Farewell GW2

Farewell GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I agree with some of his points, but please for the love of all that’s sane, please don’t add more professions.

It’s not time.

Professions that have skills and mechanics that are so rigid I’ve seen console games with deeper costumization.

Professions are so broken mechanically (who the heck would use adrenaline skills in PvE?!) that solving the problem would be like creating a new class.

There’s so many bugs that ‘will this actually work’ needs to be a consideration when you engage an enemy.

It’s not time.

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

I figured it was high time I took the time to explain why I am no longer playing GW2, and I seriously don’t expect that I will be back anytime soon.
It’s the responsible thing to do I think, since most players that leave simple go silent without saying anything. So take this for what little it’s worth.

The responsible thing to do is to not break forum rules, which you’re doing by making a leaving post.

1. The only people who care why you’re leaving are people who already agree with you, some of which have left. Many of us like the game pretty much the way it is. Not that it doesn’t have room for improvement, but my guild, at least, is hopping and everyone seems quite happy with the game.

2. Most players simply go silent. That’s true. This is people who like the game and people who hate the game. Making the assumption that most of the silent people agree with or would support your points is an erroneous assumption. Some people will and some people won’t, just like the people who answer this thread.

Use of the word responsible means that you see what you believe to be true as objectively right, when it’s high subjective. Even in this thread, many people disagree with what you’ve said.

If you don’t like a game, leave the game. Making a post like this is not only against the rules, but it’s completely 100% pointless. Unless you’re saying something totally unique that no one has complained about before, which isn’t the case.

Except the reason for the forum rules is Not about a healthy discussion of differing opinions. It’s simply a rule so that people do not realize How discontented other players are.

basically the reason the rule is there is so other players can keep hiding their head In the sand.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Farewell GW2

Xae Isareth.1364

I figured it was high time I took the time to explain why I am no longer playing GW2, and I seriously don’t expect that I will be back anytime soon.
It’s the responsible thing to do I think, since most players that leave simple go silent without saying anything. So take this for what little it’s worth.

The responsible thing to do is to not break forum rules, which you’re doing by making a leaving post.

1. The only people who care why you’re leaving are people who already agree with you, some of which have left. Many of us like the game pretty much the way it is. Not that it doesn’t have room for improvement, but my guild, at least, is hopping and everyone seems quite happy with the game.

2. Most players simply go silent. That’s true. This is people who like the game and people who hate the game. Making the assumption that most of the silent people agree with or would support your points is an erroneous assumption. Some people will and some people won’t, just like the people who answer this thread.

Use of the word responsible means that you see what you believe to be true as objectively right, when it’s high subjective. Even in this thread, many people disagree with what you’ve said.

If you don’t like a game, leave the game. Making a post like this is not only against the rules, but it’s completely 100% pointless. Unless you’re saying something totally unique that no one has complained about before, which isn’t the case.

Except the reason for the forum rules is Not about a healthy discussion of differing opinions. It’s simply a rule so that people do not realize How discontented other players are.

basically the reason the rule is there is so other players can keep hiding their head In the sand.

Well, just to be the devil’s advocate. Have you considered maybe a lot of players don’t want to have their head out of the sand?

If you’re enjoying the game, and you come in the forums to talk about it, you probably don’t want to see a sea of threads telling you your game sucks. You don’t want to know the ‘truth’ because unlike finding out your mom and dad has divorced, the game being good or bad doesn’t really have any wider implications on your life if you’re enjoying the game, so why would you want your head out of the sand?

The idea which developers usually operate on is have all the quitting threads sent to them directly through questionnaires, so they can read them without having the forums be covered in them.

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Well, just to be the devil’s advocate. Have you considered maybe a lot of players don’t want to have their head out of the sand?

If you’re enjoying the game, and you come in the forums to talk about it, you probably don’t want to see a sea of threads telling you your game sucks. You don’t want to know the ‘truth’ because unlike finding out your mom and dad has divorced, the game being good or bad doesn’t really have any wider implications on your life if you’re enjoying the game, so why would you want your head out of the sand?

The idea which developers usually operate on is have all the quitting threads sent to them directly through questionnaires, so they can read them without having the forums be covered in them.

Or this is a forum owned by the company and you are allowed access to it? They own it, they make the rules, they enforce those rules. Lots of sites where the truth is out there.

Farewell GW2

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

One of the chief problems with GW1 was that they continually added skills, it was a balancing nightmare and they were doing MASSIVE balance patches 5 years into the game

And here we are several years later and the new game still isn’t balanced.

Kinda blows that theory out of the water don’t it LOL a few new traits only new healing skills and the game still isn’t balanced so maybe new skills might actually make some of these classes closer to what they should be compared to others.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Yoh.8469

Yoh.8469

Okaaaaay? What rule are you banging on about?
I’ve never heard of it, and I can’t find it for the life of me.
Link it.

(Not that it makes much of a difference at this point, evidently this thread has produced productive discussion, much more so then I had originality intended.)

I find it highly suspect of such a rule existing, it sounds banana pants.

Farewell GW2

Posted by: knightblaster.7420

knightblaster.7420

The problem is you guys never saw how GREAT GW2 could have been. Many of us GW1 players did. We saw a vision of it. But it never came to pass. That’s why it is so sad for some of us.

Thing is, they were going for a much more casual game with this one than GW1. GW1 was not a very casual game at all — it was a high skill cap game. That’s fine, there should be high skill cap games. The disconnect comes from the fact that they changed that up with GW2 and created a modest skill cap casual game (it’s very clearly the most casual-friendly, low skill cap MMO that’s ever been made). That was bound to rankle the high skill cap fans of GW1. It was like a search for a different audience. I do think this was somewhat clear before the game was released, however — it’s still understandable that the hardcore, high skill cap GW1 players would be disappointed.

WildStar is the new high skill cap MMO, really.

Farewell GW2

Xae Isareth.1364

The problem is you guys never saw how GREAT GW2 could have been. Many of us GW1 players did. We saw a vision of it. But it never came to pass. That’s why it is so sad for some of us.

Thing is, they were going for a much more casual game with this one than GW1. GW1 was not a very casual game at all — it was a high skill cap game. That’s fine, there should be high skill cap games. The disconnect comes from the fact that they changed that up with GW2 and created a modest skill cap casual game (it’s very clearly the most casual-friendly, low skill cap MMO that’s ever been made). That was bound to rankle the high skill cap fans of GW1. It was like a search for a different audience. I do think this was somewhat clear before the game was released, however — it’s still understandable that the hardcore, high skill cap GW1 players would be disappointed.

WildStar is the new high skill cap MMO, really.

Personally, I think FFXIV has a higher skill-cap than Wildstar just looking at some of the encounters, but anyways.

GW2 wasn’t designed to be more casual, it was designed to be more accessible for people who havn’t played MMOs before. Take the lack of complex encounters.

What a hard encounter in a MMO consists of is a page-long list of complex mechanics your party had to overcome, and often they are anything but intuitive. Console and single player games rarely have many encounters with more than say, 3 or 4 different mechanics, and what hard there mostly consists of is the need for fast reflexes and precise actions in an unforgiving encounter.

You can see some of those ideas in GW2. For most fights, all the mechanics are pretty obvious as you progress the fight, and they aren’t very hard to understand. But you got fights like Lupi which requires fast reaction times and precise execution of skills.

Farewell GW2

Posted by: JoeytheHutt.1742

JoeytheHutt.1742

I dont understand why ppl have a problem with goodbye posts. I understand why Anet dont want them, but other players?
In RL I always tell why when Im ending a contract or an agreement, its an honest thing to do. Its decent. Stop answering the phone or not respond to mails and basically try to just disappear is not.
Of course, mailing Anet to explain why could work too, but then again, this forum IS supposed to be the link between Anet and the players, as “they read everything and listen to the community”.
Besides, if you have lots of friends in game, it is easier to write a post on a forum saying why you dont play anymore, than to talk to each and every one. I have done that a couple of times.
But maybe thats just me.

Farewell GW2

Xae Isareth.1364

I dont understand why ppl have a problem with goodbye posts. I understand why Anet dont want them, but other players?
In RL I always tell why when Im ending a contract or an agreement, its an honest thing to do. Its decent. Stop answering the phone or not respond to mails and basically try to just disappear is not.
Of course, mailing Anet to explain why could work too, but then again, this forum IS supposed to be the link between Anet and the players, as “they read everything and listen to the community”.
Besides, if you have lots of friends in game, it is easier to write a post on a forum saying why you dont play anymore, than to talk to each and every one. I have done that a couple of times.
But maybe thats just me.

The reason is that some people don’t like seeing them. I would imagine it can be like finding a really good show on television, then you’re all like ‘dude, have you see this show, it was awesome!’ to your friend (if it was the 90s and people still spoke like that), and then he’s all like ‘what the heck are you talking about, that show sucks kitten .’

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I played Guild Wars 1 and I daresay I probably have more hours playing it than you do. But not everyone thinks that just because content is hard and challenging that a game is good or better. People play different games for different reasons. Life is challenging enough where I don’t need a game to prove my mettle.

I have over 15,000 hours in Guild Wars 1. I have 37 characters and every single one of them has finished both Factions and EotN. I’ve beaten every dungeon in the game in hard mode, except the elite areas (I did some of them), but I didn’t enjoy it. It wasn’t fun for me. It didn’t make the game better.

And there were tons of things lacking in Guild Wars 1 that I find better in Guild Wars 2 (like the lack of pathing, the non-linear nature of the game, and the ability to jump).

Don’t talk for all Guild Wars 1 players. Even Anet said most Guild Wars 1 players never finished the hard content. It’s not why most people play multiplayer games.

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Okaaaaay? What rule are you banging on about?
I’ve never heard of it, and I can’t find it for the life of me.
Link it.

(Not that it makes much of a difference at this point, evidently this thread has produced productive discussion, much more so then I had originality intended.)

I find it highly suspect of such a rule existing, it sounds banana pants.

Ditto, just reviewed the code of conduct
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/rules
and can’t find anything that clearly forbids a goodbye thread. There are many specific rules that will bring down the hammer, but saying bye bye doesn’t appear to be one of them. Some behaviour/comments within the thread may require a mods guidance, but not the theme of the thread (in this instance).

Farewell GW2

Nerelith.7360

If you don’t wish to pull your head out of the sand…do not click On forum titles that say " why I quit." or " Goodbye I’m done" ??

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Farewell GW2

Posted by: KraunK.2319

KraunK.2319

This game is born to go in the wrong direction.
1.) Endgame based only on appearance is just a dead game since the start.
Endgame is just when you hit lv80. So after 1 week. After 1 week you are going to farm like an idiot (since the release we have seen an exponential decrease of the incoming gold, you have to spend hours and hours in braindead instance to earn the “right” rate of gold/hour to satisfy the addictive shines, otherwise throw out you Credit Card) If you just like to chill, playing here and there, this game is not for you. We should earn gold just because we play this game, not doing determinate stuff. You can’t earn gold doing what you like, usually you have to do what you don’t like to earn gold. Think about this.
2.) As Yoh said, Contents are ridiculous:
It takes 1 or 2 hour to complete the temporary LS
All the instances take no effort to complete, with bad rewards.
3.) As well there is no real cooperation between players.

So, what are we playing for?

I’m the Italian in Algeri

(edited by KraunK.2319)

Farewell GW2

Nerelith.7360

I think there should be a place for " I am leaving" on the forums. 1. it is easier than having 40 different conversations with friends, and then One with your Guild or guilds… just Point them to the forums.

the 2. There is a difference between. " Anet, I think you’ve lost your way, and I am now playing your game less… and not spending anymore cash in the gem store til I feel you have some idea what you are about."

and …

" Dudes, I gave you 2 years, I am done…gonna play “Hello, Kitty.”"

And I do feel the devs can learn from reading a well expressed " Goodbye."

The big problem I see is, that people are putting the cart before the horse.

The OP was polite, I believe he expressed his reasons thoughtfully, and in a way that was Intended to point out what he felt were serious flaws according to his experience.

The fanboiz resorted to " Dude, can I haz your stuff?" But they are not the ones called Combative.

His well expressed Post was greeted with hostility, ridicule, and disparagement. Yet it is he, that is called combative?

He is responsible for his own words, he is not responsible for how others react to his words. The people that were combative were the people that resorted to the above behavior.

I think that Anet doesn’t want these threads, even if there is No rule against them, and claims." Goodbye Threads are not allowed." because the " dude can I have your stuff?" Is seen as " well, that is of course a natural reaction, it’s not their fault…it’s the fault of the OP , he brought it on himself"

and…

" We really do not want this out there, becoming a subject for discussion…" How badly Gw2 is sucking,…sucking so badly, Long time players, and fans…actual supporters that have been here for 8 or 9 years are saying.." enough…dudes, stick a fork in me, I’m done.“.”

More the pity. When you leave other businesses usually they ask you why. Sometimes they learn. Just letting someone walk away without as much as a " why are you leaving?" smacks of " well… don’t let the door hit ya."

Lastly… an email to Anet can be ignored. A thread on the forums…usually…can’t.

PS: I used to be One that responded to these with " Dude, can I have your stuff?" and I was Infracted for it, rightfully so. It’s Not polite, friendly, or helpful.

(edited by Nerelith.7360)

Farewell GW2

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Quite impressive how a game that was dead from the start is still going strong about two year after release.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Farewell GW2

Nerelith.7360

Endgame is just when you hit lv80. So after 1 week. After 1 week you are going to farm like an idiot (since the release we have seen an exponential decrease of the incoming gold, you have to spend hours and hours in braindead instance to earn the “right” rate of gold/hour to satisfy the addictive shines, otherwise throw out you Credit Card) If you just like to chill, playing here and there, this game is not for you. We should earn gold just because we play this game, not doing determinate stuff. You can’t earn gold doing what you like, usually you have to do what you don’t like to earn gold. Think about this.

I started asking myself the same thing…a dangerous thing. I am also finding Myself playing this less.

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’d wager a whole lot more people will play an end game based solely on appearance than play an end game based around challenging content. Stuff devs have said backs that up.

If instances are easy why should you get better rewards?

There’s plenty of cooperation between players, you’re just playing with the wrong players.

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Rosenakahara.8512

Rosenakahara.8512

I really don’t want this thread to get locked so far there has been a ton of actual constructive discussion……..im slightly proud of you gw2 foums

No! There’s no other Ayanami but you!
That’s why I will save you!

(edited by Moderator)

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

Quite impressive how a game that was dead from the start is still going strong about two year after release.

Every MMO is dying, according to it’s forums. WoW has been dying for the last 9 years or so.

Just like every unreleased MMO is going to be “OMG TEH BEST”. Until it’s released. And it’s forums start proclaiming that it, too, is dying.

“I’m leaving” threads are cries for attention. Nothing more.

Difference is I have years of memories from WoW, while the GW2 experience has been entirely forgettable.

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

See you in a month or so because GW2 is made to be put down at any time and to be picked back up as if you did not quit at all. That and no one truly quits a B2P game until they destroy or give away there gw2 code. So the “I quit” post more of an pointless thread that more on the lines of a “kid” holding there breath until they get there way.

Added note to go though and point out the flaws of something is not a means of quitting its a means of trying to make a game better this is comply contrarily to the ideal of quitting. If you where truly mindful of quitting your post would be about one sentence long and nothing more or you would simply not post at all.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

(edited by Jski.6180)

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

You’ve put forward some valid points, OP.

GW > GW2 all the way. Wish they ’d just made GW2 as “GW with upgraded engine and mechanics”. Would prolly be among best MMOs in history, like Lineage 2, WoW and the very special GW.

I’ll see you in another game, I guess! Enjoy the summertime now. Hot weather, beaches, sand, kittentails, ladies, party nights and so on!^^

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Farewell GW2

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

I played Guild Wars 1 and I daresay I probably have more hours playing it than you do. But not everyone thinks that just because content is hard and challenging that a game is good or better. People play different games for different reasons. Life is challenging enough where I don’t need a game to prove my mettle.

I have over 15,000 hours in Guild Wars 1. I have 37 characters and every single one of them has finished both Factions and EotN. I’ve beaten every dungeon in the game in hard mode, except the elite areas (I did some of them), but I didn’t enjoy it. It wasn’t fun for me. It didn’t make the game better.

And there were tons of things lacking in Guild Wars 1 that I find better in Guild Wars 2 (like the lack of pathing, the non-linear nature of the game, and the ability to jump).

Don’t talk for all Guild Wars 1 players. Even Anet said most Guild Wars 1 players never finished the hard content. It’s not why most people play multiplayer games.

Yes it is true that I couldn’t speak for the whole GW1 crowd. It is also true that harder content doesn’t mean fun-er content. In fact, I don’t necessary disagree with the casual friendly design theory.

However I do think in terms of game play, skills and skill bar design, GW2 went over the line.

We have heard many players saying “auto attack 1 and win”. Now I don’t believe that literally. Of course it isn’t that simple. Neither do I actually think GW2 is like Mario, who just jump, jump and jump. But I can relate to the message behind that.

I think it is important for Anet to find the balance somewhere in the middle. I understand that they want to make GW2 more casual friendly. However casual friendly games can still be made to have a decently high skill-ceiling.

Without a high skill-ceiling, many players will reach that skill-ceiling very rapidly. And once they get there, they will not linger unless there is a constant supply of new contents.

With a decently high skill-ceiling, players will stay to improve themselves.

Self-improvement and self-realization is very important in keeping the players playing

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

(edited by CHIPS.6018)

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

Until someone actually post a video deleting all their characters and legendaries, I don’t believe these threads.

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP.

Core game-play in Guild Wars 2, aside from WvW which has some redeeming qualities, is absolutely weak.

And it’s a shame, because at the core the game is good. But it’s like ANet has no concept of what to do with it, no comprehensive vision or understanding of what they hope to achieve. The core game-play is simply not evolving. And that’s just not good enough.

When I think back at my time playing WoW or SWTOR, I have a number of great memories to draw from. Memories of great moments, of great successes or embarrassing failures.

But in Guild Wars 2 I have no such thing. Even after 15.000 achievement points, 3 Legendaries and completing pretty much all of the content I find the entire experience to be very forgettable.

As said, WvW is the only exception to this and it’s embarrassing how neglected it has been.

Sadly I Must concur about lack of memorable gw2 moments. I remember my first day arriving at " The Outlands" at " a game which shall not be named. " I remember my first train ride from Ironforge,… Going before that I remember being paid enough for a hew Naboo mansion as an image designer in Star wars galaxies. I remember Playing My Storms Controller against kittens on City of Heroes.. when it was Pay a monthly to play. I remember getting eaten by Grimfeather in North karana druid rings as I waited for someone that offered me 50 Platinum for a TP out of the place… Losing my level.. and the ability to do group TP’s to the karanas.

I think back, and what do all these games have in common? All of then required a Monthly. The ONLY game I remember a lot of that had no Monthly… was Guild Wars.

I used to say GW1. As opposed to GW2. But lately as i look back, aside from the names of the classes… the names of some skills, I see very little to connect Guild Wars to Guild wars 2. It’s almost as if the two games were made by different people with different philosophies.

Guild wars sold you Boxes… then sold you expansions… each which was a complete game…. Guild wars 2 has…Living Story. Not an expansion…. But it DOES have RMT… so there’s that.

If you love RMT then Guild wars 2 is an awesome game….. If you love RMT.

Seamless maps also help a lot for memories. At least I do remember from multiple mmo’s when I went into a new map for the first time.

Farewell GW2

Posted by: SirQuester.5476

SirQuester.5476

Everyone seems to be missing the underlying reason behind this post and other well thought out complaint posts.

People don’t want to quit playing GW2.

They post in hopes of changing the games direction/adding what would make the game have more value for their time.

Now, at the end of the day, it’s still just a game – but is what you’re doing in GW2 today, worth you coming back tomorrow to play again?

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Everyone seems to be missing the underlying reason behind this post and other well thought out complaint posts.

They post in hopes of changing the games direction/adding what would make the game have more value for their time.

Now, at the end of the day, it’s still just a game – but is what you’re doing in GW2 today, worth you coming back tomorrow to play again?

I ‘quit’ Rift a few months after its first release. Now I’m playing it again since its free. So while someone can say they ‘quit’ gw2, unless I see a video of them deleting all their characters, then they plan on coming back at some point. Until then, its not quitting, its ‘taking a break’.

Farewell GW2

Rosenakahara.8512

I ‘quit’ Rift a few months after its first release. Now I’m playing it again since its free. So while someone can say they ‘quit’ gw2, unless I see a video of them deleting all their characters, then they plan on coming back at some point. Until then, its not quitting, its ‘taking a break’.

i DID delete all my characters back in 2012, i did quit the game because it was boring me, i come back and find that not much has changed and a few things were messed up (imo as a gw1 fan i don’t like ascended as a concept) but im trying to get back in because im hoping that we might get some new awesome content soon……..i mean 2 years without much perma content is really bad for a recent mmo

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

I completely understand what u mean. you are looking at the future hopes of the game instead of the current….and yes you are right, it seems its going in a not-so-good direction, and it all does seems meaningless, but thats for ANY game in general. for meaningful things, u need to turn to real life (seriously). ANYWAYS, yes i understand and i believe that arenanet NEEDS to make a big content change NOW. especially with the money they SHOULD be making from expanding to other countries, unless the business expansion didnt go very well.

Farewell GW2

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

….oookaaaay….

So, anyway, who’s the person who mentioned that maybe an “I quit” section could be added to the forums? I can’t find it now but I’d second this idea. It would allow the more constructive threads (as this one proved to be) to be used for discussion and would weed out the drivel without generating a lot of passion (maybe).

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Farewell GW2

Rosenakahara.8512

ok but yeah to continue on topic here: i agree that gw2 is lacking memorable moments, only claw island and the fire effigy boss in flame citadel, and only because we were playing mostly PUG and we almost wiped, only i was left and i somehow managed to revive everyone and kill the boss all with the gurren lagann theme playing, it was simply awesome

(edited by Moderator)

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Reisinger.4203

Reisinger.4203

Well said, OP. Agreed on all points.

GW2 PvP League Season 3 Tribute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeKVJ1krPmU

Farewell GW2

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

Good observation. ^^

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Heizero.9183

Heizero.9183

I’m in the same position OP. I have put sooooo mahy hours into this game. I was borderline “fanboy” about gw2 for awhile. But lately the whole experience has been feeling so stale. Nothing is changing in any meaningful way. I kept telling myself to give them time to implement…but it is going on 2 years now and group play for most dungeons (imo) is still in shambles.

Commander Unyielding Shadow – Human Thief
Champion Shadow
Better Luck Next Time [BLNT]-Sea of Sorrows

Farewell GW2

Posted by: JackDaniels.1697

JackDaniels.1697

Direction of Content Creation

As small as the world is, is a small as it will continue to be. And your stuck with the same old content between LS content, which is take it or leave it at best. And any innovation or improvements to content, such as better telegraphing never makes it’s way to the rest of the game. It’s like an entirely different game that’s be cut off, it’s very odd.

I love GW2 but I agree with this. Any improvements they make in the LS such like this, SHOULD make it into the rest of the game. Why it’s not done, confuses me.

“I got a fever! And the only prescription, is more COWBELL!”

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Drakent.9605

Drakent.9605

I also agree with the OP,

GW2 feels more like a facebook video game version, is all about collecting dyed and customs and then show them off . GW2 should be call the other facebook, is just a social game.

Farewell GW2

Posted by: endirasae.3015

endirasae.3015

Meaningless Multiplayer

It’s like everyone is in a bubble roll-a-ball, you can see each other and occasionally bump into each other, but you can’t interact in any meaningful sense. You have no roles, you can’t rely on anyone to do anything specific, nor be relied upon.
You can’t effect anybody in any meaningful way.

Everyone is designed to only ever care about themselves and only themselves, screw everyone else around you. Even if you wanted to help others, you can’t. Not in any direct, or effective ways. At best you have entirely indirect, impersonally, and often trivial means.
The only direct help you can offer is rezzing their sorry backside. Which naturally takes no skill or effort whatsoever.

Last night I was getting used to a new build in Orr (just running around killing random mobs) and another Player came up and asked if I was doing a quest nearby. I said nope and started to move on, then figured I wasn’t exactly going anywhere and offered to help him out.

We ended up doing one of his Orr story missions, in which he’d been having trouble at the final boss, and after a smooth run he happily thanked me and we parted ways.

So, yeah, if you think ressing people is the only help you can offer, Anet’s multiplayer system isn’t the problem.

Farewell GW2

Xae Isareth.1364

GW2 feels more like a facebook video game version, is all about collecting dyed and customs and then show them off . GW2 should be call the other facebook, is just a social game.

The question is then, what should it be? I mean, why do we play MMOs? To play with other people. Why do we collect loot? To show them on our characters.

Doesn’t that make every MMO ‘just a social game’?

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Sir Morgan Malory.2069

Sir Morgan Malory.2069

Thanxs for the memoires, but I have logged into GW2 for the last time. I loved the game 3000hours 14.5k achievement points.
PvE challenges completely dwindled for the benefit of the casual players, and all new PvE content is zerg based.
PvP gameplay is fun but conquest style game design is terrible.
WvW was amazing the odd time big zergs clashed in a prolonged fight. But WvW skirmishes are too quick (with one zerg typically rolling over the other) and skirmishes are far too infrequently. WvW is basically PvDoor for 55mins out of the hour. GW2 was a great game with loads of potential, personally found the living story business model disappointing.

Farewell GW2

Nerelith.7360

….oookaaaay….

So, anyway, who’s the person who mentioned that maybe an “I quit” section could be added to the forums? I can’t find it now but I’d second this idea. It would allow the more constructive threads (as this one proved to be) to be used for discussion and would weed out the drivel without generating a lot of passion (maybe).

Me

Farewell GW2

Nerelith.7360

The question is then, what should it be? I mean, why do we play MMOs? To play with other people. Why do we collect loot? To show them on our characters.

Doesn’t that make every MMO ‘just a social game’?

Not quite. See when I play World of Warcraft it is to level up My character, see what skills she developes. See How those skills Interact with Mobs, so that I can improve my skill… I am playing 3 Monks. Yes 3. there is a reason that if you Know World of warcraft you don’t really need explained, if you don’t or haven’t played well..no need to explain.

In gw2. By level 25 or 30 I have seen all the skills. Mostly after that it’s all refinement. Applying the right traits with the right polishing of already seen and experienced skills.

“ok so Now aftert I use skill A, I get 5 seconds of vigor…. umm… " Yes, I am sure that those 5 seconds of vigor will be useful…but it’s NOT the same thing as Playing to level 85, and seeing an entirely new skill you’ve never seen before.

I think what makes this game more a 3d facebook is…after you have seen ALL the skills… you can Mostly spend your time chatting.." so…How was that Birthday party? " * Kill Troll*.." was good I got a new Blender.." * Kill Oak*… bla bl bla… * Kill bacon*…

The way I think of it…. World of Warcraft and the games that came before it, Including the Original Guild Wars…were games… and you socialized In them as a secondary thing..the primary thing was…exploring the game..and it’s skills.

for me Guild wars 2… feels Like… an excuse to get together with friends you make in the game… the Game itself is beginning, at least for me… to feel Like…something attached to a 3d social engine.

Not sure if I made sense….

When I Played EverQuest… a friend of Mine asked me that played with me." How would you discribe World of Warcraft?" I said " hmmm… as EverQuest Lite… with pretty colors."

I Guess I would describe gw2 is…" World of warcraft lite… with a More casual social, hey let’s all hang out while we kill karkas" feel."

Playing the game is beginning to feel like an afterthought.

(edited by Nerelith.7360)

Farewell GW2

Posted by: ThatShortGuy.4672

ThatShortGuy.4672

….

And coming from Guild Wars which had a great deal of content to this poultry amount is jarring to say the least, I don’t even recognize them as the same company at this point.

I get the same feeling coming from GW1.

It is what it is, however, and I’m willing to go with the flow. The only complaint I have is lack of communication between players and Anet. I think that will help stop (or at least slow because you can’t please everybody) these types of threads.

Checking out the Dev Tracker forum and it’s all about gems or account related issues. No one responding to fans of GW2 trying to offer ideas or even a tease of what’s next. I know Anet has a Community Management team, where is it?

That Cloaked One / That Phantom Memser / That Dark One
ThatShortGuy.com

Farewell GW2

Nerelith.7360

…it’s all about gems …[/quote]

I took out the fluff, and kept in the important part.

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

Some decent complaints here.
While I can’t agree with everything and actually am disagreeing with most of multiplayer points(I think you are doing it wrong, and that comes from a top ~1000 pvper), the fact how the content is temporary is mind-boggling.
I Feel so much effort put into the game in those temporary events. But of course Festival of the four winds and crown pavilion will close it’s doors(or fly away), just as many different things did before. It’s saddening to see their own magnificent work going to waste. And all the permanent content that stays here – is indeed coming at a lethargic pace(not surprised given the amount of temporary content), with little more than fractals, EotM and Karka map being added since the release of the game. But what I know for sure that the pace is actually really fast when we talk about Living World events…

Farewell GW2

Nerelith.7360

I think that we may need to define our terms about what " Permanent Content" means to different people?

See for me “Permanent” means a new part of the map has been opened up for exploration… that wasn’t there before… even if that is subsequently destroyed later in Living Story… that doesn’t mean that it was not " permanent" when it was opened up.

Also “Permanent” for me means New skills… or New weapons, or… new classes.

All of these for me sum up what I mean when I say " Permanent."

Now if the devs decide to add a new Laurel merchant and put her in the Swamp camp near Shadow Behemoth.. and never remove her…she may very well BE “Permanent.” but… that isn’t what I mean when I say " Anet is slow in adding “permanent” content to The game.

Some may consider the “destruction” of Lion ’s Arch" as permanent for the Living Story…. but for me.. that kinda falls with adding a new laurel vendor to the swamp camp Near Shadow Behemoth. Maybe it IS permanent but… meh….

That’s MY opinion.

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

i liked the living story, thats all i have to say about that, do i want more contant? sure every1 always wants more more more

meaningful multiplayer? they just overhauled the reward system what mroe do u want, its much better now

im sure they will open up the map and add new professions/ races in the next year or 2

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

Your multiplayer experience is wrong. in dungeons you DO need to work togther and think about more then personal dps. Look at the flavor of the month dungeon ranger build, it generally brings redmoa/spotter/frost spirit to work together with other popular meta builds, it brings aoe buffs that are important to improving party dps and scale exponentially the more people you have.

I play an engi, and nothing is more satisfing then blasting 18 might stacks onto my party for 30 seconds and watching bosses melt. I think the multiplayer is AMAZING, you just are prolly zerging over world content which is as you said, mindless and not really meaningful, get in a dungeon and its a diffrent world where you need diffrent ideas and gameplay to win.

Your multiplayer experience is wrong; at the higher echelons of dungeon crawling, most ‘legendary’ encounters take less than 10 seconds. Dungeons mostly consist of people standing in a corner applying copious amounts of AoE while the bosses and adds run into it. By far the most time consuming elements of dungeons is the walking, not the fighting.

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Meaningless Multiplayer
And this is the second and exceedingly jarring issue I have, how utterly meaningless and trivial multiplayer is in this game. Which as far as MMO’s goes I consider this to be a cardinal sin. If your multipler gameplay in a massively ‘multiplayer’ online game is poor, then you’ve kind of missed the bloody point haven’t you?

Which is exceedingly bazaar, since in many respects Anet actually did a wonderful job of making it easier then ever to actual play with people without silly little hurdles or contrivances getting in the way, which is fantastic. And yet when you actually do play together, nothing of note ever actually happens.

It’s like everyone is in a bubble roll-a-ball, you can see each other and occasionally bump into each other, but you can’t interact in any meaningful sense. You have no roles, you can’t rely on anyone to do anything specific, nor be relied upon.
You can’t effect anybody in any meaningful way.

Everyone is designed to only ever care about themselves and only themselves, screw everyone else around you. Even if you wanted to help others, you can’t. Not in any direct, or effective ways. At best you have entirely indirect, impersonally, and often trivial means.
The only direct help you can offer is rezzing their sorry backside. Which naturally takes no skill or effort whatsoever.

And what is maddening is that the game is so bloody close to actually pulling off a new and innovative way to have support/cooperative multiplayer interactions, in a way that could be tremendously fun. And yet it just doesn’t. It has everything it needs to work, the door is wide open, and yet it refuses to take the steps to go through.
It seems Anet are so scared of making mistakes that they instead opt to do nothing at all.

Overall I think multiplayer is a few steps forward, and a few steps to the side and off a cliff. You undermined the entire point of multiplayer, and that is bloody disgraceful.
I never thought you could screw it up this badly, but apparently I was mistaken in giving you entirely too much credit.

I’ve had a much more involved and enjoyable multiplayer experience in Dark Souls 2 kitten .

I haven’t logged into this game since around mid January. I played all aspects of it, got 2 legendaries, several full sets of ascended on 4 toons, etc, but ultimately, it seems to me that all the PvE and the small team based PvP combined together, all of it, is nothing but training wheels for WvW. Unfortunately, this is the exact part where A-net has just failed all around dropped the big one.

- no solution to time zone disparity
- no solution to GWEN meta
- stale maps and tactics + above
- stale / stagnant WvW development as compared with the rest of the game which is the training wheels for it.

WvW is the bread and butter of this game and it has been bleeding off players for a real long time now. Rest of us tried to hang on, but, just gave up on A-Net, myself included.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

I think that we may need to define our terms about what " Permanent Content" means to different people?

See for me “Permanent” means a new part of the map has been opened up for exploration… that wasn’t there before… even if that is subsequently destroyed later in Living Story… that doesn’t mean that it was not " permanent" when it was opened up.

Also “Permanent” for me means New skills… or New weapons, or… new classes.

All of these for me sum up what I mean when I say " Permanent."

Now if the devs decide to add a new Laurel merchant and put her in the Swamp camp near Shadow Behemoth.. and never remove her…she may very well BE “Permanent.” but… that isn’t what I mean when I say " Anet is slow in adding “permanent” content to The game.

Some may consider the “destruction” of Lion ’s Arch" as permanent for the Living Story…. but for me.. that kinda falls with adding a new laurel vendor to the swamp camp Near Shadow Behemoth. Maybe it IS permanent but… meh….

That’s MY opinion.

Obviously I would like to see new maps, classes, weapons, new (fun) crafts, other additions like guild-hall, housing, mounts, PvP PvE maps and so on and so on. However I would much rather see that in an expansion every year then during the LS, that they can use that to earn the money instead of this dammed cash-shop focus that is destroying the game for a long time time.

However if we are talking about the LS patches then permanent for me is mainly NOT temporary. The whole problem with temporary is that people feel the pressure to do / get things now before it’s gone. From a marketing perspective that’s of-course the hole point if it come to cash-shop items. However from a game-play standpoint it’s just not fun. The feeling is annoying, if you then start doing it all it becomes a grind and feels like a bad job and if you ignore it you miss out on the stuff. That’s why it is so bad.

And then the bad excuse that it is needed to create a living world what is total nonsense. Have an event just going on (you see npc’s build something) and then add in the activities and rewards later when it’s build then you have an changing world but all the stuff is permanent. An NPC that sells something temporary is the same problem.

What you describe is more an expansion of the game what obviously is also a from a permanent content but when I complain about the temporary nature of the LS I am really talking about the problem that all that stuff is temporary in stead of permanent.

Farewell GW2

Posted by: Spirigo.2897

Spirigo.2897

I read your complaint that they havent “added” to professions and stopped reading. One of the chief problems with GW1 was that they continually added skills, it was a balancing nightmare and they were doing MASSIVE balance patches 5 years into the game. They aren’t going wild with additions to professions because their focus is on getting them into a good place where they don’t have huge problems.

Also, bye bye to your thread – there’s no way a mod isn’t going to lock/delete this.

I completely agree with this. GW1 ended up being completely impossible to balance which eventually lead to a massive player backlash. Guilds were making conga lines in GvG tournament matches, HA became continually filled with the very same 11111 spam builds (ok, maybe 12345678 spam builds, same difference) or lame unavoidable spike teams.

All of this was pretty much being balanced by a single person from what I understood, who got trashed every time he made a statement or did anything. Ultimately PvE speedruns became the most challenging and exciting thing you could do in the game that was renowned for its PvP, and even they were quite lame.

People need to take their nostalgia goggles off and realise that even though ultimately GW1 wasn’t as bad as people were saying at the time, it wasn’t the perfect MMO that people here make it out to be.

In a sense the same is happneing to GW2 right now. Every problem gets blown up out of proportions to no longer reflect the reality. Even this talk about 1111111 spam is pretty much nonsense. This tactic only works in EBG or EotM when you outnumber the opponent or the core of the zerg is made out of an organized WvW guild. As much as 10 man disadvantage will turn your fight from 111111 spam to something where movement, positioning and skill rotations matter.

As for PvE I don’t really see a focus in these complaints. Some complain about zergable content, others about the wurm event being impossible. There are even people who whine about Tequatl failing occasionally (fugin’ ell come an hour early for it and afk your character). So really I don’t understand these complaints except for one: Too much time is spent polishing unsuccessful content; you can’t polish a turd!

Inb4 “everything in gw2 is unsuccessful content”.

(edited by Spirigo.2897)