Equal Opportunity For All Servers/Guilds

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Arnath.2319

Arnath.2319

The official Guild Wars 2 Facebook page posted a status congratulating Desolation on there world first kill, sadly ArenaNet are deleting any comment that gives constructive criticism saying…
“this post is to congratulate Desolation players on their victory. It’s extremely unfair to them to use their hard work as a platform for your personal complaint.”
That comment was directed at another person but my comment and many others despite being non-offensive and well written were deleted.
Thus why i created this thread to discuss this topic away from that Facebook post.

tl;dr: Every server/guild should have equal opportunity to compete for world firsts if it’s going to be content ArenaNet continues to add and put on a pedestal.

I find it extremely distasteful and unfair of ArenaNet to make an official announcement congratulating Desolation on a world first kill when Desolation were essentially in a one man race while every other server is incapable of doing the wurm event. With the game plagued with mass guesting and overflow problems with 99% of the GW2 community unable to gain access to this content this congratulations post is a “slap in the face” to the 99%.

I would gladly congratulate Desolation on there world first kill if every server or guild had equal opportunity to work towards this title thus creating a fair competition. I would gladly congratulate a guild of players who gathered together, learnt the fight, had the best gear, every player skilled, every player on teamspeak, worked hard, competing against THOUSANDS of other guilds across EVERY SINGLE SERVER for hours/days with little rest…. but that’s not what happened.

The reality is a lucky group of people who were lucky enough to not be stuck in a overflow and lucky enough to be on one of few servers capable of doing such content were extremely lucky to get a group of people who were lucky to have good gaming PC’s. Luckily they had few players afk and luckily everyone was willing to listen and cooperate, they were also lucky not to encounter any bugs.

This is extremely concerning to me because judging by ArenaNets comments both here and on Facebook this looks like something ArenaNet intend on continuing in the future. Completely ignoring the obvious flaws and massive negative feedback.

You can not create World of Warcraft style hardmode raids without the proper in game mechanics to support it.

The only solution that most people have come to is to make these bosses instanced, perhaps having an easier open world boss for everyone to see and complete the content, then a instanced guild mission version of the boss that is much harder and requires the coordination and effort of skilled players.

(edited by Arnath.2319)

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Every server on NA in the top 8, at a minimum, has been hard-capped in main doing wurm lately. That is as many people as Desolation had when they successfully killed it, those other servers just need to muster the necessary coordination to succeed. That’s really what it’s about.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

Every server did have equal chance of doing it…it’s not like Deso had double player cap or so. Deso has a really strong server community, that took the time and effort to coordinate all players on the map. They had commanders that lived in Bloodtide Coast for 4 days. Most of the time when I logged on during the weekend I got overflow, you know how that is solved? Party up with someone in main, and persistently spam join to join in when someone leaves. Deso could manage with this. Apart from that they engaged anyone on map, tried to get them on TeamSpeak and make them part of the crew, rather than scoffing them off. I was there mate, we had 130+ people on TS, great commanders leading and great soldiers following. Do not belittle our effort. Every other server had equal chance to do as Deso, but they didn’t…

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Congratulations to Desolation, of course, but I’ll still +1 the OP.

Yes it takes work, but many servers still can’t take down the Marionette and the reason for that is the guesting system and the fact that players are flocking to the server with the greatest reputation.

If I were a regular on Desolation, a bit late to the party and forced into Overflow, I would not be a happy camper. As it is, my own regular server can only finish the Marionette event in the prime time partly because many players guest to Desolation when they can play, for the win.

I don’t much like the current guesting system, and I really don’t like the Overflow system.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: Kindeller.3072

Kindeller.3072

Given that the map holds ~150 people we can assume you have plenty of opportunity to achieve success with any server since each one most definitely holds enough for a medium sized guild to complete the boss on their own.

So, please don’t say that any server couldn’t compete for world first, and don’t complain that Anet simply congratulated Desolation on doing so. It was really anyone that could have done it.

As mentioned however what made Desolation, no sorry, The map itself and all the people on it stand out was the fact that they worked together very hard to coordinate each other and help defeat the boss; It just so happens they where on Desolation server when they did so. Props to them.

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

What the OP hasn’t made clear is that the Desolation world first while obviously being a great feat was due in part because of the servers larger numbers and in turn the systemic nature of that.

That is people from lower population servers would join higher pop. servers to up their own chances of success. Which is getting back to the OP point, lower pop. servers never really did have a chance.

At least ANet is realising this to an extent. They gave BG their own official GW2 post offering them congratulations for Tequatl, without fully understanding it was a server made up of many elements that had nothing to do with BG itself.

They should be highlighting the success of guilds involved, individual commanders involved. Perhaps an interview style with people that were on ts3 coordinating things, that highlights how the community came together. Rather than simplifying it and saying ‘Congrats server’.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

Every server had the potential.

Even the very lowest tier server who doesn’t have player concurrency anywhere near Desolation or Blackgate.

The potential and possibility is there for them to show up in Bloodtide, rally around a recognized guild within the server, and kill the Wurm.

Difficulty of the encounter itself is another issue entirely, but each server has the ability to chase after the World First. It just takes practice, dedication, effort, and of course, willing players.

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

If I want to down the raid boss, I guest to the other server.

My own server may have enough people, but I still guest. Because those servers are the designated server for people “seriously enough” to down the raid boss.

Basically a gathering of all the hardcore raiders. The problem is with guesting. People just give up their own server when they could just guest to other server which gathered all the serious player.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

potential and possibility

Sure and understanding the rudimentary nature of people is important too. ‘Path of least resistance’ comes to mind, there’s nothing ‘equal’ in this process.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

potential and possibility

Sure and understanding the rudimentary nature of people is important too. ‘Path of least resistance’ comes to mind, there’s nothing ‘equal’ in this process.

Everyone who cares to down the boss is just guesting. You probably have better chance to down the boss in overflow than the home server of the lesser server.

Posted by: StriderShinryu.6923

StriderShinryu.6923

I personally just find this sort of “World First” stuff rather odd to begin with, not in terms of the general MMO space but in terms of GW2. In most MMOs, home server pride is a huge deal. In GW2, however, given how overflows and guesting work, there is a general sense of there being no real home server promotion. The idea of having a home server only seems to be promoted at all when it is either mandated as in WvWvW or when it’s convenient.

Not to say anything bad about Deso, or any other server, but who’s to say that Deso’s “World First” couldn’t have been made up entirely of, I don’t know, Sorrow’s Furnace players? Not saying that was the case at all, but there’s nothing that would have prevented it from being the case.