Every Weapon for Every Class

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

So Abet done time ago that they want to allow every class to use every weapon. How is this coming along?

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Did they say every weapon? I have a hard time seeing what use a Warrior, Thief and Engineer would have for a Scepter or Focus.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Did they say every weapon? I have a hard time seeing what use a Warrior, Thief and Engineer would have for a Scepter or Focus.

Whacking stick.

Thwap!

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Throw Scepter/Focus
Throws your weapon at the enemy, dealing 10 damage. Your weapon will be destroyed automatically.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

From 10 months ago.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/external?l=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mmorpg.com%2Fgamelist.cfm%2Fgame%2F473%2Ffeature%2F7597%2FGuild-Wars-2-ArenaNets-Master-Plan-for-2013.html

“What’s more is that the team is also working very hard finding a way to make it so that every profession has access to every weapon and their own weapon skills for those previously locked weapons. Engineer plus Hammer? Check. Again, there’s no specific timeline for this, but a new progression system is coming. Finally those level 80s you’ve been hoarding will get some use, as they’ll be adding more and more skills and traits to the game for years to come and on a regular basis for players to obtain.”

If they ever add greatsword to necros, I have a chiroptophobia skin waiting.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Xae Isareth.1364

Hmmm, I could’ve sworn that there was an article in which Colin said eventually, every profession will have access to every weapon, but I can’t seem to find it.

http://i.massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/18/guild-wars-2s-colin-johanson-outlines-big-plans-and-course-cor/

This will do for now.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

From 10 months ago.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/external?l=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mmorpg.com%2Fgamelist.cfm%2Fgame%2F473%2Ffeature%2F7597%2FGuild-Wars-2-ArenaNets-Master-Plan-for-2013.html

“What’s more is that the team is also working very hard finding a way to make it so that every profession has access to every weapon and their own weapon skills for those previously locked weapons. Engineer plus Hammer? Check. Again, there’s no specific timeline for this, but a new progression system is coming. Finally those level 80s you’ve been hoarding will get some use, as they’ll be adding more and more skills and traits to the game for years to come and on a regular basis for players to obtain.”

Ahhh, fair enough. I’d love a sword and shield for my Elementalist.

I still don’t see how a Scepter and Focus would work for professions that aren’t based around magic though. Well, maybe not ‘work’, but make sense thematically.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

If they add staff, shield and hammer for Rangers, I’m back for good! <3 GW1 in GW2, I’m waiting!!!

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

From 10 months ago.

I still don’t see how a Scepter and Focus would work for professions that aren’t based around magic though. Well, maybe not ‘work’, but make sense thematically.

Idk. I could see scepter on a warrior if it had the right skills.
Auto attack: hit it with your scepter, hit it again, hit it so hard your scepter breaks.
Skill 2: stab target with your broken scepter.
Skill 3: block attack with the handle.

Xae Isareth.1364

From 10 months ago.

Idk. I could see scepter on a warrior if it had the right skills.
Auto attack: hit it with your scepter, hit it again, hit it so hard your scepter breaks.
Skill 2: stab target with your broken scepter.
Skill 3: block attack with the handle.

Skill 4: Punch your enemy
Skill 5: Punch your enemy again

I would love a staff warrior and wields it like a monk though. You can be a shao-lin monk with Braham’s and some other stuff then.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

I swung my Staff, I swung my Staff, hey, I swung my Staff again!

/imagined 3 Phantasmal Hammermen perma-knocking zergs in WvW

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

Back off folks, it has only been a year.

Posted by: yayuuu.9420

yayuuu.9420

Scepter skills on warrior:
(concept one, warrior can concentrate his force to manifest spectral weapons to hit enemies at distance)
1. Spectral Slash – summon spectral greatsword to slash your target. (not a typical summon, something like necromancer with axe)
2. Vortex of Blades – Surround you with vortex of blades for 5 seconds, damaging all surrounding enemies.
-> 2. Throw blade – Throw one of the blades to damage and cripple your target. Combo finisher – physical projectile
3. Enrage – Channel for 3 seconds, granting Might and Fury to nearby allies (12 stacks of Might and Fury for 10s)

(concept 2, warrior can concentrate his force to manifest spectral weapons in his hands for a varienty of attacks, something like Algol from Soul Calibur: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg85nfVWkN0)
1. Spectral Slash – Manifest Greatsword in yout hands and slash your target
-> 1. Spectral Bash – Manifest Hammer in your hands to hit your target.
-> 1. Spectral Shot – Manifest Rifle in your hands to shoot your target. Deals more damage the closer is your target.
2. Rain of Arrows – Manifest longbow in your hands to fire a rain of arrows at your target for massive AOE damage
3. Spectral Charge – Charge at your foe with a spectral shield and stun him, then manifest a spectral sword and slash him few times rapidly.

Focus skills:
4. Concentrated Force – Deal damage to all enemies around you, pulling them to you and crippling. Deals more damage the more stacks of Might you have. Removes all of your Might stacks. Combo finisher blast.
5. Iron Will – grants Protection and Stability to nearby allies for 5 seconds.

(edited by yayuuu.9420)

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Longbow on Engineer with grenades tied to the arrows. Just like Tomb Raider!

The above skills would be OP as hell too. Why would anyone use anything but scepter on warrior?

Posted by: Nadha.6097

Nadha.6097

oh you make me laugh so hard!
Engi mostly has ranged weopons, so ofc it will need to throw the hammer!
and
hammer 3:
my little Engi will throw her little hammer bola-style and ofc it will return and will hit everybody in its path,
or even better:
hammer 4:
throws little hammer between enemys legs to make them drip :p
hammer 5:
punch little hammer in enemys belly to push them back

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

Whacking stick.

Thwap!

Thief scepter skill

Poke-stick strike : Confusion(10x)
Troll your opponent with 10 poke strikes.
Poke from various directions then become stealthed after each strike.
Inflict 1 stack of confusion per strike.

Lishtenbird.2814

I’m somewhy fascinated by an idea of a hammer mesmer, so here’s a concept!

Hammer Mesmer: similar to GS, an originally melee weapon working as a ranged weapon.

Skill 1: Smash your hammer to fix one random mesmer bug.

Skill 1: Hammerball.

• 1) Use your hammer to launch at your foe a ball of chaos energy, which bounces up to 2 times between foes and causes damage and confusion.
  • 2) Send one more bouncing ball of chaos energy which causes damage and chill.
  • 3) Send a larger ball of chaos energy which explodes for AoE damage in 240 radius with increased damage per each target for each foe present in this range (limit of 5 targets).
  • 30% chance of projectile finisher.

Skill 2: Chaosshift.

• Smash the ground with the hammer at current location, leaving behind a clone and a ring of chaos energy uncrossable to foes for a short time while teleporting to target location.
  • Blast finisher.
  • No combo field type.

Skill 3: Phantasmal Hammerknight.

• Summon a Phantasm which drops on foe from above, causing AoE damage, vulnerability and daze.
  • Affects up to 5 targets in a small radius.
  • Phantasm is rooted until its skill is recharged, than it gives a visual cue and repeats the drop attack.

Skill 4: Triwhirl.

• 1) Summon 3 stationery whirling illusionary hammers in a large triangle form around you, which last for 10 seconds each but knockback touching foes at a cost of 1 second in duration.
  • Allies in the triangle receive protection boon. If one of the hammers vanishes, the triangle effect is gone.
  • 2) Counter by exploding hammers, dealing AoE damage and ripping stability and swiftness. 20% chance of blast finisher per hammer.

Skill 5: Illusionary Fortress.

• 33% reduced movement speed while casting.
  • Block up to 5 attacks or projectiles while casting.
  • First 2 blocked attacks cause cripple on attacker.
  • Next 2 blocked attacks cause weakness.
  • Last blocked attack rips stability off nearby foes, launches them (limit of 5 targets) and grants 2 seconds of distortion.

Posted by: Dilligaf Wyt.1867

Dilligaf Wyt.1867

To do this they could make sub classes. Kinda like a dual class character. This could branch out the skill tree allowing truly unique characters based on the tree path they select. So depending on which branch a character decides to take would depend on what weapons he or she could use effectively. Rangers that specialize in woodland magic, or a thief that practices necromancy.

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

This IMO is something that would not only bring a lot of players back but also keep a lot oof current players interests high. It would give a lot of possibilities for new builds and that is always good.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I don’t know, I could see a norn warrior wielding one of these..

http://www.argos-soft.net/GW2/WeaponGallery/index.php?weapon=13&skinID=1048aea&lang=en
http://www.argos-soft.net/GW2/WeaponGallery/index.php?weapon=13&skinID=1035ccb&lang=en

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

we’ll get bunnythumping rangers once more! also, if a necro ever gets a hammer, I kind of expect it to get marks, or one at the end of an auto attack. I actually ran hammer necro in gw1 pvp, and it wasn’t as efficient as assassin hammer, but I still kind of miss that.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

oh gosh … forget this bull crap.
This will and should never happen.

Each class will get new weapons someday for sure, but all weapons for all classes – forget it, Anet surely won’t make the same mistake twice and turn GW2 willing into a Balance Chaos that was already GW1.

Each Class should only be able to wield those weapons, that do fit to the class/sub class and nothing more.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Xae Isareth.1364

^ And guess what made GW1 so successful? If you don’t try, you won’t get anywhere.

A Massive Headache.1879

Orpheal, they’re kind of looking like they’re going the route of impossible to balance anyways.

Xae Isareth.1364

Orpheal, they’re kind of looking like they’re going the route of impossible to balance anyways.

It’s impossible to balance a MMO, period. You got a game which is constantly changing, that alone means it just can’t be balanced.

There’s an argument that the only way to balance a MMO is through chaos, which seemed to work in games like TSW.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

They can’t really balance what they have right now and you think, they will be able to balance the game, when all classes can wield all weapons ?

Pffff, dream on !! Don’t make me laugh hard.
Some people here are reading too much wrong things into those old blogposts, that never have been officially announced.
Colin has never exactly said anything about it, that they are working on it to give all weapons for all classes.
they have said so far only, that if they intend ever on adding new weapons to the classes, that they would prefer adding first some of the already existing weapons to other classes, before they would ever add any real new weapon to the game, because of the fact, that adding new weapons requires alot more work and effort to implement, than to add a weapon to a class, that already exists.

Thats a completely different statement, than saying, that all classes will be ablle to use all weapons some day.

Stop with your wishthinking. This is GW2 and not a GW1 Clone and it should never hopefully become that. GW2 should stay different.
Once Anet is at the point of wanting to add more weapons into the game, it woudl be smart anyway to start with that first slowly in regard of game balance and to give each class first 1 to maximum 2 additional new weapons.
Alone this would be already a big deal for now first.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

Every weapon for every class idea may sound good but instead of giving non-fitting weapons to every class, they should add new weapon types and give them to their ‘fitting’ classes. Also current weapons can be used by ‘fitting’ classes too.
For example I have a few new weapon ideas : Crossbow (for rangers, engineers, thieves and warriors), Scythe (for necro obv., guardian(dervish style)), Polearm (warrior, guardian, ranger), Chakram (mesmer, ele, thief, necro)… These are my few examples, their number can be increased with many new weapons.
Also some of current weapons may fit other classes. For example rifle (guardian, thief, ranger), dagger (mesmer, ranger), sword/greatsword (necro), shield(ranger) etc…
Class weapon additions must be in balanced numbers, e.g. 5 new weapons per class.
This way one specific class won’t get more love than others.

(edited by Umut.5471)

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

Look at the date of the posts.

Save yourself the heartache.

It isn’t happening.

Even if it does, there will still be no new WvW or PvP content, or more areas to explore in PvE, so there won’t be a reason to log in to use the new weapons.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

/imagined 3 Phantasmal Hammermen perma-knocking zergs in WvW

WOULD BE SO AWESOME!!!!!!!

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

My thief is in desperate need of a staff for controlled melee thwacking. Just think:

1. Combo: Hylek Walking Stick
    1. Leap forward and hit enemy
    2. Swing to strike enemies around you, extending durations of their conditions
    3. Hit enemy and push yourself backward
    4. From Stealth: Strike foe 3 times, inflicting Blind, Weakness, and Confusion
  2. Block: Harpy Hiding Branch
    1. If hit, gain 2s Stealth
    2. Else, gain 2s Quickness
  3. Field: Ogre Brand
    1. Swing staff in a circle to create a Smoke field and reflect projectiles
    2. Hold to extend duration up to 4s; field continues 2s after release
  4. Throw staff: Krait Tanglefang
    1. Hold 1s to bind staff in place at target’s location and inflict 2s Immobilize on touching enemies
    2. Hold 3s, (to end of Immobilize), to inflict 2s Fear and 5s Agony
  5. Attack: Dredge Drum Beater
    1. Hold to charge, gaining Stealth and Quickness to quietly recharge other skills; Stealth and Quickness end as soon you release
    2. Release to slam staff against ground and release a dust wave, dealing high damage (based on charge time) to the target and blinding enemies in the area
I should be writing.

(edited by Gulesave.5073)

A Massive Headache.1879

Look at the date of the posts.

Save yourself the heartache.

It isn’t happening.

Even if it does, there will still be no new WvW or PvP content, or more areas to explore in PvE, so there won’t be a reason to log in to use the new weapons.

Living story 2 has been confirmed permanent content. and all likely hood going into maguuma.

Xae Isareth.1364

They can’t really balance what they have right now and you think, they will be able to balance the game, when all classes can wield all weapons ?

Pffff, dream on !! Don’t make me laugh hard.
Some people here are reading too much wrong things into those old blogposts, that never have been officially announced.
Colin has never exactly said anything about it, that they are working on it to give all weapons for all classes.
they have said so far only, that if they intend ever on adding new weapons to the classes, that they would prefer adding first some of the already existing weapons to other classes, before they would ever add any real new weapon to the game, because of the fact, that adding new weapons requires alot more work and effort to implement, than to add a weapon to a class, that already exists.

Thats a completely different statement, than saying, that all classes will be ablle to use all weapons some day.

Stop with your wishthinking. This is GW2 and not a GW1 Clone and it should never hopefully become that. GW2 should stay different.
Once Anet is at the point of wanting to add more weapons into the game, it woudl be smart anyway to start with that first slowly in regard of game balance and to give each class first 1 to maximum 2 additional new weapons.
Alone this would be already a big deal for now first.

So you mean the game should stay with a shallow combat system and next to zero build diversity in PvE? You don’t be different just for being different’s sake, especially when you’re the sequel of an iconic game and that iconic for its deep costumisation system and diverse builds.

Like I said before, MMOs are impossible to balance perfectly, and if you do want a perfectly balanced MMO, you got a dead one that never updates.

Lishtenbird.2814

for its deep costumisation system

That mistype matches GW2 hilariously well.

Xae Isareth.1364

for its deep costumisation system

That mistype matches GW2 hilariously well.

Oh you~

Posted by: Maliel.8362

Maliel.8362

Imagine the new thief hammer builds.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

My ideas… Warrior scepter would be a support-oriented weapon to distinguish it from maces. Not sure how they’d use a focus yet, though.

I’m not sure if it would be Warrior or Ranger, but the staff would be a defensive two-handed weapon focused on blocks and missile deflection. “Guard, Turn, Parry, Dodge, Spin, Thrust, Whack-Self-in-Face” sort of deal going on.

For underwater combat, a Trident could be a mid-range+melee weapon with an emphasis on condition application – torment, bleed, possibly even poison.

As for concerns about balance – the best way to try to keep a complex game balanced is to break and shake up the metagame frequently. Adding new weapons and combat abilities and counters and playstyles to contend will disrupt the metagame and require players to find a new imbalances – and new tools allow more counters to the meta.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Personally I’m for new weapons spread across the classes – I would be against ALL weapons for ALL classes.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver