GW 1 Nostalgia

GW 1 Nostalgia

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The two things I really miss from Guild Wars 1 that didn’t make an appearance in this game, I hardly ever see mentioned at all.

The Zhaitian Managerie
The ability to view the game through the eyes of a teammate while you’re dead.

Those are two things I’d have loved to see here.

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Droknar runs. Them imps and wurms.

Also the ability to change channels at will. It’s interesting how GW1 had a more elegant way of handling that sort of thing.

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

I agree with both the things you miss, Vayne.
In my opinion, a huge variety of builds is quite lacking in GW2 too, as well as more lore (or actually less “never seen before” things that don’t allow the GW1 playerbase to feel the connection between GW1 and 2).

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

I didn’t play GW1 and I don’t care about it.
I’m playing GW2 and I like the way it’s developed and how it works.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: Paradise.1692

Paradise.1692

First-person view, just like in GW1. I need that.

Other than that, I miss Cantha.

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Tao, I understand that you enjoy GW2, but what if GW2 had additional features that did not impair the current gameplay.

GW 1 Nostalgia

Vayne.8563

You may have noticed that I like Guild Wars 2 also. lol

Doesn’t mean there wasn’t some cool stuff in the predecessor. Have you ever been lying dead in a dungeon. Can’t rez because the party is in combat. The ability to double click on a party member and see the battle through their eyes would be very cool to have.

I can see why they didn’t do the Menagerie though. That was only for rangers…but in Guild Wars 1, everyone could have a pet by making their second profession a ranger. Where was here, you’d be making an entire area for one profession out of eight.

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

The game felt so huge.

By the time I bought it, the EOTN had been released. I played all the way from the northernmost edge in Jaga Morraine down to the southernmost areas in Cantha, all across the parched plains of Elona and up to again the endlessly burning forests of the Charr area.

I miss the scale and scope of the dungeons. Not cramped rooms filled with seemingly endless trash mobs but whole maps in their own right where you carefully maneuvered among the mobs, taking them out one by one. (And the Dreadspawn Maw in the Domain of Anguish, aka DoA or Dead on Arrival, scared the spit out of me by coming out of the ground right beside me the first time I was there). The Guild Wars 2 dungeons don’t evoke the same feelings of battling dangerous foes.

By comparison, Guild Wars 2 feels so much smaller.

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: Kiayin.3427

Kiayin.3427

Doesn’t mean there wasn’t some cool stuff in the predecessor. Have you ever been lying dead in a dungeon. Can’t rez because the party is in combat. The ability to double click on a party member and see the battle through their eyes would be very cool to have.

I can see why they didn’t do the Menagerie though. That was only for rangers…but in Guild Wars 1, everyone could have a pet by making their second profession a ranger. Where was here, you’d be making an entire area for one profession out of eight.

It’s not exactly the same, but I always thought it’d be neat if they were to create a minion menagerie. Especially after playing through the Toypocalypse~.

GW 1 Nostalgia

Vayne.8563

The game felt so huge.

By the time I bought it, the EOTN had been released. I played all the way from the northernmost edge in Jaga Morraine down to the southernmost areas in Cantha, all across the parched plains of Elona and up to again the endlessly burning forests of the Charr area.

I miss the scale and scope of the dungeons. Not cramped rooms filled with seemingly endless trash mobs but whole maps in their own right where you carefully maneuvered among the mobs, taking them out one by one. (And the Dreadspawn Maw in the Domain of Anguish, aka DoA or Dead on Arrival, scared the spit out of me by coming out of the ground right beside me the first time I was there). The Guild Wars 2 dungeons don’t evoke the same feelings of battling dangerous foes.

Keep in mind, I was able to finish all four Guild Wars 1 titles in a single week once.

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

The two things I really miss from Guild Wars 1 that didn’t make an appearance in this game, I hardly ever see mentioned at all.

The Zhaitian Managerie
The ability to view the game through the eyes of a teammate while you’re dead.

Those are two things I’d have loved to see here.

I think u mean Zaishan Menagerie lol. but yea, i miss those things myself, but when it comes to ranger pets, i really miss my Rainbow Phoenix. It’s so sad now when i got to gw1. I see my little baby Rainbow Phoenix roaming my Hall of Monuments all alone and i really want it in gw2, I worked so hard to get it and feels like it was all for nothing.

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: Bri.8354

Bri.8354

I miss the PvP formats.

GW1 had great PvP with a good amount of game formats. You had random arenas, guild vs guild, fort aspen wood, jade quarry, alliance battles, heroes ascent, and hero battles.

GW2 only has 2 game formats, one of which is intentionally broken yet they keep trying to make it competitive (WvW), and the other is very much unpopular (SPvP).

There’s just nothing in this game that begins to competes with the PvP from GW1 and its really disappointing.

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

I see Minis as Pet replacement if I understood you correctly. Little companion which is more of a fashion purpose than any other.

moreover, spectator system is available in PvP arenas, so that function is in game.

Point is, that GW2 compared to GW1 has only title and lore as something you can connect.

And I’m happy for how different system is.

Adding more dungeons would be nice, 12 man or even 24 man dungeons would be great.

hence I would be even after adding more world bosses which are like Tequatl The Sunless or Triple Trouble – matter of difficulty level of course.

In Main Story I don’t see Zhaitan dying. I see him only falling down. Anyone made sure he’s dead? Nope.

Why not making a 24 man instance or more to finish off Zhaitan?

Yes, Zhaitan fight for me was dull and incomplete in My Story.
That’s my idea for bringing it to light, but I’m aware that making something like this would take loads of time and resources.

nevertheless, I’m happy how Anet is listening to player ideas, and is working all the time to improve the game.

In my opinion, GW1 topics shouldn’t be brought here – at least not as much.
People should face it, GW1 is no more here, or rather, we have something new. Adapt and enjoy.

Like I have mentioned many times in many other threads, game is very player friendly – starting from casuals ending on hardcore ones.

The reason may why Anet doesn’t show a sign of care toward such threads and people complains is maybe because those threads aren’t constructive, or they already have stated it – GW2 is something new, and we’re going forward, we don’t want to stand in one place.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

The Zaishen Menagerie would be kinda neat. But only Rangers would be able to really use it though, since we don’t have sub-professions. Unless they made it possible to capture animals like some sort of.. uhm.. red, white and black ball that you throw and capture them with. You know.. that.. mhm. That could be fun too.

And it would be kinda awesome to spectate your team mates if you died in PvE. E.g., say you wipe at a dungeon boss and there’s this one guy left that knows how to solo, you could get a better view of the action from their perspective, maybe even learn something.

First person, yes, for screenshot purposes and just taking in the world. I don’t need to necessarily fight in first person, but at least let me gaze at your creation through what would be my characters eyes.

I also miss Cantha and Elona. I do hope we some day get to them. If only ArenaNet was secretly working on an expansion for one of those.. I’d shed a tear at its reveal. There’s plenty to Tyria left though, so a lot of content opportunities in what we already have as well. Hopefully Living World, Season 2 is expanding much more than just Dry Top as it progress.

I sort of miss Green items too. Hunting some boss-foes for unique stuff was somewhat fun to me. Frustrating when you had bad luck, but still fun overall.

More build variety. Now, traits do make up a build variety, it does. There is several ways of playing most professions thanks to those. But I miss the ability to change up skills, make builds based on the Elite chosen, such things. I don’t mind how the weapons dictate certain skills, but I wouldn’t exactly mind the ability to swap out skills for each weapon like with Utility skills. Some variety in the 1-5. Would make PvP more interesting to me at least (and I already love WvW).

Customizable UI was nice as well, though I actually do enjoy how GW2’s layout is. I’ve even gone as far as to try mimic it in Guild Wars when I play it these days.

Hard Mode, I really miss Hard Mode. I would love to see that for at least our instanced content. Dungeons for starters. Then I’d like to see them make the whole Personal Story re-playable. And Living Story, Season 1.

I miss the Zaishen Quests. That were dailies that is (I still do them) more fun to me. Doing Story Missions, getting a bonus for filling certain criterias, such as doing it within x amount of time or the Bonus objective of the Mission, and an even greater a bonus for doing it in Hard Mode. You could even sell your reward currency! It was great! Not sure the Bounty quests could be done in Guild Wars 2 without it being a mess. Dungeons perhaps? Vanquish, maybe for dungeons too? I mainly did the Story ones anyways.

I also really liked filling my Hall of Monuments. Something like that would be nice. Player housing perhaps with the ability to display rewards from accomplishments within the game? I’d say collecting armor would be an accomplishment here too. Having mannequins to display them on would be nice. Weapon stands for your weapons. Statues for finishing all achievements at Tequatl, Triple Trouble, etc.

There’s a lot more that I miss, but these are probably the top ones that I can think of right now. I also miss hexes on Mesmer, but that’s something benefiting a single profession, so yeah.. I’m fine with it being as-is.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by Absconditus.6804)

GW 1 Nostalgia

Vayne.8563

I see Minis as Pet replacement if I understood you correctly. Little companion which is more of a fashion purpose than any other.

moreover, spectator system is available in PvP arenas, so that function is in game.

Point is, that GW2 compared to GW1 has only title and lore as something you can connect.

And I’m happy for how different system is.

Adding more dungeons would be nice, 12 man or even 24 man dungeons would be great.

hence I would be even after adding more world bosses which are like Tequatl The Sunless or Triple Trouble – matter of difficulty level of course.

In Main Story I don’t see Zhaitan dying. I see him only falling down. Anyone made sure he’s dead? Nope.

Why not making a 24 man instance or more to finish off Zhaitan?

Yes, Zhaitan fight for me was dull and incomplete in My Story.
That’s my idea for bringing it to light, but I’m aware that making something like this would take loads of time and resources.

nevertheless, I’m happy how Anet is listening to player ideas, and is working all the time to improve the game.

In my opinion, GW1 topics shouldn’t be brought here – at least not as much.
People should face it, GW1 is no more here, or rather, we have something new. Adapt and enjoy.

Like I have mentioned many times in many other threads, game is very player friendly – starting from casuals ending on hardcore ones.

The reason may why Anet doesn’t show a sign of care toward such threads and people complains is maybe because those threads aren’t constructive, or they already have stated it – GW2 is something new, and we’re going forward, we don’t want to stand in one place.

Nah, minipets aren’t a replacement. We had minipets in Guild Wars 1 as well.

The menagerie was an Island where you could give over your pets to handlers so they could breed them for other characters on your account. It was a pretty big island, very well crafted that contained natural environments for every pet in the game. Zhaitian handlers bred them for your character’s use. You could go any time and see not only the pets but their off spring.

No fighting. Nothing to to there but walk around and explore. It was cool.

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

Zhaitian

I’m pretty sure it was Zaishen, haha.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

GW 1 Nostalgia

Vayne.8563

Zhaitian

I’m pretty sure it was Zaishen, haha.

Yes that. Too many games, too few brain cells. lol

GW 1 Nostalgia

Astral Projections.7320

The game felt so huge.

Keep in mind, I was able to finish all four Guild Wars 1 titles in a single week once.

I was talking about moving across the landscape and how big it felt. How big the dungeons were and how hard to fight the individual mobs were. Not whether one person could finish the game fast if they wanted to.

GW 1 Nostalgia

Vayne.8563

The game felt so huge.

I was talking about moving across the landscape and how big it felt. How big the dungeons were and how hard to fight the individual mobs were. Not whether one person could finish the game fast if they wanted to.

Guild Wars 1 (not dungeons the world) gave the illusion of size by limiting where you could and couldn’t go. It felt big because you could never go in a straight line to anywhere. You snaked back and forth on a path or one of a couple of paths through a large zone that was mostly inaccessible.

Take a look at the area north of Piken Square. It’s not really that big. But it’s very very hard to navigate. The illusion of size.

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: Sarevok.2638

Sarevok.2638

The main thing I miss from GW1 is non-conquest based spvp.

I’m opening that can of worms…

GW 1 Nostalgia

Esplen.3940

The main thing I miss from GW1 is non-conquest based spvp.

I’m opening that can of worms…

Random Arena limiting both traits and skills.

Yesssssss.

GW 1 Nostalgia

Astral Projections.7320

The game felt so huge.

Guild Wars 1 (not dungeons the world) gave the illusion of size by limiting where you could and couldn’t go. It felt big because you could never go in a straight line to anywhere. You snaked back and forth on a path or one of a couple of paths through a large zone that was mostly inaccessible.

Take a look at the area north of Piken Square. It’s not really that big. But it’s very very hard to navigate. The illusion of size.

Oh I know all that. I didn’t say they were bigger, I said they gw1 felt bigger. And it still does, Guild Wars 1 gives the illusion of more space by being spread out across a bigger potion of the known maps. By having Elona and Cantha, the Crystal Desert and the far north. By having the ring of fire and the huge dungeons that were whole maps in their own right.

There may be more map to Guild Wars 2 but it feels much more limited in size without the other continents and the large dungeons.

You did say this is a thread about nostalgia and this is what I feel nostalgic for.

GW 1 Nostalgia

Vayne.8563

The game felt so huge.

Oh I know all that. I didn’t say they were bigger, I said they gw1 felt bigger. And it still does, Guild Wars 1 gives the illusion of more space by being spread out across a bigger potion of the known maps. By having Elona and Cantha, the Crystal Desert and the far north. By having the ring of fire and the huge dungeons that were whole maps in their own right.

There may be more map to Guild Wars 2 but it feels much more limited in size without the other continents and the large dungeons.

You did say this is a thread about nostalgia and this is what I feel nostalgic for.

Well, yes, that’s true.

I just saw through the illusion and Guild Wars 1 always felt smaller to me, even than other MMOs. Probably because I started with WoW and was used to a truly open world, and then felt very claustrophobic by comparison.

GW 1 Nostalgia

Astral Projections.7320

The game felt so huge.

Well, yes, that’s true.

I just saw through the illusion and Guild Wars 1 always felt smaller to me, even than other MMOs. Probably because I started with WoW and was used to a truly open world, and then felt very claustrophobic by comparison.

I miss the far north. I miss Cantha, Elona, the Crystal Desert.
It’s been 2 years and there hasn’t even been the hint that we will see these areas again.

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

The game felt so huge.

you can probably finish gw2 in 1 day if you so desire. I think personal story takes about an hour per plotline with like 8 big plotlines.
bulk of time in gw2 is spent leveling, which you can do via crafting if you want.

GW 1 Nostalgia

Astral Projections.7320

Lol. Well next time I will know better than to respond to a thread by Vayne since if your feelings of nostalgia don’t match with his, he will tell you where you are wrong.

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

arena net should use their china profit to acquire 9 dragons
implement Cantha 1328 A.E.
pretty much that would cure my nostalgia

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

GW 1 Nostalgia

Vayne.8563

Lol. Well next time I will know better than to respond to a thread by Vayne since if your feelings of nostalgia don’t match with his, he will tell you where you are wrong.

Sorry mate, but you’re being way too sensitive.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m simply saying my experience is different. I really wish people were able to understand the difference between these things.

If you say something and I don’t have the same experience, why shouldn’t I be able to say it?

If that invalidates your experience to you, in my opinion you’re being too sensitive. I never said you were wrong. I never used those words. This is you painting your opinion of what I’m saying over what I’m actually saying.

GW 1 Nostalgia

Astral Projections.7320

I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m simply saying my experience is different. I really wish people were able to understand the difference between these things.

If you say something and I don’t have the same experience, why shouldn’t I be able to say it?

If that invalidates your experience to you, in my opinion you’re being too sensitive. I never said you were wrong. I never used those words. This is you painting your opinion of what I’m saying over what I’m actually saying.

Yep, you’re right, you’re always right. Even in a thread about individual perceptions and feelings.

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: AngelDiscarnate.5489

AngelDiscarnate.5489

The ancient art of keg bombing.
>__o
I was brought back to that, my first hardcore farm, by a dwarven powder keg. To which I said over Map chat, “I miss you, Budger….”

Secondary professions.

And my monk.

Edit:
Also, it’s Zaishen Menagerie, not Zhaitan… :/

I play Fort Aspenwood, I lead the 8 member guild, Sacred Storm [Strm] I am Jason Goes Mental.
I don’t raid, I barely fractal, and I suck beyond words at PvP and WvW.
But I try, and that’s what counts.

(edited by AngelDiscarnate.5489)

GW 1 Nostalgia

Vayne.8563

Yep, you’re right, you’re always right. Even in a thread about individual perceptions and feelings.

Did you even read what I said?

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

Dinosaurs! Seriously, how is it that no one else seems bothered by their absence???

GW 1 Nostalgia

Esplen.3940

Dinosaurs! Seriously, how is it that no one else seems bothered by their absence???

Tyria != Earth.

GW 1 Nostalgia

CrashTestAuto.9108

Tyria != Earth.

I… know?

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: sMihaly.1492

sMihaly.1492

They have 4 legs + wings, so they are called dragons.

I miss the Onis. And all the enemies that popped up from nothing when you got close to them. But… well, that might be too confusing for players.

GW 1 Nostalgia

Esplen.3940

Tyria != Earth.

I… know?

So why are Asura, Norn, Charr, Sylvari, Dredge, Kodan, Risen, Quaggan, Krait, Karka, and more absent from Earth?

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: AdaephonDelat.3890

AdaephonDelat.3890

Tyria != Earth.

I… know?

So why are Asura, Norn, Charr, Sylvari, Dredge, Kodan, Risen, Quaggan, Krait, Karka, and more absent from Earth?

I never played GW1 but I think CrashTest is referring to these -

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Dinosaur

[BAD] a casual PvE guild on Aurora Glade.
http://bad-eu.guildlaunch.com
The Family Deuce. Asuran Adventure Specialists.

GW 1 Nostalgia

CrashTestAuto.9108

Tyria != Earth.

I… know?

I never played GW1 but I think CrashTest is referring to these -

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Dinosaur

That is what I was referring to… I am, completely confused as to how this wasn’t clear in a thread on GW 1 nostalgia :S

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

Things i miss from GW1:

• The hex/enchantment system. It allowed some very fun/complex mechanics.
  • The life(/energy) regeneration and degeneration system. I dont like ticks of damage, i like bleeding to actually bleed off the victim gradually. I liked how regen and degen could balance each other out visibly with those little arrows. Im just weird like that.
  • Interrupts. Proper ones that are not CC effects that bosses soak up with their Defiance…
  • Build templates were convenient.
  • I miss that massive “whoah…” feeling right after the Searing, when you get to see the wasteland right after playing through the lush greens of Ascalon… Destruction of LA was close, but the time for it to sink in had to wait until the aftermath (and the Lament of Lions Arch theme).
  • Hard mode put a good twist into the game.
  • I kinda miss the personalized feeling that an instance-based gameplay gives. MMOs are not for me I guess, for I dislike massive zergs. (Though groups smaller than 15 are still fine in my book.)
  • I miss those storybooks we used to fill and be able to trade in for various rewards at various levels of completeness.

What i would miss from GW2 (and why i dont just play GW1 instead):

• dynamic combat, dodging, positioning and area targeting. All the CC.
  • Z axis. I like jumping off a ledge to gain some distance from mobs or just making a shortcut. Add underwater content here too.
  • Orr. I would miss Orr as much as i miss the Crystal Desert.
  • The chance for well-made massive group events (like the Twisted Marionette was).
  • (music: some of the living world musics were rivaling and even outshining Jeremy Soule’s stock music…)

GW 1 Nostalgia

Esplen.3940

I totally forgot about dinosaurs, I apologize. Closest I remember are Raptors… mmmm raptor farming..

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

I liked the mercenary heroes. Not really viable in GW2, but having all my characters fighting as a team was pretty cool.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

GW 1 Nostalgia

CrashTestAuto.9108

I totally forgot about dinosaurs, I apologize. Closest I remember are Raptors… mmmm raptor farming..

I did wonder :P

Which brings me back to my point, how has everyone managed to forget that GW1 had frickin’ DINOSAURS in it????

GW 1 Nostalgia

CrashTestAuto.9108

I liked the mercenary heroes. Not really viable in GW2, but having all my characters fighting as a team was pretty cool.

Actually I think it could be semi-workable. If they introduced an elite skill for everyone that was less powerful than all the other elite skills (like the racial skills) that would summon a random NPC of a different class, then they could introduce a gem store item that would give those NPCs the look and name of any random character of the same class on your account.

Think Thieves Guild, but with one of the thieves having the look and name of a character on your account (obviously not the stats and skills though).

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I can see why they didn’t do the Menagerie though. That was only for rangers…

Incorrect. I quite often had my Rainbow Phoenix fight alongside me while I was an ele.

As long as you were /R or R/ then you could equip pets. Some transparency for those who didn’t GW1.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

GW 1 Nostalgia

Vayne.8563

I can see why they didn’t do the Menagerie though. That was only for rangers…

Incorrect. I quite often had my Rainbow Phoenix fight alongside me while I was an ele.

As long as you were /R or R/ then you could equip pets. Some transparency for those who didn’t GW1.

Why is everyone so quick to try to disprove what I say? This is my entire paragraph:

“I can see why they didn’t do the Menagerie though. That was only for rangers…but in Guild Wars 1, everyone could have a pet by making their second profession a ranger. Where was here, you’d be making an entire area for one profession out of eight.”

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

You’re being too sensitive…

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

GW 1 Nostalgia

Vayne.8563

You’re being too sensitive…

Some might think I have reason. lol

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

I have a theory that the entirety of the Zaishen Menagerie was washed ashore near Orr and they peacefully coexisted for so long before, that they made a living for themselves with each other in the cave east of Thunderhead WP…

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

I miss the ANet of those days. It seems like budget constraints and chaos is all we have left

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

GW 1 Nostalgia

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

Which brings me back to my point, how has everyone managed to forget that GW1 had frickin’ DINOSAURS in it????

Since a friend and I just crossed from one corner of Sparkfly Fen to the other the other night for a Z-bounty, dodging huge groups of necro-dinos; I wonder where all the non-Raptor dinosaurs went as well.

I played GW2 for almost two years before I bought GW1, and have earned my 30 points now. I still have stories left to go through, and things I haven’t completed yet (DoA, Underworld, etc).

Things I have gotten used to in GW1 that I really feel are lacking in GW2 are:
Templates – In GW2 dungeons, organized fights, or WvW roaming; I’m likely to change my traits, utilities, and/or weapons several times during a session. Templates would make it way faster and easier to switch between commonly used setups.

Hard Mode – Or difficulty levels like my previous MMO (normal mode doable by most PUGs; hard needs a bit of organization, but has higher drop rates; elite for the most experienced organized groups, but with even higher drop rates) . I’m still too inexperienced to do much with hard mode in GW1, but I appreciate it being there for those who have put in the time, money for gear, and the desire for challenge. It would only work for instanced areas in GW2, but it would allow groups to select their desired risk/reward ratio.

Zaishen Missions/bounties/etc, Nicholas the Traveler, War in Kryta bounties – Daily/weekly tasks used to help focus player activity. In GW2, it could be used to, if only temporarily, revitalize lesser used areas, or to lead people who may not normally do something to give it a try. The daily achievements did a bit of that in the past, but are quickly completed and are more easily skipped due to the daily AP cap.

Build Variety – While the meta for a specific area of the game is close to the same size, there was a far greater variety of specialized or “fun but still effective” builds that people could use for certain tasks. A bit of that is more due to the larger number of skill choices and secondary professions, but another part is due to just how much variety is in the game.

Bosses could be CC’ed, but were still dangerous if you didn’t time your CC’s and interrupts effectively. The Defiant system in GW2 doesn’t seem as enjoyable or strategic (but managing Defiance stacks is still an important part of high end combat).

The game feels larger because you visit so many more locales. As said, the winding paths help extend the feeling of size over what it actually is. The variety in flora/fauna also helps make similar looking areas feel different (like how each Crystal Desert region feels way different because of what mobs are in it, even though they all look similar).

The Nightfall tutorial was a very effective way of learning how to play.

When I’m on GW1, I miss:
Dodging (I see an AoE, and I instinctively try to dodge out of it now)
The more active playstyle
Combos (it adds a lot of interplay to GW2 combat, and is so poorly understood by the majority of the GW2 community)
Jumping (especially optional puzzles for those who wish for a diversion)
Seeing others out in the world, and forming temporary ad-hoc groups to accomplish something
The friendlier design of GW2 that encourages cooperation (each contributor gets exp and an individual chance at loot, instanced nodes, most events are sped up with more people, anyone can res without requiring one of your skills be a res skill)
I like that defensive support in GW2 is more about preventing damage (like a GW1 Prot monk), and less about healing it back up (like typical Trinity healers).

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]