Everyone wants something for nothing.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Robert Devine.3087

Robert Devine.3087

All I see are people complainig about not getting gems or chracter slits for buying the expansion. You already do not have to pay a subscription fee. I have never seen a community of players whine about not getting free stuff added to a game so much. Maybe it is the non subscription that has created this mentality but arenanet does not owe you guys anything but a game that you have bought to play. Thats it period.

Posted by: Therodin.2970

Therodin.2970

Do you think 50$ is a fair price for just the expansion?

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

ArenaNet needs to offer something worth $50 if they want $50. The complaints you are seeing are from the many people who feel that what ArenaNet is currently offering is not worth $50 and they are exercising their right to let ArenaNet know about it.

That’s it, period.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Calcanius.5048

Calcanius.5048

Stop the white knight.
Two people go into same shop to buy a bundle made out of 2 items, lets call the item BOB, Person 1 already have a BOB and person two dont.
Bundle contains BOB and a expansion for BOB.

The Problem is when you leave the store, a store clerk come running after you and say to the one: Sorry Sir, but i see that you already have BOB at home and takes your BOB away.

Both payed the same amount, How do you think person 1 feels now ?

This is the main reason people are getting so angry. We hate when other steal from us

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

All I see are people complainig about not getting gems or chracter slits for buying the expansion. You already do not have to pay a subscription fee. I have never seen a community of players whine about not getting free stuff added to a game so much. Maybe it is the non subscription that has created this mentality but arenanet does not owe you guys anything but a game that you have bought to play. Thats it period.

But they are not giving people what they paid for.
New player base game + hot
Old player hot ( were is my second base game i can use myself or give away to a friend)

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

Everyone wants value for money, and not be taken for a mug by a company that introduces a new class, but denies acess to it.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

New player: for 50 dollars gets: vanilla game with 31 maps, 24 dungeons, a couple thousand armor and weapon skins, 5 character slots, and the expansion.

Old player: for 50 dollars gets: the expansion.
(For 10 dollars (or ~150 gold) more he can get a character slot to play that hyped up new profession. Or he can delete an old character)

It just doesn’t feel like the old player is getting as much as a new player and perception as well as price is important with selling things

If they gave the old players an additional account to go with the purchase, it would bring it much closer to parity.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Just ignore it if it bothers you. They have a right to express their opinions about the game. There’s no need for you to criticize the players. If you feel that price for HoT is fair, fine, or great, then feel free to discuss it. But please keep your discussion to the topic of the game and not the posters.

Posted by: Tirien.1326

Tirien.1326

Stop the white knight.
Two people go into same shop to buy a bundle made out of 2 items, lets call the item BOB, Person 1 already have a BOB and person two dont.

The Problem is when you leave the store, a store clerk come running after you and say to the one: Sorry Sir, but i see that you already have BOB at home and takes your BOB away.

This is the main reason people are getting so angry. We hate when other steal from us

Wrong.

One of those two buys something a year ago, the other one goes in the same shop and buys the same thing a year after, he gets it for a lower price and it includes something else. Like all games…. Value changes….

Its cute that you think that the value of something stays the same, year after year. It doesn’t. I wish it was so… That would mean i could get 60k$ for my pos volvo v40 1998…

Posted by: Therodin.2970

Therodin.2970

Stop the white knight.

Wrong.

One of those two buys something a year ago, the other one goes in the same shop and buys the same thing a year after, he gets it for a lower price and it includes something else. Like all games…. Value changes….

Its cute that you think that the value of something stays the same, year after year. It doesn’t. I wish it was so… That would mean i could get 60k$ for my pos volvo v40 1998…

I disagree, one of the people bought something a year ago and then bought it again the same day as the second person. But because he already owned it they said nope you can not have a second one with this purchase.

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

Stop the white knight.

BEAUTIFULLY PUT!!!

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Talk about a straw-man… yours can stomp on buildings.

It’s hard for you so i’ll explain it: People think the price is too high for what they are getting. So they are suggesting something to make it more valuable if the price won’t go down. (in this case, adding a character slot) This, to them, would make the $50 cost worth it.
I know your argument is so bad you need to hyperbolize & strawman, but no one is “whining for free stuff”.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

You couldn’t be more wrong OP. We want something for value. Everyone expected a price tag.

Robert Devine.3087

Game comapnys do it all the time and always have offered base games with the expansion it is nothing new. Everquest often does this. It is to get new players into the game without having to but the core game for a certain amount then the expansion as well which would get veey expensive. Heck even wow has started doing it. My point isnthis though if you are not happy with the expansion ans what itnhas to offer then dont buy it. The expansion is not called hot plus gems and char slots.

Just a flesh wound.3589

/shrug. I’m not buying the preorder. I’ll wait until after it goes live then see what the price is.

ANet may give it to you.

Robert Devine.3087

You couldn’t be more wrong OP. We want something for value. Everyone expected a price tag.

You guys have no clue what is all in the expansion and what is not. They have not showed everything. I do think that is not ok. For all we know the expansion has a ton of stuff they havent showed us and if thats the case great if not i surly do not want gems or another slot to makenup for it i want more content.

Posted by: Pickles.9436

Pickles.9436

Almost all mmos today dont require a sub fee, because people hate it. mmos that tried to go with a subfee out of the gate quickly realized this and dropped it, after their numbers weren’t doing so well.

So trying to use this in an argument is pointless, because subfees are on their way out anyway.

Robert Devine.3087

Almost all mmos today dont require a sub fee, because people hate it. mmos that tried to go with a subfee out of the gate quickly realized this and dropped it, after their numbers weren’t doing so well.

So trying to use this in an argument is pointless, because subfees are on their way out anyway.

Posted by: IIvIIozzie.9250

IIvIIozzie.9250

What I don’t understand is people are getting something for nothing and they are still complaining! People it’s so simple. Sign up for a new account on the website and you get the base game free with purchase of HoT! Now you get two accounts!

Robert Devine.3087

Yes it is valid because most mmos that do not require a subscription are pay to win or you cant access a lot of content or are limted to how much gold you can have. In this gsme you can get max level all the end game gear and go anywhere you want all for just the vase price of the game.

Pickles.9436

Yes it is valid because most mmos that do not require a subscription are pay to win or you cant access a lot of content or are limted to how much gold you can have. In this gsme you can get max level all the end game gear and go anywhere you want all for just the vase price of the game.

pay to win =/= subscription.

Though…I guess then you are arguing against gw2 having an xpac because they are locking content behind a paywall….

Robert Devine.3087

pay to win =/= subscription.

Though…I guess then you are arguing against gw2 having an xpac because they are locking content behind a paywall….

Just a flesh wound.3589

What I don’t understand is people are getting something for nothing and they are still complaining! People it’s so simple. Sign up for a new account on the website and you get the base game free with purchase of HoT! Now you get two accounts!

And you can’t play the expansion on your old account, it’s forever stalled in Guild Wars 2 vanilla. Your old chars on that account don’t have access to the new maps, the elite specializations, the Revenant, the mastery system or the new way to make Legendaries.

WHAT A DEAL! Where can I (not) sign up?

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

I just want to know exactly what I’m getting for my money. ANet haven’t provided this information. When they do, I can decide what to do.

Not just going to buy based on hype, promises and no information. Otherwise you’re just gambling and hoping.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Robert Devine.3087

Are you 10 years old? You are acting like it.

You know, the first person to start throwing insults in an argument means they’re losing. If you have actually nothing to counter with, then accept your loss and move on.

It’s not a win or lose thing. I feel as though i have won because spending 50 dollars for new content in a game i have not had to pay a single dime for after purchase is sufficiant for me. All ofnyour arguments have been invalid and just morenofnthat wanting free stuff mentality. People like you are the problem with this world.

Robert Devine.3087

I just want to know exactly what I’m getting for my money. ANet haven’t provided this information. When they do, I can decide what to do.

Not just going to buy based on hype, promises and no information. Otherwise you’re just gambling and hoping.

Robert Devine.3087

This i completly understand. All of these people though have no clue what they are or are not getting but just demand gems and char slots. It is terrible the mentalitiy so many people have. Oh if i have to pay 50 bucks i want 60 bucks in gems and a free char slot.

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

Stop the white knight.

Only in the mind of MMO players is someone else getting something equal to you having something stolen from you.

Better:
Nearly every day Customer A goes to a cafe that has great coffee and breakfast sandwiches. Some days he gets coffee and a sandwich, some days just coffee. Yesterday he went in and bought a coffee and sandwich. Today customer A goes in and just buys a coffee. At the same time, Customer B walks in and orders the same coffee too. The cafe owner notices that Customer B has never been there before and asks, “Is this your first time here? Our specialty is the bacon and egg sandwich.” Sensing an opportunity to create a repeat customer, the cafe owner offers Customer B a sandwich for free with his coffee purchase.

Normal world thinking: The cafe owner is using a promotion to try to create a new “regular” customer.

MMO forum thinking: Customer A had the sandwich that he ate yesterday stolen from him.

Posted by: Gundam Zephyr.6713

Gundam Zephyr.6713

Stop the white knight.

Only in the mind of MMO players is someone else getting something equal to you having something stolen from you.

Better:
Nearly every day Customer A goes to a cafe that has great coffee and breakfast sandwiches. Some days he gets coffee and a sandwich, some days just coffee. Yesterday he went in and bought a coffee and sandwich. Today customer A goes in and just buys a coffee. At the same time, Customer B walks in and orders the same coffee too. The cafe owner notices that Customer B has never been there before and asks, “Is this your first time here? Our specialty is the bacon and egg sandwich.” Sensing an opportunity to create a repeat customer, the cafe owner offers Customer B a sandwich for free with his coffee purchase.

Normal world thinking: The cafe owner is using a promotion to try to create a new “regular” customer.

MMO forum thinking: Customer A had the sandwich that he ate yesterday stolen from him.

Amen.

Posted by: skepticck.9714

skepticck.9714

… I have never seen a community of players whine about not getting free stuff added to a game so much…

So you decide to whine about other people whining, guess that makes sense O_o

Robert Devine.3087

Stop the white knight.

Better:

Amen.

Pickles.9436

Are you 10 years old? You are acting like it.

You know, the first person to start throwing insults in an argument means they’re losing. If you have actually nothing to counter with, then accept your loss and move on.

It’s not a win or lose thing. I feel as though i have won because spending 50 dollars for new content in a game i have not had to pay a single dime for after purchase is sufficiant for me. All ofnyour arguments have been invalid and just morenofnthat wanting free stuff mentality. People like you are the problem with this world.

If i’m the problem with this world, then the world is really getting nitpicky on who causes the problems.

You know, what, your right. People who get stuff for free shouldn’t. Like free content. People should just get what comes in the box for $50, and any new content that comes out later, pay for. What? You want it free? You entitled people! Get out of that free stuff mentality!

Robert Devine.3087

Double amen. I bet a lot of these people are the same that create dungeon partys saying 2k ap exp zerker but need you to carry them through the dungeon. Thats the vibe a lot of this community gives off.

Posted by: Phaze Delta One.2834

Phaze Delta One.2834

Do you think 50$ is a fair price for just the expansion?

If I can get 2+ years of fun out of it, then yes.

Posted by: funkylovemonkey.3097

funkylovemonkey.3097

Stop the white knight.

Better:

Really? That’s your counter?

If I saw this happen in real life I would assume that the cafe owner didn’t care much about my patronage. Every first year business student knows that it costs a business five times as much to sign a new customer as it does to retain the business of a current customer. If this cafe owner was offering free sandwiches to new customers while ignoring his loyal customers, I would probably be looking for a different cafe.

It’s not that I think that the customer stole my sandwich. It’s that I think the business owner doesn’t value my continued loyalty, and so I would be better off spending my money elsewhere.

Which speaks to the deeper concern, which is that HOT simply has not shown a lot of content for the money they’re charging. At announcement they said there would be three “content dense” pve zones, one WVW map and one new PVP map, along with a new class. The problem is, “content dense” sounds a little like marketing speak. Like when a real estate agent is trying to sell you a “cozy” house, what they’re saying is it’s cramped. Maybe there’s a huge amount of content that hasn’t been revealed in all the videos and betas, in which case this is just a situation where Anet has been failing at marketing.

But it seems more likely that Anet is like the Cafe owner in your little example, and it’s taking my continued patronage for granted. Those who are raising objections on the forums and elsewhere are doing so because they want to remind Anet that our continued patronage is not guaranteed and HOT has failed to impress.

nexxe.7081

You guys have no clue what is all in the expansion and what is not. They have not showed everything. I do think that is not ok. For all we know the expansion has a ton of stuff they havent showed us and if thats the case great if not i surly do not want gems or another slot to makenup for it i want more content.

You just proved my point. Some of us are waiting for the full reveal to determine if it’s worth the purchase. That’s not expecting “something for nothing”.

The irony is, you support paying for something that is indeterminate.

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

Would you say that Anet wanting people to fork out 800 gems (remember that even if you buy them with gold, someone paid real money for them) to unlock a character slot so that they can use the new class they already paid for by buying the expansion is them wanting something for nothing? I would.

Posted by: defrule.7236

defrule.7236

At the moment it feels like Anet are showing us silver and expecting us to pay the price of gold for it. We have no assurance that the silver will turn to gold, and if you pay you run the risk of it turning to dirt.

IIvIIozzie.9250

And you can’t play the expansion on your old account, it’s forever stalled in Guild Wars 2 vanilla. Your old chars on that account don’t have access to the new maps, the elite specializations, the Revenant, the mastery system or the new way to make Legendaries.

Why would you want to attach the expansion to a used copy of the game anyway. Besides it gives you a game free.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Why would you want to attach the expansion to a used copy of the game anyway. Besides it gives you a game free.

Ummm. Because I want to take my old chars that I’ve been playing for the last 3 years to the new area also? Because I want to be able to use all the skins, titles minipets, etc, that I have on my Revenant without rebuying them, some of which are no longer available. Because I’m not interested in starting over with a bare bones account when my other account has everything I’ve worked a whole heck of a lot of hours for.

Does this mean you’ll be buying a brand new account for each expansion and letting your old account sit in the old content?

Maybe you aren’t attached to your old chars and can leave them sitting there in vanilla, but I’m not interested. I want to take my old chars to the new area, crazy as that might seem to someone who doesn’t care about such things.

ANet may give it to you.

IIvIIozzie.9250

I think it’s rather gracious that they even give players a choice. They didn’t have to give away a free copy of the game, but they did anyway. Had they not done so the majority of the complaints would not exist. I’ve never seen people upset and getting something for free in my life…. that wasn’t a STD.

nexxe.7081

I think it’s rather gracious that they even give players a choice. They didn’t have to give away a free copy of the game, but they did anyway. Had they not done so the majority of the complaints would not exist. I’ve never seen people upset and getting something for free in my life…. that wasn’t a STD.

HoT is free? That’s news to me.

It’s not free at all, not even for new players. They still have to pay for the initial fee to even access the servers.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Stop the white knight.

Better:

If its a promotion then every person entering that cafe that day should get the same deal not just new ones.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Just ignore it if it bothers you. They have a right to express their opinions about the game. There’s no need for you to criticize the players. If you feel that price for HoT is fair, fine, or great, then feel free to discuss it. But please keep your discussion to the topic of the game and not the posters.

I am going to just try to ignore it my self but i really did think more from GW2 community then this the level of ppl self deception that 50$ is a lot in the gaming world well it feels like they are making things up or live under a rock.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

IIvIIozzie.9250

@nexxe: the base game is completely free. No charge at all for it once you purchase HoT.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

To be fair, there are a lot of issues.

• Misleading information: To play HoT you must have GW2; absent clarification to the contrary, this created the impression that the two are separate price items. Now, it turns out they’re linked, but only if you apply HoT to a new account. Anyone who bought an account after the HoT announcement, whether it’s their 1st, 2nd or umpty-ninth in anticipation of needing it to access HoT has a reason to feel hard done by.
  • Value for Money: Any consumer who buys a product without first evaluating whether the product provides value for the amount charged is encouraging producers to cut corners and provide less for the same, or in some cases less for more. Obviously, value is going to be a subjective judgment. Some feel that HoT is providing a lot for the money; some think otherwise. Belittling the latter group of consumers for being “greedy” plays into the hands of companies whose goal is making a profit. It sends the message, “Hey, we’re willing to settle.”
  • Good v. poor marketing: ANet’s Gag Order and the dribbles of info about HoT leave consumers in limbo about the expansion. We now have a price point, but have insufficient information to make an informed decision.
  • Why complain now? The longer consumers wait, the less likely ANet will be to make changes to the price model. No news is good news. The non-squeaky wheel definitely does not get the grease. Out of sight, out of mind. The ideal consumer tactic to send a message is to refrain from buying. However, doing so in a vacuum leaves ANet in the dark as to why. Telling them why is an effective means to convey what is perceived to be wrong. At that point the ball is in their court.

Posted by: multiplicity.4385

multiplicity.4385

It’s not getting something for nothing.

I bought the game when it first came out. I pre-ordered the game almost a year before GW2 actually came out. I was there for the beta access, and the three day head start. I paid the total price and have played it since. I’ve been there for the content updates, the megaserver roll-out, the living story part 1 and part 2 now. I’ve spent hundreds of dollars on gems, and I’ve spent hundreds of hours in the game.

When the expansion is $50 and comes with the base game for a new customer, that seems like a fair deal. When I have to pay $50 for the expansion and don’t even get the base game free with it, then it’s a ripoff. Instead of giving me the option of attaching the HoT expansion to my current active account, and just using the serial code to create a vanilla account that comes free for whatever I want, they are saying I have to pay $50 for HoT and get nothing else.

Someone else gets a whole new account with everything attached, and I get the same thing they are getting for the same price, minus the base game?

Unfair.

If they gave incentive for veteran players to benefit from the $50 price, such as even letting us keep the extra base game it comes with free, then it might be worth it. But unless more incentive is given, I’m not paying 50 bucks for a small amount of content compared to the new customer.

Going with the previous example of the cafe owner:

New Customer is given a deal when going to the cafe for the first time. The deal is: “First time customers who buy a coffee get a sandwich free!” This makes sense to draw in new customers. However, for old customers, they get nothing. Companies I’ve seen who have promotions for new customers generally do so with the added benefit of a different promotion for older customers. So offering a sandwich free to a new customer is a deal for the new customer. Offering 10% off their coffee for an older customer at the same time keeps the consumer base happy.

If you provide a smart deal for new players, but ignore the veteran players by offering them nothing for the same value as a new player, you are going to lose people. You are going to see lack of players who are upset that all their time and love and energy is forgotten or sacrificed (see: ignored) for new customers who may not even stick around.

My suggestion is to offer something to the veteran players at the same time as the new players. Such as “if you already own the game, $10 off HoT!” or something similar.

Because before, the base game without any upgrade stuff was $10 on deal, and it went on special a lot. So now they’re paying the $10 it would have been, plus $40 to get the expansion (this is for new player). People who already own the game get the expansion for $40, and it breaks even.

@just getting a new account person:

My old account has been around since the beginning of GW2. I played in GW1, but that’s irrelevant. I want to use HoT on my current account so I can get access to the new areas and continue the stories of my current characters. Not make whole new ones and leave my current account in the dust. I don’t use accounts and characters just to farm, or play PvP, or WvW. I use my characters and love them all equally. I enjoy playing them; it’s why I made them. I’m not going to just forget that in favor of a shiny new account where I won’t have any of my progress from the living stories, or from the effort and time I put into them.

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

No we want value for money.

We want lots of great content to look forward in kitten expansion.

I can honestly say there’s just not enough in what they’re offering to look forward to this or pre-order at all.

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

I’m not going to pay the same and get less value for my money than a new player, I won’t.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

Wrong.

Double Wrong. If the old GW2 is worthless then Anet should just give it away for free to everyone. No charge.

The point is new players get both HOT and the old GW2 Including 4 character slots.

Looks like Anet cares more for the new blood than the people that got them where they are. The proof is in the outrage in this forum and no replay by Anet.