Examine other players gear/builds

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hirasaki.6208

Hirasaki.6208

I think I remember somewhere when gw2 was fresh that the reason why they didn’t allow players to examine each others gear was to prevent elitism or something. But since they added High level Fractals, ascended gear, legendary armor and now Raids (which promotes elitism); Why not let players check other players gear. Also allow players to examine other players builds as well.

I think it will help a lot.
- Newbies can examine similar classes and can get a guide on what build works or what gear set they should be working on.
- Raid groups can critique their member’s gear/builds better.
- Being able to check ppls gear helps ppl who PUG Raids, Fracs greatly.
- In WvW, if your dueling someone and he’s just super awesome, you can check his gear and build and maybe learn from it/copy it.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If you want to show another player your gear or build there are numerous websites to let you do that, or you can ping it in chat. If they want to know what you’re using they can ask.

I don’t see any need for Anet to build a tool into the game to allow random strangers to critisise your build.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I’m fine with it if it shows:
The name of the source item
The name of the skin
The name of prefix
NOT the quality

This way you can see what skins or type of gear is using. That should be fine. This way you cannot see if it’s rare, exotic, ascended or legendary.

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

I would like this just to avoid asking “what skin is that?” when I see a cool look on a player.

Stats and traits can remain private. A way to “link” a build would be cool (a la GW1). That way I can ask and they can offer if they want. Maybe that will come with the next expansion when we can load/save builds

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Posted by: Acnologia.6934

Acnologia.6934

Set: no. If you want know how another ch is dressed just ask him/her in chat.
Build: absolutley no. Simple example: before a match in pvp you can run to the others spawn point click on them see the build and modify yours or be preapered for what you’ll fight. But both can do the same you said: yes. Double dumb.

juno.1840

Set: no. If you want know how another ch is dressed just ask him/her in chat.

I don’t agree with this point since we’re talking cosmetics and your look is currently public (as in I can see it on you character right now).

So why waste everyone’s time, especially when players are, you know… playing, to ask “what is that skin you are wearing?”.

Stats and Traits should remain private. However tools to easily share builds would be very beneficial (similar to what’s in GW1). Those type of tools provide quick build sharing as well as training opportunities (when describing optimum builds for a particular guild event).

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Acnologia.6934

Simple. Example (not me:i’ve 0 look style sense :P):I’ve MY look. It is mine. I love how i’ve built my look to be different from the others (first anti-outfit slogan). I want to be special and unique. Why the others should be able to copy me? (I’ve every outfit out there because i love them. Some of my guildies hate me for that XD) This game was called Fashion Wars 2 last time i checked :P

juno.1840

Because that’s how fashion works . Wanting to be your own special snowflake that nobody can copy isn’t plausible.

Ultimately ANet owns those skins and it’s to ANet’s benefit for players to see those skins because it leads to sales.

P.S. I guess your comment “If you want know how another ch is dressed just ask him/her in chat.” was code for “I won’t tell you”

(edited by juno.1840)

Acnologia.6934

That’s a too simple answer. Let’s all be geared the same way then. Remove everyone style and use the low graphics setting as the unique setting available.
edit: yes someone is like that.
I repeat np for me. My reaper has a very cool look (idk how) and every time someone ask me the gear set and every time i send the answer but… I can understand if someone wants to keep her/his style a “secret”

(edited by Acnologia.6934)

juno.1840

I didn’t say remove style from the game — I said it’s not plausible to keep style secret. It’s out there in the open for everyone to see, just like RL. Ultimately a good style will be copied.

That being said, how many players have you seen that look identical?

So I don’t believe your concern of style-theft is really valid anyway.

Acnologia.6934

Repeat. Np for me. Just saying the entire community will see this like a style-theft. Valid not valid doesn’t count. Community opinion is never total rational. If someone see me in LA and then he copies my look ok. Give to him a tool to do that is another thing….
edit: you said: that’s how fashion works. My answer was on the same semplicist line. After you edited it :P

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Ime people are more often crueler than kinder to strangers in MMOs. OP, all the positive reasons you give also have negative possibilities/iterations.

- Newbies can examine similar classes and can get a guide on what build works or what gear set they should be working on.

Newbies won’t take the time to learn why some builds work synergistically and why some builds won’t… It can stunt a player learning the game, just like for those who ape the meta and never venture outside of it.

-Raid groups can critique their member’s gear/builds better.

Raid groups who know each other also already know each other’s builds and how well the person plays their profession. Raid groups that don’t know each other won’t generally critique another’s build outside of kicking them for not having the correct build.

Same reason I gave above. It doesn’t help a person to be kicked with little/no explanation. It makes one feel unwelcome in the game more often than it motivates them to try harder.

-In WvW, if your dueling someone and he’s just super awesome, you can check his gear and build and maybe learn from it/copy it.

Even more blame and harassment for using cheese builds. Also, this creates a meta-game where someone will examine someone off in the distance, see what their build is, and quickly change theirs to compensate. This also keeps a person from starting a dialogue with their rival asking about their build which could wind up in a new friendship.

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Still do not want this

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

It would useful to see what skins characters are using.

Can’t count how many times I asked what skin is that, only to be met with a stone cold stare, an awkward pause, and the character just running away.

Maybe they were from another country and didn’t understand what I said.
Maybe they were an advanced AI sent back from the future, and they couldn’t risk changing my fate.
Or maybe I am insane and they were never there to begin with.

Acnologia.6934

Stalker :P
message body lenght must at least be 15.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Can’t count how many times I asked what skin is that, only to be met with a stone cold stare, an awkward pause, and the character just running away.

Maybe they were an advanced AI sent back from the future, and they couldn’t risk changing my fate.

I think you are making that up. EVERY person i have ever asked what skin, was really cool about it.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Why not let players check other players gear. Also allow players to examine other players builds as well.

to prevent elitism or something.

You shouldn’t be allowed to snoop on other people’s gear without the other player’s permission. The way we have it now is fine, you can request to link gear and the player and shift+click in chat tab.

I say no to forced inspection, and you already answered your question in the first sentence!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Redfeather.6401

I think you are making that up. EVERY person i have ever asked what skin, was really cool about it.

There was time when someone walked into the TP area with a ghetto blaster, and when I asked about it they were more than happy to tell me about it and show off it’s groovy tunes. A golden moment that was.

Acnologia.6934

Why not let players check other players gear. Also allow players to examine other players builds as well.

to prevent elitism or something.

You shouldn’t be allowed to snoop on other people’s gear without the other player’s permission. The way we have it now is fine, you can request to link gear and the player and shift+click in chat tab.

I say no to forced inspection, and you already answered your question in the first sentence!

+1

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Repeat. Np for me. Just saying the entire community will see this like a style-theft. Valid not valid doesn’t count. Community opinion is never total rational. If someone see me in LA and then he copies my look ok. Give to him a tool to do that is another thing….
edit: you said: that’s how fashion works. My answer was on the same semplicist line. After you edited it :P

Please don’t talk for me. I would never see a tool that would let a player find out what skins I’m wearing without me knowing as stealing my style or theft of any kind.

So again, please don’t speak for me. Thank you.

Acnologia.6934

:/ who are you?
Edit: the entire community? My bad… a LARGE portion of the community will see this like a forced inspection. Ok? :P

Seera.5916

Part of the “entire community” that you claimed would call the tool style theft.

Posted by: trub.1657

trub.1657

Stop looking at me!!
:)
Seriously tho, depending on where they are parked at..they may just be AFK and don’t see chat.
Or, they are really jerky and don’t want to respond…they are out there in real life too I am afraid.
I usually just ask in whisper first..99% of the time I get a “Thanks!” and the information I wanted- many are flattered you noticed their look among the many others around.

I have Splinter Barrage- I am a Ritualist.
I have a pet- I am a Ranger.
I have Avatar of Balthazar- I am a Dervish.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I didn’t say remove style from the game — I said it’s not plausible to keep style secret. It’s out there in the open for everyone to see, just like RL. Ultimately a good style will be copied.

That being said, how many players have you seen that look identical?

So I don’t believe your concern of style-theft is really valid anyway.

I agree with this. I love looking at how other people have dressed their characters, I even take screenshots of ones I really like. But I don’t copy them.

It might occasionally give me new ideas on how to use a skin, for example if you dye the Luminescent armour in dark reds and greens it counter-acts the blue glow and can create some very interesting effects. I didn’t know that until I saw other players had done it.

I might use ideas like that to inspire looks for my own characters, but I’m never going to actually copy someone. I’d rather make my own style.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Redfeather.6401

Stop looking at me!!
:)
Seriously tho, depending on where they are parked at..they may just be AFK and don’t see chat.
Or, they are really jerky and don’t want to respond…they are out there in real life too I am afraid.
I usually just ask in whisper first..99% of the time I get a “Thanks!” and the information I wanted- many are flattered you noticed their look among the many others around.

If they have goofy hair they always answer. The rest are silent automatons walking the streets posing as one of us. Is why I can only party up with goofy haired toons at this point. My paranoia is real! :O

Acnologia.6934

Part of the “entire community” that you claimed would call the tool style theft.

Edited before reading this. Ad you say “part” and as i said my bad :P

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

If they have goofy hair they always answer. The rest are silent automatons walking the streets posing as one of us. Is why I can only party up with goofy haired toons at this point. My paranoia is real! :O

Super-sayan Charr, ftw!

~EW

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Ime people are more often crueler than kinder to strangers in MMOs. OP, all the positive reasons you give also have negative possibilities/iterations.

Newbies won’t take the time to learn why some builds work synergistically and why some builds won’t… It can stunt a player learning the game, just like for those who ape the meta and never venture outside of it.

-Raid groups can critique their member’s gear/builds better.

Raid groups who know each other also already know each other’s builds and how well the person plays their profession. Raid groups that don’t know each other won’t generally critique another’s build outside of kicking them for not having the correct build.

Same reason I gave above. It doesn’t help a person to be kicked with little/no explanation. It makes one feel unwelcome in the game more often than it motivates them to try harder.

-In WvW, if your dueling someone and he’s just super awesome, you can check his gear and build and maybe learn from it/copy it.

Even more blame and harassment for using cheese builds. Also, this creates a meta-game where someone will examine someone off in the distance, see what their build is, and quickly change theirs to compensate. This also keeps a person from starting a dialogue with their rival asking about their build which could wind up in a new friendship.

~EW

This sums it up pretty good.
People who are already elitists are a salty enough bunch. They don’t need any more. :p

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Seera.5916

That is a better phrasing after reading the edited replies.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I would like this just to avoid asking “what skin is that?” when I see a cool look on a player.

Stats and traits can remain private. A way to “link” a build would be cool (a la GW1). That way I can ask and they can offer if they want. Maybe that will come with the next expansion when we can load/save builds

If you make it possible, groups can require it. I say no.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Redfeather.6401

Super-sayan Charr, ftw!

~EW

Honestly the best hair there is. I have a make over kit beckoning me every day to pop it open and unleash the SS beast on my charr char.

Acnologia.6934

That is a better phrasing after reading the edited replies.

Not english native as you can read ^^ i’ve to struggle in forums sorry of i use straight phrases XD

juno.1840

If you make it possible, groups can require it. I say no.

Groups will do what they will do. They can ask your build today and you can either lie or ignore them — either way you’ll suffer. Having build linking is not going to change that in any way (you could also link a different build so the ‘lie’ scenario is still valid).

Ultimately you can choose to run in those type of groups or not. Having build linking doesn’t change that in any way.

Posted by: trub.1657

trub.1657

Super-sayan Charr, ftw!

~EW

Honestly the best hair there is. I have a make over kit beckoning me every day to pop it open and unleash the SS beast on my charr char.

Much MUCH better than those scary, creepy little wizard Asura freaking me out at the Mystic Toilet!

I have Splinter Barrage- I am a Ritualist.
I have a pet- I am a Ranger.
I have Avatar of Balthazar- I am a Dervish.

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Aaaw, but I love it when people ask me about my Wolfborn Staff :P

NSPride <3

Posted by: decoy.9037

decoy.9037

There is no reason to keep style/look info secret as players can look up skins in a database site, I think adding in a way to view names would be a nice convenience feature.

For gear and build, it should be in but staying optional would likely be the best way to avoid a can of worms. You can already link your gear, but I would love to see a way to link your build and gear set in game. One way I loved this being done was how The Secret World does it, a place in the equipment screen or build screen where you click to share and it gives a chat link that someone can click for a little pop-up window of info.

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

I’m not against having a gear inspect option, maybe even build inspect BUT there should be an option to allow them to be shown or not, so you can opt in or out depending on how you feel about it.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

If someone wants to know what skin I’m sporting, they can screenshot and look in the wardrobe. If they cba to do that, they really don’t need to know.

As to stats or build, it’s no one else’s business.

No thanks.

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

The promotion of elitism is exactly why we shouldn’t have this. If you ever tried to raid in World of Warcraft you’ll know all about that.

The easier it is for people to be kittens, the more of them will be kittens.

Little red Lioka

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

this is something i do not want at all in this fine game . and why i do not play

World of Warcraft at all . no matter if i did raids wvw pvp or pve no way no how

no thanks at all . now if some one likes the skin i got my toon they can take a screen

shot and look it up or they could just ask me. otherwise like i said no thanks no

how no way the day that happens in this fine game i will stop playing . i do not like

that thought as well .

no new system upgrades coming

juno.1840

If someone wants to know what skin I’m sporting, they can screenshot and look in the wardrobe. If they cba to do that, they really don’t need to know.

this is something i do not want at all in this fine game . and why i do not play World of Warcraft at all . no matter if i did raids wvw pvp or pve no way no how no thanks at all . now if some one likes the skin i got my toon they can take a screen shot and look it up or they could just ask me. otherwise like i said no thanks no how no way the day that happens in this fine game i will stop playing . i do not like that thought as well.

Sounds sort of elitist… kinda like “I got mine, don’t even ask me what it is, nah nah na-nah nah”

e·lit·ist – adjective – favoring, advocating, or restricted to an elite.

EDIT: there’s nothing private about style… you wear it for all to see.

(edited by juno.1840)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I say no to involuntary inspections.

If the Devs ever create the ‘Build Saver’, it will probably have a feature that will allow one to share one’s build with others, just as in Guild Wars.

Good luck.

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

In wvw I’d rather people didn’t know my exact build because there are certain synergies I enjoy which I don’t want to become widespread.

On the other hand it might be nice so as not to be confused with dire/TB/perplex and moaned at incorrectly.

However in pve sure – I don’t care if people see my build/gear. Elitist groups will behave as they want anyway and casual groups won’t care.

Posted by: Kiba.9743

Kiba.9743

I hope they never ever implement this. To be honest, I feel the community attitude has gone downhill over time and adding this feature would just add the finishing touch and destroy what little is left of it.

In a game where dodge and block is not a percentage but an actual action by the player, having the “meta” gear sometimes will not save your party even when everyone has what is recommended. I feel this option will only promote harassment, trolling, and bullying.

“Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow”

IndigoSundown.5419

Sounds sort of elitist… kinda like “I got mine, don’t even ask me what it is, nah nah na-nah nah”

So, it’s elitist to think that people should get off their dead kittens and actually do something to get what they want instead of crying to the developer to give them yet another convenience feature so they can get what they want with little to no effort?

Nah. This is just another attempt to inappropriately use a buzz word to try to discredit opposition. There’s no elitism in suggesting someone use tools readily available to everyone.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Examine skins? Yes.
Examine stats/build? No (and before you suggest it, “no” to duels as well)

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: MrTero.9738

MrTero.9738

Examine skins? Yes.
Examine stats/build? No (and before you suggest it, “no” to duels as well)

but what is wrong with duels? all the races being kissy-huggy is bad enough as it is, why not let you and your buds test stuff out while leveling or fight that stranger you see in the world without going through a server broswer. I thought gw2 was all about convenience?

Seera.5916

So, it’s elitist to think that people should get off their dead kittens and actually do something to get what they want instead of crying to the developer to give them yet another convenience feature so they can get what they want with little to no effort?

Nah. This is just another attempt to inappropriately use a buzz word to try to discredit opposition. There’s no elitism in suggesting someone use tools readily available to everyone.

I think it’s elitist to tell someone to look it up themselves when they take the time to actually whisper or message you. Because due to any number of things, they may find the wrong one: there are a number of items in the wardrobe that look similar. And if they’re wanting dye scheme as well, that can be hard as well since dyes look different on different materials.

Whispering someone is an available tool in the game.

Asking the devs to add another tool to the game is a tool that players have. It’s what these forums are for. Giving feedback and suggestions to devs and others who make the decisions on what gets added or not. To say that it’s not elistist to say that players shouldn’t ask for things because it’s not in the game already is absurd.

IndigoSundown.5419

I think it’s elitist to tell someone to look it up themselves when they take the time to actually whisper or message you. Because due to any number of things, they may find the wrong one: there are a number of items in the wardrobe that look similar. And if they’re wanting dye scheme as well, that can be hard as well since dyes look different on different materials.

Whispering someone is an available tool in the game.

Asking the devs to add another tool to the game is a tool that players have. It’s what these forums are for. Giving feedback and suggestions to devs and others who make the decisions on what gets added or not. To say that it’s not elistist to say that players shouldn’t ask for things because it’s not in the game already is absurd.

I never said anything about whispering. You made that up. I offered screenie, then wardrobe as an alternative to a hypothetical inspect.

So, wait. Now it’s elitist to oppose ideas? I never said people shouldn’t ask, only that I do not want the proposed feature.

Posted by: LadySwan.8751

LadySwan.8751

Blahh, I say no to this.

I already have ppl able to follow me with no permission, this would give them the power to now spy on my build/gear/‘style’ from afar with no permission. …I rather like my privacy. And yes I saw a lot of “You wear it for all the public to see” Yea I do, but I also just cannot run around naked can I? And I won’t wear something ‘ugly’ that i don’t find appealing either.

As far as the style thing goes…I’ve had someone ask me once in game bout mine. And then show up the next day completely copying it. Down to character model face color and kitten. LOL rather disappointed with that.(Specially cause I’m an Rper) Yea, Anet owns all the rights. But.. It did take me time to find something I myself thought of as unique and they made it, Un-unique.

I got no problem if people ask up front, I’ll say what It is I’m using and what dyes I’m using as well. And sometimes it can create a friendship, because it Keeps people TALKING to each other. Which I feel is important rather then snooping from afar to get the same result even if it is easier.

Bottom line: It’s invasive. I don’t support and want it in this game , that’s for sure.