GW2 DEV impromptu Interview In The Mists

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

John Peters has answered a few questions while running around in the Heart of the Mists. He revealed some juice tidbits including talking about some of the upcoming patch notes. He revealed that the patch notes will be almost 5 pages long and includes lots of bullet points for Rangers and Mesmers as well as a huge number of bug fixes. The full list and bonus picture can be found on Reddit posted by iomegadrive1 (give them some Karma love).
According to Jon Peters in the mists a few hours ago:
The profession part of the upcoming patch notes is roughly 5 pages long.
~16 bullet points for rangers.
~30 bullet points for engis.
Mesmers saw the fewest number of changes.
“Tons” of bug fixes.
“Some” balance changes.
Portal is a cool ability that’s important to the game but has some problems (whatever that means from their perspective idk).
The ability to use custom dyes in pvp is possibly coming in a December patch.
Broken treb and lord announcements should be fixed soon.
Target of target and player cast bars are low priority but something they might look at in the future.
Probably no hope of ever letting us disable the terrible skill queue.
Custom rankings, obs mode, etc. all “on the way” (as usual).”

Original story at:
http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/john-peters-does-an-impromptu-interview-in-the-mists/

Sounds awesome.

I smell nerf bat coming for the mesmer portals as great as they are let’s face it using them to cheat bypass the keep reinforced defences, kill the lord and claim the keep is not cool at all.

Moderator edit: removed CoC infraction from the title

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: TimeBomb.3427

TimeBomb.3427

Thanks for the info. 5 pages of patch notes makes me happy.

Posted by: Smoothy.1085

Smoothy.1085

What are bullet points? :/

Posted by: XxTAFxX.6741

XxTAFxX.6741

I was thinking this as well.
What are bullet points?

Posted by: Downstairs Eddie.8125

Downstairs Eddie.8125

• these
  • are
  • bullet
It just means that’s the number of changes made.

Posted by: Smoothy.1085

Smoothy.1085

Ah ok, thx for the answer

Posted by: Satakal.6971

Satakal.6971

What would be “custom dyes” ? Would that mean you wouldn’t be dyed red or blue but would be able to keep your dyes?

Very excited for mesmer changes! Hope they’re not nefrs lol.

Posted by: ZeroStatic.2176

ZeroStatic.2176

Sigh Mesmers with the fewest changes again.

I hope this time they’ll actually fix trait / skill bugs for the mesmer rather than just nerf stuff again.

Posted by: TrickSmartly.7391

TrickSmartly.7391

do the class changes launch on the 16th or the 18th?

Posted by: Hycinthus.6483

Hycinthus.6483

Thank you engineer really need this. Anyway how do some people not know what bullet points are? Is it called differently in other countries?

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

I look forward to having my thief nerfed so hard he uses dirty laundry as weapons. Dont forget the underwear throw – a good 2 sec stun.

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

I would like the changes to skills are well separated pve / pvp … By the nerve that goes on all Mesmer starts to rub off on my gaming experience more it goes, the more I hate the game …

# Asura because I’m worth it!

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Thank you engineer really need this. Anyway how do some people not know what bullet points are? Is it called differently in other countries?

If by need it you mean they need Grenade and bomb kit nerfed with some other stuff tweaked slightly to be brought up then yeah they do. Hopefully it finally happens this patch.

Posted by: Hycinthus.6483

Hycinthus.6483

If by need it you mean they need Grenade and bomb kit nerfed with some other stuff tweaked slightly to be brought up then yeah they do. Hopefully it finally happens this patch.

Um no, engineers do not need nerfed. We need buffed, as you will see in the patch notes tomorrow, I can already guarantee, if not I will eat spaghetti through my nose.

Posted by: Efaicia.3672

Efaicia.3672

I hope this time they’ll actually fix trait / skill bugs for the mesmer rather than just nerf stuff again.

What do you mean mesmers with the fewest changes? The Elementalist get none, zero, zip, nada. Even though we are The Only Class which is overly dependant on Game Mechanics, to the extent that we have to learn them just to be functional, whereas other classess can go to the top of end game (dungeon gear, legendaries and PvP ranks) without even knowing what a field is, or what finishers they bring.

Not to mention our massive list of bugged and non-functional abilities. ..seriously, at least your class is functional.

Levetty.1279

Um no, engineers do not need nerfed. We need buffed, as you will see in the patch notes tomorrow, I can already guarantee, if not I will eat spaghetti through my nose.

If Engineers get buffed with no nerfs to Grenades or bombs then we all might as well quit because obviously Anet doesn’t care about balancing.

Latinkuro.9420

I believe all classes will see both nerfs and buffs to some of their abilities as well as mechanics changes.

I do hope there’s an update for the culling issue in WvW coming with this update.

Posted by: zippo burntfur.9307

zippo burntfur.9307

I’m interested in what happen’s to the ranger, I still play mine often. But my biggest problem is not just limited to the ranger, it’s the obstructed message with ranged combat when there is nothing in the way. No matter what though 5 pages of patch notes sounds like a good thing.

“We don’t need to make gear treadmills”
Colin Johanson on how arenanet measures success

Posted by: ZeroStatic.2176

ZeroStatic.2176

What do you mean mesmers with the fewest changes? The Elementalist get none, zero, zip, nada. Even though we are The Only Class which is overly dependant on Game Mechanics, to the extent that we have to learn them just to be functional, whereas other classess can go to the top of end game (dungeon gear, legendaries and PvP ranks) without even knowing what a field is, or what finishers they bring.

Not to mention our massive list of bugged and non-functional abilities. ..seriously, at least your class is functional.

You claim they get zero changes, which implies that either:
1.) They get zero changes in other patches.
2.) They get zero changes in the coming patch based on the impromptu interview.
In case of the first:
Ele changes in at least three October patches, these can all be found in the Announcements section of the forums.

In case of the second:
The OP states mesmer had the fewest changes. If Ele’s truly got zero this statement would be false.

So I’m not entirely sure what you’re getting at here.

Latinkuro.9420

Some people only read what they want to see not what is truly being written/ said, I feel sorry for such people.

Nowhere in that post does it say X profession will not see any changes, at best it says X profession has seen the fewest changes.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

Ranger was the only class completely left out of the prev big update.

So many traits don’t work like the tooltip says they should.

Mesmer portal – WvW has become almost all portal bombs. They are fun to do, but the whole strategy is based on exploiting dysfunctional (dare I say buggy without getting infraction?) rendering. When the overall meta depends on a broken game, it’s bad for the game and its image. Similar to orbs, which were sometimes hacked and always accused of being hacked, so needed to be removed.

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

oh god i’m hyped.

curse you :x shakes fist

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: dirtyklingon.2918

dirtyklingon.2918

i’d say if nothing else it’s very cool that instead of doing a controlled interview that says little more than the pr line to some random blog or youtuber shill dressed up as journalism…

someone from the company actually go in game and engaged players themselves directly.

who doesn’t love wow clones?

Latinkuro.9420

I would totally fall of my chair and break a leg if capes were in this update

Efaicia.3672

In case of the first:
Ele changes in at least three October patches, these can all be found in the Announcements section of the forums.

In case of the second:
The OP states mesmer had the fewest changes. If Ele’s truly got zero this statement would be false.

In the coming patch is what I meant.
Yes, I am annoyed, not at you, at the fact that I always choose (seemingly) the most broken and kitten (kitten is kittened? o.O)classes in games, this game has me at my wits end when I learned how brainless other classes get to be whith how they are played compared to how MUCH an Ele has to worry about. It is ignored to no end, Why are Elementalists the only ones who need to think about game-wide mechanics?
Be thankful that you have one of the better functioning classes that evidently is more deserving of balance passes.

(edited by Efaicia.3672)

Posted by: Vasham.2408

Vasham.2408

~30 bullet points for engis.

Give me weapon stats when using kits and unbugged/improved traits and we’re golden.

dirtyklingon.2918

ele is quite good as is afaict. it’s just not a typical fire mage/nuker class as in other games.

try playing the class for what it is, rather than your preconceptions based on wow/eq/wowclones and i think you’ll find the class is very powerful and fun to play.

alternatively there are other classes that have similar feel and style to typical nuker/mage classes in other games. at least far more so than ele.

i would not expect this patch to change them into the stereotpyical wow clone fire mage nuker by any means.

Posted by: Freohr.7905

Freohr.7905

Why was the OP infracted for this? :/

Anyway, sounds good. I’m looking forward to seeing the changes to Ranger.

If having a bigger blob means victory then you will blob.
Sun Tzu said that, and I think he knows a little more about fighting than you do, pal.

Latinkuro.9420

It’s fine I didn’t know about not using staff names and stuff my bad, title changed to something more generic but still saying what needs to be said.

dirtyklingon.2918

quoting devs/employees or usign their names on this forum is against the rules. XD

Latinkuro.9420

back on topic.

I personally will be reading the warrior changes with excitement and anticipation.
Also looking forward to all the nerfs to hit thieves and mesmers.

Efaicia.3672

ele is quite good as is afaict. it’s just not a typical fire mage/nuker class as in other games.

try playing the class for what it is, rather than your preconceptions based on wow/eq/wowclones and i think you’ll find the class is very powerful and fun to play.

alternatively there are other classes that have similar feel and style to typical nuker/mage classes in other games. at least far more so than ele.

i would not expect this patch to change them into the stereotpyical wow clone fire mage nuker by any means.

I am quite aware of what Ele is, I expected not your typical cloth class, and I got that, my issues lie elsewhere. So please don’t bring me your generic “Ele isn’t your WoW fire mage” (Never played it btw)

What does bother me is when I ask my husband in all seriousness “What fields do you have?” his honest answer is “What is a field?” because that is how much other classes need/care about comboing. Which is far and away unbalanced that one class is non functional without them when every other class could care less about them.
I am not asking for a buff, or anything else. I am asking that they make the Game-Wide mechanics equally important for all the classes so I am not forever explaning them as the only class who needs to pay attention to them.

As far as the rest, the list of bugged and broken abilities for Ele is extensive, and yet again ignored. Yes, that does bother me.

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

In case of the first:

In case of the second:

In the coming patch is what I meant.
Yes, I am annoyed, not at you, at the fact that I always choose (seemingly) the most broken and kitten (kitten is kittened? o.O)classes in games, this game has me at my wits end when I learned how brainless other classes get to be whith how they are played compared to how MUCH an Ele has to worry about. It is ignored to no end, Why are Elementalists the only ones who need to think about game-wide mechanics?
Be thankful that you have one of the better functioning classes that evidently is more deserving of balance passes.

If engineers are looking like they will have the most changes at 30 points, and mesmers stated as having the least, logically wouldn’t that put elementalist somewhere in between………… ? stop jumping to conclusions until you see the full patch notes?

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Levetty.1279

I am quite aware of what Ele is, I expected not your typical cloth class, and I got that, my issues lie elsewhere. So please don’t bring me your generic “Ele isn’t your WoW fire mage” (Never played it btw)

What does bother me is when I ask my husband in all seriousness “What fields do you have?” his honest answer is “What is a field?” because that is how much other classes need/care about comboing. Which is far and away unbalanced that one class is non functional without them when every other class could care less about them.
I am not asking for a buff, or anything else. I am asking that they make the Game-Wide mechanics equally important for all the classes so I am not forever explaning them as the only class who needs to pay attention to them.

As far as the rest, the list of bugged and broken abilities for Ele is extensive, and yet again ignored. Yes, that does bother me.

Everybody has to learn about fields and combos if they want to do well in in dungeons/tPvP/organised WvWvW groups. So I presume you meant that Eles have to learn it for leveling? That is just one of those things, not all classes are equal in open world PvE because of the way they are designed.

Posted by: teviko.6049

teviko.6049

mesmers are totally getting nerfed again.

How can they nerf us even more???

Efaicia.3672

Everybody has to learn about fields and combos if they want to do well in in dungeons/tPvP/organised WvWvW groups. So I presume you meant that Eles have to learn it for leveling? That is just one of those things, not all classes are equal in open world PvE because of the way they are designed.

See, that’s where you are wrong. My husband has been lvl 80 and fully geared with his choice of dungeon armor for quite some time now, not to mention a bulldozer in pvp. You can plug your ears all you want the truth remains though. No other class is as dependent on combo’ing just to function with the smallest of things as the Ele.

Xenesis.6389

Not sure what’s fired you so much about combo fields, I take them to be bonus fields. Combo fields mostly come from aoeing, Elementalist being one of the better aoe classes have access to more of it then other classes. Warriors are not really an aoe class, other than using the bow with fire fields, being that he’s a “bulldozer” I doubt he even plays range then, their strength is more with support with banners and shouts when it comes to “comboing”, but that’s for buffing other people. So not really a fair comparison.

Elementalist don’t need to monitor every combo field in order to function, and I look at it as being bonus damage or conditions elementalist provide for other classes. Most of your fields other than water should be dropping on the mob anyways so most people would be taking advantage of them anyways.

North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.

Efaicia.3672

Not sure what’s fired you so much about combo fields, I take them to be bonus fields. Combo fields mostly come from aoeing, Elementalist being one of the better aoe classes have access to more of it then other classes. Warriors are not really an aoe class, other than using the bow with fire fields, being that he’s a “bulldozer” I doubt he even plays range then, their strength is more with support with banners and shouts when it comes to “comboing”, but that’s for buffing other people. So not really a fair comparison.

Elementalist don’t need to monitor every combo field in order to function, and I look at it as being bonus damage or conditions elementalist provide for other classes. Most of your fields other than water should be dropping on the mob anyways so most people would be taking advantage of them anyways.

You are deliberately ignoring the point. I am not talking about running with a zerg with a staff. I am talking about simple soloing. How many times did we see threads about how horribly weak Ele’s are in the Ele forums? Just until recently when people have started to figure out the combos has it lessened. Staff? was regarded as completely useless until very recently when people discovered combos. No matter what you say, or how you close your eyes to it. If the mechanics are made to be so game breakingly important to one class they should be that way for every class. If they are going to leave Ele’s like this then it is only balanced that every class have the same learning requirement. It should be an intricate part of every classes play from the beginning Not just the Elementalist.

Posted by: Chris.7653

Chris.7653

I can’t believe Mesmer got the least amount of changes…

Latinkuro.9420

@Efaicia.
I love ele’s and have always been an ele in all other mmorpg’s but….
I knew from beta that the ele was gonna be a bit complex to play because of all the core mechanic changes GW2 brought to the table. The learning curve is indeed a bit more steep than other classes because you have to learn extra mechanics on top of all the new common to all profession mechanics.

Which is why I dropped ele for warrior, now that I’ve learned all the common mechanics I will be picking an ele next again.

on topic:

not all professions are equal, if you chose the ele well don’t complain now about the one thing that makes them unique, it is by far the class with the most access to combo fields and finishers.

almost every class has this kind of uniqueness to them that they must learn, some more than others, you just happen to choose the one with the most to learn, which makes sense it is after all a scholar profession.

Xenesis.6389

If you’re using combos for soloing then why are you even worried about others knowing about combo fields? If you don’t like using combo fields you can switch to the other weapons, you don’t have to use staff on solo play. I’ve played an ele to 80 and know they feel weak(switched to necro as main, the power of wells…), I used sceptor/dagger and had to rotate through 3 attunements in order to kill a single mob, it’s one of the highest attack rotations needed, unlike say a ranger which can quickly kill a mob without even needing to weapon switch.

Again I don’t view combo fields as something you need to use on yourself but a bonus you provide to other classes. If you’re aoeing, you’re doing it on the mob, most times people will get the combo done, if not then you also have control of where to drop the aoe in positions they can take advantage of it.

You have access to other weapons which can kill faster for solo play, but if you refuse to play with the other weapons, then that’s really your problem, at this point you’re basically using fields as a crutch to try and match the damage of dagger/dagger. Not every weapon is equal, stave’s are good for group kills not so much for solo play.

BrunoBRS.5178

^ having to quickly, constantly change attunements is part of why i find eles so fun.

regarding fields and finishers, i play a dual dagger ele. no need to worry about laying fields and finishing them to maximize damage.

Posted by: Jabronee.9465

Jabronee.9465

Target of target and player cast bars are low priority <— seriously??
For an action based mmorpg?
Omg Anet what have you been smokin?

Latinkuro.9420

They are !

being able to see who is being targeted or
being able to see what your opponent is casting is so meh not skill based at all
learn to recognize key skills by their animations !

cast bars makes it monkey brain easy to interrupt someone it’s not even a challenge !
SWTOR powertech aka healer shredder anyone ?

BrunoBRS.5178

i don’t even know what these mean, but i’ll guess:

target of target means seeing in the UI who your target is aiming. for a game that you rarely if ever have to target someone (i do just fine with target assist), it really is pointless.

player cast bars, i assume is being able to see your enemy’s cast time and what they’re using. once again, pointless in a game that hardly has cast bars, and most last 3 seconds at most, and where each skill is visually unique.

i see those being very useful in non-action MMOs, but in action MMOs, the visual hints are more than enough.

Posted by: Velg.3170

Velg.3170

player cast bars, i assume is being able to see your enemy’s cast time and what they’re using. once again, pointless in a game that hardly has cast bars, and most last 3 seconds at most, and where each skill is visually unique.

Some times I’ve been trying to time mesmer’s Feedback on boss based on his skill animations and found out that I’ve barely seen it – boss was obscured almost entirely by some shiny AoE effects from my party Made it almost impossible. Otherwise, ofc, it’s really fine.

Efaicia.3672

Forget it, you are missing the point still. It is not that the ele is too difficult or that i dont like it, it is that it is the only class in the game so dependent on game mechanics. It is not the switching of attunements, it is not the low hp, or the different strats with different weapons, it is not any of those things, it is the fact that it is the only class in game that NEEDS to use the game-wide mechanics even to solo. If they were specific mechanics to the Ele then it would be understandable, but these are game wide mechanics that ONLY the ele is forced to NEED to know. If you all are still going to treat me like I do not know how to play the Ele then I just don’t know what to say. It is not the Ele that needs fixing (other than the list of known bugs) it is the other classes that need to NEED the game mechanics as much as the Ele.

BrunoBRS.5178

Forget it, you are missing the point still. It is not that the ele is too difficult or that i dont like it, it is that it is the only class in the game so dependent on game mechanics. It is not the switching of attunements, it is not the low hp, or the different strats with different weapons, it is not any of those things, it is the fact that it is the only class in game that NEEDS to use the game-wide mechanics even to solo. If they were specific mechanics to the Ele then it would be understandable, but these are game wide mechanics that ONLY the ele is forced to NEED to know. If you all are still going to treat me like I do not know how to play the Ele then I just don’t know what to say. It is not the Ele that needs fixing (other than the list of known bugs) it is the other classes that need to NEED the game mechanics as much as the Ele.

have you tried dropping the staff and playing something that doesn’t rely so much on AoEs?

’cause my dagger ele literally never worries about fields and finishers, and does just fine by exploding bleeds and burns everywhere.

Latinkuro.9420

You don’t seem to grasp what we are trying to tell you either,

the ele is a scholar profession, yes the core mechanic for it is the game wide combo fields and finishers mechanic, but that is their strong point no other profession has such access to those as ele’s do. you should be happy actually, I myself as a warrior only have access to 1 fire field and 2-3 blast finishers, 1-2 leap finishers, 1-2 whirl finishers.

Still, what you say is understandable from an ele’s point of view but, than again you chose that profession and that IS their bread and butter !

on a different note:
I have an ele alt as well, and the only weapon that requires this much field and finisher interaction to be viable for solo play is the staff….!
maybe if you switched to a more solo oriented weapon you wouldn’t have so much trouble soloing, and yes I know you said it’s about all professions being on equal footing but than again you don’t see me asking for stealth or banish or symbols do you ?

Efaicia.3672

You don’t seem to grasp what we are trying to tell you either,

the ele is a scholar profession, yes the core mechanic for it is the game wide combo fields and finishers mechanic, but that is their strong point no other profession has such access to those as ele’s do. you should be happy actually, I myself as a warrior only have access to 1 fire field and 2-3 blast finishers, 1-2 leap finishers, 1-2 whirl finishers.

Still, what you say is understandable from an ele’s point of view but, than again you chose that profession and that IS their bread and butter !

on a different note:
I have an ele alt as well, and the only weapon that requires this much field and finisher interaction to be viable for solo play is the staff….!
maybe if you switched to a more solo oriented weapon you wouldn’t have so much trouble soloing, and yes I know you said it’s about all professions being on equal footing but than again you don’t see me asking for stealth or banish or symbols do you ?

I solo with S/D …you need to stack might with that as well. I have never used staff to solo for a great length of time as it is very slow feeling. It has it’s place but for me that is not soloing.

The Elementalists mechanics are the elements and attunements, just as the mesmer is the mirror images, and the necro has the undead pets. The elementalist mechanics is not comboing, that is a game mechanic, and if other classes are not going to be equally dependent on them they then need to reduce the elementalists’. Or they can bring the other classes up, as most would agree, Ele is one of, if not THE most fun class in game. I just don’t see why so many fight so vehemently to stop them making other classess as interesting.

(edited by Efaicia.3672)