"Excessive Messaging" cutoff is ridiculous

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Me and a friend got suppressed yesterday while we were trying to organise a t4/t5 run in Dry Top. Pasting links for next events from guides, then reporting status on events – and here you go, suppressed and can no longer answer the “Events?” question in map chat.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

Those restrictions should be lifted once acount is x months old or once it has like 5000 achivement points. I think it would be quite clear at this point that the acount is not a gold seller.

That’s not a good count on, cause the hack accounts.

Just remove the copy paste restriction UNLESS, that person has been reported as gold seller.
One report and auto add spam restrictions until the account can be checked.

Posted by: Soren.2184

Soren.2184

Please for the love of all things good and holy please get rid of this feature and do the things already suggested. It has been 8 months and this is still a problem how does this make sense to people with logic in their brains.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

how is Garr?
me. thief tagged
Garr?
me. thief tagged
me. Ok two golems and 20+ INC GARR WG [suppressed due to excessive messaging]

augh.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Belenus.9132

Belenus.9132

I have had similar experiences, and one of my pet peeves is when the sales system in the Black Lion refuses to sell an item for much the same reason. They need to fix the software to prevent such things.

Posted by: Sogradde.8016

Sogradde.8016

It is indeed annoying. However, the devs are extremely resilient against feedback so don’t expect it to be fixed within the next five years.

Midnight Mayhem [MM]
Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: HereticSaint.4802

HereticSaint.4802

Restrictions that hinder Gold Sellers at the cost of the ability to interact and socialize as a player are absolutely unacceptable. I recently came back to this game after a long hiatus, only having played a little after it came out. I brought many, many friends back with me and I have to say if there isn’t a resolution I see my friends going right back out the door, many of which are more than willing to pay for things in an otherwise free to play game. If they leave, I’m likely going with them too.

This, should be your number one priority. Things like incredibly limited messages, followed by huge chat restrictions, incredibly limited mail, no trade system to speak of are all crippling issues. These hurt the social aspect of the game and they hurt the very barebone core of cooperation of the game. I struggle trying to get together Frostgorge Sound Champ farming groups, a practice which builds community and friendship between people that may otherwise not meet. I struggle organizing people in PuG Teq groups. Don’t even get me started with the logistics of TT, no wonder people use vent for it, I was honestly curious at first.

Bare minimum; remove quick chat restrictions from active accounts, say a week after they become active. This makes it so hacked accounts can’t immediately be used to peddle gold but otherwise, legitimate players can converse, socialize, etc. Remove mail restriction at the very least from mails between people on eachothers friends list. Consider adding trade.

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

I think that taking off these restrictions for players who have played for over 1 year would solve the problem. Either that, or keep it as an achievement chest reward. Might sound silly, but it fixes 2 issues at once. (Messaging problems, achievement chest rewards)

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

I think that taking off these restrictions for players who have played for over 1 year would solve the problem. Either that, or keep it as an achievement chest reward. Might sound silly, but it fixes 2 issues at once. (Messaging problems, achievement chest rewards)

Removing spam restrictions just because someone has played the game for a year is TERRIBLE IDEA.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Except for the fact that it is quite possible for the gold-sellers to use veteran accounts that have been stolen and thus bypassing the restriction.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

Except for the fact that it is quite possible for the gold-sellers to use veteran accounts that have been stolen and thus bypassing the restriction.

That’s what account recovery is for. Should we really base the changes on the idea that some people might steal some of the older accounts?
And it doesn’t have to work that way neither. Just give veterans bonus 5 or so messages before they get the error.

lordkrall.7241

Not all stolen accounts are from currently active players. In-fact it is much more likely that they use accounts that are quite inactive for such activities since that lessens the risk of the rightful owner reclaiming the account.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I get a bunch of gold seller spam DESPITE THE RESTRICTION, but I can’t mail cupcakes to the other 4 party members.

There has got to be another way.

Simple solution: Spam restriction in mails and whispers is lifted if the person you message has you in their friend list. ANet pls.

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

A lot of people responding here are responding about chat message suppression. That is not what the OP is referring to. Mail message and chat message suppression are two different things.

Sending mail to players who are in your party, in your guild, or who have you on their friends list should not count toward the excessive messaging limit.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

This restriction needs to be lifted for people who have added each other as friends.

I completely agree. Friends, party members and Guild Members should be able to both mail and chat with each other as much as they want. If someone starts spamming you can always kick them.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

how is Garr?
me. thief tagged
Garr?
me. thief tagged
me. Ok two golems and 20+ INC GARR WG [suppressed due to excessive messaging]

augh.

The OP is referring to mail message suppression, not chat suppression.

I’m a WvW commander who tries to communicate everything via in-game chat for players who aren’t on voip. I’ve been playing since the beta, and commanding for almost two years now. I have NEVER been suppressed due to excessive messaging in WvW. If people keep asking the same question because your response isn’t clear or doesn’t look like an answer, spamming the same response is not the solution to the communication problem.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

Posted by: UncrushablePigeon.8760

UncrushablePigeon.8760

Bumped because still relevant, excessive messaging after sending 3 mails, really? Anet please do something about this, it’s annoying.

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Bumped because still relevant, excessive messaging after sending 3 mails, really? Anet please do something about this, it’s annoying.

Annoying? Then its working as intended!

SBI

Posted by: Therodin.2970

Therodin.2970

Really there should be a button you can press if you receive a mail that you did not want to and having someone press that is the only thing that should give you excessive messaging.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Those restrictions should be lifted once acount is x months old or once it has like 5000 achivement points. I think it would be quite clear at this point that the acount is not a gold seller.

It wouldn’t work. Most goldsellers accounts are hacked and could easily be x month old or has 5000 achievement points.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

Anet has been ridiculously negligent about listening to the community when it comes to basic quality of life changes like this and many others. How about some communication Anet? We don’t expect you to agree with us about everything, but I sure wish you’d say no and explain why instead of just remaining silent on so many issues. But, like most QoL changes, better communication is just another request that Anet doesn’t address. I compare it to something like Digital Extremes and how well they communicate about Warframe, both road mapping where they are going and addressing player concerns, and it makes me feel sick to my stomach.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: ajithls.5948

ajithls.5948

I don’t think its ridicilous when it comes to chat itself but it’s really annoying when you get it during mail even if you only sent like 2-3 mails and poff excessive messaging….

“How much grog could a quaggan quaff if a quaggan could quaff grog?”

Posted by: Lostyus.4250

Lostyus.4250

What’s even worse is if you go to send another one while you’re still restricted, it seems to start the timer again.

Posted by: mist.2589

mist.2589

Either allow sending more than 5 items by mail or remove that stupid restriction. Or AT LEAST add timer telling us how long until we can send another email.

I am just trying to send like 25 dyes to my girlfriend and its is really frustrating!

Posted by: skyhawk.5149

skyhawk.5149

Either allow sending more than 5 items by mail or remove that stupid restriction. Or AT LEAST add timer telling us how long until we can send another email.

I am just trying to send like 25 dyes to my girlfriend and its is really frustrating!

In this case you could use the guild bank?

Retired Oceanic Commander of Eredon Terrace

Posted by: Freyah.8912

Freyah.8912

While I understand the reasoning behind the mail and chat suppressions it’s kinda obvious it does not work as intended.
I get waves of gold selling spam, which I report and block.
But if it was a hacked account which then get sorted out and returned to player I have now a person on my block list that have done nothing wrong.

Nice attempt at containing spam, does not work as intended, hurts community instead. Remove and rethink.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Can the restrictions between mutual friends be lifted at least? I mail stuff between my alt accounts and main every day. The suppression means everything takes much longer. I mail then read a book for a few minutes. Mail, read the forum. Mail. Read some more….. It’s ridiculous that there are no exceptions for party members, guildies or friends.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

lordkrall.7241

Can the restrictions between mutual friends be lifted at least? I mail stuff between my alt accounts and main every day. The suppression means everything takes much longer. I mail then read a book for a few minutes. Mail, read the forum. Mail. Read some more….. It’s ridiculous that there are no exceptions for party members, guildies or friends.

And a change like that would make it completely useless, seeing as that would let gold sellers completely bypass the whole restrictions.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Just a flesh wound.3589

And a change like that would make it completely useless, seeing as that would let gold sellers completely bypass the whole restrictions.

The time between email sending items is about 20-30 seconds or so to avoid triggering mail suppression. Unless the gold seller is sending things faster than that, it’s not triggering for him. Presumably a gold seller only sends to one account once, which is 500 gold, and not again. All they need to do is space themselves sending out mail by that much to avoid suppression.

I mail out, switch chars, set up mail, count to 10 slowly and mail, repeat. It’s slower that mail, mail, mail, mail but it’s not going to infringe that much on gold sellers.

It’s an annoyance for me, slows me down and adds a couple of minutes. It’s more a problem sending out stuff for party members.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

lordkrall.7241

Wait, so the whole complaints is about having to wait 20-30 seconds between sending mails..? Really?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Just a flesh wound.3589

Wait, so the whole complaints is about having to wait 20-30 seconds between sending mails..? Really?

/shrug. I know you defend ANet and whatever they do no matter what, so it’s really no point in me discussing it with you. You’re not someone I feel can be persuaded to see the other side of any discussion asking ANet to change, so, no point in me spending the time saying why it’s a problem for me,

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I keep hitting the various limits.

Want to send an item (like a useful potion) to everyone in your party? limit

Want to run an event? limit

Want to sell a bunch of salvaged mats/dropped stuff? limit

Yes, I vary things in all 3 places. It may work for some people but for me.

Posted by: Therodin.2970

Therodin.2970

When im doing a fractal 50 and ask everyone if they want whatever potion makes the most sense with the boss we get, It takes me forever to mail them all out and sometimes i just don’t feel like dealing with the hassle. The only in-game mail i have ever gotten from someone that wasn’t real was once some dude mailed me that my account was compromised and i had to do something to stop it from being deleted. but it obviously said not a guild-wars2 team member on it so i really don’t feel like these stop gold sellers at all. And the excessive messaging in chat is awful too, doing the guild rush for spiders, there is a really helpful teleport spot that most people see to run right by, but i can’t say it in say chat for everyone i see because after 4 or 5 people i get suppressed.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Those restrictions should be lifted once acount is x months old or once it has like 5000 achivement points. I think it would be quite clear at
this point that the acount is not a gold seller.

Unfortunately, that wouldn’t really work, because gold sellers often hack into mature accounts and then use them to advertise.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Really? You actually think it is a good idea?

I run parties and events daily. I kittening HATE this kirttened kittening kitten. It is really kittened up. I do not have to deal with it in other games. Kitten. Kitten. Kitten. Goldsellers and spammers can get around it so it only hinders real players who are gasp actively playing the game.

lordkrall.7241

If goldsellers and spammers can get around it, can’t you get around it as well?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: If goldsellers and spammers can get around it, can’t you get around it as well? – Then you’d be using the same nefarious methods as the goldsellers and spammers. Players shouldn’t have to do that, and would probably be penalized the same as the goldsellers and spammers, if “caught”.
Maybe take off the pale armor and actually offer a legitimate response once in a while?

<edit, punctuation>

(edited by Elden Arnaas.4870)

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

I think that the filtering for in-game email should be more lenient for mail between members of a party who are on each other’s friends list.

Also, a personal storage guild with a small guild storage is not terribly costly. It would require a significant effort to make, but it would also pay off in convenience. People can be added to the guild and given access as needed. Players you game with on a regular basis could jut be kept in the guild.

Neither of these offer much help for a PUG situation, though.

<edit, clarity>

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I send a lot of stuff to my alt accounts.

I don’t really encounter the limits all to often, simply because I know when they’ll hit. So Once I’ve sent two mails, I’ll just tab out or do something else for a couple of minutes before I send anything more.

Similarly, if I’m sending out potions to party members in a fractal or dungeon, the first two people will get their potions instantly. Anybody else who wants one gets told to wait a couple of minutes (which is ok by a lot of people as it gives them a chance to repair and merch if they need it). Otherwise, send 2 to each of the first people you send them to, and ask them to send one of their potions on to the next party member.

It’s easy to get frustrated and impatient, and then try sending something before the block has worn off. This will just reset your block, and make things take even longer. The same applies to selling in bulk on the TP, for example. If you get impatient, you get punished.

When it comes down to it, these sorts of restrictions are there to keep our accounts safer and minimise the impact of gold-selling. It’s there for a reason and there are work-arounds for people with good intentions, you just have to show a little patience.