Exactly why should I buy Character Slots?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: rodadams.5963

rodadams.5963

In the end, I’m just not seeing any point in buying extra character slots anymore.

Almost any reward of worth is now being limited on a “once per day per account” basis.
However, the task of gearing and leveling multiple characters requires you to split those rewards amongst them, thus making extra characters a burden on your account.

I could potentially believe a “replayability” arguement…. except that a lot of the fun things to do, like discovering all the zones, doing all the jumping puzzles, etc, are all account bound. So once your first 1-4 characters has done it…. that’s about it.

In the US these days, Amazon sells a complete new account for the same price as you’d pay for 4 character slots going the cash->gem route. It seems like this would be the better route to go for expanding your playing base, and have a private guild between the two for joint storage.

The only “downside” I see is achievement chest progress… but really that’s not a big deal either. Once you’ve done most of the ‘discover XXX’ options, your main AP’s come from dailies, monthlies, and Living Story. Depending on how much you play, this is easily covered in the timeframes, and you can always focus on the ‘primary’ account first. So I’m not really seeing that as a big issue.

At this point, I basically am regretting buying the three extra slots I have. It seems it would have been MUCH better to have bought a second account, and to have split my characters across them.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

You should rephrase the question “Why should I create alts”

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

rodadams.5963

Well, I already have current slots filled, but the two questions are about the same.
With little need for alts, there’s zero need for character slots.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I think the character slots question is better because it goes right to the inconsistent heart of the matter. Character slots are a revenue generator for ANet, but at the same time, they continue to do things to discourage people from buying them, or making those of us who did feel stupid.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I opted to buy char slots so I could have 1 of each profession. To me, each plays differently, and I enjoy experiencing them all. Beyond that, I will buy additional slots to have duplicates of my favorites in the other races so I can experience the other story lines. But, this is just me though.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I opted to buy char slots so I could have 1 of each profession. To me, each plays differently, and I enjoy experiencing them all. Beyond that, I will buy additional slots to have duplicates of my favorites in the other races so I can experience the other story lines. But, this is just me though.

I’m the same.

I have all classes except necro to lvl 80. Most of them I crafted to 80. And I had to buy extra character slots to accomodate it.

Funny thing is, I don’t even play all my classes well. I just want them there as an option. They’re all geared well in exotics but I wasted so much gold on them “just cause”

I guess I’m just content that, if I ever get bored with my main, I have lvl 80 characters out there ready to experiment and play with. I still have a lot to learn about thiefs and engis, for e.g.

Right now I just park them at tough JP’s hoping for a free, quick precursor.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I have 7 slots currently. Will buy an 8th and final slot so I can have 1 of each profession. It’s not just about achievements. It’s about having fun playing a completely different profession, learning the ins-and-outs, perfecting them, making em look cool with snazzy gear, etc.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Karzender.6397

Karzender.6397

That’s crazy talk! Making new characters so you can play a different class and try different things? Pshaw! Who does that any more? The real question is, what rewards can I get? No rewards = no sale.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Well, Vol. has over 1,000 gold, so he’s not going to be buying them with his own money (RL money not gold) anyway. I’m not sure about everyone else.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

I have 5 80s in 5 slots. They are all vastly different playstyles and are geared for doing different or specific things. I will eventually have 8 slots with one of each class.

I’m not sure I understand the question? If you don’t see a difference between builds and classes, you might be running similar/cookiecutter builds or something across all characters. The perks of keeping everything on one account is substantial. The wallet is evidence enough of that.

(edited by Hickeroar.9734)

Posted by: Uvatha.5476

Uvatha.5476

Dungeons award the gold once per day per run but the tokens for each alt is still 60 for the first time each and that’s important for people with goals to get dungeon armor or just grind dungeon tokens as a source of rares.

Continuing with the dungeon theme if you run with many different parties you may find the need to switch to a different class depending on the party needs and make up. Having options to bring in that others may not make you an asset to dungeon groups and guilds.

No matter how many wallets and banks you have your play time and earning potential is still the same. There are multiple characters but only one of you. Time you spend on one character takes away from the earning potential of another. The singular wallet is just an aggregate of all the money you would have earned within the course of regular play and isn’t hurting the money one could be maxing out with other alts.

rodadams.5963

I totally get the “one of each profession” argument. After all, that’s what I did out of the gate on the early launch day. I have them all to L80, and mostly geared up

However, at this point, I don’t see the point of getting more character slots, as opposed to getting a new account.

Consider what a second account gets you:
- Five more slots, for the price of four.
- An extra bank tab (granted, likely filled with account bound fluff.)
- Twice the dungeon rewards
- Twice the dragon event rewards
- Twice the T6 gathering nodes
- Be able to play the discovery game twice

Alternatively, getting more char slots gets you:
- a few percent more XP and Karma from kills… easily offset from all the account achievements to get all over again.

My belief is that if at the beginning, had I bought a second account, instead of three extra slots, and spread my eight professions across the accts, I’d be in a much better place today.

Hickeroar.9734

That sounds like a LOT of work. If you just want to farm all day, sure. That’s gonna be more profitable.

rodadams.5963

Dungeons award the gold once per day per run but the tokens for each alt is still 60 for the first time each and that’s important for people with goals to get dungeon armor or just grind dungeon tokens as a source of rares.

This was changed with today’s patch. You get the 60 tokens once per path per day per account, not per character.

Hickeroar.9734

This was changed with today’s patch. You get the 60 tokens once per path per day per account, not per character.

If that’s true, that’s actually a reversion of a previous change. It used to be per account, then it was per character. kinda sucks if it’s true.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

If that’s true, that’s actually a reversion of a previous change. It used to be per account, then it was per character. kinda sucks if it’s true.

Nowhere in today’s patch notes do I see this change. Only changes to loot and gold.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

rodadams.5963

That sounds like a LOT of work. If you just want to farm all day, sure. That’s gonna be more profitable.

It’s not necessarily about farming… it’s about getting rewarded for what you’re doing.
Part of the fun of doing the big event stuff is getting the loot at the end. It’s not really a “farm” mentality, it’s a “I didn’t just completely waste my time” mentality.

Hickeroar.9734

It’s not necessarily about farming… it’s about getting rewarded for what you’re doing.
Part of the fun of doing the big event stuff is getting the loot at the end. It’s not really a “farm” mentality, it’s a “I didn’t just completely waste my time” mentality.

My point is that if you have enough time to do all the once-a-day profitable things….TWICE….then you have more time than most players out there. Grinding is relative, but to me that’s totally a grind.

But yes, a second account will get you more money if that’s what you want to do.

rodadams.5963

Nowhere in today’s patch notes do I see this change. Only changes to loot and gold.

I haven’t tested it myself yet, but according to several threads in the Dungeons forum, like the one linked below, it was changed to that.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Question-about-the-new-dungeon-change

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

Character slots are cheaper than bank slots for extra storage

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I bought another account…

Not so much I care about the gold.

But just in case some friend whispered me for dungeon but I already did the dungeon for the day.

Posted by: Stego.3148

Stego.3148

Multi accounts is superior in every way. The entire game being once per account per day is a bad idea. Even your point on the achievement chests it just means you get more of the gold rewards from them in the long run.

Especially with more time gated crafted ascendeds comings. A way to farm free of DR and numerous other benefits. Multi account is vastly superior to one account with multi characters.

Discovered the one and only ecto nerf to date. Endured verbal abuse and infractions to prove it:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Changes-to-ecto-salvage-from-rares/first

(edited by Stego.3148)

laokoko.7403

Multi accounts is superior in every way.

Untill you realize you need to buy another set of perma bank license, perma merchant license, perma trading post license, and more bank tab.

Seriously, there are 25 dungeon exp path. If you can complete all of them in a day all prop to you.

Posted by: Stego.3148

Stego.3148

Untill you realize you need to buy another set of perma bank license, perma merchant license, perma trading post license, and more bank tab.

Seriously, there are 25 dungeon exp path. If you can complete all of them in a day all prop to you.

Seriously why would you buy all those things when you can just mail everything to your main account. 4x 5 slot bags and nothing else would do the trick.

Only permenant service that’s even slightly useful is perm hairkit btw.

Perm TP / Bank / merchant all accounts have at starts. It’s called que wvw walk a few steps then log out and in.

Discovered the one and only ecto nerf to date. Endured verbal abuse and infractions to prove it:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Changes-to-ecto-salvage-from-rares/first

(edited by Stego.3148)

laokoko.7403

Untill you realize you need to buy another set of perma bank license, perma merchant license, perma trading post license, and more bank tab. 4x 5 slot bags and nothing else would do the trick.

Seriously why would you buy all those things when you can just mail everything to your main account.

Only permenant service that’s even slightly useful is perm hairkit btw.

Perm TP / Bank / merchant all accounts have at starts. It’s called que wvw walk a few steps then log out and in.

I’m spoiled. I have 9 permanent bank license. Once you start using it, you wont’ go back.

Posted by: wolfpaq.7354

wolfpaq.7354

Almost any reward of worth is now being limited on a “once per day per account” basis.
However, the task of gearing and leveling multiple characters requires you to split those rewards amongst them, thus making extra characters a burden on your account.

This is an excellent point and I hope ArenaNet does something to address this ridiculous discrepancy. Laurels are a perfect example. One year of PERFECT daily & monthly completion = 2 sets of ascended JEWELRY. That’s 5 / 18 slots btw.

When they finally get around to adding weapons & armor it’s REALLY going to suck.

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

This is an excellent point and I hope ArenaNet does something to address this ridiculous discrepancy. Laurels are a perfect example. One year of PERFECT daily & monthly completion = 2 sets of ascended JEWELRY. That’s 5 / 18 slots btw.

You must be doing something wrong. I have 4 alts full of ascended jewelry, + over 100 laurels saved up.

Are you properly utilizing your fractal relics and guild commendations, and badges of honor?

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I like playing alts

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

wolfpaq.7354

You must be doing something wrong. I have 4 alts full of ascended jewelry, + over 100 laurels saved up.

Are you properly utilizing your fractal relics and guild commendations, and badges of honor?

I’m talking about laurels. You know, the only reward in the game that actually rewards you for playing the game. Not the rewards for jumping through ridiculously hoops (sometimes quite literally), WvW zerging for hours or doing the same boring fractals over and over and over again. Let me guess, you also have an ascended backpiece infused? That’s 2350 fractal relics. Kitten that kitten.

So yes, I am doing something wrong. I’m playing the game I enjoy playing it, the way arenanet advertised it could be played with “no vertical progression”. And here I am stuck behind vertical progression because of it.

Ursan.7846

I’m talking about laurels. You know, the only reward in the game that actually rewards you for playing the game. Not the rewards for jumping through ridiculously hoops (sometimes quite literally), WvW zerging for hours or doing the same boring fractals over and over and over again.

So yes, I am doing something wrong. I’m playing the game I enjoy playing it, the way arenanet advertised it could be played with “no vertical progression”. And here I am stuck behind vertical progression because of it.

Well, obviously you aren’t optimizing your time because you aren’t enjoying it. That’s fine, but don’t expect your rewards to be optimized as well. Do what you enjoy, the lack of ascended definitely isn’t preventing you from being able to experience it.

You’re given options, you’re just choosing not to do them.

(PS Anet never advertised this game would have no vertical progression. It does. i.e. existence of levels and rarity level. And oh yea, GW1 had them too. i.e. title tracks)

wolfpaq.7354

Well, obviously you aren’t optimizing your time because you aren’t enjoying it. That’s fine, but don’t expect your rewards to be optimized as well.

Why not? In guild wars 1 I had the best gear in the game as soon as I hit max level, no grinding required. You’re right though, shame on me for expecting guild wars 2 and it’s “no grinding required” advertisements to be truthful.

And oh yea, GW1 had them too. i.e. title tracks

I don’t care about title tracks! I ignored most of the title tracks in gw1 and guess what? My character had best in slot gear anyway. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Ursan.7846

Why not? In guild wars 1 I had the best gear in the game as soon as I hit max level, no grinding required. You’re right though, shame on me for expecting guild wars 2 and it’s “no grinding required” advertisements to be truthful.

This is off-topic, but GW2 was always meant to have a cosmetic grind (Prestige armor/weapons such as Obsidian Armor in GW1/Legendaries in GW2) and a grind for minimal improvement (i.e ascended/runes in GW2, title tracks, specialized insignias, and runes for heroes in GW1). This hasn’t changed from GW1.

Anyways this isn’t really about grinding. It’s about specific content rewarding specific rewards. I’d hardly call Guild Missions a “grind.” Do you expect to earn dungeon armor without doing the specific dungeon?

I don’t care about title tracks! I ignored most of the title tracks in gw1 and guess what? My character had best in slot gear anyway. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Because vertical progression isn’t just gear. The title tracks are still, by definition, vertical progression (increased character power with grind/time/etc.). They existed in GW1, and you chose to ignore them. Fine. Why don’t you ignore them in GW2 as well?

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Maybe extra character alts aren’t for everyone? I mean, I don’t buy all of the town clothing options from the store, doesn’t mean someone else isn’t.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

rodadams.5963

(PS Anet never advertised this game would have no vertical progression. It does. i.e. existence of levels and rarity level. And oh yea, GW1 had them too. i.e. title tracks)

Very true about GW1 having title tracks. However, all but a very small few were Character Bound. Once I got GWAMM on one character, it was completely new challenge and effort to go get GWAMM on another character.
My main GW1 account ended up with 16 characters, because playing it again had meaning.

Also, there were several ‘daily’ activities, namely the Zaishan quests, but again, they were all character bound. If I chose to do so, I could run the same Z-quest across all my characters. Thus, feeding that mass of characters was limited by how much time I wanted to play total, not how many days in a row I logged in.

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

Because playing other classes is fun and using multiple accounts is inconvenient?
Yes I would much richer if I wasn’t leveling alts and having to gear them out or was grinding the same content repeatedly using multiple accounts but it’s not all about the reward.

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I did the same, i have 10 characters 8 at 80, but as the op suggests everything these days goes against that ideal, so 8 or so sit in their slots 24/7 doing nothing because they don’t get a chance at gear or rewards, i feel like it was a huge waste of time.

To give an example my lv 30 Guardian gets nothing from this new event, the rewards are atrocious, so i must play my level 80’s to get anything and my character that needs to level sits on the character screen doing nothing again, great work Anet.

(edited by Dante.1508)

Ursan.7846

Very true about GW1 having title tracks. However, all but a very small few were Character Bound. Once I got GWAMM on one character, it was completely new challenge and effort to go get GWAMM on another character.
My main GW1 account ended up with 16 characters, because playing it again had meaning.

Hehehe. Well, disregarding my question of why you would want to go for GWAMM on all your characters…

My whole point is that you have options. Yes, laurels are time gated. As are Guild Missions and Fractals. But then, taken all together, the time-gate isn’t as onerous as you might imagine. I have 4 characters with full ascended gear, with around 100 laurels, 60 pristine fractal relics, and around 40 guild commendations extra on the side. Badges of Honor makes purchasing any of the above a lot easier as well.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Well, obviously you aren’t optimizing your time because you aren’t enjoying it. That’s fine, but don’t expect your rewards to be optimized as well.

And oh yea, GW1 had them too. i.e. title tracks

There is no grinding required. There’s grinding you choose to do. I assume from what you say that you don’t do fractals, and fractals, higher level ones at that, are the only place that require ascended gear. If you enough fractals to require ascended gear, you’ll get the rings and back piece for pretty much nothing. That only leavings earrings and an amulet from laurels, and earrings are easily gotten with guild missions.

And if you use the WvW laurel vendor, you can stretch your laurels with badges of honor which many people now have an abundance of.

Posted by: Rahaji.8312

Rahaji.8312

The increase in gem price should of decreased the price of character slots. It’s unfair to pay $30 for three slots when people were able to pay $15 for three.

rodadams.5963

Hehehe. Well, disregarding my question of why you would want to go for GWAMM on all your characters…

I only got GWAMM a couple times, but I liked having the option.

However, there were many individual titles I made it a point of getting across all of “The Main Ten”, such as Guardian & Protector of Tyria, Cantha, & Elona. Similar for doing all the Dungeons and elite areas in both Normal and Hard Mode.

Learning how to do all these areas on all the classes was a neat challenge, which the game helped track, and made them character specific achievements. It was only when you got the Hall of Monuments that they merged into a whole account.

In GW2, I have:
- Open World PvE hearts/vistas/pois.
- Story Mode Dungeons.
- Fractals.

None of the jumping puzzles, diving goggkitten ss achievements, crafting, zone discovery, etc.

My whole point is that you have options. Yes, laurels are time gated. As are Guild Missions and Fractals. But then, taken all together, the time-gate isn’t as onerous as you might imagine. I have 4 characters with full ascended gear, with around 100 laurels, 60 pristine fractal relics, and around 40 guild commendations extra on the side. Badges of Honor makes purchasing any of the above a lot easier as well.

Oh, I’ve already bit the bullet on gearing several characters up in Exo gear, and some with Ascended. But it hurts.

However, since I’ve been saving laurels for Amulets for everyone, I’ve not even looked at the other things I could’ve gotten, if I were focusing on fewer characters per account:
- Advanced Gathering tools. 2 laurels for 125 use T6 tools? wow.
- Endless Mystery Cat Tonic sounds neat.

Other things I’d have considered:
- Buying the endless gathering tools from the gem shop… but the “several alts” mentality would mean I’d need to buy 8x of each… or $240USD in gems!!!! no kitten way.
- Spending Guild Commendations on anything but Earrings.

laokoko.7403

As a person with 2893 hours played. 11 level 80. 8 of them with map completion and all personal story….

You do realize you have to do double the amount of work? Aka daily twice a day, guild mission 2 times a week etc etc.

I actually just bought another account. And as a person who play 10+ hours a day, I barely have enough time to do everything.

So if that is really what you want. Give it a rest, and buy another account already.

Posted by: yorick.1305

yorick.1305

Extra slots mean extra storage, more classes. Although I can’t decide which gives better value, bank slots or char’ slots. (You can have 11 slots on one account?).

laokoko.7403

Extra slots mean extra storage, more classes. Although I can’t decide which gives better value, bank slots or char’ slots. (You can have 11 slots on one account?).

i have 22 character. someone have 40. I don’t think there’s limit.