Faith in humanity restored

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

So awhile back, I posted a thread about ways to get a precurser. It wasn’t a QQ or rage thread about TP prices or RNG drop rates, but how the best to get it using a combination of gold farming, and the mystic forge. So after continuing to work on getting my Tooth of Frostfang, by doing dungeons, farming mats, etc. I recieved a PM as a response to that thread. A kind soul has graciously chosen to donate Tooth of Frostfang to me as a gift. As of last night I am a proud and grateful owner of The Tooth of Frostfang!

This is a shout out to you mysterious stranger!! Just wanted to again publicly honor and thank you for such an awesome gift. Thank you again kind and generous person. Such deeds often get repaid in kind many fold over. May you recieve blessings, and peace in whatever you do. Thanks!!!

Attachments:

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

Plot twist: he used a glitch/exploit to get that, now you’re the one getting banned.

Posted by: LIVE.4875

LIVE.4875

Good for you, thanks for sharing with the class.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Plot twist: he used a glitch/exploit to get that, now you’re the one getting banned.

I can so see that happening. Some troll making 30 million eternities and sending them out to everyone in LA and the entire playerbase being banned.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

That’s pretty awesome. Thanks for posting

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Galespark.7835

Galespark.7835

Those reactions…

Anyway, congratulations, and what an exceptional act of kindness on the stranger’s part. I hope he gets lots of good karma for it.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

I can so see that happening. Some troll making 30 million eternities and sending them out to everyone in LA and the entire playerbase being banned.

Would take them quite a while.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Congratulations!

As for me, I wouldn’t have felt proud or felt like I accomplished something if I was just gifted that thing. Like, one of my guildies gives out precursors for a guild event she organises every now and then… but I don’t feel like getting it in such a way would actually make me happy.

Still, congratulations

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

That’s not at all how bans work.

If it were, everyone who bought an Omega Golem Blueprint when they were being duplicated would have been banned, which is like 1/3 of the WvW player base.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

That’s awfully nice! Congratulations!

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

pdavis.8031

Thanks guys!!!

Need a bit more ecto and my legendary will be completed!!

I look at this gift as more of an awesome form of RNG. If it was a random drop, or bought, I would still be as excited. This just makes it so I don’t have to farm for 6 more months, and hope to be blessed by the RNG gods during that time. This is awesome and amazing!!

recognize my command!”

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Some people just genuinely enjoy being generous, pay it forward and do something nice for a stranger at some point (: A guildy gave me The Lover a while back when I said I had decided to start crafting my first legendary and I thanked him countless times. It’s nice to know there are still people out there that get pleasure from making other people happy.
Pass it on and congratulations (: !

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

My faith in humanity hasn’t been restored lately. If OP would send me that Tooth of Frostfang then there would be two of us in the world with restored faith. ^^

Anyway, congrats.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

If you get your faith in humanity restored by getting random handouts of cosmetic/non-essential things that only benefit you personally, then we have very different perspectives on what humanity must accomplish to be worth believing in…

Posted by: SonOfJacob.7396

SonOfJacob.7396

Just something hilarious about the phrase “…30 million eternities…”

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Those reactions…

Anyway, congratulations, and what an exceptional act of kindness on the stranger’s part. I hope he gets lots of good karma for it.

For as much as one of those things cost, I’m sure he got some ‘karma’ already. =P

Still, grats pdavis!

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I was handed The Legend too!

By sir TP Gnashblade… and I grinded till my fingers bleed. T_T

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

pdavis.8031

If you get your faith in humanity restored by getting random handouts of cosmetic/non-essential things that only benefit you personally, then we have very different perspectives on what humanity must accomplish to be worth believing in…

In a world where selfishness, pettiness, and lack of general respect are rampant, even such a small gesture by someone random is MORE then I could have hoped for. Especially on the interent, a place known for trolls, liars, and generally creepy people.
I am very touched, and grateful for even this small gesture. Far too often we forgot just how much of an impact we have on people around us. We forget how someones life can be radically changed in a good way by the simple act of a smile and a nod, or opening a door. I’ve seen it happen, and it is awesome.

However, you see things differently. Thats fine. But please don’t try to rain on my parade. This wasn’t a “look at me!!” but more of a “look at him!! he gave away a precursor!!”

p.s. This was a general statement more than a focus at any one/group of people.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Very nice, pdavis. There’s plenty of decent people in this game and its one of the things I really like about it.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

Although it is just a virtual item after all that doesn’t have any value i guess you can say its the thought that counts. People limit them selves to things that don’t matter but grats sir and enjoy it.

Posted by: Trinibaje.7683

Trinibaje.7683

That’s awesome and I would agree.. faith in humanity restored. One day I too will have Frostfang… not soon, but one day Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: MystikaLsmuRF.7150

MystikaLsmuRF.7150

Congratulations ! It’s very hard to get a legendary for those who don’t really want to farm or prefer the PvP aspect of the game… or get high amount of gold at all actually. I’ve been working on “The Dreamer” for almost two years now and still haven’t been able to complete it, ha ! I’ve dumped so much gold in the mystic forge to attempt saving gold, but it ended up the other way around and I still cannot afford the precursor (which keeps going up in price!), but I do have all the crafting mats finally ! I can’t wait to shoot unicorns, ha! Cheers !

pdavis.8031

Although it is just a virtual item after all that doesn’t have any value i guess you can say its the thought that counts. People limit them selves to things that don’t matter but grats sir and enjoy it.

“Value” is subjective though. “No RL life value” would be more accurate. However, this item to me, holds a real life value of an estimated 1500 hours. So those hours I saved can be better spent either in game doing fun things, now that this goal is almost completed, or out of game with my family and friends. (not saying I am going to quit, or anything, but after completing such a goal it does free up how I spend my time but in game and out)

While its true this is a virtual item, I wouldn’t say it doesn’t matter. What matters to one person, really doesn’t mean much to another. Take sports for example. Some people are REALLY into it. Are very much emotionally, financially, and have time invested into watching/tracking their favorite sports teams. For some, a paticular team is almost a way of life. In the long run, do sports really matter? After all it’s a bunch of people chasing around a ball. The same could be said about almost everything.

I am exicted. I am very grateful to the person who gifted this. Yes the thought and the gesture mean alot to me. Seeing someone, who without strings attached, helped someone achieve a goal is ALWAYS a good thing. Especially when that goal seemed near impossible to achieve.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I’m pretty sure the bitter comments stem from jealousy and cynicism, and you should just ignore them. I think it’s an awesome thing someone did for you, and you have every right to be excited.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

pdavis.8031

I’m pretty sure the bitter comments stem from jealousy and cynicism, and you should just ignore them. I think it’s an awesome thing someone did for you, and you have every right to be excited.

Yeah, thinking the same thing. And thank you!

recognize my command!”

Posted by: RubiBayer

RubiBayer

Content Marketing Manager

Next

I’ll chime in and say congrats. This is typical of the Guild Wars 2 community as a whole from what I see in my daily rounds: Players taking opportunities when they see them to make someone else’s day.

The gestures are all different sizes, and it’s not about being able to attach a monetary value to the item given or hold it up and say that it meets a certain list of standards. The common thread in all of these is a player seeing that they can offer something nice to another, and taking the opportunity to do so with no hesitation or expectation of reward. It’s a great thing that happens constantly in Tyria. Thanks for sharing yours!

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

I wish the game itself was as generous/practical with it’s rewards.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

I’ll chime in and say congrats. This is typical of the Guild Wars 2 community as a whole from what I see in my daily rounds: Players taking opportunities when they see them to make someone else’s day.

The gestures are all different sizes, and it’s not about being able to attach a monetary value to the item given or hold it up and say that it meets a certain list of standards. The common thread in all of these is a player seeing that they can offer something nice to another, and taking the opportunity to do so with no hesitation or expectation of reward. It’s a great thing that happens constantly in Tyria. Thanks for sharing yours!

On that note, I have to agree. Having recently returned to the game I had 188 unid’ed dyes due to the account bound dye changes. I went through them all and sent anything I didn’t have (about 180 dyes I would guess now) to a random person I saw that looked fresh and new. The guy was quite happy.

OP: Congrats. Good to hear someone made your day!

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: Thor.2516

Thor.2516

Those reactions…

Karma was nerf’d hard

Posted by: Wonderly.1324

Wonderly.1324

That’s awesome! I agree, it’s wonderful to meet good people in the world. I’ve been renting out my minis to help others get the achievement and title before the patch, and every time a transaction goes down without someone running off with my minis I’m very happy and thankful for the goodness in the world.

pdavis.8031

@ RubiBayer

Thank you!! I am glad to hear that I am not alone when it comes to stuff like this. One day I’ll be able to return the favor!!

Also ii agree that its not about the monetary value, or a certain list of standards, but people helping people. Its awesome when a community, or a single person, can reachnout and effect somone elses life in a positive way. It gives me warm fuzzies just thinking about it.

Thanks again!!

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Sometimes all people need is a little help. I remember doing the FSG champ train once, and this warrior was talking about how he only needed around 100 more gold to buy his precursor, hence why he was there, and that’s pretty much all he needed to finish. Well I deicide to give him the 100g, couple of weeks pass, and I see him again, but this time with Frostfang. I don’t think he really remembered me because he didn’t say anything. However it’s still nice to help people out.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

Posted by: Teniz.5249

Teniz.5249

Are you serious?! Did you ever play the game ppl get kicked for not being zerk or being the right class or getting kicked for a free slot in fractals LOL

From my playstyle (pvp and pve) I have to say the GW2 community is one of the worst communities.

In pvp you get flamed for killing an enemy either its fair or unfair.
Another example is tequatl if it fails and / or some ppl on the cannons dont do it right you see much toxic too.

So PLEASE don’t try to tell me the community is helpfull or whatever because that ain’t right, I played more than 2 years all kind of content on all kind of servers. Never have seen some helpfull ppl / the rate is kinda 1:20 so for every good / helpfull person there are 20 other ppl flaming and kicking ppl.

Posted by: Sorean.5379

Sorean.5379

Are you serious?! Did you ever play the game ppl get kicked for not being zerk or being the right class or getting kicked for a free slot in fractals LOL

From my playstyle (pvp and pve) I have to say the GW2 community is one of the worst communities.

Another example is tequatl if it fails and / or some ppl on the cannons dont do it right you see much toxic too.

So PLEASE don’t try to tell me the community is helpfull or whatever because that ain’t right, I played more than 2 years all kind of content on all kind of servers. Never have seen some helpfull ppl / the rate is kinda 1:20 so for every good / helpfull person there are 20 other ppl flaming and kicking ppl.

But this is just a small part of the community,I have to say that the most part are nice people.

Even if some people arent nice,GW2 still has one of the best MMORPG communities.
Try to make a mistake in any other MMORPG or,well…League of Legends.
Then you will know what toxic really means

Posted by: Ice.5162

Ice.5162

I wish the game itself was as generous/practical with it’s rewards.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Now that’s a way to make some player’s day. :O Kudos to the awesome stranger who did that.

pdavis.8031

Its much easier to focus on the negative, because its a lot more open. You dont see the PMs or mails sent with gold, or items a struggling player needs. I think ive only seen a couple of threads my entire time on the forums with responses such as this one. Yeah there are trolls out there. I have seen very few in the game myself. But much of time it’s behind the scenes. The people who do such things don’t come on the forums to brag about it. And those on the recieving end, rarely come on the forums to give thanks for it. Its all done through PMs and mail.

Just in this thread ive seen several people who have done something, and came forward. Thats awesome!! These are Tyrias true heros. They arent after glory and honor. They want to see other people do well, and give them a hand. Just last night I had a player in a party in WvW who gave away about 500 ecto. Why? Because he could. Will he ever be publiclly acknowledged? Nope. And probably doesnt want to be.

They are out there, but not in the spot light.The trolls are there too, but most of what they do is to be seen, and recieve some sort of validation from doing so.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Gz Pdavis !

and thanks to the kind soul who donated; that was very nice.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

About a week ago I said something stupid in map chat because I was bored and things were pretty quiet there. A few minutes later I noticed I received mail with 1 gold and a message that said “Thanks for making me laugh”.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Always have some faith in humanity, for the Six are good and reward charity.

. . . have none for the charr, for they have no gods. Rather, for the charr have trust you are not their next enemy.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Sometimes all people need is a little help. I remember doing the FSG champ train once, and this warrior was talking about how he only needed around 100 more gold to buy his precursor, hence why he was there, and that’s pretty much all he needed to finish. Well I deicide to give him the 100g, couple of weeks pass, and I see him again, but this time with Frostfang. I don’t think he really remembered me because he didn’t say anything. However it’s still nice to help people out.

Very generous of you!
However, be mindful of people who prey on the generosity of others. You want those deserving of generosity to be the ones to actually receive it.

One example is of several people that do nothing but waypoint to every zone. Once in each zone they paste the item codes for a legendary into chat with a message saying they are only 8 gold away from making their legendary.

They used to say they were like 80 or 100g away, though they seemed to have discovered they got more “donations” by stating a lower amount. I’ve seen people making 300-600 gold in an hour doing this. They technically aren’t exactly scamming people and they are not directly asking for handouts or anything, but they plant that seed in the mind of generous players to want to help them out. 5 or 6 generous people send them 8 gold each to help them out, meanwhile they’re already in another zone sending their lie into the chat of that zone before heading off to another zone.

It’s another version of those people who would ask for 10 silver for their adept training manual every day for months, despite being level 2 and unable to use the manual and that the manual didn’t cost 10 silver.

I marked many of these vultures on my contact list as there are several that have been doing this for months. I track them so that if they come to the zone I am in and paste their false message, I can warn people in the zone of their actual intentions. I’ve stopped many from sending them gold who were about to without even thinking twice about it.

Reporting this player for scamming apparently doesn’t do much since I guess they’re technically not. ANet seems to see it this way since the same players are still doing this every day for months. :\

Just, be kind and generous, but be mindful that there are those looking to take advantage of such generosity…sadly.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

pdavis.8031

Always have some faith in humanity, for the Six are good and reward charity.

. . . have none for the charr, for they have no gods. Rather, for the charr have trust you are not their next enemy.

Amen!

Didnt the charr have gods at one point? Or was it the titans the followed?

recognize my command!”

pdavis.8031

Very generous of you!
However, be mindful of people who prey on the generosity of others. You want those deserving of generosity to be the ones to actually receive it.

One example is of several people that do nothing but waypoint to every zone. Once in each zone they paste the item codes for a legendary into chat with a message saying they are only 8 gold away form making their legendary.

I’ve seen people making 300-600 gold in an hour doing this. They technically aren’t exactly scamming people and they are not directly asking for handouts or anything, but they plant that seed in the mind of generous players to want to help them out. 5 or 6 generous people send them 8 gold each to help them out, meanwhile they’re already in another zone sending their lie into the chat of that zone before heading off to another zone.

It’s another version of those people who would ask for 10 silver for their adept training manual every day for months, despite being level 2 and unable to use the manual and that the manual didn’t cost 10 silver.

I marked many of these vultures on my contact list as there are several that have been doing this for months. I track them so that if they come to the zone I am in and paste their false message, I can warn people in the zone of their actual intentions. I’ve stopped many from sending them gold who were about to without even thinking twice about it.

Reporting this player for scamming apparently doesn’t do much since I guess they’re technically not. ANet seems to see it this way since the same players are still doing this every day for months. :\

Just, be kind and generous, but be mindful that there are those looking to take advantage of such generosity…sadly.

Good point.

I also dont want some to see this as such a cry. I only want to celebrate my good fortune and honor those that do give generously, or give at all. Im not asking for anything, but want to shine the light on those who do want to give. Let this be their 15 minutes of fame. They know who they are, and that is enough..

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Eight O Eight.8257

Eight O Eight.8257

Here’s some more “FiH”….I’m really surprised that no one yet has trolled this by claiming to be the ‘secret stranger’ and tossing out an obligatory “You’re welcome”.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Good point.

I also dont want some to see this as such a cry. I only want to celebrate my good fortune and honor those that do give generously, or give at all. Im not asking for anything, but want to shine the light on those who do want to give. Let this be their 15 minutes of fame. They know who they are, and that is enough..

I apologize if my statement seemed to make any sort of a parallel to you and your fortuitous situation. I meant my comment to be taken only as an informative warning to others who enjoy seizing an opportunity to help others, for them to be mindful that there are some out there that know there is kindness left in the world and that they will take advantage of it to their own benefit.

I applaud the gifter for their generosity and you for making such a generous act known to others. It is inspiring and refreshing to see one being so generous and I am very happy for you being the receiver of such a nice gift.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

pdavis.8031

Good point.

I apologize if my statement seemed to make any sort of a parallel to you and your fortuitous situation. I meant my comment to be taken only as an informative warning to others who enjoy seizing an opportunity to help others, for them to be mindful that there are some out there that know there is kindness left in the world and that they will take advantage of it to their own benefit.

I applaud the gifter for their generosity and you for making such a generous act known to others. It is inspiring and refreshing to see one being so generous and I am very happy for you being the receiver of such a nice gift.

Oh no offense taken. I understood what you were trying to say. I just wanted to add on top of that, that some people, in light of what you were saying, might take my post as some sort of scheme to do just that.

recognize my command!”

pdavis.8031

Update:

I am on cloud 9 right now!! Was just gifted the ecto I needed to finish it. Thank you all so very much!!!! I cannot express just how I am feeling right now. As eloquent as I know I can be, I am totally speechless! For those who are feeling this game is full of jerks, trolls, and elitists: Fear not!! There ARE good people out there!

Thank you so so so so so so so so so so much!!!!!

Attachments:

recognize my command!”

pdavis.8031

:D Thank you all!! This is incredible!!!

Attachments:

recognize my command!”

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Good work

Now do it all again!

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

pdavis.8031

Good work

Now do it all again!

LOL Right!?

No it’s time to take a break from grinding and gathering for a bit. Going to focus on WvW for now

recognize my command!”