Every Dungeon Run Should Yield 1 pc. of Armor

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ipan.4356

ipan.4356

I thought this game wasn’t supposed to be grindy?

I hear people talking about “speed runs”, and thinking to myself, why would anyone ever want to do a speedrun, anyway?

The answer is simple. You speed run because you want the reward, but not the content.

And why wouldn’t you want the content? Because it’s repeat. You’ve already done it.

So, why not reward enough dungeon currency to buy a piece of armor or weapon each and every run.

Or, just put it in the chest at the end as a choice of the entire dungeon set – each run gets you one.

The ONLY reason not to do this is to keep people grinding the same content over and over and over, because you need people on that treadmill to keep them busy because you don’t have enough content to satisfy them.

BUT

We were told this is a non-grindy game, so what gives?

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

You are ignoring the fact that you can get the exact same quality gear without ever setting foot inside a dungeon.
Thus the “non-grindy game” still holds true.

The thing is people will always consume content MUCH faster than the devs can create it, and thus there will either be situations where you will have to repeat stuff, or else have nothing at all to do at all until the next update.

There will never be enough content to satisfy the rushers after all.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

theres a difference between grinding and playing. its not a long boring grind to get dungeon armor as it is ascended. your argument sounds like you want everything handed to you

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

Posted by: Kindeller.3072

Kindeller.3072

You are ignoring the fact that you can get the exact same quality gear without ever setting foot inside a dungeon.
Thus the “non-grindy game” still holds true.

The thing is people will always consume content MUCH faster than the devs can create it, and thus there will either be situations where you will have to repeat stuff, or else have nothing at all to do at all until the next update.

Actually, In my eyes… Karma is the perfect alleviation of this Its a global currency that rewards doing anything… the ability to purchase anything with one currency kinda fixes the need to repeat content. The unfortunate problem then is people cant follow (ie repeat) something they know will reward them… people want to know what do be doing to earn rewards)

An alternative solution to this would be to create a way to earn dungeon tokens by doing events within the zone the dungeon resides in. It would also create an alternative solo method to gather tokens for stylized armour pieces.

To the OP however i disagree, repeating content a few times over to gather tokens for armour isnt really that horrible as someone’s mentioned its optional and if you do the content occasionally for the fun of it you’ll come across enough tokens to forge the stuff anyway!

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

theres a difference between grinding and playing. its not a long boring grind to get dungeon armor as it is ascended. your argument sounds like you want everything handed to you

Agreed, it takes an hour or two to do all paths of most dungeons to get 180+ tokens. That’ll give you enough for a full set of armour and weapons in 10-14 days. Perfectly reasonable.

I do agree that it would be nice to add some decent items to the chests’ loot tables though.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

If you want each run to reward one piece of armor each time, then I would ask that each run is 10x more difficult. That way, it makes the guaranteed reward that much more rewarding.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

Every dungeon run does yield 1 piece of armor.

3 paths x 66 tokens x 5 people = 990 tokens

990 tokens = 3-4 pieces of armor

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

I hear people talking about “speed runs”, and thinking to myself, why would anyone ever want to do a speedrun, anyway?

The answer is simple. You speed run because you want the reward, but not the content.

And why wouldn’t you want the content? Because it’s repeat. You’ve already done it.

So, why not reward enough dungeon currency to buy a piece of armor or weapon each and every run.

Or, just put it in the chest at the end as a choice of the entire dungeon set – each run gets you one.

The ONLY reason not to do this is to keep people grinding the same content over and over and over, because you need people on that treadmill to keep them busy because you don’t have enough content to satisfy them.

BUT

You need to revise your definition of grind mate !
have you ever played any mmo besides gw2 ?
if you had you’d never akin the easy to acquire dungeon armor to grind !

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

While ANet may have said “no grind,” they were referring to a specific type of grind — mindless leveling grind to get to something fun — not having to do a dungeon a few times to get a piece of armor. If you thought there would be no repetition at all needed in an MMO, you were sadly mistaken. Anyone who played GW knew that ANet was capable of creating reasons for people to repeat content — and anyone who has played any MMO would know that repetition is a staple of the genre.

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Nonesense, I speedrun because I enjoy the challenge of doing it quickly. I skip a lot of the “daily” PUG farm dungeons because they’re dull, such as TA up and COF P2.

you don’t have enough content to satisfy them.

This is true though. Im done as soon as Im burned out from doing the same dungeons daily. I think 10k of all tokens is enough for anything I may need.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: OldSomalia.6180

OldSomalia.6180

Not even close.

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

You can come close atm with the current price of exotic armor.

Run the dung, sell the loot + the 1g you get from finishing, turn in the tokens for rares if the dung is 70+ and salvage for ectos, then sell them.

Then put in buy orders for the gear with the stats you wanted.

The only thing would be if you wanted the look from the dung, then you would need to buy the dung gear with tokens.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

the funny part is; before launch they said that each time you run a dungeon you’d get 1 piece of gear you didn’t have from that dungeon.

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

And you’re bound to get several pieces of gear. Not exotic, but you’ll get several.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Exotic gear? It’s 2014, baby. Ascended gear’s where it’s at. Get on my (complaining) level.

(Seriously though I think it would be cool if dungeon bosses had a 10%-ish chance to drop extra big carvings of baelfire which are worth like 200 tokens and they have a higher chance to drop from less popular paths)

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Ah the good old days when 1 path gave 20 tokens instead of the 60 you get today.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

the funny part is; before launch they said that each time you run a dungeon you’d get 1 piece of gear you didn’t have from that dungeon.

I don’t remember that one, but Anet did say several things before launch that are no longer true.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Before launch they definitely did say that every time you ran a dungeon you would receive 1 piece of gear. They decided to go down a different route however, and I trust that the decision process behind that was an intelligent one.

I can see pro’s and con’s to both the way things are and to the way it was originally announced – so really I can’t say which would be better :S

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

i would +1 this change

you do not run dungeons for exotic gear; well you might, but you should have enough gold to do wonders with when you hit 80

you run them for the looks….getting one piece each, and then having to to pay irl cash to transmog should more than suffice Anets money hungry ways

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

At the most, it’d take you 23 runs of a given dungeon for a full set of its exotic armor. It takes three runs to get a single piece, at least six for a two hander.

Overkill much, methinks.

Posted by: Ensio.8172

Ensio.8172

First of all, you shouldn’t use the term “treadmill” if you have no idea what it means.

You don’t need to run dungeons for the gear, you can craft items with the same level of stats, buy gear with badges or just buy gear straight from the TP.

Nothing, as the game doesn’t require you to do any grinding.

FlamingFoxx.1305

-snip-

Good luck trying to explain the difference between voluntary progression systems and grind to people >.>

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

This sentence is devoid of meaning. Grinding to do what? Nobody’s forcing you to do anything. If you don’t get ascended gear, your kids aren’t going to be panhandling in the streets. The concept of a game “requiring” you to do something is nonsense because you can just not play the game.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

FlamingFoxx.1305

This sentence is devoid of meaning. Grinding to do what? Nobody’s forcing you to do anything. If you don’t get ascended gear, your kids aren’t going to be panhandling in the streets. The concept of a game “requiring” you to do something is nonsense because you can just not play the game.

What Ensio meant is that the game provides you with multiple avenues to get most gear and doesn’t force you into the repetition of content. e.g. you don’t have to repeatedly run dungeons to get exotic spec’d gear because you also have the option of crafting it, getting it in FoTM, or just buying it off the TP.

Posted by: Ensio.8172

Ensio.8172

You’re kinda blowing things out of proportion, obviously you aren’t required to actually play the game.

The OP makes it sound like, in order to gain gear in the game you need to run loads and loads of dungeons to get a set of armour and weapons. He calls it a ‘grind’.

I merely pointed out that there are other ways of acquiring gear, and that there is no need to grind for anything in order to just play the game (to get gear in this case).

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

and maybe, just maybe, if ppl start slowing down instead of rushing trough the game…
really, 1X should be enough for a dungeon exclusive armor, doing it 3-4X for the same is already a grind in my eyes.
and you know what, i love to take my sweet time, i bet most of you don’t even care about the story or the environment Anet worked so hard to create.

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

and maybe, just maybe, if ppl start slowing down instead of rushing trough the game…
really, 1X should be enough for a dungeon exclusive armor, doing it 3-4X for the same is already a grind in my eyes.
and you know what, i love to take my sweet time, i bet most of you don’t even care about the story or the environment Anet worked so hard to create.

I did enjoy the story and environment for a while but after hundreds of runs of the same content it gets frustrating to hear the same NPC doing the exact same dialogue at the exact same spot for the millionth time.

That’s why I’d rather get trough it faster and more efficiently to get my rewards and move on to the next thing to get some more shinies.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Ah the good old days when 1 path gave 20 tokens instead of the 60 you get today.

You forgot you could then run the dungeon unlimited times and you’d still get 20 tokens. ;P

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

BUT

Another one that wants a Silver platter to be handed over. Bad news for you cause your playing an MMO!? All MMO are grindy so move forward.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

BUT

Another one that wants a Silver platter to be handed over. Bad news for you cause your playing an MMO!? All MMO are grindy so move forward.

actually the MMO needs to move forward, the way it is now is from 2004…..it’s 2014 in case you forgot.

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

There are people who have far more than enough tokens (10k to 42k, afaik) but still do speedrun because it presents a challenge to them. And easy daily gold. Think of clearing 15 paths a day.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

I don’t remember that one, but Anet did say several things before launch that are no longer true.

It was an old blog post which they seem to have taken down. It was near the time they talked about having energy be a long-term resource & having potions.

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

BUT

actually the MMO needs to move forward, the way it is now is from 2004…..it’s 2014 in case you forgot.

In case you forgot its grindy since 2004 and its still grindy now so nothing changes…

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I did enjoy the story and environment for a while but after hundreds of runs of the same content it gets frustrating to hear the same NPC doing the exact same dialogue at the exact same spot for the millionth time.

That’s why I’d rather get trough it faster and more efficiently to get my rewards and move on to the next thing to get some more shinies.

You, ah… you don’t actually see anything wrong with that statement, do you?

To me, it speaks of a fundamental flaw that goes beyond the OP’s subject, but one that MUST be addressed sooner or later.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

The token numbers need to be deflated, otherwise, it gives the impression that it will be a grind.

Why give out ~20 tokens for each run? Just lower the cost of the armor, and adjust the amount given for each run. Make the numbers lower.

As it is now, the perception feels like it requires a grind.

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Unless! They time gate it!
Much content
no grind
so fun

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!