GW1 Plagiarized?

GW1 Plagiarized?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Echo Shot.6479

Echo Shot.6479

I’ll try to keep this short and simple, sorry if I’m breaking any forum rules, I do not post often.

While browsing steam for some tactical turn-based games, I came across “The Storm Guard: Darkness is coming”. Their fourth screenshot as shown on the store page shows the skill set of a class known as healer. Upon further looking at the picture, attached below, I noticed that all of the skills listed are GW1 monk skills (except for “heal”), as well as the usage of the term protection and enchantment. Maybe I’m reading too much into it and the developers of this game are in their rights to use the same skill names, but isn’t this a form of plagiarism? I’m not too familiar with Western fantasy games but “life bond, infuse health, and protective spirit” is just too unique to me compared to the ubiquitous “Fireball” skill. Could someone who has that game verify if that game has other skill names that are the same from GW1?

I didn’t know what action I should’ve taken that would’ve been deemed appropriate or if I should’ve posted here in this forum section, but I really do love GW1 and its uniqueness, and a part of GW1’s charm was how they approached combat with their skills, so I was a uncomfortable seeing ANET’s monk skills so blatantly copied. However, it also isn’t my intent to go after Bitmen studios. I’m sure some of you might be thinking, oh a narc. A totally legitimate sentiment, but please keep comments constructive: as if you’re in class debating on something controversial.

PS: not a lot to comb over in the community hub but I did find this short guide.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=765277370
Upon reading it closely, there’s more familiar gw1 elements such as “lead strike, off hand, finishing blow” along with other skill names such as bull’s charge…again, if anyone has the game and is familiar with GW1 skill names, or would care to double check it against the GW1 wiki, please share.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

TLDR: could someone please verify if this game is using skill names from GW1?

Attachments:

(edited by Echo Shot.6479)

GW1 Plagiarized?

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

might be something there. those are definitely all gw1 monk skills.

upon watching a video I have noticed some other skill names being used. uh oh!

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

(edited by Stand The Wall.6987)

GW1 Plagiarized?

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Many games before and after GW1 have had similar skill names. Even the good old pen&parer RPGs had spells of similar names (and probably some still have). There is nothing particularly unique about those skill names, so I doubt it qualifies as plagiarism.

GW1 Plagiarized?

Posted by: Leon de Damasco.8105

Leon de Damasco.8105

Hi!
We had a post like this just 15 days ago and Gaile Gray posted an answer about that particular.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Illegal-use-of-Guild-Wars-Artwork
Agree… the skills’ name looks too similar, take her advice and let ANet decides.
Have fun.

GW1 Plagiarized?

Posted by: Nick Lentz.6982

Nick Lentz.6982

There is only one skill that is guild wars exclusive, the rest are either universal or from other games that came out before gw1.

It’s like saying guild wars has full claim to warrior ranger or assassin.

Guardian of Maguuma
Grand Warden of I Crit Under Pressure.
message me for an invite ^_^

GW1 Plagiarized?

Echo Shot.6479

Would you mind listing that skill, or were you just being not literal?

I’m not too familiar with western games but I felt things like life bond and using hexes and enchantments and adrenaline and the description of some of the classes seemed all too familiar to something I felt unique to GW1, but yes it’s not like there’s never been a “Ranger” or an “elementalist” or a “Fireball” or even a adrenaline mechanic. Again, as the OP I’m relying on more experienced players who have more knowledge…esp. those who’ve bought both games and can compare…

GW1 Plagiarized?

Posted by: Nick Lentz.6982

Nick Lentz.6982

Would you mind listing that skill, or were you just being not literal?

I’m not too familiar with western games but I felt things like life bond and using hexes and enchantments and adrenaline and the description of some of the classes seemed all too familiar to something I felt unique to GW1, but yes it’s not like there’s never been a “Ranger” or an “elementalist” or a “Fireball” or even a adrenaline mechanic. Again, as the OP I’m relying on more experienced players who have more knowledge…esp. those who’ve bought both games and can compare…

Alright, Healing Breeze was an item to heal in Legend of Dragoon
Heal- that’s an obvious universal.
Guardian- I assume just another word for Aegis which is used in a lot of games
Dismiss condition- this one is worded the same and not used in other games.
Heal other- that’s used in Elder Scrolls, wording anyway
Protective Spirit- used in Everquest
Life Bond is a Star Wars term.
Which is why stuff like this isn’t illegal, per se. If it was exactly identical in skill use cool down buff etcs, then maybe?

Guardian of Maguuma
Grand Warden of I Crit Under Pressure.
message me for an invite ^_^

GW1 Plagiarized?

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/List_of_monk_skills

Ya those are all specific to monks in gw1 minus heal I suppose. Not that it really matters short of them copying nearly every skill name and their effects.

GW1 Plagiarized?

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

Most of the skills they use are just normal words put together. OR even form games before GW1. I think they are fair game. Otherwise Anet could be in trouble for using “Balthazar”

If you want to protect your skill use a made-up name or word someplace in it like “Dwayna’s Kiss”. That should be off limits to anyone but Anet

GW1 Plagiarized?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

It’s more than just the names, what the abilities actually do are also copied. All they’d have to do is change a word though, if it even mattered. They apparently took inspiration from other games. Their greenlight description states “gameplay in the Storm Guard can be described as a mixture of XCOM, FTL and Guild Wars”

GW1 Plagiarized?

Echo Shot.6479

Haha thanks Healix, I guess it does help to read:

“Gameplay in the Storm Guard can be described as a mixture of XCOM, FTL and Guild Wars. It is divided into three layers: the strategy layer, the exploration layer and the combat layer. You, Lord Commander, are in charge of the order and must lead it during these dark times.”

While this does allay a lot of worry, I still wonder if the mechanics they used were simply just copied from GW1, but I have no way of verifying this.

Thanks Leon for the link, I did submit a ticket,
Thanks Nick for the additional examples, they really do help give better contextual info.,
and good points Angelica, as I do feel Dwayna would be a unique GW1 god, but again, no way of verifying if they used Dwayna’s kiss in game…although I highly doubt it given how they have multiple classes across different races.

(edited by Echo Shot.6479)

GW1 Plagiarized?

Posted by: Kelly.7019

Kelly.7019

oh, god that font is horrible to look at

Yo, Ho, all together, raise the colors high,
Yo, Ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die

GW1 Plagiarized?

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I think it’s kind of a double edged sword.
I notice how many games use similar names when it comes to cliche stuff like
‘being holy, being evil, weapon attacks’ etc
While this particular list is very reminiscent of GW1 monk skills, the names are also very generic, so it’s technically possible for it to be coincidence.

I mean, you can hardly copyright a generic name like “prayer” or “blessing”

GW1 Plagiarized?

Echo Shot.6479

Alright, just FYI, please also check out the short guide, it contains more insight into more skill names and even mechanics. And following up to Stand the Wall looking at videos, I looked at two youtube videos as well, and it seems they really lifted GW1 mechanics, such as knock downs, bleeding, crippled, hexes, enchanments, etc. etc. Of course again, you could defend the game saying these are all common elements in other games, and I agree, and in fact I don’t mind playing a tactical-turn based game using GW1 mechanics, however if it’s a question of plagiarism it’s still left up in the air. Thanks all for taking a look at the screenshot. (Just don’t beat the screenshot to death anymore)

GW1 Plagiarized?

Posted by: Sir Mad.1092

Sir Mad.1092

Those skill names ain’t that original… And keep in mind GW also references to other games. The S/P Thief skills for instance come from Warhammer: Age of Reckoning (it’s a direct reference to the Witch Hunters main build).

I don’t see anything wrong with that, as long as both games are completely different, by every other aspect. I would even go further and say it’s some mark of respect (I just wish S/P thieves were as good and enjoyable as W:AR Witch Hunters).

GW1 Plagiarized?

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

That’s not a real game, it’s one of those asset clone games, they’re pretty much afk grind engines that all play the same, the only real difference is that they copy different assets from game to game. They’re made so that you pay top skip content, or to unlock further content. They’re not designed to be played, but simply to milk as much money as possible.