FPS and Ping meter

FPS and Ping meter

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

It would be nice if i didn’t have to play the game with the options window. Why cant we have FPS and Ping on the heads up display. I have to keep the options window open on the left side of my screen.
Or i tab out http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/yv3jd/guide_how_to_see_your_ping/

Why cant we just have it on the HUD?

FPS and Ping meter

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

You can run the game through Steam and use that framerate counter

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

FPS and Ping meter

Monk Tank.5897

I wouldn’t want Steam running in the background, it’s a resource hog.

FPS and Ping meter

Posted by: Geneaux.9547

Geneaux.9547

Just use Rivatuner, works great.

“Man this jungle in the expansion better look so good it gives me flashbacks to Nam.”
Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Knights of Ares [ARES]

FPS and Ping meter

Posted by: Nomad.4301

Nomad.4301

I downloaded a free program called Razer Cortex (Yes the same Razer that makes PC accessories) it not only shows an FPS counter for all games but it also has features that allow you to automatically shut off pointless background programs chewing up CPU/memory when launching any game (and automatically re-enable them after you’re done) which can give you a performance boost while playing.

FPS and Ping meter

Monk Tank.5897

Anet doesn’t allow third party programs, although they twitch with Fraps running.
Why cant we just have a transparent FPS and Ping running on the HUD? Like we had in GW1.

FPS and Ping meter

Posted by: Nomad.4301

Nomad.4301

Steam/Cortex/Rivatuner aren’t third party programs in A-nets definition of them (Read Mods/game enhancements) they apply an overlay (usually just a few small numbers indicating FPS) directly to your computer monitor which shows you the current refresh rate of your monitor.

Hell, ArenaNet themselves openly endorse the Overwolf App for GW2 which also shows fps (and a whole lot more then the others), they even held an app development contest (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-overwolf-guildwars2-app-challenge/) for it, I believe Overwolf even sponsors the GW2 PvP tournaments.

FPS and Ping meter

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Game Booster is another that allows you to see the FPS in all games, and helps you turn off unnecessary background programs.

FPS and Ping meter

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

I believe Overwolf has the in game FPS in the top left hand corner.

Also, same thing is FRAPS that shows the FPS as well. Hope that helps.

FPS and Ping meter

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Its psychological. A “LOT” of games stopped including debug and stat monitors, because people have been using it as weapons against Developers. Often the complaints aren’t unfounded…. but by obscuring the data, or making it hard to reach, it allows them to brush off evidence that would otherwise indicate something about the game’s performance.

Its really double edged, as most people (even in today’s internet) still don’t know the difference between ICMP and Network stack derived Ping measurements. Most people also don’t understand how FPS performance works in an increasingly complicated rendering pipe line. Hell, most people don’t even realize the majority of MMOs are CPU bottle necked, what multi-threading can and “can’t” do for most games, the difference between most API frameworks and renderers, much less how Hardware resources are utilized, or why “$3000 PC” tells knowledgeable people nothing about your system (but does say a lot about the owner).

FPS and Ping meter

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Why do you need to know that all the time? You can’t change it.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

FPS and Ping meter

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

Many video game recorders show fps.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

FPS and Ping meter

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Why do you need to know that all the time? You can’t change it.

Exactly, why, why obsession with FPS and ping, you would only want to see that if the games running badly.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

FPS and Ping meter

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I’m pretty sure that overwolf has the fps shown in the bottom right corner of the screen.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

FPS and Ping meter

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

I wouldn’t want Steam running in the background, it’s a resource hog.

What? It’s not going to eat enough to have any effect on performance.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

FPS and Ping meter

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Above the screen refresh rate (which is what, 60) and what your eyes can see the client FPS means nothing. It is just another bragging right. It is only useful if it is really low or you know the server FPS.

Sure, it is interesting to know what one setup sees as an average over another at the same scene at the same time but it does not tell the whole story when there is nothing to compare as it is apples to oranges. You will see your FPS go down the less things there are to render, which is why boss fights cause most FPSs to plummet (for example, I only see most at 50).

Actually, there is a much simpler was to get the latency, look on whois for anet’s IP block using whois (either the command line or the website). Get a list of your connections (different OSs have different ways). and look for addresses in that range that are not going to a webserver. Do a ping.

In second life there is a developer/advanced option to see the stats like client FPS, , network traffic, buffered traffic, latency, server FPS, requested data to send to the client, ktris, and enough stats to fill your entire RHS of the screen. I doubt most people think about those numbers more than ‘high client FPS= good’ though.