Goodbye Queensdale Train!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Good. Now maybe that zone will be more civil.

No, it will probably be pretty dead now and all those L10 new players asking questions probably won’t get a response.

Nah, I may still be there to answer questions as will others that actually enjoy doing that and helping them with content in those areas if they ask for help.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Nerfing reward systems is not always a good thing. Sure in Queensdale things sometimes got ugly in chat. However, taking away rewards is a slippery slope. Perhaps your favorite farming area will be next.

I have not run the train in about a month. I’m just not a big fan of reward nerfs. Rewards in this game are already skimpy at best. Just look over the forum and see.

The nerf wasn’t about the rewards though, it was about the new player experience.

If it was simply about the rewards, they wouldn’t have bothered changing the Champions in the other starting areas as well.

… which sucks, because I enjoyed fighting champs in the starting areas as a new player. Especially that Effigy in the Plains of Ashford.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

No, it will probably be pretty dead now and all those L10 new players asking questions probably won’t get a response.

Maybe. But there wont be 100 people in there every minute swearing at and insulting those same L 10 new players for being “noobs” and turning them off to the game altogether.

I ran the train for my monthly and such for several months. Verbal abuse was rare and when it happened it was because of a few people purposely griefing the train. From all my time running the train I can say from my experience that new players in chat that asked questions got answers and often offers to help them with skill points and what not.

Now not so much. I’m rather surprised that people are supporting yet another nerf. Over the past year and a half or so several areas got nerfed and the forum was up in arms.

Your favorite farming area might be next…..

The Burninator

Posted by: ardasica.4531

ardasica.4531

This was needed so badly. Maybe now they will actually play some of the higher level maps and kill some champs there.

Oh wait, that would mean actually working for their loot now wouldn’t it…

I might actually be able to go into Queensdale now. The other maps weren’t as bad as the train in Queensdale was.

SF
OTR

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Maybe. But there wont be 100 people in there every minute insulting those same L 10 new players for being “noobs” and turning them off to the game altogether.

Indeed. The majority of the “responses” these L10 players were getting to their questions were:

“google it” – “alt+F4” – “noob”

And a slew of other troll “responses”. Yep, primarily from the people in the train.
These type of “responses” also drowned out the actual responses people like me were trying to give them to help them out.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: Phyxrgon.7305

Phyxrgon.7305

You can’t honestly expect 100% civility and maturity in an online game.

Jade Quarrior – [HzH] [SF]

Tengu. Make it happen.

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

Anet is on track to remove more content than they’ve added, haha.

JustTrogdor.7892

For once I agree with you.

The Burninator

ardasica.4531

Maybe. But there wont be 100 people in there every minute swearing at and insulting those same L 10 new players for being “noobs” and turning them off to the game altogether.

I ran the train for my monthly and such for several months. Verbal abuse was rare and when it happened it was because of a few people purposely griefing the train. From all my time running the train I can say from my experience that new players in chat that asked questions got answers and often offers to help them with skill points and what not.

Now not so much. I’m rather surprised that people are supporting yet another nerf. Over the past year and a half or so several areas got nerfed and the forum was up in arms.

My favorite farming area was already ruined with the Megaserver idea.

However I can tell you that anytime I went into Queensdale, there was plenty of rude behavior and that was before griefing took place. The other maps did not have the level of rudeness that I would see in Queensdale. I would avoid running that map as much as I could because of the players there.

So I am glad your experience was positive. I found the whole thing to be toxic and misleading to new players as it encouraged a zerg mentality and did not encourage people to actually learn their classes.

SF
OTR

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

Well, I hope those who complained about the QD trail are happy with the new patch. Sadly for new players there will be fewer, if any experienced players in the starter areas to help new players, by answering questions, explaining game, etc. As for the trolls they will simply move on to other areas, to be sure, or stay in the starter areas to spread their vile. New players will learn of the meta boss zerg (GW2 style play nowadays) on their own if they happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I really do feel sorry for the brand new players, they will be quite lost, whether in QD or WF, even MP.

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The events are still there…

Posted by: Naranek.3467

Naranek.3467

This is a terrible move. I use those for dailies and monthlies, usually just one circuit of boar>troll>oak before going on to better things. And it’s not just Queensdale, either; it’s ALL starting zones. If they really want people off the train, then just don’t give loot after the first time.

I’m sure they’re still “events”. We’ll just have to find champs elsewhere.

Given the ratio of events to champions was already heavily tilted towards the former, I’m not seeing this as an improvement. Plus, if they’re no longer champions, are they no longer group events, as well? Can anybody confirm this? Because if you thought the lag on bosses was bad before…

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

At least people were getting their questions answered though

There’s still going to be vet players running around maps who can answer newbie questions.

At least now we won’t have a rage train raining hell on a poor group of newcomers, just because they killed a champ before everyone else got there. Trains gave a bad first impression – as if zerging was all you did in GW2. It gets grind-like eventually, and keeps you away from all the other interesting aspects in this game.

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

Wow! This is quite the surprise! I am shocked! I am astounded!

Of course the only surprise is it took them so long to come up with THIS solution. We all saw it coming. We just expected it far, far sooner.

ardasica.4531

This is a terrible move. I use those for dailies and monthlies, usually just one circuit of boar>troll>oak before going on to better things. And it’s not just Queensdale, either; it’s ALL starting zones. If they really want people off the train, then just don’t give loot after the first time.

The other starting zones were nowhere near as bad as Queensdale which is why Queensdale is the standard people speak about. Queensdale was the only place I actually saw a consistent champ train in the starter zones and I’m actually a little sad that they managed to ruin it for everyone else. Of course ANet had to treat the starter zones the same otherwise the champ train would have just moved to a new starter zone.

How about move to a higher level map to do those dailies and monthlies? With the Megaserver you will always have someone on the map with you. I believe in you. You can separate yourself from that train and find a new train addiction on another map.

SF
OTR

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

That has not been my experience. This has:

Indeed. The majority of the “responses” these L10 players were getting to their questions were:

“google it” – “alt+F4” – “noob”

And a slew of other troll “responses”. Yep, primarily from the people in the train.
These type of “responses” also drowned out the actual responses people like me were trying to give them to help them out.

I agree. I actually stopped trying to help for the same reason. Add to that, I was tired of seeing all the people be hateful. Complete downer.

As for farming, there are plenty of places to farm. Even plenty of trains still existing. I don’t have a favorite per say, but once in a while I’ll go to Frostgorge to join the train. Not often. Most of the time I just farm wherever I feel like going.

JustTrogdor.7892

Well, I hope those who complained about the QD trail are happy with the new patch. Sadly for new players there will be fewer, if any experienced players in the starter areas to help new players, by answering questions, explaining game, etc. As for the trolls they will simply move on to other areas, to be sure, or stay in the starter areas to spread their vile. New players will learn of the meta boss zerg (GW2 style play nowadays) on their own if they happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I really do feel sorry for the brand new players, they will be quite lost, whether in QD or WF, even MP.

Yep Queensdale is going to become the new Metrica Province. A few new players a day with no one there to help them out. “Hey, how do I get this skill point? I need help.” Cricket….Cricket…

The Burninator

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It will be more empty, that for sure. But the players that flamed against the trains are going to stay and will likely find other targets to rage about.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

ardasica.4531

I think more vet players will end up in Queensdale now to help the new players. It isn’t like none of us every pay a visit for low level mat farming. The benefit is that we aren’t having to shout down people being rude because someone took out their next champ or insulting what they perceive to be a stupid question.

SF
OTR

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

That is why I said “more civil” and not “completely civil”.

But the rudeness and immaturity on that map was beyond the pale in my experience.

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

It’s highly ironic how people claiming to be striving for a troll/abuse-free community have their comments so full of vitriol and gloating.

Posted by: Kalari.1649

Kalari.1649

New player here I guess I don’t get the fuss, I play my rogue Nyxy in Queensdale and ive explored, came across this train stuff around level 18 I play most evenings and never ran across abusive types at all. Ive been playing less than two months, I see many of the same players on that server, many are helpful and nice they would revive me if I was one shotted which happened a lot, I’ve in turn helped others as I’ve gained levels. People buff, haste each other when a new person types “train?” in chat someone always answered and put the way points. It did not seem like a abuse fest.

Maybe it is the server I am on but I really did not encounter any bad behavior. I’ll miss running it with the folks on DB but I am sure there are other things to do as well I am almost done with my personal story and can’t wait to see other parts of the game. But I will say this the Train was a good way to get a feel for big groups it was a good way to help me level between my personal story to I do a lot of that content on my own and it helps being at level or a little above.

I just wanted to speak up since I saw a lot of people wondering how new players felt, I liked the train, sad to see them change it but the game still has a lot of amazing things I have not tried yet.

Posted by: Clear.8512

Clear.8512

I appreciate this update/nerf/buff/whatever. I cheesed the monthly at times doing the train so glad it will help people branch out.

Posted by: EgonVenkman.1907

EgonVenkman.1907

Queensdale is the Barrens Chat of this game. Add in the rude and harassing attitude if you touched their mobs, and it would eliminate many new players before they even start. Human is the start point for many(if not most) new players in an mmo, and the Human starter zone was nothing more than a GTFO experience to them.

Though I will miss all the fun you can have disrupting the entire train for hours, with just one person. Get 2 or 3 people, you can pretty much get the zerg camping at boar all night.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.”
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-27-guild-wars-2-preview?page=3

Darkobra.6439

It’s highly ironic how people claiming to be striving for a troll/abuse-free community have their comments so full of vitriol and gloating.

Karma comes for us all.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

This is excellent news.

This will practically eliminate the map chat abuse people kept getting and the rudeness of very many players in Queensdale.

Like I always said to those players, you may pwn the champs, but you don’t own the champs.

Thank you Arena Net!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: shawn.1298

shawn.1298

I’m saving a link to this thread. In a couple of months when the game sinks from #10 to #25 and is selling for 1/4 of the price, I’ll pull it up again. That’s my only interest in GW2 at this point. To see how far it falls.

Posted by: Naranek.3467

Naranek.3467

The other starting zones were nowhere near as bad as Queensdale which is why Queensdale is the standard people speak about. Queensdale was the only place I actually saw a consistent champ train in the starter zones and I’m actually a little sad that they managed to ruin it for everyone else. Of course ANet had to treat the starter zones the same otherwise the champ train would have just moved to a new starter zone.

How about move to a higher level map to do those dailies and monthlies? With the Megaserver you will always have someone on the map with you. I believe in you. You can separate yourself from that train and find a new train addiction on another map.

How about you let me do what I want? No, can’t have that…I don’t appreciate the condescension at all.

Scrambles.2604

hahaha, yeah something must be wrong if we both agree on it

I’m just surprised they killed off an activity so many players participated in. It’s a bold move.

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Coming up next :::

Kessex Hills Chamion Farm Train
Brisban Wildlands Champion Farm Train
etc.
etc.
etc.

People will eventually learn new areas, and then all the whining and complaining about champ farm traisn is going to start all over again. Removing the farm train from the starter areas isn’t doing much, just saying.

JustTrogdor.7892

I just wanted to speak up since I saw a lot of people wondering how new players felt, I liked the train, sad to see them change it but the game still has a lot of amazing things I have not tried yet.

Wait what? According to everyone else here you were exposed to verbal abuse, didn’t learn how to play and the train ruined your experience. :P

The Burninator

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I’m a gonna go over there and tell those low levels.

shaking my cane

“This used to be a champion boar when I was young. Just no challenge anymore, you little kittens have everything so easy nowadays.”

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Arikyali.5804

Yep Queensdale is going to become the new Metrica Province. A few new players a day with no one there to help them out. “Hey, how do I get this skill point? I need help.” Cricket….Cricket…

With the whole megaserver setup, I really don’t think that’s going to be the case. I’ve been running around with my alts, and there’s still plenty chatter going around in the newbie areas. Just because there won’t be champ trains anymore, doesn’t mean the map will be dead. Not every single player jumps on the train. There’s still players who prefer going around the map at their own pace, and there’s still going to be people who do that.

shawn.1298

hahaha, yeah something must be wrong if we both agree on it

I’m just surprised they killed off an activity so many players participated in. It’s a bold move.

Bold or stupid?

Posted by: felessan.9587

felessan.9587

Harathi had a pretty decent little train going a few weeks ago.

Cursed Shore isn’t the most effective for leveling, but there’s a lot of good stuff to be had there too.

I’ve never been part of the “abolish the champ train!” crowd until recently. Queensdale is by far the worst, but the way people talk to each other in the starting maps is awful.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

I hope they add a new champ train to another zone.

They have its called EotM.. plus you got the Queens Gauntlet to keep you running round in circles now.

Best move ever ANET… all dem tears :-( = :-D

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Coming up next :::

Kessex Hills Chamion Farm Train
Brisban Wildlands Champion Farm Train
etc.
etc.
etc.

People will eventually learn new areas, and then all the whining and complaining about champ farm traisn is going to start all over again. Removing the farm train from the starter areas isn’t doing much, just saying.

Those are more appropriate venues however. I’m not particularly keen on champ trains being the first experience new players get in the game. They seem to be magnets for the wrong kinds of people.

Or it could just be they get really bored from all that button-mashing.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Best. News. Ever.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Myrnar.7960

Myrnar.7960

Thanks Anet, another good reason for not playing your game anymore…

shawn.1298

They have its called EotM.. plus you got the Queens Gauntlet to keep you running round in circles now.

If you’re the type of player ANET wants ( joy over other’s unhappiness) it should sink like a stone.

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Except there is no loot :-)

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

This. Looks like it wasn’t the train runners that were bad but rather instigators… likely from this thread.

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

I’m slightly of two minds about this, because it was fun to run into a big tough enemy so quickly on my first character (the Risen Monstrosity in Caledon Forest). Loot never mattered, it was about the experience of tackling something like that in a group with other excited newbies. So it’s a bit sad that will no longer be possible. Maybe these enemies could be upgraded to elites instead, as a compromise?

The people for whom it WAS all about getting loot as easily as possible by steamrolling starter zones and vomiting abuse at anyone “disrupting” their “train” or asking questions? Yeah, no sympathy there and good riddance. Making money IS a big pain in this game, but starter zones should not be the place for that either way, and there’s just no excuse for hideous behavior, especially towards newbies. (Bragging about griefing the “train” is cruddy too, IMO. Don’t do it. If someone in the “train” is an abusive pusbag, report, but don’t sink to their level.)

Darkobra.6439

I’m saving a link to this thread. In a couple of months when the game sinks from #10 to #25 and is selling for 1/4 of the price, I’ll pull it up again. That’s my only interest in GW2 at this point. To see how far it falls.

Did you actually quit because of this? Why not learn how to play the game instead? About time the community stepped up and quit the AFK press 1 and wait.

Arikyali.5804

I’m betting most people don’t care about the actual meta gameplay of a train – it was the reeking negative attitude, and ‘gw2 means zergfest only’ first impression. That’s really bad to have in a new player map.

If the train moves to a higher leveled zone, fine by me. Some events need a lot of people, and it’ll be filled with a playerbase that are more game savvy than newcomers.

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

I’m slightly of two minds about this, because it was fun to run into a big tough enemy so quickly on my first character (the Risen Monstrosity in Caledon Forest). Loot never mattered, it was about the experience of tackling something like that in a group with other excited newbies. So it’s a bit sad that will no longer be possible. Maybe these enemies could be upgraded to elites instead, as a compromise?

You’re being constructive and have a jolly good idea. I like that. I like the suggestion too!

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

shawn.1298

Did you actually quit because of this? Why not learn how to play the game instead? About time the community stepped up and quit the AFK press 1 and wait.

I quit a month ago over the traits. I have no desire to come back. The reason Anet broke the train was it hurt the gem store. They will break ANYTHING that hurts the gem store. My interest will be watching it fall into the abyss like RIFT.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

The people for whom it WAS all about getting loot as easily as possible by steamrolling starter zones and vomiting abuse at anyone “disrupting” their “train” or asking questions? Yeah, no sympathy there and good riddance. Making money IS a big pain in this game, but starter zones should not be the place for that either way, and there’s just no excuse for hideous behavior, especially towards newbies. (Bragging about griefing the “train” is cruddy too, IMO. Don’t do it. If someone in the “train” is an abusive pusbag, report, but don’t sink to their level.)

Just for the record, if you were running the Queensdale Champ Train for money, you were doing it wrong. The Champ Train was a good way to farm Skill Points, Karma, Exp, basic crafting materials like mithril, and daily/monthly achievements. For any other purpose, it was a net loss to spend any time there.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Darkobra.6439

I quit a month ago over the traits. I have no desire to come back. The reason Anet broke the train was it hurt the gem store. They will break ANYTHING that hurts the gem store. My interest will be watching it fall into the abyss like RIFT.

Wow, that’s almost as bad as quitting over this.

Door’s that way. —→

Scrambles.2604

ITT: Players who didn’t run the queensdale train are happy that other players that enjoyed the train can no longer do so. “Play how you want” at its finest