Feedback Thread: Say goodbye to Armor Repairs?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

Reducing the gold drop from Champions and Events will not help new and casual players.

What the game needs is a way for new and non-hardcore players to make enough gold to get around in the game and get some of the stuff they want. 90% of the gold I have was made during Queen’s Gauntlet and Scarlet’s first invasions, and it’s really not much still, and I don’t spend much (don’t own a single set of exotic armor).

I’m glad repair costs are being removed, removing waypoint costs would be awesome as well.

They maybe want to implement a system where you can get better loot instead?
Otherwise, the update isn’t anything, big, just a casual update notes alongside the big changes.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Unforunately this take all the risk out of dungeons. Also the effect on the economy…

Risk in dungeons? My worst dungeon run only cost me 10 silver. Your armor still breaks, it just doesn’t cost to repair it.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Yeah, they definitely needed to choose a different name for the article (when it was locked). Glad I didn’t get my expectations that high for these two.

Also, whats the point of the free trait resets? Wasn’t that pretty much already said/described in the traits article/first article?

Definitely don’t have any hope/joy for the remaining blogs/articles…

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

Why not remove the useless restrictions on ascended gear? The utility for them is the Delete Button, as we can’t salvage, we can’t use on mystic forge, we can’t trade, even if account bound (they already are if not soulbinded), i already own a bank full of them with no idea of what to do with them.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

The economic changes are puzzling. Here we have the removal of two gold sinks, althouhg both of them were insignificant to begin with.

And then we have the removal of a gold faucet in champ boxes, which IMO are moderate.

I must wonder if John Smith realizes that the game was heading towards unintended inflation.

I’m also very curious as to what this ‘variation’ means in terms of the Mystic Forge.

Posted by: Setz.9675

Setz.9675

How about we say goodbye to waypoint costs huh. Now that would be a feature

Posted by: Fire Bullet.9236

Fire Bullet.9236

What a disappointment

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

I feel this is one excuse, really, so much potential that post had for something all community would hype for, i… i… meltdown!

SO MUCH THIS

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Squall.8704

Squall.8704

I’m also very curious as to what this ‘variation’ means in terms of the Mystic Forge.

This is tickling me right now aswell, I need more information haha.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

It wasn’t what I was expecting, to say the least.

I like the removal of armor repair costs.

The nerf to champ train raw gold made my chuckle.

The free trait reset we knew about from the first blogs, so that was sort of a let down.

I’m sort of ‘meh’ on the MF updates. Depends on how effective they are.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

Free anywhere out of combat trait reset is a much more radical feature than it might seem at first. This is almost what a lot of us were pleading for; Build Templates.

We will be able to switch builds on the fly in dungeons between encounters as well as fluidly adjust party composition in WvW.

This is a rather huge feature and one of my favorite additions to the upcoming patch.

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

Aside from account bound WXP, the feature patch has been pretty underwhelming thus far.

Speak for yourself. To me there a more than that to get me excited.

I suppose I like the wardrobe changes considering that I have a pretty robust PvP equipment locker, but I’m skeptical as to how the wardrobe and the dye changes will be tied to the Gem Store.

I don’t have any legendaries, I have very limited Ascended items, and the Rune/Sigil overhaul was long overdue. I was also hoping for some significant balance changes (as in new weapon sets for each class, utilities, elites, etc.) yet all we got were a few traits.

So, yeah… the feature patch hasn’t really met my expectations, especially considering that we’ve waited over five months for it and ANet has constantly nipped any criticisms by stating that this patch would alleviate a lot of them. I’m hesitantly optimistic that the next blog posts will have something fantastic in them, but I’m not going to hold my breath.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Now now lets leave something for the next feature patch :P

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

This blog post should have been a footnote in the patch notes.

Posted by: cephiroth.6182

cephiroth.6182

So the removal of waypoint cost will be next years big feature update?

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

Fascinating…. so WvW really has no opportunity cost anymore for the average zerg player, since the Waypoints are free. I always thought in open world it was a little odd you had to die, pay waypoint, and then pay repair.

Unforunately this take all the risk out of dungeons. Also the effect on the economy…

Taking away the risk of spending 11 silver at worst? Wow, that’s so game breaking.
The only people that was punished by that was the new and inexperienced players, as written in the blog post

Repair costs were punishing the small groups ‘cause they’d be the ones to lose. Removing repair costs helps WvW and reducing gold from champs hurts champ trains. I’m okay with those two things.

If you lose a fight in WvW, the down side is you lost the fight. I don’t believe that people are going to try to stop winning just because there isn’t a gold cost for losing.

Gate of Madness

Posted by: Logos.1306

Logos.1306

It’s obvious that they just wanted to nerf chemp trains. Removing repair cost is a smokescreen.
How much we spend on repairs? 10 s top? And people make gold on chemp trains.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

It’s kind of like balance, if you think about it.

People got excited over the removal of soulbound, so this post needed to keep the excitment in check.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

WP costs are a pretty significant gold sink that I don’t think Anet would want to remove, unless they introduce some other way to combat it

skullmount.1758

This blog post should have been a footnote in the patch notes.

Thats what the last three have felt like. Only the trait and wardrobe ones are actual ‘features’ to me. Everything else could have been just normal patch notes/changes.

Darkhaven server

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

It’s obvious that they just wanted to nerf chemp trains. Removing repair cost is a smokescreen.
How much we spend on repairs? 10 s top? And people make gold on chemp trains.

huh, i dont understand what any of this has to do with champ trains? were people doing champ trains to save money on repair costs? never knew.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

WP costs are a pretty significant gold sink that I don’t think Anet would want to remove, unless they introduce some other way to combat it

They should keep, and maybe increase the repair cost then, but remove the waypoint cost.

skullmount.1758

I was hoping for the removal of the guest limit.

/takes down gold making guide

I was thinking it would be something along those lines as well. Nothing in the article are really restrictions…

Darkhaven server

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

The problem is that WP costs are a tax on all players, no matter how poor or rich. The problem with the economy is not that everyone has too much gold, it’s that a few people have ridiculous amounts of gold while the huge casual player base doesn’t. If I only have 40 gold in total, those 10 silver I have to spend for porting myself around during guild missions really does hurt. If I have 4000 gold, that cost doesn’t bother me anyways.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I’m just confused as to why we will still have armor being damage, if repairing it costs nothing.

That being said……removing restrictions sound so much more….promising, even at it’s worst.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

We’ll be reducing the amount of raw gold that comes out of champion loot bags and events in an effort to keep the economy balanced and spread out player activity a bit.

Wow I’ve been waiting for this feature since launch! (not really).

Also free trait resets, wasn’t this already covered in the trait blog?

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: nibblesalil.3561

nibblesalil.3561

i happen to think this is a great idea saves money ……its all good

although i do agree wp costs like nearly 3 gold per time when you reach level 80 ……… which is a bit ouch tbh

if life is a cabaret old chum ………lets caberet

Posted by: Hwk.6987

Hwk.6987

So… the armour won’t be broken?. If that’s the case, i still have hope for the feature pack. Otherwise. Big slap in the face (Well.. Mostly things are going to be negative. lol)

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I’m just confused as to why we will still have armor being damage, if repairing it costs nothing.

That being said……removing restrictions sound so much more….promising, even at it’s worst.

We feel the time penalty to return and repair accomplishes our goal enough to not need a secondary cost that punishes newer and less experienced players the most.

The repair is there as a penalty.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Rennoko.5731

Rennoko.5731

Risk in dungeons? My worst dungeon run only cost me 10 silver. Your armor still breaks, it just doesn’t cost to repair it.

From the economy, the effect will add up over time of all that gold sitting around that was previously being removed across all player deaths. A lot of people die in WvW, a lot. Champ train gold reduction may offset that, but who really knows until the patch comes out.

I really don’t care one way or the other on the change, I just find it an odd change to make. At best I save a little coin, at worst the net money I bring in is lower because the champ loot bags I get tend to far out wieght the times I die. I don’t see the system helping anyone but the most obtuse of players bashing their head into an event or mob they shouldn’t be fighting anyhow.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I hate to be the negative guy here, but this is the most disappointing blog of all (imho). “removing restrictions” could have been something big, something great (like more weapons for each class). But instead we got things that have nothing to do with “restrictions”. I never considered paying for trait resets and armor repair costs to be a restriction..

Not to mention free trait resets should have been part of the Trait blog to begin with (and frankly I thought it already was).

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Meh. The repair cost is really that restrictive?

This is not “removing” restriction, this is ADDING restriction to how much gold you can get from champions.

I have a dozen stack of Blood Stone dust that my guildmate can use since I won’t be making Ascended item anytime soon. Why keep this restriction? It doesn’t make any sense.

If the goal is to improve the economy, it’s the more reason to remove the Ascended material restrictions.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

I rather keep current system to be honest. Sure repair cost is annoying. But you learn to play better and to not die. And when that moment come you can take bigger risk, versus lower repair cost. But now, all of my daily flows, (some champs but not like champ trains), but HUGE amount of events, will cut my gold a lot. My math says if you do events a lot (wvw, orr, dailies), you will loose 2 gold a day. 2 gold, versus what? 50 silver repair cost in extreme (wvw, raid guild that non stop walks in bigger numbers, Then i had big repair bills, otherwise they are quit low).

This is a bit nerf to farming. Champ bags i might understand (they still drop mats, and such), but event reward? just no. Lvl 80 event in noob zone = 49 copper, that must be nerfed? right. And in Orr 4 silver. 4 silver could be seen as to much, EXCEPT, event often are locked away, or not even spawning. So that if the come along, the reward is well earned, and not over the top.

Nerf champ loot bag gold, but not events. That’s my take in this. The game only becomes more expensive (gems, i look at you, legendary i look at you, t6 mat i look at you, ascended I look at you, etc etc). More expensive and less gold to spend. Result? The resellers again run away with victory. They are sitting on money, they can’t go down. Meanwhile other people will have to struggle to make money. That’s my take on it anyway. I rather have repair cost still in game then, if the nerf is as big as i presume. Especially on events.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I am probably a overall loser from this particular set of changes, I tend to never die on my characters, so armour repairs were tiny from my point of view. Which means with less loot in champion bags, I will be worse off. Still I am okay with it, already opened 10,000’s of champion bags and they are just utterly boring to me now, so whatever…

Removing repair costs will only save money for those who die a lot, everyone else will earn less gold, not just in Queensdale, but WvW, living story events, everywhere there’s a champion.

I hope all those players who stack bags open them up before the 15.4.14, you have no excuse, having over 2 weeks notice.

Hope the mystic toilet is changed back into the mystic forge by the changes, whatever those are…

(edited by Meglobob.8620)

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

For everyone saying this “removes” risk from the game: the monetary penalty was NEVER the risk to begin with. The risk was always, and will always be the “destruction” of your armor(ie: when it becomes broken). The monetary penalty was simply an increased burden that truly has no “place” in the game.

They aren’t changing anything about the repair process aside from the cost. You will still have to seek out a repair vendor when your armor breaks. You will still have to F12 to get out of Fractals to repair.

The core concept is the same; they are just making it more streamlined for new players to the game who might find the monetary penalty off-putting. Just because you have 1000s of gold, doesn’t mean that someone else out there isn’t having issues with a 10s repair bill. Trust me, back in the day when the game was far less rewarding, a 10s repair bill was actually a BIG chunk of that dungeon reward.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Um….

really tiny squeaky voice

….can I have my 250 armor repair canisters compensated?

……I’m kidding, sort of. :-/

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Rennoko.5731

Rennoko.5731

Trust me, back in the day when the game was far less rewarding, a 10s repair bill was actually a BIG chunk of that dungeon reward.

Which is why you did everything you could to not die… and you learned the dungeon the right way, and you spent time working at it. You didn’t just roll in with whatever plan and slam your face into the content.

Sounds like back in the day when we had to walk uphill both ways to school there was quite a bit of risk. I think your pointing out exactly why this is removing risk.

Again to be clear, I don’t care one way or the other… But to say removing the cost is no change in risk, and then turn around and talk about what a big deal that was at XX point in game, just means risk is not viewed the same across income levels. That doesn’t mean the risk isn’t there.

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Lol then i rather have REPAIR COST remains, but ‘must go to npc to do it’, removed. Aka you can repair anywhere in world, but still costs 1,62 silver.

That would be convenience + economy saving. Win win.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I hate to be the negative guy here, but this is the most disappointing blog of all (imho). “removing restrictions” could have been something big, something great (like more weapons for each class). But instead we got things that have nothing to do with “restrictions”. I never considered paying for trait resets and armor repair costs to be a restriction..

Not to mention free trait resets should have been part of the Trait blog to begin with (and frankly I thought it already was).

It was. Quote:

“Refunding Traits

We’ve made a few key changes to the way you can refund your traits:

The button to instantly refund all traits, previously seen only in structured PvP areas, has become game-wide.
Refunding traits is now free across the game: refund your traits any time you’re not in combat or in a competitive PvP match!
A minus button has been added to each trait line directly below the plus button, which allows you to remove a single trait point at a time."

I have to say….I’m not sure why they put ‘Free Trait Resets’ as a headline in today’s blog, as it was already announced in the Trait blog.

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

Um….

really tiny squeaky voice

….can I have my 250 armor repair canisters compensated?

……I’m kidding, sort of. :-/

Hah!

I have a bunch of them sitting in my bank, but never used them anyway because I instantly repaired (the icon near my HP was enough to get me irritated enough to pay instantly instead of wait).

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

I dislike the concept of saying that they felt the trip to repair armor was enough of a penalty, so they removed the cost… And then in the next breath saying that because they removed that cost they need to lower event/loot bag drops.

Isn’t that just moving the penalty somewhere else?1

Posted by: andrew.1798

andrew.1798

This one was extremely underwhelming..

Posted by: anonim.5932

anonim.5932

Why would they get rid of the repair cost but still raising fees for traveling? I can avoid the repair costs by improving my fighting skills. However the traveling fees can’t be avoided. So… why it’s this way and not the other way round?

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

The repair canisters still have uses in fractals, when you can’t repair your armor easily, or if you don’t want to waypoint to repair armor. It’s not useless like trait resets.

Posted by: Gene Archer.8560

Gene Archer.8560

Um, I was under the impression that people ran the champ trains for easy monthly credit/easy bloodstone/easy mats, armor, items, rather than the raw gold, which always seemed on the small side, anyway.

Did I miss something?

Posted by: Truthbearer.9708

Truthbearer.9708

The removal of armor-repair-costs seems like an excuse to nerf rewards from champ bags and events.

And why does Anet act like this is a “feature”? This will just lower people’s gold income moving forward.

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

This is like doubling taxes for mandatory health care coverage, when over 90% of the population is completely healthy in the first place.
You pay half of your salary to get that health care when actually going to a doctor when you are sick would cost you less than 10% of your salary in the first place.

Before, if you played “perfectly” you would never have to pay repair costs. Ever. This was incentive to perfect your skills because it saves money.
Now good players are practically paying extra repair costs, not from gold that comes out of their pocket, but from gold that will never enter their pockets.

However, you have to admit champ trains deserved a nerf. At least we got something decent in exchange for that. I mean, they could have just nerfed champ trains and say deal with it. Also, you cant really say champ train farmers are “perfect players”, or even “good players” for that matter.

I like this change partly. It makes repairs work similar to “-60% death penalty” in gw1, where zoning out would just remove it. But from now on, we can just hit any event boss for enough damage to get credit, then just go AFK because it wont cost us a thing anymore.

I think repairs should cost, because it rewards GOOD players. I think waypoints should be the one without a cost, because it promotes unhelpfulness(going to help my friend at some part of the world costs ME money). Waypoints are way more restrictive than Repairs.

(edited by Turtle Dragon.9241)

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

• The delay in unlocking the ‘Removing Restrictions’ blog after the ‘Account Bound’ blog had been unlocked
  • The odd nature of the contents to where they would be more appropriately mentioned in patch notes and not in a features blog
  • Repeating the trait reset change after it had already been outlined in detail in the Trait Changes blog

…Sounds to me like the blog was supposed to be about something else that was actually relating to ‘Removing Restrictions’ that got delayed or scrapped at the last minute and these few footnotes were thrown together.

We would notice if a hotly speculated on topic just disappeared. Suddenly removing the ‘Removing Restrictions’ blog from the list shortly before it was meant to be revealed would cause a lot of people to wonder what it was going to be about. But replacing it with scrap patch note changes and even repeating a change that had already been revealed and discussed seems like the less damaging way of scrapping an idea without anyone being the wiser.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

I personally don’t get all of the complaining. Nothing here hurts anyone besides the minor nerf to the raw gold in champ bags (which hurting the champ farming is good imho) and the minor nerf to even money earned. The trait reset (even though we already knew this) is huge, and definitely a good thing for advanced players that want to change their builds in the field and do so quite frequently.

Why do people feel the need to complain when the changes are good, but not as good as you thought they might be? Seriously quit complaining. If you complain all the time they will never take us seriously on the big issues because they will just think “Well the complained when we removed costs, so their complaints on increasing costs of waypoints is probably as equally invalid”.

Stop the negativity…. for real.

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

I’m quite happy with alot of the new changes that have come about with this feature patch, but this recent change of Armor Repair Costs and a few other things have irked me a bit in the way that although ANet is catering more to the casuals, I think they are holding their hand a bit -too- much.

The only incentive you had to improve play when you died, was suffering through the humiliating wallet reducing repair costs. And if you played bad, they could get pretty high up there.

With the Queensdale Champ train still at large catering to some of the laziest players I could possibly find in the game, coupled with now anything that a player doesn’t bother to learn properly, won’t suffer more than a minor inconvenience for playing bad. There is no incentive for them NOT to be lazy or not care about improving. They have nothing to lose.

Back earlier in this game where coin wasn’t easily obtainable and only higher end content yielded any sort of reward, would have benefited from this change most. Since although you wouldn’t be penalized for doing bad in open world, in order for you to get anything noteworthy, you still had to learn and coordinate properly in things like dungeons.

There’s less and less incentive for people to learn their skills and characters properly, and although a nerf to the champ bags is happening, it doesn’t truly solve the issue. These skill-less trains will still occur as long as they are promoted as the care-bear method of getting what you need with minimal effort.

I’m not against this change, but I’m not for it with how the game is currently shaped the way it is. I’m hoping that there will be more ways to get people to learn to play properly and engage in higher level content and areas. The trait revamp was an ever so slight step in the right direction but still not enough to sway the balance.

Regardless, I feel there’s absolutely no risk for the rewards now and will only devalue content (especially ‘challenging’ content) as long as this trend continues.

Duty is heavier than death.