Farming in Orr

Farming in Orr

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khyber.2693

Khyber.2693

Man, do you even econ? More supply + Normal demand = Lower prices. You people still make more money than us, get.over.it. We don’t even make that much, and what we do make gets listed on the tp and overall helps everyone else. Most people don’t horde like you seem to think they are, I’m only keeping t6 for my legendary, everything else is getting listed.

The problem that you’re making is that you’re focusing solely on prices of certain items and not on everything that’s related. You’re making the same mistake that many people make when they want precursors to be cheaper without realizing that it would cause all of the materials for making a legendary to become more expensive.

Perhaps you should think on more of a macro level..

There are plenty of exploits in this game, why are you all only kittening about this one? Why isn’t stacking and abusing boss mechanics an exploit to you all? They are abusing something too for fast money :/

Perhaps because it’s not an exploit? Hmm…

If that’s not an exploit than why is Orr farming one? We’re abusing a mechanic, and so are they in dungeons. Both are exploiting a mechanic.

One difference is that one of them is intended. I’ll also state once again that stacking is not an exploit. If you require further clarification as to why then I suggest you post a thread in the dungeons forum asking why. I’m sure they’d be glad to give you the answer.

You don’t get the point. Both things exploit mechanics in this game, key work “exploit”. You don’t really think Anet intended for us to all stack in every dungeon corner for everything do you? Do you really honestly think FGS running at walls and other things where what they had in mind? No they didn’t have that in mind, they didn’t have this in mind either.

Please, PLEASE stop trying to get everything worth farming nerfed. We don’t even make that much money, I don’t want open world farming to become completely awful and therefor not be done. It should be profitable, we spend a kittenton of time down there working together and having fun down there. We aren’t harming you, please just leave us alone and stop trying to ruin the game for people who enjoy open world farming. There are people who enjoy doing this and being together down there. Please stop trying to get fun things people like doing that don’t even give us a lot of money nerfed. How would you like it if people just nerfed your favorite aspect of gameplay into the ground?

Farming in Orr

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You don’t get the point. Both things exploit mechanics in this game, key work “exploit”. You don’t really think Anet intended for us to all stack in every dungeon corner for everything do you? Do you really honestly think FGS running at walls and other things where what they had in mind? No they didn’t have that in mind, they didn’t have this in mind either.

Except one of these they have come out and stated that is not what they intended and taken action against. You stating that stacking and using FGS is an exploit is just speculation whereas those stating that the Blixx farm is an exploit are using more factual reasoning as similar events in the past have been deemed as such.

Please, PLEASE stop trying to get everything worth farming nerfed. We don’t even make that much money, I don’t want open world farming to become completely awful and therefor not be done. It should be profitable, we spend a kittenton of time down there working together and having fun down there. We aren’t harming you, please just leave us alone and stop trying to ruin the game for people who enjoy open world farming. There are people who enjoy doing this and being together down there. Please stop trying to get fun things people like doing that don’t even give us a lot of money nerfed. How would you like it if people just nerfed your favorite aspect of gameplay into the ground?

Please stray away from using the strawman arguments. I’m not trying to get open world farming nerfed. I’m trying to get exploitable events fixed.

Farming in Orr

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Meh … in the end what we’ll get is just more mobs that drop no loot.

Farming in Orr

Posted by: Minigrump.4961

Minigrump.4961

my head hurts from reading this thread. now i remember why I only read the dungeon sub forums.

Let me put this in the most possibly polite way I can right now. STOP COMPLAINING. IT DOES NOT HARM YOU SO DO NOT PAY ANY ATTENTION TO IT. If you want to do it your own way, then do it. Do not force your opinion onto others as it is considered rude and can actually be a reportable offence.

Farming in Orr

Posted by: Khyber.2693

Khyber.2693

Except one of these they have come out and stated that is not what they intended and taken action against. You stating that stacking and using FGS is an exploit is just speculation whereas those stating that the Blixx farm is an exploit are using more factual reasoning as similar events in the past have been deemed as such.

Please stray away from using the strawman arguments. I’m not trying to get open world farming nerfed. I’m trying to get exploitable events fixed.

Using the logic many have used in this thread, manipulating mechanics as to gain an advantage is what you all have said is an exploit. Typical dungeon tactics do fall under that. The only reason Anet bans people who farm Orr or has done it is because it is easy to just destroy those events, dungeons aren’t so simple to fix for it.

Strawman or not, “fixing” the exploitable events will ruin Orr. It was already nerfed horribly before, anything else and going there will become a waste of time. What you’re doing in contributing to ruining a part of the game for some players.

Farming in Orr

Posted by: justkoh.4073

justkoh.4073

I don’t suggest we get into an economics discussion with would-be exploiters. That would be skirting the issue.

For those that recall, GW2 used to have a “blink-bot” gathering issue and they could argue the same thing too regarding suppressing material prices and not harming anybody but it doesn’t make it right.

But those are bots, we’re actually taking time out of our day to farm. Bots are big exploits, farming is not, please don’t destroy my favorite place to farm and have fun with people. We all have a lot of fun down there and I don’t want it to end because you all want it nerfed. There needs to be more ways to make money than just spamming dungeons :/ It’s very social and fun down there.

I agree with you that there should be more ways to earn money than spamming dungeons. To some extent, Shelter’s Gate could be an oversight on A-net’s part regarding game design too. That could be why they never banned anyone for participating in the Ember and Dolyak farms but ultimately fixed it.

But I believe my point is understood. That is, the “economic benefits” and “not harming anybody” are irrelevant. Bots are obviously against the TOS so they need to be banned. And so, this discussion is whether deliberately failing an event so that it can be repeated over and over for more loot is an exploit and/or if the event needs to be fixed.

There are play styles which I personally don’t like but would never do anything about them because although somewhat mindless, they are legit. Examples are the QD Champ Farm (gone now but OK if folks are civil and don’t cuss if anyone kills champs out of turn) and Grenth & Arah (also “zergy” but I won’t interfere as long as folks who want to do the defense aren’t harassed. To digress a little, I regard deliberately scaling up the event so that it fails as griefing).

And folks who are trying to complete an event are being cussed at. Yup, we’ve seen that before and we all know what happened in the end.

Yes, its social and fun and in a way, that’s part of the confusion. There’s a sense of camaraderie to it, events being announced, targets being called and everyone getting rich at the same time. How could something so nice be wrong? Unfortunately, its based on exploiting/breaking the game’s DE mechanics and everyone who didn’t play this way became relatively poorer. Perhaps, A-net should make a longer delay upon failure.

There are legit opportunities to zerg so I hope folks can be satisfied with those. Meanwhile, what is broken needs to be fixed.

Farming in Orr

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

failing an event is not an exploit

LOLOLOL. Because the devs intended people to fail events when they designed the DE system right? Ye. There used to be an Orr farm like this 9-10 months ago where people purposely failed an event south of meddlers waypoint. The devs fixed that event specifically for the reason that players were failing it to get huge amounts of loot. I remember those days, I remember trolling that event so hard to purposely make it succeed since thats the way its actually supposed to be done.

So you’re saying the dev team and game designers are short sighted and didn’t think through the game mechanics that implemented? if that’s the case, I’m not sure this game is a product worth defending if the folk in charge didn’t think through what they implemented.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Farming in Orr

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

Fine then, we wont discuss it, but pve in this game is really easy. Nothing in it is hard, and there needs to be more ways of making money than dungeons.

Bro really? We’re not even making as much as the people running dungeons, even when we do fail events. Stop being jealous and trying to get every other fun way of making money kicked out of this game. If people like you keep kittening it will get nerfed again and then my favorite social spot and farming area will be gone, all because people like you got kitten :/ “oh noes open world farmers may be makin close to as much as i do, better whine and qq about them even though they dont affect me at all!” Seriously, leave.Orr.Alone. We aren’t harming you or anyone for that matter, most of us are just there to farm mats and whatnot. Us getting more drops will actually help with the high prices of mats on the tp right now, big time.

We’re not your enemy, not sure why you think we are. Even when we fail events we still don’t make the money that you do. So no, you’re not out for “justice” you’re out to ruin Orr again. Stop acting so jealous and entitled and let us have our fun out in Orr, we’re not hurting you.

Ugh. You don’t even get the point, do you?
I’m not jealous of you. Stop thinking so high of yourself. If I wanted to, I could come and farm myself. It’s not like you’re farming in a VIP spot or something. There’s nothing special about what you’re doing.

And, again, I won’t believe you make less until you prove it.

Lastly, check out my original post. Did I mention anything about having relentless hate and anger towards Orr farmers? Did I rage and scream about how it’s bothering me? Did I beg ANet to ban all farmers and nerf the event?
Hint: No, I didn’t.
The whole purpose of this thread was to get information. You brought the hate into it.

Farming in Orr

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

You didn’t answer my question on the first page

Right, I thought it was obvious…

Basically this is a champ box and materials farm. Very little gold is generated.

Since the idea is to sell all mats/exotics on the TP the increased competition drives prices down. This is good for everyone from an economic point of view : the offer is slowly meeting the demand.

When players are farming unhealthy numbers of champ bags per day.. I am pretty sure the last thing on their mind is helping the economy to be driven down.. 200-400 bags is no issue for many of the players and they can drop a lot more than just a few T5/T6 materials.. and the event coin like any event is just extra cream on top of what can be earned for the mats, the trash items and even more sought after items like Pre-cursors etc themselves.. … they don’t farm it to help others they farm it for themselves and their own gains, what happens aside of that is merely a smoke screen excuse.

Label it whatever you want to label it, fact is more mats in the economy is a good thing right now. Prices have nearly doubled in the last 5 months. I’m a Dungeon guy and I’m very happy that people farm materials because without it I hate to imagine what the prices might be.

An exploit is an exploit.. otherwise having a Cof C is pointless. Anyone exploiting the game in order to gain in such a bottomless fashion should face the banhammer and harder the more outrageous they do it.. farming 400+ bags in a session isn’t anything other than personal exploitation of the mechanics, it has nothing to do with helping us all buy materials in the TP.. stop trying to put that smokescreen put there in an attempt to justify cheating the system.
The exploit is out of control, its viral now across the whole player base.. every copy of CS has it running and a plethora of LFG’s pushing the exploit out there even wider.

Farming in Orr

Bloodstealer.5978

My 2 cents:

It’s NOT an exploit because the event is designed to have 2 VALID outcomes: Success or Fail.
No game mechanic is broken when you purposely fail the event.

I would think the question here is, did ANet make events, any events, with the intention that players would purposely fail them in order to have endlessly spawning mobs to farm?

I would say the answer is no. That they intended players to make every effort to succeed and that events would fail in spite of their efforts. In that case, if players are doing something that ANet did not intend when they made these events, if they are doing so in order to farm in excess of what was intended, then it’s an exploit and players doing so may be suspended or banned or the event changed to stop this farming.

How is that possible anyone’s fault except Anet’s?

That is irrelevant in regards to exploiting the mechanics of the game.. if it looks to good to be true it likely is to good to be true and it is the players responsibility to act on the exploit responsibly not irresponsibly by endlessly exploiting it for personal advantage. otherwise there is no point having things in game that require players to go anywhere else, do anything else or have objects and items in game that require time in game to achieve… no MMO want players to jump in farm everything they need in a few weeks then go elsewhere. but I guess there are way to many that want the easywin exploits .. all in the name of helping us all with the economy.

Farming in Orr

Bloodstealer.5978

Basically this is a champ box and materials farm. Very little gold is generated.

Since the idea is to sell all mats/exotics on the TP the increased competition drives prices down. This is good for everyone from an economic point of view : the offer is slowly meeting the demand.

When players are farming unhealthy numbers of champ bags per day.. I am pretty sure the last thing on their mind is helping the economy to be driven down.. 200-400 bags is no issue for many of the players and they can drop a lot more than just a few T5/T6 materials.. and the event coin like any event is just extra cream on top of what can be earned for the mats, the trash items and even more sought after items like Pre-cursors etc themselves.. … they don’t farm it to help others they farm it for themselves and their own gains, what happens aside of that is merely a smoke screen excuse.

Label it whatever you want to label it, fact is more mats in the economy is a good thing right now. Prices have nearly doubled in the last 5 months. I’m a Dungeon guy and I’m very happy that people farm materials because without it I hate to imagine what the prices might be.

^ This.

The farmers are actually helping the economy right now. If you actively try to get Orr nerfed again then you have no right to complain about mats being expensive.

I don’t complain about prices.. I don’t tend to buy too much because I don’t have any issues getting mats, gold etc through the proper use of the game mechanics. There are more than enough champs and events across the game that can be beaten and succeeded in the proper fashion as intended.. I don’t exploit easywins then try to justify it by saying “I am exploiting so that everyone else can feel all warm and snuggly cos they paid a few copper less for some materials on the TP”

All those trying to defend the exploit are likely those responsible for the worse cases of exploitation from it.. hopefully ANET will see the light soon and do something about it.. nuff said!

On a side note it was a LMAO moment yesterday when the failtrain suddenly broke down in tears when a counter zerg came in and stole the completion under their noses.. ooh the map chat was well and truly toxic and reminiscent of the worst Queensdale days you could imagine.. so many new swear words I never knew existed, so much hatred towards players wanting to run events chains the proper way … ….
I was thinking darn , I wont be paying less on the TP today if this keeps up!.

Long live that anti-failtrain.

Farming in Orr

Protoavis.9107

My 2 cents:

It’s NOT an exploit because the event is designed to have 2 VALID outcomes: Success or Fail.

I would think the question here is, did ANet make events, any events, with the intention that players would purposely fail them in order to have endlessly spawning mobs to farm?

I would say the answer is no. That they intended players to make every effort to succeed and that events would fail in spite of their efforts. In that case, if players are doing something that ANet did not intend when they made these events, if they are doing so in order to farm in excess of what was intended, then it’s an exploit and players doing so may be suspended or banned or the event changed to stop this farming.

That is irrelevant in regards to exploiting the mechanics of the game.. if it looks to good to be true it likely is to good to be true and it is the players responsibility to act on the exploit responsibly not irresponsibly by endlessly exploiting it for personal advantage. otherwise there is no point having things in game that require players to go anywhere else, do anything else or have objects and items in game that require time in game to achieve… no MMO want players to jump in farm everything they need in a few weeks then go elsewhere. but I guess there are way to many that want the easywin exploits .. all in the name of helping us all with the economy.

Let’s be honest here….it’s almost been two years since the game came out. This event chain has existed that whole time, it’s had the same quick respawn time on failure this whole time, it’s been highly known about since like the first month (and was in part, part of the reason that the current form of DR exist) yet no one at the office had any foresight to change the respawn rate on the fail event……ermm. If I was an employee at Anet I’d offended by basically being called stupid.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Farming in Orr

Bloodstealer.5978

Man, do you even econ? More supply + Normal demand = Lower prices. You people still make more money than us, get.over.it. We don’t even make that much, and what we do make gets listed on the tp and overall helps everyone else. Most people don’t horde like you seem to think they are, I’m only keeping t6 for my legendary, everything else is getting listed.

The problem that you’re making is that you’re focusing solely on prices of certain items and not on everything that’s related. You’re making the same mistake that many people make when they want precursors to be cheaper without realizing that it would cause all of the materials for making a legendary to become more expensive.

Perhaps you should think on more of a macro level..

There are plenty of exploits in this game, why are you all only kittening about this one? Why isn’t stacking and abusing boss mechanics an exploit to you all? They are abusing something too for fast money :/

Perhaps because it’s not an exploit? Hmm…

If that’s not an exploit than why is Orr farming one? We’re abusing a mechanic, and so are they in dungeons. Both are exploiting a mechanic.

One difference is that one of them is intended. I’ll also state once again that stacking is not an exploit. If you require further clarification as to why then I suggest you post a thread in the dungeons forum asking why. I’m sure they’d be glad to give you the answer.

Absolutely.. stacking is not an exploit as it is countered by scaling as it was intended to do.
What now needs to happen is scaling needs to be adjusted to match the unhealthy levels of exploitation of the event and then stop champ bags dropping, just give a one off loot bag after completion of the final champ. If it fails then the event goes on a 30minute timer, if it succeeds then onto Jofast as it should play out.

Farming in Orr

Bloodstealer.5978

My 2 cents:

Let’s be honest here….it’s almost been two years since the game came out. This event chain has existed that whole time, it’s had the same quick respawn time on failure this whole time, it’s been highly known about since like the first month (and was in part, part of the reason that the current form of DR exist) yet no one at the office had any foresight to change the respawn rate on the fail event……ermm. If I was an employee at Anet I’d offended by basically being called stupid.

Your probably correct, but bad design and bad QA or not.. players are responsible for their own actions.. if you exploit something that is so obviously not what was intended then ANET are more than in their rights to call foul and hit the ban hammer down kitten those worse offenders as well as other punishments for lesser offenses.. account rollbacks being one of them imo.
The event chain has never been exploited to the levels it has been the last 2-3 weeks, which is why a large proportion of the player base never realised it even existed, me included and I have run Orr a lot since pre-launch.. then again I don’t tend to hide inside a stacked zerg or even run endless champ rotations, but there are enough champs on OPrr to not have to even consider exploiting one event like it now is in such outrageous fashion. There certainly were never any LFG’s promoting Blix Tunnel farm exploits that I can ever recall.. now there many every minute, every hour, every day and the levels of toxicity on the map is growing just as fast.

Farming in Orr

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

LOLOLOL. Because the devs intended people to fail events when they designed the DE system right? Ye. There used to be an Orr farm like this 9-10 months ago where people purposely failed an event south of meddlers waypoint. The devs fixed that event specifically for the reason that players were failing it to get huge amounts of loot. I remember those days, I remember trolling that event so hard to purposely make it succeed since thats the way its actually supposed to be done.

Acknowleges that he trolls for the sole purpose of kittening people off. GG.

Plus DR kicks in after two hours so where’s the issue ? Are you mad that people actually make money in this game and not you ? Stop that.

And for Vayne, this isn’t a bannable offense to fail the event. The only thing that’s wrong is ANet in not having a longer queue for the event restart, thus making it farmable.

Its exploitative, thats all that needs to be said. This happened before in the game once, and was patched. It will again. Just admit what you are doing it wrong. Tell me with a straight face that events were meant to be failed on purpose repeatedly?

Farming in Orr

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

Plus DR kicks in after two hours so where’s the issue ? Are you mad that people actually make money in this game and not you ? Stop that.

And for Vayne, this isn’t a bannable offense to fail the event. The only thing that’s wrong is ANet in not having a longer queue for the event restart, thus making it farmable.

Its exploitative, thats all that needs to be said. This happened before in the game once, and was patched. It will again. Just admit what you are doing it wrong. Tell me with a straight face that events were meant to be failed on purpose repeatedly?

There is a difference between exploits and poor design, this thing is poor design when failing the event reward more than finishing it. Of course exploit definition is vague, but it’s not like players are doing something for the event to fail, they just don’t do anything, which is the difference in my opinion.

Now instead of nerfing farm like these, why doesn’t anet actually rework the reward system for events, makes it worth completing them? Giving out champ boxes for completing events, and making sure the reward fit the time spent/respawn of the events.

(edited by Trice.4598)

Farming in Orr

Protoavis.9107

I wouldn’t say events were meant to be failed, but they’ve often been designed with failure being an option since a number of events result in a different chain of events with failure.

In this particularly case though, I’d say the biggest fail is a design fail in that if the rewards are that significant rather than completing the chain of events, the reward system in game is not where it should be. Same with the SoE champ farm, it’s more rewarding to kill the three champ golems over and over than it is to actually completely the path.

Farming in Orr

SkylightMoon.1980

I wouldn’t say events were meant to be failed, but they’ve often been designed with failure being an option since a number of events result in a different chain of events with failure.

In this particularly case though, I’d say the biggest fail is a design fail in that if the rewards are that significant rather than completing the chain of events, the reward system in game is not where it should be. Same with the SoE champ farm, it’s more rewarding to kill the three champ golems over and over than it is to actually completely the path.

Do I need to find quotes for you people to prove its not intended by the devs? People are trying to maneuver their way out of the fact that its exploitative lol. It doesn’t mean you will get banned, people didn’t before with the old event farm that theyd fail intentionally

Farming in Orr

Protoavis.9107

Do I need to find quotes for you people to prove its not intended by the devs? People are trying to maneuver their way out of the fact that its exploitative lol. It doesn’t mean you will get banned, people didn’t before with the old event farm that theyd fail intentionally

Why would I get banned? I haven’t set foot in Orr for over a year now….

I disagree with it being an exploit, granted I have slightly more faith in the dev team than for them to have made a giant over sight about their event chains and mechanisms that have been in place and played for two years now…..if it is an over sight though I feel less secure about this game, two years is a long time to miss something that’s pretty obvious….

Farming in Orr

Trice.4598

There is a difference between “not intended” and “exploits” Fiery Greatsword is a good example, it was not intended to be used against a wall without target to deal insane amount of damage, however, dev called it a “clever use of game mechanic” rather than an exploit. Of course getting a better reward from failing is not intended, but it’s not because of an exploit, it’s because of Anet poor reward system for completing events.

Farming in Orr

SkylightMoon.1980

I disagree with it being an exploit, granted I have slightly more faith in the dev team than for them to have made a giant over sight about their event chains and mechanisms that have been in place and played for two years now…..if it is an over sight though I feel less secure about this game, two years is a long time to miss something that’s pretty obvious….

Okay well dont call it an exploit but let me show you a video of a dev specifically saying they dont want what you are doing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy7CcwnfUdU 25:00, start there. lol there you go.

Farming in Orr

Trice.4598

Okay well dont call it an exploit but let me show you a video of a dev specifically saying they dont want what you are doing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy7CcwnfUdU 25:00, start there. lol there you go.

That’s exactly what people have been trying to say. It may not be what Dev had in mind, but they don’t mind it, they will however push us in other direction by changing what they think is unfit.

Farming in Orr

SkylightMoon.1980

That’s exactly what people have been trying to say. It may not be what Dev had in mind, but they don’t mind it, they will however push us in other direction by changing what they think is unfit.

Colin just said its not what they want so of course they will change it lol. I can’t believe you are going to such great efforts to defend failing an event to grind gold.

Farming in Orr

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Colin just said its not what they want so of course they will change it lol. I can’t believe you are going to such great efforts to defend failing an event to grind gold.

Are you really just that dense or you intentionally trolling everybody to kitten off people?
ANet will change it as happened with the ember farm. Chill out.

Farming in Orr

Trice.4598

And I can’t believe you’re doing the same to make us look like the bad guys. Colin state he likes when people gather and work together, are you going to blame the 74 people teaming up for farming, or the one guy, who doesn’t actually give a d kitten about the event but want to upset people. I think Colin would support the 74.

Farming in Orr

Protoavis.9107

He’s also said he wants to foster a positive community on numerous occasions but you’re here trolling and generally being negative…not sure why you’re up on that horse.

Farming in Orr

Posted by: TheRyftLord.5820

TheRyftLord.5820

I think the important thing to note is the major reason why don’t like this sort of thing. It has a tendency to harbor a caustic atmosphere. Someone who is either trying to do the event to completion or doesn’t understand the instructions on how to make the farming method work ends up getting yelled at or cussed out. Can you really blame them for trying discourage this?

Farming in Orr

SkylightMoon.1980

He’s also said he wants to foster a positive community on numerous occasions but you’re here trolling and generally being negative…not sure why you’re up on that horse.

Im actually doing the events the way they are meant to be done and preventing exploitation.

Farming in Orr

Posted by: knives.6132

knives.6132

It’s not an exploit since it’s not breaking any rules. Failure is a legal outcome and part of the game design, and no one used a third party or a bug to make it fail. People are playing by the rules.

It’s not about the intention – their intention is for us to play the game by their rules set upon the world of GW2. I don’t recall any posts/announcement that says we should move heaven and earth to make events successful. I must have missed the memo.

Farming in Orr

Protoavis.9107

Im actually doing the events the way they are meant to be done and preventing exploitation.

By being the direct cause of a toxic environment…..as much as you want to ride that high horse, you’re making the community toxic which the dev’s don’t want. You aren’t the game police, if the dev’s want to change the event they will and I’m willing to bet they’d rather you didn’t actively troll others and do things to intentionally annoy others like you admit you’re actively doing causing a very hostile situation….

Farming in Orr

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

I’m of the opinion that this is the result of poor design. Players crave better rewards, hence we have things like this, so I cannot fault them for that. Harassing other players however is something else….on both ends. Players trying to make the event succeed just to spite those farming are just as bad as those with angst against those trying to succeed.

Much like the ember event I wonder where players clamoring for a nerf will be after one arrives. Will they still be there completing the event after all the farmers leave? I don’t see many trying to complete the ember event now. I actually see it completed less now than it was when the farm was viable, very catch-22ish.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Farming in Orr

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

If the old version of Penn-shelt still existed people wouldn’t have to do this.

I will still do my best to do the events as intended when I’m down that way, but one against a zerg doesn’t always work. And if people in the zerg who are trying to fail the event are abusive to me because I’m trying to do the event as intended…well that’s a quick report. Doing the event as intended is not trolling, btw.

Farming in Orr

Protoavis.9107

Doing the event as intended is not trolling, btw.

It can be if the person is intentionally doing it to disrupt others and annoy them. Essence Snow kind of points that out, there’s a lot of people calling exploit on this, but you know once anet change the event those people won’t be anywhere to see and the event will rarely get done if at all.

Farming in Orr

Posted by: Never.8571

Never.8571

ITT: People who think exploits and bugs are player level, not software level.

Farming in Orr

Posted by: Silberfisch.3046

Silberfisch.3046

I’m not a big fan of failing events on purpose for whatever reason, but unless I need said event for something like a trait (or a followup event for the same reasons), I’m not going to interfere with what people do there.
Others already made it clear why and so I can only add: I also think it’s not an exploit to let an event fail on purpose. It is not playing the game as was originally intended by the designer however.
With the new events in Dry Top you can see a trend towards making the completion of events more rewarding on multiple fronts with the favor of the zephyrites and the spiced up reward for the actual completion in form of additional geodes and sand.
I think it is unreasonable from an economic standpoint for arenanet to revise all existing events in that manner and in a lot of cases simply not practical or makes no sense. So they will go with longer respawn timers or different scaling replacing champions with multiple elite spawns instead.
Would I prefer if they reworked those events to reward completion instead of doing that? Yes, I definitively would. But it is not realistic to expect that.

If you happen to stumble across any typos,
you may keep them to rear new and interesting variants in your basement.

Farming in Orr

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Failure is a legitimate outcome only if you were trying to succeed.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Farming in Orr

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

An exploit is an exploit.. otherwise having a Cof C is pointless. Anyone exploiting the game in order to gain in such a bottomless fashion should face the banhammer and harder the more outrageous they do it.. farming 400+ bags in a session isn’t anything other than personal exploitation of the mechanics, it has nothing to do with helping us all buy materials in the TP.. stop trying to put that smokescreen put there in an attempt to justify cheating the system.
The exploit is out of control, its viral now across the whole player base.. every copy of CS has it running and a plethora of LFG’s pushing the exploit out there even wider.

Smart ideas spread. Again, label it whatever you want to, I consider it just smart play and I’m glad it’s beneficial to me even when I don’t farm open world. If anyone gets banned for this it’ll be a very sad day. Banned for using your brain… sad sad world.

The people giving others grief for trying to finish, sure. I’m not in support of jerks, ban those guys, but just doing things in a smart way?. . .

(edited by Jerus.4350)

Farming in Orr

Posted by: Dramen Maidria.1034

Dramen Maidria.1034

It’s not an exploit since it’s not breaking any rules. Failure is a legal outcome and part of the game design, and no one used a third party or a bug to make it fail. People are playing by the rules.

It’s not about the intention – their intention is for us to play the game by their rules set upon the world of GW2. I don’t recall any posts/announcement that says we should move heaven and earth to make events successful. I must have missed the memo.

Yeah you did, they made an official statement in the Ember Farm thread (which I would quote for the mass of people here in denial) which has been deleted since I just tried to find their post to link it. It was the exact same situation, deliberately failing an event for greater profit. And yes, not trying to complete an event is the same as deliberately causing it to fail, you have the same end goal you’re just using either inaction or action to achieve it. If anyone thinks otherwise they’re either in denial, lying, or outright dumb. I don’t recall who made the post, but it was clearly stated that what was happening with the ember farm, deliberately failing an event for greater personal gain, was not what they intended for the dynamic event system and does not foster a positive community. Hence the Ember Farm was nerfed.

The problem most of you seem to be overlooking is ALL of these events were designed pre champ box. This particular problem was not something they had to worry about during development, and the number of events that could potentially be abused this way when they first added champ boxes is pretty high. Rather than doing it the more effective way the first time this happened and go through all the events to make sure it could never happen again, they fix it event by event. Maybe it saves them time and labor hours this way. Doesn’t matter, the point is that this particular behavior is not what Anet wants for the game, they will eventually nerf it, and if I happen to be doing events in Orr for fun I’m not going to fail to complete them.

Dramen Maidria
Knights of ARES, Dragonbrand
Good times, good memories

(edited by Dramen Maidria.1034)

Farming in Orr

Bloodstealer.5978

And I can’t believe you’re doing the same to make us look like the bad guys. Colin state he likes when people gather and work together, are you going to blame the 74 people teaming up for farming, or the one guy, who doesn’t actually give a d kitten about the event but want to upset people. I think Colin would support the 74.

Farming champs isn’t the issue, in fact its a way of keeping the game live across all maps when certain things are needed for different things and at differing stages of game .. listen to what Colin said.. the issue is intentionally failing the events to keep resetting it – that is more than farming.. its exploiting the game mechanic to your advantage. The event is supposed to be completed and the next stage of the chain commence.. if it fails then sure ANET have dropped the ball and created poor game design element.. but exploiting it is the fault of the player, simple as that.

The only champ train that’s gotten hit was Queensdale but that was not for exploitation it was for toxicity against players wanting to do different things on a low level starter map and not allowing players to basically hit up a new character and just farm Queensdale forever more…. that kind of thing doesn’t happen on high level maps like Cursed Shore and Frosty or at least only on a very minor scale because they are already max level maps where everyone is tending to be doing the same thing a lot of the time.. farming rotations as Colin says is perfectly fine.. but if CS Blix farm exploit is not fixed then the maps will just resort to toxicity ….. like they are already.

BTW to the commander leading that ANTI Failtrain yesterday…. I would love to jump in next time if its something that’s going to be organised on a regular basis – this is what begins to happen – a fractured map community.

No matter how many times you try to paint over it.. its an exploit and those abusing it (many outrageously) deserve to have actions taken against their accounts as has happened previously. Whether ANET have the intestinal fortitude to do something about it is something only time will tell us… until then I am hoping the anti fail zerg I saw yesterday grows stronger and kills the exploiters off as fast as they can jump maps.

Farming in Orr

Bloodstealer.5978

Failure is a legitimate outcome only if you were trying to succeed.

Exactly.. this player gets it ^^

Sure ANET have also screwed up with poorly thought out event design but.. ultimately its the players that choose whether or not to exploit the situation and then post LFG’s to make the exploit go viral through the community.

Farming in Orr

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I haven’t even been in Orr to know what this is about but, there is and should not be anything wrong with intelligently maximizing the profit potential from any game mode. Honestly, you want to punish intelligence? Punish something everyone can be a apart of???? Heck, if maximizing profit potential is a “bad” thing then every player trading and speed clearing should be banned right now.

This incessant whine about being anti-train and anti-farm has got to be labeled for what it is, jealousy. These players simply want zones all for themselves. Never wanting another player enjoying themselves or profiting from the game in any way, shape, or form.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Farming in Orr

Posted by: Faereilos.5106

Faereilos.5106

Blix doesn’t need a nerf. All it takes is one mistake and the farm is over for an hour or more. It doesn’t run 24/7, so profits aren’t very stable. If you can’t stand the farm for whatever reason then feel free to leave/ignore while it’s running. Don’t be a whiteknighting troll and mess up the fun for people who do want to farm. Talk about first world problems yeesh.

Farming in Orr

Posted by: catalystic.1074

catalystic.1074

Please, it’s not jealousy. At least not from me. I hate the atmosphere these “trains” usually bring with them. You want to kill a champ out of order? Play an event and make it succeed? Have fun with the vitriol thrown your way. I personally avoid these maps when I can, I’ll collect what I want on them and leave.

You wouldn’t even have these problems if people weren’t so impatient when it comes to making gold. The NOW mentality needs to stop.

Farming in Orr

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

My two cents on the tunnel farm :
- it is not an exploit, the linen farm relies on the same principle and has been up for a while. Nobody has been banned for farming fireheart rise.
- people play how they want : if they don’t want to complete an event, that is their right to do so.
- THIS WORKS BOTH WAYS! If somebody wants an event to succeed it is his right to complete the event, even if that means kittening off an entire map. Nobody has an entitlement on the outcome of an event.

Conclusion : every single idiot who flames and insult somebody who completed the event at the end of the tunnel should be reported and banned for their own good.

Farming is not forbidden, being toxic is.

Note to dev : make sure champions in both event stop dropping champion bags. Problem solved.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

Farming in Orr

DeWolfe.2174

I hate the atmosphere these “trains” usually bring with them.

You mean a group of people working together for a goal? That is, above all, seems to be the atmosphere anti-social players dislike most. Hence, the reason why the Dev’s need to stop feeding them by catering to every complaint thread.

It’s very easy to pick different Mega Server layers. Specifically choosing to disrupt a large group of players should be the banned offense.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Farming in Orr

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

You mean a group of people working together for a goal?

Even if 99% of the player in a given map want the event to fail and the last 1% want it to succeed, you have no legitimate reason to oppose them. Remember : the game prefers events to succeed rather than to fail.

Thus the 1% is “right” and the 99% are “wrong”.

If 100% of the map want to farm, have fun.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

Farming in Orr

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

On a related topic, isn’t one of the Trait Unlocks locked behind an event that HAS to fail ?

I am sure I remember it being so ( not at home so cant look right now)

Farming in Orr

DeWolfe.2174

Good job at math and morals…… #smh

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Farming in Orr

Trice.4598

You mean a group of people working together for a goal?

Even if 99% of the player in a given map want the event to fail and the last 1% want it to succeed, you have no legitimate reason to oppose them. Remember : the game prefers events to succeed rather than to fail.

If 100% of the map want to farm, have fun.

I don’t mind people willing to do an event for legitimate reasons, but that’s not what is happening, people are only doing the event to grief other players, I tried to understand the logic behind troll/people who grief, however there is no logic behind stupidity.

I want to point out, I don’t think this is how it should be, but seeing how almost nothing in this game reward adequately, players find whatever they can.

If anet would give a certain amount of champion boxes for succeeding an event, depending on the length of it, those farm wouldn’t be so interesting.

(edited by Trice.4598)

Farming in Orr

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Strawman or not, “fixing” the exploitable events will ruin Orr. It was already nerfed horribly before, anything else and going there will become a waste of time. What you’re doing in contributing to ruining a part of the game for some players.

By the way, people have “contributed to ruining a part of the game for some players” . . . two words: Queensdale Train. Among other things.

Orr needs to be looked at closely and redone anyway. There are parts of it which remain completely untouched and several events nobody wants to do because other things are better off. Strait of Devastation is a mess, and the intended design of it runs counter to the current state of the game. Malchor’s Leap has a lot of stuff nobody really does, and Cursed Shore might as well be “the tunnel”.

I really hope there’s some shaking going on with this. starting with rebalancing the events. You want to know how you can do this with existing tech in the game?

Limit champion spawns to X number at Y intervals, then reward the champion bags after a successful completion. Eliminate all other loot except for grey vendor trash (precedent: “Risen Grubs from Risen Giants” – used to drop loot, was quickly patched out as people just farmed infinite grubs).

Problem solved. Do the same for other events which may spawn champions but don’t have world bosses or bonus chests involved.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.