Farmers: what should be done.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Greetings forumians!

Today I introduce to you…. the magical show of squeaking quaggans and floating imp- asuras! Now that I’m sure you are reading: here’s what I think could prevent all the farming, grinding etc.

1. Fix prices for every item.

2. Make everything as rewarding as the best farm.

3. Make gold accountbound.

Why, you might ask?

• Farmers are players who seek the most lucrative ways to make ‘gold’. Gold is a artificial creation and could as easily have been called ‘karma’ or ‘badges’ or anything. This idea stands central. Now farmers focus on gathering these currencies as fast as they can. The way they do this is often through farming materials. These materials are sold to other players. Here’s where the trouble begins:
    i – Through a bigger supply from farmers, the materials in question become close to worthless.
    ii – The developers create ‘processes’ that require huge amounts of said materials, in order to stop the inflation. We can regard ascended crafting and crafting to 500 as such a process. [!]
    iii – Farmers gain large amounts of gold through selling their goods to others, and because there is so much money on the market, certain items that cannot be farmed (such as legendaries, such as precursors…) become more and more expensive in terms of gold.

This has a very nasty consequence: players who do not look for the most lucrative way to earn gold, earn a lot less than the farmers. They also need certain items, such as materials, if they want to be part of crafting ascended gear etc. This might seem very innocent, but in fact it is not. This means players who do not farm require more gold, because they too need to buy a huge stockpile of for example ancient wood logs, and they are forced to use the very farms the farmers exploit in order to gain enough gold.

From that point… we have a farmy/grindy game. People need to spend unhealthy amounts of time in order to require certain milestones, and what’s more, they need to spend that time on activities they might not even like (i.e. the farming)!

My solution:

• Accountbound gold: you can no longer trade with other players, so there is no possibility for inflation of gold.
  • Fixed prices for items: no longer the possibility for inflation of items.
  • Everyone can now do whatever they like and gain money for it, allowing them anything they want, after playing the game.

Discuss away.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

Yeah. make gold account bound. Yeah. so then it has no purpose and has no point. facilitating sweet kitten all. As brain damaged an idea as I’ve ever seen.

Sirendor.1394

Yeah. make gold account bound. Yeah. so then it has no purpose and has no point. facilitating sweet kitten all. As brain damaged an idea as I’ve ever seen.

You would actually still earn gold and use that gold in order to buy the items you need. It wouldn’t become useless at all, please read the whole thread and reflect on the idea I present, before answerring.

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Your first point kinda made me think about basic idea of communism and Central-controlled economy. You know what? It failed

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Your first point kinda made me think about basic idea of communism and Central-controlled economy. You know what? It failed

Communism has only failed on the large scale. Communism is still doing great on the small to medium scale. Matter of fact, it’s the only thing that keeps capitalism running.

Sirendor.1394

Communism has only failed on the large scale. Communism is still doing great on the small to medium scale. Matter of fact, it’s the only thing that keeps capitalism running.

To add, it only failed because the “central controllers” were corrupt. Since the central controllers here are one gaming company that already got a large chunk of it’s income through selling their game and gets the other part through gems (=/= gold). I think your analogy is far off (@Rym).

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

I have a better solution to farming, don’t by materials from the TP, if you need materials go out and spend the time acquiring all necessary mats you need to do whatever it is, that way the farmers can’t make money off the mats they farm, you’ll have the satisfaction of acquiring your own materials thus making the game a more rewarding experience….no changes to the monetary system needed.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

I have a better solution to farming, don’t by materials from the TP, if you need materials go out and spend the time acquiring all necessary mats you need to do whatever it is, that way the farmers can’t make money off the mats they farm, you’ll have the satisfaction of acquiring your own materials thus making the game a more rewarding experience….no changes to the monetary system needed.

^^^^This^^^^

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

Let people farm…that’s their way of enjoying a game, so let them do it.

This market is pretty balanced, and a balanced market will fix itself. The only farmers that we should smash hammers and punish, are bot farmers.

Blanger.3162

In a lot of way farmers are providing a necessary service to the community by doing the grunt work of gathering material, as in real life the rich just by the materials and don’t have to worry about ever getting their hands dirty, the poor, well they have to either become farmers or ask for assistance in paying for the things they are too lazy to go out and get, lots of RL parallels in this topic if you think about it.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

You’re forgetting one key thing here: Human nature.

We live in a world where we want everything here and now. People who want their Legendary weapons right away will not want to wait to farm their own mats. Due to this, there will always be people in need of mats from other players.

On a similar note, if you were to take away the ability to short cut the process via the TP, expect rage from the community like you’ve never seen on the forums before.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Oniyui.8279

Oniyui.8279

Right now the entire economy is attached to Anet’s income. A utopian economy could only work with a subscription.

“2. Make everything as rewarding as the best farm.”

This point you made I’m more inclined to agree with. The rewards structure is a bit askew atm.

Blanger.3162

You’re forgetting one key thing here: Human nature.

We live in a world where we want everything here and now. People who want their Legendary weapons right away will not want to wait to farm their own mats. Due to this, there will always be people in need of mats from other players.

On a similar note, if you were to take away the ability to short cut the process via the TP, expect rage from the community like you’ve never seen on the forums before.

Not really read my follow’up above your post…..

BTW I agree with everything you are saying…

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Greetings forumians!

Today I introduce to you…. the magical show of squeaking quaggans and floating imp- asuras! Now that I’m sure you are reading: here’s what I think could prevent all the farming, grinding etc.

1. Fix prices for every item.

2. Make everything as rewarding as the best farm.

3. Make gold accountbound.

Worst idea ever.
And I’ve seen a few terrible ideas on these forums in my days.

First off – you’re killing – completely killing a part of the game – the TP and economic aspects.

Yes – a farmer will earn more than your average player BUT he pays a price for that. If you think killing the same champion 200 times/ day every day is fun – guess again.
The average player is getting MORE ENJOYMENT out of his game time while the average farmer is getting MORE GOLD. It’s a simple trade-off really and it’s only fair.

You can have a very engaging day playing WvW – or you can have a very boring day farming champs ( or as the case was not long ago – doing COF P1 until your eyes melted).

Regarding communism – it’s pretty clear you guys have only experienced it on a theoretical level.
In reality communism is a terrible construction – an artificial system that FORCES equality where equality has no place being.

Human beings are not born equal – biologically some are better than others – from any point of view. Some are naturally more competent at some things and some are naturally more competent at others. Some are just incompetent at most things – that’s the genetic lottery.
Through nurture human beings become even more different – those who think a communist system based on equality can ever work are deluded.

You’ll never be able to deal with the restlessness of those who can do a lot more and are being held back by the others and the rules nor will you be able to deal with the ever increasing number of lazy individuals that aren’t bothering to contribute anymore because weather they do it or not – the end result for them is pretty much the same.

That’s what brought down communism – the fact that more and more people realized there was no point in struggling or working hard – that in the end the system had a " hard cap " for what you could obtain and you only needed a minimum amount of effort to reach that cap. After that everything you did became superfluous and people stopped bothering.
Either that – or became corrupt trying to acquire more than the system would allow for through normal means.

That’s what brought the communist system down. It is a flawed ideology that does not account for human nature – which is self centered, individualistic and selfish.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

Capitalism failed miserably, and was bailed out by communism.

Posted by: Shirk.6421

Shirk.6421

Well, I’m one of these farmers and farm stuff and sell it at the TP instead of following the champ train. My favourite thing to do is farming in WvW while solo roaming and taking camps. I don’t really see a problem… Someone who wants the stuff without farming can buy it, I have fun while making some money, and, yeah, where the hell is your problem? If you don’t want to pay for it go and farm it yourself. Nobody is forcing you. I think it would be a pain in the kitten for many people being forced to farm on their own. (That’s one of the big problem players have with ascended stuff, acc-bound). I don’t want legendarys or ascended stuff, I love my makeshift set so I’ll keep it. The mats are an income that covers my repair and nourishment costs. I guess there are some players like me, we’re doing nothing wrong, we’re helping the econocmis

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

emm ….. what happen to the “let people play the game the way they want” ?

if farming is what they enjoy let them be

if spvp is what the enjoy, let them be

if WvW is what they enjoy let them be

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Zebulous.2934

Zebulous.2934

Sigh, the ruling body of those communist communities determine who gets what goods or what services. Someone must decide who needs what. Those who can influence that ruling body get what they want. Those with no influence get what is left over. Those communist communities take what can be sold from their members and sell it at competitive prices in the mixed economy. It is the capitalist element in that mixed economy which is supporting those communists, not the other way around.

It is government controls which distort supply and demand. Consumer, and vendor reactions to government controls are what cause scarcity and inflation. The Major market control arena net has is the ability for players to turn gold into gems. This causes people to play the market. It also causes players to gather huge amounts of gold long after a player using only in-game equipment would have stopped. Quite frankly the gold to gem conversion is the largest gold sink in the entire game. If you want the major cause of inflation, there it is. Without the gold conversion people would not be making their twentieth eternity just to sell it for the highest price possible. Arena net is the only source of many gems store items. Regulating the prices in the trading post would forever put these gemstore items out of the reach of gold to gem players. They would, have no incentive to farm anything. A great many would probably quit.

(edited by Zebulous.2934)

Zebulous.2934

Lets see, you don’t regenerate if I attack with fire or acid right?

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The only point of the OP I would even consider looking at is #2. Players are undeniably gravitating to the most profitable activities in-game (although that’s just human nature at work), and it’s skewing player activity to a degree. Re-balancing the way loot is acquired may be needed to ensure that all areas of the game receive an active, healthy population.

Posted by: aliksyian.7642

aliksyian.7642

Don’t focus the game so much on getting ‘stuff’. Make it about /doing/ stuff. You probably won’t have as many players, but you’ll have better ones.

Hide user’s posts on forum with chrome tampermonkey script: http://pastebin.com/aaUQr3pm

Zebulous.2934

Don’t focus the game so much on getting ‘stuff’. Make it about /doing/ stuff. You probably won’t have as many players, but you’ll have better ones.

they want, “profitable,” players, not necessarily, “better,” players.

Posted by: aliksyian.7642

aliksyian.7642

they want, “profitable,” players, not necessarily, “better,” players.

This is sadly true, but I think there are profits to be made from other kinds of players. People would pay money for town clothes, for housing, for customization, for event hosting, for guild halls, and so on.

Hide user’s posts on forum with chrome tampermonkey script: http://pastebin.com/aaUQr3pm

Posted by: Saulius.8430

Saulius.8430

if there were no farmers, i’d have to run around like madman and chop those ancient logs myself. now i can enjoy dungeons and buy as many logs as i want

kill all ze thingz

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

What happened to the play how you want ideology?

All i see is OP wants everyone to play like he does so he can afford more expensive skins/materials.

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

Might as well.
By now we are so deep down the rabbit hole it won’t matter anyway.

Posted by: data.4093

data.4093

OP is either really stupid or trolling.

Alright partner, keep on trolling baby.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt6rRNANSgI

Sirendor.1394

OP is either really stupid or trolling.

Oh crap, posted on wrong game forum again. Forgot we’re all playing Farm Wars 2. Guess the maiority of non-farmers have already left the game or disappeared in the glorious WvW. Nobody takes non-farmers serious. -sniff-

AND i’m only theoretizing, I see a lot of flaws with the idea, but I’m interested how other people would see it, regardless of their being wealthy or not in this game.

Posted by: matemaster.2168

matemaster.2168

GW2 is as close to communism as it can get with one difference… almost free market.
Look at the equality in this game not in gold but items (easy and fast to get all exotic gear) , look at sharing experiences, resources
And really you dont need the gold in order to be competetive with others. With all easy to get exotics the performance of your character is almost equal to every other character in the game
In the sense of equality, sharing and not needing the ingame currency to be competetive and equaly performing with others. The GW2 is pretty good working COMMUNISM

(edited by matemaster.2168)

data.4093

Oh crap, posted on wrong game forum again. Forgot we’re all playing Farm Wars 2. Guess the maiority of non-farmers have already left the game or disappeared in the glorious WvW. Nobody takes non-farmers serious. -sniff-

AND i’m only theoretizing, I see a lot of flaws with the idea, but I’m interested how other people would see it, regardless of their being wealthy or not in this game.

Here’s what I don’t understand: Why do you care how people spend their time or how much gold they have?

And:

Now farmers focus on gathering these currencies as fast as they can. The way they do this is often through farming materials. These materials are sold to other players. Here’s where the trouble begins:
i – Through a bigger supply from farmers, the materials in question become close to worthless.

OK so farmers gather materials, sell to market and drop prices.

ii – The developers create ‘processes’ that require huge amounts of said materials, in order to stop the inflation. We can regard ascended crafting and crafting to 500 as such a process. [!]

The inflation of goods right? Lots of goods are farmed meaning prices are low and Anet creates ascended crafting because of lots of goods? No, Anet created ascended crafting to promote vertical progression.

iii – Farmers gain large amounts of gold through selling their goods to others, and because there is so much money on the market, certain items that cannot be farmed (such as legendaries, such as precursors…) become more and more expensive in terms of gold.

You just said in point 1 that the items become close to worthless. Farmers would have to change which items they gathered constantly as they flooded the market and suppressed prices. As for your last sentence…what in the world? Legendaries ARE a farm. Precursors become more expensive as supply doesn’t keep up with demand and people who save gold are always bidding up the price. If anything, you should want more farmers since they’re creating goods, CREATING NEW PRECURSORS.

And this:

This means players who do not farm require more gold, because they too need to buy a huge stockpile of for example ancient wood logs, and they are forced to use the very farms the farmers exploit in order to gain enough gold.

From that point… we have a farmy/grindy game. People need to spend unhealthy amounts of time in order to require certain milestones, and what’s more, they need to spend that time on activities they might not even like (i.e. the farming)!

So your answer is to stop people from doing dungeons, activities they DO like and make them get their own items through…farming everything? Give everyone a legendary? Or do you think Anet is going to introduce a fixed gold system which is going to magically work?

(edited by data.4093)

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

3 would actually increase inflation drastically because it takes the trading post out of the equation . For every transaction on the trading post there is a 15%% tax taking gold out of the economy . Without the TP tax the inflation would be much higher right now . What exactly are you going to spend your gold on once the TP goes away anyway since all gold is account bound?

Sirendor.1394

Right now the entire economy is attached to Anet’s income. A utopian economy could only work with a subscription.

This would be one of the maior objections to my proposal. Indeed, I’m quite sceptical about how Anet would get income through gems if the in-game economy would be detached from gems. They can’t obviously fix gem prices (in gold), since that would reduce their income. Gem prices go up all the time, meaning a lot of people are in fact using Gold>Gems, which means they get less income through that than if people actually bought their gems with real life money.

Sirendor.1394

3 would actually increase inflation drastically because it takes the trading post out of the equation . For every transaction on the trading post there is a 15%% tax taking gold out of the economy . Without the TP tax the inflation would be much higher right now . What exactly are you going to spend your gold on once the TP goes away anyway since all gold is account bound?

My idea was to add NPC stores with any kind of item you can think. Not legendaries of course. Legendaries shouldn’t be something able to be bought. But I for one wouldn’t have any objection if they had fixed precursor prices at 500 gold in the beginning of the game. Back then they were maybe 50g… now they’re on their way to 1000g. There wouldn’t be a need for gold sinks, since there wouldn’t be inflation… gold would keep it’s worth and items would stay the same gold price always. That way, you can gather gold any way you want (if they applied making everything as profitable) and don’t worry about having to farm faster cause every item keeps getting more expensive.

Sirendor.1394

Here’s what I don’t understand: Why do you care how people spend their time or how much gold they have?

And:
OK so farmers gather materials, sell to market and drop prices.

The inflation of goods right? Lots of goods are farmed meaning prices are low and Anet creates ascended crafting because of lots of goods? No, Anet created ascended crafting to promote vertical progression.

You just said in point 1 that the items become close to worthless. Farmers would have to change which items they gathered constantly as they flooded the market and suppressed prices. As for your last sentence…what in the world? Legendaries ARE a farm. Precursors become more expensive as supply doesn’t keep up with demand and people who save gold are always bidding up the price. If anything, you should want more farmers since they’re creating goods, CREATING NEW PRECURSORS.

And this:
So your answer is to stop people from doing dungeons, activities they DO like and make them get their own items through…farming everything? Give everyone a legendary? Or do you think Anet is going to introduce a fixed gold system which is going to magically work?

I’ll answer all these:

1- I don’t mind if anyone is spending their time farming champions… however it shouldn’t force other players to farm those champions aswell. For me, WvW is a lot more enjoyable. I don’t like farming champions. Why should I be forced to farm champions in order to gain gold?

2- I think you didn’t understand what I was stating:

• Farmers gather materials, they sell the materials, materials run from 30 copper to 1s (except t6), which is quite cheap, for the farmers.
  • Problem is, these farmers have a ton of gold, because the farms give more gold than any other part of the game. Other players do not have such amounts of gold, so for them materials may be cheap, but not as cheap as they would like, especially because certain things require enormous amounts of those materials (ascended/legendaries).
  • Anet scales the requirements for stuff such as legendaries according to what the most profitable farmer can earn in a day: legendaries cost you ~1500g to make. Crafting to 500 for ascended costs ~200g and each piece costs another ~60g.
  • Non-farmers are not able to obtain said amounts of gold in order to achieve those things, because their activities do not reward as much as the others. In that respect, the biggest issue is that non-farm activities do not reward as good as champ trains/material runs.
  • Materials indeed drop in price, and this is problematic cause non-farmers also get their money from materials (although they get a lot less material drops). Thing is, even if they are ridiculously cheap for a farmer, they are still expensive for people who don’t farm. The 200g required for getting a craft to 500 is nothing for a farmer. It is a huge amount for one who doesn’t farm.

3- I think you completely missed my point. My solution would mean you can do anything you like and gain money through anything: if you like to go do champ farms, sure go for it, you won’t influence prices anymore, but you’ll still gain enough money to get all your shinies. If you like do do dungeons, go do them, you’ll gain as much as a champ farmer. If you like to do WvW small scale, go do it! If you like to do jumping puzzles, go for it!

Instead of restricting players in doing what they want, I think it would actually allow people to do whatever they want.

Sirendor.1394

And to back my claim that ascended are a material sink: here’s what you need for crafting from 400 to 450 in weaponsmith:
250 Orichalcum Ore ( 552 per)
192 Ancient Wood Log ( 515 per)
3 Pile of Crystalline Dust (1611 per)
30 Elaborate Totem (1569 per)
40 Glob of Ectoplasm (37 0 per)
1 Orichalcum Dagger Hilt (1680 per)
2 Rabid Orichalcum Imbued Inscription ( 33811 per)

450 to 500 in weaponsmith:
508 Orichalcum Ore ( 552 per)
360 Ancient Wood Log ( 515 per)
40 Elaborate Totem (1569 per)
140 Glob of Ectoplasm (37 0 per)
30 Flawless Snowflake ( 980 per)
5 Orichalcum Dagger Hilt (1680 per)
7 Large Ancient Haft (30 0 per)
5 Orichalcum Spear Head (30 0 per)
4 Shaman’s Orichalcum Imbued Inscription ( 41487 per)
8 Rabid Orichalcum Imbued Inscription ( 33811 per)
2 Settler’s Orichalcum Imbued Inscription ( 41997 per)
3 Dire Orichalcum Imbued Inscription ( 41846 per)

(copied from gw2crafts.net)

For one ascended weapon (greatsword):
20 Pile of Crystaline dust
370 Thermocatalytic Reagent
1 Augur crystal
10 Dark matter
500 Pile of Bloodstone Dust
500 Emperyal Shard
500 Dragonite Ore
180 Iron Ingot
90 Steel Ingot
180 Darksteel Ingot
450 Mithril Ingot
12 Globs of Ectoplasm
60 Soft Wood Plank
60 Seasoned Wood Plank
60 Hard Wood Plank
150 Elder Wood Plank
1 Exotic Inscription
30 Obsidian Shard

(edited by Sirendor.1394)

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

The game basically is a giant gold sink, so farmers are the logical answer to that. Various things in the game require ludicrous amounts of gold, such as crafting the Halloween weapons, or legendaries. Farming makes this process is easier for everyone. You’ll have plenty of materials to buy from the TP, and the more there are of those, the more the prices of them sink. Its basic supply and demand. If farmers flood the market with materials, prices drop. More precursors and exotics will be available on the TP as well, and at a lower price. Win win for all of us.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Sirendor.1394

The game basically is a giant gold sink, so farmers are the logical answer to that. Various things in the game require ludicrous amounts of gold, such as crafting the Halloween weapons, or legendaries. Farming makes this process is easier for everyone. You’ll have plenty of materials to buy from the TP, and the more there are of those, the more the prices of them sink. Its basic supply and demand. If farmers flood the market with materials, prices drop. More precursors and exotics will be available on the TP as well, and at a lower price. Win win for all of us.

Actually it’s only win win for people who have money… and those are either TP flippers, farmers themselves or people who got a precursor drop. Everyone else is screwed. Let me refer to this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/2700gold-You-re-kidding-bro/first#post3243547

data.4093

You’re still not making any sense. You’re like a person who’s mad about the high price of an item when there’s a monopoly. But instead of directing frustration at the monopoly you get mad at the people selling the item.

I don’t mind if anyone is spending their time farming champions… however it shouldn’t force other players to farm those champions aswell. For me, WvW is a lot more enjoyable. I don’t like farming champions. Why should I be forced to farm champions in order to gain gold?

You aren’t. Anet created the requirements for all items. If you want a weapon then you need the materials to craft it. How you obtain those materials is your choice.

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

OP just sounds like one those guys who thinks everyone should be able to get everything.

There has always been and there will always be content that is dedicated to those who put the time and effort of reaching them. In GW2 those happen to be legendary weapons and other pricy skins.

Sirendor.1394

OP just sounds like one those guys who thinks everyone should be able to get everything.

There has always been and there will always be content that is dedicated to those who put the time and effort of reaching them. In GW2 those happen to be legendary weapons and other pricy skins.

Let’s agree to disagree on that. I don’t see champ trains as dedication and certainly not as effort.

Posted by: Talissa Chan.7208

Talissa Chan.7208

Then do it. Champ farm for 1 week straight. its boring, grindy, extremely repetitious, mind numbing and effectively the same as working for minimum wage at a toothpaste cap conveyor line.
That’s why its there and people do it, its a stable income.
You can make money a crapload of different ways, champ farming is seriously the most braindead but it works, and if you need karma or a burst of cash its a way to do it that requires no skill but a buttload of time.
Do it for a week, every day, every hour – see in person how easy this “easy money” you’re complaining about is.
Every day there’s another muffin complaining that champ farming needs removing. You’re just another.

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

Old rule in economics: you get more of what you subsidize.

In the real world, subsidies create farming product imbalances by encouraging farmers to grow items that wouldn’t be worth growing otherwise. The same happens in games when the rewards are out of whack for the effort involved.

The solution to farming is thus simple: lower the rewards on activities being farmed and/or increase rewards on activities that are getting less attention. Another is to institute time limits — there’s no reason you should get a nice reward for killing any given champion more than once a day, just as the best rewards in other areas are only once a day.

Make it so you only get one bag per day per champion. Then multiply the silver reward for completing open world events by, say, 20, but again, only once per day. And you’ll be amazed to find that people will once again travel the open world doing lots of different things.

(edited by Qaelyn.7612)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

i – Through a bigger supply from farmers, the materials in question become close to worthless….

This means players who do not farm require more gold, because they too need to buy a huge stockpile of for example ancient wood logs, and they are forced to use the very farms the farmers exploit in order to gain enough gold.

The first part of the quote and the second contradict each other.

Farmers bring down the market value of many things that can be farmed, lowering prices on those items.

Farming can impact inflation regarding farmable currency, such as gold, but this will be very heavily impacted by the ratio of farmers to non farmers in game.

If farmers are a relatively small portion of the player base and their combined income represents a small portion of the total size of the active currency in game then their farming will have little impact on inflation.

If farmers represent a large portion, perhaps even a majority, of the player base then the resulting inflation doesn’t matter as much because most people have the large currency reserves to offset.

Of course a middle ground is possible as well. Even so, as you said, driving down prices on some materials is part of this process and so non farmers will face increased prices on some things, offset by lowered prices on others.

Posted by: jwenting.6207

jwenting.6207

You would actually still earn gold and use that gold in order to buy the items you need. It wouldn’t become useless at all, please read the whole thread and reflect on the idea I present, before answerring.

uh, no. As selling those things is done with gold as the reward, and gold would be account bound, you could never sell anything to other players.
The inter-player market would become impossible, the only reason to have gold will be to pay for repairs, teleports, and npc items.

And gold would just be replaced with something else as the currency for inter-player transactions.
It’d change to say crafting materials, the rarer the more valuable.
And all that would do is remove one level of abstraction for the farmers, who’d become far more aggressive and start preventing other players from killing things in order to prevent them having access to drops, drops that could include those rare materials.

And before you shout that that’d never happen, it happens in every single mmo where there’s a farmable rare commodity that has value in trade between players.