Enthusiastic about the gaining levels?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Schultz.4291

Schultz.4291

Hey guys thanks for reading. Ive had gw2 since release and I’ve always been in agreement and adoration of the game and its system, but there is just one problem for me personally. I find it hard to stay motivating to do hearts and participate in events when to me it FEELS like im leveling extremely slowly. I have 1 80 so I know the end game fairly well and I want to reach that on a second character! but I just cant seem to stay interested for more than 8 levels at a time!

Obviously this isnt with everyone because I see people with TONS of max level toons.

I enjoy the content and have completed every zone, but… Idk what keeps you guys motivated?

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

For me it was about learning how each class plays differently and how they handle each challenge differently. You could also throw in to that mix builds. For example my 1st 7 chars I played through them all in toughness gear doing world complete before even touching the stories. I never worried about reaching lvl 80, there’s no point, nothing magic happens when you do. I just did 1 map every day, tested out the new skills as I unlocked them and saw how each class handled the maps.

For my last guy I decided to try out zerker gear after seeing all the posts saying you don’t need toughness etc. Again to me this seemed like a new experience when doing those same old hearts/maps over again because I was not only learning the new class (Necro) but also learning how to play as a new build.

So I guess what I am saying is FORGET about reaching 80, ask yourself why is 80 so important? What is it you really want to do with the character once you reach there? You can do pretty much everything at any level so there’s no real rush to 80.

Oh and lastly if you reach levl 80 without really learning the class how effective will you really be?

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

To be honest, by the time you reach level 30, you have all the knowledge of your class you require. And that’s when it gets boooooring. I always end up abandoning the lowbie for a couple of weeks/months for my high levels, then dumping a load of money earned in PvE into crafting and getting them 80 in 2-3 days.

Coming from someone with 8-9 (forgot the exact number) of 80s.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Paulytnz.7619

To be honest, by the time you reach level 30, you have all the knowledge of your class you require. And that’s when it gets boooooring. I always end up abandoning the lowbie for a couple of weeks/months for my high levels, then dumping a load of money earned in PvE into crafting and getting them 80 in 2-3 days.

Coming from someone with 8-9 (forgot the exact number) of 80s.

Well maybe I like to look at things more indepth than you and at from every angle lol. Besides I did only one map a day which takes me roughly 2-3 hours depending on how many people I bother to save doing events etc. Then I would jump back on my main. 2-3 hours a day is not a big ask and 1 month later or so you have a new lvl 80 with a full map complete.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Might be an explanation: i’m a pvp player mostly. World vs. World and TPvP are about the only engaging content in the game for me at the moment. Dungeons were fun the first 10 times per path, but after that… ughh. xD

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I just really like having different classes to play with- all the classes are unique and have their own playstyle.
Heck I even have multiples of my favorite classes so I could try different things

I have 5 80’s and I love the choice it gives me- I have 3 more in their 40/50 and one brand new one at lvl17 or so.

I just basically run around on them and do what I feel like doing- before I know it they are 80

Gunnar’s Hold

Paulytnz.7619

Might be an explanation: i’m a pvp player mostly. World vs. World and TPvP are about the only engaging content in the game for me at the moment. Dungeons were fun the first 10 times per path, but after that… ughh. xD

Dungeons, bleh I have done maybe each path once and that’s it for me (still 2 dungeons left to do that 1 path each on lol). But yeah I can understand the pvp/wvw side of it, I do my fair share as well when bored, I guess it comes down to how much time people have to play as well, for some that 2-3 hours I mentioned might be all they can spare to spend in game.

Now that I have all 8 chars at 80 with world completes most times I feel lost as what to do in game…so I either play some WvW, muck about or log out to play some Civ5. I am seriously waiting for some engaging gameplay here but I keep reminding myself this is not like the old games I used to play and is more casual so I have to deal with it I suppose lol.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

you can level very easily “on the side”. Grab your leveling alt and do the dailies. In mass events like LS content, try to tag as many events as possible (you don´t need to do a lot of killing as those xp are rather meagre). If your path leads you close to some vista, WP, easy heart quest, well, good for you, grab that one, move on. You will level in no time without even noticing (if you do just dailies, it doesn´t even add more “duty” playtime).

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

Naah. After my first character, it’s been a chore. I only have two level 80’s and a third one closing, because the leveling is just so dull. A big help was to spend all those knowledge tomes from the latest event.

I went for world completion as well, so I’ve seen everywhere. They are trying to sell the whole “the journey matters” – philosophy, but I’m not feeling it.

Posted by: medohgeuh.4650

medohgeuh.4650

I’ve seen most every area dozens of times, but the game is so vast that I rarely remember any of it by the time I revisit somewhere I’ve been.

I do feel the leveling slows down a bit too much about halfway through to the cap. I find exploration much more satisfying when I have more variety in build tweaking that comes with being 80.

Posted by: Ilbyria.2706

Ilbyria.2706

I went to WvW to level up my alt (necromancer and guardian). Usually, I wait until lvl 30, so I have access to all usefull skills.

Leveling is quite fast, and surprisingly you don’t need exotic stuff to survive in a raid. You can use the karma armors availables in WvW, with vitality and toughness. You won’t do much damages, but you can still support allies and control ennemies pretty well.
Much more fun than leveling alone on pve maps.

FR

Posted by: Legatvs.8260

Legatvs.8260

It seems to me that the zones are not as iconic or unique as they were back in GW1.
The downleveling makes them challenging – right.
But on the other hand it’s just annoying if you got your character to let’s say 50 and visit a place (friend maybe) near to a starting area of another race.
You feel a little difference and the fights may be slightly easier but mostly it’s frustrating to complete a heart there with nearly the same hard work as if you were level 5 or so and get rewards that are tailored to this level.
Right – you had the same thing in GW1 in old Ascalon or Shing Jea Island – but it was more fun to kill masses of low level foes and get your feet through quickly instead of being worried to be killed by a bunch of lowbie-foes.
Travel-costs and downleveling are a bit of pain in the kitten , if you plan to level an alt for some hours of fun with friends in higher level areas or so.
I just have one character on 80 by now – haven’t played for a longer time and I recently looked forward to maybe come back to the game.
But what to do then?
My first one didn’t finish the PS – I guess I must go and kill Zaithan, but I need a group for this final step in MY story.
Some of my alts are around that steps with Trahearne and Orr and so on…I really disliked this part of the story and the maps.
And like some times before I am planning to reroll a Necromancer – but then it’s all starting over again!
Story is kind of crap, free roaming is kind of expensive, dangerous, boring and lacks of immersion.
LS forcing players to visit some places is crap too – so what really keeps some of you leveling more than let’s say two characters to 80 without getting like Scarlet?

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Dailies and personal story get you to 80 super fast. It wasn’t a chore at all for me to level every profession to 80.

Traveller.7496

Dailies and personal story get you to 80 super fast. It wasn’t a chore at all for me to level every profession to 80.

So doing all the dailies doesn’t feel like a chore? Well, to each their own, but I’d liked it more if the leveling would be faster and more natural (granted, it’s not super slow, but it does feel like there’s a huge boring, pointless gap from around 30 to 80.)

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I really enjoy doing dailies/monthlies, so nope, no chore. I don’t do all of them though, if you’re doing all of them that may be why you don’t like them.

Traveller.7496

No, I always stop when I have the necessary ones and everything after that is just a bonus. I don’t even do it every day. I was just sayin’ that for leveling I don’t think it’s as big of a boost as you make it sound.

Although many people should learn to do events and not just kill random mobs, that does help many folks who have told me they have trouble getting levels.

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

The core problem is that for a lot of the content in GW2, it’s only interesting the first time you’ve played it. And due to the way the world and story progress, levelling characters starts out pretty diverse, but narrows down to the same outcome every time.
After playing 3 characters through the story and getting world map completion on at least one, chances are you will have seen 99% of what the game has to offer, and subsequent playthroughs will just be repetition of the same content.

And as other people have mentioned, post level 30, the PvE experience feels like unnecessary padding. You know how your character will play, but you have to grind out 50 more levels with nothing more interesting than a trait point per ding to keep your attention. The game is in desperate need of an editor-in-chief to trim the fat.

I think they would have been better off setting maximum level to 30 then balancing the remainder of the maps around that level. That way, instead of only having one truly top level zone on release, more than two-thirds would have been “end game content”.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Mazreal Blackknight.1564

I like to level. I have 8 level 80’s and each one plays different even my two elementalist a are very different from one another. Plus I have a small amount of OCD and if I enter a map I MUST finish everything or I can’t leave.

Posted by: zMajc.4659

zMajc.4659

The core problem is that for a lot of the content in GW2, it’s only interesting the first time you’ve played it. And due to the way the world and story progress, levelling characters starts out pretty diverse, but narrows down to the same outcome every time.
After playing 3 characters through the story and getting world map completion on at least one, chances are you will have seen 99% of what the game has to offer, and subsequent playthroughs will just be repetition of the same content.

And as other people have mentioned, post level 30, the PvE experience feels like unnecessary padding. You know how your character will play, but you have to grind out 50 more levels with nothing more interesting than a trait point per ding to keep your attention. The game is in desperate need of an editor-in-chief to trim the fat.

I think they would have been better off setting maximum level to 30 then balancing the remainder of the maps around that level. That way, instead of only having one truly top level zone on release, more than two-thirds would have been “end game content”.

That’s a pretty accurate description.

I have 2 characters at 80 and 3 between 50-60 ….. i don’t even plan to play other 3 until they release another battle for LA like event for fast leveling.

I’m grateful A.net has given us so many opportunities to get Tomes of Knowledge. Hope it becomes a regular thing.

(edited by zMajc.4659)

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

The worst thing about leveling for me is not playing a low-level char itself, but the constant switching of armour and weapons. It looks so tedious to me that I prefer to farm belongings/glory for tomes of knowledge on my main and then to equip an alt with all the leftover exotic/ascended stuff straight away. It also works (or rather, worked) pretty well since scrolls of knowledge are account bound.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Zutha.5091

Zutha.5091

So I guess what I am saying is FORGET about reaching 80, ask yourself why is 80 so important? What is it you really want to do with the character once you reach there? You can do pretty much everything at any level so there’s no real rush to 80.

Try fighting lvl 80 ascended gear players in WvW with a non-80 character. I guarantee I could auto attack with an ele any non-lvl 80 to death.

Paulytnz.7619

Try fighting lvl 80 ascended gear players in WvW with a non-80 character. I guarantee I could auto attack with an ele any non-lvl 80 to death.

If you are levelling in WvW you really shouldn’t be trying to roam or go out alone, stick with groups and you should be fine.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

For the sake of leveling, i don’t bother with hearts unless they coincide with an event as I’m passing it. That’s reserved for the tedium of map completion.

I’m not a fan of leveling at all, though.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Fuzion.4193

Fuzion.4193

I’m the type of person that has issues with monotony and with doing the same things over and over again. It’s not fun. This is why I’ve taken the view toward leveling characters through Living Story events.

When the Siege of Lion’s Arch started, I took a level 56 character to 80 and have a new character sitting at level 36 now, and I’m not a hardcore PvE’er. When the siege is over, I’ll work on outfitting the new 80 and learning to play it, while I park the level 36 (who may be 38-40 by the end of this) to wait for the next LS arc to level on.

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Brother, I’ve had to go through the leveling process seven times. What keeps me motivated and inspired is to be able to play the profession at its fullest, and the leveling process allows me ample time to get a good feel for the class. :)

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

I have little nice to say about ANet’s choice to remove upscaling for the zones, but try to ignore the levels. The game is designed to be entertaining for the level you are so don’t get wrapped up in having to get to level 80. The journey there is the game’s content with little to nothing different awaiting you at the top.

As to what keeps me motivated? Nothing. Once you’ve made it to 80 you’ve experienced the game. You can pick up PvP or WvW for some extra hours worth but thats pretty much it. I’m awaiting Super Adventure Box. If they ever release some new content that I enjoy (dungeons, mini-dungeons, jumping puzzles, new areas to explore) maybe I’d play, but for now other games have replaced GW2.

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

(edited by Crysto.7089)

Posted by: medohgeuh.4650

medohgeuh.4650

As to what keeps me motivated? Nothing. Once you’ve made it to 80 you’ve experienced the game.

When I hear things like this, all I picture are those strange people that never watch a movie, read a book, etc. more than once.

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

As to what keeps me motivated? Nothing. Once you’ve made it to 80 you’ve experienced the game.

When I hear things like this, all I picture are those strange people that never watch a movie, read a book, etc. more than once.

I’ve played the game more than once. Nothing wrong with it being over at 80, its a good ride. The first time.

Attachments:

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions