"Excessive Messaging" cutoff is ridiculous

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: devessi.3154

devessi.3154

I ran a small Halloween contest for my guild this month. This morning I judged the entries and set about mailing the prizes to the winners. After sending out TWO main prizes and getting a ‘not found’ message for the third, the mails I try and send out are ‘suppressed due to excessive messaging’. At this rate, getting the four main category prizes and the half-dozen or so participation prizes sent out to my guildmates is going to take forever.

Why is it I can’t send off more than two successful mails without getting hit with suppression while during the trial gold spammers could stand in LA and spam their gold-selling ads for hours under the same name, sometimes several times a minute, without being suppressed?

Velai Visala, Necromancer
TC – When Zergs Collide [CERN]

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Why is it I can’t send off more than two successful mails without getting hit with suppression while during the trial gold spammers could stand in LA and spam their gold-selling ads for hours under the same name, sometimes several times a minute, without being suppressed?

Because they vary the message, making each one unique, whereas copy/pasting is quickly flagged as spam.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

This really burns me too. I’m often leading the FGS champ train and trying to help new players with info and waypoints but i’m suppressed so fast it’s ridiculous. It would be nice to TALK to the community…you know…to enhance the COMMUNITY.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

Those restrictions should be lifted once acount is x months old or once it has like 5000 achivement points. I think it would be quite clear at this point that the acount is not a gold seller.

Posted by: devessi.3154

devessi.3154

If I was copy and pasting, I’d understand it better, but I was intentionally varying the message a little in each mail to try and not get suppressed. Grr.

Velai Visala, Necromancer
TC – When Zergs Collide [CERN]

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

gold sellers aren’t the only ones who spam. vary your messages and you’ll never be bothered by suppression again.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Those restrictions should be lifted once acount is x months old or once it has like 5000 achivement points. I think it would be quite clear at this point that the acount is not a gold seller.

It is however usually hacked accounts that are used by gold-sellers.
Thus accounts with 5000 APs would still be used.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: SuLor.2840

SuLor.2840

it is quite ridiculous actually. I can’t even pass out food to my 5 man dungeon party without getting suppressed. I don’t think allowing me to send 4 mails in a row instead of 2 would really hurt.

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

whats the prob ? there is trading in the game use that………oh wait no there isn’t

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

This restriction needs to be lifted for people who have added each other as friends.

My boyfriend and I frequently send each other dyes, foods and other goods and I cannot understand for the life of me why the game thinks it has to protect us both from each other’s messages. Suuuuper annoying.

The other example is when I buy food of the TP before a dungeon run to send to each of my 4 party members. Like… why?

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

It’s all for your own protection! – or something like that, which is what ANet might be thinking.

But I do agree, mailing limitations is preposterous!

PROS:
- You are slowing down gold being traded in the “black market” – assuming, that’s what your objective with the mail restriction is.

CONS:
- Everyone else who genuinely uses the mail system suffers.

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

If I was copy and pasting, I’d understand it better, but I was intentionally varying the message a little in each mail to try and not get suppressed. Grr.

Gotta vary them more. Do a different subject for each message, do a different intro “Hi XXXX!” then “Hello there XXXX!” then “Congratulations XXXX!!!” Change your outtro as well “Thanks – XXXX”, “Regards – XXXX”, “Warm regards – XXXX”. Also pick a random sentence in the body of the message and reword it each time. “You have won XXX, congratulations!” “Hooray, you just won our contest and will receive XXXX!” “OMG you WON!! WOOOO!”

As a guild officer who has had to send many many messages in game you get better and better at getting around the suppression. Even with all of these changes I still sometimes get suppressed, maybe after 7-8 messages. I go and do whatever the Activity is that day and then continue when I’m done.

Honestly it sucks that it requires this effort to send effing messages, but it’s that or send two messages then get stuck. They need to have inter-guild messages that cannot be suppressed. Some kind of mass-guild mailing system.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Gotta vary them more. Do a different subject for each message, do a different intro “Hi XXXX!” then “Hello there XXXX!” then “Congratulations XXXX!!!” Change your outtro as well “Thanks – XXXX”, “Regards – XXXX”, “Warm regards – XXXX”. Also pick a random sentence in the body of the message and reword it each time. “You have won XXX, congratulations!” “Hooray, you just won our contest and will receive XXXX!” “OMG you WON!! WOOOO!”

As a guild officer who has had to send many many messages in game you get better and better at getting around the suppression. Even with all of these changes I still sometimes get suppressed, maybe after 7-8 messages. I go and do whatever the Activity is that day and then continue when I’m done.

Honestly it sucks that it requires this effort to send effing messages, but it’s that or send two messages then get stuck. They need to have inter-guild messages that cannot be suppressed. Some kind of mass-guild mailing system.

This really only goes to show that the current system

1. makes messaging inconvenient to use for everyone (how many % of players are goldsellers?) and
  2. can and will easily be cheated anyways.

I still think that the contact list is a perfectly reasonable indicator for which players I don’t mind getting “spammed” by.

Posted by: Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

It’s so annoying. I was commanding a DPS group in Teq today and got suppressed so quickly it made it almost useless..

There’s only so many ways you can spell Stack, restack, cleanse west, Defend west battery etc etc, especially when in the middle of a zerg killing Teq, fingers and risen mobs.

Guild Leader of DVDF www.dvdf.org.uk since 2005

Posted by: leprekan.7248

leprekan.7248

I agree completely. It is kind of comical being nailed with the “excessive messaging” when the only two things I type in /map are … "Dropping omnom tray on my tag. Currently at Norn. Followed by Most welcome.

I try to give back to the community on Yaks Bend by dropping a tray every hour that I am in that zone. The current system makes that almost impossible if I make the mistake of replying to ANYTHING beyond the location of where I dropped the tray … “your message has been suppressed due to excessive messaging”.

Make the block list unlimited and remove the cap please. Some of us are honestly trying to make GW2 a better place.

A Yak since headstart. [herm]

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Because they vary the message, making each one unique, whereas copy/pasting is quickly flagged as spam.

Funny how this works for gold spammers but not for legit players, I have tried this without success; example: LFG invasion – after 2 times, suppressed, change it to Need group for invasion, still suppressed, wait 15 minutes try again and still suppressed, so, something is very wrong, it’s like they don’t care about the player-base.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: The Master.2893

The Master.2893

Must agree this problem has been a problem… esp if you like to /say ……. alot

THE MASTER HAS SPOKEN!

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

The two places where message suppression has effected me the most:
1) Sending food to party members in dungeons.
2) Being a commander in wvw, I frequently get message suppression for spamming things like Supply up, rally up, stack up.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

Any suppression system that allows gold sellers to easily bypass, but hurts legit players is broken by default.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Funny how this works for gold spammers but not for legit players, I have tried this without success; example: LFG invasion – after 2 times, suppressed, change it to Need group for invasion, still suppressed, wait 15 minutes try again and still suppressed, so, something is very wrong, it’s like they don’t care about the player-base.

Once you’ve hit the point of actually being suppressed, changing the message has no effect. You just have to wait it out. However, if you change your message every time then you won’t get suppressed. That does not help in situations like Teq, though.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: DragonMind.2983

DragonMind.2983

/say ANet do not suppress messages with your current suppression system, plz.
:-P

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Sorry but i shouldn’t have to alter my messages minutely every time. I have played this for over a year. I like the suggestion that suppression get turned off for accounts over a specified number of AP…though 5000 is too high (i played for a year and dont have that quite yet). Maybe like 1500 AP. I assume bots would never even get that high.

Why can’t i say “ty” or ping a way point more than twice? This is really one of the most frustrating things for REAL paying customers to have to deal with.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Spook.5847

Spook.5847

I despise this system.

It’s stupid, and defeats a major reason to run an MMO. Simply having the squelch and report spam tools is sufficient for any concerns.

Posted by: Carize.8532

Carize.8532

What really chafes me about this is that I can be suppressed in such a small time, with spaced out messages that are needed for coordination or information. However, I can also in that same time frame see my chat window blow up and start scrolling wildly with emotes repeated by the same person over & over.

How many times does a character need to cheer in a 10 second window? When I can’t even ping some waypoint in chat on my mes for jp ports with a min and a half cooldown without getting suppressed pretty soon.

Bianca Helios, Ele :: Ganna Shouztu, Ranger :: Selad Mahen, Necro :: Rowan Nightseer, Warr
Melodic Whisper, Thief :: Mephelotic Phantasm, Mes :: Xoboda, Guard :: Plikkik, Engi
Jade Quarry since launch then I started wandering the borderlands of Yak’s Bend

Posted by: logosloki.3958

logosloki.3958

What really chafes me about this is that I can be suppressed in such a small time, with spaced out messages that are needed for coordination or information. However, I can also in that same time frame see my chat window blow up and start scrolling wildly with emotes repeated by the same person over & over.

How many times does a character need to cheer in a 10 second window? When I can’t even ping some waypoint in chat on my mes for jp ports with a min and a half cooldown without getting suppressed pretty soon.

I believe it is because the suppression “feature” is historic. So, if you have received suppressions before it lowers the “ceiling” of the suppression. I’ve been suppressed once, after a rather heavy wvwvw session because I like to just type a quick ty to the people rescuing me from downed or ressurecting me after a zerg v zerg situation where kaineng won (rare).

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

Players aren’t meant to communicate in GW2.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

THIS ^

Since day one people have complained about the problems with the spam filter. This would instantly solve the problem.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I can sort-of understand the blocking of identical messages after a few (not 2, but 4 or 5). But not the blocking of different messages. There was somebody trying to finish off his map, but he was missing one POI. So, I looked on my map and tried to ping him the POI’s that he might have missed (a minute or so between each ping) After 2, I couldn’t say a thing anymore in map chat. Not even a simple text like “I can’t ping POI’s anymore”. I finally could say a sentence again (in which I apologized for not responding anymore…) and then I I had to wait a few more minutes before I could say something again….

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

I understand what ANet is trying to do. I firmly believe that they think they’re clamping down on gold sellers and spam.

Unfortunately, it’s having the effect of being terribly inconvenient (at best) for the rest of the population.

The problem with lifting the restrictions for older accounts or higher AP is that those are the most likely accounts to get hacked and used for spamming/selling.

I would rather see them implement situational lifting of restrictions. What I mean by situational is that there are a few places where chat and mail suppression is a PITA and should be lifted. These would be:

1. Commanders – like them or hate them, most are competent people who need to communicate quickly with a lot of different people. They need to be able to do so without fear of being limited.

2. Group leaders – As someone said, trying to send food or other consumables to everyone in your group will set off the filter. There’s no reason for it.

3. Guild leaders – A guild leader needs to be able to send newsletters, updates, guild calls, whatever, to everyone in the guild. It shouldn’t take 3 days to notify everyone. Not everybody looks at the MoTD every time they log in.

4. Thank yous – Many times while running with a zerg, or in a large fight, people die…and get rezzed. The nice thing to do is say thanks. Any form of thanks should be exempt. That would include but not be limited to: Thanks, Thank you, Thnx, and TY. (embarrassing but true: Yes, I got suppressed for too many thank you’s one day.)

5. Pinging Waypoints – I just don’t get why this is suppressed in the first place.

I am sure there are other specific situations where suppression should be relaxed, but in general, these are the most important to me.

Level 80 Elementalist

lordkrall.7241

THIS ^

Since day one people have complained about the problems with the spam filter. This would instantly solve the problem.

It would however also completely defeat the whole purpose of the filter.
Gold sellers don’t use new accounts. They use old stolen accounts, and thus with a suggestion like this they would be unaffected by the filer.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

It’s really REALLY annoying to be struck dumb when your tring to organise a DE, just because you pinged a couple of WP’s.

And then suddenly it’s like you disconnected……….

Gold sellers seem to get around the filter without any problems.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Even the forum suppression is getting out of hand. Sometimes I can read and post a response within 120 seconds. Forcing me to wait is lame. I’m all for less spam, but good god Anet, let’s ease up on the suppression or allow for some kind of amnesty system whereas if you’ve never been reported as a spammer or gold seller for X period of time that you can post without fear of suppression.

Sure it could be abused by people who target someone and report them as spamming, but as of right now everyone is being treated as a spammer so what the heck is the difference anyway.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It is pretty strict. I pinged a few waypoints during the first phase of a Scarlet invasion and was suppressed. Sort of made it difficult to suggest to the others in the group where to go next.

Im Mudbone.1437

The worst thing about this issue is they appear to not care in the least about what it’s doing to the community by not even letting us now the issue is being looked into even if it were just to placate us.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Half of all commanders are self righteous idiots who just happen to get 100g together to buy the rank. We all know how well that worked in the army’s pre 20th century. There only use is as a guide to figure out where the zerg is currently on the map. I’ve never seen any order anything beyond “attack the gate” or shout out where to go next.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

i always forget to vary my mail and get suppressed for sharing potions in dungeons. punishing good deeds, bah!

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Trying to help people find a champ train, or any kind of organizing in map chat will always get you suppressed.

Trying to mail food and potions to your dungeon group will also get you suppressed.

Varying the message does not appear to have any impact. From my experience it is based exclusively on number of messages in some kind of rolling time window.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Gbok.1039

Gbok.1039

I agree that the filter is too harsh at times. Most times even.
I will say that since the game opened I have only had 2 gold spam messages though.

Some helpful tips:
Most commanders use the community TeamSpeak to command. Not say or team chat.

If you are going to pass out food to your group…

Send 4 to one guy that will then
send 3 to the next guy and so on until they are passed out.

I think the friends list being lifted from the blocker would be a great start to fixing this issue.

Fort AspenwoodSoul Exodus[Soul] Finxx – 80 Ranger

Posted by: lorgarn.1054

lorgarn.1054

I got the message restiction for saying ‘Thanks’ 2 times in /say for being resurected and whispering to someone!

So aperently anyone can flag you without any check. Nice. So you dont want people to use the chat, fine…I wont do any more….

Posted by: vic.7065

vic.7065

agreed. the anti spam system is obviously flawed and needs to be reworked.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I got the message restiction for saying ‘Thanks’ 2 times in /say for being resurected and whispering to someone!

So aperently anyone can flag you without any check. Nice. So you dont want people to use the chat, fine…I wont do any more….

That’s why I say really weird things in chat when I’m periodically reminding people that an event is going on.

“wurm pre [waypoint link]”
“wurm pre: son of wurm pre”
“wurm pre 2: electric boogaloo”
“donde esta wurm pre? wurm pre esta aqui!”

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

No one flagged you. The system automatically suppressed you for “spamming” because you said the same thing twice in a short period of time.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: zakkattakk.6013

zakkattakk.6013

i’ve just logged into GW2 and for some reason its coming up with the message when i haven’t even said anything. So now i can’t speak in public at all because it comes up 100% of the time. I can now only private message people! WHAT USE IS THAT!?!?!

Does anyone have a clue how i can fix this, i would be nice to actually use the features built into the game

Posted by: thebluepill.3041

thebluepill.3041

I agree with all the general sentiments here. This is freaking out of hand. I was testing out a guild recruiting message in my HOME INSTANCE, with NO ONE IN IT, because it is my HOME INSTANCE.

You’re telling me that I can’t talk to myself, ANet? Is that it? I deliberately went to that part of the map, and used the /say command, so that no one would be bothered by my tests. After five or six different messages, testing post length, content, etc, I was capped. After waiting ten minutes (jesus), I got capped AGAIN for trying to test out the message ONE MORE TIME. …Am I ever going to be able to recruit for my guild now?

Sorry, ANet, you’re being way too aggressive with this. Fix it!!

Im Mudbone.1437

The excessive messaging JOKE is driving me insane and close to going postal. -LOL

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

It would however also completely defeat the whole purpose of the filter.
Gold sellers don’t use new accounts. They use old stolen accounts, and thus with a suggestion like this they would be unaffected by the filer.

Currently gold sellers don’t get blocked either. Heck, Anet could block 100% of all the spam messages, if they simply filtered out any sentence that contained the word “PVPbank”. I’m staggered that they haven’t done this yet. Just filter out the name and URL they keep spamming. It’s not like they can easily change their URL every single time Anet updates the filter.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Don’t forget, the suppressor takes Chat links as high level spam it seems…

Copy-pasting from guides with chat links invokes the suppressor faster…

While same done with guide that has no chat links is much less likely of being suppressed…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

(edited by FrostSpectre.4198)

Posted by: Tranc.6780

Tranc.6780

I got suppressed trying to lead a round of Crown Pavilion.

“Say when to burn Boom!”

Me: Everyone burn!
[Message Suppressed]
Me: Grrrrr!

Yeah, the system needs to be smarter. For emails, if the recipient has you on their contact list, if they are in your party, or there are attached consumables, dyes, etc. the message should go through. If, on the other hand, there are a ton of numbers, special characters, etc., in the email, it should be less likely to go through.

lordkrall.7241

Currently gold sellers don’t get blocked either. Heck, Anet could block 100% of all the spam messages, if they simply filtered out any sentence that contained the word “PVPbank”. I’m staggered that they haven’t done this yet. Just filter out the name and URL they keep spamming. It’s not like they can easily change their URL every single time Anet updates the filter.

And that wouldn’t do anything.
Sure it would stop them for 20 minutes until they figure out which word is banned, and then they change their spam and we are back at square one.

It is extremely easy to redirect URLs and such nowadays, and doesn’t take much time or resources.

The only thing it would do would be to take time and resources from ArenaNet for something that won’t really fix anything.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Well maybe a personal filter would be the answer then? If we the players were allowed to filter messages for ourselves, and enter what words we wanted filtered, that would put control completely in our own hands.