Forcing players to complete dungeons = bad I think

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Soulstar.7812

Soulstar.7812

OP makes some valid points. I am sorry that you regard things you don’t like to hear as crying.

Seeing that you are require to do a dungeon to finish the story…

I you already complete 20% of of monthly….
“being forced” isn’t a valid argument at all… No one forces you to do anything in game.

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

And then you go on to address the things you only see. Good riddance.

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Posted by: Osculim.2983

Osculim.2983

They took away frac and wvw out the monthly which made me happy 5 dungeons tho is something i can live with. But i wouldnt worry if i were you anet did say something bout implementing a system into the daily where you can choose which activities to complete and i can bet they gonna do the same with the monthly

Posted by: Deroy.2457

Deroy.2457

You are not being forced into anything. You only think so because you refuse to make any kind of effort towards completing monthly.

You’re sounding just like those who demanded WvW to be taken out of monthly rotation. And the developers made a gargantuan mistake by giving into this demand from a vocal minority.

We’re gonna reach a point where they’re gonna hand us legendary weapons just for buying the game at this rate.

Posted by: Falcon Night.4653

Falcon Night.4653

Although I can empathize with the OP, I can’t sympathize. For months now I have not been able to complete monthlies because I don’t PvP.
Even after a separate PvP Monthly category was included, it was only meant for the sPvP crowd and for some unknown reason did not include WvW. Which was still kept in the normal Monthly category with all the other achievements being PvE achievements.
In that time I managed to complete my monthly only once because I was doing world completion and trying to get those Badges of Honor (for legendary). Finally, ANET has decided to give the PvE only crowd a break and not force us to PvP if we wanted to do the monthlies. Now the monthlies are actually part of my game-play and I don’t even really think about them as I play.
Yes, finding groups for dungeons can be a pain, but as 1 poster mentioned, gw2lfg.com. I actually managed to find a group and complete COE story mode (ok there was only 4 of us.) And I think the new monthlies might be partially credited for that. Within an hour last night I completed AC Exp path 1 and 2. So within 6 days in Feb, I’ve already completed more than half the requirement for this monthly achievement (vs the previous 15 FOTM runs and I forget how many player kills.)
For those that don’t like Dungeons, I can empathize. But like the PvP crowd used to tell me. Just bite the bullet and do it, you don’t have to like it but if you want your monthly than too bad.

These are not the droid you are looking for, move along… → ESO, FireFall, NW :)

Falcon Night.4653

You are not being forced into anything. You only think so because you refuse to make any kind of effort towards completing monthly.

You’re sounding just like those who demanded WvW to be taken out of monthly rotation. And the developers made a gargantuan mistake by giving into this demand from a vocal minority.

We’re gonna reach a point where they’re gonna hand us legendary weapons just for buying the game at this rate.

With the large number of posts regarding the PvP as part of the monthlies, I don’t think it was a minority. And they had already given way to a vocal “minority” of PvP players who wanted their own monthlies.

Posted by: Lane.3410

Lane.3410

Well, as someone who’s antisocial I’m none too thrilled about the dungeon daily. I don’t want to find a group of 4 strangers (5 times), or join some guild I don’t care about (who would still be strangers), blah, blah, blah. I’ve never really enjoyed instanced gameplay/dungeons in the first place so the addition of PUGs usually just turns it into a form of torture.

Here’s hoping if/when they allow you to choose which monthly requirements to fulfill that there are enough soloable ones in the mix that players aren’t forced to group when they don’t want to.

Posted by: alfista.6094

alfista.6094

It’s called a Monthly Achievement.

Achievement connotes final accomplishment of something noteworthy, after much effort and often in spite of obstacles and discouragements.

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Posted by: fang.9526

fang.9526

I have my own issues with the dungeon for monthly. I have a small child and I must play schizophrenically. I cannot focus on the game for even 15 minutes at a time without having to go do something else.

Now, I am not going to suggest abolishing dungeons as OP did. However, it would be nice to have one of the two following possibilities:

1) pick and choose which monthly achievements you want (like they are already planning for dailies)

2) partial rewards for partial completion. For example, if I finish 3/4 of the monthly tiers, give me 75% of the rewards.

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

Dailies and Monthlies are meant to pull people away from their normal routines to experience the rest of the game.

If you don’t like it, don’t do them.

The reward for completing those achievements are meant for flexible players who want to enjoy the game’s entirety. If you won’t do this, then you’re simply excluded from the reward.

I am not complaining about the dungeon req, but I don’t believe this is correct, either. Achievements are something to do. The biggest problem MMO’s have is providing enough to do to keep players playing. Trying to entice people into things they’d rather cut an arm off than do is not going to fit that bill.

I think that eventually ANet will offer alternative paths to the monthly achievement, just as they’ve announced they will do for dailies. Why? Because they will realize it is better to keep as many players busy as possible.

Until and unless they do, though, the monthlies are what they are.

Did you even read my full post?

The reward for completing those achievements are meant for flexible players who want to enjoy the game’s entirety. If you won’t do this, then you’re simply excluded from the reward.

It is basic game design that some rewards are not meant for everybody.
Example: You need to get all the Vistas in order to get Map Completion. I’m sure there are players out there

And ANet is not scared of losing a few players. If you are the type that would leave the game because a set of achievements involve an activity you dislike, then I can firmly say: ANet, and most companies, wouldn’t want you.

And if you feel you’d rather cut an arm off then do a dungeon, there is something SEVERELY wrong with you.

If I had to choose between my arm (OR ANY LIMB/ORGAN) or doing a GW2 dungeon, I would pick the fricking dungeon, and I firmly believe at least 99% of the playerbase would do the same.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

(edited by DreamOfACure.4382)

Posted by: Deroy.2457

Deroy.2457

With the large number of posts regarding the PvP as part of the monthlies, I don’t think it was a minority. And they had already given way to a vocal “minority” of PvP players who wanted their own monthlies.

sPvP players having their own monthlies and dailies is reasonable, because they have a completely different set of progression laid out for them. WvW on the other hand is not PvP, it’s better to call it a ‘PvE race’ with enemy players roaming around.

There was no justification at all in taking out WvW from monthlies. It was only taken out to satisfy the lazy and “privileged”. As a result they also slapped two player demographics, (the WvW crowd and Jacks of all trades), on their hands and telling them that “WvW is bad”.

Posted by: DaedalusDragon.3754

DaedalusDragon.3754

If you hate dungeons then why do you play this game? I can’t imagine somebody liking fotm but hating dungeons, nor can I imagine there being much to do outside of dungeons. Doing 5 of them a month is a joke. I laughed when I finished my monthly in the fewest days possible (given that you had to complete so many dailies to finish monthly). Making it only 5 a month shows that they were trying to do their best to make it easy enough for people who hate dungeons so much they’d rather eat their mother than partake.

If you just want to get it over with then just join in some AC exp from gw2lfg.com. My friend and I are not pros but we finish that dungeon with random pugs all of the time and we usually do all 3 runs most nights in about 1.5 – 2 hours.

In the case of this monthly, a little (minuscule) amount of work yields a great reward but if you don’t want to take part in a large part of the game then don’t complain because what else would you have them do?

Anet: “People complained about our monthly so we made it easier. Now you just have to do an emote twice.”
Player: “I HATE EMOTES WHY CAN’T I DO WHAT I WANT AND STILL GET REWARDS! THIS WILL TAKE FOREVER BECAUSE I CAN’T FIND A GROUP!”

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

What you call it is irrelevant. This type of game has grind inherently. It’s required to keep the game interesting and to present goals. Maybe you can research what MMOs generally entail before you buy your next one.

This type of post makes me, and probably any game designer serious about their job, innovation and originality, despair.
“It has always been this way and it always will be” is not an argument. It’s not logical. It’s not constructive. It’s dogmatic.
If you keep preaching this, you will never get anything new.

The possibilities offered by a huge community of players in one place are squandered when you begin dividing that massive group up into smaller groups. You may as well be playing Left 4 Dead or any other small group co-operative game.

Scripted content ignores the interesting things that can happen randomly when you let players and emergent systems interact, resulting in the same thing over and over again.

As for grind keeping the game interesting, whatever you’re smoking, it’s probably illegal. Here, have a job in a factory where you do the same repetitive crap every minute of every hour of every day. Are you having fun yet?

The MMO user base don’t want MMOs. They want the same small scale content over and over again.
It’s depressing.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: CorpusRye.2968

CorpusRye.2968

sPvP players having their own monthlies and dailies is reasonable, because they have a completely different set of progression laid out for them. WvW on the other hand is not PvP, it’s better to call it a ‘PvE race’ with enemy players roaming around.

There was no justification at all in taking out WvW from monthlies. It was only taken out to satisfy the lazy and “privileged”. As a result they also slapped two player demographics, (the WvW crowd and Jacks of all trades), on their hands and telling them that “WvW is bad”.

Actually the WvW achievement was due to dissapear from the rotation (for at least one month). It’s the only achievement in the monthly that has been running from august (launch) through january. Ohter achievements (also the dungeon achievement) have been used far less in the rotation.

Posted by: BadHabitZz.1856

BadHabitZz.1856

Geez just make few 10 min runs of CoF path 1 and stop whine. Atleast you get some gold for once…..Also dont you have you PvP daily?
I dont get why ppl cry so much about dailies i just play and at the end of day i have usually 60-80% done without even trying so 15min before i go sleep i gather some mats and maybe do 1 event and thats it. Seriously you think dailies are some kind of farm or grind? Its riddiculously easy and you have BiS amulet in game after 20days (if you do every daily + monthly) without any hard work or gear needed. I think thats more than fine….

(edited by BadHabitZz.1856)

Posted by: Bubbles.1047

Bubbles.1047

I can hear the mantra in my sleep.

‘Nobody is forcing you to do anything. You don’t need to do anything you don’t want.’

Yep, there are other ways to get the laurels. Oh, wait…

Posted by: Ouroboros.5076

Ouroboros.5076

They’re not forcing you.

Posted by: PolarisNova.3867

PolarisNova.3867

I feel similar to the OP. I can say quite confidently that I dislike dungeons in this game, and feel that although there are nice/decent people who enjoy doing them day in/day out, there are also the unpleasant characters who burst a blood vessel at the slightest thing, and I prefer not to mix with or play with those people. That’s my choice. I also didn’t like Fractals either….lol….I love ANet and love GW2 but I try to stay away from dungeons as best I can.

So my choice is grin and bear doing dungeons, or miss out, since this is how ANet has designed things.

My favourite aspects of the game are open world PVE and WvW.

~Lady Amelia of the House of Rose~

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

I for one think that ANet did a great job with the magg defense rework confession bear

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

“Play your own way” that was the quote.

For many that means, doing what they want! By not participating in WvW, Dungeons, or conforming to guild rules.

Future dailies will give use a choice to chose 4 of 6 daily tasks to complete. And, future monthlies should do the same.
Ex: Future monthly
4 PvE tasks (non-dungeon)
2 tasks (1 WvW, 1 dungeon)

(edited by Onshidesigns.1069)

Falcon Night.4653

sPvP players having their own monthlies and dailies is reasonable, because they have a completely different set of progression laid out for them.

WvW on the other hand is not PvP, it’s better to call it a ‘PvE race’ with enemy players roaming around.

Are you serious?
Which English dictionary are you using (ok, you might be using the ANET one)?

PvP means player versus player. In other words when one player goes up against another player (kills another player.) It does not matter, if the players are in ANETs structured PvP zone or their open PvP zone (also called the WvWvW Mists.)
“PvE race”? Race to do what, exactly? Capture forts and supply points? And how do you exactly do that? Kill some mobs before the “enemy player” kills them?

So you’re telling me that games like Darkfall (), EvE online are not PvP games, since they don’t have structured arena based PvP but in fact are actually PvE racing games with enemy players.

Please stop dehumanizing people, they are already dehumanized enough in games because they sit behind toons. Thinking of them as just some AI controlled PvE mobs that you need to take out, leads to mid-level twinks going into lowbie zones and ganking everyone.

PvE achievements should be in PvE achievement tabs.
PvP achievements should be in PvP achievement tabs.
And if the sPvP game play is so different from everyone else then they should have their own achievement tab.

Please don’t come here and tell me that WvWvW is a “PvE race” with enemy players. Cause I would really love to see a vid of you running around in a contested zone doing your racing without other enemy players trying to challenge you.

BTW for your and ANET’s reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player_versus_player
No where is there a mention that PvP is only in reference to ANET’s structured PvP.

(edited by Falcon Night.4653)

Posted by: Lane.3410

Lane.3410

I don’t understand how anyone can argue the WvW part of the achievement was in any way, shape, or form “PvE” oriented when it very clearly stated player kills.

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

In my opinion, anything and everything that is a part of GW2 is fair game for dailies and monthlies.

So, you’d be okay with having to craft a legendary as part of a monthly, say? I mean, legendaries are part of the game and there’s got to be plenty of players that could manage to craft a legendary if given a whole month. lol

Why be lazy?

Cause Legendary Weapons were meant to be made in a time span of years to Anet. So if they dont think some casual can do it in a month then it wont be placed in that time span.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: FateZero.8536

FateZero.8536

Personally, I view it from a different point of view. I have never done dungeons other than ac, cm and arah story mode. This is a good opportunity and excuse to finally get my lazy kitten up and try a dungeon.

Posted by: DOW Mageski.2097

DOW Mageski.2097

No forcing people to do 50ish WvW kills is bad. 5 dungeons is easy. Just do story on a few dungeons and your done.

So I think the 5 dungeons is one of the best monthly’s every and would love to see a 1 dungeon completed for daily.

#OccupySAB2014 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Forgotten Vanguard [TFV], a 18+ great guild. On the Gandara server.
Join. http://forgottenvanguard.enjin.com/

Posted by: Caramel Ham.4891

Caramel Ham.4891

I really have to ask though….at level 80, what exactly do you do if not for running some sort of dungeons?

See, I always thought it weird for the majority of the game’s population to not do dungeons. I see such a small percentage of players actually having some kind of dungeon gear. At the least, im pretty surprised not everyone is running with a piece of CoF gear (since its so easy to do). AC gear is harder to tell since its ugly as sin (so I assume players transmute them), but CoF gear is not bad looking. I DO see CoF gear being the most popular…but what i mean is that the majority of players are running some run of the mill stuff. So i take it that they either haven’t run dungeons or aren’t doing it enough.

It might be that it’s because I came from WoW and dabbled a bit in GW1….but are my tastes that different? I mean, didn’t Gw1 have missions? Wouldn’t that be kind of similar to dungeons?

Sure theres WvW if that’s your thing…..but can you really just do that the entire time?

Im just noticing, theres not a whole bunch of things to do at lvl 80. I feel sad now

Posted by: Zookeeper.2513

Zookeeper.2513

I can see both sides of the arguement, but I think the OP has a point. Not everyone enjoys doing dungeons, WvW, World Events, etc. Some like doing only 1 or the other or a combination of a couple. Dailies don’t require people to WvW, dungeon grind, World Events, etc. Maybe having the monthly be a combination of what all the different dailies consist of (ie rez’s, dodge’s, events, kills, crafting, salvaging, etc) would solve the issue. It’s not that people are being lazy or feeling “privileged”, it’s the fact that they want to play the way they want to.

Posted by: Silvery Shadow.5036

Silvery Shadow.5036

Just a two cents….I don’t care much with the Monthly….and neither with the dungeon (they are fun but I prefer exploring)….things is that I wonder why they are included in the explorer achievement (as far as I know from the Wiki)….they are more battle/reward/strategy oriented than exploration/event oriented and they already have their own achievement…..

Then again if I’m mistaken about that…don’t flame…just say so ;-) !

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

I empathise with the OP, I hate dungeons as well, not because I don’t want to do them (I want the rewards) but because getting into a group can be hours and sometimes days in the waiting… (I’ve only managed to get into a few groups and they were my WvW Guildies)

I know what you mean. For me it’s not that dungeon content is hated, but being forced to group up to engage that content that is frustrating. And not just being forced to group up, but that the group size is fixed. Sometimes I want to solo, sometimes I want to run with just one or two friends. I’d love to see dungeon content scale to any group size or else allow dungeon henchmen to fill out a small group up to the mandatory party size. Sure players who choose dungeon henchmen over real players will be at a disadvantage (AI issues) compared to a party of full players – but for most solo or small group players this disadvantage is worth it (not forced to rush, not be belittled by aggressive players, etc.)

I agree with everyone who is telling the OP why he’s wrong. If we cut out everything from a monthly or daily that someone didn’t like, we’d have nothing left. People are even complaining about the crafting part of dailies! In my opinion, anything and everything that is a part of GW2 is fair game for dailies and monthlies.

You’re correct in that personal likes/dislikes for certain activities shouldn’t necessarily be the deciding factor, however once they get the “choose your own daily” feature working that will surely help. Hopefully that mechanic will be added to the monthly as well. I’d like to add though that the achievements really are more focused on what you have achieved. I think any achievement that requires you to work with another person should either be removed from the daily/monthly, or else move it to an entirely new category of “group achievements” or something like that. Per my point above, I don’t mind grouping, but I dislike forced grouping in order to enjoy specific game content.

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

I really have to ask though….at level 80, what exactly do you do if not for running some sort of dungeons?

See, I always thought it weird for the majority of the game’s population to not do dungeons. I see such a small percentage of players actually having some kind of dungeon gear. At the least, im pretty surprised not everyone is running with a piece of CoF gear (since its so easy to do). AC gear is harder to tell since its ugly as sin (so I assume players transmute them), but CoF gear is not bad looking. I DO see CoF gear being the most popular…but what i mean is that the majority of players are running some run of the mill stuff. So i take it that they either haven’t run dungeons or aren’t doing it enough.

It might be that it’s because I came from WoW and dabbled a bit in GW1….but are my tastes that different? I mean, didn’t Gw1 have missions? Wouldn’t that be kind of similar to dungeons?

Sure theres WvW if that’s your thing…..but can you really just do that the entire time?

Im just noticing, theres not a whole bunch of things to do at lvl 80. I feel sad now

W3 is all I do with my hour or two after work. I don’t naturally hate dungeons, it took several games built or rebuilt on the gear treadmill-dungeon/raid progression model to turn me sour on them. For the most part, having that looming feeling of having to crank out dailies and scheduled dungeons or raids and knowing that if I miss a few days for whatever reason I’ll be left behind causes me to lose interest in a game very fast. I wouldn’t mind at all if dungeon runners had more varied access to tiered gear if w3 had separate system, and I wouldn’t mind both sharing the same system as long as there was comparable access for both player bases.

Yes, the dailies aren’t much, and the monthly is doable, if…you have the time and patience with that player base to run dungeons. W3 being my game and having limited time to play, I want to help my server fight and hang out with the community there with the time I have. I want to help progress our server as a community and a force, I have no interest in sleeping through a dungeon and only talking to people in lfg language.

Kash
NSP

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Honestly, this month’s Monthly Achievement will probably be the first I’ve completed since the game was released, specifically because it does not make me do WvW. I’m not the biggest fan of dungeons or fractals, to be honest. I’ve played the odd story mode to help out guildies, but that’s pretty much it. But I’d rather do that than WvW or fractals any day.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: TsukasaHiiragi.9730

TsukasaHiiragi.9730

I just posted about dungeons actually, not for this reason ~ But the problems is that not all paths are easy for pug groups. In fact, each dungeon has that ‘one’ path which is notoriously difficult, bordering impossible ~ and thats a serious problem.

Look at CoF path 3…or AC path 3 for instance, as a reference. Or CM path 2….you’ve got a whole host of dungeons which for the most part, many players are not easily going to finish because of poor design.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Poor-dungeon-design-is-hurting-GW2

protest this travesty of a patch -
Get it taken down -
Do whatever it takes if you care about this game -

(edited by TsukasaHiiragi.9730)

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

I agree with everyone who is telling the OP why he’s wrong. If we cut out everything from a monthly or daily that someone didn’t like, we’d have nothing left. People are even complaining about the crafting part of dailies! In my opinion, anything and everything that is a part of GW2 is fair game for dailies and monthlies.

You’re correct in that personal likes/dislikes for certain activities shouldn’t necessarily be the deciding factor, however once they get the “choose your own daily” feature working that will surely help. Hopefully that mechanic will be added to the monthly as well. I’d like to add though that the achievements really are more focused on what you have achieved. I think any achievement that requires you to work with another person should either be removed from the daily/monthly, or else move it to an entirely new category of “group achievements” or something like that. Per my point above, I don’t mind grouping, but I dislike forced grouping in order to enjoy specific game content.

I think that choosing 4/6 or 5/7 or whatever they come up with will be better all around for everyone. I respect that you don’t like grouping for dungeons, and can somewhat relate – I finished one of the most excruciating runs I can remember today. I won’t bore you with the details, but I’m sure you have comparable stories. I also am glad that you didn’t come ranting to the forums and blowing things out of proportion. While I disagree with your disinclination to work with others in a multiplayer game, I am glad we can have a civil discussion about it. Hopefully the choose-your-own-daily system will work for both of us!

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

I hate open world pve, particularly dynamic events. I hate having to walk around and look for them, or waiting for them to happen, as well as relying on people around me to help finish them. I also think its ridiculous I have to spend so much money just to get the salvages I need for monthly. I just want everything accessibly from LA. Can I complain now?

/endsarcasm

Cof path 2 is harder now that suicide runs are impossible. Try going for ac explo (arguably easiest of all explo), TA is pretty easy too once you get the hang of it. CM probably but except the seraph path unless you have a mes/thief to make it easier. And I don’t think its unique dungeon runs (omg the horror!) so just keep on doing Cof path 1 over and over again till you finish it.

/endconstructivepart

I hated doing cof path 2 as suicide runs, i always asked if we could do it the killing way since most of the time, people die less, and there is a small chance i won’t die! (i’m a guardian >.>… I get the immediate response of, GO SACRIFICE YOURSELFFFF FOR OUR TOKENNSSS)

Posted by: TsukasaHiiragi.9730

TsukasaHiiragi.9730

CoF 2 is going to cause alot of headaches now, good group ~ it’ll probably be easier, but with a bad group I can see it being a disaster. I did CoF 2 a few days ago with the new system and we cleared it without any major problems, sure it was a pretty crazy intensive fight but it was more or less a guild run and we had a good balanced team.

The problems with pugs is simple, you don’t know the builds they are running, you don’t even know if they are even fully geared out properly either.

protest this travesty of a patch -
Get it taken down -
Do whatever it takes if you care about this game -

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

This month is supposed to have the ability to choose what our dailies/monthlies will be. hopefully they will have the good sense to have the choice of completing metas/dragon events in place of dungeons/wvw kills. That’s a choice.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I agree with the OP

Its not that i hate dungeons on average its that hate Guildwars 2 dungeons, i’ve played multiple MMO’s and didn’t hate dungeons in their games, its that Guildwars 2 are just directionless kill fests that insta kill and go out of their way to be zero fun but be mega hard.. do not scale and are overpowered for almost zero gain, why would i want to do that for fun?

I do them occasionally to help guildies or to get monthlies because without i’d get nothing, doesn’t mean i still don’t loath them…

(edited by Dante.1508)

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

You’ve got 28 days to do 5 dungeons.

Is that really difficult to achieve?

Yes, it is if you don’t do dungeons. Pretty straightforward. Since dailies and monthlies are a currency reward rather than just an achievement, and since they are the mechanism in place for the gear grind treadmill, they should really be available to people with all playstyles, which includes people who don’t do WvW or dungeons. This doesn’t require a great deal of thought or reality-testing. Anyone should be able to understand this.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

You dont need armour it is optional but you put it on why? Stop with stupid straw man arguments.
Of course it is mandatory it is the only way to get your ascend amulet.
3 months in a row for the monthly is bad dev.
being forced to grind for bis gear was not what this game was to be about. oh well.

And I havent finished my last quest guess why – Dungeon. Stop putting the BIS items in dungeons and forcing people to grind it.
Reward me by playing my way. No it isnt the way you want in dungeons to bad anet I dont enjoy it so please stop it.
I like Tors stuff but GW2 is just awful and unfun so stop forcing it on me I dont like it and 3 months in a row is enough already.

(edited by Narkosys.5173)

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

You’ve got 28 days to do 5 dungeons.

Is that really difficult to achieve?

Yes, it is if you don’t do dungeons. Pretty straightforward. Since dailies and monthlies are a currency reward rather than just an achievement, and since they are the mechanism in place for the gear grind treadmill, they should really be available to people with all playstyles, which includes people who don’t do WvW or dungeons. This doesn’t require a great deal of thought or reality-testing. Anyone should be able to understand this.

I personally don’t salvage anything but Rare’s. ANet need to change it because it doesn’t fit in with my playstyle, and 500 is too much.

If it’s going to be a case of you get rewarded for playing the game the way you play it anyway, they may as well go ’here’s your monthly allowance of Laurels’. If they made the amount of what you usually do a lot, people will complain it’s a grind.

Doing 1 dungeon every 4 days (meaning you’ll be done in 20 days) isn’t as much of a hassle as people are making it out to be.

Since WvW is another game-mode (PvPVE), it should have a separate monthly achievement anyway for the people who want to just play WvW.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: quickthorn.4918

quickthorn.4918

I missed out on monthlies for the first few months of GW2, because it included WvW and I had never been a pvp player in other games. I accepted the fact that because I didn’t participate in certain content, I would not be rewarded in the same way as someone who did. I love playing WvW now, but I am not bothered about those missed months of rewards. It was my choice to miss out and I was fine with the fact that those who played more parts of the game got more rewards.

I think the same applies to dungeons really. No-one has to complete a monthly. I would not want it to become too easy to get. However I’m not opposed to it having an element of choice, like the dailies will have in future, as long as you still need to do a variety of tasks.

Posted by: Raire.7983

Raire.7983

Doing 1 dungeon every 4 days (meaning you’ll be done in 20 days) isn’t as much of a hassle as people are making it out to be.

Since WvW is another game-mode (PvPVE), it should have a separate monthly achievement anyway for the people who want to just play WvW.

It’s the same issue. People don’t want to feel forced into modes of play they don’t enjoy. I dropped the personal story around lvl 30, when I found out it was all leading to a blasted dungeon! I don’t like the format, I don’t like the lack of team-size scaling, I don’t like the archaic method of finding a group – you think, based on that, I’d tolerate one every four days for a few laurels? Not a chance. “Hassle” isn’t a big enough word to cover how I feel about dungeons in GW2.

GW2 sold me on open world dynamic events and WvW, not lfg’ing with the leet crowd to get into poxy five-man instances. The continuing pressure to participate in that nonsense is galling.

Posted by: Lukhas.1962

Lukhas.1962

Dungeons are a very important part of a mmorpg. If you do not like dungeons, you do not like mmorpg’s

ArenaNet does not force you to do dungeons.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

It’s the same issue. People don’t want to feel forced into modes of play they don’t enjoy. I dropped the personal story around lvl 30, when I found out it was all leading to a blasted dungeon! I don’t like the format, I don’t like the lack of team-size scaling, I don’t like the archaic method of finding a group – you think, based on that, I’d tolerate one every four days for a few laurels? Not a chance. “Hassle” isn’t a big enough word to cover how I feel about dungeons in GW2.

GW2 sold me on open world dynamic events and WvW, not lfg’ing with the leet crowd to get into poxy five-man instances. The continuing pressure to participate in that nonsense is galling.

Fair enough. Can’t really think of much more to say to that, especially if you consider the Laurels not worth the hassle.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

(edited by TheDaiBish.9735)

Posted by: taomang.2183

taomang.2183

Dungeons are a very important part of a mmorpg. If you do not like dungeons, you do not like mmorpg’s

No one says dungeons aren’t important, but your argument is just stupid and it won’t work (see what i did there ;DDD)

Posted by: AwwGee.5628

AwwGee.5628

Of course it is mandatory it is the only way to get your ascend amulet.

Dailies say hi.

Those 5 dungeons can be completed in less than an hour.

Posted by: Raire.7983

Raire.7983

Personal story aside, I’ll agree that it’s not so much “force”, as “pressure”.

Your first statement is completely silly, though. 5-player instances are hardly the definition of an MMO. Even if one accepts dungeons as an important component to an MMO, it still doesn’t justify the argument that not liking dungeons equals not liking MMO’s. Many players will rule out the whole of PvE or PvP based on their personal tastes. Would you really suppose that means they don’t like MMO’s entirely?

Posted by: lisamee.2408

lisamee.2408

I have not completed a single monthy yet. Mainly because i don’t like WvW, and the dungeons/pvp are made for hardcore players…which i am not.

So untill they make monthlys casual/solo player friendly, i won’t be able to complete them nor enjoy their benefits.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I have not completed a single monthy yet. Mainly because i don’t like WvW, and the dungeons/pvp are made for hardcore players…which i am not.

So untill they make monthlys casual/solo player friendly, i won’t be able to complete them nor enjoy their benefits.

Storymode dungeons aren’t made for hardcore players…explorable mode dungeons are. Storymodes are relatively easy, comparatively.

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

Where are the BIS items? Dungeons right – forced.
Get BIS amulet fast – Monthly by dungeon – Forced.
To be at peak performance it is dungeon grind and forced content.
You dont need armour so why wear it?

Make the dungeon fun and I will – I liked Tors and hate these.