Play for Free Confirmed [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

I prefer to stomp my feet and hold my breath until I turn blue, but whatever floats your boat.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: AlphaWolf.2709

AlphaWolf.2709

To all the players who have been with the game since Gw1/Gw2 launch and are going on and on about “I’ve been with the game since xyz, I’m so offended, blah blah blah.” :

A. No one forced you to buy the game, you did so because you enjoy it.
B. Offering the original game on a f2p basis opens the door to those who want to try the game but are unsure if the financial investment is worth it. How many times have you bought a game to go, “man I don’t like this game, $50 down the drain.”
C. The accounts have almost no access. They are locked down to a point where they can get the flavor of the game, without disrupting the existing base.
D. Stop acting like GW2/Anet/NCSoft owes you something. At the end of the day, it’s a business. It’s nice when they treat the older players to something nice (the new outfit), but at the end of the day what keeps the game going for US OLDER PLAYERS to KEEP ENJOYING, is new blood/new money.

Posted by: Agent Noun.7350

Agent Noun.7350

PvP should be barred until they reach lvl 30-45. it’s f2p for the core game; they should have to play the core game before being able to branch off same as it is for wvw.

PvP is part of the core game.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Grow the kitten up. F2P will be healthy for the game, there’s absolutely no reason to be against it.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Sandfrie.4169

Sandfrie.4169

Nah. It just means a chance to make new friends.

Posted by: ThreeFeetOfMagic.4529

ThreeFeetOfMagic.4529

No. This is a good thing. It helps them show how good the game is without it ruining the game. This is kittening awesome. Alot more people will be able to test the game out when all that was holding them back from buying it was not being sure if they would like it. There is a risk with these kind of games. You dont like the game? bummer man 50$. Now? They can test it out before buying it. It makes it more appealing.

Posted by: dane.4638

dane.4638

After all that everything I paid for and worked for is just free to everyone else if they want it. My money (which I work for and dont have tons of) means nothing to Arenanet obviously and if I want to play the new content I have to pay the same amount as someone who never supported this franchise who get everything I have paid hundreds of dollars for. I have to pay this outrageous amount for each of my 6 accounts!

So the loads upon loads of releases you got for free mean nothing to you? You got up to 40 completely free content releases (based on when you bought the game) and you still complain?

I didnt complain about what I got in content. Im upset that I have the pay the same ammount as someone who just buys the expansion and get everything I paid for for included which amounts to a large sum where I come from. No worries though I guess my investment has just become basically a ftp account because I wont buy hot for 6 accounts at that price and doubt if Id even pay once the price drops as Id already be so far behind everyone Ive played with this long.

Posted by: Roundabout.1752

Roundabout.1752

No, new people in the game is a good thing.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Thread deleted in 3…2…1

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

My concern is people will find it an easy (and untraceable) form of griefing. Just fill up a server to do whatever then do not do the major event (like a boss), thereby limiting the number of people who can get to it.

Posted by: Aluna Darklady.3165

Aluna Darklady.3165

To all the players who have been with the game since Gw1/Gw2 launch and are going on and on about “I’ve been with the game since xyz, I’m so offended, blah blah blah.” :

A. No one forced you to buy the game, you did so because you enjoy it.
B. Offering the original game on a f2p basis opens the door to those who want to try the game but are unsure if the financial investment is worth it. How many times have you bought a game to go, “man I don’t like this game, $50 down the drain.”
C. The accounts have almost no access. They are locked down to a point where they can get the flavor of the game, without disrupting the existing base.
D. Stop acting like GW2/Anet/NCSoft owes you something. At the end of the day, it’s a business. It’s nice when they treat the older players to something nice (the new outfit), but at the end of the day what keeps the game going for US OLDER PLAYERS to KEEP ENJOYING, is new blood/new money.

WELL SAID!!!

~Mera Darklady~
Legion of Honour [XIII]
Elementalist

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

F2P Confirmed & Accounts DO NOT get daily rewards unless you buy H.O.T. make a account and it tells you.

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Hey, all,

We know you’ll have a lot of questions about GW2 and our opportunity for folks to join the community through the Play for Free initiative. I’ll point you to a comparison chart here: https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157?_ga=1.243374597.1017581385.1401897416

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: IEatCabbage.1907

IEatCabbage.1907

To clear things up, things listed below are restarted towards F2P players

-Unable to use map chat
-Only able to whisper every 30 seconds
-Unable to use mail
-Only can participate WvW at level60
-Unable to use the forums
-Limited storage and bag space
-Limited buys and sells on the auction house
-Fewer character slots

All in all the F2P model for GW2 will increase the number of players while still maintain the game economy and friendly experience

Check Serval’s list https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157?_ga=1.240955781.78332403.1436571105

(edited by IEatCabbage.1907)

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Can’t you at least read the FAQ supplied that shows rather clear that the effect on the economy will be minimal?

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157

I can’t read the faq cause all i get is :

So can someone maybe post the faq here ?

Attachments:

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: sniperman.1738

sniperman.1738

Don’t worry, the economy will be ok. We put a lot of effort into keeping it protected.

Can we not let them into wvw atleast, there’s gonna be to many servers lvl toons to 60 just to spy on other servers, this is not something we WvWers should have to deal with especially since we paid for the game.

One of the Main Commander’s Grims Bane
Darkhaven
PPT Pusher/Fightmander

Posted by: Zev.3407

Zev.3407

30 seconds? thats such a short time.

Should be atleast 5 minutes to start a new conversation.

Normal f2p players can add friends and have no restriction with whispering them as long as they added them too.

but for the gold sellers out there 30 seconds isn’t that bad and will be abused. also they most likely will just start spamming in say chat in the starting areas

(also thank you for not letting them have access to the forums, that was very smart)

Posted by: zxstanyxz.8769

zxstanyxz.8769

definitely not, looking forward to killing them all in the newly larger pvp userbase!

Posted by: Serval.6458

Serval.6458

They can whisper their friends in an unrestricted manner.

(This post made sense before it was merged)

(edited by Serval.6458)

Aluna Darklady.3165

After all that everything I paid for and worked for is just free to everyone else if they want it. My money (which I work for and dont have tons of) means nothing to Arenanet obviously and if I want to play the new content I have to pay the same amount as someone who never supported this franchise who get everything I have paid hundreds of dollars for. I have to pay this outrageous amount for each of my 6 accounts!

So the loads upon loads of releases you got for free mean nothing to you? You got up to 40 completely free content releases (based on when you bought the game) and you still complain?

I didnt complain about what I got in content. Im upset that I have the pay the same ammount as someone who just buys the expansion and get everything I paid for for included which amounts to a large sum where I come from. No worries though I guess my investment has just become basically a ftp account because I wont buy hot for 6 accounts at that price and doubt if Id even pay once the price drops as Id already be so far behind everyone Ive played with this long.

They AREN’T getting everything you paid for. Where are you getting that they get the same that you paid for? Did you actually bother to read what all the restrictions are?

~Mera Darklady~
Legion of Honour [XIII]
Elementalist

Agent Noun.7350

You’re not owed anything. Neither am I. I preordered this game before launch, played in the betas, and I’ve played for three years. ArenaNet doesn’t owe me crap, because I got the game I paid for.

And you still have more than a free account does! Quite a bit more.

Posted by: Serval.6458

Serval.6458

A list.

(This post made sense before it was merged)

(edited by Serval.6458)

maddoctor.2738

They don’t get access to all the releases you had, last I checked LS1 is still unavailable, loads of content you had access to won’t be accessible to them. They also weren’t playing all this time that you were enjoying the game, or your time with the game was so boring that wasn’t worth it?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

My concern is people will find it an easy (and untraceable) form of griefing. Just fill up a server to do whatever then do not do the major event (like a boss), thereby limiting the number of people who can get to it.

You mean filling up a map like Queensdale so players can’t get to SB?

Posted by: Farghost.3015

Farghost.3015

Yeah after reading the account restrictions (that are pretty limiting) I’m actually not too worried.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Feel free to stop playing if you like. You dont need others to help you not log in.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

We seem to be seeing a lot of knee-jerk reactions. I think most of it is because people don’t realise that people who have paid for the game are getting a much better experience overall than those who play for free.

F2P version has huge restrictions. Make a free account yourself if you want to check it out.

If you don’t want to, skim over this: https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157?_ga=1.4197363.1126988846.1440271806

So:

-No you won’t get chat trolls
-You’re very unlikely to get WvW trolls
-We’ll have the same amount of goldsellers as we do currently (most likely)
-Free accounts aren’t going to be farming money and destroying the economy (they are very restricted in what they can exchange with other players)
-Yes, we will see more activity in the maps
-Yes, it is a good way to reel in new customers, who will in turn be adding more money to the game and improve the game’s longjevity

Menadena.7482

Getting to level 10 is trivial. It is only after that that leveling becomes longer.

Posted by: Cowa.3421

Cowa.3421

Hello,

Does f2p accounts are allowed to use option “purchase as gift” in BLTC?
Does normal account can “gifting” f2p account?

Aluna Darklady.3165

Can’t you at least read the FAQ supplied that shows rather clear that the effect on the economy will be minimal?

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157?_ga=1.118815753.1692119884.1440866072

~Mera Darklady~
Legion of Honour [XIII]
Elementalist

Posted by: Farghost.3015

Farghost.3015

spread the word, people are still scurred.

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

After starting conversations with X number of people within Y amount of time, the cooldown should increase.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Is this a typo?

“PvP immediately but must get to rank 20 before using custom and unranked arenas.”

Why would you restrict unranked arenas but allow them into ranked?

Please restrict ranked arenas to at least level 20! I don’t want trolls in ranked please.

maddoctor.2738

What’s the difference between playing for free and playing on an account with a registered serial code?

Character Slots

Bag Slots

Revenant Profession
No

Heart of Thorns Maps & Content
No

Central Tyria (Core) Maps & Content
Starter maps only until character reaches level 10
Lion’s Arch unlocked for each character at level 35

Masteries
No

In-Game Mail
Can only send to mutual friends
Can’t send gold or items

Guild Bank Access
No

Whisper chat
Except for mutual friends, can only whisper in the same map, one new person every 30 seconds

Map chat
No

Squad chat
Unlocked for each character at level 30

Looking For Group
Unlocked for each character at level 30

PvP Chat
Team Chat always available
Chat in PvP Lobby unlocked when the account reaches PvP rank 20
Emotes, Map and Say chat unavailable during matches

WvW
Unlocked account-wide when one character reaches level 60

Daily Login Bonus
No

Gem Store
Items unusable by free accounts (such as glider skin) are unavailable

Currency Exchange
Gems to gold exchange available, gold to gems exchange unavailable.

Trading Post
Can buy and sell items from a selected list.

Forum Posting Access
No

Posted by: Sylaves.8132

Sylaves.8132

Making first GW also f2p? General thoughts ?

Posted by: SkullProX.7083

SkullProX.7083

F2p is healthy for the game? Ahh, thats the worst joke i ever heard)

Posted by: Kjell.8379

Kjell.8379

Don’t worry, the economy will be ok. We put a lot of effort into keeping it protected.

Can we not let them into wvw atleast, there’s gonna be to many servers lvl toons to 60 just to spy on other servers, this is not something we WvWers should have to deal with especially since we paid for the game.

The people who would go through the effort to level a character to 60 in order to spy on people are most likely already fine with switching servers to do so.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

F2P will be great for the game, PvP wait times will be down, dungeon LFG times will be down, maps will be more populated, and the F2P restrictions will protect the economy and we finally have a way to get friends to try GW2 without forcing them or us to buy it first.

Don’t throw the “QQ wah wah veterans are being screwed” stuff out again, because F2P only have access to the core game with a great deal of limitations to protect the paid accounts, and the massive population boost this will bring will benefit almost everyone who does more than just solo play.

Will there be more gold spam? probably, but the pro’s of this move vastly outweigh the cons, and I for one fully support and welcome our new F2P buddies.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

I prefer to stomp my feet and hold my breath until I turn blue, but whatever floats your boat.

Says you.

I rather fall out my back, scream to the heavens till my face turns red while kicking my legs widely at different times, or if someone approaches me.

Posted by: xinkspillx.3914

xinkspillx.3914

Giving f2p accounts log-in rewards is a serious slap in the face. :/
We need an official statement about this that includes all the details.

That’s why THEY DON’T GET THEM.

I posted my comment BEFORE that went live.

Then why rush on the forums to post that? What exactly was the point of your post?

Because there was a blog post that detailed “all” of the restriction and yet made no mention of that?

Why rush to accuse him? What is the point of your post?

Point out where I accused anyone. Please.

And the point of my post was to figure why exactly he, and others, are doomsaying before they know what is even going on.

Ah yeah, sorry that’s my bad then. Didn’t mean to sound like I was doomsaying. I’m down for f2p, I just didn’t feel like login rewards were something that should be part of it and wanted the details that didn’t seem to be forthcoming. Sure, I jumped the gun a little maybe . . but I did wait 15 minutes before I posted. ^.^

But for the record, if you’re trying to bring attention to something general, it’s best not to pinpoint ONE poster.

Posted by: Riranor.6315

Riranor.6315

wow OP is salty.

Crystal Desert Server, one of each classes at 80
Main Mesmer PVE, Necro and Engineer PVP

maddoctor.2738

Is this a typo?

“PvP immediately but must get to rank 20 before using custom and unranked arenas.”

Why would you restrict unranked arenas but allow them into ranked?

Please restrict ranked arenas to at least level 20! I don’t want trolls in ranked please.

Ranked Arenas already require you to be rank 20 before joining even for non-free accounts.

Posted by: zxstanyxz.8769

zxstanyxz.8769

F2p is healthy for the game? Ahh, thats the worst joke i ever heard)

have you seen the pvp community? its been shirking over the past couple of years, an influx of people is exactly what is needed

Posted by: meeflak.9714

meeflak.9714

I’m actually completely ok with this. Hopefully it’s enough to get the population back up and staying =)

All professions lvl 80. x2 elementalist
main Druid ~~Adalyn Del Rayna~~ [SIGH]
[Ehmry Bay]

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

You’re not owed anything. Neither am I. I preordered this game before launch, played in the betas, and I’ve played for three years. ArenaNet doesn’t owe me crap, because I got the game I paid for.

And you still have more than a free account does! Quite a bit more.

Under that exact same logic, he was charged for a free game, and so were you.

Posted by: Simmons.7614

Simmons.7614

Daily Login Bonus
No

Thank god

Posted by: Kormeg.2469

Kormeg.2469

Why though? Isn’t the stigma against free accounts because people don’t want to be spammed by RMTs?

As far as I can tell right now that would be very cumbersome for sellers to continuously do based on the restrictions.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

The free accounts have a list of restrictions. Read more, whine less.

Menadena.7482

This is a HUGE source of the concerns people have. If we could see the list we could identify if it is okay or point out possible flaws that anet can resolve.

[Please do not merge this as it will just get buried in a fast-moving thread and should be its own topic for discussing scenarios and hopefully allay concerns.]

Agent Noun.7350

Let’s pretend that VIDEOGAMES ADVENTURE is released on Steam in 2012 for $60. I buy it, play it, and buy all its DLC. I still play it regularly today because I enjoy it.

In 2015, VIDEOGAMES ADVENTURE is included in a Humble Bundle with all of its DLC included. Someone could pay $1 and get the whole thing, everything I paid for included.

In this scenario, what does the game’s developer owe me?

(The answer is nothing. To insist that you should somehow be compensated for a price drop, even to 0, on a product you bought years ago is absurd. I can understand being upset if you bought the game, say, two months ago at full price and didn’t get the HoT bundle. That would sting. But everyone saying “I’ve played for THREE YEARS this is a SLAP IN THE FACE” is being ridiculous.)