Expansion wont satisfy me

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

There would still be a slice of bread for each meal.

Now my math is not all that good but as far as I am aware 1 slice of bread is more than 0 turkeys.

In my example the one day represented the lifespan of Guild Wars 2. You’re over-thinking the example. A lot.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

@Carighan The problem is they aren’t releasing 1 zone every X months, A skills every B weeks, etc. We got 9(?) new skills, three new zones, and FotM over 2 years. In that time Guild Wars released 2 new continents, dozens of missions, and hundreds of skills. If ANet were splitting it up and putting it out on a regular basis so that it adds up to that, it would work great. Unfortunately they are not. Living Story works great on paper, but terrible in practice.

So, as you so nicely list what we got over 2 years, would you prefer if you got all of this in two expansions?
One with FotM + new skills, one with 3 new zones? Released one per year.

That was my point. They are working at a certain dev speed. That speed is a constant. It doesn’t matter how you slice the release, the lack of content will always be there, expansions or not. The lack of new stuff is not a result of lack of expansions. It’s a result of a very slow development speed. Withholding everything for 6 months just to release more in a single patch would hardly be helping, it would be the same content/week.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

In my example the one day represented the lifespan of Guild Wars 2. You’re over-thinking the example. A lot.

So you would basically be happy with a few releases (lets say one per year for three years) and then never have any new release again?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: ildjarn.7321

ildjarn.7321

I’ve been playing since betas and saw the free fall after first months of release and steady downhill after that.

Community has been very clear: STOP THE GOD kitten LIVING STORY AND GIVE USE THE GOD kitten EXPANSION PACKS. NO MORE STORY CRAP. GIVE US NEW DUNGEONS, NEW ARENAS. GIVE US SOMETHING NEW.

Stop playing around Anet. If you cant afford data analyser here one tip for free: YOU ARE LOSING, PLAYERS ARE QUITTING.

What is Anets recipe for 2 years of steady downhill? More of the same. More of same stuff that makes people quit in first place. Its like you want to kill this game.

Näin on.

Morsus.5106

So you would basically be happy with a few releases (lets say one per year for three years) and then never have any new release again?

If I said, I’ll give you $100 cash right now, or $1 on every one of your birthdays which would you take? (Let’s assume you live to 85)

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

If I said, I’ll give you $100 cash right now, or $1 on every one of your birthdays which would you take? (Let’s assume you live to 85)

But that would net me less money.
That is not the case with the content.

We would have gotten the same content with the yearly updates, but released in a package rather than spread out over time.

The content wouldn’t magically become bigger/longer/better because they bunched it together.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Morsus.5106

The content wouldn’t magically become bigger/longer/better because they bunched it together.

If the expansion was a Guild Wars styled one there would be more content, but, you are correct, ArenaNet will not put a whole lot of content into an expansion. On paper we hope they would include all of a content, new classes, etc. in the expansion, but in reality all ArenaNet would do is bunch up the Living Story. You are correct on paper, but no one wants to look at a disappointing reality of the ArenaNet dev speed we want to place it all on the hope they would be able to churn out a real expansion.

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

Speed is nothing without design.

If content was designed for lasting power in mind we would be eating through it slower to buy them more time to come up with something else. Silver Wastes grinding had this goal in mind by slowly introducing the armor sets while collecting mordrem organs via RNGesus. As noble of an idea as this is, the enforcement was not provided on a more global scale, only isolated to the open world area of silverwastes(We did get a pvp track so that’s a plus, sPvP is also getting some much needed attention).

Had these patches also offered isolated medium length to long length sPvE content in the framework of current token based explorable instance content (AC, CM, Arah, blah blah blah FoTM), you wouldn’t even see me here trolling constantly, maybe a couple things for WvW, the releases would be a lot more well rounded and whole, personally much more satisfactory.

TLDR: Living story releases need to affect everything and everyone with lasting power as one of its pillars for the general purposes to be successful. They are doing this to some extent, but not globally.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

In the meanwhile Anet has to think of how to keep an expansion work without touching the max level cap. I am really curious how they are going to do this.

IllegalChocolate.6938

In the meanwhile Anet has to think of how to keep an expansion work without touching the max level cap. I am really curious how they are going to do this.

factions, nightfall, and eye of the north did not touch the level cap

aspirine.6852

Oh yeah I know the old team could do it. That team was pure awesome. But there are none of them around anymore

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Anet probably makes more money off of gemstore purchases then they would off of a box sale.
For me, even if they did make an expansion it would be too little too late. Terrible AI, stack and smack, zerker and zerg, conditions, etc…these are fundamental issues that no amount of content can fix.
I would love FoW, UW, Cantha etc but I really really doubt that we will see any of it since the current Anet meta is the old LS gemstore update system with long hiatuses.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

IllegalChocolate.6938

Oh yeah I know the old team could do it. That team was pure awesome. But there are none of them around anymore

Colin Johanson says hi

aspirine.6852

Colin Johanson says hi

Havent seen him in ages, nor mike o brien for instance.

IllegalChocolate.6938

Colin Johanson says hi

They are still here and I know for a fact that Colin reads this stuff himself. Unfortunately that rarely comes across.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Depends on the nature of the expansion. One of the other games I play recently got expanded in just about the worst way possible (for me): a level cap increase, a new tier of gear (buy now!), and a new zone with new missions but with level gaps between the missions that require grinding the new levels at pace not unlike that of a snail on a glacier.

Given anet’s track record over the past 2.5 or so years, this is pretty much what I would expect to see from them if they did do an expansion.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Luna.9640

Luna.9640

Colin Johanson says hi

They are still here and I know for a fact that Colin reads this stuff himself. Unfortunately that rarely comes across.

He may read but he is “corrupted by dragon’s Influence” and now we call him – Colin “Mordem” Johanson.

Hope people can see whats behind the sarcasm.

IllegalChocolate.6938

Colin Johanson says hi

He may read but he is “corrupted by dragon’s Influence” and now we call him – Colin “Mordem” Johanson.

Hope people can see whats behind the sarcasm.

go back to WoW!!!!

*goes back to WoW to check on the garrison

aspirine.6852

Colin Johanson says hi

Well perhaps they can steer it into the right direction. : )
I do hope so, I dont think the LS can save the game. I’m not saying expansions will, but they sure as hell worked for GW1. In fact they worked great.

IllegalChocolate.6938

Colin Johanson says hi

Well perhaps they can steer it into the right direction. : )
I do hope so, I dont think the LS can save the game. I’m not saying expansions will, but they sure as hell worked for GW1. In fact they worked great.

As far as what I’ve seen from season 1 to season 2, there is the intent to not give up. There’s been a lot of positive feedback from Josh Foreman’s jumping puzzle for instance last release so there is “a ray of hope” sort of speak.

My personal stance is that its all in the details. If the Living Story WAS actually able to release the content to the expectations of a lot more people, we probably wouldn’t be talking about this right now. The challenge of course is IF the content is up the expectations of LARGER ARRAYS of people, regardless of delivery method.

( I capitalized those words in hopes of disarming certain apologists from interfering with my statements )

Posted by: Poisonwell.1209

Poisonwell.1209

Guild Wars 1 Release the First expansion after 2 years and 4 months .

Guild Wars Prophecies Release date : April 28, 2005
Guild Wars EOTN expansion Release date : August 28, 2007

If we do not get an expansion in this period , we never will..

IllegalChocolate.6938

Nothing is off the table. Last I recall the question gets completely dodged every kitten time it comes up, last time Colin kept getting asked about Cantha, he always gave a deadpan look. Not saying an expansion WILL come in the literal sense but absolutes need not apply in this manner.

*goes back to WoW

Posted by: enlightened.5396

enlightened.5396

Factions and Nightfall kept me occupied for far longer than that.

History proves you wrong.

Guild Wars 1 as a whole kept me occuped 1/10th of the time Guild Wars 2 has, so far. Does history prove you wrong, too?

I’m not saying an expansion would be bad, but why would it be good? Will the devs magically pull dev-output out of a hat they didn’t have beforehand?

If they can release 1 zone every X months, A skills every B weeks, etc, does it matter whether they package that twice a year or twice a month? Not really now, does it?

No – history proves that the assertion of the OP – that an expansion would please no-one- is wrong.

And the problem with your last sentence is that in the ANet world X and B tend to infinity whilst A tends to zero.

IGN – San Jacinto
Vanishing Legacy (VALE)

Posted by: iSmack.1768

iSmack.1768

Personally, I don’t care about the expansion, I still have a lot to see/explore… Since I only play Necro and it’s my only class (I don’t like having alts), I just want new weapons for my class and a tweak or 2 to break the “Necros are useless in Dungeons” mindset in the community. That’s all I would like from the devs.

I really want to do Dungeons and later Fractals.

Posted by: funkylovemonkey.3097

funkylovemonkey.3097

I would be fine with the Living Story if it were introducing as much content as Factions and Nightfall did. The Living Story falls woefully short. I was an early defender of the Living Story, and I took them at their word when they said they would release an expansion’s worth of content through it. I mean, I’m not going to turn away something free like that. But it just hasn’t netted anything close to what we had before in GW1. I think a lot of people here who want expansions remember the early days of GW1 and wonder why we aren’t getting the same amount and quality of content, and long for an expansion because that was something Anet seemed really good at.

For instance Cantha introduced 33 explorable areas, Nightfall introduced 34. That means in the first two years they introduced 67 new areas.

That averages out as 2.8 areas per month. So if the Living Story started introducing two or three new areas per month, I think I would be satisfied. Some of those areas are smaller, fair enough. If they introduced one new area per month I would be happy as well. Even a new area every two months would be fine. But instead we’ve had three new areas in two years. It’s just not even comparable.

That’s not even looking at the raw numbers of new skills. Yes many were repeats in GW1 (although being able to equip the same skill twice became pretty significant in a lot of builds), but even not counting the repeats, GW2 has added only a tiny fraction of new skills in comparison. Many of them were never used, sure, but a lot were, and every release significantly changed the landscape of combat in Guild Wars. I know my skill bar transformed with every release, adding new skills and building around new elites. To pretend the new skills didn’t make a difference is just wrong. In comparison, none of the new skills released for GW2 have significantly changed the way anyone is playing and certainly hasn’t touched the meta.

And this isn’t even touching the four new professions that were added in those two years. And the scores of missions and side quests and elite areas.

What troubles me is why we aren’t getting the same content. From everything we’ve read, the Anet of GW2 is significantly larger than the company that made GW1. And yet there is far less content. Is GW2 harder to produce content for? Sure there is a higher level of detail in GW2, but Nightfall and Factions both had beautifully designed areas with a lot of carefully considered and planned details, you certainly couldn’t accuse those games of being thrown together or sloppy. So why does it take so much longer? I think some people think that an expansion will light a fire and bring a return to the level of production we used to get in the first game. I’m not as optimistic, this just isn’t the same Anet that made Nightfall and Factions.

Poisonwell.1209

I will tell you what is going to happen.

January 13, finally we finish S2. so everyone go hype about next Season 3. That only will happen after 4-5 Months.

In the meantime they will add: New raids or whatever they call it, gvg, new wvw methods.

Next year we finally know if the living history will be how to deliver new content.

Sorry for my bad english

Posted by: Newbstr.4871

Newbstr.4871

your post made my head hurt. expansion is ALWAYS good

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

He who is not busy growing is busy dying…

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

Isnt it a bit funny that people complain about the Living Story or the game overall due to it having you repeat stuff in order to get what you want, and yet they claim that Factions and Nightfall gave them more to do.

Just going through the story of Faction and Nightfall takes a couple of days at most.

That’s implying that all Factions and Nightfall added was story. Last I checked they each also added playable areas roughly comparable in size to the base game complete with quests and content for said areas, along with new professions and new skills for older professions, as well as elite areas/dungeons and new pvp modes and maps to top it off.

Poisonwell.1209

Let say Anet benefits were 100-150 Million in 2013

Assuming that GW2 has about 1.5M active players and each one buy an expansion for $ 40 dollars. Then we have anet sales for this expansion would be about $ 60 million.

Anet work for 2.5 years for a gain of only 60 million ?

If anet launches expansion will just for love to fans not for business..

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The areas introduced in Factions and Nightfall were relatively small when compared to GW2 maps. All of those maps had little going on in them. Some maps you never had a reason to go to unless trying to get elites or for vanquishing.

The maps in GW1 were also very less complex than those in GW2. They were essentially hallways and rooms with textures that gave the illusion of them being open (very few were an exception). Whereas the majority of GW2 maps are open. GW2 maps also have events which require additional programming and testing.

Using the number of maps released in GW1 is misleading.

Posted by: Scrivs.4501

Scrivs.4501

Assuming that GW2 has about 1.5M active players and each one buy an expansion for $ 40 dollars. Then we have anet sales for this expansion would be about $ 60 million.

Such a rubbish point. None of this is based on facts, just assumptions.
It’s also not that simple. There’s loads of other aspects that have to be considered.

[EU] Desolation
Mesmer – Necromancer – Ranger – Elementalist – Revenant

(edited by Scrivs.4501)

Poisonwell.1209

Such a rubbish point. None of this is based on facts, just assumptions.
It’s also not that simple. There’s loads of other aspects that have to be considered.

Rubbish point or not. LS and gems store made more money that any expansion. That for sure. Take a look on F2P model. Cash shop always win..

Posted by: Kratos.7948

Kratos.7948

ITT: People who never played GW1 comparing GW1 and GW2.

Also, people that are offended by the concept of expansion packs. How about we do a poll instead of generic expansion threads? This way, we will know what direction the community leans towards and it would actually allow lurkers to express their opinions.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Convenient of you to ignore factions and nightfall. Both were released in 2006.

Poisonwell.1209

Im talking about “real expansion”. No campaign.

Poisonwell.1209

Games with expansion, cash shop service and subscription

• Wow
  • Swtor
  • FF14

Is subcription the reason why they have expansion so quickly?

There is a big difference here in GW2.. only gems store. Even a blind can see that.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

January 13, finally we finish S2. so everyone go hype about next Season 3. That only will happen after 4-5 Months.

In the meantime they will add: nothing

Fixed that for you.

The campaigns were also expansions. And they were very real.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

“Expansion wont satisfy anyone”

I completely disagree, Factions, Nightfall and Eye of the North kept me busy for a very long time.

Thing is, if they did release an expansion, would it be up to the standards of quality and quantity of the original guild wars releases.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Poisonwell.1209

Fixed that for you.

Thanks i want to be optimist ^^

Poisonwell.1209

Fixed that for you.

I know im still playing GW1, what im saying is maybe we have and “expansion” at same time in GW2. talking only about “expansion”

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Fixed that for you.

I know im still playing GW1, what im saying is maybe we have and “expansion” at same time in GW2. talking only about “expansion”

Factions and nightfall were both much larger than your regular expansion. And they were released after only a year. They were also considered “real” expansions. They just had the advantage of being standalone at the same time. EotN was pretty small but its still more than what weve got in 2 years in gw2.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Pretty sure his point was EotN was the only expansion, Factions and Nightfall were stand alone games which didn’t require owning the others. Also, EotN only expanded Prophecies. I think his hope would be the same/similar model to the first game.

The fact that Factions and Nightfall could be played as a standalone game doesn’t mean they weren’t expansions. They were both. Saying that they weren’t “true expansions” suggests that they were less than that, where in truth they were far more.
So, GW1 did have three expansions. Two of which could be also played as separate games.

It’s true that the original standalone games Nightfall and Factions were also expansions. They added both skills and character professions to the game as well as a ton of new areas, and even, in the case of Factions, new types of PvP.

No one can say that Factions and Nightfall didn’t expand Guild Wars significantly even if they were also stand alone games.

Oh my god, thank you Vayne. You have no idea how much it drives me crazy when people try to act like Factions and Nightfall weren’t expansions. They were stand-alone, but they still expanded on the original game.

Kratos.7948

Actually, there was already a poll regarding Guild Wars 2 expansion pack:

http://strawpoll.me/2321076/r

The anti-expansion pack people seem to be a very loud minority.

Original reddit post.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Actually, there was already a poll regarding Guild Wars 2 expansion pack:

http://strawpoll.me/2321076/r

The anti-expansion pack people seem to be a very loud minority.

Original reddit post.

Online polls are very unreliable as they are very prone to issues such as sampling bias, sample size, and so on. Any results that either side of the issue present should not be taken as accurate.

I can post a survey in the dungeon forum about whether there should or shouldn’t be more difficult dungeons. If most of the people say yes, does this represent the entire player base?

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

The OP (the bolded part anyway) is a steaming pile of hyperbole. I would be happy with 5% of what he mentioned in an expansion. That 5% would still be more than what the LS has given us.

Posted by: Luna.9640

Luna.9640

The OP (the bolded part anyway) is a steaming pile of hyperbole. I would be happy with 5% of what he mentioned in an expansion. That 5% would still be more than what the LS has given us.

And how much you are willing to pay for 5% of what I’ve listed ? (5% is close to Dry Top+Silverwastes+Aetherblade path+Marionette fight+ maybe the latest fractals)

So how much you pay for that ? (10$ ?)

(edited by Luna.9640)

Kratos.7948

Online polls are very unreliable as they are very prone to issues such as sampling bias, sample size, and so on. Any results that either side of the issue present should not be taken as accurate.

This is true for any survey conducted using any method. However, they all still show the same general trend.
An example using wine.

There’s also no reason to believe that this poll has been ‘bombarded’ by one side. (By this, I mean the 4chan method of manipulating a poll.)

I can post a survey in the dungeon forum about whether there should or shouldn’t be more difficult dungeons. If most of the people say yes, does this represent the entire player base?

Except, this wasn’t a poll conducted on a “give us an expansion pack” or a pro-expansion forum, or any of that kind of bias which you seem to believe exists. It was a poll conducted on a forum of 98,000 subscribers all of whom play Guild Wars 2 in a different style and have very different opinions.

The best way to collect results would be a poll conducted in-game by ArenaNet. A poll that would be IP limited to one vote to prevent users with multiple accounts voting multiple times.

(edited by Kratos.7948)

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

The current 8 dungeons kept me busy for 2 years. Add a couple more of them and some fractals and I’ll be happy for another year. Add 10 of them and I’ll be super happy.

Posted by: Rialen.1524

Rialen.1524

Wrong. I will be completely satisfied if the expansion provides me with the following content (quality content):

1. A comprehensive story line that I can complete start to finish at my own pace.
  2. New end game armors and weapons that are not Gem Store accessible.
  3. Dungeons.
  4. New skills and weapons.
  5. New PvP game mode types.
  6. Guild improvements with the addition of Guild Halls and Alliances.
  7. Additional WvW Maps and improvements.

The Guild Wars fan in me wants to see:

1. Fissure of Woe
  2. Underworld
  3. Cantha
  4. Elona
  5. Much more of Tyria

Yeah Antara summed it up for me. Maybe you won’t be satisfied(@ OP), but it’s a little much to present the point that some phantom majority won’t be.