GW1 Winds of Change and GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Q:

I recently began to reminisce on my time playing GW1, and how fun that game was. I was looking back at the storylines and events, and came across the Winds of Change arc. Anet had said previously that the Winds of Change story sets the stage for Guild Wars 2. After 3 years, I’m wondering how and when the GW1 story will coincide with GW2.

Winds of Change was set primarily in Cantha. It showed the events years after the Shiro arc of Factions. It was a great story to play through. But the connection to GW2 ends there, as we all know that Cantha was removed from Tyrian lore entirely. Divinity’s Reach even had a Canthan district, before it was turn into the Great Collapse. As popular as that world was, it was decided that it didn’t fit into the direction of GW2. The slight ray of hope remains, as Anet introduced teasers that the Zephyrites visit Cantha on a regular basis, before Mordremoth blew them out of the sky to get to Glint’s eggs.

My question to GW1 fans who played this storyline: Has anyone noticed anything in GW2 that has a connection to the Winds of Change? Are there any types of reference or NPC relationship to characters played in the Winds of Change arc?

I’ve been looking into Marjory’s character background, as she’s the only Canthan main character in the Living Story world. I hoped to find some connections that could tie her to Reiko or Miku, but I’ve come up empty.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Captain Hao Luen is a Canthan, but he does say much to you except go “Yarr!”

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Smooth Penguin.5294

I’m talking about the Winds of Change storyline, and how it connects to GW2.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Actually, OP, you sort of not right. Guild Wars Beyond, all of it, sets the stage for Guild Wars 2. Some of it more directly than others. For example, War in Kryta is part of Guild Wars Beyond and that’s more directly related to Guild Wars 2. Winds of change is only one small part of Guild Wars Beyond.

The only thing I can think of that directly affects Guild Wars 2 is that the boss at the end is introduces the new style mesmer.

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

;)

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Indeed. Their response really does not have any relation to the question that was posed…
It basically equates to your asking for a list of the ingredients in a McDonald’s hamburger and their responding with giving you a10% off coupon for a hamburger at Wendy’s that is expired. Both the question and the coupon involve the word hamburger so it’s relevant! -_-

I’m sorry, Penguin, I have not seen anything related to the Winds of Change storyline from GW1 in GW2. Not yet, anyway.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Smooth Penguin.5294

I do recall a Dev discussing the fight as how GW2 Mesmer fights would be. But ultimately, if the Winds of Change was just a story about how or why Cantha became closed off, I’ll be quite disappointed.

I like finding little pieces of lore that connect the two games together. I didn’t spend 8 years of my life playing a game, only to forget about it.

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

Yeah, just saying, that thread is probably where this thread is headed to, given the precedence.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I do recall a Dev discussing the fight as how GW2 Mesmer fights would be. But ultimately, if the Winds of Change was just a story about how or why Cantha became closed off, I’ll be quite disappointed.

I like finding little pieces of lore that connect the two games together. I didn’t spend 8 years of my life playing a game, only to forget about it.

That’s all it is, sorry to disappoint you.

Smooth Penguin.5294

That’s all it is, sorry to disappoint you.

If I could, I would demand Mike O’Brien give us back a part of the GW universe that is sorely missed.

Edit – I’d prefer the Mods lock this thread than to merge it with one that’s 3 years old and forgotten.

(edited by Smooth Penguin.5294)

Posted by: BrettM.9062

BrettM.9062

If it weren’t for “Winds of Change” in GW1, would there be a Dominion of Winds in GW2? There’s one of your connections. Though it has yet to bear much fruit, I’m sure that the tengu will eventually have their day in the sun in the GW2 story.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

As you yourself already said, Winds of Change only serves to show us why Cantha has closed itself off from outsiders. It also serves to show that the Tengu have all kind of converged on the same area (Dominion of Winds).

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

But ultimately, if the Winds of Change was just a story about how or why Cantha became closed off, I’ll be quite disappointed.

Yeah, I think that’s what they meant. At the time WoC was in progress, GW2 was still under development but we’d heard about Cantha closing its borders and so forth. I believe the stage-setting done by WoC was showing how that came to pass (or at least the early stages of it).

Cantha is one of those things I just don’t get my hopes up on It hasn’t been worth it.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

Captain Hao Luen is a Canthan, but he does say much to you except go “Yarr!”

Canthan naval war expansion confirmed.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

If it weren’t for “Winds of Change” in GW1, would there be a Dominion of Winds in GW2?

Probably, yes:

When Zhaitan awoke in 1219 AE, in an event the tengu call the Great Tsunami, the tengu of the world saw it as a sign to return to Tyria. It was a descendant of Talon Silverwing that led the charge through Zhaitan’s risen forces, and when the tengu reached land, they built their Dominion atop the island once known as Sanctum Cay, and unified their clans into the four modern houses, one for each of the winds. Out of fear of a repeated past, they constructed a great wall to encircle their city, and non-tengu are not permitted to enter.

(source: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tengu#Great_Tsunami)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Anet had said previously that the Winds of Change story sets the stage for Guild Wars 2.

They said that the events of Guild Wars Beyond set the stage for GW2…and it did. We meet Keiran Thackeray, and see how he & his true love (everyone’s favorite child mesmer, Gwen) evolved and how they found the Ebonhawke.

Since they are Logan’s ancestors, I’m not sure what more you could ask in terms of a lore connection, especially since Logan was a founder of Destiny’s Edge.

Winds of Change was set primarily in Cantha.

Or entirely in Cantha.

But the connection to GW2 ends there, as we all know that Cantha was removed from Tyrian lore entirely.

Cantha wasn’t removed from Tyrian lore — the entire continent isolated itself and with no news leaving their shores, there just isn’t much to say.

Divinity’s Reach even had a Canthan district, before it was turn into the Great Collapse.

DR never had a Canthan district. The early design included one, but the actual game that launched on 28 August 2012 did not; within the game, it was always the Great Collapse (and now, the Crown Pavilion).

Source: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Crown_Pavilion

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Cantha wasn’t removed from Tyrian lore — the entire continent isolated itself and with no news leaving their shores, there just isn’t much to say.

It’s the same thing. Cantha’s isolation and Palwala Joko/Krahlkawhatever sitting in the desert linking Tyria and Elona are both plot devices specifically intended to signify why they have no bearing on the events of the game.

No new news has come out of either area and so much time has passed that both the cultures and landscapes are no longer even remotely close to the Elona and Cantha of GW1. The Luxons and Kurzicks don’t even exist anymore as vassal states and most of Elona is now a desert filled with undead with Vabbi and Kourna likely in ruins.

Until the barriers are lifted, they can both be considered to have floated off the ground and into space for all the difference it makes.

DR never had a Canthan district. The early design included one, but the actual game that launched on 28 August 2012 did not; within the game, it was always the Great Collapse (and now, the Crown Pavilion).

There were demo shots of the Canthan district that got released before the game launched. It did exist in a real form but not in the live game.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/4/47/2010_May_Divinity's_Reach_Canthan_district_Polished.jpg

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

(edited by Substance E.4852)

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

There were demo shots of the Canthan district that got released before the game launched. It did exist in a real form but not in the live game.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/4/47/2010_May_Divinity's_Reach_Canthan_district_Polished.jpg

I think Illconceived’s point was that since the Canthan district was never there at launch (and not mentioned in dialogue) it is not canon that the Canthan district ever existed, even if it was planned to be the Canthan district before launch. In lore the Great Collapse was the art district.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think Illconceived’s point was that since the Canthan district was never there at launch (and not mentioned in dialogue) it is not canon that the Canthan district ever existed, even if it was planned to be the Canthan district before launch. In lore the Great Collapse was the art district.

Exactly so. Demos aren’t part of the “real form.”

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”