GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

I really don´t want to debate GW2´s quality, but what you like about games is really about personal taste in the end. This is just an opinion, a blogger is just one singular voice, even more so when it comes to games where the audience is often as informed and invested as the journalists. There haven´t been many big launches last year anyway, TSW would have been a great contender with it´s deep game design if it had GW2´s polish, but sadly…. well, you know.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: MordredXIII.8526

MordredXIII.8526

This thread is a joke right?

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Until recently we had wow-killers jumping around every corner. Recently every new game that is announced will be better than GW2, sounds familiar? Has world given up on killing wow finnaly?

Nope, we’re just on GW2 forums. Everyone else is still comparing everything new to WoW.

And about GW2 being the best MMO of 2013… well, being the best is not that hard when the whole genre is in a deep slump.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

If you think that GW2 killed WoW, you are sadly mistaken. WoW is wildly popular still, despite losing customers.

The only thing that will kill WoW is WoW.

Or possibly Project Titan…(whatever that turns out to be).

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

WoW will never die… it will just be bought by eBay.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

Anyone who is still playing obviously likes the game, or they’d be playing one of the dozens of other free mmo’s. I think gw2 is pretty good, but it certainly needs work. The only other MMO I can even name from last year was Secret World, and it didn’t interest me at all (if it was even in the timeframe for this award).

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

As for your problems that you point out in GW2 i suggestion that you play with GOOD players because as far as i can tell you have tried pvp wvw even pve in the most shallow way possible because you have no idea what going on there at all.

If you say so only cause i’m being critical on serious issues left ongoing for months, ok…

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

(edited by AndrewSX.3794)

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: dronzer.8392

dronzer.8392

AA and Wildstar only cause they will be the next mmos on market with a decent chance to hold their ground.

I honestly don’t see either of those being able to claim a good share of the market, both of them don’t seem like their anything special, What made GW2 stand out is they marketed the product as something different, to change the genre / insert more propaganda here/ and that appealed to a lot of the audience, that with the art aesthetic made it real attractive and that allowed it to capture the audience, it was just the title wasn’t able to hold onto many of them.

I don’t see the titles you’ve listed having the same success if I’m completely honest.

In regards to that article, if it doesn’t list current active titles – such as Warcraft, Rift etc etc then how can one take it seriously? and the article list ends at 7… who does that? o.O

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

I don’t see the titles you’ve listed having the same success if I’m completely honest.

Matter of taste i guess – but the point is just that in 10 months GW2 had nearly 0 competitors, while something decent is coming up in next months, now.

You won’t play it? Prolly neither am i. But look at the big picture.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

Nothing with the “wow” factor really came out in 2013, and GW2 continues to update it’s content, so it seems plausible that they would hold the title. Living story might have alot of RNG, but it’s alot better than what we normally get.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: dronzer.8392

dronzer.8392

Matter of taste i guess – but the point is just that in 10 months GW2 had nearly 0 competitors, while something decent is coming up in next months, now.

You won’t play it? Prolly neither am i. But look at the big picture.

True it’ll be appealing to some players but I’m not convinced on their success, I see FFXIV realm reborn preforming better, even if their original was an absolute flop (and FYI I don’t see FFXIV being successful anyway given it’s history) but its all a matter of opinion.

GW2 has always had competition, may just not from “new sources”.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

If you think that GW2 killed WoW, you are sadly mistaken. WoW is wildly popular still, despite losing customers.

The only thing that will kill WoW is WoW.

Neither game is going to “kill” the other, they both have their loyal fans and players that enjoy those playstyles.

But a big difference is 2 million people playing across 50 realms vs 2 million people playing across 500 realms. GW2 feels more lively since it’s not trying to support 450 dead realms.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

But a big difference is 2 million people playing across 50 realms vs …

please no more made up number. As far as I know everyone is making up GW2 population number ranging from 200k to 2 million.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: Araziel.7201

Araziel.7201

Did that guy just say there was 2 million people playing GW2? Lol, that was a good one.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: Kisses.1054

Kisses.1054

MMOs in general have been bad recently. I had a lot of expectations (too high expectations) for this game and in fact it turns out to be one of the worst I’ve played. There is a tendency to rush things out half-finished, what does come out is either a bad imitation of wow and previous games, or something awful and shallow, or something which could be cool but didn’t factor in game engine/system and latency requirements. Then after it comes out development grinds to a halt and nothing gets improved or fixed. At least with other games it’s generally a finished product.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

If you want to truly prove which game is the best, vote in the MMORPG of the year awards, don’t read articles from a site that blatantly reviews games on a per paycheck basis.

All the game sites do, for example right now Massively are clearly being paid $$$ by FFXIV marketing since you can’t post any comment that isn’t praising FFXIV without it being removed very quickly.

So yes, vote.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

It turns out to be nothing, it was scraped.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: xiv.7136

xiv.7136

Project Titan was scrapped.

A month ago, they downsized the team on it and decided to start back on square one with the concept.

I’m guessing it was WoW mechanics in space, and in 2013 that just wouldn’t fly. WoW’s game mechanics are old and tired, the only people still playing WoW are the slow movers who got left behind. Either that or it was MMOFPS like Destiny. Just not as good. Either way, Titan scrapped.

GW2 is the best MMO out there, with the best gameplay (and graphics/art). It’s not perfect, but nothing ever is.

(edited by xiv.7136)

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

A month ago, they downsized the team on it and decided to start back on square one with the concept.

Really? I hadn’t heard this.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: xiv.7136

xiv.7136

Really? I hadn’t heard this.

Press release from late May 2013. Titan project reset, team downsized. Think Duke Nukem.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

I Call BS. These kind of things are all about $$$.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Guild Wars 2 is one of those few games that, even if you didn’t enjoy it after you maxed yourself out, you can still look at the $60 you spent and say, “That was worth it.”

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: Babayum.9204

Babayum.9204

Depends what will be actually released in upcoming 6 months.

So far the competitors are so bad that Gw2, even with all its flaws, it’s prolly best option on the market atm.
(imo).

But yeah, just let WildStar or Archeage get out and things will change, and fast.

Archeage, are you serious? That game looks terrible.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Vayne.8563

Depends what will be actually released in upcoming 6 months.

So far the competitors are so bad that Gw2, even with all its flaws, it’s prolly best option on the market atm.
(imo).

But yeah, just let WildStar or Archeage get out and things will change, and fast.

Archeage, are you serious? That game looks terrible.

I had big hopes for Archeage before Trion bought it.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Araziel.7201

Proof that Bill Murphy is nothing more than a goon and you can’t put much merit into any of his voting. I often wonder who the “we” are that he speaks of, lol.

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/7501/page/1

Naming EQ next the best game at E3 and no one has seen anything of it!? Geesh…

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

I think MMOs in general just suck, at least for me that’s true.

One one hand you have pay to play MMOs who’s sole job is to slow you down and make you come back again. They have a number of different ways to do this, particularly the slowing down part. Grinding for levels, of course, lock outs, slow crafting, flight paths, dailies for rep, and of course grinding dungeons for gear. Sorry not my scene.

Then you have F2P mmos, some of which are grindy and pay to make them playable. Some of which have content locked off and pay to unlock that (or grind till you drop to unlock it) and some of them have pay to win options, the worst of the three.

Then you have games like Guild Wars 2, which I enjoy, but still uses RNG in lock boxes, and arbitrary achievements and temporary content to keep people logging in.

Of them all, Guild Wars 2 is the best solution for me and my style of play…but it’s far from perfect.

So you know, I’ve done WoW, Rift, Lotro, DDO, Perfect World, AoC, Aion, Eve, and tried a few others.

I’m not thinking that future games are necessarily going to be any better either.

Pretty much everything stated above… I typically loathe MMO’s, but GW2 struck such a good balance in design it hooked me. The leet MMO types complain here a lot to make it more like the others – I for one hope it stays the same (minus the recent performance issues, naturally).

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Guild Wars 2 is one of those few games that, even if you didn’t enjoy it after you maxed yourself out, you can still look at the $60 you spent and say, “That was worth it.”

Well, it’s a little bit more for me :o

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: jayb.1329

jayb.1329

i love all the annoying backhanded compliments itt

seriously if you don’t even play the game anymore.
ytf do you get on the forums?

you guys are so annoying with your “i came back after 7 months to see that all my guildies left the game too that must mean it sucks”

i’d be completely surprised if a single one of you actually had your own opinions and wasn’t just faking rage because of something somebody else said.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: jayb.1329

jayb.1329

MMOs in general have been bad recently. I had a lot of expectations (too high expectations) for this game and in fact it turns out to be one of the worst I’ve played. There is a tendency to rush things out half-finished, what does come out is either a bad imitation of wow and previous games, or something awful and shallow, or something which could be cool but didn’t factor in game engine/system and latency requirements. Then after it comes out development grinds to a halt and nothing gets improved or fixed. At least with other games it’s generally a finished product.

yea
according to you.
i wouldn’t take your assessment to serious though

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

At least with other games it’s generally a finished product.

I’m sorry to inform you, but the tendency to rush an uncompleted game to the market is there since at least Fallout 2. Nowadays, it’s so common that it would be easier (much easier – though i’d be hard-pressed to name even one) to count the games that do not follow this strategy.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Then you have games like Guild Wars 2, which I enjoy, but still uses RNG in lock boxes, and arbitrary achievements and temporary content to keep people logging in.

Of them all, Guild Wars 2 is the best solution for me and my style of play…but it’s far from perfect.

I have to say that even pay-to-play MMOs are among the cheapest forms of entertainment, hour for dollar. Consider other games that cost like $60 and you spend a rainy weekend or two playing them, reach the end of the game and either play everything over again on harder mode or set it aside and buy another. Cable/satellite tv with the premium packages can run over $100 a month, my Rift sub was $100 a year.

And, yes, sometimes the free games kind of push you towards pay content, but if you just log in once in a while to relax and aren’t a “gotta keep up with the Jones family next door” type person you don’t ever have to spend a penny on them.

And for an absurdly low price they throw new content at you on a semi-regular basis, other games might get two or three downloadable updates which combined cost as much as another game.

I’d say it’s a pretty good deal, all things considered.

Well said sir, it is a great deal. I have always looked at MMO subs as the best form of entertainment. 50 cents a day for unlimited entertainment, or go see a movie for $20…hmm…choices…. :P

Except those 50 cents easily double considering most people simply can’t play every day. Quadruple that if you take into consideration that everyone goes on holiday, has kids, has exams or needs to go away for business once in a while. A month not played is a month still paid. That’s a huge pet peeve I have with subs for games … I simply can’t play every day, therefor breaking it down to cost per day is meaningless.

To compare MMOs to one of the most expensive forms of entertainment per hour is a false argument. At least going to the movies is usually done with friends or significant others, while people who sub to MMOs are notoriously anti-social.
Honestly, the 30 to 100 euros I tend to spend every weekend on good food and a nice party is better spent than the 15 euros I used to spend on subs.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I have to say that even pay-to-play MMOs are among the cheapest forms of entertainment, hour for dollar. Consider other games that cost like $60 and you spend a rainy weekend or two playing them, reach the end of the game and either play everything over again on harder mode or set it aside and buy another. Cable/satellite tv with the premium packages can run over $100 a month, my Rift sub was $100 a year.

And, yes, sometimes the free games kind of push you towards pay content, but if you just log in once in a while to relax and aren’t a “gotta keep up with the Jones family next door” type person you don’t ever have to spend a penny on them.

And for an absurdly low price they throw new content at you on a semi-regular basis, other games might get two or three downloadable updates which combined cost as much as another game.

I’d say it’s a pretty good deal, all things considered.

Well said sir, it is a great deal. I have always looked at MMO subs as the best form of entertainment. 50 cents a day for unlimited entertainment, or go see a movie for $20…hmm…choices…. :P

Except those 50 cents easily double considering most people simply can’t play every day. Quadruple that if you take into consideration that everyone goes on holiday, has kids, has exams or needs to go away for business once in a while. A month not played is a month still paid. That’s a huge pet peeve I have with subs for games … I simply can’t play every day, therefor breaking it down to cost per day is meaningless.

To compare MMOs to one of the most expensive forms of entertainment per hour is a false argument. At least going to the movies is usually done with friends or significant others, while people who sub to MMOs are notoriously anti-social.
Honestly, the 30 to 100 euros I tend to spend every weekend on good food and a nice party is better spent than the 15 euros I used to spend on subs.

I absolutely agree with marnick here.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: DeathMetal.8264

DeathMetal.8264

Good to know that my choice of game is in #1….

Lv80 Thief |Mesmer |Necromancer|Ranger|Guardian|Warrior|Elementalist|Engineer
[Aeon of Wonder]
Maguuma Server

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

This thread should be locked as it fosters discussion outside of Guild Wars 2.

Come on mods..at least be consistant.

However, I agree with the article. GW2 should be atop the list. Im glad neverwinter is one there. Bumpy start, but it is a solid completely 100% free game to which the combat is addictive and the environment is unique. WoW should be on there with MoP, even though its the worst expansion to date in terms of response. Surprised Age of Wushu and Darkfall were on it. Rift needs to be on there. Tera, maybe.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Araziel.7201

Problem with Neverwinter being on that list is that it’s still in beta. It won’t be released for 2 more days and hasn’t been out for the year and is taking up another games spot.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

That list doesn’t pass the sniff test because WoW isn’t even in the top 7. Really?

Cheers.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: ManiumX.4735

ManiumX.4735

Slightly off topic, but has anyone taken the time to read the responses to that article?

It’s REALLY entertaining stuff.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Vayne.8563

Problem with Neverwinter being on that list is that it’s still in beta. It won’t be released for 2 more days and hasn’t been out for the year and is taking up another games spot.

I’m not even sure I’d call it an MMO. It’s more like a lobby game dungeon crawl.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: Parlourbeatflex.5970

Parlourbeatflex.5970

I’ve seen this posted before. It’s not unexpected. It’s been a pretty bad year for MMOs in general. I don’t really expect next year to be much better.

A lot of the problems with MMOs today is the unrealistic expectation of players. I’m not talking about people who want harder core games or more sand box features. I’m talking about people who go into games expecting them to be relatively bug free, or get updated faster than possible or have more content faster than is possible.

Sometimes I feel like Scotty on the Enterprise yelling, “I can’t change the laws of physics. This repair is going to take some time.” lol

this is it exactly.

As i was talking to a guildie about this last night, ill say the same here;

Picture ANY vanilla MMO and compare it with guild wars 2. Theres not many I can think of thats better in terms of content, quality/polish and innovation.

The problem stems from expectation that has amounted for new games, originately from expections set by games that have been public for an age.
Someone who has played WoW for years wants a new MMO that instantly does everything WoW has done… and more. Its ridiculous because each game is within its own right, completely different from each other. So even if technology allows devs to keep up with past innovations, theres still alot of testing that individual communities have to report and review. Its all trial and error. One feature in guild wars 1 might not work with the audience guild wars 2 has for example.

That is what takes real time, and how many developers tend to make huge mistakes, its learning how to develop for each specific community in mind that’s the problem.

Sometimes I wonder if people actually understand the work involved in the games they play.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

So GW2 is the best MMO has to offer…

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: Knox.3748

Knox.3748

Says alot about mmos these days

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

WoW became what it is only because of lucky circumstances. I guarantee that if it had another few MMO’s to compete with for playerbase it would never reach such success.

So did GW2… A WoW lite, for free, when the only other competition was The Secret World (a MMO when you have to actually use your brain in order do get the quest done? NEVER! Let’s go spam autoattack on a dragon… inb4 “go play it, then”, i’m doing it already.)
That’s for me (again, inb4 Vayne speaking for the whole community), why GW2 was release prematurely, when i should’ve need at least 5 or 6 months of REAL closed beta.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: Ping.5739

Ping.5739

How interesting TERA and WoW didn’t even got mentioned in that article.
I sense a great troll coming from the writer.

TERA: sub-based to f2p, free contents just like gw2, unique combat system, better weapon skins imo, and hardcore content/grind. I don’t see why the article should left it out of the list.

Though WoW has became totally another game, it’s still one of the greatest game(lore, combat, instance, customization, pvp, whatever you can think about a mmo). Ignoring it in the list is like a slap on mmo-player’s face.

This useless bar doesn’t make you awesome. However, stuff above does.

(edited by Ping.5739)

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: Ping.5739

Ping.5739

WoW became what it is only because of lucky circumstances. I guarantee that if it had another few MMO’s to compete with for playerbase it would never reach such success.

So did GW2… A WoW lite, for free, when the only other competition was The Secret World (a MMO when you have to actually use your brain in order do get the quest done? NEVER! Let’s go spam autoattack on a dragon… inb4 “go play it, then”, i’m doing it already.)
That’s for me (again, inb4 Vayne speaking for the whole community), why GW2 was release prematurely, when i should’ve need at least 5 or 6 months of REAL closed beta.

Master Vayne won’t even waste his/her time on pathetic folks like us.

This useless bar doesn’t make you awesome. However, stuff above does.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: Wildfire.3849

Wildfire.3849

I played FFXIV’s beta over the weekend and it was one of the best times I’ve had in years in MMO’s

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

i dont see the point, we are only half way of 2013 and e3 just happened like 1 week ago

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

GW2… number one MMORPG of 2013…

…until ESO is released at the end of 2013….

ESO is built to play on a console…I wont be holding my breath for it to be any good. However, that said, I take issue with that list for many reasons. Not the least of which is the reputation of the site posting it. Personal opinion would also place (at least) TSW and Eve (both of which I play) ahead of GW2

(edited by Phaedryn.3698)

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Vayne.8563

Master Vayne won’t even waste his/her time on pathetic folks like us.

Wow you guys are fixated on me. It’s really not healthy you know.

The reason this game is the #1 (and not just in that poll but in the minds of lots of people, but not all people) is because other MMOs mostly suck really badly.

It’s true. I never said this was a great game. I said it was a good game. But a good game in MMO space can be a whole lot better than the scores of mediocre and bad games that come out.

I agree…the game could have used more time in development. I mean Star Wars ToR was a much bigger project from a much bigger company and that didn’t launch early or have any bugs. TSW didn’t launch early or have any bugs either. Coughs.

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: Resonance.4216

Resonance.4216

1) It’s may

2) no competition.

Elementalist of Oceanix [OCX]
http://www.oceanix.com.au

GW 2 #1 mmo of 2013

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Didn’t you get the memo? Every MMO out there is popular, rng-free, has full servers all the time, and has no bugs. The only exception is [insert name of MMO here].