONEY ARE A TOKEN SYSTEM they are just universal tokens unlike getting tokens from a dungeon that you can only spend on that dungeon.

See at one point you sound like you want every one to be able to get these items and then the next you sould like its a good thing that they cant or you want to make it so they cant. Money is a way to make sure both things can happen.

If: The cost is greater then the cost to get something then no one will get it If: the cost is equal or less then the cost of getting something then ppl will get it ppl have gem store items therefor the cost must be less or equal for these ppl to get these items. If it was truly boring to make gold in GW2 then ppl would not do it same with evens, zergs, etc… your trying to hold hostages (with a very small pop. of gw2 point of view) the game.

In a game like GW2 items mean nothing only the skins from though items and all thoughts skins are account bound. If this game was truly a money grab that ppl like to make it out to be then skins would of not been made account bound nor would dyes nor would even top level gear. Anet is really trying to work with the GW2 communally and these forums are doing every thing they can to get in the way.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

“If getting gold as best as you can is something you like to do”. I do not like to do that.

“I mean how often do you want to be payed for work you have done in real life with eggs or food or any thing other then money?” Exactly my point. This gold-grind makes it feel like work.

I don’t want it to be like real life. How often do I get to kill a dragon in real life?

I have now also said multiple times that as long as you do not make all items account-bound gold will always be an option to get those items. So I don’t take that part away.

Tokens is the same. it’s farming for an item. However the token system is not bad as an extra. If you would have specific drops from bosses in dungeons that would be great and while you do that dungeon multiple times for that item in the meanwhile you at least get the tokens and so eventually get a full dungeon-set. So it’s a nice extra but not so fun as working directly for an item.

And maybe the fact that everybody can make money and then buy everything is what devaluates all those items.

Anyway with making items drop from specific content you do not take the gold-option away. At least not for the items that are not account-bound.

You seem to think its the only way to play the game or you would not view the gem story as being that big in the game.

You comply miss my point this is a question of gold vs tokens gold is universal tokens are only for a small number of things there for tokens system become more restrictive in what you can do to get something where gold is something that allows for any use. This is the def of what money in real life was ideally to work and that why we use it over a barred system.

You often do not get too far from real life in a game or you would simply be unable to relate to that game. Every day that you have a challenges in real life is fighting a dragon just because its not a real thing dose not make getting over something less like “fighting a dragon.”

But all skins ARE account bound from here on forever stop making things and saying thing the way they are not. We are talking about skins and skin alone all gemstore armor are nothing but skins much like you would buy skins for LoL they do nothing for the game but are simple add on that ppl can get.

Your so comply confusing your self here GOLD AND MONEY ARE A TOKEN SYSTEM they are just universal tokens unlike getting tokens from a dungeon that you can only spend on that dungeon.

See at one point you sound like you want every one to be able to get these items and then the next you sould like its a good thing that they cant or you want to make it so they cant. Money is a way to make sure both things can happen.

If: The cost is greater then the cost to get something then no one will get it If: the cost is equal or less then the cost of getting something then ppl will get it ppl have gem store items therefor the cost must be less or equal for these ppl to get these items. If it was truly boring to make gold in GW2 then ppl would not do it same with evens, zergs, etc… your trying to hold hostages (with a very small pop. of gw2 point of view) the game.

In a game like GW2 items mean nothing only the skins from though items and all thoughts skins are account bound. If this game was truly a money grab that ppl like to make it out to be then skins would of not been made account bound nor would dyes nor would even top level gear. Anet is really trying to work with the GW2 communally and these forums are doing every thing they can to get in the way.

One poster some time ago said something like this in another thread: “GW2 in its pre-release plans had dyes as account bound. Then, an opinion came, from a marketing division, to make them character bound.” ( no idea what his source was, though, so approach it with a distance )

Please, remember, the skins were made into a “wardrobe system” only after tons of complaints from the playerbase recently.

It kinda negates all your arguments.

Still, I loved GW – still consider it the best MMO of all time, next to Lineage – and I do have hopes for GW2 that they will, as you say, finally listen to the crowds and give us expansion-worthy content this year. Permanent stuff, above all.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

(edited by Corpus Christi.2057)

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

One poster some time ago said something like this in another thread: “GW2 in its pre-release plans had dyes as account bound. Then, an opinion came, from a marketing division, to make them character bound.”

I suppose the same poster “forgot” to mention the fact that those account-bound dyes were much worse than the character bound system we had at release, right?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Jski.6180

One poster some time ago said something like this in another thread: “GW2 in its pre-release plans had dyes as account bound. Then, an opinion came, from a marketing division, to make them character bound.” ( no idea what his source was, though, so approach it with a distance )

Please, remember, the skins were made into a “wardrobe system” only after tons of complaints from the playerbase recently.

Still, I loved GW – still consider it the best MMO of all time, next to Lineage – and I do have hopes for GW2 that they will, as you say, finally listen to the crowds and give us expansion-worthy content this year. Permanent stuff, above all.

No sry it dose not negate any of my argument my point is that if Anet truly wanted to make more money then skins and dye would not be account bound because it makes ppl buy more who want them because ppl buy things because they want to not because they need to in GW2.

BTW a lot of ppl out right lie about there info you realty do need to have some backing even if it a logic backing that i am trying to present.

There been a lot of permanent stuff added in that are expansion-worthy but the story do end and the progression of the story must keep moving forwarded. Each LS is part of a bigger story this is an expansion of the GW2 world. And all story are permanent even the GW1 story is still part of GW2.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

What you do not get is that in a game some people like to directly work towards an goal or an item. That is the way they like to play, that is content for them and that is what gives that item more value.

By making gold everything.. you want to level crafting? grind gold, you want a skin? grind gold, you want a mini? grind gold, you want a legendary? mainly grind gold. If you prefer hunting down items, if you like the added value of an item because of it’s specific drop then this gold is everything is not fun, it boring and it feels like a bad job. Yeah you can still do any (well many) type of content to earn the gold but you can not do specific content to get the specific drop. All I say is that as long as you do not make it account-bound those who prefer to grind gold still can.

It’s the loot-system and the cash-shop (both related) that make everything = gold in this game and it’s one of the reasons a group of players is not satisfied with the game. Believe it or not.

Devata.6589

While nobody can say for sure it came from the marketing team (as they don’t tell that) it came right after they hired a new monetize person coming from a game infamous for it’s cash-shop approach. Whenever that link get’s posted the thread tents to get closed with some bad excuse so if you like to see the source google for “nexon buys arenanet monetize dyes” then it should end up pretty high.

Devata.6589

One poster some time ago said something like this in another thread: “GW2 in its pre-release plans had dyes as account bound. Then, an opinion came, from a marketing division, to make them character bound.”

I suppose the same poster “forgot” to mention the fact that those account-bound dyes were much worse than the character bound system we had at release, right?

Account-bound dyes is worse then character-bound dyes?

You know what would have also been better. If also dyes would not be a gold-grind but specific colors would be available for specific content. So some orange mob can drop that orange color.

Now there is reason to go explore the world and hunt those things down. But sadly also getting dyes is just done by grinding gold. Or buying gold but that does not count as that is not playing the game.

Jski.6180

What you do not get is that in a game some people like to directly work towards an goal or an item. That is the way they like to play, that is content for them and that is what gives that item more value.

By making gold everything.. you want to level crafting? grind gold, you want a skin? grind gold, you want a mini? grind gold, you want a legendary? mainly grind gold. If you prefer hunting down items, if you like the added value of an item because of it’s specific drop then this gold is everything is not fun, it boring and it feels like a bad job. Yeah you can still do any (well many) type of content to earn the gold but you can not do specific content to get the specific drop. All I say is that as long as you do not make it account-bound those who prefer to grind gold still can.

It’s the loot-system and the cash-shop (both related) that make everything = gold in this game and it’s one of the reasons a group of players is not satisfied with the game. Believe it or not.

And GW2 system make it so playing with other ppl dose not make you less gold like other mmorpgs but makes you more gold so yes getting gold IS TEAM CONTENT and by doing it with a team those skins are more meaningful to you as a player.

Its a gold system that you can buy any thing you want and there by do any thing you want to get this gold with out the fear of only getting a set number of items (so you can help your friends do one event and still get meaningful loot as in gold or items to make gold and they can do events with you and get the same). The other system is a pure RNG as in you must kill this mob to get a drop or you must run this even to get a drop (meaning if your friends do not need it then they are less likely to help you because they are being left out and punished for doing events that do not help them self.) The last main system is a token system much like a gold system but more like an RNG system (so in a way its the worst of both worlds.)

Let me leave you with this: You run a dungeon in any other game you run that dungeon mostly for items that drop from that dungeon so only ppl who want these items go to this dungeon once they get these items they are done with it. In GW2 you run a dungeon to get items from that dungeon AND the gold that it give you because you can use this gold to get things you want so once you get what you need from dungeon in GW2 you can keep going back to get more items you want from the gold generated from these runs.

lordkrall.7241

While nobody can say for sure it came from the marketing team (as they don’t tell that) it came right after they hired a new monetize person coming from a game infamous for it’s cash-shop approach. Whenever that link get’s posted the thread tents to get closed with some bad excuse so if you like to see the source google for “nexon buys arenanet monetize dyes” then it should end up pretty high.

No it didn’t.
Said person was hired March 2012.
The change to dyes were made in June 8th 2012.

That is 3 months. Not “right after”.
And people still seems to completely ignore the fact that the original system was even worse and was pushing you way more to the gem-store than the release version ever did.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Devata.6589

No sry it dose not negate any of my argument my point is that if Anet truly wanted to make more money then skins and dye would not be account bound because it makes ppl buy more who want them because ppl buy things because they want to not because they need to in GW2.

[/quote]
I am afraid it does not work that way and Anet found out that for them-self. With char-bound dyes most people will likely not try to collect them all because then they would have to do that for all the chars. So in stead they only take the colors they really want.

Now if they make it account-bound people are more likely to try and collect them all.

in fact I personally did get much more dyes after the patch that made them account-bound then in the 1,5 years before.

BTW a lot of ppl out right lie about there info you realty do need to have some backing even if it a logic backing that i am trying to present.

There been a lot of permanent stuff added in that are expansion-worthy but the story do end and the progression of the story must keep moving forwarded. Each LS is part of a bigger story this is an expansion of the GW2 world. And all story are permanent even the GW1 story is still part of GW2.

Many people seem to feel different about that.
Just as many people seem to feel different about the gold = everything and how great that is according to you.

lordkrall.7241

The original system (finding seed, put seed in home-instance, wait for 24h or pay for gem-store item for instant growth) was worse than the system we had at release yes.
The release system made it fully possible to get every single dye without every spending any real money in a few weeks, while the BWE1 system would make that impossible, seeing as each dye took 24h or costed gems.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Devata.6589

And GW2 system make it so playing with other ppl dose not make you less gold like other mmorpgs but makes you more gold so yes getting gold IS TEAM CONTENT and by doing it with a team those skins are more meaningful to you as a player.

Yeah I am sure all those champ-train runners feel there rewards are much more valuable because they urned the gold by running champ trains.. Really who are you fooling here? Me or yourself?

Its a gold system that you can buy any thing you want and there by do any thing you want to get this gold with out the fear of only getting a set number of items (so you can help your friends do one event and still get meaningful loot as in gold or items to make gold and they can do events with you and get the same). The other system is a pure RNG as in you must kill this mob to get a drop or you must run this even to get a drop (meaning if your friends do not need it then they are less likely to help you because they are being left out and punished for doing events that do not help them self.) The last main system is a token system much like a gold system but more like an RNG system (so in a way its the worst of both worlds.)

I am not advertising a token system here so lets forget that for a moment.
Earning gold is for much of the content also still just RNG. Running champ trains as some do will RNG drop random items and they sell them to make money.

If items drop from specific content and you run that content with a friend because he needs it it will still be able to reward you because if one of those items drop you can sell them for gold. Your story would only hold true if all those items would only be account or character bound what I already said multiple times does not have to be the case for most items.

I am not taking away the gold-option I just add another one (and yes then gold might not be the most optimal anymore but it;s still an option).

Let me leave you with this: You run a dungeon in any other game you run that dungeon mostly for items that drop from that dungeon so only ppl who want these items go to this dungeon once they get these items they are done with it. In GW2 you run a dungeon to get items from that dungeon AND the gold that it give you because you can use this gold to get things you want so once you get what you need from dungeon in GW2 you can keep going back to get more items you want from the gold generated from these runs.

With getting items from a dungeon you mean the token system I guess? Yes that is a nice EXTRA that as EXTRA I do not say is bad. But so far there are not yet many specific drops in dungeons.
And you can do exactly the same in those dungeons in MMO’s where you have specific drops if that is what you wish to do. The fact that indeed most people don’t only seem to proof that grinding gold is not the preferred game-play for many. But also in those games you could run that dungeon over and over again and then simply sell those items on the TP to make money.

Devata.6589

The original system (finding seed, put seed in home-instance, wait for 24h or pay for gem-store item for instant growth) was worse than the system we had at release yes.
The release system made it fully possible to get every single dye without every spending any real money in a few weeks, while the BWE1 system would make that impossible, seeing as each dye took 24h or costed gems.

We where talking about account-bound vs character-bound. Not how you had to earn them. Yeah original planned way to earn them was pretty bad and that changed after a storm-load of negative feedback.

Jski.6180

@ Devata.6589 (its getting to long)

I do not run champ trans and when i did at worst i did 1hr and i talked to ppl running it and they talked back ppl even get on ts and talk when they are running it your fooling your self if you think online games are for any thing else but human contact all mmo online games etc.. (how ever you phase them) are about talking with other ppl they are super advantages chat rooms.

I am telling you what system you have in other mmorpgs and how they compare to the system GW2 has and how GW2 system is much more open then these other system. RNG drops are nothing compared to random gold drops and gold items drops i am talking on the lines of one mob that pops every 24hr+ that has a very rare chase to drop an item that can only be used by 3 classes and really only one of these classes want it. RNG mob drops are overspecialized drops. Token systems are specialized dungeon or zone drops where you can only get items from doing one event like only getting say karma armor from one zone karma not the karma over all from all zones.

Like real life gold and or money is the best system of trading goods from one person to another.

I am trying to say once you get the major drops from dungeon in an pure token system there is no more reason to go back to the dungeon other then to “help” but even that becomes a stran on a friendship because it makes the person who wants the item the person who making other help them do there events it crates and haves and have nots and over time it will destroy community.

Its about giving ppl insensitive to running events with other ppl ALL EVENTS even the low level ones there is a reason to do every thing in GW2 there is never truly a death event for ppl even if they played this game from day one. Every one from a new to old player gets something from these events and they can use this to get any thing in the game that they want. So all content is good content or at least useful content.

Devata.6589

@ Devata.6589 (its getting to long)

I do not run champ trans and when i did at worst i did 1hr and i talked to ppl running it and they talked back ppl even get on ts and talk when they are running it your fooling your self if you think online games are for any thing else but human contact all mmo online games etc.. (how ever you phase them) are about talking with other ppl they are super advantages chat rooms.

Did I ever say anything that even remotely comes close to that you have to play it alone or something? No I did not so I’m not sure why you now seem to suggest I did.

I am telling you what system you have in other mmorpgs and how they compare to the system GW2 has and how GW2 system is much more open then these other system. RNG drops are nothing compared to random gold drops and gold items drops i am talking on the lines of one mob that pops every 24hr+ that has a very rare chase to drop an item that can only be used by 3 classes and really only one of these classes want it. RNG mob drops are overspecialized drops. Token systems are specialized dungeon or zone drops where you can only get items from doing one event like only getting say karma armor from one zone karma not the karma over all from all zones.

Again I am not an advocate for tokens. I do think the token-system GW2 has for it’s dungeons is a nice extra but thats about it.
You are now also suddenly adding new variables. Now it’s suddenly about time-gated content (I am no fan of that) or class specific drops (not so much a problem for me).
Still if that time-gated problem would be the case you could do another dungeon / boss and also if items are class specific you would still be able to sell it. So if you prefer grinding gold or at least have a reason to do it with a friend thats still an option.

If an item drops 1/ 100 times there is an average number of timer on what most people will get it. That is also linked to an amount of time. In that same way it is also for grinding gold. You grind x hours for y gold then you buy it.
Only difference is that on average the gold-hours will be more stable while with the specific drops the one time you will get lucky and it drops faster and the other time it will take longer then the average.

Like real life gold and or money is the best system of trading goods from one person to another.

Yeah in the real world where you don’t kill a dragon that drops a cool mini-version of himself and where you do not have a bag that can hold many pig hides money is indeed a better system of trading goods. But that does not make it the most fun one in a game. And this is a game and fun is important there.

I am trying to say once you get the major drops from dungeon in an pure token system there is no more reason to go back to the dungeon other then to “help” but even that becomes a stran on a friendship because it makes the person who wants the item the person who making other help them do there events it crates and haves and have nots and over time it will destroy community.

Again.. I am not here to support the token system as a main system I am talking about specific drops. And again.. in the case of specific drops if you like to grind gold it’s still useful to go with the friend because if one of those items drop for you you can sell them at the TP and make a lot of gold on them.
Please don’t let me repaint this same explanation again. I now already said that like 5 times to you and you keep saying the same totally ignoring it.

Its about giving ppl insensitive to running events with other ppl ALL EVENTS even the low level ones there is a reason to do every thing in GW2 there is never truly a death event for ppl even if they played this game from day one. Every one from a new to old player gets something from these events and they can use this to get any thing in the game that they want. So all content is good content or at least useful content.

Well all those people who prefer going directly for an item don’t. And all those who want to do it for gold would also be able to do all that content if it rewarded specific items because they can then sell those items for gold. (6th time)

Posted by: Saylu.8271

Saylu.8271

Depending on which game you are talking about people do run dungeons in other MMO for gold, in fact their weapons and armors could be worth ridiculous amount of gold. In Guild Wars 2, people earn comparably less gold. Many rare and exclusive skin are account bounded, even weapons and armors are account bound in dungeon like fractal. It is system where you earn moderate amount of gold, unless fortune favor you and something valuable like a precursor drop, farming gold doesn’t really get everything you want, only things you need.

lordkrall.7241

We where talking about account-bound vs character-bound. Not how you had to earn them. Yeah original planned way to earn them was pretty bad and that changed after a storm-load of negative feedback.

Oh, I thought we were talking about how they changed the system from pre-release to release and how much it sucked that they changed it.
My bad then.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Devata.6589

Oh, I thought we were talking about how they changed the system from pre-release to release and how much it sucked that they changed it.
My bad then.

No not the hole system only how they changed the account-bound vs character-bound.
No problem.

lordkrall.7241

No not the hole system only how they changed the account-bound vs character-bound.
No problem.

But would you really have preferred the pre-release system just because it was account-bound?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Devata.6589

No problem.

But would you really have preferred the pre-release system just because it was account-bound?

Not the full system but I would have preferred it being account-bound at release.

I am also not really happy with he system that we have now. Still better that what they planned before.

However I much rather would have seen that they would have put the dyes (as colors, not unidentified) in the game behind content. A orange mob dropping the orange color, an pink boss being able to drop that pink one. An event that can drop it’s own color or an hearth or quest that rewards it’s own color and so on. That would make collecting them and exploring the world way more fun.