Enemies done right

Enemies done right

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

I just read the blog on the Aetherblades and this piece really caught my attention:

Aetherblade Thug
This slow-moving power hitter can immobilize and knock down his opponents.
Aetherblade Thumper
This hearty pirate has a three-hit combo and a protective shield.
Aetherblade Swashbuckler
This pirate deals bleeding and crippling, and throws daggers to opponents beyond the reach of her rapier.
Aetherblade Taskmaster
What these brutes lack in speed they make up for in applying conditions.
Aetherblade Striker
This caster can channel a lightning attack and a dazing aura.
Aetherblade Grenadier
Like the name implies, this scoundrels throw grenades that pack a wallop.

First I just want to admit that I’ve been a vocal moaner when it came to ANet’s enemy design choices, how CC is somehow considered challenging play and enemies weren’t really created to function in conjunction with their fellows.

Now notice the parts I highlighted. This really got to me, and I must say I’m impressed. It’s hard to say how these guys will operate in actual combat, but wow, I like what I see here. I get the idea there’s some thought placed into their methods and I really hope they’ll work the way I see it in my mind.

Sure, the thug has immobilize and knockdown, but I like the slow-moving part. What I’m hoping for is that the immobilize can be dodged, and if you’re not paying attention to this guy, the knock down will be your punishment for doing so. Mainly you’ll need to keep an eye on the other Aetherblades (such as to avoid the Taskmasters conditions and the Swashbucklers bleeds) as you’re taking down the thug.

What I’m interested in though is to what capacity the Thumper’s combo and shield will be employed. How the Swashbuckler’s cripple will work (hopefully in melee, which means you’ll need to keep this one at bay, while watching out for the Thumper and Thug). What conditions will the Taskmaster employ (hopefully not more CC and rather clever usage of vulnerability, weakness, and especially torment). What indicators will the be for the Striker’s daze aura. And what types of grenades will the Grenadier pack, as I’m reckoning he’ll control battlefield placement to an extent.

All in all, this piece of information has me excited. The lack of enemy imagination, constant temporary content, and uninspiring character builds were all part of the reason I took a hiatus from GW2. All my reservations are being addressed in the latest update, and I would just like to thank ArenaNet for doing so.

Tyria is a brilliant world, and its saddened me to leave it be at the start of this year. But this was what I’ve been waiting for and I can’t wait for next week.

Enemies done right

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I used a level 80 Warrior, punched everything in the face, killed them all in three auto attacks, and didn’t even get a chance to see any of their skills. Yes, just the type of bad guys I was hoping for.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Enemies done right

Azjenco.9425

I used a level 80 Warrior, punched everything in the face, killed them all in three auto attacks, and didn’t even get a chance to see any of their skills. Yes, just the type of bad guys I was hoping for.

Wait a second, I’m a bit confused. Aren’t the Aetherblades supposed to be introduced with the next update? How did you get to face them before that?

Enemies done right

Rising Dusk.2408

They’re already in the game if you do the Dragon Bash story missions in Lion’s Arch.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Enemies done right

Azjenco.9425

That’s a bit disappointing to hear. Well, hopefully fighting them inside the dungeon will be a bit more meaningful, since enemies last a bit longer in dungeons than they do outside.

Enemies done right

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

They also spawn near the investigation NPCs.

Enemies done right

Posted by: NightStar.4670

NightStar.4670

Yes, these enemies do appear. But from what I’ve seen, there are several players around to stop them before they can really do anything. And in story missions, you fight them with a whole bunch of NPCs, so they may or may not be targeting you. Even the couple veterans that are fought didn’t target me when I was fighting it.
I also imagine these were dumbed down due to being a solo story mission.

Now, I do expect to see them toughened up after the new content is released. Especially in the new dungeon!
So don’t be so disappointed yet, we’ve likely yet to see what they’re really capable.

Paskal – 80 Asura Thief – Aeon Kleos officer
Meredy Izumi – 80 Human Elementalist [Aeon]
Alruane – 80 Sylvari Ranger [Aeon]

Enemies done right

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Depends what you mean by “done right”. They may have different abilities, but if it’s anything like the Molten Facility, they won’t use them intelligently – they’ll just spam whatever is available as soon as the internal cooldown is gone. Take the Molten Protectors – you could pull them to the corner of the room, and they would then use the shield…alone. No allies to benefit from it, no approaching danger. Totally brainless.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Enemies done right

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

If enemies were balanced around zerker warrior DPS, it would be hell for the rest of us. You are never going to want to play a mesmer. It takes about 10x as many hits from a mes, and I’m not even exaggerating.

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

Enemies done right

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

lulwat?!?!

Its just a variant of the Risen. Yes, they also have “classes”, such as the peasant that stun/daze, the brute that knockdown, the anchor throwing annoyance that immobilize, a channeling mofo that shoot pink balls up your kitten for heavy damage, the teleporting/crippling noble, etc.

Nothing exciting or new about them. We fight them in the new short story and I would say that yes, they are exactly like your average mob, perhaps just a notch harder hitting.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

Enemies done right

Rising Dusk.2408

If enemies were balanced around zerker warrior DPS, it would be hell for the rest of us. You are never going to want to play a mesmer. It takes about 10x as many hits from a mes, and I’m not even exaggerating.

If things were balanced around zerker Warrior DPS, then maybe we’d actually see some meaningful PvE buffs to the other classes for some diversity in high-end PvE.

Enemies done right

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I’ll be behind each of them dropping bombs and CC s while they’re throwing stuff at everyone else and if they turn to me, I’ll confuse/retaliate and turn into a tiny charr while giggling as I run away.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!