Focus on the gem-store bad for the game?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

A lot of guild-members got a mini pack that had 3 Holographic mini’s in them. The reason they got it because they both 500 gems somewhere between the release of the game and this was ArenaNet’s way to ’thank’them for the support.

Now I do not buy anything from in-game stores. Thats why I buy a B2P game and not a F2P game because of this sort of things. And F2P games that are doing there best to get people buying stuff from there. Hate that, so I go for a B2P game. (To bad GW2 is now also doing that more and more.. but that was expected as there is still no expansion announced. B2P games should run on the game and expansion).

Anyway, in stead of buying stuff in the gemstores I do want to support ArenaNet and so I buy the collectors edition. You know, the one that cost 105 Euro more then the normal game (how many gems can you buy for that?). But not you are smacking all those players in the face. What paying more for the game but not buying gems… You get nothing.

So my questions.. did you just forget about those people and will they still get it? Would be nice.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Collectors edition got other stuff… also its completely worthless minis. They could have given us a single crystaline dust and I’d have been more happy – at least that I could have sold.

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

I have difficulty understanding your problem.
-Did you not get something extra in the collector’s edition or did you throw them away?
-Did you know you can convert gold to gems?
-Are these mini’s providing legendary bonuses that allow them an unfair advantage over other player?

Devata.6589

Collectors edition got other stuff… also its completely worthless minis. They could have given us a single crystaline dust and I’d have been more happy – at least that I could have sold.

Gem buyers also got other stuff. You know like the gems and they stuff they did buy with the gems.

And you might not want them but I would like them.

Devata.6589

I have difficulty understanding your problem.
-Did you not get something extra in the collector’s edition or did you throw them away?
-Did you know you can convert gold to gems?
-Are these mini’s providing legendary bonuses that allow them an unfair advantage over other player?

1 Like i said to the other person. Yes I got some other stuff, just like the gem-buyers got gems. BTW the ingame material you got for the CE was kinda bad.. the ‘real’ material was very cool. In ‘real’ material it was the best CE I ever saw but looking at ‘ingame material’ the worst. but back to the point. Main reason I did go for the CE was because I knew I was not gonna buy gems with money so thats my way of supporting. And I guess they did make more money on the CE version then on the normal version.

2 Yeah and I did that. That does not count for getting the mini’s. And I do understand that because in that way you do not support them. Like you do when buying a CE of buyin gems with real money.

3 No, what has that anything to do with what I am saying?

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I bought the collectors edition because of how much I loved GW1. :o
Bought gems for a similar reason.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Gem buyers also got other stuff. You know like the gems and they stuff they did buy with the gems.

- People buy gems and got something extra.
- You buy CE and get something extra, but you want even more extra?

How about you give me that Rytlock statue you got and I’ll shoot you a few bucks to buy some minis.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

You already got your extra reward when you bought a Collector’s Edition. That is the whole point of buying the Collector’s Edition. For the bonus rewards that Standard Edition players don’t get.

The Mini Pack was a gift to those who have CONTINUED to support Anet. Which you haven’t done. You bought your Collector’s Edition and were rewarded appropriately for that. You are not entitled to bonus rewards after you have already been rewarded.

The people being rewarded the Free Mini Pack are being rewarded cause they are STILL giving Anet money and continuing to do so, thus continuing to support the company.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Elidath.5679

Elidath.5679

People paid for gems and got gems (what they paid for) and free, unexpected extra.
Some other people paid for CE (which is game + some billed extra), got exactly what they paid for, and nothing else.
That’s his gripe, I think. Even more if (like I suspect) it was preorder. What means more “I want to support this game, I’m a loyal customer” than paying for something beforehand, without garanty of quality ?

Now, I myself don’t think much of this, but I understand some can be, let’s say, not optimaly happy.

Posted by: Grim.6415

Grim.6415

The good news is the free mini’s are not unique. You can just convert a bit more gold to gems and get them without spending any additional money.

Think about it like this. If you went to an amusement park and paid the admission fee would you be mad that only those that spent additional money on ride tickets were rewarded months later by a stuffed animal in the mail?

kokocabana.8153

The point is that everyone had to buy the game at some point. You paid a little more for the CE edition and got some real and ingame things. Even if you consider ingame items worthless, you still got something real. I bought the regular edition and only convert gold to gems. I think it’s nice of them to reward loyal supporters of the game even though I won’t receive it. Plus, you can always get the minis in the gem store on your own.

My question now is why aren’t people that bought the CE and also spent real money on gems getting something even better?

Devata.6589

It looks like people are forgetting something. You can buy the deluxe edition for gems. Buying the collections edition is in a way buying that + the ‘real’ stuff. But if I would not buy the CE and I would buy the Deluxe version with gems I would have got the thing from ArenaNet. That is not a little strange? I basically both the same but in another way. Then to answer your questions.

How about you give me that Rytlock statue you got and I’ll shoot you a few bucks to buy some minis.

What extra? I did buy the Collecters Edition and got the Collectors Edition. People did buy gems and got the gems… and now get this for supporting ArenaNet. You know like I did buy buying the CE. Or at least that was one of the reasons. So no I did not get anything extra and I would not ask for it if it was not that now people got it for buying gems… in this B2P game.

You already got your extra reward when you bought a Collector’s Edition. That is the whole point of buying the Collector’s Edition. For the bonus rewards that Standard Edition players don’t get.

The Mini Pack was a gift to those who have CONTINUED to support Anet. Which you haven’t done. You bought your Collector’s Edition and were rewarded appropriately for that. You are not entitled to bonus rewards after you have already been rewarded.

The people being rewarded the Free Mini Pack are being rewarded cause they are STILL giving Anet money and continuing to do so, thus continuing to support the company.

You are all saying the same wrong thing. I did not get any extra reward when I bought the CE. I got the CE. Just like the gem buyers got the gems. We both got what we paid for and we both paid more then we needed. And now ArenaNet is thanking the people for paying more then they needed. Wekk a few of them. “The Mini Pack was a gift to those who have CONTINUED to support Anet.” nonsense. If you would buy the Deleuxe Edition with gems the day after release you would have got it. Even if you did not buy any gems after that. They give the gift for the extra support not for the continued support. Beside that, who says I would not continue supporting. I had hoped there would be an expansion after a year (seems like there is none) but when there will be I will buy another CE version of the expansion (if that will be available). You are not entitled to bonus rewards after you have already been rewarded. With that reasoning nobody should have got it if they only spend gems months ago. But also those people did. And once again I got rewarded with the CE, just like the gem buyers got rewarded with the gems and fact stays that many of the CE buyers spend more on that then the gem0buyers spend on the gems.

“The people being rewarded the Free Mini Pack are being rewarded cause they are STILL giving Anet money and continuing to do so, thus continuing to support the company.” You repaid yourself so read back. No it has nothing to do with still giving Anet money because it was for everybody who ever got gems and CE buyers might also buy CE expansion so you can’t say they do not still support Anet just because they did not buy gems.

Devata.6589

People paid for gems and got gems (what they paid for) and free, unexpected extra.
Some other people paid for CE (which is game + some billed extra), got exactly what they paid for, and nothing else.
That’s his gripe, I think. Even more if (like I suspect) it was preorder. What means more “I want to support this game, I’m a loyal customer” than paying for something beforehand, without garanty of quality ?

Now, I myself don’t think much of this, but I understand some can be, let’s say, not optimaly happy.

Exactly. The CE was only available as pre-order and it was even sold out in our country hours after the release so I had to go to a shop that imported it from another game. The reason I do not like it is not only because of missing the mini’s but also just because it’s like a slap in the face for the CE buyers and because one of the reasons I went for GW2 was because it was B2P and not F2P. But this sort of actions are something for F2P games. I also did not like the ‘aggressive’ marketing techniques to try to get people buying stuff from it. You know like putting stuff in there for a limited time. There is a reason why people go for B2P not for F2P. And I understand that Anet wants to make more money but then come with an expansion. If you lose members you will also make less money so those techniques work in the short run but might haunt you in the ling run. Anyway, this is just one more of those things. And I simply think it is unfair.

The good news is the free mini’s are not unique. You can just convert a bit more gold to gems and get them without spending any additional money.

Think about it like this. If you went to an amusement park and paid the admission fee would you be mad that only those that spent additional money on ride tickets were rewarded months later by a stuffed animal in the mail?

No, but I might be mad if I also spend extra money but not with ride tickets but with a vip entree ticket.

My question now is why aren’t people that bought the CE and also spent real money on gems getting something even better?

Simple, for the same reason as they also do not make a difference between those people who did buy 500 gems or those who did buy 5000 gems. They just thank you for ‘the support’.

I hope answered everybody’s question. So you guys really think my question is so strange?

Posted by: Grim.6415

Grim.6415

Maybe Anet can make you happy by offering a better 1 year anniversary reward based on the edition of the game you bought. Maybe a rarer mini or something. Why don’t you put that in the suggestion forums.

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

I preordered as well, and I got what i paid for. The game 3 days early, my ring and 7 days bank access golem. OP got what they paid for as well. I fail to see an issue here.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: AlietteFaye.7316

AlietteFaye.7316

I enjoy staring at my Rytlock statue every day. He’s still in my box, nice and pretty. I do think that a few more in-game items would have been great, but I knew what I was getting into when I got the CE anyway.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

Devata.6589

Maybe Anet can make you happy by offering a better 1 year anniversary reward based on the edition of the game you bought. Maybe a rarer mini or something. Why don’t you put that in the suggestion forums.

But I do not ask for any extra so I would not be asking for something like that at the 1 year anniversary. It’s just that now suddenly gem supporters get something for supporting with gems but CE supporters or indeed pre-order (even they did not really pay more) supporters did not. IT;s more the difference they made why I made the post not because I need an extra. Then I would have made a post a long time ago.

I preordered as well, and I got what i paid for. The game 3 days early, my ring and 7 days bank access golem. OP got what they paid for as well. I fail to see an issue here.

The problem is that some ‘supporters’ get some present for supporting and other supporters don’t. Would not mind if all of the supporters got nothing, would even be better this being a B2P game but if you do, and I understand that they wanna do, then give it to all supporters in stead of only to the gem-store-supporters. I think they simply forgot that there where other ways that people supported then just buy buying gems.

I enjoy staring at my Rytlock statue every day. He’s still in my box, nice and pretty. I do think that a few more in-game items would have been great, but I knew what I was getting into when I got the CE anyway.

Yeah same for me. But again. I did know what I was getting and thats fine. I did not ask for something extra. The problem is the difference. The gem-buyers also got what they pay for.. and now more. It’s the gem-store focus that is the big problem behind this. Just come with a nice expansion so I can give money that way in stead of the gem-store marketing.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t buy collectors editions for an extra thank you. I buy them because I want the stuff inside the box. It probably hasn’t occurred to you OP, but Anet probably doesn’t make much more off the sale of a collectors edition than they do off the sale of a downloadable normal sale.

The reason is because they keep all the profit if you buy directly from them,but they have to cut in various retailers if you buy the collectors edition. In other words, buying a bunch of gems supports the company far more.

Anyway, envy is a lousy emotion. Anet did something nice for people who bought gems. You yourself refuse to support a company in that way. I’m not sure you have grounds for complaint.

Posted by: iCryptik.1496

iCryptik.1496

I don’t buy collectors editions for an extra thank you. I buy them because I want the stuff inside the box.

This.

Anet makes its money from micro transactions.

Alshazzär
Tarnished Coast [TC]

Devata.6589

I don’t buy collectors editions for an extra thank you. I buy them because I want the stuff inside the box.

This.

You do not buy gems for an extra, you buy gems for the stuff you want to buy for them.

And F2P game make money with micro transactions. B2P games should not focus on micro transactions. It should be a nice extra for them. B2P game should make money on selling the game and expansion.. you know thats why is if B2P.

“The reason is because they keep all the profit if you buy directly from them,but they have to cut in various retailers if you buy the collectors edition. In other words, buying a bunch of gems supports the company far more.”
Who do you think that pays those extra cost? They person who buys so for ArenaNet it should not make a big difference.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This.

You do not buy gems for an extra, you buy gems for the stuff you want to buy for them.

And F2P game make money with micro transactions. B2P games should not focus on micro transactions. It should be a nice extra for them. B2P game should make money on selling the game and expansion.. you know thats why is if B2P.

“The reason is because they keep all the profit if you buy directly from them,but they have to cut in various retailers if you buy the collectors edition. In other words, buying a bunch of gems supports the company far more.”
Who do you think that pays those extra cost? They person who buys so for ArenaNet it should not make a big difference.

You must have been absent the day that Anet said (and they said it more than one) that microtransactions were part of their business model.

No company can offer enough content to be competitive on JUST box sales. Even if they made and sold expansions to Guild Wars 1….it was a different era. Sure that supported the 50 people they had working there.

Well guess what. It’s new offices 300 plus people, more competition. It’s not the same market. The budget to make games is huge. Voice acting alone is ridiculous. Why do you think SWToR was the most expensive MMO ever made.

The risk is huge. Box sales alone aren’t going to cut it. Not in this day and age.

Posted by: Araziel.7201

Araziel.7201

Hey, Anet, I didn’t buy a collectors edition, but I did buy gems and received the free holographic pets. Does that mean I get the stuff from the collectors edition too now. I think that’s really messed up if I don’t.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

This.

Only so many people will buy and play the game. There is a peak, then a slope downward because there is no further purchase needed. When large content updates come they do bring in more people, but as you can see they have discounted the price. B2P games do not survive off box sales alone, this is common sense. With all due respect I don’t think you understand business models very well, or how a B2P thrives. And keep in mind it is very possible our expansions will be free, at no cost, and if so you can again thank micro-transactions.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

The sense of entitlement is strong with this one.

It was known well ahead of launch that the gem store was a prime feature of ANet’s business model for this game, so trying to make a distinction between B2P and F2P as the OP is doing is pointless. Gem sales provide ongoing financial support to the game beyond that given by making the initial purchase of the game.

For the record, I pre-purchased the digital deluxe edition because I was willing to support the company prior to the game’s launch. I bought a small amount of gems after launch to further show my support and because I could afford it at the time. In neither case did I expect further recognition or reward from my purchases, but I think it is a nice gesture that gem buyers have received a gift from ANet as thanks.

Devata.6589

You must have been absent the day that Anet said (and they said it more than one) that micro-transactions were part of their business model. I probably was. But yeah if you have a gem-store and make some extra money with it then it is part of your business model.

But if you sell your game as a B2P game the focus should not be on the gem-store but on the game and the expansions. What is a real problem in this game is that people can not farm for items but they need to farm for gold. Thats the worst way of farming possible or like a guild-member said after they removed the skelk farming. “I want to play this game but they do not let me play the game”.

Now the farming for gold be be there because they tried to have no farming in it and failed on that making it a gold-farming game. But it might also be because of the gem-store. You can buy gold with gems so there is a reason to buy gems. If thats the case it would be really bad for the game and not work because it is scaring people away. I also saw a lot of raging about the temporary available stuff in the gem-store and thats just an aggressive marketing tactic. So it shows how the focus on a gem-store is bad for a game especially in a game that people did buy partly because it was B2P. So if they want more money just come an expansion. Yeah also make some money with the gem-store but don’t focus on that. Focus on the expansion and have the gem-store as an extra. But now with rewarding gem buyers for buying gem-buyers and leaving other supporters out is just rude.

“No company can offer enough content to be competitive on JUST box sales. Even if they made and sold expansions to Guild Wars 1….it was a different era. Sure that supported the 50 people they had working there.” The biggest difference that the price for hosting a server is not that expensive anymore. Most games (like signle-player) make there money with box sales and yeah in an MMO they have to keep supporting it but those single-player games need to start making a whole new game for the next release so they lose the same time. MMO’s need to support and make an expansion. It’s nonsense to think they need the gem-stores. Business would like you to believe they need it but it’s just good money, they do not ‘need’ it and it often destroys a game and thats bad money.

“Voice acting alone is ridiculous. Why do you think SWToR was the most expensive MMO ever made.” Yeah it is. To bad because I do not even like the PS and most voice acting when into that in GW2. I would not miss it but again.. all games that make there money with only the box have the same. Box sales can easily cut it, gem-store is a nice extra.

Hey, Anet, I didn’t buy a collectors edition, but I did buy gems and received the free holographic pets. Does that mean I get the stuff from the collectors edition too now. I think that’s really messed up if I don’t.

So the mini is ‘stuff from the gems’? But yeah you can buy stuff from the CE with the gems.

“And keep in mind it is very possible our expansions will be free” I don’t hope so because then it would become a F2P game and yes then you need micro-transactions else you don’t.

The sense of entitlement is strong with this one.

It was known well ahead of launch that the gem store was a prime feature of ANet’s business model for this game, so trying to make a distinction between B2P and F2P as the OP is doing is pointless. Gem sales provide ongoing financial support to the game beyond that given by making the initial purchase of the game.

For the record, I pre-purchased the digital deluxe edition because I was willing to support the company prior to the game’s launch. I bought a small amount of gems after launch to further show my support and because I could afford it at the time. In neither case did I expect further recognition or reward from my purchases, but I think it is a nice gesture that gem buyers have received a gift from ANet as thanks.

You are all talking about initial purchase I keep talking about expansions. And I did not ask for a reward but doing it for the gem guys and no the other ones (that might even paid much more) that I personally consider just rude. But maybe they just forgot. If they want more money, stop the gem-store focus and get the expansion.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

“Greetings everyone,
I was wondering how many of you would be willing to purchase small expansion packs each month? I am only level 11 and I’m already worried about “finishing” the game too soon, please don’t hate me for writting that, but that’s just how I feel.
I think that arena net could introduce small content updates, like mounts, new events, quests, races etc… through the black lion trading company, you could buy certain single or a bunch of contents for gems. I woukdn’t mind paying 5-10 euros each month, to help the developer and the game and of course my interest to grow.
What are your opinions on this?
See you ingame, cheers”

“No need to buy them, Gw2 will feature consistent free content updates and in-game events going forward. Our goal is to make it so you get more from Gw2 for free than you get from a game you pay a subscription for.
On top of a large amount of free bonus content, we will be expanding on offerings in the Black Lion Trading Company going forward, as well as be doing large-scale expansion content down the road.
We’ll cover a lot of the details on the kind of support and plans we have in place over the next month or so on the Gw2 blog and with our press partners.
We do appreciate that you’d like to buy lots of new content, but we’d prefer to give a lot of it to you for free, cause that’s what we think a responsible MMO company does! ~Colin Johanson”

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Guild-wars-2-content-update/first#post86706

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

A lot of guild-members got a mini pack that had 3 Holographic mini’s in them. The reason they got it because they both 500 gems somewhere between the release of the game and this was ArenaNet’s way to ’thank’them for the support.

Now I do not buy anything from in-game stores. Thats why I buy a B2P game and not a F2P game because of this sort of things. And F2P games that are doing there best to get people buying stuff from there. Hate that, so I go for a B2P game. (To bad GW2 is now also doing that more and more.. but that was expected as there is still no expansion announced. B2P games should run on the game and expansion).

Anyway, in stead of buying stuff in the gemstores I do want to support ArenaNet and so I buy the collectors edition. You know, the one that cost 105 Euro more then the normal game (how many gems can you buy for that?). But not you are smacking all those players in the face. What paying more for the game but not buying gems… You get nothing.

So my questions.. did you just forget about those people and will they still get it? Would be nice.

As a Collector’s Edition owner, I’d like to chime in on this one.
>I currently have a 1.5ft tall Rytlock statue on my shelf with a tin box case with an etched map of Tyria as a backdrop behind him.
>On a shelf on the other side I have a white-painted wooden frame print of what I can only determine to be the Durmand Priory.
>Four other prints are in custom frames in different sections of my walls.
>My desktop contain the music of Guild Wars 2 (more than just those in the CE, but still those too).
>In-game I’ve got a mini Rytlock in my bank, I’ve given my guild 2,000 influence through a commendation, and every character that I have already or will create in the future have a rare starter ring and a 5-day bank access from anywhere in the world.

Did I get my money’s worth from the Collector’s Edition? Yes. Does A.Net owe me anything beyond that for “paying more”? No.

As for this GIFT (something they were not obligated to do at all), it was done for those who have continued to support the development of this game’s additional content by purchasing stuff from the digital store. That’s CONTINUED SUPPORT. The box was paid for by the box purchase, the additional content was paid for by gem store. And thus the minis were a gift to additional content purchasers, not box purchasers. Thank you, have a nice day.

Araziel.7201

So the mini is ‘stuff from the gems’? But yeah you can buy stuff from the CE with the gems.

And you can buy the mini’s with gems too. They are in the store now. Wasn’t like we got some special unique reward like early access and a Rytlock toy.

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

He’s not asking for gems he didn’t buy. He’s asking for the extra gift that was given because he too supported the game via extra purchases.

Devata.6589

Did I get my money’s worth from the Collector’s Edition? Yes. Does A.Net owe me anything beyond that for “paying more”? No.

As for this GIFT (something they were not obligated to do at all), it was done for those who have continued to support the development of this game’s additional content by purchasing stuff from the digital store. That’s CONTINUED SUPPORT. The box was paid for by the box purchase, the additional content was paid for by gem store. And thus the minis were a gift to additional content purchasers, not box purchasers. Thank you, have a nice day.

Nice that you leave your reaction. To bad that you did not read my previous post. Because I already debunked the whole continued support nonsense. But I will repeat myself again. For you. Everybody who for example did buy the deluxe edition with gems the day after release and did not buy any gems after that did also get the gems. No continued support. And secondly who does day I do not continue my support? I do, if they release an expansion I will buy that and if possible that will again be the CE edition. So gem-buyers are NOT only people who CONTINUED SUPPORT. And I will continue support if they give me the change to do it the way I like. That is to buy the game. Not so strange that that is my preferred way with a Buy to Play game.

“Did I get my money’s worth from the Collector’s Edition? Yes. Does A.Net owe me anything beyond that for “paying more”? No."

And I also said that I did not feel like Anet owned me anything (well they should fix bugs and stuff) but Anet does also not owe gem-buyers anything. I did get what I paid for and the gem-buyers got what they payed for. And we both gave something extra to Anet in our way. The problem that I have is that now the gem-buers get something extra for that extra they did and the CE buys do not get something extra for that extra. And then there is the underlaying problem that the focus becomes to much on the gem-store and that is is bad for the whole game. Good example now is the achievement for moa racer. Win 3 races. 1/5 change to win so about 15 bets = 7,5 gold to buy the achievement. Somehow I have the feeling that is in there just to drain money and that might be to try and sell more gems. Try to sell expansion, don’t ‘edit’ the game to sell gems, edit the game to make it better.

So next time first read everything because then you might also add something to the topic. Thank you, and also have a nice day.

Devata.6589

And you can buy the mini’s with gems too. They are in the store now. Wasn’t like we got some special unique reward like early access and a Rytlock toy.

Do you really not get it? You payed for those gems and got those gems + something extra. I paid for the Rytlock toy + early access and got the Rytlock toy + early access. The reason why we both did buy more then ‘needed’ was because of the things we did buy (gems, Rytlock toy) and partly (at least for me) for some extra support. You got a “thank you” for that extra support CE support did not. That is rude. And ingame the CE buyers did not get anything unique. Personally I think the reason they did this is 1 just a mistake.. simply forgot about the CE buyers and 2th because of the gem-store focus lately and that is becoming more and more of a problem in the game imho. So that brings you to the underlaying problem of that. But I did say enough about that in other comments so leave it to that.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

The minis were given out to people that have kept supporting the game.
Simple as that.

Buying the CE back in the days gave them some extra money over the standard edition, but far from enough to keep the game alive for a year. The the ones keeping GW2 alive is the ones that buys gems, simple as that.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

kokocabana.8153

Box sales go towards recouping development/publisher costs. Gems sales go towards maintaining the game after launch.

@Devata
Do you think that whatever real goodies like rylock figure did not cost them money to make and ship to you? You make it sound like you paid more and got the same thing as players that only bought the regular edition. Players that used real money to buy gems and then bought the CE would be supporting the game after launch because they are buying gems. Plus they don’t receive any extra real goodies like a rylock figure.

(edited by kokocabana.8153)

Araziel.7201

Do you really not get it? You payed for those gems and got those gems + something extra. I paid for the Rytlock toy + early access and got the Rytlock toy + early access. The reason why we both did buy more then ‘needed’ was because of the things we did buy (gems, Rytlock toy) and partly (at least for me) for some extra support. You got a “thank you” for that extra support CE support did not. That is rude. And ingame the CE buyers did not get anything unique. Personally I think the reason they did this is 1 just a mistake.. simply forgot about the CE buyers and 2th because of the gem-store focus lately and that is becoming more and more of a problem in the game imho. So that brings you to the underlaying problem of that. But I did say enough about that in other comments so leave it to that.

I get you just fine. You are complaining over a purchase 10+ months old and still wanting free stuff for it. I guess everyone gets a round of free pets since we all supported the game and bought it in one shape or another.

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

I can understand from where different people are coming. That doesn’t mean that I agree, but I can understand. I think the core of this thread is pretty simple.

The OP’s topic title posed the following question:

“Collectors Edition supports getting anything? [sic]”

The in-game email from Anet, in part, reads:

“Because you purchased gems through our Gem Store or via a Guild Wars 2 Gem Card between the launch of Guild Wars 2 and June 9, 2013, please enjoy the attached gift from ArenaNet.”

From this, the answer to the OP’s question is no.

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

What is your problem? The gem store is a way to get support for the game and to sell items that players would want.. It is no different than the freakin store they had for gw1. What you think you’re only support of the game is just to buy the collectors edition? What happens between now and a expansion? Have you heard they were working on one? no you haven’t. I bought the collectors edition as well and yes I have bought gems.. Why? Cause I don’t mind spending money on a game I like and plan on playing for years to come and 5 character slots just wasn’t enough. Why is it when a company wants to show their appreciations to parts of the community the other parts start this “Im entitled” to whatever they got bs? The collectors edition got way more items with it than we got for buying gems.. Stuff that they didn’t even have to give. It is really pathetic that people seem to feel they need to begrudge others for things they have gotten because of simple things they do. Not counting the fact the gift was unexpected. I didn’t expect to log in and find a box of mini pets..

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Posted by: ginkoneverends.7082

ginkoneverends.7082

Oh look yet another entitlement thread. yay.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

For pete’s sake. I bought the DE Edition. According to some of the logic in this thread, supposedly I went above and beyond to support ArenaNet. Even though, I was under the impression I bought extra goodies…for me.

I also bought gems, many times….many times.

I have not received any minis, nor have I cried over that. Since they have stated they are sending out minis in waves…

‘These are being given out in waves to avoid a strain on our mailing birds. They are not super birds!’ https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/devtracker

….either I have not received them yet, or I won’t be getting them. No biggie, as I am an adult and I can accept ArenaNet’s decision about who deserves free minis and who doesn’t. If I never receive them, I am no worse off before any were sent out.

I have to wonder…sometimes.

Posted by: Torpian.9142

Torpian.9142

You are all saying the same wrong thing.

I don’t think anyone will be able to convince Devata on this one. He thinks he’s entitled to something and that’s all that really matters.

Wardens of Myth, Tarnished Coast

Posted by: pantsburgh.4902

pantsburgh.4902

Are we sure this is even how it’s actually working? I know I bought 800 gems and I know I didn’t receive any minis.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Lol, Mini’s. It’s a marketing ploy plain and simple. Fall for it, don’t fall for it. Just creates more brand loyalty and retention on one side, and resentment on the other. One of these days Anet will have to learn how not to separate the playerbase. Or not.

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

And you might not want them but I would like them.

Hehe, funniest part of the thread (up untill I gave up that is). No saving this dude…

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Posted by: captaincrash.6528

captaincrash.6528

Yep! You got the game, that you paid for, plus the extras, that you paid for. I didn’t complain to Bethesda when I bought Skyrim years ago however long it was now, and now all people who buy the game get the DLC for free. This is business; this is how these things work.

Crash ~ Charr Reaper

Devata.6589

I don’t buy collectors editions for an extra thank you. I buy them because I want the stuff inside the box. It probably hasn’t occurred to you OP, but Anet probably doesn’t make much more off the sale of a collectors edition than they do off the sale of a downloadable normal sale.

The reason is because they keep all the profit if you buy directly from them,but they have to cut in various retailers if you buy the collectors edition. In other words, buying a bunch of gems supports the company far more.

Anyway, envy is a lousy emotion. Anet did something nice for people who bought gems. You yourself refuse to support a company in that way. I’m not sure you have grounds for complaint.

I did think of that but there was no other way to do it. They could have put 500 gems in the CE, that would not go to retailers. I do still think they made more on CE version then regal sale but no way to be sure, just like there is no ware to be sure they did not. I refuse them to support them in the gem-store way but not in addition ways (like CE version / expansions) what seems like a fair reason for a B2P game. Furthermore it has nothing to do with envy. that would mean I was mad at the people who did get it and you do not hear me complaining about them do you? And like I also mentioned many times. A lot of the ‘bad decisions’ that are being made and are not good for the game seem to be directly related to the gem-store. So they do thinks in the game that are not good for the game but that they hope will get people to buy more gems, or so it seems. That was something I was thinking of making a thread about before, but then this came up.

Anyway, I think my point is pretty clear about the focus on the gem-store and they way it is rude to ‘thank’ part of the people for extra support and not ‘thanking’ the other half for extra support. If nobody got a thank you it would also have been fine.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Perhaps, if you email Customer Support, and include some real virtual tears with your plea, they will recognize your magnanimous gesture of buying a CE, and send you a pack of Holographic Dragon Bash minis.

support@arenanet.com

Good luck. =)

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Are we sure this is even how it’s actually working? I know I bought 800 gems and I know I didn’t receive any minis.

I purchased a fair lot of gems, but i got the mini’s i’d seek support and see why you didn’t, especially if if you have proof..

Devata.6589

Box sales go towards recouping development/publisher costs. Gems sales go towards maintaining the game after launch.

@Devata
Do you think that whatever real goodies like rylock figure did not cost them money to make and ship to you? You make it sound like you paid more and got the same thing as players that only bought the regular edition. Players that used real money to buy gems and then bought the CE would be supporting the game after launch because they are buying gems. Plus they don’t receive any extra real goodies like a rylock figure.

“Box sales go towards recouping development/publisher costs. Gems sales go towards maintaining the game after launch.” Also covered this idea. At least react on what I am saying in stead off repeating something that I already answered on. Single player games also make money on only the box sales. Yeah they have ‘less’ maintaining cost but they do have more cost on developing a whole new game while an MMO can do with a good expansion. That kinda level things out.

“Do you think that whatever real goodies like rylock figure did not cost them money " Of course it did. Do you think designing the items you buy with the gem-store do not cost stuff. Do part of your money go’s into the development / goodies cost, part is profit. Do I think they made more profit on the CE then on the regular. Yes I do, or at least I hope because for many people buying a CE is also a show of there appreciation.

“. Players that used real money to buy gems and then bought the CE would be supporting the game after launch because they are buying gems. Plus they don’t receive any extra real goodies like a rylock figure.” And once again.. after launch.. Yeah factually you be correct but that could be 10 min after launch and then they did not buy anything anymore. And those people do not get the goodies but then again, they pay 25 euro for there deluxe addition but the CE buyers did pay about 105 Euro on top of the normal price. So don’t be afraid, the CE buyers did pay extra for those goodies and I do believe they made some extra money out of the extra 105 Euro the CE buyers paid extra.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

I bought 3 CEs. Two for me, one for my daughter.

I didn’t buy them to “support the game”. I bought them because of the items they offered which I am still using today in game when I roll alts.

I have 43 characters slots. That’s 33 extra. You can do the math.

I have also bought gems for a variety of things since release, on a monthly, on-going basis. I won’t go into how much I have spent, this game is my only hobby at the moment.

Again, I didn’t do that to “support the game” I bought the character slots and the gems to get things I wanted to use.

“Supporting the game” is something I do in game, on various forums, reporting bugs, making suggestions, reporting bots, reporting ToS violations, promoting the game to others with a clear, non-fanboi, objective perspective.

I do that as well for my own benefit.

If ANet and the community gets something from that, awesome. That makes me happy.

I don’t expect anything for playing the game the way I like.

And I certainly would not demand it.

- Just a fellow, non-entitled player

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Devata.6589

The minis were given out to people that have kept supporting the game.
Simple as that.

Buying the CE back in the days gave them some extra money over the standard edition, but far from enough to keep the game alive for a year. The the ones keeping GW2 alive is the ones that buys gems, simple as that.

Ohh please start reading before posting. This is like the 5th time I need to debunk that same story. IT has nothing to do with keeping supporting. Other people keep supporting buy buying the expansion when it is released and people who did buy gems the day of the release and nothing after that did also get the thank you.

And the idea that the gem-buyers keep GW2 running is also total bull. They can easily get around on box sales and expansion sales. Just like companies who sell non MMO games also make money only on that. F2P games run on micro-transactions and can’t live without them but this is no f2p game it is a b2p game.

Devata.6589

I can understand from where different people are coming. That doesn’t mean that I agree, but I can understand. I think the core of this thread is pretty simple.

The OP’s topic title posed the following question:

“Collectors Edition supports getting anything? [sic]”

The in-game email from Anet, in part, reads:

“Because you purchased gems through our Gem Store or via a Guild Wars 2 Gem Card between the launch of Guild Wars 2 and June 9, 2013, please enjoy the attached gift from ArenaNet.”

From this, the answer to the OP’s question is no.

Read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetorical_question

(edited by Devata.6589)